PDA

View Full Version : NBA Officiating

tr3ymill3r
01-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I have watched a plethora of basketball and over the years I have to say that the NBA officiating has gotten worse year by year. The NBA releases statistics to vouch for the fact that they are doing a good job, but what do you expect them to say, and we all should understand how stats can be swayed. If you watch any game that is close in score the officiating fluctuates and often time takes a 180 degree turn once the 4th quarter hits. If it's not a foul in the 1st why is it in the 4th? I believe that the officials in the NBA much like other sports are too old to get up and down the court and just like any other person as time goes on reaction time decreases as well. I understand that the economy is rough and some are looking to extend the retirement age to 68, but when one single referee can dictate the outcome of a game things need to change. I'm not seeking a complete overhaul of the officials, because when the NBDL refs stepped in last preseason things weren't exactly dramatically better. I can't be the only one tired of seeing guys like Joey Crawford on every prime time game or Dick Bavetta. I'm not upset or ranting about particular calls, I'm more upset about the consistent inconsistency.

asandhu23
01-07-2011, 10:52 PM
NBA is rigged

210Don
01-07-2011, 10:52 PM
it was pretty bad in indy today thats all i know. but the technicals are horrible they can lose a game because of that. im sure the nba will hold back when a team loses a big playoff game because of a questionable T call

ManRam
01-07-2011, 10:57 PM
The hardest sport to officiate by far. I forget what announcer said it, but he said that every player should try to officiate a game and see how it goes. We have the luxury of instant replay, multiple angles and slow motion, the refs do not. All the while, they have to run up and down the court and 3 men have to look over all 10. Yes, they blow a ton of calls, but yes, it is incredibly easy for us to sit back and criticize them. There are inconsistencies, for sure, and rarely is a game called consistently from start to stop (probably has to do with 3 different people officiating).

Anyone who says the NBA is rigged is just juvenile.

For those who get real upset, how do you suggest the NBA fix it...and I don't want to hear from the people who chime in with wonderful insight saying "the NBA is rigged". Blah blah blah.

Htownballa1622
01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I thought of making this thread just now.I'm guessing youre watching houston/orlando.

there was a shot that was short and jordan hill grabbed it and they called offensive goaltending.

Nba officiating is garbage!

tangent12
01-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Thing is Darth Sternus is running the show and he keeps endorsing their dirt poor work by fining anyone who calls them out and criticizes what's going on. And as long as the commissioner himself is fine with the way they officiate, there's really no point in discussing this or hoping it'll get better.

Hustlenomics
01-07-2011, 11:03 PM
everytime i see dick bavetta or joe crawford reffing i know ****ery is about to take place

210Don
01-07-2011, 11:05 PM
everytime i see dick bavetta or joe crawford reffing i know ****ery is about to take place

dicks a good ref. joey on the other hand :mad:

ManRam
01-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I thought of making this thread just now.I'm guessing youre watching houston/orlando.

there was a shot that was short and jordan hill grabbed it and they called offensive goaltending.

Nba officiating is garbage!

That was a bad call.

That was also just about the only blatantly bad call of the night. Refs aren't robots, they'll mess up every now and then, and there is no way around that.

GSRaider
01-07-2011, 11:16 PM
NBA officiating is horrible...

Part of me thinks it's rigged...

... In short, call the game fair and even... Let em play... ( no blood, no foul mentality )

210Don
01-07-2011, 11:17 PM
anybody think robots can be created to ref and call the game exactly the right way the whole game?

ManRam
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
anybody think robots can be created to ref and call the game exactly the right way the whole game?

No.

Htownballa1622
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
The hardest sport to officiate by far. I forget what announcer said it, but he said that every player should try to officiate a game and see how it goes. We have the luxury of instant replay, multiple angles and slow motion, the refs do not. All the while, they have to run up and down the court and 3 men have to look over all 10. Yes, they blow a ton of calls, but yes, it is incredibly easy for us to sit back and criticize them. There are inconsistencies, for sure, and rarely is a game called consistently from start to stop (probably has to do with 3 different people officiating).

Anyone who says the NBA is rigged is just juvenile.

For those who get real upset, how do you suggest the NBA fix it...and I don't want to hear from the people who chime in with wonderful insight saying "the NBA is rigged". Blah blah blah.

New refs to replace older ones(joey crawford) or ones that constantly blow calls.or even someone to hold them accountable.an organization of such.It really is ridiculous now.

Htownballa1622
01-07-2011, 11:24 PM
That was a bad call.

That was also just about the only blatantly bad call of the night. Refs aren't robots, they'll mess up every now and then, and there is no way around that.

That is debatable.alot of dwight fouls were make up calls.I'm not a rockets homer because I see the game objectively but its gotten out of hand.

ManRam
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
That is debatable.alot of dwight fouls were make up calls.I'm not a rockets homer because I see the game objectively but its gotten out of hand.

Out of hand is way extreme. I don't sympathize much with Dwight and his constant complaints about how he is officiated, but he got into some very early foul trouble on some questionable calls. Even so, if it was out of hand, the total fouls wouldn't be 23-19 with Orlando being called for more.

The refs had no influence on this game. That one play was flat out wrong, but besides that, it was consistent. That's all you can ask for.

Htownballa1622
01-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Out of hand is way extreme. I don't sympathize much with Dwight and his constant complaints about how he is officiated, but he got into some very early foul trouble on some questionable calls. Even so, if it was out of hand, the total fouls wouldn't be 23-19 with Orlando being called for more.

The refs had no influence on this game. That one play was flat out wrong, but besides that, it was consistent. That's all you can ask for.

I'm not taking only about that game.I'm talking in general.

And what I mean about calls are not only fouls. Out of bounds on who. Clock malfunction.they tried calling a clear path foul in the game and corrected it. Jvg even pointed out that why was there 22 seconds left for magic as a ball was called out on houston.how does it take jameer 2 seconds to bring the ball up. Little things like that. Yes I agree with you that they are only human and basketball is definitely the fastest,toughest game to officiate.

That being said, at some point they need to be held accountable especially in a sport where the superstar gets the call and for teams without a kobe,lbj,or dwight...theyre the
teams that have to essentially play 5 on 8.

Btw..sry for any spelling or punctuation errors.I'm on my droid x.

Fnom11
01-08-2011, 07:14 AM
When I watched the heat game last night, Wade and Bron got their usual calls. But when the game got into the 4th quarter and they were literally getting beat up and they weren't calling anything.

Now I'm not complaining about bit*h fouls and stuff like that but it needs to be consistent. If a player get fouled going to the basket whether it's weak or not and the ref calls it, he needs to do it again if the situation repeats itself, regardless of the quarter.

TMAC94
01-08-2011, 07:20 AM
That was a bad call.

nelson basically bear hugged lowry while driving threw the lane.

knicksfan42
01-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I have watched a plethora of basketball and over the years I have to say that the NBA officiating has gotten worse year by year. The NBA releases statistics to vouch for the fact that they are doing a good job, but what do you expect them to say, and we all should understand how stats can be swayed. If you watch any game that is close in score the officiating fluctuates and often time takes a 180 degree turn once the 4th quarter hits. If it's not a foul in the 1st why is it in the 4th? I believe that the officials in the NBA much like other sports are too old to get up and down the court and just like any other person as time goes on reaction time decreases as well. I understand that the economy is rough and some are looking to extend the retirement age to 68, but when one single referee can dictate the outcome of a game things need to change. I'm not seeking a complete overhaul of the officials, because when the NBDL refs stepped in last preseason things weren't exactly dramatically better. I can't be the only one tired of seeing guys like Joey Crawford on every prime time game or Dick Bavetta. I'm not upset or ranting about particular calls, I'm more upset about the consistent inconsistency.

NBA is rigged.

You can argue this back and forth for a while, but it actually isn't that hard to prove.

Do superstar calls exist?

If so then the NBA is rigged.

Specific players getting away with breaking the rules more often than most players = rigging.

Specific players getting more calls in their favor than most players not due to being fouled more, but simply, because they are what people call superstars = rigging.

If someone acknowledges superstar calls exist they acknowledge the NBA is rigged.

The Greatest Tragedy In Sports is a great documentary on youtube (I'm sure many people on here have watched it or at least some of it), it discusses the most blatantly rigged game in NBA history Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals.

The link to part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxw3yxJt2O0

Public Enemy #1
01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
NBA refs are awful. No excuses, they blow way too many calls. Yeah, not calling blatant fouls and showing favortism to certain players. Doesn't help when you have 80 year old men running up and down the court, can't see for ****. They need to update the system. Get younger refs and maybe add another ref to the court so they can see better.

SpeeMN
01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
there needs to be a ref box in which a 4th referee is watching multiple camera angles and can quickly correct a wrong or missed call the instant it takes place.

ttam68
01-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Its as much the complexity of the rules as it is the faults of the referees.

No one in this forum understands the tiny little details that sway each call. TrueHoop discusses this a few times per year. My personal opinion is that beyond a dynamic understanding of all the rules, a referee needs to essentially be a super being in accurately calling them all.

League officials will essentially acknowledge that its too difficult to consistently and accurately enforce each rule, so why not cut down on them. I'd rather let players fight it out than have to worry about what angle the ref is at.

MalZee24
01-08-2011, 06:45 PM
NBA is rigged

Yeah it's rigged. This is nothing new for people who follow the NBA. The 2002 game 6 between the lakers and kings was the icing on the cake. I'm not trying to bring that whole thing up again but I mean c'mon... Since we're on the topic, it's clearly rigged.

Allstar21
01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
tim donaguhy was not an isolated incident like that worst commissioner ever david stern would like you to believe

koLohe2133
01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
If you don't think the NBA is rigged, consider that the lakers are something like 10-1 in playoff games when Joey Crawford is reffing. And the one loss, Kobe took the 2nd half off to prove a point to management.

Also, Joey Crawford was a high school friend of Tim donaghy, but according to stern's version of The Warren commission donaghy acted alone.

It's okay though, I think MLB is rigged too. Cmon, whoever bet on giants vs rangers in the series made maaaaaaaaaaaaad money last year.

Jk bout MLB though.