PDA

View Full Version : NBA Hell

sargon21
01-07-2011, 12:24 AM
What teams to you consider to be in NBA Hell right now?

And as for "NBA Hell", I think everyone could have a different definition, but mine is either being bad with not many prospects for the future, or being a 6-7 seed repeatedly in the playoffs, or possibly higher, with no way to get higher.

So, as for now, these are my teams in NBA Hell:

Toronto
New Jersey
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland
Charlotte
Portland
Denver (close one)
Phoenix
New Orleans
Memphis

a couple key omissions: Sacramento, Minnesota, Clippers, and Philadelphia, who I believe to be borderline

So, who is in your "NBA Hell"?

ChiSox219
01-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Charlotte, Cleveland, Toronto, and Detroit

These teams need to shed all long term contracts asap and tank their seasons.

Kobes a Killer
01-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Indiana needs to be taken off that list, Granger Hibbert and Collison are starting to turn that franchise around

xabial
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Kings with Tyrekes health issues and causins maturity. Worst record in NBA.

Pistons Worst Contract Team in the NBA, and Worst Coach (according to pistons fans)

Phoenix lost Amare because ownership had future health concerns and i still believe it could be a start of their downfall unless a major trade happens (unlikely)

Portland (obvious reasons)

Cleveland (obvious reasons)

Toronto (obvious reasons)

black1605
01-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Indiana needs to be taken off that list, Granger Hibbert and Collison are starting to turn that franchise around

Hibbert was benched for Jeff Foster, and Collison hasn't come close to living up to his expectations. They are not anywhere close to being competitive.

koLohe2133
01-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Clippers. Always and foreveeeeerrrr

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 12:48 AM

Collison has been a subpar performer... those who thought the Hornets could trade Paul when Collison was tearing it up were wrong.

Hibbert has been good though.

I don't call a possible 8th seed and getting ousted in 4 games "turning it around".

Rosh
01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Eh...there's a difference between bad/mediocre (Toronto, New Jersey, Detroit, Cleveland, Sacramento, Minnesota) and those in NBA Hell (Charlotte, Portland, Denver, Phoenix, New Orleans, Memphis, Utah).

Evolution23
01-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Detroit is because they used up a lot of cap space for players that are not producing at all.

daleja424
01-07-2011, 12:54 AM
I feel we are talking more about NBA limbo than hell. The OP seems most inerested in those that are stuck in between elite and bad that cant get over the hump for one reason or another.

MJ-BULLS
01-07-2011, 12:54 AM
for me the teams that are an NBA hell. are, Detroit, Portland, Phoenix, and Charlotte.

MIKE&IKE's
01-07-2011, 12:55 AM
there should be two divisions, nba purgatory, and nba hell

Phenomenonsense
01-07-2011, 12:57 AM

Says a fan of the team that was down to Detroit by 20 in the beginning of the season. That was sad, especially seeing how bad they are now.

Slimsim
01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Cleveland

Korman12
01-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Hell I think is reserved for Cleveland, LAC, Toronto, Charlotte.

Purgatory is for Portland, Phoenix, New Orleans, Indiana, Atlanta, and a few other teams I'm probably forgetting.

ChiTownPacerFan
01-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Collison has been a subpar performer... those who thought the Hornets could trade Paul when Collison was tearing it up were wrong.

I don't call a possible 8th seed and getting ousted in 4 games "turning it around".

I wouldn't say Collison has underperformed, I would say he has been misused. Jim O'brien's offense doesn't really use a point guard. In our offense he is just another jump shooter. DC played really well last year, and I promise you under a new coach or on another team he will thrive again.

The real problems with the team are O'brien and the fact that Danny Granger is not a star. He shot 37% from the field last month. He is a strictly a jumpshooter, and when guys get up on him, he's pretty bad.

While Hibbert has shown some signs, he still has a long way to go. Couple that with the fact that Josh McRoberts starts, and, yeah, this team is definitely in basketball hell.

bholly
01-07-2011, 01:18 AM
I'd take Indy off the OP's list, and probably Memphis too. The Grizzlies are tied for 9th in the West, and haven't got a 2011 first rounder, but they have an impressively young and talented core, and several trade assets - I think they'll continue to improve over the next few years and become a solid playoff team, if not better.
Wouldn't hurt to have a better FO, though.

KingOf215
01-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Cleveland is the only one worthy of that name.

sargon21
01-07-2011, 01:36 AM
I'd take Indy off the OP's list, and probably Memphis too. The Grizzlies are tied for 9th in the West, and haven't got a 2011 first rounder, but they have an impressively young and talented core, and several trade assets - I think they'll continue to improve over the next few years and become a solid playoff team, if not better.
Wouldn't hurt to have a better FO, though.

But can't they not re-sign a couple of their guys?

sunsfan88
01-07-2011, 01:43 AM
PHX is #1 hell. Its hot as hell in Arizona and we suck too.

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Arizona has pretty landscape though, that's got to count for something

MalZee24
01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Cleveland because they have a bunch of devils as their fans.

5ass
01-07-2011, 03:03 AM

not really collison is playing well, i mean jim o brien does not have a "point guard friendly" system.. look at TJ ford and how his stats dropped from when he was in toronto. its just a different system.. collison definately has some talent

abe_froman
01-07-2011, 03:04 AM
dunno why people are saying clevland,they are bad enough to get a good shot at a high pick

nba hell is where your not good enough to be considered elite or have dreams of at title shots,but not bad enough to get high percentage chances in the lotto.finishing from the 7-11th in the standings,with no high upside guys on the roster.

bholly
01-07-2011, 03:08 AM
But can't they not re-sign a couple of their guys?

Remains to be seen how the CBA works out. Under the current CBA I believe they have the ability. I think Gasol is a restricted free agent with Bird rights, and Randolph is unrestricted but again with Bird rights - and that's if they even want to re-sign him for the amount he's asking. He's maybe not young enough to be integral to their future, anyway.

The problem isn't that they can't (at least under the current CBA), it's that their ownership is too cheap to pay for it. That's what I meant about the FO needing improvement - it was a broad comment including ownership.

But yeah, if they start losing players because the ownership stops paying for the young talent as they come up for new contracts, then yeah, I'd put them back on the hell list.

kozelkid
01-07-2011, 04:03 AM
I feel we are talking more about NBA limbo than hell. The OP seems most inerested in those that are stuck in between elite and bad that cant get over the hump for one reason or another.

Purgatory if you will. :)
Which is actually worse in the NBA than "hell".

kozelkid
01-07-2011, 04:05 AM
dunno why people are saying clevland,they are bad enough to get a good shot at a high pick

nba hell is where your not good enough to be considered elite or have dreams of at title shots,but not bad enough to get high percentage chances in the lotto.finishing from the 7-11th in the standings,with no high upside guys on the roster.

Yup. Indiana is one team that has been in that situation for AWHILE now. Milwaukee has been another.

Niro
01-07-2011, 06:40 AM
i dont count teams like kings or clippers because they are young and have great talent..but teams like detroit,toronto,cleveland and charlotte are screwed because they are stuck with either bad contracts or old players and not so much young talent

KnicksorBust
01-07-2011, 07:00 AM

This. If you can get enough ping pong balls to get in the top 3 of the lottery your franchise can turn around in 2-3 years.

IndyRealist
01-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Being an Indy fan, I'd have to say that the Pacers definitely belong on the list. We've picked 10-13 for the past 3-4 years, and while we're bad enough midseason that we'd qualify for the 4th or 5th pick, our "coach" refuses to throw in the towel like the rest of the bottom teams. Consequentially, we'll win a run of 10 or so meaningless games in March against teams that are resting their starters and bump up our win total. We could spend that time getting experience for our ridiculously young players, but no, they languish on the bench in suits because our vets "give us the best chance to win".

Our talent level is looking up because we've been stockpiling young players, namely Darren Collison, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George, Josh McRoberts, AJ Price and Lance Stephenson.

Collison COULD be a 19/9 guy like he was in New Orleans, but he's a Pick n' Roll PG and our coach refuses to run PNR.

Hibbert looked really good early but the coach moved away from getting him the ball in the low post and instead has him up at the elbow.

AJ Price was told he was our best player in preseason but has played a grand total of 61 minutes so far.

Paul George, despite being perfectly healthy and considered the sleeper of this year's draft, has been in a suit for all but 11 games.

Josh McRoberts, despite hustling, rebounding, and defending like he was asked to, is being benched because he's not scoring.

Lance Stephenson has not played a single game.

Sorry for the rant, I could go on and on about how horrible our coach is. And that's just it, we're stuck with a horrible coach that management won't fire. He makes bad decisions over and over again, takes all the credit for wins and blames the players for losses. He gets booed during the intro of every home game, and there are regular chants of "Fire Jim!" throughout the game.

TheWatcher34
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
NBA hell is cleveland in the post-lebron era. also detroit. the motor city area was hit by the economic crisis and still will be..and the team just sucks.
memphis is also in nba hell. it is one of these teams that have talent..but their best player gets traded or signs with a main market team.

I think the nets have a good future with their new owner and the move to brooklyn. when i look into my crystal ball i can see that in 3 years down the road they will be a legite threat in the east again

lkingratedr
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Hell I think is reserved for Cleveland, LAC, Toronto, Charlotte.

Purgatory is for Portland, Phoenix, New Orleans, Indiana, Atlanta, and a few other teams I'm probably forgetting.

i agree with u but a team in nba hell right now is the pistons... they had major cap space and all they had to do was wait one more year and they could have been major players in the 2010 sweepstakes instead they threw all there money at ben gordon and charlie V ... charlie v has always been a bum to me he never lived up to the expectations any1 had for him and mine were pretty low... and ben gordon is a good player but he must really hate detroit cause he went from 20+ points per game in chicago to 12 in detroit he needs to ask for a buy out and go somewhere else

Raps08-09 Champ
01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I might be biased but I'm not feeling how Toronto is a bad team.

We only got Calderon who is overpaid. Everyone else is under 24 and has potential or an expiring.

We got Bargnani, Derozan, Davis and Bayless who's got some potential. We also got Amir, Kleiza, and Weems who aren't too expensive and put up stats on the board.

HeaTxRipZz
01-07-2011, 06:28 PM
hmmm I would say

Cleveland
Charlotte
Detroit

and borderline would be

Portland (Roy and Oden situation)
Phoenix

godolphins
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Agree

Raoul Duke
01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
The Pistons are definitely in NBA hell. Not quite good enough to make the playoffs, but too good to be anything better than a long shot for a top three pick. We have talent, but it's a mix of win now and win later guys with zero chemistry and a horrible coach. Consequently, our young guys are missing out on minutes while we showcase players that we can't trade due to the team being up for sale.

Did I mention our coach sucks? It's like he does the opposite of what he should do as a joke.

Charlotte, Cleveland and Tronto are right there with us.

SteveNash
01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Based on location:
Atlanta
Boston
Charlotte
Chicago
Cleveland
Dallas
Golden State
Houston
Indiana
Los Angeles (Clippers)
Memphis
Miami
New Jersey
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Sacramento
San Antonio
utah
Washington

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
how in the bloody hell is Chicago in NBA hell? :eyebrow: We've the best team we've had since the 90's and everyone is walking around the city wearing derrick rose jerseys.

SteveNash
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
how in the bloody hell is Chicago in NBA hell? :eyebrow: We've the best team we've had since the 90's and everyone is walking around the city wearing derrick rose jerseys.

I said based on location, in Chicago you have violent crime, hyper segregation, corruption, and out of control taxation. As for the team, they were better the first year Ben Wallace came and were a LaMarcus Aldridge from being a title contender. This team has too much invested in false stars.

GeekInThePink
01-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Why are so many people saying Toronto??

Bulls_fan90
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Detroit, Charlotte, Toronto.

Flash3
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
What teams to you consider to be in NBA Hell right now?

And as for "NBA Hell", I think everyone could have a different definition, but mine is either being bad with not many prospects for the future, or being a 6-7 seed repeatedly in the playoffs, or possibly higher, with no way to get higher.

So, as for now, these are my teams in NBA Hell:

Toronto
New Jersey
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland
Charlotte
Portland
Denver (close one)
Phoenix
New Orleans
Memphis

a couple key omissions: Sacramento, Minnesota, Clippers, and Philadelphia, who I believe to be borderline

So, who is in your "NBA Hell"?

hell. maybe not n.o if paul stays

Flash3
01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
NBA hell is cleveland in the post-lebron era. also detroit. the motor city area was hit by the economic crisis and still will be..and the team just sucks.
memphis is also in nba hell. it is one of these teams that have talent..but their best player gets traded or signs with a main market team.

I think the nets have a good future with their new owner and the move to brooklyn. when i look into my crystal ball i can see that in 3 years down the road they will be a legite threat in the east again

they did resign rudy, but for way too much he really isnt that good for that money

Flash3
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
i'm gonna say cleveland, toronto has alot of young guys and atleast got rid of hedo, they will be alright.

StriveGreatness
01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Portland.