PDA

View Full Version : David Kahn predicts Darko will be an All-Star

Swashcuff
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/David-Kahn-is-talking-Darko-Milicic-up-again?urn=nba-303455

"I met with Darko today because I hadn't talked to him in awhile, and I think there's just still so much more to come. And I think that we expect it out of him. It's not enough, is what I'm trying to say. We think that Darko can actually get to sort of a near All-Star if not All-Star level. There's not a lot of quality centers in our sport. There's no reason to think that a year from now if Darko were to continue his trajectory upwards, he couldn't be in the mix about a year from now for the All-Star game."

S-Dot
01-05-2011, 11:48 AM
At least he can say he was the first one to call it.

Knicks Fire Dog
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
FAIL!!!!!

Minny has wonderful young talent and is exciting to see, I just think that Kahn is an idiot!

Oefarmy2005
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
He is right though, if you can luck out and make it due to position you play, it would be C. The centers are horrible in the West.

More-Than-Most
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Lmao I want Darko to break out so bad... I really really wish good things on him because of the **** storm he has had to endure.

DerekRE_3
01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Good luck.

asandhu23
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
yeah no

sep11ie
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd take Darko on the Rockets. He'd actually be a good fit.

kurivaimu
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Did he specify a league?
I mean in China, probably. In the NBA - never.

Niro
01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
well there arent really that many good centers in the west

Rivera
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
he actually might make it this year

have u seen the ballot for west centers???

Yao Ming (Rockets) 430,984
Andrew Bynum (Lakers) 198,044
Brendan Haywood (Mavericks) 127,375

i say why not???

xbrackattackx
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Lmao I want Darko to break out so bad... I really really wish good things on him because of the **** storm he has had to endure.

topdog
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
1. If he can have more games of 20, 10 and 3 that would definitely put him up there

2. It's the center position where there's no Dwight in the West and Bynum and Yao are often injured

3. A good way for a GM to use his media coverage is to encourage his players - it might pay some dividends on the court.

tbone2171
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
FAIL!!!!!

Minny has wonderful young talent and is exciting to see, I just think that Kahn is an idiot!

That "idiot" put together that young talented team (sans Love). Besides, he said in a year or so..who knows what will happen then.

jim51990
01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
alot of people saying this haven't seen darko play i think he could get to near all star level at center. if you take out the pf/c in the west there are no good centers at all

Rego247
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
so hes basically saying hes gonna be an allstar by default? lol.

whitemamba33
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
um...ok?

So he'd be an Allstar because there is barely anyone else for him to compete against?

WOW, what an honor.

Swashcuff
01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
um...ok?

So he'd be an Allstar because there is barely anyone else for him to compete against?

WOW, what an honor.

Ever wondered why Wilt could have averaged 50 pts and 25 rebs in more than 48 minutes per game over an entire 82 game season?

thechom80
01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Anyone that has watched him play this year understands what Kahn was saying. Darko has come along way from the joke he once was. If he continues to progress, I too see him in the running for an All-Star spot. Like Kahn said, it definitely helps that he plays center. Hell, the top two centers in the West can't stay healthy or are done for. Who know's, maybe he'll go this year. For those of you still hating on Darko, take time to watch him play this year. Your opinion will change.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
honestly, with the center position so weak in the west with Yao out of the picture, and Bynum never healthy enough to string together a season, it isn't the craziest thing in the world to think Darko can develop into an all star over the next year or two.
I think he is right actually.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
um...ok?

WOW, what an honor.

so? You are only responsible for the competition you face. Not Darko's problem there is nothing out west worth a crap that can stay healthy.

beasted86
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Al Jefferson?

Minny won't be a winning team anytime soon, and the Jazz are.

el_primo_nano
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Kahn needs to relax. Darko is good, but not there yet. I want him to get there though.. He is still young and raw, and wasted countless years on the bench for so many teams

Gibby
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
in a couple years i could see him as an all star but not now.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
everyone did notice Kahn said, "in about a year from now, if he continues his upward trajectory, he has a chance to be near and all star or an all star, because there aren't a lot of centers in today's NBA", right?

Calm down. He isn't saying Darko is an all star right now

tangent12
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Uhhhhh, this is like the 500th time something like this has been said about Darko. Guy's a bust.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

thekmp211
01-05-2011, 03:26 PM
everyone did notice Kahn said, "in about a year from now, if he continues his upward trajectory, he has a chance to be near and all star or an all star, because there aren't a lot of centers in today's NBA", right?

Calm down. He isn't saying Darko is an all star right now

it's not like he has a lot of people to leap-frog. assuming bynum is healthy, he's really the only guy that threatens to put up real all-star numbers at the 5.

darko has shown flashes this year, i'm not sure he'll ever get there but i like what kahn is doing. he want darko to know that the wolves are committed to him, and it seems to mean a lot to darko's somewhat fragile psyche.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
it's not like he has a lot of people to leap-frog. assuming bynum is healthy, he's really the only guy that threatens to put up real all-star numbers at the 5.

darko has shown flashes this year, i'm not sure he'll ever get there but i like what kahn is doing. he want darko to know that the wolves are committed to him, and it seems to mean a lot to darko's somewhat fragile psyche.

that is exactly right. Darko's confidence is about as strong as a piece of china. If he knows his team has supreme confidence in him, he plays better.

I could honestly care less if Darko is ever an all star. But if he can continue to grow, and turn even into a 14-9-3 center, I am all good.

Gideon
01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
As a Knicks fan, I'm pretty pissed off that he didn't try harder when he was here. He admitted to not giving his all and D'Antoni does not use bigs well to begin with, but he would be a perfect fit for what we have now. We missed the boat on that one.

Chronz
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
What upward trajectory ?

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 03:52 PM
What upward trajectory ?

agreed. But Darko is also a player who lacks confidence, so it needs to be instilled by his coachs and GM"s unfortunately. He has played like this before, he isn't any better than he has been at the better points of his career, but the point stands that the west is so bad at the center position, crazier things have happened.

I think this was more about giving him confidence that he is the center for the Wolves in their long term plans, even if that may not be the case down the line

John Walls Era
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't want to just insult Kahn for believing in his fave player. But its near impossible for Darko to make the AS game. I have reasons:

1) Darko's ceiling is not that high. I can't see him ever becoming a 18+ and 10 guy. He'll need stats if he wants to make a case for himself.

2) T'Wolves have some talent, but are not even close to making the playoffs [this year and next year]. I expect them to contend for a 7th or 8th seed in 3-4 years though when the talent matures. Winning = AS consideration (at least more consideration...).

3) Kind of a silly reason, but is still valid: Darko has now become an adj. for players who turned into busts (along with Kwame Brown). Despite his improvements, the many casual fans won't take note of this and will remember him as a bust. So the chance of getting voted in are slim. You know what they say: Always important to make a good first impression.

CityofTreez
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Of course he did!

Giaps
01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
He'll never get voted in by fans so he has to be voted in by coaches. Right now, my 2 choices would be Tyson Chandler and Marc Gasol.

Chronz
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
The Center list isnt so bad that Darko can become a legit candidate, I mean I could understand Nene or Al Jefferson but Darko? Then you got Tyson, Biedrins, the Gasols, even Kaman

ewing
01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
agreed. But Darko is also a player who lacks confidence, so it needs to be instilled by his coachs and GM"s unfortunately. He has played like this before, he isn't any better than he has been at the better points of his career, but the point stands that the west is so bad at the center position, crazier things have happened.

I think this was more about giving him confidence that he is the center for the Wolves in their long term plans, even if that may not be the case down the line

Agreed, people forget that Darko was pretty good in Orlando for a short time as well. Like you said after all these years I dont see his actual game improving very much unless he can start consistently making the jump shot he has been claiming to have for years. On the other hand, Minn is giving every opportunity to untilize the skill set he does have and results breed confidence. I've always liked Darko. if it hasn't come out yet be warned he is bit of a head case. I remember wise *** Dantoni even joking that he was kinda frightened by Darko at times

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I just don't know what to say:speechless:

He must have some man crush on Darko, this is ridicilous:facepalm:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Uhhhhh, this is like the 500th time something like this has been said about Darko. Guy's a bust.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

+1

topdog
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't want to just insult Kahn for believing in his fave player. But its near impossible for Darko to make the AS game. I have reasons:

1) Darko's ceiling is not that high. I can't see him ever becoming a 18+ and 10 guy. He'll need stats if he wants to make a case for himself.

2) T'Wolves have some talent, but are not even close to making the playoffs [this year and next year]. I expect them to contend for a 7th or 8th seed in 3-4 years though when the talent matures. Winning = AS consideration (at least more consideration...).

3) Kind of a silly reason, but is still valid: Darko has now become an adj. for players who turned into busts (along with Kwame Brown). Despite his improvements, the many casual fans won't take note of this and will remember him as a bust. So the chance of getting voted in are slim. You know what they say: Always important to make a good first impression.

I think it's valid to think Darko will probably never average 20 and 10 but he's capable of double-digit points, a decent number of rebounds and then about 3-4 assists and blocks which is pretty impressive for the position.

As for Minny's winning, a lot of key players just came to the team this year and they already are not far off. There have been around 8 games that the Wolves have had a double-digit lead but have lost in the fourth quarter. These include 2 games apiece against the Spurs and OKC and one each against Utah and Boston. If they could make a few more key plays, that's be an 8 game swing and a 17-18 record (just back of Portland in 8th place). I think they can learn to make those plays in the next year.

As for name, Darko will never be the popular choice unless he spreads roots in China. It's a popularity contest and he will never be good enough to overcome the stigma, like you said. Coaches could come to appreciate him though or Darko could use the "snub" as motivation.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Just looked his stats

He was averaging basically the same stats 5 years ago in Orlando:laugh2:

VikingsWin2869
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Just looked his stats

He was averaging basically the same stats 5 years ago in Orlando:laugh2:

Please read before you post, he said he can be an all-star IN A YEAR OR SO. Not this year.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand what Kahn said.

DerekRE_3
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Please read before you post, he said he can be an all-star IN A YEAR OR SO. Not this year.

I understand what he said. Doesn't make him any less wrong or ********.

Chronz
01-05-2011, 05:48 PM

READ HIS POST

Hes basically saying there has been no upward trajectory, he played at this level for the same amount of time during his first stint in Orlando, in fact he had a better offensive year then.

Darko is still young but so are other more talented centers

Infamous916
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
What will Kahn come up with next?

John Walls Era
01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
What will Kahn come up with next?

I kind of hope he campaigns himself for GM of the Year.

Serious though the moves he made this year were pretty solid.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM

I can tell you it will be quicker than 3-4 years for them to contend for the 7-8 seed.

And fans won't ever vote him in, but coach's may if he gets his per game stat line up

John Walls Era
01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I can tell you it will be quicker than 3-4 years for them to contend for the 7-8 seed.

And fans won't ever vote him in, but coach's may if he gets his per game stat line up

I should've changed contend to get.

hgtiger32
01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
i say all of us on PSD vote like crazy for darko so he ends up in the all star game, then PSD could get some publicity at the ASG! hahaha....but seriously, hes not an allstar talent

BkOriginalOne
01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
IN a related post.
David Khan predicted Rubio will be in the skills competition this year.

colinskik
01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
This is a highly ridiculous thing to think/say, Kahn. T-Wolves are bad, so there's no way a player like Darko makes it without Love and BEasley making it as well, and there's no way three Minny players make the all star team. Kahn's quickly becoming one of my least favorite people in the NBA.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2011, 06:56 PM

my point is that he was putting up same numbers 5 years ago, how in the hell he should be a 15 and 10 guy next season or after that.

Can't see it happening....never

READ HIS POST

Hes basically saying there has been no upward trajectory, he played at this level for the same amount of time during his first stint in Orlando, in fact he had a better offensive year then.

Darko is still young but so are other more talented centers

thanks

VikingsWin2869
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
my point is that he was putting up same numbers 5 years ago, how in the hell he should be a 15 and 10 guy next season or after that.

Can't see it happening....never

thanks

Just because he is averaging the same stats doesn't mean he's not improving. Us wolves fans watch him every game and can see his improvement. I don't really care what other fans think about him and I'm not saying he's gunna be an all-star but he easily could if his confidence rises and we give him the ball.

FinsSuperBowl
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
oh and let me guess, Ricky Rubio will be all star next year too? :laugh:

FinsSuperBowl
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
IN a related post.
lol u beat me to it

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
IN a related post.

hahaha

Chronz
01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Just because he is averaging the same stats doesn't mean he's not improving. Us wolves fans watch him every game and can see his improvement. I don't really care what other fans think about him and I'm not saying he's gunna be an all-star but he easily could if his confidence rises and we give him the ball.
Did you see him in Orlando? How can you see his improvement if you dont have a basis for comparison?

If hes averaging worse stats then I dont care what kind of improvement you think your seeing, its not equating to effective performance. He might be a tad better defensively but even then I doubt it because I remember him looking decent in Orlando.

lkingratedr
01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
darko as an all-star hahahaha khan must have smoked that last batch of weed beasley brought from miami with him ... the timberwolves should have kept al jefferson cause as long as he still playing center darko wont make it

DwayneMVPwade
01-05-2011, 11:49 PM
well there arent really that many good centers in the west

This

knicksfan42
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
No way its happening, there may not be many good centers in the west, but Darko is a notch above scrub right now. He's 15th in scoring and 24th in rebounding amongst centers. His stat line this season: 9 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 bpg, 47% FG, and 58% FT. Dudes in his 8th season by the way. He put up similar numbers for Orlando and Memphis. This right here is his ceiling.

topdog
01-06-2011, 12:53 AM
No way its happening, there may not be many good centers in the west, but Darko is a notch above scrub right now. He's 15th in scoring and 24th in rebounding amongst centers. His stat line this season: 9 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 bpg, 47% FG, and 58% FT. Dudes in his 8th season by the way. He put up similar numbers for Orlando and Memphis. This right here is his ceiling.

Oh yeah, but you forgot to mention he is 4th in the league in blocks and was #1 until a string of injuries and shortened games.

Also, for those of you citing a lack of progression, Darko has had his highest scoring game this year.

I love how everyone loves to bash Kahn and how half of you are acting as if he said this year. Fact is, he's put together a pretty decent team that needs to learn to finish (another lost lead at the end of the game tonight).

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I agree, he could emerge next year to that level. It's possible. Hell, he should be in the mix this year with the **** centers in the Western Conference.

Stuckey#3
01-06-2011, 12:55 AM
I think this is a good thing. If a GM shows confidence in a young player... especially one with Darko's personality... it is only going to make him better. A lot of people talk **** about Darko being a bust, but this dude has been shafted since coming in the league. People were calling him the best Center prospect in years... decades, then he goes to Detroit and is pretty much benched for two years without the slightest bit of confidence. He was watching other guys win while being touted as the human victory cigar. Then came Orlando who actually gave him some minutes and promised to re-sign him... they instead blew there wad on Rashard Lewis which probably goes down as one of the worst contracts in league history. Darko finally has somebody to boost his confidence. **** I hope he does become an all star.

MalZee24
01-06-2011, 01:43 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

MalZee24
01-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Maybe not this year, but in the future? Perhaps. You never know.

knicksfan42
01-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Oh yeah, but you forgot to mention he is 4th in the league in blocks and was #1 until a string of injuries and shortened games.

You're right I should have mentioned that.

Also, for those of you citing a lack of progression, Darko has had his highest scoring game this year.

This doesn't prove progression, he had one 25 point game.

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 05:00 AM
You're right I should have mentioned that.

This doesn't prove progression, he had one 25 point game.

Darko has had multiple 20+ point games this season. He has also broken all of his career game highs in every statistical category this season.

Sounds like progression to me.

JiffyMix88
01-06-2011, 05:10 AM
I predict Kahn will overdose on cocaine in the future

01-06-2011, 05:16 AM
I saw this thread and immediately went to look at his stats. :puke:

He is a one time NBA Champion though :laugh:

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 06:07 AM
I saw this thread and immediately went to look at his stats. :puke:

He is a one time NBA Champion though :laugh:

#1 shotblocking Center in the Western Conference :confused:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 07:42 AM

2005-2006 season 2.1 bpg 2.23 fouls per game
2010-2011 season 2.3 bpg 3.35 fouls per game

Which one is more impressive?? you tell me

xabial
01-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Its nice that he's showing confidence in Darko especially after everything he went through and was this close to ending his NBA career embarrassingly and going back to play play in Europe.

With that being Said, David Kahn is the Mark Cuban of GM's.

IHeartNY
01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the laugh.

knicksfan42
01-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Darko has had multiple 20+ point games this season.

Him having multiple 20 point games doesn't matter, because his PPG average is still 9.

He has also broken all of his career game highs in every statistical category this season.

So now its confirmed that you're just making **** up. The only statistical categories he's broken a career high in this season is points (25) and blocks (7).

Though again breaking career highs doesn't mean anything it's his overall average that matters. Though perhaps advanced stats are more important.
He has a career high in one advanced stat category, AST%.

Look at all his advanced stats for this season though:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/milicda01.html

thekmp211
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
^^ well kahn did compare his passing ability to divac and webber LOL. he is a skilled big man passing the ball, though, in all seriousness.

WolvesJagsOs
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
just by lookin at some of your posts some people are clueless. Look at the C's in the west lmao. Darko def has a chance in a couple years if he continues to get better.

knicksfan42
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
just by lookin at some of your posts some people are clueless. Look at the C's in the west lmao. Darko def has a chance in a couple years if he continues to get better.

Doesn't matter cause even in the west Darko isn't a top tier center (and will never be one). What does continue to improve mean, increase his PPG average by a point? Or is it perhaps have a career high in a single advanced stat (AST%), though he is also averaging a career high in TOV% (turnover percentage). Darko has put up similar per game stats in Orlando and Memphis while putting up better advanced stats.

Western Conference Centers more likely to make an All-Star game than Darko (this season and later seasons):

Yao (I know he's injured and his career will likely never make a full recovery, but people are going to vote him in)

Bynum

Jefferson

Kaman

Nene

Okafor

Chandler

Cousins

Marc Gasol

DeAndre Jordan

Dalembert (provided he gets traded of course, he's the Kings back-up center behind Chandler basing this on recently previous performance)

Frye

Brendan Haywood (provided he gets traded of course, he's the Mavs back-up center behind Chandler basing this on recently previous performance)

Hawkeye15
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

4th in blocks as well. Just adding a positive number since you posted so many

knicksfan42
01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
4th in blocks as well. Just adding a positive number since you posted so many

I think topdog posted this a page or two ago.

01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Well thats probably the only thing impressive about him so it shouldn't really equal an All-Star appearance.

whitemamba33
01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
so? You are only responsible for the competition you face. Not Darko's problem there is nothing out west worth a crap that can stay healthy.

I never said it was his "problem". If I was going to start listing "problems" that Darko has, i'd be here all day. He should do what he does and not worry about what anyone has to say.

That being said, if a lack of suitable competition is being named as the major reason why he would make it as an allstar, I can't see the great honor in that. But that's just me.

tr3ymill3r
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I predict David Kahn has gotten a hold of what Beasley was smoking on.

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Him having multiple 20 point games doesn't matter, because his PPG average is still 9.

So now its confirmed that you're just making **** up. The only statistical categories he's broken a career high in this season is points (25) and blocks (7).

Though again breaking career highs doesn't mean anything it's his overall average that matters. Though perhaps advanced stats are more important.
He has a career high in one advanced stat category, AST%.

Look at all his advanced stats for this season though:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/milicda01.html

Multiple 20+ scoring games does matter, it means he's improved. 9 ppg still puts him at #14 NBA scoring for bigs, (#8 in West) and he's had injury issues last 10 games or so. He also leads the NBA in Blocks PER.

Points, field goals made, field goals attempted, defensive rebounds, total rebounds, assists, steals, block are all tied or broken this season. Sounds like some hating on your part. NY could have actually had a serviceable true C. Which is the knicks biggest weak spot. Amare is not a true center, and will find out come playoff time.

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
2005-2006 season 2.1 bpg 2.23 fouls per game
2010-2011 season 2.3 bpg 3.35 fouls per game

Which one is more impressive?? you tell me

Playing behind Dwight Howard, and starting is a big difference. Not to mention that was 5 years ago. Take off your blindfold, Darko is a servicable Center in the league now, get over it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Playing behind Dwight Howard, and starting is a big difference. Not to mention that was 5 years ago. Take off your blindfold, Darko is a servicable Center in the league now, get over it.

I don't want a C who's shooting percentage is in low 40s

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't want a C who's shooting percentage is in low 40s

I'm no mathematician, but 47% is in the high 40s. The season isn't even half way through. He will be shooting well above 50% by the end of the year.

godolphins
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Darko a all star :laugh:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm no mathematician, but 47% is in the high 40s. The season isn't even half way through. He will be shooting well above 50% by the end of the year.

last time I checked it was around .430, I see it a lil better now

But he will be not shooting well over.500
I don't think he even reaches to .500

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 08:27 PM
last time I checked it was around .430, I see it a lil better now

But he will be not shooting well over.500
I don't think he even reaches to .500

Agree to disagree. I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens.

tyfreaks brotha
01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
I am pretty sure whenever he said that, he was drunk.

Hawkeye15
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
you guys realize Darko was shooting like 26% thru the first 15 games or so, right? He will be over 50% by years end.
Look, its not a testament to how good Darko is or can become. Its how bad the position is today. Unfortunately, if you can secure a 14-8-2 center, you are doing great. I think Darko can become that really. I can't STAND the fact that he turns every 2 footer into a 7 footer, or that he whips passes from the hip Andre Johnson couldn't catch. But he is growing more confident, and will become slightly better at his peak

Mplsman
01-06-2011, 08:40 PM
you guys realize Darko was shooting like 26% thru the first 15 games or so, right? He will be over 50% by years end.
Look, its not a testament to how good Darko is or can become. Its how bad the position is today. Unfortunately, if you can secure a 14-8-2 center, you are doing great. I think Darko can become that really. I can't STAND the fact that he turns every 2 footer into a 7 footer, or that he whips passes from the hip Andre Johnson couldn't catch. But he is growing more confident, and will become slightly better at his peak

hahaha nice NFL reference Hawkeye. I agree though.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 08:44 PM

looks to me he's pretty consistently around 45%

SPLIT G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
In January 3 3 23.3 0.714 0.000 0.429 2.3 2.7 5.0 2.3 1.0 1.0 11.0
In October 3 3 22.7 0.235 0.000 0.667 1.0 4.3 5.3 0.7 0.7 3.3 4.7
In November 14 14 27.9 0.446 0.000 0.552 2.4 4.0 6.4 2.4 0.6 2.8 10.0
In December 14 14 21.0 0.483 0.000 0.588 1.8 2.4 4.2 1.4 0.6 1.9 8.7

Hawkeye15
01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
looks to me he's pretty consistently around 45%

SPLIT G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
In January 3 3 23.3 0.714 0.000 0.429 2.3 2.7 5.0 2.3 1.0 1.0 11.0
In October 3 3 22.7 0.235 0.000 0.667 1.0 4.3 5.3 0.7 0.7 3.3 4.7
In November 14 14 27.9 0.446 0.000 0.552 2.4 4.0 6.4 2.4 0.6 2.8 10.0
In December 14 14 21.0 0.483 0.000 0.588 1.8 2.4 4.2 1.4 0.6 1.9 8.7

my bad. I ran it off the top of my head. He shot 33% thru the first 12 games. He then started to make some shots. Point is, he is at 47% now, with a horrendous start.
And really, shouldn't centers be over 50%?? They never shoot outside 7 feet for the most part, unless they are an Okur

knicksfan42
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Multiple 20+ scoring games does matter, it means he's improved. 9 ppg still puts him at #14 NBA scoring for bigs

No it doesn't, his 9 PPG are similar to what he's averaged for Memphis and Orlando, you should look at some advanced stats btw, I hear they're more important than per game ones.

Points, field goals made, field goals attempted, defensive rebounds, total rebounds, assists, steals, block are all tied or broken this season.

LOL career tie for total rebounds and defensive boards, I like that. Only points and blocks have been broken.

Sounds like some hating on your part. NY could have actually had a serviceable true C. Which is the knicks biggest weak spot. Amare is not a true center, and will find out come playoff time.

Yea of all the people I'm trying to hate on Darko, I'm not hating I just find it funny how people can defend the notion that Darko has the capability of becoming an all-star even with a lack of talented centers out west. No we're trying to make the playoffs Darko wouldn't have been serviceable. The C is our weakest spot and we need to make a trade for one, one that's starter quality.

Time to start posting advanced stats (Darko's 2010-11 stats compared to all hi other years):

PER 13.7 (4th highest of his career)

TS% .482 (5th highest)

eFG% .468 (4th highest)

ORB% 9.1 (3 highest)

DRB% 15.4 (lowest)

TRB% 12.1 (7th highest)

AST% 12.3 (highest)

STL% 1.3 (3rd highest)

BLK% 7.3 (2nd highest)

TOV% 18.6 (highest, this is bad)

USG% 20.2 (2nd highest)

ORtg% 94 (5th highest)

DRtg% 107 (3rd highest, the higher the defensive rating the worse the player is defensively)

OWS -0.4 (5th highest)

DWS 0.8 (5th highest)

WS .4 (5th highest)

WS/48 0.022 (5th highest)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
my bad. I ran it off the top of my head. He shot 33% thru the first 12 games. He then started to make some shots. Point is, he is at 47% now, with a horrendous start.
And really, shouldn't centers be over 50%?? They never shoot outside 7 feet for the most part, unless they are an Okur

He could reach 50% if he keeps it up

Maybe the thing is that he's in Minnesota, put him to the lakers or other good team and he would shoot over 50% I believe.

Same thing was with gasol actually

Hawkeye15
01-06-2011, 09:00 PM
He could reach 50% if he keeps it up

Maybe the thing is that he's in Minnesota, put him to the lakers or other good team and he would shoot over 50% I believe.

Same thing was with gasol actually

well, the Wolves PG play is horrendous. Imagine how much better Love and Milicic's percentages would be if we had a PG (cough, Rubio!) who could give them 2-3 wide open gimmes a game under the rim.
Thanks dude, now I am riled up!

FarOutIos
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Given the difficulty in finding centers, he may actually make it one day to an all-star game. But he would have to have a great statistical game, as he will have to be placed by the coaching staff, and not voted in. Doubt he gets enough votes ever.

I will say, however, as a kings fan, that Cousins ranks fairly well among centers in the stats in the West. I was a bit surprised that he ranked as good considering the rough start.

GeekInThePink
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
And really, shouldn't centers be over 50%?? They never shoot outside 7 feet for the most part, unless they are an Okur,Dirk or Bargnani

fixed :P

drobe86
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
If this is true.... David Kahn is an idiot

Chronz
01-07-2011, 12:00 AM

You epitomize the people you mock, look at the C's in the West. Darko is not even close to them