PDA

View Full Version : A Take On The Super-Team Era (Strictly Speculation))

Baller1
01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
The Superteam Era Is Upon Us, What's Going To Happen In The NBA?
Kevin Baumer | Jan. 6, 2011, 5:31 PM | 129 |

If you're an NBA franchise and you don't already have a legitimate superstar on your team and money to spend, you are screwed.

The NBA is not a place for the weak, and thanks to LeBron James' cowardly act in July we've entered a "Superteam" era unlike anything we've seen in the NBA since the 1980s.

The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers stand in Miami's way this year, but the reality is that both are due for a slip. Boston's "Big Three" have experienced a resurgence in 2010, but at their ages they can't hope to sustain success past next year. And the Lakers already appear to have lost a step as (gasp) Kobe Bryant might be slowing down sooner than later.

Which means the NBA is about to be the Heat's domain. Whether Miami wins the NBA Title in 2011 or in two years, the truth is that this team appears poised to go on a run during the six seasons "The Heatles" are together. At least, right now it looks like no one will be in the way.

Fast forward six months.

The New York Knicks look poised to acquire Carmelo Anthony, whether it's through a trade this month, or via free agency after the season (or whenever there's a new CBA). They are very likely to have 'Melo and Amar'e Stoudemire going into next season, and let's not forget that Chris Paul has made his desire to play on a Superteam very clear and has been linked to the Knicks before.

Fast forward to July, 2012.

Dwight Howard and Kevin Love could hit the open market. Unless Orlando wins an NBA Championship, Howard seems likely to move on, and everyone knows that Love wants out of Minnesota. Howard supposedly wants to play for the Lakers, and Love has been tied to another Superteam in waiting, the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Eighteen months from now we could have this scenario:
LeBron James + Dwyane Wade + Chris Bosh vs. Amar'e Stoudemire + Carmelo Anthony + Chris Paul vs. Kobe Bryant + Pau Gasol + Dwight Howard vs. Kevin Durant + Russell Westbrook + Kevin Love vs. Derrick Rose + Joakim Noah + Carlos Boozer.

Far-fetched? Maybe. But if anyone wants to contend with the Heat after the Lakers and Celtics (as currently constructed) experience their inevitable declines, than they'll have to create their own Superteam just like Miami.

It's impossible to forecast the future, but NBA GMs better be doing just that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/superteam-era-nba-miami-heat-new-york-knicks-oklahoma-city-thunder-2011-1

This is his possible outlook by 2012:
LeBron, Wade, and Bosh
Amare, Melo, and Paul
Kobe, Pau, and Dwight
Durant, Westbrook, and Love
Rose, Noah, Boozer

I don't know where this guy got the idea that Love has been recently tied to OKC and unless I'm missing something, I didn't know Dwight wanted to play for LA, but nonetheless, I thought the article was interesting so I wanted to share.

Crackadalic
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
i dont think its a superteam. its just that the talent level of the nba has sky rocketed since the early 2000's making teams even better. i wouldnt be surprise if every team has a big 3 that deserved to be called one

dacreator101
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
its funny how people start mentioning super team when lebron went to miami...nobody said nothing about super team when paul, allen and garnett teamed up...or kobe/gasol/bynum...

210Don
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
i would think a super team would be three guys that have all avged 20 ppg like the heat
then join on eteam

Sixerlover
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
its funny how people start mentioning super team when lebron went to miami...nobody said nothing about super team when paul, allen and garnett teamed up...or kobe/gasol/bynum...

Bynum isn't in the same class as any of the other 6 players you mentioned.

hotpotato1092
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM

To be fair that's because LeBron, Wade and Bosh all fed the fire, and they joined up in their primes, Boston's big three was three desperate vets looking for one last chance to compete legitimately. As for LA, don't put Bynum in the same class as Kobe and Gasol, it's a great duo with a great supporting cast (Bynum, Odom, Artest, Fisher etc...)

T.O-Balla
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Yeah, LeBron and Wade are easily the top players in the league. In 2007, Pierce and Allen were not the dominant players like Wade and LBJ are now. That is why we call Miami the super-team, and THANKS to LEBRON, I'm excited to see which players team up with others.

The difference in Miami and Boston

-Miami has three offensive dominant scorers, superior to any team (Almost every game so far they've played this season, the big three get like 90% of the scoring done). Shut either Wade or LeBron, or CB, there's always another dominant superstar to carry the load.

-Boston plays like a team (the roles Perkins, Baby Davis and Eddie House played was sensational. Now you got guys like Delonte and Nate, this team plays with passion!

THE GIPPER
01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Well hopefully when the nba has a lockout they can fix these issues cuz right now i think the players have a little too much control over the league

metsfanssince05
01-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I abs hate that the players are all friends I wished they all hated eatchother, all planning on to join the same team. WTF has the NBA came to?

tangent12
01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
"and thanks to LeBron James' cowardly act in July"

LOL, niiice. :laugh2: :laugh2:

Funny but completely right.

Chacarron
01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Dwight :drool:

John Walls Era
01-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Durant-Westbrook-Love is not a superteam imo.

Draco
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
18 months from now... Howard to the Bulls via S&T.

NYMetros
01-06-2011, 11:46 PM
The NBA has been all about super teams since it's creation. Only about 4 or 5 teams have a legitimate chance of winning the Championship this year. Since 1980, only 8 different teams have won a championship. That's 31 years (and it will be 32 after this year since either the Lakers/Heat/Spurs/Celtics will be winning it this year in all likelyhood.)

John Walls Era
01-06-2011, 11:47 PM
18 months from now... Howard to the Bulls via S&T.

Boozer, Noah and Dwight... yeah that makes a lot of sense. :p

And no, Magic don't want Noah or Boozer for him.

Chronz
01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
"and thanks to LeBron James' cowardly act in July"

LOL, niiice. :laugh2: :laugh2:

Funny but completely right.
Nothing cowardly about wanting what every champion has had

SteveNash
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/superteam-era-nba-miami-heat-new-york-knicks-oklahoma-city-thunder-2011-1

This is his possible outlook by 2012:
LeBron, Wade, and Bosh
Amare, Melo, and Paul
Kobe, Pau, and Dwight
Durant, Westbrook, and Love
Rose, Noah, Boozer

I don't know where this guy got the idea that Love has been recently tied to OKC and unless I'm missing something, I didn't know Dwight wanted to play for LA, but nonetheless, I thought the article was interesting so I wanted to share.

Where are the super teams?

Draco
01-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Boozer, Noah and Dwight... yeah that makes a lot of sense. :p

And no, Magic don't want Noah or Boozer for him.

I'm sure that Toronto didn't 'want' to lose Bosh for essentially nothing. 'Wants' got nothing to do with it. Orlando doesn't 'want' to lose Howard. :p

Draco
01-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Nothing cowardly about wanting what every champion has had

Maybe but there's also nothing praiseworthy about taking the easiest path to success.

bholly
01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
He's using a very literal interpretation of the word 'possible' to list Amare/Melo/Paul and Kobe/Pau/Dwight in there. Very literal.
And I wouldn't call the OKC and Chicago ones 'superteams'. Really good, sure, but not yet the Boston or Miami level of stardom.

I don't know who Kevin Baumer is, but from this article I'd suspect he isn't a particularly well respected NBA analyst, if he's an NBA analyst at all.

ps. Love was tied to the Thunder by speculation following his comments about him, Rose and Westbrook all playing together one day.

Slimsim
01-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Cool. As a Knicks fan i have no problem with this lol

Korman12
01-07-2011, 01:29 AM
If Super-Team is a team with three All-Star players than superteams have existed since the 50s.

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 01:33 AM
The NBA is not a place for the weak, and thanks to LeBron James' cowardly act in July we've entered a "Superteam" era unlike anything we've seen in the NBA since the 1980s.

Thats what I was afraid, I knew it'd be a bad example and would set a bad precedent.

I'm just glad I'm a fan of a team with 3 great players. Super-team? Ehh...I'm hesitant to refer to my team as a super team right now. We're very good, let's just leave it at that.

Chronz
01-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Maybe but there's also nothing praiseworthy about taking the easiest path to success.
LOL yea right, youll see what I mean when Bron starts racking up the titles.

THE MTL
01-07-2011, 01:38 AM
NBa is back to the 80s. Its good basketball. High ratings. Fun teams. I cannot complain.

Btw, "everyone knows Kevin Love wants out of Minny" I didnt know that. Especially after the team got rid of Al jefferson in order to make Love happy.

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 01:41 AM
I'm sure that Toronto didn't 'want' to lose Bosh for essentially nothing. 'Wants' got nothing to do with it. Orlando doesn't 'want' to lose Howard. :p

So what happens to Noah and Boozer? A slap in the face to those guys...

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 01:42 AM

TBH, in 5 years all the casual fans (majority) will overlook that if Lebron wins a ring or 2. Also if all these superteams are formed, the might actually credit Lebron for making the league exciting...

Draco
01-07-2011, 01:44 AM
LOL yea right, youll see what I mean when Bron starts racking up the titles.

you can't fake the funk.. people know a fraud when they see one.

Draco
01-07-2011, 01:46 AM
TBH, in 5 years all the casual fans (majority) will overlook that if Lebron wins a ring or 2. Also if all these superteams are formed, the might actually credit Lebron for making the league exciting...

It's been about 5 years since the heat won their last title and I haven't forgotten how lousy the officiating was.

IBleedPurple
01-07-2011, 01:47 AM
It was bad before, and it's getting worse. The NBA needs some new policies to correct this.

Draco
01-07-2011, 01:49 AM
So what happens to Noah and Boozer? A slap in the face to those guys...

relax, we're just speculating.. what happens to noah or boozer? in my scenario one of them is traded. probably noah since he has more value. trades happen all the time, it's not a slap in the face.

Chronz
01-07-2011, 01:49 AM
you can't fake the funk.. people know a fraud when they see one.
Maybe Im not cool but I really dont know what you mean here

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 01:51 AM
he's saying Lebron isn't funky (good) enough to get a ring and that he's a fraud.

Draco
01-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Maybe Im not cool but I really dont know what you mean here

well.. that my opinion of lebron as a guy incapable of delivering on the promise to bring a title to cleveland or a title to any city without the help (insert colluding and tampering here) of another top 5 player and a top 15 player.. that won't be clouded by however many rings he wins against teams that don't pose any real threat. (in the near future if not now)

Draco
01-07-2011, 01:58 AM
he's saying Lebron isn't funky (good) enough to get a ring and that he's a fraud.

Would the average non-laker fan give kobe the same credit for winning 5 rings as they do jordan for winning his first 5?

I didn't forget his summer meltdown proceeding the Pau trade.

John Walls Era
01-07-2011, 02:42 AM
It's been about 5 years since the heat won their last title and I haven't forgotten how lousy the officiating was.

Looks like you're not a casual fan then ;).

abe_froman
01-07-2011, 02:49 AM
how is this different from the past?

Chronz
01-07-2011, 03:46 AM
well.. that my opinion of lebron as a guy incapable of delivering on the promise to bring a title to cleveland or a title to any city without the help (insert colluding and tampering here) of another top 5 player and a top 15 player.. that won't be clouded by however many rings he wins against teams that don't pose any real threat. (in the near future if not now)
So in other words it doesnt distinguish him in any way from any other star.

Draco
01-07-2011, 03:50 AM
So in other words it doesnt distinguish him in any way from any other star.

i think this time i'm not cool enough to follow your line of thinking.

jmtapia
01-07-2011, 03:55 AM
there is so much talent in the NBA... its bound to happen... lets just hope its our teams that get the right bounces.

Chronz
01-07-2011, 03:59 AM
i think this time i'm not cool enough to follow your line of thinking.
Explain how this alleged tampering is any different from a guy becoming a FA and just choosing to join forces. Who the **** cares when he decided to go about this.

How is him not delivering a title to a flawed franchise something to hold against him.

Your expecting too much from 1 man.

NYKalltheway
01-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Super team era? You're like 3 decades late

Sadds The Gr8
01-07-2011, 04:21 AM
Rose, Noah, Boozer

How is that a superteam???

Crackadalic
01-07-2011, 04:41 AM
the C's and the Lakers were super teams in the 80's. its no different today

Draco
01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Explain how this alleged tampering is any different from a guy becoming a FA and just choosing to join forces. Who the **** cares when he decided to go about this.

How is him not delivering a title to a flawed franchise something to hold against him.

Your expecting too much from 1 man.

I remember reading or listening to a miami media outlet that speculated Riley isn't the kind of GM to put re-signing Wade at risk by dumping the amount of salary/personnel/any chance of presently winning which was necessary in order to sign lebron, and bosh and re-sign wade without knowing he was going to get those players. I believe this is what happened.

Why shouldn't I hold Lebron to his promise? He's the 'Chosen One'.. he was supposed to destroy the heat not join them. :p

thekmp211
01-07-2011, 01:56 PM
^^ its not lebrons job to fulfill fan expectations and fantasies about how his career was supposed to play out.

and that miami radio bit is speculation, as is everything else surrounding how the decision went down.

Sly Guy
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM

BECAUSE:

paul, allen, and garnett are on the downsides of their careers. They were expected to have, one, two seasons performing to championship level. Since then they were lucky to have rondo pan out [few if any saw his development coming], and padded their roster full of other aging former all-stars.

Kobe, Gasol and Bynum......well bynum was an unknown, which makes it a pairing rather than a 'superteam'.

xbrackattackx
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I remember reading or listening to a miami media outlet that speculated Riley isn't the kind of GM to put re-signing Wade at risk by dumping the amount of salary/personnel/any chance of presently winning which was necessary in order to sign lebron, and bosh and re-sign wade without knowing he was going to get those players. I believe this is what happened.

Why shouldn't I hold Lebron to his promise? He's the 'Chosen One'.. he was supposed to destroy the heat not join them. :p

Star Wars Quote made this even better.

I agree though everyone is defending Lebron for promises he made, Is one man suppose to win a title? No but he is suppose to lead his team to it. Jordan did it and he had Pippen and role players. If Lebron is the best player in the League then yes I hold him higher to his word then someone like Mike Bibby. His team in Cleveland was built for his strengths and he couldn't come though. I am not a Lebron hater I think he is the most talented basketball player in the League. But he made him self look silly. Do I think the Heat are a great team..Sure they are winning, But no matter what If Lebron wins 7 rings they will be tainted from the Media and Fans because of his actions AT FIRST, Then it will fade away look at Jordan no one remembers his gambling debts, Rumors he is the reason his father was killed and Him retiring all the time people remember his Skills. Lebron will be remembered also but I think because of this debacle that first ring will not mean as much personally to him. Why? He didn't Lead the team. Him and Wade both did.

lkingratedr
01-07-2011, 03:34 PM

honestly i think thats where the problem started with this every1 wants a super team

the celtics gave awayalmost everything to unite 3 great players and dont say they were on the backsides of there career either cause ray allen was shooting 3 lights out and garnett was dominating for the timberwolves pierce was just trying to carry that team once they got together they dominated won games and eventually the championship

after that it seems every team in the nba wants to assemble a big 3 or a super team

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
How is that a superteam???

It's pretty much impossible to say at this point since Rose, Noah and Boozer played like...what...5? 6 games together?

Chronz
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Again what difference does it make, whats the difference between forming the team and having the luck of a GM falling into one due to era or luck. Besides if Bron really wanted to he could have joined them regardless.

And you shouldnt hold it against him because the chosen one isnt alone on the court.

LA_Raiders
01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I have to agree, The Strong get stronger and the weak weaker, what a ****ing democracy....

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh (Cowards)
Amare, Melo, and Paul (Very Likely)
Kobe, Pau, and Dwight (Might Happen)
Durant, Westbrook, and Love (Very Young Talent, but we will see)
DWill, Dirk, Josh Smith (?)

Jonathan2323
01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I have to agree, The Strong get stronger and the weak weaker, what a ****ing democracy....

Amare, Melo, and Paul (Very Likely)
Kobe, Pau, and Dwight (Might Happen)

They should be applauded for taking less money and wanting to win, isn't that what sports are about. People just hate them because they know how great they can be.

cheetos185
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
i dont think dwight is going to lakers kobe doesn't have much left in him and whose gonna throw alley hoop to dwight shanon brown?

mikantsass
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Neither is Rose, Noah and Boozer

ttam68
01-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Amare, Melo, and Paul (Very Likely)Kobe, Pau, and Dwight (Might Happen)

How is that "very likely"? They don't even have Melo yet and CP3 is quite a throw in.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Cuz you had arguabley the best 3 players @ each position, all in there prime teaming up.

Ray Allen, Paul Pierce have never been the best or even considered the best @ there position. and by no means were they in they're prime.

Bynum shouldn't even be mentiond.

RZZZA
01-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Durant, Westbrook and Love is not a superteam?

blueplanet
01-07-2011, 05:29 PM

I don't get it. How is that he took the easiest path when you guys have been claiming since summer Lakers and Celtics are better than the Heat :confused: Hate much?:facepalm:

Draco
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Again what difference does it make, whats the difference between forming the team and having the luck of a GM falling into one due to era or luck. Besides if Bron really wanted to he could have joined them regardless.

And you shouldnt hold it against him because the chosen one isnt alone on the court.

Tampering is illegal in the NBA, having good luck isn't. If Dwight really wanted to he could sign with the Bulls for the vet minimum when he's finished his Orlando contract. But since most players care about their wallet I suppose Rose could conspire with Dwight and Bulls management to bring him over in 18 months. That might give Foreman enough time to dump salary. Gee, if you remove the inconvenient impediment of having a salary cap it would be really easy for a handful of teams who don't follow rules to form super teams.

Chronz
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Draco what your basically saying is that $ is what determines greatness, if Bron had taken the minimum to join the Lakers and won a title that way, by your logic, it would be a more meaningful title correct. Even though it would be far easier and he would play a far lesser role in doing so.

Tampering is illegal in the NBA, having good luck isn't.
So? Again this makes no difference from a basketball perspective, all that matters is your role in winning a chip. Brons role is great thats all I care about, its greater than just about every other title won, whether they came about due to sheer luck or their own design. When MJ threatened to quit if they traded Pippen, isnt that tampering? There are so many worse legal actions than this alleged tampering. Yet it doesnt discredit their titles one bit. NOTHING matters more than your role in winning a title. Thats all that determines your greatness.

If Dwight really wanted to he could sign with the Bulls for the vet minimum when he's finished his Orlando contract.
Hasnt Dwight already hinted at joining LA? Isnt Melo telling the Nugs hes not going to resign, I dont see the difference.
PS Players have taken less $ to join stacked squads so again this could have still happened even if it came from sheer luck and not Brons doing.

But since most players care about their wallet I suppose Rose could conspire with Dwight and Bulls management to bring him over in 18 months.
LOL @ you classifying it as conspiring, when its simply a player controlling his own destiny and not allowing luck to determine his greatness.

That might give Foreman enough time to dump salary. Gee, if you remove the inconvenient impediment of having a salary cap it would be really easy for a handful of teams who don't follow rules to form super teams.

Why remove it when you can function within its limitations? Though to be fair players of the past didnt have to deal with this.

Still what Im most curious about is how you can believe something so faithfully with such little evidence. If it were so clear and SOOOO unfair why arent teams looking into it? Was Wade really just lying about how unhappy he was that the team didnt use their cap space to bring him help sooner? Why did he meet with Chicago twice?

Draco
01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
So? Again this makes no difference from a basketball perspective, all that matters is your role in winning a chip. Brons role is great thats all I care about, its greater than just about every other title won, whether they came about due to sheer luck or their own design. When MJ threatened to quit if they traded Pippen, isnt that tampering?

No, it's not.

Hasnt Dwight already hinted at joining LA? Isnt Melo telling the Nugs hes not going to resign, I dont see the difference.

95. What is tampering?

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team to negotiate for their services. The NBA may impose stiff penalties if tampering is discovered, however the league's practice has been to wait until a team lodges a complaint before investigating (but that's not to say they don't continue to monitor the leauge and won't take action independently if they discover that tampering has occurred). Here are some examples:

* The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was still head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.
* After Will Perdue left San Antonio in the 1999 offseason to sign with Chicago, he commented to the press about the possibility of the Bulls signing Tim Duncan and/or Grant Hill in 2000. The league considered this to be tampering, and issued Perdue a warning.

You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q95

LOL @ you classifying it as conspiring, when its simply a player controlling his own destiny and not allowing luck to determine his greatness.

LOL @ you for not knowing what tampering is.

Why remove it when you can function within its limitations? Though to be fair players of the past didnt have to deal with this.

Still what Im most curious about is how you can believe something so faithfully with such little evidence. If it were so clear and SOOOO unfair why arent teams looking into it?

Actually Cleveland spent a lot of money to look into it.

It's not like Riley hasn't tampered in the past.

The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by..

dodie53
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
i wish nash and grant hill would join a super team
hehe

soonabooma
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM

:rolleyes: