PDA

View Full Version : Hornets Moving To San Jose??

Mr.SmackYoMama
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM
http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/2011/01/05/larry-ellison-might-buy-new-orleans-hornets-and-move-them-to-san-jose/?boxes=financechannelforbes

Oracle CEO and billionaire Larry Ellison was rebuffed in his bid to buy the Golden State Warriors when the NBA franchise was sold to a group led by Peter Guber and Joseph Lacob in July for $450 million.

But a source tells me that one reason why Golden State sold for a record NBA price is that the new owners of the Warriors could get from $100 million to $150 million from an owner who wants to bring a second NBA team to the San Francisco area.

That is where the New Orleans Hornets, who were bought by the league for $310 million last month, come in. The Hornets lease at New Orleans Arena expires in 2014 and the franchise, suffering big losses and low attendance, needs to move to a market with better demographics and more corporate sponsors.

It makes perfect sense that Ellison, who is worth $27 billion and badly wants an NBA franchise, would buy the Hornets and move the team to San Jose. For starters, he could immediately share a building with the NHLís Sharks. Also, San Jose is the third-largest city in California and the tenth-largest city in the U.S., so sponsorship revenue would no longer be a problem. And the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose television market is the sixth-largest, which would provide a substantial increase in media revenue and make it possible to launch a regional sports network with other sports teams in the area.

My source says Ellison would be more than happy to pony up $450 million for the Hornets (including a relocation fee for the Warriors) given the improved economics for NBA teams that will be the result of the new collective bargaining agreement.

bahama0811
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
How many teams do we really need in California?

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
How many teams do we really need in California?

seriously, you tell em

plus Los Angeles is getting a football team. Californians can already cheer for the 49ers and the Raiders and the Chargers!

You californians are worse than those Texans, need 3 or 4 of everything. :mad:

GSwarriors4LIFE
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I would love to see a hornets warriors rivalry over who is the best in the bay. I lived in San Jose for 15 years and let me tell you there is plenty of money for a professional sports team to make. 5 teams in Cali might be too much, so I say ship the clips down south to NO.

John Walls Era
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
No more California based teams. If you're gonna move to the West Coast, give Seattle the Hornets.

Seattle Hornets has a nice ring. San Jose Hornets does too though . . . . . . .

The_Mac22
01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Yea make the Clippers go somewhere else.

I'm down with this move, 3 teams in Nor Cal! :speechless:

S-Dot
01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
No more California based teams. If you're gonna move to the West Coast, give Seattle the Hornets.

Seattle Hornets has a nice ring. San Jose Hornets does too though . . . . . . .

if a team moves back to Seattle, I believe theyre bringing the Sonics name back. But the NBA does need more teams in that Pacific time; I like the Seattle idea.

CityofChaos
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
One team would obviously have to be moved elsewhere if this happens. You cant have 6 teams in 1 division and only 4 in another.

Flash3
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
seriously, you tell em

plus Los Angeles is getting a football team. Californians can already cheer for the 49ers and the Raiders and the Chargers!

cali is pretty big, cali papulation > whole of Canada

so having alot of teams isnt bad idea.

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 04:33 PM
it is to me. Cincinnati has twice the amount of people as San Jose so maybe they should move the team there. Let Ohio have 2 teams.

seriously, Cali has like 5 baseball teams, soon to be 4 football teams and soon to be 5 basketball teams?

no mooooore!

Klivlend
01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Seattle please!

Crab Dribble!
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
it is to me. Cincinnati has twice the amount of people as San Jose so maybe they should move the team there. Let Ohio have 2 teams.

seriously, Cali has like 5 baseball teams, soon to be 4 football teams and soon to be 5 basketball teams?

no mooooore!

Uh, Cincinnati has about a third of the population of San Jose. Also, teams move to California because we're big, have lots of money and love sports, so there's a lot of profit to be made.

Sly Guy
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
If you're gonna move the hornets, you should put it back in seattle or vancouver.

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
from a business standpoint I understand it, but from a fans perspective I don't like it. Soon half the teams of the NBA will be located in California.

5 mlb teams, soon 4 nfl teams, and if this rumor is true, 5 nba teams. That sure is a lot.

B.JenningsMVP
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
The whole NBA should just relocate to California.. rename the NBA -> CBA (california basketball association)

B.JenningsMVP
and yea if anything, move a team to Seattle

Crab Dribble!
If you're gonna move the hornets, you should put it back in seattle or vancouver.

The Kings look as if they won't be staying in Sacramento, so they might end up moving north. Ellison wants a team in the Bay Area because he lives here, and didn't end up buying the Warriors. (rumors are that Cohan messed with the timing on the bids to ensure Ellison wouldn't win because there's some kind of bad blood between them)

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
you know which other major city needs an NBA team?

Las Vegas, Nevada

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
or Virginia, that state needs an NBA team. Maybe Richmond?

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Or Alabama

akagiredsuns
01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
What a damn joke. Another team in California? Seriously? That would be stupid. Unless someone like the Clippers leave California and maybe become the new Seattle Sonics. But come on the San Jose Hornets? That is about the most idiotic name ever. Why not consider Las Vegas perhaps, that way at least the team will still be in the Southwest region geographically? Wow! Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Warriors. Enough is enough already. :facepalm:

kobe24>lebron23
01-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Move them to anaheim so they can compete with the clippers as to who the better little brother is to the lakers!
Dont get me wrong i like the clippers and they have a bright future but they'll never be as big as the lakers!

yshNYK
01-05-2011, 06:10 PM
LMAO yea right.

besides..Seattle still needs their team back

cargobox
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
California, we taking over! (One city at a time) - Akon

Hahahahaha

drew_ellis_23
01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Las Vegas, Nevada

I think Sacramento will end up in Vegas.

GreatMustachio1
01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Richmond, VA is maybe the worst city in the United States. That would never happen and if it did, it would be a huge failure.

saucy1
01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
i think san jose will have all leagues soon(including the winers)Just to many huge companies in the area with financial power.That being said i think its gonna be the kings

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Richmond, VA is maybe the worst city in the United States. That would never happen and if it did, it would be a huge failure.

Virginia Beach then, its the largest city in Virginia.

I mean, there are 25 states in this country with no NBA team, and california has 4.

BkOriginalOne
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Give them to Seattle. They need some luck in their city.

mttwlsn16
01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
seriously, you tell em

ya...my vikes are headed to LA i feel like :( sucks

colinskik
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
San JOse is the 10th largest city in America? That's news to me...If the Clips and Kings end up leaving like reported then I have no problem with this move. If not, then it's just too many Cali teams.

GeekInThePink
01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I am honestly sick of hearing people saying they want a franchise back in Seattle. They had a franchise, they don't anymore. They're the thunder now, get over it.

hyb152
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
seriously, you tell em

Woah... timeout. California isn't racist.

JWO35
01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
St. Louis, MO
Baltimore, MD
Seattle, WA
Jackson, MS
Montgomery, AL
Richmond, VA
Pittsburgh, PA

All cities worthy of a NBA Team

Nowakm33
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I am honestly sick of hearing people saying they want a franchise back in Seattle. They had a franchise, they don't anymore. They're the thunder now, get over it.

Hahaha "get over it". :facepalm:

aussie
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
so would they rename the pacific division to the california division....
idm aslong as hornets are successful im happy

ryguy2k7
01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
St. Louis, MO
Baltimore, MD
Seattle, WA
Jackson, MS
Montgomery, AL
Richmond, VA
Pittsburgh, PA

All cities worthy of a NBA Team

I'd like the team in St. Louis. That's not a bad idea. I completed forgot St. Louis didn't have a team. Cali doesn't need another team. Honestly. The Clippers, Warriors and Kings all are filler-crappy teams..why put another team in there for Californians to choose from? Stupid!

St. Louis Hornets. Or maybe they'd pull a "Thunder" and change up the name and jerseys. St. Louis Bluebirds. I don't know haha.

BirdIsTheWord
01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
If this move happened, the Hornets should just switch divisions with the Phoenix Suns.

RaiderLakersA's
01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Do it, Larry, do it!!! That will give me one more venue to watch my Lakers play locally.

The San Jose Hornets doesn't sound half bad.

RaiderLakersA's
01-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Woah... timeout. California isn't racist.

Yeah, our rednecks are civilized! :D

(No offense to any rednecks, irrespective of geographic location.)

RaiderLakersA's
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Las Vegas, Nevada

Move the Kings to Vegas???

Giants-49ers-Ws
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
mixed feelings.

being a warriors fan, it is nice to see them as the only team in the bay area as everyone pulls for them after being divided on giants-a's and 9ers-raiders

that being said i'm not completely against the hornets moving to SJ..as long as it's not SF because the warriors might be moving back there

i hope people who are warriors fans don't jump ship and become hornets fans...but i'm sure they'll get some bandwagon jumpers if they win

BuddhaMONK
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
**** seattle, they had a fair chance to support their team and they failed. Vancouver on the other hand was ****ed over right from the get go with the draft, and poor ownership. Grizzles are probably the worst run franchise in the history of the nba, and it still continues in memphis Vancouver derserves a team way more then seattle, one with proper ownership (Canadian ownership not some sell-out american named heisley).

Teeboy1487
01-05-2011, 08:23 PM
The nba should have kept the Sonics in Seattle and should have let the hornets stay in OKC where they were.

AWC713
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
seriously, you tell em

Sorry for having 3 of the 10 most populated cities in America.

Sincerely,

Houston (4), San Antonio(7), and Dallas(9)

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
blah, it's all texas. if it was up to me it'd be one state, one team.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
with Larry Ellison I believe it will happen... wouldve been nice if he owned the dubs though

tkshy
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I am thinking
Clippers to Seattle (Super Sonics)
Hornets to San Jose (name game)
Kings to KC (Kings)

mavwar53
01-05-2011, 08:51 PM
from a business standpoint I understand it, but from a fans perspective I don't like it. Soon half the teams of the NBA will be located in California.

5 mlb teams, soon 4 nfl teams, and if this rumor is true, 5 nba teams. That sure is a lot.

And still ESPN wouldn't recognize any professional team that is in cali except the lakers.:)

pistonsfanomg
01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I would love to see a hornets warriors rivalry over who is the best in the bay. I lived in San Jose for 15 years and let me tell you there is plenty of money for a professional sports team to make. 5 teams in Cali might be too much, so I say ship the clips down south to NO.

Why not just ship the clips to San Jose?

Crab Dribble!
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Why not just ship the clips to San Jose?

Because Sterling doesn't want to sell.

schilling
01-05-2011, 09:13 PM

We can't even keep a Triple A baseball team here. :facepalm:

schilling
01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Seattle need a team more so than San Jose.

But yet there's teams in Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Sacramento, Utah, and Memphis so I guess anything is possible with this league.

BuddhaMONK
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Seattle need a team more so than San Jose.

But yet there's teams in Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Sacramento, Utah, and Memphis so I guess anything is possible with this league.

pittsburgh does not need a team, philadelphia is like an hour away they got the 76ers. Plus pittsburg an awful city (no offense).

Vincent33
01-05-2011, 09:37 PM
San Jose? WTF. Give Seattle CP3 and call them the Super Sonics.

Supa
01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Wow, 5 teams, California can have it's own division.

---

asandhu23
01-05-2011, 10:12 PM
San Francisco Bay Area is a HUGE market. some of you are finally starting to realize that. there is a reason why Warriors sold for a record amount

3 major cities. Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco with a decent sized cities like San Mateo, Redwood City, Walnut Creek and ultra rich areas like Los Altos, Atherton, Woodside, Hillsborough.

samevans7
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Pro teams in the MLB, NBA, NFL ( idont watch hockey so i cant really tell ya)

Cali:
Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Kings, Chargers, Raiders, Niners, Giants, Padres, Dodgers, Angels

Seattle:
Mariners, Seahawks

i vote seattle

lkingratedr
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
honestly the hornets to cali is a horrible idea i say keep them in new orleans... cali already has 4 teams if you add the hornets thats over saturation ... unless the kings get moved to las vegas or the nba expands which i dont see unless its globally this move makes no sense

oh and screw seattle they deserved to get there team taken after they gave away the farm ...

benzni
01-05-2011, 11:10 PM
moving the team to idaho wouldnt be a bad idea

benzni
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Cali:
Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Kings, Chargers, Raiders, Niners, Giants, Padres, Dodgers, Angels

Seattle:
Mariners, Seahawks

i vote seattle

to go along with this, the ducks, kings, and sharks play in the nhl. cali doesnt need another team.

MackShock
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
the Hornets arent moving to San Jose...the whole point of the NBA buying the Hornets is so they could keep them in New Orleans..

Although if larry ellison buys them....

MackShock
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Seattle would be good...but most likely the Hornets are staying.

Y2JOrdan
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
yes move them to Cal! lol

saintdrew
01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Dammit, I hope they stay in NOLA!!!!

JhonShine
04-05-2012, 02:19 AM
At Fairprice Movers, we offer the best in the bay area moving services. Our experience and expertise insures not only your belongings, but also a quality, efficient, and careful move/relocation for the best price guaranteed.

Movers San Jose (http://www.fairpricemovers.com/)

shep33
04-05-2012, 02:25 AM
As a Laker fan... just no. Bring a team back to Seattle.

Cfrey
04-05-2012, 02:41 AM
if a team is moving anywhere it should be to seattle

DaLakerz Rulz
04-05-2012, 02:48 AM
2 teams in northern california is more than enough. This is just getting ridiculous.

Supa
04-05-2012, 02:50 AM
5 teams in California, might as well change the Pacific Division to "California Division".

---

GSWJunkie
04-05-2012, 03:30 AM
They just want California because they know that the fans are rabid crazy about their teams. Well, and California is a huge market with tons of top notch sickeningly wealthy companies that are a major driving force in the country's economy and leaders of the world in technology. How else could a team suck as bad as the Warriors and still draw top 10 attendance numbers year in and year out? Why would Ellison want to move a team to Seattle where there is basically no fan support? If there was, then the Sonics wouldn't have needed to relocate. Why would Mr. Ellison risk taking a major financial loss like that? The fans in Seattle are just way to prejudiced towards the Seahawks! That dome is crazy loud, and unfortunately, there just wasn't nearly as much support for the NBA franchise and if they did decide to give them another team, I can basically see the same thing happening all over again.

xk4
04-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Considering the shenanigans NBA players pull in boring cities, I would love to see what happens to a Vegas team

Plus you could have the boxing guy announce the players
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Buffer

todu82
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I think the league will move the Hornets to a city like St.Louis, Portland, Las Vegas or Cincinatti. Don't think California should get another franchise as that would saturate the market down there to much.

cdnsportsfan
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I am thinking
Clippers to Seattle (Super Sonics)
Hornets to San Jose (name game)
Kings to KC (Kings)

Of all the options presented so far in here I like this one the best. I think the Bobcats are a franchise that could move it's kind of become a mess down there as well. Pretty deserving cities for teams right now would be Seattle, since the fan support was there it was the lack of funding for a new arena that screwed them over. A trip back to Vancouver would be nice, since the league left there so quickly/didn't really give them a fair chance when you see what's happening with other franchises completely tanking. That will likely be very low priority though for the NBA.

I've always wondered why places like Kansas City, Pittsburgh and St. Louis don't have teams. Not enough interest? Not enough sponsorship dollars located in those areas?

NoahH
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Great, another California team

Raps08-09 Champ
04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Is San Jose really that much better than Sacramento?

If the Kings have trouble in Sacramento, I don't they do that much better in San Jose.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Cali:

Seattle:
Mariners, Seahawks

i vote seattle

Comparing a state to a city isn't really too fair, is it?

Hester23Jordan
04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
We should have the divisions/teams be like this.

NW
Denver
Seattle (New Orleans)
Portland
Utah
Minnesota

PAC
Los Angeles
San Diego (Clippers)
San Francisco (Sacramento)
Oakland (GS)
Phoenix

SW
San Antonio
Dallas
Houston
OKC
Memphis

Shmontaine
04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
At Fairprice Movers, we offer the best in the bay area moving services. Our experience and expertise insures not only your belongings, but also a quality, efficient, and careful move/relocation for the best price guaranteed.

Movers San Jose (http://www.fairpricemovers.com/)

WTF?? why are you bumping a year old thread...

the date of the article was 1/05/2011... and stern has publicly come out and said he's looking for a buyer who plans to keep the hornets in NOLA...

close this crap...

MrfadeawayJB
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
San Jose? I think Seattle and Vegas should be be ahead of San Jose