PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming Leading Vote Getter?

canigetawitness
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
This topic has probably been exhausted here in the past, but it always pisses me off. How can a player that rarely plays be the leading vote getter for an all star game? Shouldn't that tell David Stern something about the process being flawed? There should be some kind of electoral college for NBA all stars, LOL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5995715

Yao hasn't been the only offender in years past. Iverson. Ben Wallace. It's getting stupid. Thoughts? How would you make it better?

asandhu23
01-07-2011, 10:02 AM
its a popularity contest. Monta isn't very popular. that is why you don't see him there.

Hellcrooner
01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Vote for the Craziest Tea Party member for Usa President.
Drop the Nukes and Chemo weapons on China.

No more worying bout yao.

:p

Now serious answers, PLAYERS and coaches should be the ones voting who is or isnt an allstar-

canigetawitness
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Vote for the Craziest Tea Party member for Usa President.
Drop the Nukes and Chemo weapons on China.

No more worying bout yao.

:p

Now serious answers, PLAYERS and coaches should be the ones voting who is or isnt an allstar-

I agree with all of this. All of it. LOL

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
its a popularity contest. Monta isn't very popular. that is why you don't see him there.

He's on a losing team

Knicks21
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Majority of NBA fans wouldn't recognize talent if it hit them in the face. Agree with Hellcrooner, players and coaches should be voting.

IndyRealist
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
It's because we put too much emphasis on being an all-star. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're a top player, it just means you're popular. But somewhere along the way that's what people took it to mean. A couple of years ago I led the charge to get Yi Jianlian into the all-star game over Kevin Garnett. They were separated by like 200,000 votes. Doesn't everyone think that's just silly?

canigetawitness
01-07-2011, 10:22 AM
It's because we put too much emphasis on being an all-star. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're a top player, it just means you're popular. But somewhere along the way that's what people took it to mean. A couple of years ago I led the charge to get Yi Jianlian into the all-star game over Kevin Garnett. They were separated by like 200,000 votes. Doesn't everyone think that's just silly?

Yeah I agree with the others about it being strictly a popularity contest. That's clearly the case with Ming, where he is a hero for an entire country whose population could nearly trump the rest of the world.

I am really interested to see how the rest of the voting will shake out. I'll probably follow it with a "blatant snubs" thread. :facepalm:

Khalifa21
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM

And the fact he's not good enough to be an All-Star...

Shaolin
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah I agree with the others about it being strictly a popularity contest. That's clearly the case with Ming, where he is a hero for an entire country whose population could nearly trump the rest of the world.

I am really interested to see how the rest of the voting will shake out. I'll probably follow it with a "blatant snubs" thread. :facepalm:

Like the poster above, you guys should learn to appreciate the fact that the NBA is now a full-fledged global entity.

The All-Star game is nothing more than a thank-you event for the league's sponsors, sponsors who need those billions of global consumers who are voting in the same players year after year.

You want the best players showcased? Wait for the playoffs, and games that actually matter.

IAmKira
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
so what if yao get voted into the all star? He's gonna get replaced anyway and not like he's taking someone's spot? personally i dont really give half a sh** about the all stars. Its not even THAT entertaining and i wont even watch unless Kobe's playing =]

canigetawitness
01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Like the poster above, you guys should learn to appreciate the fact that the NBA is now a full-fledged global entity.

The All-Star game is nothing more than a thank-you event for the league's sponsors, sponsors who need those billions of global consumers who are voting in the same players year after year.

You want the best players showcased? Wait for the playoffs, and games that actually matter.

What it is is laughable. When I was a kid growing up, it was about the best of the best. Do you see someone like Ken Griffey, Jr get voted to the all star game in his twilight years, nursing injuries, barely able to play? So why does it make sense for Yao to be in? You don't see these things in the pro bowl, either.

I'm not picking on Yao, but moreso the problem. I haven't really cared about any all star game since I was a kid because the games don't matter. But principle is principle; the all star game shouldn't just be a popularity contest.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Kinda wish his career didn't end like this...
If he can get/stay healthy, then he could be Okc missing piece
:)

antiapp
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes it's a popularity contest. And the ASG is an exhibition so why shouldn't it be a popularity contest. The fans pick who they want to see.

Big whoop.

xbrackattackx
01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Every thread about the All-Star game a certain butt hurt poster brings up Monta.
Yes he is very good, and even efficient this year, But he needs help a better SF and A better Center. If Golden State was in the Playoff hunt no doubt in my mind should he be there. And I love Monta one of my favorite players and his maturity is finally showing.

But Deron and CP3 are having better years, along with Bryant coming off of a 2 peat. I think he should be Kobe's back up but can't make a case for him starting.

Vincent33
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
This topic has probably been exhausted here in the past, but it always pisses me off. How can a player that rarely plays be the leading vote getter for an all star game? Shouldn't that tell David Stern something about the process being flawed? There should be some kind of electoral college for NBA all stars, LOL.

Yao hasn't been the only offender in years past. Iverson. Ben Wallace. It's getting stupid. Thoughts? How would you make it better?

I hear that Yao is fairly popular in China these days.

Sly Guy
01-07-2011, 02:16 PM
fans should not be allowed to vote. Only people like me who know what they're talking about.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
fans should not be allowed to vote. Only people like me who know what they're talking about.

yeah, right (http://trololololololololololo.com/):rolleyes:

Silent
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
fans should not be able to vote there to stupid

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
:yawn:

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
fans should not be able to vote there to stupid

:laugh: The irony...

TBH its not like Yao will play this year so everyone settle down.

Klivlend
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Dude, it is crazy how you tie Monta into almost every single one of your posts. Especially when the thread has absolutely nothing to do with Monta or even the Warriors. I suppose that is some sort of special skill, whatever.

Klivlend
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
yeah, right (http://trololololololololololo.com/):rolleyes:

HAHA! Dude, what the F is that?

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM

I agree Monta should be an AS, but not starting...

KingPosey
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM

he also isnt good enough to be there. so there is that.

Sadds The Gr8
01-07-2011, 02:47 PM
he's not gonna play anyways so why pay so much attention to it?

Silent
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
:laugh: The irony...

TBH its not like Yao will play this year so everyone settle down.

i could care less about the grammar

GoatMilk
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
if he wasnt on the ballot, Bynum would be starting and there would be a thread on that too

the reason he's on the ballot even when he's hurt is so the NBA can say "well you got who you wanted, too bad he cant play"
instead of going with the 2nd most voted, in this case Bynum who isnt worthy, the coach can pick his own starting 5

come February, Pau will be starting C

blueplanet
01-07-2011, 03:01 PM

I thought was about Yao :confused:

Here is a serious question: Who is a bigger homer? Asandhu23 OR tangant?

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I thought was about Yao :confused:

Here is a serious question: Who is a bigger homer? Asandhu23 OR tangant?

This guy joined a month ago and already knows those 2.

I'm getting O/T but I find Tangent (gant?) funnier.

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
i could care less about the grammar

Well, it does make you look illiterate and hence ignorant. Quite ironic when you're trying to call people stupid.

mp3
01-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Most of the votes for yao ming are from people in china. I feel like they show old games in China from like 2005 when yao ming actually played and they show it to the public acting like its yao ming in 2011. conspiracy?

iCOOKiE MONSTER
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Most of the votes for yao ming are from people in china. I feel like they show old games in China from like 2005 when yao ming actually played and they show it to the public acting like its yao ming in 2011. conspiracy?

You neva know

Avenged
01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
If anything, I think they just leave him on the ballot so other undeserving Centers who have no business in the all-star game don't get voted in.. That way the league or whoever decides can just select a PF to fill in the void at the 5.

ClayMatthews
01-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Thats why the NBA Allstar game along with the probowl are a joke.

smith&wesson
01-07-2011, 03:50 PM
its patriotism. I wonder if yao was from kazakstan if he would still get all these votes.

not being rasist here just saying it doesnt hurt being from a country that has a popluation over a billion ppl.

coaches and players should be voting. and maybe even GM's maybe that way we get players voted in who have played more then 15 games in a season.

ClayMatthews
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I mean how many people are honestly going to watch the NBA Allstar game..

bklynny67
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM

it could also be because he doesnt deserve to be starting anyway.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM

while he is having his best season since 07-8', he was still better back then, and isn't making it over Kobe, Manu, and a couple others. Nor should he.

Hawkeye15
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I have no problem with Yao being the leading vote getter. If a player is active to begin the season, and he is put on there, fans can vote for him. Obviously he won't play, and I would love to see a guy who has been injured decline the invite if he just got healthy in time for the all star game. But its a fan's game. I am all for whomever gets voted in. That is who the fans want to see. I question the reserves many years. But that is nothing new

dnewguy
01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Lets be honest........do you have any other C in the West that deserves to be All Star? Even without playing a game, I voted for Yao because Duncan and Gasol are listed as forwards.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
HAHA! Dude, what the F is that?

Found it, might as well use it:D

njnets
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
idk why people are complaining or don't understand why he is leading the votes

the allstar game is a popularity contest

yao ming is a popular name and all of the people in china vote for him

china is the worlds largest population for a country

not hard to understand

canigetawitness
01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
idk why people are complaining or don't understand why he is leading the votes

the allstar game is a popularity contest

yao ming is a popular name and all of the people in china vote for him

china is the worlds largest population for a country

not hard to understand

The deeper issue I wanted to illustrate was the flaw in the "popularity contest". NBA is the only pro sports league that uses the current format. Every other sport bases these things on merit and skill for the most part...oh and actually being on the playing field for at least PART of the season :(

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I rather see an injured Yao Ming be named starter and therefore have a PF probably start in place of him (Duncan). Than to see some scrub C start.

LA_Raiders
01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
50% Fans
25% Coaches
25% Players

Kyben36
01-07-2011, 05:28 PM
first off, the same thing was for Yi in his rok year, he got tons of votes becuase Chinesse people vote for him strictly based on his race. not on how much he plays, not on how well he plays, but just on his race. Basketball is for americans, this is what hapends when you expand. players in Toronto get the same thing as well, all of the canadian fans vote for their guys.

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
first off, the same thing was for Yi in his rok year, he got tons of votes becuase Chinesse people vote for him strictly based on his race. not on how much he plays, not on how well he plays, but just on his race. Basketball is for americans, this is what hapends when you expand. players in Toronto get the same thing as well, all of the canadian fans vote for their guys.

No they don't. Also whats your point? People are allowed to vote for whoever they want. You can blame Stern for trying to tap the Chinese market and make billions...

IBleedPurple
01-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Fans voting should count for 25%, with coaches, players, and FO making up the rest

sagemania
01-08-2011, 06:36 AM
A washed injury prone player leads the vote getters. This is why average fans have no business having this much power.

Kyben36
01-08-2011, 07:46 AM
No they don't. Also whats your point? People are allowed to vote for whoever they want. You can blame Stern for trying to tap the Chinese market and make billions...

no, what I do blame is all of this hype over who makes it to the allstar game, fans dont realy make that much of a diference, coaches adn teams make up half the vote.

jasonbird
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM

Well,
i think all star should be all american players,never national players...

NO dirk/gasol....

;)