PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash Leaves Nike For Chinese Brand Luyou

ChiSox219
01-09-2011, 04:36 AM
http://solecollector.com/Sneakers/News/News--Steve-Nash-Leaves-Nike-For-Chinese-Brand-Luyou/

For the last week or so, there have been rumblings that Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash was the latest 'slightly past his prime' NBA superstar to take his endorsement talents to China. Today, new reports have surfaced confirming the move from Nike to China upstart Luyou, ending his 15-year stay with the brand. At a press event held in Beijing, the new partnership was formally announced, with Nash (unable to travel due to his Suns commitment) participating via video greeting.

Not only is Nash the latest "defector" to leave the U.S. footwear market for China, but is the third NBA League MVP to do so in the last decade along with Shaquille O'Neal and Kevin Garnett. Allen Iverson can very well make that jump as well. However, unlike Li-Ning and ANTA, Luyou is a virtually unheard of brand that is seemingly looking to make a big splash right away. We saw Chinese shoe brands take huge strides on U.S. soil in 2010. How much more progress do you expect them to make before the end of this year?

sunsfan88
01-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Soon he'll ditch Phoenix too. And I wouldnt blame him.

Draco
01-09-2011, 04:42 AM
I don't know about Luyous, I'll wait for Asik to sign a deal with Asics.

Duncan = Donkey
01-09-2011, 05:36 AM
http://counterkicks.com/tag/luyou-sport/

Picture of his shoe in this link

arkanian215
01-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Luyou should sign Rafer Alston. They can do a Skip to my Luyou commercial.

ZebraCity916
01-09-2011, 06:55 AM
It's gotta be for the money cause those shoes are ugly. Or maybe they perform really good?? :shrug:

J-Relo
01-09-2011, 07:22 AM
It's gotta be for the money cause those shoes are ugly. Or maybe they perform really good?? :shrug:

money.

Duncan = Donkey
01-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Of course its for the money, who cares what the shoes look like, grab as much money as you can, they are only shoes.

Bruno
01-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Are they gona be soccer style low-tops?

IAmKira
01-09-2011, 10:40 AM
look some sh%% payless would sell. Cough* SHAQ *COUGH*

PennyMy#1
01-09-2011, 11:07 AM
That looks weird:

http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/steve-nash-leaves-nike-signs-chinese-brand-luyou-1.jpg

PhillyFaninLA
01-09-2011, 11:20 AM

The Chinese and European markets are bigger and more lucrative than then US based ones. Forbes magazine as well as Bloomberg have published articles over the past 5 years about this. So there is more money in both those markets than the US markets in terms of advertising.

Consider this China has more total NBA fans than the US does citizens. I read a while ago that its something like 500 - 700 million NBA fans verse the 300 - 350 million total citizens in the US. I don't recall the European numbers so I won't state anything.

As far as the way the shoes actually look, its a different culture of of course the fashion is going to be different.

PHX2daDEATH
01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
First the shoe deals, next the players...just you watch...

koLohe2133
01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Doesn't Nike use 6 year old Chinese kids to make their shoes anyways?

jiggin
01-09-2011, 12:09 PM

most nba "street shoes" are ugly. Gimme the old converse or nothin'.

Back in the day, you didn't want people seeing your shoes, cause you were too fast for them to see em'!

Shoes in the NBA are like Tattoos in the NBA, way out of control and way idiotic that the public bites hook line and sinker on them being so awesome.

jiggin
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Doesn't Nike use 6 year old Chinese kids to make their shoes anyways?

probably in the same factory...

Hellcrooner
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Its time Europe and Usa put an end to Chinas competitive advantage on bussiness because their citizens are basicaly slaves.
We have to tax HEAVILY chinese products or they are going to destroy our economy .

jasonbird
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Steve is an old guy,ANd nike belongs to young men now.

topdog
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Well the Chinese make the shoes anyway so why not let them market as well? lol

SteveNash
01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Its time Europe and Usa put an end to Chinas competitive advantage on bussiness because their citizens are basicaly slaves.
We have to tax HEAVILY chinese products or they are going to destroy our economy .

China had little to do with Spain's economic collapse.

Also, wtf is this:
http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/luyou-chinese-brand-shoes-steve-nash-2-600x450.jpg

goshhhjosh
01-09-2011, 11:29 PM
I wonder how this will effect Nash's speed/agility seeing that the Chinese put lead in everything.

Hellcrooner
01-09-2011, 11:29 PM
China had little to do with Spain's economic collapse.

Also, wtf is this:
http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/luyou-chinese-brand-shoes-steve-nash-2-600x450.jpg

It has everything to do with the western world collapse.
Of course every country has had their own mistakes that didnt help precisely.
In usa its bout maddoffs and bout banks lending easy money to people that couldnt pay back, in spain its bout building more and increasingly expensive buildings and houses than the market was in reality demanding and people using them as a measure of speculation-

ClayMatthews
01-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Idiot. Maybe i can pick them up at walmart next to the shaq shoes.

masalex1205
01-10-2011, 12:03 AM
haha

thesparky33
01-10-2011, 01:05 AM
http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/steve-nash-leaves-nike-signs-chinese-brand-luyou-1.jpg

Seems like Steve's neck has grown... looking like a giraffe...

LA_Raiders
01-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Way to go china. He is about to retire

Duncan = Donkey
01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Way to go china. He is about to retire

:confused: huh

Fireworld
01-10-2011, 03:54 AM
That looks weird:

I know!! looks like a very bad attempt at photoshop.

kblo247
01-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Nash wants to **** up his feet like Ron Artest and Sasha Vujacic both did when they switched to those shoes after wearing Nikes for years :laugh2:

ChiSox219
01-10-2011, 04:15 AM
The Chinese and European markets are bigger and more lucrative than then US based ones. Forbes magazine as well as Bloomberg have published articles over the past 5 years about this. So there is more money in both those markets than the US markets in terms of advertising.

Consider this China has more total NBA fans than the US does citizens. I read a while ago that its something like 500 - 700 million NBA fans verse the 300 - 350 million total citizens in the US. I don't recall the European numbers so I won't state anything.

As far as the way the shoes actually look, its a different culture of of course the fashion is going to be different.

The question is, how many of those Chinese NBA fans will shell out $$$ for shoes? How many of those people will pay $100 USD?

Nash didn't have his own shoe with Nike, this year he was wearing the popular and well reviewed Hyperfuse, which is worn by dozens of other NBA players like Brandon Roy and Russell Westbrook.

A Nash signature shoe modestly priced will probably make Nash a lot more money than anything he's done with Nike.

most nba "street shoes" are ugly. Gimme the old converse or nothin'.

Back in the day, you didn't want people seeing your shoes, cause you were too fast for them to see em'!

Shoes in the NBA are like Tattoos in the NBA, way out of control and way idiotic that the public bites hook line and sinker on them being so awesome.

I don't understand how anyone can wear those Converse chucks. Beside being ****** shoes, they are plain and you see them everywhere, from Emo rockers to hipsters. They aren't cool.

But I guess it's all subjective anyway.

el_primo_nano
01-13-2011, 12:00 AM
ehhh. I wouldnt wear them, but if they are great for playing then why not.. He is getting a divorce, he needs some money :laugh:

SteveNash
01-13-2011, 02:54 AM
It has everything to do with the western world collapse.
Of course every country has had their own mistakes that didnt help precisely.
In usa its bout maddoffs and bout banks lending easy money to people that couldnt pay back, in spain its bout building more and increasingly expensive buildings and houses than the market was in reality demanding and people using them as a measure of speculation-

As I said, it had very little to do with China. Spain's economy isn't in the tank because of China's cheap exports.

montazingmvp
01-13-2011, 07:22 AM

thats total BS. there's no way almost 1/2 or even a third of china follows the nba. only a third of americans view the super bowl. and that includes several million people who hadn't even watched a football game all year. whatever source you read that from pulled that stat out of their ***...