PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more teams crowd Rondo and put him on the FT line?

beasted86
01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I've always asked this to myself, now let me put it out there for PSD

Rajon Rondo 2010-2011 Statistics
Free Throw Percentage: 41.0%
Free Throws Made/Attempted: 16/39 (1.69 per game)

Instead of sagging off and letting Rondo have clearer court vision to pass... Why don't more teams play him up close like a shooter, then if he burns your PG with his speed, just foul him and put him on the FT line? I don't get how a guy that poor of a shooter, and getting into the teeth of the defense isn't fouled more often. He takes less than 2 free throws a game.

thekmp211
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
he's too good of a passer to allow wide open guys. he's going to find them.

mikantsass
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
the defenders who sag off of rondo are good help defenders who can jump back to rondo when he gets the ball back into his hands. i guess teams would rather have a floating help defender on KG, Pierce, Allen than put Rondo at the line.

Fact of the matter is that when people play him straight up and Rondo blows by them, he rarely shoots.

KingPosey
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Why would you crowd a PG that cant shoot, but can blow right by you if ur up on him? That's dumb.

Bob_at_york
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I have also wondered why he doesn't get sent to the line more.

m26555
I personally think the whole "why don't you just foul (insert player name here)" mantra is pretty stupid (not calling you stupid; just the concept in general). You're just wasting fouls and risking putting yourself in foul trouble, not to mention the fact that, Rondo being a poor free throw shooter aside, you are essentially giving the other team two freebies. Eventually, it will come back to bite you in the rear end.

beasted86
Why would you crowd a PG that cant shoot, but can blow right by you if ur up on him? That's dumb.

To take away the passing lanes.

And BTW, how has the other logic been working out to sag off Rondo?

Hawkeye15
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
he will get his team in the penalty with 10 minutes to go in the quarter, and he is too good a passer regardless, and will burn you.
Do you really want Ray Allen at the line with your 6th team foul with 7 minutes to go on a reach? Probably not

KingPosey
01-06-2011, 12:40 PM

And BTW, how has the other logic been working out to sag off Rondo?

well he still isnt hitting jump shots, so better. Thats a lack of execution if he scores and u lay off him.

And if u sag off him at the top of the key, his passing lanes are way out on the wings. not super dangerous.

beasted86
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I personally think the whole "why don't you just foul (insert player name here)" mantra is pretty stupid (not calling you stupid; just the concept in general). You're just wasting fouls and risking putting yourself in foul trouble, not to mention the fact that, Rondo being a poor free throw shooter aside, you are essentially giving the other team two freebies. Eventually, it will come back to bite you in the rear end.

I get what your saying, but understand I'm not saying to use hack-a-Rondo or to purposely just reach in foul him and put your team into the penalty so Allen, Pierce, and KG can torch you on the line with penalty free throws.

I'm just saying teams should actually put a man on Rondo instead of a floater at the free throw line, and make the passing lanes and lines a little tougher to read for him. If he does get past your PG, and into the defense foul him and live with the 41% shooting.

Wade>You
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM

And BTW, how has the other logic been working out to sag off Rondo?Good point.

I think it comes down to the fact that the rest of the Celtic players draw enough fouls as it is. By fouling Rondo, you might just be putting the Cs in the penalty earlier and the others are the ones benefiting.

I just read this and pretty much agree:

Wade>You
01-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe when the rest of the Cs put a team in foul trouble, you can begin to foul Rondo (and Shaq). Hmm....

beasted86
01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe when the rest of the Cs put a team in foul trouble, you can begin to foul Rondo (and Shaq). Hmm....

I'm not a fan of the "hack-a-(insert bad FT shooter)", but yeah... that too. Why not?

avrpatsfan
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Because he'd get a lot of and-1's

Sadds The Gr8
01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
he'd still be able to drive & kick...if he beats one man and someone comes with help, he'll still be able to pass to the open man.

Cubs Win
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
If he was more of a scorer, sending him to the line would work better I think. But the fact that he is looking to pass, playing him tight will allow him to get into the lane easier against most point guards and get some easy passes.

For example: Say Monta Ellis shot 41% from the FT line, then this could work on him possibly. Because from what I've seen, he looks to score. So instead of allowing the easy 2 sometimes, putting him on the line to earn them could result in 0 or 1 as well.

ChiTownPacerFan
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
he'd still be able to drive & kick...if he beats one man and someone comes with help, he'll still be able to pass to the open man.

This.