PDA

View Full Version : Is there a team that LeBron could go to where they would NOT be Instant-Contenders?

J4KOP99
01-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I was thinking about just how good LeBron is and I started to envision him on other rosters. Unlike any other player, LeBron would make any team in the NBA an instant contender... whether it is the Wizards, Nets, T' Wolves or any other team.

I think he is the only player that if added to a team, they immediately are put into the title picture. Wade isn't the same way IMO. Howard isn't the same. Neither is Durant, and Kobe is just too old at this point, he needs very strong pieces alongside of him.

My definition of a contender- A team that has a great chance of making the NBA finals/ Winning a title.

Examples: Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Heat

Not teams like Atlanta, Utah, Chicago and even Orlando(because we have not seen them play in the playoffs yet and have no idea how they will perform.)

JordansBulls
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I was thinking about just how good LeBron is and I started to envision him on other rosters. Unlike any other player, LeBron would make any team in the NBA an instant contender... whether it is the Wizards, Nets, T' Wolves or any other team.

I think he is the only player that if added to a team, they immediately are put into the title picture. Wade isn't the same way IMO. Howard isn't the same. Neither is Durant, and Kobe is just too old at this point, he needs very strong pieces alongside of him.

My definition of a contender- A team that has a great chance of making the NBA finals/ Winning a title.

Not teams like Atlanta, Utah, Chicago and even Orlando(because we have not seen them play in the playoffs yet and have no idea how they will perform.)

Dwight makes any team a contender as well. As long as the team has a decent 2nd option I think any team Lebron went to would be a top 3-4 team in the elague.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I can't think of a team that wouldn't make the playoffs with him. But I would guess Sac with their injuries would be the only team I can think of that wouldn't make the playoffs possibly.
Just thinking of him on the Wolves

Ridnour/Flynn
LeBron/Johnson/Webster
Beasley/Johnson
Love/Tolliver
Milicic/Pekovic

That team wins 50+. The Wolves have given up 8 double digit leads, and lost 13 games this season where they held a lead with under 3 minutes to go. Getting a clutch player like LJ would turn those into wins in most cases.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Dwight makes any team a contender as well. As long as the team has a decent 2nd option I think any team Lebron went to would be a top 3-4 team in the elague.

agreed on Dwight as well. Just his defensive presence alone turns a team into a much, much better team

J4KOP99
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
agreed on Dwight as well. Just his defensive presence alone turns a team into a much, much better team

I think in most cases that is true but put Dwight on the Wizards and that team isn't gonna win a title, nor does it it have a decent chance. I don't care how much people like Wall, they wouldn't be able to do it.

Put LeBron on the Wizards and he is complimented nicely. Solid PG, good, athletic bigs and some other pieces.

The Wiz would depend on Dwights offense too much and although he has improved mightily, he still is not that effective.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I think in most cases that is true but put Dwight on the Wizards and that team isn't gonna win a title, nor does it it have a decent chance. I don't care how much people like Wall, they wouldn't be able to do it.

Put LeBron on the Wizards and he is complimented nicely. Solid PG, good, athletic bigs and some other pieces.

The Wiz would depend on Dwights offense too much and although he has improved mightily, he still is not that effective.

I didn't mean Dwight turns anyone into a contender. I don't know if even LeBron is capable of that. But LeBron means the most wins to any average or bad team in the NBA when comparing to other NBA players.

Jonathan2323
01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe the Pistons. They would be a 40 win team.

Giraffes Rule
01-07-2011, 04:24 PM
The Kings

Swashcuff
01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
My 76ers we are already clustered at the wing as it is it will never work.

Minimal
01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
It depends on teams coaching a lot.
For example if he went to Clippers, the team would be so athletical... Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, LeBron James. They would be unstoppable...but the coaching in that team is awful. LeBron needs a good coach, however he made Cleveland a contender without a good coach.
LeBron+Good coach+any team=title contender or atleast playoff team.

BALLER R
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
the raptors...hey ima raptors fan but just because we are the raptors half of you guys would find someway of saying we would still suck because we are full of europeans, in canada or some stupid shyt like that

ccugrad1
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I think there are plenty: I don't think he becomes an instant contender in Sacramento, Minnesota, Memphis, Washington, Milwaukee, Toronto, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Golden State, LA Clippers, Detroit. Some of those teams might become playoff teams, but not instant contenders.

Gators123
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Look at the Cavs, they have the WORST RECORD in the NBA. What does that tell you?

Rivera
01-07-2011, 04:31 PM
i agree...if u put lebron on any team they become infinitely better

the only team i would put a small doubt into when u say INSTANT contenders is the raptors....only reason i say that is there soft in the middle one decent PHYSICAL big away from seriously contending

and the one other player i do believe that can have this type of impact on any team that i believe would become instant contenders is dwight

i mean dwight is the best big in the game today....beast on the rebounds and D and his offense has improved significantly since hes came into the league...and he still has to just add a little bit more consistency to the offense he would be the most domiant force in the league

u put dwight anywhere also they become instant contenders

LAcowBOMBER
01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but winning 55 or 60 games doesn't really make you a contender if you don't win in the playoffs. I think many people will agree that LeBron wasn't going to win with the Cavs, so he would have a lot of wins with any team, but I don't think they would be actually contenders. There certainly are a number of teams he would contend with, but he would not make any team contend for a title

WhyDuquette
01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Yes I think so, might take a little while, but yes he is that good

Geargo Wallace
01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I really can't see him making my Raps a contender. It's funny cuz we're not even the worst team in the league.

Geargo Wallace
01-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Dwight would make the Raptors a contender. He and Bargs starting are perfect compliments to each other. He'd instantly make our defense a lot more cohesive with his down low presence.

jetsfan28
01-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Dwight, Brook Lopez, Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow, and Devin Harris is not a contender. It's worse than Orlando's current team, which is only a fringe contender.

As for LeBron, he makes any team a contender. The Cavs made the finals with Hughes, Z, Gooden, Pavlovic, Gibson, Varejao, Marshall, and Damon Jones. I'd rather have Wall, McGee, Blatche, Young, Hinrich, Howard, Shard, Thornton, or Morrow, Lopez, Humphries, Harris, Favors, or Darko, Beasley, Love, etc., there's no worse supporting cast in the league IMO. Raptors are interesting, but Bargnani would thrive with him, Derozan might too, Bayless could play, Kleiza is decent, maybe even Peja would be able to hit a couple of 3's a game.

bledrules
01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
He's a legend in his own mind

hotpotato1092
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Well I think it depends, I think if you put LeBron, Durant, Dwight or Kobe on any team as currently constructed I think they win 45-50 games. However, if the team actually had to give up the necessary talent in a trade to get one of those guys very few teams could win 50+. Basketball is a team sport.

SteveNash
01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
It would be easy to list the teams that would be contenders with Lebron.

Heat
Celtics
Lakers
Spurs
Mavericks
Jazz
Hornets
Knicks
Magic

nickdymez
01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
So hopefully you see why i keep "hatin" on Lebron, there are like 5 threads opened up right now about him... And also, shouldn't this be in the Heat forum?

blueplanet
01-07-2011, 05:00 PM

No he doesn't. He is not an offensive force and can't take over games when needed.

blueplanet
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
So hopefully you see why i keep "hatin" on Lebron, there are like 5 threads opened up right now about him... And also, shouldn't this be in the Heat forum?

NO, because these are not opened by Heat fans. Apparently, some fans from other fanbases have more headaches/orgasm about LeBron than the Heat fans.

LA_Raiders
01-07-2011, 05:13 PM
The cHeat

BALLER R
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I really can't see him making my Raps a contender. It's funny cuz we're not even the worst team in the league.

come one we are better than the cavs are and he took that team to the playoffs..im not a fan of him but he would make us alot better

Geargo Wallace
01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
come one we are better than the cavs are and he took that team to the playoffs..im not a fan of him but he would make us alot better

ya but the Cavs had a lot more size than we did. I dunno how much better LeBron would make Bagrs or Dorsey. We'd be as good as the Knicks are now, but I dunno' for sure about contenders.

JordansBulls
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Dwight, Brook Lopez, Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow, and Devin Harris is not a contender. It's worse than Orlando's current team, which is only a fringe contender.

As for LeBron, he makes any team a contender. The Cavs made the finals with Hughes, Z, Gooden, Pavlovic, Gibson, Varejao, Marshall, and Damon Jones. I'd rather have Wall, McGee, Blatche, Young, Hinrich, Howard, Shard, Thornton, or Morrow, Lopez, Humphries, Harris, Favors, or Darko, Beasley, Love, etc., there's no worse supporting cast in the league IMO. Raptors are interesting, but Bargnani would thrive with him, Derozan might too, Bayless could play, Kleiza is decent, maybe even Peja would be able to hit a couple of 3's a game.

Disagree. Dwight beat Lebron with a far inferior team. And when Lebron made the Finals that year, the Heat had already lost in round 1 and the Cavs beat the Wizards who were missing both Arenas and Butler for the series and then they played a 42 win team in round 2.

Reversed86Curse
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a hard time envisioning the C's, as they're currently constructed, succeeding as they have the last 4 years, with Lebron. It's the same scenario as was discussed with adding Monta Ellis, they need the ball too much to be effective in the system.

godolphins
01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Lebron will make the playoffs with any team

Redbull
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Kings, Raptors and Pacers.

godolphins
01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Kings, Raptors and Pacers.

Those teams will instantly becomne contenders and a top seed in the east

beasted86
01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
LeBron can make any team playoff contenders, but not championship contenders.

D-Leethal
01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Nets are the only team I can think of

Pierzynski4Prez
01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Cavs

JWO35
01-07-2011, 07:12 PM
He literally carried the Cavs to the NBA Finals, with a lineup that consisted of Boobie Gibson @ SG & Drew Gooden :pity:

He would make ANY TEAM a Contender

Young and Stupid
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Nets are the only team I can think of

Could not be more wrong.

The Nets are built perfectly to surround a star-player. In fact, the structure of team is better than almost any other team in the league to accommodate a player like LeBron. Seriously.

Put LeBron on the Nets roster and they are definitely championship-contenders.

bringbackfredex
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Holiday
Iggy/Turner
Lebron
Brand
Hawes

:drool:

jetsfan28
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Disagree. Dwight beat Lebron with a far inferior team. And when Lebron made the Finals that year, the Heat had already lost in round 1 and the Cavs beat the Wizards who were missing both Arenas and Butler for the series and then they played a 42 win team in round 2.

LOL at far inferior team. Seriously, I'm laughing right now. Turkoglu and Lewis are the 3rd and 4th best players in that series. And after the top 3's (Mo, West, LeBron and Howard, Turkoglu, Lewis), Alston, Lee, Pietrus, Johnson, Gortat is about even with Varejao, Z, Gibson, Ben Wallace, and Wally World. Ignoring the fact that Orlando matches up better with Cleveland, even against neutral teams Orlando is better.

Edit: Jon Barry just said Hedo Turkoglu was Orlando's best player that year. Barry's word is not gospel, I know, but it shows why using that as an argument is simply wrong.

Testaverde16
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
probably the clippers just because theyre the clippers...

in all honesty, yeah any team that could just add him would be a contender immediately. If teams had to trade for him though, that would be a different story, mostly because you would have to trade almost everything for him

avrpatsfan
01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Outside of the Raptors every team would be an instant contender.

jimbobjarree
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Raptors

DzJackson10
01-07-2011, 07:42 PM
probly the sixers =( or thee pacers or raptors

godolphins
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
LeBron can make any team playoff contenders, but not championship contenders.

This:

He literally carried the Cavs to the NBA Finals, with a lineup that consisted of Boobie Gibson @ SG & Drew Gooden :pity:

He would make ANY TEAM a Contender

sfattahian
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Sacramento Kings for sure would not be a contender. Neither would the New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards, or Toronto Raptors.

BuddhaMONK
01-07-2011, 08:20 PM
anyone in the east would prolly be contenders in that conference, do you guys realize how bad the east is 8th spot belongs to philly with a 14-21 record. I don't think that sacremento would be contenders with him though at least not this year.

jetsfan28
01-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I still disagree with the Raptors. Bargnani would thrive, Ed Davis would be able to attack the basket much easier. Calderon and Stojakovic would get open 3's. Bayless would have more room to attack. Bayless, LeBron, and DeRozan would be scary on the break. They have some guys that could attack the glass in Dorsey and Evans. I'm not sure they couldn't be a fringe contender.

Bargnani creates huge matchup problems there.

BuddhaMONK
01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I still disagree with the Raptors. Bargnani would thrive, Ed Davis would be able to attack the basket much easier. Calderon and Stojakovic would get open 3's. Bayless would have more room to attack. Bayless, LeBron, and DeRozan would be scary on the break. They have some guys that could attack the glass in Dorsey and Evans. I'm not sure they couldn't be a fringe contender.

Bargnani creates huge matchup problems there.

don't worry about some americans opinion they probably never even watched the raptors..

xxplayerxx23
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=sfattahian;16210917]Sacramento Kings for sure would not be a contender. Neither would the New Jersey Nets, Washington Wizards, or Toronto Raptors.[/QUo
Addding lebron on all these teams make the playoffs

Gators123
01-07-2011, 09:47 PM
don't worry about some americans opinion they probably never even watched the raptors..

What does that have to do with anything?

nickdymez
01-08-2011, 01:31 AM
I bet Lebron could go to the Detroit Lions and make them an Title contender... SMH

Gators123
01-08-2011, 01:32 AM
I bet Lebron could go to the Detroit Lions and make them an Title contender... SMH

Calvin Johnson>>LeBron ;)

JordansBulls
01-08-2011, 01:35 AM
LOL at far inferior team. Seriously, I'm laughing right now. Turkoglu and Lewis are the 3rd and 4th best players in that series. And after the top 3's (Mo, West, LeBron and Howard, Turkoglu, Lewis), Alston, Lee, Pietrus, Johnson, Gortat is about even with Varejao, Z, Gibson, Ben Wallace, and Wally World. Ignoring the fact that Orlando matches up better with Cleveland, even against neutral teams Orlando is better.

Edit: Jon Barry just said Hedo Turkoglu was Orlando's best player that year. Barry's word is not gospel, I know, but it shows why using that as an argument is simply wrong.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26749

Josh (Los Angeles, CA): The Cavs didn?t match up well with Orlando, now all of a sudden Big Z (PER 18.03), Mo (17.25) and Delonte (14.16) aren't a good supporting cast and Rashard (16.83), Hedo (14.82), and Pietrus (11.69) are studs?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/sn2.gif Chad Ford: It's the style of play. The way the Magic spread the floor was a challenge for guys like Ben Wallace and Z to guard. When Varejao got in foul trouble, they struggled to keep up.

Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-EastChamps)

Cleveland Cavaliers (32 votes)

This thing is Cleveland's to lose, says our panel -- or 60.4 percent of our panel, anyway.

It's no surprise to see so many votes for a team that has the reigning MVP and won 66 games last season. On the other hand, the Cavs had the same points in their favor in May, and were the heavy favorites to win the East at that time, too. But Orlando took care of Cleveland thanks to some amazing shooting and the dominance of Dwight Howard, and the Cavs were left licking their wounds.

For those saying the Cavs aren't suppose to win, then answer this?

Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090512)

1. Cleveland (+9.12)
Welcome to the Cleveland Invitational, ladies and gentlemen. Yes, the Pistons had given up and the Hawks had injuries, but the fact is the Cavs have won eight straight playoff games by double figures. In this case it's a continuation of the Cavs' strong finish to the season, and it doesn't appear either Boston or Orlando has the goods to make them sweat much in a conference finals.

Cleveland also has home-court advantage going for it in the final two rounds, so at this point the Cavs have to be considered a heavy favorite to win the championship. They're playing the best basketball, have the best draw, have home-court and have the best player. They still have to play the games, of course, but the skids have already been greased. While the likes of Denver or L.A. could give them a tough fight in the Finals, at this point it appears that the only team that can beat Cleveland is Cleveland.

Looks like the Cavs were heavy favorites.

So they played a team that gave up in the Pistons and one who was injured in Atlanta and now it is being said that neither Boston or Orlando will make them sweat. So who the hell is supposed to win it all if it isn't Cleveland?

Dirk gets critisizm for losing with a team that won over 65+ games and didn't win the title does he not?

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/th_CavsvsMagicSeries.jpg

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/th_CavsvsMagic2009Playoffs.jpg
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/CavsvsMagic2009Playoffs.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/matchup/_/teams/magic-cavaliers

Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-10-best-teams-of-the-decade-never-to-win-a-c;_ylt=Ai8j0I4kfnCFSrGgLh3xx7q8vLYF?urn=nba,184569 )

1. Cleveland Cavaliers, 2008-09

I sort of like this also-ran, because it speaks to how we've grown as a sport-regarding culture over the years. These Cleveland Cavaliers ran up 66-wins, an almost-Bulls-like 8.9-point differential (way better than any team listed above), and had the greatest player in the game (LeBron James(notes)) at their disposal. And yet, when the team lost to the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference finals last spring, people seemed ready to smartly admit that the Cavs, for all their horses, just didn't have the horses to run with the Magic.

Nobody was labeled a choker, nobody was fired, and though the team traded for one big (hopeful) problem-solver in the offseason in Shaquille O'Neal, nobody seemed to overreact and make deals for the sake of making deals. Knowing that the team will have the best player in the game, at only age 24, around for at least the next season helps too; but you have to love the lack of hand-wringing. Still, the meek ending doesn't hide the fact that this was an otherwise dominant team that won 74 of its first 90 games before falling to the Magic in six.

In fact only 2 teams that have won 65+ games have not won the title and it was the 2007 Mavs and 1973 Celtics and now the 2009 Cavs.

These other teams all won the title.
2009 Lakers
2008 Celtics
2000 Lakers
1997 Bulls
1996 Bulls
1992 Bulls
1987 Lakers
1986 Celtics
1983 Sixers
1972 Lakers
1971 Bucks
1967 Sixers

While Lebron had another allstar on the team. This with Orlando missing it's star PG as well.

Lebron just lost with HCA and the superior supporting cast. He averaged 15.67 FTA a game in that series where he shot 94 FT in 6 games.

You say the Cavs didn't show up, well guess what, Lebron gets all the credit last year for taking the Celtics 7 games when he shot 35% from the field.

This year the Cavs underachieved in losing to Orlando who wasn't getting any publicity and who many thought would go down in round 1.

So Lebron had another allstar on the team, another 3 former allstars, a 4x DPOY player, a team top 4 in defensive and offensive efficiency, the team with the highest SRS rating all year long as well as the team who had the highest point differential all year long and then won it's first two series by more than 10+ points per game, but yet they weren't the favorite to beat Orlando who was missing it's star PG and whose SG was playing injured?

Hilarious!!!

Not even One analyst said the Magic would win.

In fact it was so bad that in games 3 and 4 in Orlando that the Cavs were a 2 point favorite on the road.

The Cavs had the best record all year, they had the highest point differential in winning, they had the highest SRS rating.

In the playoffs they won the first 2 rounds by 10+ points in every game and even in the playoffs the Cavs had a 8.5 pts per game differential which was the highest in the postseason that year.

The Cavs were cruising while the Magic were getting outplayed and down in the series to the Sixers initially and the Celtics without KG and then you expect me to believe that Orlando was the better team all along? I just don't buy that all and really it is just an excuse because the Cavs lost. Also lets not forget the Cavs were up each game at home of the 3 games by more than 20+ points each time.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290520005 - Mentions 15 at the half, but it was 20 at one point.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290522005 - Down by 23 in the second quarter the Magic were within 12 at halftime.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290528005 - The Magic overcame a 22-point deficit but missed their first opportunity to close out the Cavaliers

Cleveland was the favorite from the get go and even more so mid way thru the year. Cleveland won 66 games and Orlando won 59 games. Cleveland had the HCA and was the heavy favorites to win the east with Garnett out. Now had the Celtics been healthy that is one thing, but Orlando hadn't proved anything in any other postseason. So dont tell me they were supposed to win this series.

Also Orlando was doing this without their star pg in Nelson who was the 2nd best player on the team. Cleveland lost 2 games at home this year and really only 1 as the last game of the year none of the starters played. And think of it, they still took the 6th seed to OT with not one starter playing.

It's amazing Orlando won with that backcourt and won missing it's 2nd best player. I thought Orlando would lose in 4 or 5 with how good Cleveland was doing and how much Orlando struggled with Philly and a KG less Celtics. I thought Orlando only had a chance to take it 7 with a healthy Jameer.

I don't what hear about someone not having a good supporting cast when they had the best record in the league and broke a record in the playoffs winning it's first 8 games by 10+ points each game.

Last year's collapse in the Eastern Conference finals only made LeBron hungrier and more willing to expand his game. Now, opponents can expect to see him in the post more. Scary. And look for a resurgence from a truly motivated Shaq.

The Cavs were the best team in the East before collapsing against the Magic, and they've gotten even stronger in the offseason. Shaq and Anthony Parker should help shore up their bench. Still, they lack the athletic bigs to match up with the Magic in a seven-game series.

nickdymez
01-08-2011, 01:46 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26749

Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-EastChamps)

For those saying the Cavs aren't suppose to win, then answer this?

Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090512)

Looks like the Cavs were heavy favorites.

So they played a team that gave up in the Pistons and one who was injured in Atlanta and now it is being said that neither Boston or Orlando will make them sweat. So who the hell is supposed to win it all if it isn't Cleveland?

Dirk gets critisizm for losing with a team that won over 65+ games and didn't win the title does he not?

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/th_CavsvsMagicSeries.jpg

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/th_CavsvsMagic2009Playoffs.jpg
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/CavsvsMagic2009Playoffs.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/matchup/_/teams/magic-cavaliers

Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-10-best-teams-of-the-decade-never-to-win-a-c;_ylt=Ai8j0I4kfnCFSrGgLh3xx7q8vLYF?urn=nba,184569 )

In fact only 2 teams that have won 65+ games have not won the title and it was the 2007 Mavs and 1973 Celtics and now the 2009 Cavs.

These other teams all won the title.
2009 Lakers
2008 Celtics
2000 Lakers
1997 Bulls
1996 Bulls
1992 Bulls
1987 Lakers
1986 Celtics
1983 Sixers
1972 Lakers
1971 Bucks
1967 Sixers

While Lebron had another allstar on the team. This with Orlando missing it's star PG as well.

Lebron just lost with HCA and the superior supporting cast. He averaged 15.67 FTA a game in that series where he shot 94 FT in 6 games.

You say the Cavs didn't show up, well guess what, Lebron gets all the credit last year for taking the Celtics 7 games when he shot 35% from the field.

This year the Cavs underachieved in losing to Orlando who wasn't getting any publicity and who many thought would go down in round 1.

So Lebron had another allstar on the team, another 3 former allstars, a 4x DPOY player, a team top 4 in defensive and offensive efficiency, the team with the highest SRS rating all year long as well as the team who had the highest point differential all year long and then won it's first two series by more than 10+ points per game, but yet they weren't the favorite to beat Orlando who was missing it's star PG and whose SG was playing injured?

Hilarious!!!

Not even One analyst said the Magic would win.

In fact it was so bad that in games 3 and 4 in Orlando that the Cavs were a 2 point favorite on the road.

The Cavs had the best record all year, they had the highest point differential in winning, they had the highest SRS rating.

In the playoffs they won the first 2 rounds by 10+ points in every game and even in the playoffs the Cavs had a 8.5 pts per game differential which was the highest in the postseason that year.

The Cavs were cruising while the Magic were getting outplayed and down in the series to the Sixers initially and the Celtics without KG and then you expect me to believe that Orlando was the better team all along? I just don't buy that all and really it is just an excuse because the Cavs lost. Also lets not forget the Cavs were up each game at home of the 3 games by more than 20+ points each time.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290520005 - Mentions 15 at the half, but it was 20 at one point.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290522005 - Down by 23 in the second quarter the Magic were within 12 at halftime.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290528005 - The Magic overcame a 22-point deficit but missed their first opportunity to close out the Cavaliers

Cleveland was the favorite from the get go and even more so mid way thru the year. Cleveland won 66 games and Orlando won 59 games. Cleveland had the HCA and was the heavy favorites to win the east with Garnett out. Now had the Celtics been healthy that is one thing, but Orlando hadn't proved anything in any other postseason. So dont tell me they were supposed to win this series.

Also Orlando was doing this without their star pg in Nelson who was the 2nd best player on the team. Cleveland lost 2 games at home this year and really only 1 as the last game of the year none of the starters played. And think of it, they still took the 6th seed to OT with not one starter playing.

It's amazing Orlando won with that backcourt and won missing it's 2nd best player. I thought Orlando would lose in 4 or 5 with how good Cleveland was doing and how much Orlando struggled with Philly and a KG less Celtics. I thought Orlando only had a chance to take it 7 with a healthy Jameer.

I don't what hear about someone not having a good supporting cast when they had the best record in the league and broke a record in the playoffs winning it's first 8 games by 10+ points each game.

Finally a realist on this board

HeatVsHate
01-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Going back to the topic: Any current NBA team could be a contender with Lebron joining them(Not losing anything from trade) BUT.. only a few teams could really contend without upgrades. Nets would be very good with LBJ contrary to some opinions, and a SF like LBJ would instantly blend to their system considering they are the premier team on the run for Carmelo Anthony.

And, LBJ could average a 3ple double in a raptor uniform, his rebounds would eclipse instantly and we all know he can very well pass the ball. With players (starting 5, from calderon to Bargniani) alongside him that can shoot the lights out anywhere in the court and not clog the lanes inside, then he should have a field day driving inside at will.-- The Raptors could be paradise for a Lebron James type of player.

jetsfan28
01-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Horribly long winded post that ignored the real factor: The reason the Cavs were the heavy favorites to win was because LeBron is much, much better than Howard. And the reason the Cavs players are so efficient is because of LeBron. Look at how Mo's PER has plummeted this year and how it was basically average before. Only player who has really excelled around Dwight compared to not around him is Turkoglu. Nobody said the Magic would win because LeBron is much better, and Orlando was able to win simply because they presented a ton of matchup problems. They had the best record in the league because they had a guy who put up one of the top seasons in the history of the NBA by most statistical measures completely carrying them.

My question is, if you think Dwight could carry a team so well, why didn't they have the best record in the NBA? Why weren't they the heavy favorites? You basically just argued against yourself there. And since when is one 7 game series all against 1 team a better sample size than an 82 game season? Does the fact that a team doesn't match up with 1 team make them not a contender? You basically just listed a bunch of irrelevant crap that either means nothing or goes against your argument.

ElMarroAfamado
01-08-2011, 04:58 AM
The Heat. With Wade and Bosh.

alencp3
01-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Cavs is the worst team in the league and he won 60+ games with them

Thats sums it up

Kyben36
01-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Clippers, just cause, well, they cant seem to do anything right, LOL. NO, but they have a good future ahead of them, hopefully.

as for a real answer. I mean, CLE is about as bad as it gets talletn wise, and he led them to a #1 overall seed.

BrahCake954
01-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Well I think it depends, I think if you put LeBron, Durant, Dwight or Kobe on any team as currently constructed I think they win 45-50 games. However, if the team actually had to give up the necessary talent in a trade to get one of those guys very few teams could win 50+. Basketball is a team sport.

Please bro.. Kobe wouldn't make a team a contender.. He's not the prescense that lebron is, as much as Kobe riders think.. Kobe could never in his life average 30 ppg on 50 pct shooting while avg 7 rbs and 8 ast.. Kobe doesn't make teammates better he makes them worse.. He needs dominant big men, he can't go to a bad or avg team And make them better.. Kobe couldn't bring a team full of scrubs to finals..

Durant cant do it yet.. Only lebron and Howard, I'd take wade before Kobe as well, that's for Damn sure

ragee
01-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Were the Cavs an elite team when Lebron was there? They were a good team but they were not in the level of the Lakers and the Celts...

hugepatsfan
01-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't know if Lebron alone makes a team a contender for a title. But I think he makes any team in the NBA a playoff caliber team.

nickdymez
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Please bro.. Kobe wouldn't make a team a contender.. He's not the prescense that lebron is, as much as Kobe riders think.. Kobe could never in his life average 30 ppg on 50 pct shooting while avg 7 rbs and 8 ast.. Kobe doesn't make teammates better he makes them worse.. He needs dominant big men, he can't go to a bad or avg team And make them better.. Kobe couldn't bring a team full of scrubs to finals..

Durant cant do it yet.. Only lebron and Howard, I'd take wade before Kobe as well, that's for Damn sure

Kobe's 5 rings to Lebrons ZERO says otherwise

Ollie Tabooger
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Honestly I don't think the Suns become contenders. Nash and Lebron sounds deadly, but they are still awful in the frontcourt.

BrahCake954
01-08-2011, 01:47 PM

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo

typical lakerstan

smith&wesson
01-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Lebron and amare would have been deadly in new york.

Imagine that, with wade and bosh in miami and lebron and amare in new york the rivalry would have been reborn.

Any ways ya lebron turns any team in to a contender so long as that team doesnt have to give up there best player to get him.

thesparky33
01-08-2011, 01:58 PM
He probably makes most teams a contender, but there is no way he could make that dreadful Cavaliers team a contender...

:rimshot:

nickdymez
01-08-2011, 02:27 PM
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo

typical lakerstan

Yea, we typically back winners.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2011, 03:48 PM

then the same can be said of Shaq and Gasol.

And no, Kobe alone wouldn't make a bottom dweller a contender at all. In fact, in his prime, when he actually had a 2 year spell where he didn't have championship talent around him, the Lakers were no threat at all.
So its already been proven Kobe is not that kind of a player.

Sixerlover
01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
then the same can be said of Shaq and Gasol.

And no, Kobe alone wouldn't make a bottom dweller a contender at all. In fact, in his prime, when he actually had a 2 year spell where he didn't have championship talent around him, the Lakers were no threat at all.
So its already been proven Kobe is not that kind of a player.

Yup. A lot of Kobe fans / LeBron haters seem to have bad memories of 2005 - Pau Gasol era, because they never bring up what happened when Kobe didn't have a superstar big man next to him

blastmasta26
01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
The very lower level teams would not be instant contenders with LeBron. He can take any team to the playoffs, but the second round is the farthest he would probably go with the worst teams in the league.