PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers: Michael Beasley Could Lead NBA in Scoring

D Roses Bulls
01-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Last night, Rivers didn’t have to worry about Beasley torching his defense too much, but he says that could all change in the very near future. From the Star Tribune: “Offensively, I’ve been a big believer in him,’ Rivers said before his Celtics beat the Timberwolves 96-93 on Monday night. ‘I just think he can score. I said it two years ago: I think one day he may lead the league in scoring. He just knows how to score the ball. He has a Carmelo ability to score the ball.’ Beasley scored 19 points, playing only 23 minutes because of foul trouble. ‘He’s a matchup problem every night,’ Rivers said. ‘He’s tough for 3s [small forwards] to guard because of his size. He’s too quick for 4s [power forwards]. And he can shoot. Obviously that’s the key. He has quickness and a shot at that size. That makes him tough to guard.’”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/01/doc-rivers-michael-beasley-could-lead-nba-in-scoring/

tangent12
01-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Doc showing his age and the delusions that come with it.

Poor guy is losing it.

PC
01-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Not with Durant still in the league...

But Beasley is definitely having a pretty season thus far

D Roses Bulls
01-05-2011, 02:31 AM
doc showing his age and the delusions that come with it.

Poor guy is losing it.

:d

tangent12
01-05-2011, 02:32 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

DetroitRipCity
01-05-2011, 02:35 AM
I think Doc Rivers has been smokin with Beasley

THINKBLUE15
01-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Sweet story Doc.

Lakersfan2483
01-05-2011, 02:41 AM
He's not good enough on the offensive end to lead the league in scoring for an entire season. I understand what Doc is saying, but he's wrong about Beasley. He's a talented player, but not that gifted on the offensive end (speaking of him leading the league in scoring).

iFYouSeekAmy
01-05-2011, 02:42 AM
i think doc rivers has been smokin with beasley

+1.

giants73756
01-05-2011, 02:47 AM
I have the same chance of leading the NBA in scoring as Beasley.

B.JenningsMVP
01-05-2011, 02:51 AM
To lead??? nooo... Top 5, yes

_KB24_
Leading the league may be a little of reach. I doubt he can eclipse 25 ppg in a season.

AWC713
" think ONE DAY he may lead the league in scoring"

he's not that crazy.

He's averaging 22 points a game. He's 21 years old.

That's not that far of a stretch to say, especially with James being paired with Wade and Bosh, Durant having Westbrook with Green and co, and Kobe on the down slope of his (at least) scoring career.

Beas is the number one option on that team, and the addition of Rubio will only help him. And Love may be out after next year.

So, he's not THAT crazy. And Beas was the number 2 overall pick, clearly he has some talent when hes not hittin dda gonja.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 02:57 AM
could he average 27 ppg someday? Yep. Will he do it with elite efficiency? I doubt it.

Chi StateOfMind
01-05-2011, 03:00 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/01/doc-rivers-michael-beasley-could-lead-nba-in-scoring/

:facepalm:

baghdadbob
01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Beasley can play. He keeps his head straight, oh yeah he has that type of talent. Doc is right, you can't really match him in man.

meloman1592
01-05-2011, 03:12 AM
he plays a little like melo, he might even be..........nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

John Walls Era
01-05-2011, 03:14 AM
He could... but he won't. Lets be real here: Beasley can score a bit in different ways, but he can't ever avg. 30 pts without taking 35 shots a night.

SwaggaIke
01-05-2011, 03:16 AM
I wonder how many people realize how well this kid is shooting the ball. He doesn't even have a full understanding of the game & he isn't the greatest slasher. Yet he's scoring the ball at an efficiency that rivals some of the best wings in the game. 48% from the field & 44% from 3 is nothing to sneeze at. Mike will score a lot of points in this league & him being a future scoring champ AND DOING IT EFFICIENTLY is not beyond the realm of possibility. Most of you act as if Doc said he'll be DPOY.

tangent12
01-05-2011, 03:38 AM
I have the same chance of leading the NBA in scoring as Beasley.

:laugh2:

AIRMAR72
01-05-2011, 05:17 AM
i agree with coach rivers HE WILL LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING when his time comes beasly is a pure natural scorer is form on his J still the same from his HS days he can post he can beat his man of da drbble since he has long stride with his first step he has big soft hands he always finish in da paint i rate him over melo and durant as forwards he just need to mature give him sometime da league will see

BrahCake954
01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
He could... but he won't. Lets be real here: Beasley can score a bit in different ways, but he can't ever avg. 30 pts without taking 35 shots a night.

sounds like kobe to me..

and if he said this about john wall ud probably jerk off.

dwade has said the same about beasley.. hes 21 and has tons of potential.. hes very capable..

S-Dot
01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Both he and Dorrell Wright have been looking much better since they left Miami. I think Beasley could definitely lead the league in scoring, but he has to make sure his production leads to wins. Either way, I'm happy to see him doing well nowadays.

DitchDat
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
If he has the green light, with no other options on offense besides Kevin Love? Sure he could average up to 28 ppg

Will it result in wins for his team? probably not.

Piizrich
01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't understand why ppl are laughing and thinking Doc is crazy?
He's absolutely right. But you are so coloured by your own egos that you can't see it. Hmm a championship coach with a lot of experience against a forum fan? Wonder who's right and know a talent when he see's one????

Russollini
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Beas is a great player, and as a Heat Fan, I wish he was able to do it here in Miami. I love our summer hall, and we are playing great now in spite of our coach (still think he is crap, but that is for another post). Had that coach played Beas and Wright right we could have had some cheap home grown talent to compliment one or two of the big 3. It would have been nice to see, but it will never and rarely ever in the history of the franchise, will happen. Spo did an AWFUL job in developing the young talent. Beas showed promise in Miami, but never got to Showcase it. I hope he goes on to be a stud for the next 15 years. HE WAS AND IS STILL ONLY A KID!

beasted86
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Beasley's next step to become a true all-star caliber player is getting opponents in foul trouble. Getting to the foul line only twice a game isn't enough.

That's really what separates the Rudy Gay tier players from the Carmelo and Durants of the league.

tbone2171
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
" think ONE DAY he may lead the league in scoring"

he's not that crazy.

He's averaging 22 points a game. He's 21 years old.

That's not that far of a stretch to say, especially with James being paired with Wade and Bosh, Durant having Westbrook with Green and co, and Kobe on the down slope of his (at least) scoring career.

Beas is the number one option on that team, and the addition of Rubio will only help him. And Love may be out after next year.

So, he's not THAT crazy. And Beas was the number 2 overall pick, clearly he has some talent when hes not hittin dda gonja.

Where did you hear that??

balla4life22
01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't understand why ppl are laughing and thinking Doc is crazy?
He's absolutely right. But you are so coloured by your own egos that you can't see it. Hmm a championship coach with a lot of experience against a forum fan? Wonder who's right and know a talent when he see's one????

completely agree with this haha I love how some people in this forum think they know more than some pros. It's not like we're talking about an espn analyst here or something.

redsox0717
01-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Yawn. If you ever hear Doc do interviews, he ALWAYS over-praises opposing teams and players. Even if a team is horrible, he says that they are athletic and they can take advantage of an old team like the Celtics. He does this so he doesn't portray an aura of complacency of a team. Take his hyperbolic praise with a grain of salt, because he literally does it to every team/player before each game.

Durant is hype
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I wonder how many people realize how well this kid is shooting the ball. He doesn't even have a full understanding of the game & he isn't the greatest slasher. Yet he's scoring the ball at an efficiency that rivals some of the best wings in the game. 48% from the field & 44% from 3 is nothing to sneeze at. Mike will score a lot of points in this league & him being a future scoring champ AND DOING IT EFFICIENTLY is not beyond the realm of possibility. Most of you act as if Doc said he'll be DPOY.

His PER is 17.6. Mike still has lots of work to do before he reaches elite efficiently.Although the future certainly does look bright for B-Easy.

xbrackattackx
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
If he keeps improving I could see that. He just needs to shoot less and make more.

SwaggaIke
01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
His PER is 17.6. Mike still has lots of work to do before he reaches elite efficiently.Although the future certainly does look bright for B-Easy.

I never said ELITE efficiencey. And with all due respect to you sir, I don't give a damn about PER. Honestly I'll take the opinion of Doc River & Pat Riley over any forum dweller (including myself). Both have gone on record as saying Beasley has the look of a future scoring champ. Hell Paul Pierce even tooted the dudes horn after the face-off & I doubt he'd give his own mother credit for going through the birthing process.

Piizrich
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I never said ELITE efficiencey. And with all due respect to you sir, I don't give a damn about PER. Honestly I'll take the opinion of Doc River & Pat Riley over any forum dweller (including myself). Both have gone on record as saying Beasley has the look of a future scoring champ. Hell Paul Pierce even tooted the dudes horn after the face-off & I doubt he'd give his own mother credit for going through the birthing process.

Well spoken!! +1

JayAllDay
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
... and Hasheem Thabeet could lead the NBA in blocked shots and Joe Alexander could have been the next Tom Chambers

hurdy durdy dur

J_M_B
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
He certainly can. Michael can score from almost any area on the floor.. He can use either hand to get to the basket, consistent 16-19 foot jumper, has improved his shooting from behind the arc, etc. Beasley's a dominate offensive player

Hawkeye15
01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
like I said on page 1, can Beasley average 27 a night, and contend for a scoring title down the line? You betcha. Will he do it with LeBron or Durant efficiency? Nope. Will he do it with Melo efficiency? Getting closer...

marlinsfan24
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
like I said on page 1, can Beasley average 27 a night, and contend for a scoring title down the line? You betcha. Will he do it with LeBron or Durant efficiency? Nope. Will he do it with Melo efficiency? Getting closer...

This!

td0tsfinest
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Doc Rivers had some nice stuff to say about Derozan the other day. Now I'm rethinking it.

Beasley is definitely a talented offensive player but scoring title, I just don't see it.

HoopsDrive
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I think Doc Rivers has been smokin with Beasley

:laugh2:

But on a serious note, he has the potential to be in contention for the scoring title. I wouldn't bet on him winning one in his career but potential-wise, he could do it.

SwaggaIke
01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
... and Hasheem Thabeet could lead the NBA in blocked shots and Joe Alexander could have been the next Tom Chambers

hurdy durdy dur

Neither of these things had or have the potential of happening. But I do believe you have the potential to come up w/ an insightful post in this thread.

@Hawkeye, if everyone could score w/ LeBron like efficiency...there would be no need for the term "LeBron like efficiency".

AddiX
01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Scoring titles and stats don't mean a thing when your team sucks.

Nate Robinson could average 20 if he played he got the minutes and played for a horrible team, but it doesn't mean a thing.

pistonsfanomg
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Beasley

NASTY

lkingratedr
01-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Not with Durant still in the league...

But Beasley is definitely having a pretty season thus far

i second third and forth this message