PDA

View Full Version : Despite that it's a business, are the Nuggets being fair with Melo?

SteBO
01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
As you guys already know, Melo wants out of Denver. It isn't really speculation anymore, since Melo has made it clear that he wants out and only wants New York, won't extend with New Jersey, etc....Denver seems to be trying to do everything in their power not to give him what he wants, despite the fact that Melo is actually helping them to get something for him and that he isn't tanking the year and continues to play hard for the organization. Do you guys think that Denver's trying to spite Melo a bit because he wants out?

I think they should consider Melo's feeling a little more because he's at least out there playing hard and isn't doing anything spiteful, like faking injuries and such.

0nekhmer
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
in a way yeah. if i had my FRANCHISE/#1 GUY publicly state he wants out, i wouldn't even care for where he goes, as long as I get the best possible trade out of him.

beasted86
01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Melo is not doing everything in his power. He's below his normal numbers.

His PPG, FG%, and 3PT% are all below his career averages.

PC
01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Well to me they were probably going to wait until the deadline to move him so they could try to convince him to re-sign so it's a little to early to jump to conclusions. Right now the reports that Denver isn't even listening to the Knicks' offers is pure speculation. I've read several articles contradict that notion

ttam68
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
He's under contract. They can do whatever they want. The league is becoming filled with douchebags that think they run ****. They don't.

SteBO
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Melo is not doing everything in his power. He's below his normal numbers.

His PPG, FG%, and 3PT% are all below his career averages.
He's still playing hard for them. It isn't about the numbers.

beasted86
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
He's still playing hard for them. It isn't about the numbers.
I didn't say he wasn't playing hard. I just think he's not doing everything in his power to help them win while he's under contract right now.

I also feel the need to add in.... at least Bosh and LeBron had career years in efficiency showing they did all they could possibly do to help their franchise win.

SteBO
01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Well to me they were probably going to wait until the deadline to move him so they could try to convince him to re-sign so it's a little to early to jump to conclusions. Right now the reports that Denver isn't even listening to the Knicks' offers is pure speculation. I've read several articles contradict that notion
Where have you read that?

bahama0811
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Wait, what? Are you seriously trying to say that the Nuggets are doing something wrong here? This is a business and the Nuggets will do whatever is in their best interest. They have done nothing wrong. They have catered to every need that Melo has ever had. He is holding the organization hostage, what do you expect them to do. They haven't traded him and if/when they do it is their choice to where and for what.

m26555
01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
They're trying to get the best deal possible. Nothing wrong with that.

el_primo_nano
01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
They are being completely fair, its just him that doesn't want to be there anymore. Their hands are tied..

bahama0811
01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
And anyone that says Melo is giving it his all this year obviously hasn't watched much. There have been certain games that he has taken off. And, there was a questionable injury that held him out.

Mudvayne91
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
No way

Rivera
01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
really?? the nuggets should consider melos feelings??? no organization should ever care abt a persons feelings....and no organization should trade a player to where he wants to go unless its a sign and trade where the team has no choice or the team the player wants to go to is givin the best package deal

remember carmelo anthony is UNDER CONTRACT for the denver nuggets.....not the other way around so they dont have to do **** for melo

they were already nice to melo offering him a 3 year 65 mil extension....thats considnering someones feelings and rewarding them for there play

mapko
01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
CP 3 Wants....Melo Wants...........Howard wants...LeQueen wants.............
Well I want a good looking blonde with big ****, but I guess we dont always get what we want.
If Melo & the rest of primadonas want to do what they want to do they can always do what Mickael Jordan did: Buy a team & run it as they please.
In meantime -shut the f..k up & do what the teams PAYS you to do -play ball.
Denver should do ONLY what it suits Denver team & its fans -Maximize the value for Melo. If Melo only wants to go to NY (and NY knows this & lowballs Denver as it should) -Lets play chicken.
Melo, wait out till next year & then sign with NY. In meantime hope:
1. You don't get injured;
2. New CBA isn't more restrictive;
3. NY doesn't realize they can get Chandler & 1 other solid player (Maybe Perkins or Chandler) for what they would pay Melo ($20 plus mil/year).

Flash3
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
whatlittledotheyknow.com l2ms...

SteBO
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Wait, what? Are you seriously trying to say that the Nuggets are doing something wrong here? This is a business and the Nuggets will do whatever is in their best interest. They have done nothing wrong. They have catered to every need that Melo has ever had. He is holding the organization hostage, what do you expect them to do. They haven't traded him and if/when they do it is their choice to where and for what.
I didn't mean it like that. They need to do what they got to do. I was just saying that they haven't even talked to NY from what I've heard. Believe it or not, they have some good pieces. The better deal is obviously in New Jersey, but they're clearly getting frustrated with the amout of time it's taking. Instead of dragging this out, can't they just get rid of him, since he's not iving it his all, according to you. From what I've watched, he's played well, but you know more about Denver than I do, so I guess i'll take your word.

SteBO
01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
And anyone that says Melo is giving it his all this year obviously hasn't watched much. There have been certain games that he has taken off. And, there was a questionable injury that held him out.
What injury was that?

bahama0811
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
What injury was that?

He had "knee inflammation".

SteBO
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
really?? the nuggets should consider melos feelings??? no organization should ever care abt a persons feelings....and no organization should trade a player to where he wants to go unless its a sign and trade where the team has no choice or the team the player wants to go to is givin the best package deal

remember carmelo anthony is UNDER CONTRACT for the denver nuggets.....not the other way around so they dont have to do **** for melo

they were already nice to melo offering him a 3 year 65 mil extension....thats considnering someones feelings and rewarding them for there play
Again. I agree with you. I never meant completely consider his feelings. I've just seen a lot of instances similar to this one, where disgruntled players refuse to play, get into arguments with their on a regular basis, tank the year, etc.... From what I've watched, melo hasn't done that, though that isn't the main point. Don't shoot the messanger, just an opinion.

Bob_at_york
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
As you guys already know, Melo wants out of Denver. It isn't really speculation anymore, since Melo has made it clear that he wants out and only wants New York, won't extend with New Jersey, etc....Denver seems to be trying to do everything in their power not to give him what he wants, despite the fact that Melo is actually helping them to get something for him and that he isn't tanking the year and continues to play hard for the organization. Do you guys think that Denver's trying to spite Melo a bit because he wants out?

I think they should consider Melo's feeling a little more because he's at least out there playing hard and isn't doing anything spiteful, like faking injuries and such.

I think you are totally off. Denver has no responsibility to make Melo happy. Actually the opposite should happen. He should be trying to make the franchise happy. One way you do that: Shut up and play.

John Walls Era
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Heck, I'd be happy if my boss were to think about transferring me within a month and during that time I could mess around and still get paid.

So Nuggets are being MORE than fair.

topdog
01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
What?! Are you saying Melo should get what he wants because he's doing his job? What kind of messed up is that where we're saying "What a swell guy, he's not being a dick about wanting to leave?"

Melo signed the contract and he's obliged to uphold it until it's up. If he wants to go to New York, he can refuse to sign an extension and sign during the offseason. If he wants extra/guaranteed money than he can resign to going wherever Denver finds the best package.

S-Dot
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I think the Nuggets are being fair. They're waiting out their options. They realize Carmelo is leaving but they might as well get these wins and make the most of these TV slots they have with him. They can't simply trade him for nothing.

SteBO
01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I obviously didn't do this thread correctly based on everyone's reaction. Listen, what I meant was, since Melo obviously only wants New York and doesn't want to be part of the Nuggets' future. Why drag this out any longer? Denver screwed up their best chance by bypassing sending Melo to New Jersey before training camp even started. They were naive by thinking they even had a chance at re-signing him, once they came down to the realization that he ain't comin back nxt year, they had a good three team deal in place, and they started shoppin around with teams like Charlotte and Philadelphia, while they were serious with Jersey. Now they're stuck with either New York, or nothing, because I'm not sold on Melo extending with the Nets, which is in fact, the deciding factor in where Melo ends up.

RZZZA
01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Where has Melo said that he "only wants New York"?

SteBO
01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I think the Nuggets are being fair. They're waiting out their options. They realize Carmelo is leaving but they might as well get these wins and make the most of these TV slots they have with him. They can't simply trade him for nothing.
What other options? They're out of options outside NY as far as I'm concerned.

lvlheaded
01-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Denver is being fair. They are allowed to try and find the best available package. In the end though, if Melo tells the team that has the best package he isnt signing there, the Nuggets end up with their nuts in a vice.

SteBO
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Denver is being fair. They are allowed to try and find the best available package. In the end though, if Melo tells the team that has the best package he isnt signing there, the Nuggets end up with their nuts in a vice.

This is kinda what I'm trying to get at.

bahama0811
01-05-2011, 04:36 PM
If anything, Melo is treating the Nuggets like ****. He's holding them hostage.

latinofire21
01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I have read both sides of the arguement for sometime now and I think a couple of points need to be made.

Sorry Denver fans but Carmelo is not holding your organization hostage. This is the biggest fallacy I have read countless times in regards to this whole situation. Denver Front Office had the right to aggressively pursue a contract extension for their franchise player but he refused to sign it because he wants to keep his options open. Denver let the world know what was going on with the extension which is why this is all out right now. Carmelo has said nothing and commented on anything in regards to where he wants to land and its his "sources" that are spilling the rumors.

The same sources that said Lebron was a knick, bull, clipper, net. Same sources that said Bulls were close to signing Dwade in the off season. The sources name is Speculation. We all know this source very well.

The problem with this is the way the front office has handled the situation not Carmelo. Carmelo has kept his mouth shut about this whole thing to save face because he doesnt want the backlash Lebron recieved when he did his primadonna show.

Carmelos feelings dont need to be catered too. He is under contract and he is doing his job and playing ball. Carmelo doesnt need to be traded at all but through all this speculation he has helped Denver more then hurt. The media frenzy is killing Melos offers more then Melo himself. The media frenzy created by Denvers Front Office publically talking about the process in regards to resigning Carmelo Anthony.

My opinion is that the 90s were the best decade of basketball. Everyone had a player and there was more disparity among the league. I am not a fan of super teams but I am not going to make a superstar feel like hes held hostage because the team needs the best offer for him. If I were Melo and I didnt want to go to the team its my right to not sign the extension just like its Denvers right to field offers and try to get a resigning of their franchise palyer before he becomes a free agent.

At this point Denver needs to sit down with Melo and ask him what teams he would sign the extension with and see if there is a deal to be struck. If their isnt they should then search for the best possible package with any team willing to take him on as a potential rental. Other than that there is nothing else left to say.

Bob_at_york
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
you aren't even taking into account the fact that he wants any team he goes to, to receive help in the trade. For example: I heard that he wanted Al Harrington to come over in the deal with him. That does NOT help the Nuggets.

S-Dot
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
What other options? They're out of options outside NY as far as I'm concerned.

So they're playing the waiting game to see if the Knicks will step up our offer. In the meantime, Melo is still under contract for them so they'll wait it out until they have to trade him on the trade deadline.

tbone2171
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I think you answered your own question in your title..Its a business, it's not supposed to be fair.

Bob_at_york
01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
So they're playing the waiting game to see if the Knicks will step up our offer. In the meantime, Melo is still under contract for them so they'll wait it out until they have to trade him on the trade deadline.

Or as unlikely as it could be... what if Denver makes a trade to improve the team? What if they acquire Zach Randolph to play PF or maybe Iggy to play alongside Melo. He could end up changing his mind if the Nuggets make a bold move.

SteBO
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Or as unlikely as it could be... what if Denver makes a trade to improve the team? What if they acquire Zach Randolph to play PF or maybe Iggy to play alongside Melo. He could end up changing his mind if the Nuggets make a bold move.
That means getting rid Kenyon Martin's expiring I presume.

S-Dot
01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

I agree. I thought making a push for AL Jefferson, who was given up for not that much at all to Utah would have a been a strong push for Melo this offseason.

However, I'm not sure if players like Zach Randolph or Iggy can draw Melo away from Amare, Felton, and Madison Square garden at this point.

OC Knights #11
01-05-2011, 05:03 PM
who cares Carmelo Anthony is a whiny little girl...worse than the trio we call the big three down in Flordia.

blueplanet
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Are you ****ing serious? It's the other way around. Melo is being a ****ing douchebag. Denver is not supposed to send him wherever he wants. It's a business and they will try to do what's best for them. If anything Melo is being such a dick now. He is under contract and he wants out. LeBron left as a free agent and the world broke down on his head. This shows that most people carry a ****head on their shoulders. If anything Melo should be hated more than LeBron.

PhillyFaninLA
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Melo has made it darn near impossible to trade him. Every time he says I'll only sign with or I won't resign he hurts the teams ability to get fair compensation back. He is strong arming the team.

Fans have loyalty to the team.

The player has loyalty to themselves and family.

The front office loyalty is to building a winner both today and tomorrow.

The Nuggets don't owe Melo a darn thing, especially with the way he's hurt the teams ability to trade him. If Melo was remotely smart he would have shut up over the summer and would have been traded already.