PDA

View Full Version : With Butler out for the season, should the Mavs go after Melo full-steam?

DitchDat
01-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Melo is basically a much better Caron Butler, should they pursue him?
and would it put them over the top?

Personally, I think he would be a great fit next to Nowitzki, Chandler and Kidd
With Nowitzki, Terry and Melo on the floor, that's a lot of scorers to defend at the same time

xabial
01-06-2011, 08:05 AM
anything can happen in sports. I hate using a baseball analogy in a basketball forum but you saw what cliff lee did when he signed with philly. If Carmelo is willing to sign the extension with the Mavs i dont see why not. What they give up however, is the fun part to speculate.

DitchDat
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
very true, I read somewhere that the Mavs are not expected to make any bold moves tho

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Melo is basically a much better Caron Butler, should they pursue him?
and would it put them over the top?

Personally, I think he would be a great fit next to Nowitzki, Chandler and Kidd
With Nowitzki, Terry and Melo on the floor, that's a lot of scorers to defend at the same time

What is your proposed trade, I see that mavs have no pieces to trade for Melo.

xabial
01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
very true, I read somewhere that the Mavs are not expected to make any bold moves tho

I dont believe that. It seems like every year Cuban makes that big Trade to try to get the Mavs the championship, and that's without injuries.

If Not Carmelo I could see them Trading for another high priced PF/C to replace butler. I think the Mavs Are the 2nd most active trading team in the NBA after the Timberwolves.

pebloemer
01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
What is your proposed trade, I see that mavs have no pieces to trade for Melo.

I agree. When I read the thread title my instinct response was: "with what young assets?" They have some decent young players like Beaubois, but if Denver is reportedly asking for 5 first rounders, I don't see Dallas having near enough to make an offer.

S-Dot
01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
They should go after him, but it depends on how much they have to lose in order to get him.

MacFitz92
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Roddy Beaubois and Dominique Jones? Expirings like Butler? or combination in Tyson Chandler? a deal could be done if they really wanted to.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Roddy Beaubois and Dominique Jones? Expirings like Butler? or combination in Tyson Chandler? a deal could be done if they really wanted to.

I think Roddy isn't enough for the future of Denver, he is unproven and seems that other GMs aren't as high as on him like Cuban.

Jones has only played 11 games.I haven't seen him play but his stats are horrible.

Dallas doesn't have any good draft picks.

Can't trade injured Butler plus Denver doesn't want him

Chandler is a possibility cause he's an expiring but Denver has Nene already.

IMO it is highly unlikely that Melo will be wearing Mavs colors before the trade deadline or after.

JasonJohnHorn
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Hellz yeah!
Five first rounders? Hell, give them 7! And Butler!
With Dirk, Melo, Chandler and Terry, these guys will be able to draw free agents in and not need draft picks for the next 5 years!

Evolution23
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
If the Mavs get Melo and they win, im sure Melo will sign back with them

ttam68
01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm sure they were going after him in the first place. Its not like having Caron Butler would make them any less interested in a star player

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Hellz yeah!
Five first rounders? Hell, give them 7! And Butler!
With Dirk, Melo, Chandler and Terry, these guys will be able to draw free agents in and not need draft picks for the next 5 years!

Teams can't trade consecutive first round picks

And I bet Denver does not want rebuild for such a long time, they want picks in near future

xbrackattackx
01-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Chandler is helping make your defense what it has been lacking and you wanna trade him for a Pure Scorer?

ManOnFire
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Dont think he'll be much of an upgrade...but sure why not? LoL