PDA

View Full Version : Why do people say Vince Carter plays with no heart?

JordansBulls
01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
People will say Vince Carter has no heart, but is that really true.

It is obvious he burned the Toronto franchise, but in reality before and after that can we really say he is the same person that doesn't play with passion or heart?

Here is a clip where Iverson mentions both T-mac and Carter by name saying they show a ton of heart on the court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQAxaGLxsIw

It is at the 32:06-32:51 mark.

With that in mind, do you agree with Iverson in that Vince plays with heart?

Wade>You
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
IMO: No emotion, no playoff success, comes up short in the clutch.

Hustlenomics
01-09-2011, 04:30 PM
well if the little man who plays with more heart than anyone else says he plays with heart i guess he does! plus he was out on the court against him

ink
Pretty subjective thread. You're bound for a stalemate on this one because the ones who dislike Vince generally do because they think he lacks heart. The others who like Vince will tell them they're wrong. :shrug: Not sure if you can measure heart or prove it one way or another.

Minimal
No

J-Relo
01-09-2011, 04:40 PM
He's a robot. So he kinda has no heart. You know, like that guy from California.

PS: he plays with some pation. at least.

Swashcuff
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Damn I sure miss A.I. Played with as much heart as anyone to ever hold a basketball.

Evolution23
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Pretty subjective thread. You're bound for a stalemate on this one because the ones who dislike Vince generally do because they think he lacks heart. The others who like Vince will tell them they're wrong. :shrug: Not sure if you can measure heart or prove it one way or another.

This. this is a pointless thread.

Geargo Wallace
01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I clicked yes because I misread the question.

VC doesn't know what heart is. Steve Nash plays with heart. KG plays with heart. VC is just too comfortable and disinterested I feel. He is happy where he is and not really a winner.

Geargo Wallace
01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
This. this is a pointless thread.

guess who made it?

Swashcuff
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I clicked yes because I misread the question.

VC doesn't know what heart is. Steve Nash plays with heart. KG plays with heart. VC is just too comfortable and disinterested I feel. He is happy where he is and not really a winner.

If that's how you feel then u made the correct choice.

ClayMatthews
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
He obviously has a heart that pumps the blood through his veins and arteries to his organs.

sep11ie
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
It's cause he literally has no heart, I think he lost it in Vietnam.

smith&wesson
01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
we use to think carter had no heart because he would sit out games due to any nagging injury, but now he plays through those injuries so i think his atitude has changed alot. so has his talent though.

Jsoul101
01-09-2011, 05:01 PM
VC got potential, but it seems he stopped to improve after 3-4 years after coming into the nba..I don't think you can say he plays with no heart, he's a decent player.

210Don
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
i think its the injury things. there was a game on tnt a while where they talked about vcs injurys and that no one believed him no more or something like that anyone watch that game?

AddiX
01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
VC is trash, have you ever seen him "click" with any team he's played on? With his talent he should of put up MVP numbers with Jason Kidd. Carter is the most over-rated player in NBA history.

No one on his team ever knows wtf he is doing.

DerekRE_3
01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
He might have a heart....but he doesn't have http://i55.tinypic.com/2cor3fd.jpg

tangent12
01-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Vince Carter is a loser, end of story. With the kind of talent he has there's no excuse to sometimes give it your all and other times just suck *** and settle for jump shots and circus shots.

No heart, no commitment, no winning mentality, no desire - just a straight up loser like his pathetic third cousin.

sep11ie
01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
He might have a heart....but he doesn't have http://i55.tinypic.com/2cor3fd.jpg

Looks like Scola is laughing at him there.

koLohe2133
01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Huge iverson fan but he must have been drunk

MrfadeawayJB
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Did anyone see the game against LA the other night when he did not even try to close out on a wide open Ron Artest in a crucial last minute of the game...that= no heart

Mrphilly
01-09-2011, 05:34 PM
If Vince Carter had any heart, he would be one of the top players in this league. His skill set is off the charts, but since he is a woman, he doesnt play to his max ability.

No Heart is what stop Vince Carter from being Dwayne Wade. Instead he is just a 3 point shooting chump, that uses he 50 inch vertical to get good jump shot off. What a waste.

masalex1205
01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
b/c he does? He could have been one of the all-time greats

masalex1205
01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
If Vince Carter had any heart, he would be one of the top players in this league. His skill set is off the charts, but since he is a woman, he doesnt play to his max ability.

No Heart is what stop Vince Carter from being Dwayne Wade. Instead he is just a 3 point shooting chump, that uses he 50 inch vertical to get good jump shot off. What a waste.

one of the best posts I've ever read on PSD

JIDsanity
01-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes

Korman12
01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
He has his "own version" of heart, which is playing when he feels like it.

yshNYK
01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I used to watch him in NJ and he def. was fun to watch and played with passion..however he isn't a winner. Idk how to explain it but in the end he always falls short...and this was with J.Kidd on his team...and we all saw what happened with Orlando..

always loved VC and wish that he can still find success somewhere soon

Rego247
01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
no he has no heart. shame really he coulda been one of the greats, but didnt wanna work for it.

to see him from what he started out as in toronto, and to what he is now. its pathetic.

Sly Guy
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM

pretty much this.

And vince has no heart.

uptownfan
01-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Vince Carter is a loser, end of story. With the kind of talent he has there's no excuse to sometimes give it your all and other times just suck *** and settle for jump shots and circus shots.

No heart, no commitment, no winning mentality, no desire - just a straight up loser like his pathetic third cousin.

Damn...

You would probably get jumped if you said that to their faces... lol

tangent12
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I know :D :D

ManningToTyree
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
he has heart.he plays hard, he is just a loser

SteveNash
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
What does AI know about having heart? It's really pretty simple, looking back at VC's career, did he do what he was capable of (excluding "injuries" and even winning) not even close. Lack of heart.

LanceUpperCut
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
He's a mama's boy, I remember when the baby told us Raptor fans he didn't want to dunk anymore, upset cause the media was on his *** for playing like a *****.
Crazy how his career turned when he left T.O. even in NJ he wasn't even close to the same level, except when he played T.O.

JordansBulls
01-10-2011, 12:04 AM
What does AI know about having heart? It's really pretty simple, looking back at VC's career, did he do what he was capable of (excluding "injuries" and even winning) not even close. Lack of heart.

Don't say that man.

Sadds The Gr8
01-10-2011, 12:07 AM
he has no heart at all. He has no emotion and chokes in big games, fakes injuries...that's why Orlando dumped him. Wince will never win a title.

VinSUNity
01-10-2011, 02:09 AM
take it from me a HUGE Vinsanity fan. follwed him since his days in North Carolina.. Listen VC has a HUGE heart. hes one of the kindest dudes in the NBA, a real class act off the court. On the court he plays with passion, but now days its only emotional SOME games. Probably 1/4 now...it used to be every night if you kids remember his days in Toronto at all. His heart isnt the problem. It's his Mentality.

HEART? yes. big one.
Mentality= weak though. hes hit so many huge clutch shots, done so many amazinzg plays, and yes ill say has the most god given talent a basketball player has ever been given. (yes more god given talent then Jordan..longer arms..higher hops) but he has a weak mentality. Sure hes hit tons of buzzer beaters to win games, but he still has a weka mentality. He doenst know how to approach the game at times and hes a beast but hes just like Tmac in the sense they get scared of certain situations. THey are both lazy and have bad worth ethic (which is why they are already pretty out of shape after being the most athletic guards in the league at one point). So he justh as a weak mentality, which shouldnt be confused with heart...

VinSUNity
01-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Crazy how his career turned when he left T.O. even in NJ he wasn't even close to the same level, except when he played T.O.

not true. His best season was right as he was traded to NJ. Hate it as much as you want toronto fans, Vince's best season of his career were his first season in New Jersey and his 2000 season in Toronto. Dont get me wrong I loved VC in Toronto most. but his game was COMPLETE when he first played with Kidd and Jefferson. Hence the 28 ppg and taking that team from the ******* to the top of the rankings.

JayW_1023
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Since when is Iverson a credible source about heart after that ludicrous practice rant? Vince Carter had the potential to be great, but he is way overrated.

There is no one who would pick him over Pierce if the 1998 draft happened all over again. Vince just was a marvelous athlete who was only really good for five seasons.

xbrackattackx
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Derrick Rose?

JasonJohnHorn
01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm a Raps fan, so I'm biased, but ever since he tanked his performance in Toronto, he just has not played with that same intensity. I think part of it is when he got to NJ, kidd was handling the ball a lot and in TO he was able to bring the ball up when he wanted (though he was great at moving without the ball and usually let the PG set the plays), and when it came to scoring, he had to share the shots with Jefferson, where as in TO he was always the first option. In Orlando he went one back, Nelson brought the ball up, and Turk, and Turk and Lewis would usually get shots before Vince, and Howard as well... so, it just seems that sinces he lost his position as a 'franchise' player in TO, he just hasn't put into the game what he did when TO bakc back-to-back playoff births. Carter is healthy, he's at an age where he should still be at his prime, or only coming down, and he's been playing like a guy who is 33 the last 6 or 7 years, and part of that is due to injury, but I think part of it is (and this is me speculating, I obviously have no clue what is going on in Carter's head), when he was in TO, he was the man, and he was playing for the team and for himself, but when he got to NJ, Kidd was the man, and he was playing to make for kidd's team, and I think when he stopped playing for himself, and started playing for other stars, be it Kidd and Jefferson, or Howard, he just doesnt play with the same heart. I remember one season in NJ Kidd had to make comments about teammates not being "in the game" and Kidd, even though Jersey was losing, busted his @$$ off, and I remember the Nets ended up going on a bug winning streak to close out the season and beat the Cavs for the last playoff spot in LBJ's second season. But it was Kidd who lit a fire under Carter's @$$.

When I have seen Carter on the floor, playing, I see a very talented player who has tremendous skill, and a good (not great) work ethic. But I have also never seen the passion and heart that I saw him play with in 01 when the Raps lost tot he 76ers in the second round. Carter played with so much heart and passion that year, and I have never seen him put that much into the game since. I havent watched every game he's played obviously, so NJ fans or Orlando fans are probably better equiped to answer this question. But that's my two cents.

JordansBulls
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Since when is Iverson a credible source about heart after that ludicrous practice rant? Vince Carter had the potential to be great, but he is way overrated.

There is no one who would pick him over Pierce if the 1998 draft happened all over again. Vince just was a marvelous athlete who was only really good for five seasons.

That is a misconception. Part of the reason is that Vince was in Toronto and currently look what Bosh did to the Raps as well. Not to mention Pierce started sitting out games in 2007 when he was threatening to leave if the C's didn't get him any help then Ray and KG came along.

Corey
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
That is a misconception. Part of the reason is that Vince was in Toronto and currently look what Bosh did to the Raps as well. Not to mention Pierce started sitting out games in 2007 when he was threatening to leave if the C's didn't get him any help then Ray and KG came along.

Pierce started sitting out games? He was injured, and the FO ASKED HIM to sit out so they could get a better draft pick.

Pierce never threatened anything, that's bull****.

JordansBulls
01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Pierce started sitting out games? He was injured, and the FO ASKED HIM to sit out so they could get a better draft pick.

Pierce never threatened anything, that's bull****.

Yes he did say he was going to leave, which is why they were pursuing Marion so hard. But then everything went there way once Ray came on board. I'll try to find the article if I can.

Here are some Google links for it, it was back in 2007.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Paul+Pierce+demands+trade+%22ESPN%22&hl=en&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

mvb815
01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
i'm a raptors fan and i love vince, he is a great player and played with a lot of emotion, it's just, there are 30 teams and only 1 team can make it. vince in his prime was leaving toronto entering nj and he had some good runs, but never quite made it to the top. you can't blame that on his will to play, even before his prime, game 7 against the 76ers despite the fact that he got there late to attend his graduation, he still played with a hell of a lot of heart.

he is ailing now, with a nagging knee so i don't blame him for falling off the face of the nba. he is nearing an early end of his career

AIRMAR72
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
VINCE has poor WILL and EFFORT furthermore hes always damage but his skillz are great in reality it always comes down to your WILL and EFFORT he got style but no substance

John Walls Era
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
VC has heart. Kobe doesn't. If Kobe had a heart he would let others win some time...

Is this what you meant? :)

GodsSon
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM

Don't sell prime VC short, he would have been better than Wade...I don't know if people seem to forget 1999-2001, but the guy was on par with Kobe in terms of overall talent; when you're being compared to Jordan as the "heir apparent", you're doing something right.

With that said, VC doesn't have heart, which is why he's bounced around to where he's now a shell of his former self...it's more sad and pathetic than anything.

AirCanada15ORL
01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Don't sell prime VC short, he would have been better than Wade...I don't know if people seem to forget 1999-2001, but the guy was on par with Kobe in terms of overall talent; when you're being compared to Jordan as the "heir apparent", you're doing something right.

With that said, VC doesn't have heart, which is why he's bounced around to where he's now a shell of his former self...it's more sad and pathetic than anything.

Agree. Honest truth, Wade is amazing player top 5 in league. But Vince's skill set is superior to Wades or was I mean. In their primes the only guards who had complete "Jordan esque" skill sets were in fact Kobe, Vince, and Tmac. And those guys all could stroke the 3 better than Jordan.

And No to who said the Raptors should have picked Pierce over VC if given chance. Think about the sitation. Pierce did the same thing, threatened to leave, and that all got fixed once Allen and KG appeared. VC never had that talent around him in his career. Pierce is younger than Vince and he is just as outa shape (hes still great player and his shooting makes up for it tho!). Put VC wish Shaq and he woulda had a ring as well. Im not promising anything or being biased, I agree that VC has a poor mentality which is why he is disapearing from the league like Tmac and AI. WHo all were once DOMINANT in this league. and a lot more entertaining then the kids these days....

Pierce by himself on the Raptors, yet a very comparable player to Vince in his prime and very talented as well could not have pulled off what Vince did for the Raptors in his prime by himself. not knocking pierce at all pierce is a different player.

JordansBulls
01-10-2011, 03:56 PM
VC has heart. Kobe doesn't. If Kobe had a heart he would let others win some time...

Is this what you meant? :)

Absolutely not.:)

TO to the CHI
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
The guy admitted to taking it easy at the end of his career with the Raptors. I think that automatically disqualifies him from the category of playing with heart.

Iverson's comments need to be considered in the context of the epic playoff series where him and Vince went off. That was before Vince starting going down like he got shot every time he was fouled, was pre-Michelle Carter getting all over him, and way before he stopped trying (and admitted to same).

Hasn't had heart for about a decade. At one point he may have though.

Rego247
01-10-2011, 04:35 PM

this.

carter's talent level during 1999-2001 was undeniable, he woulda way better than wade, but he had zero heart. his team is down 20-28 pts and hes laughing and joking with the opposing team. if he was injured he'd go down like he was shot.

like u said godson, now hes a shell of his former self. i watch him now and i cringe, its pretty pathetic.

Corey
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes he did say he was going to leave, which is why they were pursuing Marion so hard. But then everything went there way once Ray came on board. I'll try to find the article if I can.

Here are some Google links for it, it was back in 2007.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Paul+Pierce+demands+trade+%22ESPN%22&hl=en&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

So your proof is an ESPN columnist stating that Pierce demanded a trade? That's concrete. Your google search resulted in NO articles that said anything about Pierce demanding a trade. The top result was a forum :laugh2:

Pierce NEVER said anything in public, and had all conversations with the front office behind closed doors. The belief was always that he wouldn't resign if the team wasn't making progress. He never told the front office to trade him.

And guess what? He stuck with his franchise. Vince didn't.

AirCanada15ORL
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
So your proof is an ESPN columnist stating that Pierce demanded a trade? That's concrete. Your google search resulted in NO articles that said anything about Pierce demanding a trade. The top result was a forum :laugh2:

Pierce NEVER said anything in public, and had all conversations with the front office behind closed doors. The belief was always that he wouldn't resign if the team wasn't making progress. He never told the front office to trade him.

And guess what? He stuck with his franchise. Vince didn't.

I actually clearly remember Pierce naming he wants out of Boston if it doesnt get better...I definently remember wha whoever brought this up was talking about. Because I was like wow these spoiled kids these days..Vince, Tmac, Pierce superstar players that have everything from the franchises where they at and are asking to leave..