PDA

View Full Version : The Official Carmelo Anthony Thread

Sports Illustrator
09-27-2006, 08:39 PM
In here you can post anything you'd like about Carmelo Anthony whether it's about his commercials, how well he's done in a certain game, his biggest rivals, companies that sponsor him, any latest news on him, any injury reports on him and etc.

Sports Illustrator
10-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Although Carmelo Anthony acknowledged he has not fully recovered from playing in the world championships in Japan a month ago, the fourth-year pro doesn't plan on taking much time off from Nuggets training camp.

Anthony told reporters Monday at the Nuggets' media day that he will go as hard as he can until coach George Karl tells him to stop.

"I've gotten a little rest," Anthony said. "I'm not in 82-game shape right now. But I'm going to get there. When the ball goes up, I'm not the type to sit on the sidelines and watch everybody run up and down the court."

Karl is concerned about Anthony "not having enough in his tank" for the regular season. To help his star forward regain his energy, Karl plans shorter practices rather than giving him days off.

"Physiologically, Carmelo is a young player who needs to be on the court on a daily basis," Karl said.

Anthony has missed only nine regular-season games in three seasons.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4433898

Let's hope that he could get fully recovered by the time that the regular season starts and hopefully he could use pre-season aspractice time and recovery to come back and be able to dominate as strongly as possible.

DenButsu
10-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Melo fans may want to watch the Broncos play the Ravens on Monday night (from the Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5053270,00.html)):

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, who grew up in Baltimore, is expected to be interviewed during the broadcast.

REAL Denver sports fans will be following the game anyways... :smoking:

...but I just thought I'd give you the heads up just in case.

DenButsu
10-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Sorry, nuttin to say, just testing out my new signature. ;)

DenButsu
10-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Melo, flanked by LeBron and D-Wade, is front and center on the latest cover of Sport Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/2006/1025.html). The lede is here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/preview/siexclusive/2006/pr/subs/siexclusive/10/16/nba.now1023/?url=http%253A%252F%252Fpremium.si.cnn.com%252Fpr% 252Fsubs2%252Fsiexclusive%252F2006%252Fpr%252Fsubs %252Fsiexclusive%252F10%252F16%252Fnba.now1023%252 F), with an additional photo.

The Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5074642,00.html) also has a brief article on this.

Good to see him getting his props... Now let's see him step up and own 'em! :clap:

Sports Illustrator
10-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Carmelo Anthony's stardom didn't come without a fall or two

By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
October 27, 2006
Carmelo Anthony stepped out of the Blackjack Pizza shop and walked to his car without a steaming hot pie.
Instead of a box, he carried a bag of raw ingredients sold by starstruck store employees eager to fulfill an unusual request from a celebrity athlete.

Once back in his kitchen, Anthony went to work kneading the dough, spreading the sauce and cheese and distributing slices of pepperoni before sliding the pizza in the oven.

"He came home and made the whole pizza from scratch," said Anthony’s fiancee, LaLa Vazquez. "He likes to be hands-on."

Indeed, Anthony is perfectly content these days diving into life’s simple pleasures: cooking, laughing, watching The Wire — it’s an HBO drama based on his hometown of Baltimore — and chillin’ with Vazquez, an MTV personality who is due in March with their first child.

Anthony is equally at ease on the basketball court as he prepares to begin his fourth season as the leading scorer and attendance magnet for the Denver Nuggets.

Gone are negative headlines that dominated his personal Dark Age of two years ago.

He instead graces the cover of Sports Illustrated alongside fellow 2003 NBA draft mates LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Gone are the misconceptions of Anthony as a gangster, a thug, a pot head and a poster boy for the self-absorbed pro athlete.

He is a national team co-captain gaining respect for his strong work ethic and improving all-around game.

Gone are the whispers of Anthony’s declining worth to corporate America.

He remains a leading pitchman for the Nike Jumpman line created by Michael Jordan and is branching out into movies, music, sports drinks and cell-phone services.

Just 22 months after hitting bottom — slouched on his sofa, tears trickling down his face — Anthony has resurrected his image and re-established himself as one of the most talented, marketable and business-savvy athletes of his generation.

"He’s matured quickly," said Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim, who reunited with his former star player as an assistant for USA Basketball this summer.

"Maybe some of the things he had to go through helped him — the adversity and the mistakes. Maybe that had a maturing effect on him. He’s still young, but I think some of the decisions he makes now ... show a lot of maturity. That’s great to see."

Began on Baltimore streets

Growing Up Melo dates to his upbringing in the rough streets of Baltimore, where survival instincts were standard issue and sports represented the road to salvation.

Growing Up Melo traces an uneven path of remarkable success followed by a swift and unforeseen crash back to Earth.

Growing Up Melo soon will include fatherhood and marriage, and if all goes according to plan, further validation as one of the top performers in the NBA.

"He’s back, man," says Tyler Smith, a junior guard at Colorado State who happens to be one of Anthony’s closest friends. "He’s stress-free right now. He’s just doing what he’s supposed to do. His time is coming."

The Nuggets feel the same way, and they have the W-2 forms to prove it.

Not only does Anthony enter the season carrying a renewed swagger and focus, but the 22-year-old forward enjoys the financial security of a five-year, $80 million contract extension that will take effect in 2007-08.

"It don’t even feel real right now," said Anthony, sitting on a leather sofa three months after signing his new deal. "It hasn’t even sunk in yet."

In perhaps another sign of maturation, Anthony did not let the windfall suppress his ambition.

After a monster 2005-06 season in which he averaged a career-high 26.5 points, he spent countless hours preparing for Team USA’s summer training camp.

Of the 23 players invited to camp under USA Basketball’s restructured men’s program, only 12 would represent America at the World Championship in August in Japan.

It was the perfect opportunity for Anthony to exorcise the demons of 2004, when he struggled to adapt to the unfamiliar role of a bench player under U.S. coach Larry Brown.

‘On a mission’

"You hear a bunch of other things, so I didn’t know what to expect," said first- year Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke. "I knew he was very talented, but what I found him to be is just a great guy. He was really easy to coach.

"He started out the practices like he was on a mission, because he was ready. He really set the standard for our team ..."

Anthony’s work ethic not only earned him a spot on the team, but Krzyzewski named him as one of three team captains, along with James and Wade.

Though Team USA could not improve upon its bronze medal of the 2004 Olympics, Anthony emerged as a pleasant surprise after averaging a team-leading 19.9 points.

This version of Anthony was the one most familiar to those who know him best, and it helped restore his once-battered reputation.

"My favorite moment is seeing him get through everything that was happening and playing like he did last year," said Dontaye Draper, another Baltimore native who has known Anthony since high school.

"I really was proud of him with everything he went through. People talking about how he’s a thug, he’s this and that. Every person has adversity. He went through it and grew from it."

The ‘drama stuff’

It is impossible to appreciate Anthony’s rise from the Valley of Disrepute without knowing the background of his descent.
"You mean the drama stuff?" Vazquez says with a lighthearted tone.

Yes, the drama stuff.

Shortly after returning from the Olympics in Greece, Anthony made what appeared to be a routine visit to his former neighborhood in west Baltimore.

Four months later, brief portions of his trip were captured on an underground DVD that glamorized drug dealers and threatened to kill informants who cooperate with police.

Anthony, a silent bystander in the film, later explained that he did not condone the contents of the DVD and said he was unaware it would be made public.

The infamous cameo might have been dismissed as a momentary lapse in judgment if not for a series of missteps preceding the DVD’s November 2004 release.

Upset and confused about his lack of playing time at the Olympics, Anthony was chastised by the old-school-coach Brown in August and cast as a self-absorbed player by the international media.

His image was blemished further with his involvement in a fight at a New York nightclub while coming to Vazquez’s defense. Three men later tried to extort $3 million from Anthony in exchange for surveillance video of the scuffle.

On Oct. 15, 2004, Anthony was cited for possessing less than 1 ounce of marijuana — a petty offense — after a security officer at Denver International Airport found a small plastic bag with the drug in his backpack.

Throw in nagging ankle injuries, a 17- 25 record and two coaching changes midway through the 2004-05 season, and Anthony found himself suffering through the worst six months of his life.

"I used to go home after games and after practices not wanting to talk to nobody, not wanting to be around nobody," said Anthony, adding that he tuned out phone messages from friends and family members telling him that things would get better.

"I broke down one night," he said. "I was like, ‘I can’t take this no more.’ People kept telling me, ‘You’re going to get through it. Don’t worry about it.’ At that time, you don’t want to hear that. You don’t be wanting to hear nothing."

No easy way out

At that point, Anthony could have kept his head down and sulked his way through the rest of the season.

That would have been the easy way out.

If there’s one thing you need to know about Carmelo Anthony, it is this: He was not brought up to take the easy way out.

Mary Anthony, a deeply religious single mother, emphasized basic values as she raised her four children. She taught her three sons and one daughter to respect others and value education in all its forms, be it in the classroom or through life lessons.

Fall 2004 certainly qualified as a life lesson, and Anthony has emerged wiser because of the experience.

"Just seeing him happy and bounce back to laughter, it’s like, ‘Wow! Old times again,’" Mary Anthony said. "It’s back to Carmelo laughing and enjoying and cracking jokes.

"He’s grown into maturity very well. I knew that he would come through it, because that’s the person he is. I couldn’t be prouder of him for allowing that to bring the best out of him.

"It’s not that he’s trying to prove anything to the public. He’s just proving to himself that, ‘I’m not that person. I’m not that guy. I’m above that, I’m beyond that.’"

So just who is Carmelo Anthony?

He is Culinary Carmelo (kitchen utensils sold separately), Businessman Melo, Community Service Carmelo, Father- to-Be Melo, Jokester Carmelo and Loyal-till-Death Melo.

The assorted personality traits, revealed to the public in varying degree, help paint a picture of a sometimes misunderstood NBA star.

How did he develop those traits? That’s another story altogether.

lopezaa@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-892-5388

About the series
Beginning today, Rocky Mountain News reporters Aaron J. Lopez and Jamie Paton, photographer Evan Semon and videographer Sonya Doctorian will chronicle the story of how Carmelo Anthony, has grown up right before our eyes.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5099086,00.html

roasthawg
10-28-2006, 12:49 AM
just wanted to get my 2cents in real quick...melo is my darkhorse to lead the league in scoring this yr. the guy has REALLY improved his game in the last couple yrs, he's so good in the clutch and he's improved his outside shot a lot. i'm thinking more 3's this yr which will make him completely unguardable...over 30 ppg.

Sports Illustrator
10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
High-level play for USA puts Anthony back on pedestal
By Marc J. Spears,
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:10/29/2006 01:01:18 AM MST

Los Angeles - It's good to be Carmelo Anthony.

Entering his fourth season with the Nuggets, the forward is back on the same pedestal with NBA stars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade after starring for USA Basketball. The 2006 all-NBA third-team selection scored at will in the Nuggets' new offense in the preseason. Many are predicting his first all-star appearance this season. And the 22-year-old is excited about becoming a father.

With the NBA regular season starting this week, Anthony sat down with The Denver Post to talk about the past, present and future, on and off the court. Following are excerpts:

Marc J. Spears: You're on the cover of Sports Illustrated with James and Wade. How does it feel to be back on the same level with your fellow 2003 NBA draft stars? Did it pain you to have fallen off?

Carmelo Anthony: One thing, I never lost my confidence. I always knew that I could play. There was just public perception of what other people thought. It's a good feeling. To people to mention the top players and mention my name, it's a good feeling.

MS: Were you surprised that you got on the same footing with James and Wade so quickly due to your play with USA Basketball at the world championships?

CA: It was just my determination and a lot of hard work that I put into it. It's what I wanted to do.

MS: How do you transfer your stellar USA play over to the Nuggets?

CA: The same way. I bring my confidence here. Hopefully, everyone else will pick up on it.

MS: How do you look back on being snubbed being an NBA all-star in Houston last season?

CA: I watched the game. It probably motivated me. I could have easily talked bad about it. I could have easily said everything in the book about why I should have been there. I didn't really want to do that. I let the fans see it, and they recognize it. I use it as motivation. I was just chilling. I was in Vegas.

MS: It seemed like you held in your feelings about it. Is that true?

CA: I was disappointed. At the same time, it was done. There was nothing more that I can do.

MS: Now the expectations are that you will be an all-star, right?

CA: Oh, yeah, I've had that for the last three years. So, hopefully this is the year. I got to jump-start it. I hope to be there.

MS: Your fiancée, LaLa Vasquez, is pregnant. What can you say about your pending fatherhood?

CA: It's going to change a lot of things. I'm happy. I'm prepared for it right now. I know it's going to change my life a lot. It will make me look at things differently.

MS: Are you nervous?

CA: I'm more excited than nervous.

MS: Even though you played well for Team USA last summer, do you feel like you still have something to prove?

CA: I always have something to prove. That's just me. All of us have something to prove.

MS: What do you need to prove?

CA: There are still some doubters out there. There is always going to be that. That's what makes the world go 'round.

MS: Now that you have a five-year, $80 million contract extension in hand, is there added pressure on you?

CA: No. Money will never change anything. Don't get me wrong, I think I deserve what I got. But I play the game because I love the game. I like to play this game. I'd never go out there to play for the money.

MS: What made you go across the street from the Pepsi Center to Metro State to play basketball soon after you signed the contract?

CA: I wanted to hoop. I signed and they were holding up the games for me.

MS: When you signed the extension, did you have any flashbacks of how tough life was for you as a kid in Baltimore?

CA: Oh, yeah. It was like a blessing. I just sat there and thought to myself, "Man, I never thought I would be in this situation."

MS: What are the pros and cons of being Carmelo Anthony?

CA: I can't complain. That's all I can say, I can't complain. In life you go through some things good and bad. But sometimes what you go through makes you who you are. So I can't complain.

MS: What's the best part of being you?

CA: The best part? Going through (hardships) I went through. All the adversity I went through. It made me a better person.

MS: A man who pleaded guilty to a charge involving an attempt to blackmail you for millions of dollars in 2004 was sentenced Thursday to 18 months to three years in prison. What did you think about that and what he tried to do to you?

CA: That was crazy. But I guess they got what they deserved. God don't like ugly.

MS: How odd was that situation?

CA: That just shows you that people will do anything for a piece of change. But I never had a doubt in my mind that they weren't going to get anything.

MS: After Kenyon Martin was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team for three games in the playoffs, are you surprised he is still here? And now that he is healthy, are you glad he is still here?

CA: I didn't know what really was going to happen, to be honest with you. There was so much talk about them trading him and things like that. But I didn't know what was going to happen. I'm glad he has his knees back and he's healthy. We're ready to rock this year.

MS: You had Jeff Bzdelik and Michael Cooper as coaches as well as George Karl in Denver. Talk about Karl getting a contract extension through the 2009-10 season, the stability it brings and how you co-exist.

CA: Knowing that he is going to be here, we have no choice but for all of us to be on the same page. He ain't going nowhere unless he just gives up. We had three coaches in four months. It's hard to adjust to different personalities. But for him to be here, everybody will be on the same page.

MS: Can you explain the Nuggets' new offense?

CA: The way we are trying to run and what we are trying to do is speed the game up, get out in the open court.

MS: Did it seem like you couldn't breathe in the offense last year?

CA: That's the biggest thing, space. When you have space, it opens it up for a lot of things to create for myself and for others, too.

MS: Now that you're getting a little older, have you thought much about what you want your legacy to be on and off the court?

CA: You start thinking about where you want to be and what you want to do. I just want to be an ambassador of the game on the court and off the court.

MS: In what fashion do you want to be an ambassador off the court?

CA: I want to change it up a little bit. Just maximize my opportunities. Use basketball to cure other things off the court.

MS: Do you get out much in Denver any more?

CA: Sometimes. It's harder.

MS: What's the difference from when you were a rookie in Denver to now being out in the town?

CA: It depends on where I go. If I go to the supermarket or something like that, I have to go late at night or early in the morning. If you don't do that, people won't let you shop. Sometimes it gets overwhelming. But I deal with it.

MS: Your Lakewood mansion is up for sale. Are you looking into getting your third Denver-area home?

CA: I don't know. I haven't even thought that far. I'm just trying to get rid of my place now. I've seen a couple (homes), but nothing right now. I'm going to put it on hold unless someone comes in and buys mine.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4569220

Sports Illustrator
10-29-2006, 10:16 PM
By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mounatin News
October 28, 2006
BALTIMORE — As twilight settles over the city, a young boy works on his basketball skills while walking down the middle of a quiet residential street.
Crossover dribble. Between the legs. Spin. Jump shot.

The sound of the ball hitting the pavement is distinct, and the echoes reverberate back more than 10 years.

This used to be Carmelo Anthony.

He was a street kid, but not that kind of street kid. Sports served as an important diversion from the violence and drug dealing that were pervasive in the housing projects a few blocks from his home.

If Anthony and his friends Kenny Minor and Tyler Smith could not sneak into a gym, they would find a wooden crate to head to the nearest utility pole.

"Take the crate, get yourself a hammer, get yourself the wood, make yourself a basket," Minor said. "We put it low enough so we could dunk, so we could show off like we were in the NBA already."

When they needed a break from basketball, the boys tossed a football around in the street or suited up on Pop Warner teams. Baseball also was an option, and soccer was a last resort.

"Everything was around sports because we didn’t want to get into the street life," Smith said. "That’s the alternative. You only got two things: street life or sports."

This is where the Maturation of Melo began — in the streets of west Baltimore, Anthony’s adopted hometown, after his family moved from Brooklyn, N.Y., when he was 8 years old.

It is where Anthony honed not only his athletic skills, but his survival skills.

"Every day I had to look over my shoulder not knowing what to expect the next day or the day after."

It is where he learned the basics of business, using a Squeegee to earn enough pocket change to pay for entry into the Shake & Bake skating rink on Saturday nights.

"I thought I was the man with $30 a day."

It is where he formed his deepest loyalties and learned how to bounce back from his mistakes.

"If you ain’t got no loyalty, then you ain’t got no trust."

It is where he drew inspiration for the Nike "B-More" commercial that he filmed while asserting himself as the 22-year-old centerpiece of the Denver Nuggets.

"I want to be the voice of Baltimore."

That voice is growing in strength, not only in Baltimore, but nationwide.

Living inside ‘The Wire’

Hollywood certainly takes liberties when basing its television dramas on real-life activity.

In the case of HBO’s drama The Wire, the script does not stray far from reality as it depicts street life in Baltimore. Turf wars, street hustling, homicide and drug trafficking dominate the plotlines.

"That’s real right there," Anthony said. "They’re a little bit more in depth, but that goes on every day."

Long before Anthony started using TiVo to keep up with his favorite show, he and his friends were the leading characters in their own reality series.

"From drugs to killings to anything you can name that goes on in the roughest parts of town, we’ve seen and witnessed hands on," Minor said. "Those are the things that teach you toughness and keep you mentally focused on your goals.

"When you’ve got that mind-set that you want to get away from those things, that’s when you learn your lesson and you mature from the things that you’ve seen."

Considering their environment and the proximity to Baltimore’s housing projects, how easy would it have been for the boys simply to be dragged into the abyss without ever fulfilling their potential?

"Easy enough for me to just kick this wall," said Vincent Breckenridge, emphasizing his point with a karate-style kick of his foot. "Boom! That easy. That easy."

Breckenridge, who runs the Team Melo AAU basketball program, and Robert "Bay" Frazier, now one of Anthony’s personal managers, were among those who served as mentors to Anthony, whose father died of liver cancer when Anthony was 2 years old.

The team of guardian angels also included two brothers, Wilford Anthony Jr. and Robert "Justice" Anthony, and sister Michelle. Each was at least 10 years older then their baby brother Carmelo.

"Anything involved with the streets, we weren’t going to allow to go down," Justice Anthony said.

Unlikely guidance came from drug dealers who patrolled the neighborhood while driving fancy cars and wearing flashy jewelry. The dealers often steered Anthony and his friends away from their trade in a display of compassion that contradicted the landscape.

"Even people who (are) probably selling the most drugs in America, they wouldn’t let me go that route," Anthony said. "I guess they saw something in me."

But it was Mary Anthony who served as the leading influence.

Miss Mary, as she is popularly known, supported her four children by driving a school bus and working a $9.85-per-hour job as a housekeeper at the University of Baltimore.

Mary Anthony, a devout Christian, stressed education and respect for others. What she could not control, she asked for help from above.

"It was tough, but it was something I had to do," she said. "By the grace of God, I made it through. I just did what came natural."

Not yet four months removed from signing a five-year, $80 million contract extension, Anthony gives his mom credit for the person he is today.

"I take my hat off to her," he said. "There’s nothing I can do in my lifetime to pay her back."

Early business lessons

Guided by the firm hand of his mother and the protective instincts of his many mentors, including older brothers Wilford Anthony Jr. and Robert Anthony, young Carmelo stayed out of trouble and thrived as an athlete.

He was raising eyebrows on the basketball court before he was 10, and he later played on an AAU team coached by Frazier, who often let Anthony hang out at his house when there wasn’t much else to do.

"I couldn’t get rid of him," Frazier said, jokingly. "He never really wanted anything. I used to give him my old clothes. If I had extra money, I’d give him some money to buy clothes and sneakers."

Anthony, whose three siblings all were at least 10 years older than him, discovered his own ways to make a few bucks, some more lucrative than others.

He, Smith and Minor remember toiling for a man they knew only as "Mutto," a Baltimore basketball legend who attended famed Dunbar High School.

The boys would rebound while Mutto shot jumpers at the Robert C. Marshall rec center. After 45 minutes to an hour, the boys walked out of the gym having earned far less than minimum wage.

"He used to give us a quarter — or 50 cents at the most," Smith said, chuckling at the memory.

The corner of Franklin Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard offered a more lucrative opportunity.

From about age 9 to 13, Anthony and his friends would stand underneath the bridge with Squeegees in hand. When cars stopped at the intersection, the boys sprang into action.

"For me, it was money — about $30 a day," Anthony said. "Squeegeeing windows, standing on the corner. It was fun."

In addition to removing assorted bugs and grime from windshields, Anthony and crew would buy sodas and bottled water and then resell them before Orioles games at Camden Yards.

"Whatever we could do to get some money," Anthony said. "That was our drugs right there. We was pushing caffeine and water."

Since then, Anthony’s buying power has increased significantly. When he takes the court for his fourth NBA season, he will receive roughly $20 a second. That rate will nearly triple when his contract extension takes effect in 2007-08.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5102065,00.html

Sports Illustrator
10-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Anthony taking hands-on role in Team Melo's business interests

By James Paton, Rocky Mountain News
October 31, 2006
Carmelo Anthony is devoted to the Denver Nuggets. A five-year, $79 million deal tends to keep your focus on the franchise.
But increasingly, Anthony's thoughts turn to his other team - the board of directors of what could be called Carmelo Incorporated.

The 22-year-old CEO on a recent afternoon dashed off an e-mail to his trusted business advisers, trying to assemble Team Melo members to discuss the brand.

"If we can make this happen before the season, I would truly appreciate it," he wrote.

"P.S.," he added, "WE ON OUR WAY."

Indeed, they are.

Team Melo is driving the company into new realms, from music and movies to technology and retail, and the Nuggets forward is taking a more active role all the time, maturing into a confident boss.

Anthony, who recently acquired a taste for shiraz and has a baby on the way, is growing up fast, personally and professionally. Once clueless, or just indifferent, about the business world, he now is giving Nike creative advice, is tweaking a documentary his entertainment company is financing and is poised to take a seat on the board of an emerging Los Angeles-based tech company.

Along the way, the group is emphasizing Anthony's missteps, rather than playing them down, depicting him as imperfect, but authentic.

Catching his breath after a recent practice, Anthony shifts into financial mode, explaining the education he has received over the last few seasons.

"In my first year, I pushed it all to the side," the former Syracuse University phenom said. "Now I really want to be involved, to know the ins and outs of the business, to know where my money is going."

The 6-foot-8 star has been hustling up and down the court shirtless, revealing all his tattoos, in a recent scrimmage against fellow Nuggets. Minutes earlier, he had dunked explosively over J.R. Smith.

The Nuggets had lost an ugly preseason game 127-107 to the Utah Jazz the previous night, and coach George Karl wasn't pleased.

Talking about Magic Johnson and Jay-Z, the business figures he admires, is probably a relief.

"He's a marketing genius," Anthony said, referring to the rapper who recently ended his retirement. "He's business-savvy."

Beyond endorsements

Endorsements - like his lucrative shoe deal with Nike's Jordan brand, a relationship with video game company EA Sports and a new contract with the makers of a product called Perfect Jumper that helps hoopsters sharpen their shots - remain a key part of the plan.

But the business has plotted a different course. Anthony is not simply accepting a check to tout a product and moving on. Now he's taking stakes in projects or agreeing to partnerships that will deliver a big payday only if the ventures succeed.

Anthony, at the moment, reels in $5 million to $10 million a year off the court, sources close to the athlete say, and the hope is that the ownership roles will create bigger revenue streams down the road, though the potential down side is that consumers will not appreciate his products as much as his play.

His Krossover Entertainment unit has provided a six-figure sum to help pay for a documentary, Prison Ball, and Anthony is in talks to invest in mStation, a maker of iPod stereos, in another six-figure deal. That arrangement would give him a board spot and a voice.

Other transactions include a partnership with another company to sell an "extreme" energy drink. C1.5, as it's called, is set to roll out initially in Denver, Baltimore, Syracuse, Asia and Puerto Rico. Anthony will get a cut of the proceeds, profiting only if people like the stuff. And his Melo Mobile venture will provide Anthony-related ring tones, wallpaper, interviews, pictures and other content to cell phone users. He'll share in the revenue from that.

Both of those are expected to hit the market this fall.

This isn't to suggest the company is doing anything daring with Melo's millions. Goldman Sachs and Smith Barney are managing his assets in an ultraconservative fashion, his advisers said, and the cash that is put to work is dished out carefully.

Accountant Larry Harmon figured Team Melo receives anywhere from five to 20 business proposals a month. They reply to few of them.

Harmon hosts Anthony at his home outside Sacramento from time to time and believes his love of wine has rubbed off on his young client. Anthony now prefers shiraz. Harmon doesn't. However, Carmelo and the CPA are finally in accord on more important matters.

"Melo used to get (mad) at me," he said. "He'd say, 'Why are you killing all those deals?' But a lot of these are terrible. They're junk. Now he's understanding a lot better how we analyze them."

Getting a feel for deals

Anthony does seem to get it, paying attention to numbers other than points and assists.

"I try to get a feel for the deals," he said at the practice session. "I always see what people have to say. But I'm not going to go spilling my money, investing, in just anything. They say you have to take risks to succeed, but I'm low-risk."

The operation may be conservative but it also is complex. In one sign of how sophisticated it has become, Issac Vaughn, a Silicon Valley lawyer and mergers and acquisitions specialist, has joined the team.

Anthony has lots of help. The informal board of directors includes his agent, Calvin Andrews, as well as his marketing guys, Bill Sanders and Chris Talbott - all associates of BDA Sports president Bill Duffy. Harmon, the money man, and now Vaughn have spots at the table, too.

"We all have different skills and come together when big decisions need to be made," Sanders said.

Vaughn sat down with Anthony a month ago in a trailer beside the set of a Nike commercial. He wanted to talk about potential business deals.

"I was impressed. For a young guy, he's not only thinking about where he is now, but what the future holds," said Vaughn, a partner at Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati. "And I get the sense that he has grand plans and designs, while knowing that you can't get there overnight."

Anthony's pursuit of celebrity status off the court is gaining momentum, and stock in Carmelo Inc. is hovering at a 52-week high. Averaging 26.5 points a game last season, starring for Team USA at the World Championship and landing on the cover of Sports Illustrated have fueled the campaign.

Of active players (in other words, excluding Michael Jordan), Anthony reigns as No. 1 in shoe sales for the first nine months of this year, ahead of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and other marquee names, according to SportsOneSource data.

It wasn't always so easy.

Troubles begin in Athens

Anthony's troubles began at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. Criticized by the coach of the U.S. team, Larry Brown, and labeled selfish, Anthony barely played.

He also was caught with a small amount of marijuana in his backpack at Denver International Airport. Charges were dropped after a friend said the marijuana was his.

Anthony hit the front page again when three men tried to extort millions from him with a videotape of a New York nightclub scuffle involving Anthony.

Finally, a controversial DVD surfaced showing Anthony hanging out in Baltimore with a man who threatens to kill drug snitches. Anthony appears mostly in the background of the bootleg video, yet the association, needless to say, made him look bad.

Andrews acknowledged the turmoil tarnished Anthony's image on the corporate level, prompting the business team to "go out of the box and create new and different opportunities for him."

The Fortune 500 companies were leery. And that meant concentrating less on endorsements and more on investments.

Still, the team soon came to the realization that the incidents actually might have boosted Melo's appeal.

"In some ways the mistakes he made, the ones that appeared in the papers, actually helped identify who he was as a brand," Andrews said. "If not the corporate executives, the common people loved him for who he was because he's real."

There are athletes embraced by the hip-hop community, and athletes beloved in Corporate America, said Sanders, the marketing maven.

"You have the super clean-cut guy like Michael Jordan, the All-American boy, and then Allen Iverson on the other end of the spectrum," he said. "We're saying, 'Let's be Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan combined, and let's be the first one.' "

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5106921,00.html

Sports Illustrator
11-04-2006, 04:32 PM
By Associated Press
November 3, 2006
Carmelo Anthony apologized to his teammates for getting ejected from his first game as captain and said he’s going to have to learn to keep his mouth shut because of the NBA’s crackdown on bickering.
"Oh yeah, today we went upstairs and I told everybody I apologized for not keeping my composure," said Anthony, who was tossed from the Denver Nuggets’ 96-95 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers in the season opener Thursday night after picking up his second technical foul.

That’s not how he wanted to start out his season just hours after coach George Karl selected him and Marcus Camby co-captains.

"It was my first game, period. To get thrown out of a TNT game was kind of embarrassing," Anthony said before the Minnesota-Denver tip-off Friday night.

"I think I’ve just got to keep everything in check, captain or no captain," Anthony said. "You’ve just got to go out there and play and not let your emotions get involved."

Anthony tossed his headband in disgust after picking up his fourth personal foul in the third quarter and referee Tom Washington lived up to the league’s new take-no-guff approach and whistled Anthony for his second technical, resulting in his ejection.

"I was shocked. That’s the one word I can use is shocked," Anthony said. "I just took my headband off, I was throwing it to my equipment manager and the crowd just got into it. I think he thought that I threw it at him or something like that. But I’m not that stupid."

Commissioner David Stern made it clear to NBA players this season that he doesn’t want to see or hear any negative reactions when calls go against them.

Several players have been penalized for their post-whistle antics, but Anthony, the darling of the U.S. team at the world championships in Japan last summer, is the biggest star to get caught in the new net.

"There ain’t no star system," Anthony insisted. "Whoever they feel like throwing out, they’re going to throw out."

There is no new rule, but players and coaches were alerted through a memo and preseason meetings with referees that their actions after calls would be a point of emphasis. The crackdown has been described as a "zero-tolerance policy" — which the league objects to.

Anthony said he’s not sure how to balance his passion for the game while toeing the new line.

"I don’t know, man, it’s going to be hard," he said. "We’ve got to do it in our own way, and not try to get too involved with the officiating and what calls they’re making and what calls they’re not making."

Karl said teams are going to have to spend the first part of the season learning what can be said and what can’t — and to which officials.

Anthony said it’s pretty clear: "I remember back in Baltimore when the mayor put zero tolerance in there, it was zero tolerance. So, zero tolerance means zero tolerance. They ain’t taking nothing from nobody."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5117081,00.html

This was a really classy move made by Carmelo Anthony. Any other low classed person would have not said anything to their teammates in terms of apologizing to them but Carmelo Anthony did apologize. This really shows the type of character inside of Carmelo Anthony. Well done Carmelo :clap:.

Sports Illustrator
11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:11/05/2006 12:32:03 AM MST

The Nuggets can pinpoint several reasons for their 0-2 start, but Carmelo Anthony simply pointed to himself.

"I can take responsibility for these two games," said Anthony after Friday's loss against Minnesota. "I can say it's my fault. There are some things I could have done toward the end of the game (Friday). There are some things I could have done better (Thursday against the Clippers) without getting kicked out. But we have 80 more games left."

Anthony has entered this season with high expectations and a new co-captain tag. But so far, the forward has had two games to forget.

Thursday he was ejected in the third quarter of the season opener for tossing his headband. Known for his late-game heroics last season, the fourth-year Nugget wasn't available for a game-winning shot attempt against the Clippers. Instead, Anthony was in the locker room talking on his cell phone with the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant. Nuggets guard Earl Boykins shot an air ball at the buzzer in the 96-95 loss.

"It was kind of tough watching the team," said Anthony, who scored 15 against the Clippers. "They made a run. Any time you go into a situation when you're on someone else's court in that atmosphere, it's kind of hard, especially when I get kicked out like that.

"Kobe (called) me during the game after I got kicked out. He told me it was (wrong) and don't worry about it. But it is what it is."

Anthony apologized to his teammates Friday before the home opener against the Minnesota Timberwolves. He then went out and scored 28 points. But in the closing seconds of the 112-109 loss, he missed potential game-tying 3-point shots from 24, 26 and 32 feet before the buzzer.

Nuggets coach George Karl said Anthony should have gone for a quick two points and a steal instead of a 3-pointer. Anthony acknowledged he never got a quality 3-point attempt in the final seconds.

"It was definitely a quick-two situation," said Karl, who gave his team Saturday off. "I think with 18 seconds, we've got the ball, it's just take it up the court and attack. If you fall into a good 3, you shoot it, but the 3s weren't that good."

Said Anthony: "Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't."

The Nuggets have several days to think about being 0-2; they don't play again until Wednesday against the visiting New York Knicks. Denver also started last season 0-2 and lost five of its first eight. But Anthony is optimistic today's Nuggets will turn things around quickly and believes they should be 2-0.

"It's too early in the season to be moping around," Anthony said. "If the guys see me moping around, then they'll be moping around. We can't have that this year."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4605265

Now this is a real talk of a true captain right here.....

Sports Illustrator
11-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Although it was just one season, Syracuse University played a big role in Carmelo Anthony's development. Now the Nuggets star will be playing a big role in helping the Orange develop its future basketball stars - possibly at "The Melo Center."

Syracuse officials announced Tuesday that Anthony will donate $3 million toward the construction of a basketball practice facility for the men's and women's programs. The 2003 NCAA Final Four most outstanding player, who led Syracuse to its lone national championship, was joined at Tuesday's news conference at the Pepsi Center by Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim and athletic director Daryl Gross.

Anthony will pay the $3 million over six years beginning in January, and has an option to pay the entire amount earlier, according to his representation agency BDA Sports.

"I want to thank the whole city of Syracuse, Coach Boeheim and the university for giving me the opportunity to do something like this," Anthony said. "This is a legacy. I don't think an active (NBA) player right now is doing something like this. This is going to be (used) for the next 100 years.

"When you go to Syracuse, you're going to see the Melo Center or something like that. We don't know a name yet."

Anthony's gift represents one of the largest individual donations to Syracuse athletics and could be the largest donation ever given by a pro athlete to a school they attended. In 1998, then-Atlanta Hawk Steve Smith gave $2.5 million to his alma mater, Michigan State. Former Colorado State football player Joey Porter donated $200,000 to the athletic department in April 2005 to upgrade the football facilities.

"When you look at the money, people are going to say, 'Wow, he's giving back that much money?"' Anthony said. "But it's much deeper than the money. It was my commitment, what I gave to Syracuse and what they gave to me when I was there. They embraced me. It was another way I could give back."

The entire project is expected to cost $15 million and most of the money has been raised, Syracuse senior associate athletic director Scott Sidwell said.

Sidwell said the project is expected to break ground this spring and will take 18 months. The facility will have two practice courts, locker rooms and offices for the men's and women's basketball programs.

"We are so appreciative of Carmelo's enormously generous gift to support SU's new planned basketball practice facility," Syracuse chancellor and president Nancy Cantor said in a statement. "The building would be a state-of-the-art practice and training facility for our student-athletes and benefit them and our athletic programs for years to come."

Boeheim's wife, Juli, originally suggested the idea to Anthony in July during the USA Basketball practice for the world championships. Jim Boeheim, a USA Basketball assistant, and the school officially gave Anthony a proposal asking for $3 million in August, and he agreed that day during the world championships in Japan.

Then 18, Anthony led Syracuse to a 30-5 record, was named consensus national freshman of the year, was an AP second-team All-American and averaged 22.2 points and 10 rebounds. Gross hopes to retire Anthony's No. 15 jersey at Syracuse soon. The third overall pick in the 2003 draft said he hasn't been back to Syracuse since 2004, but Boeheim hopes to get him back next summer.

"He's already given Syracuse University more than anyone who has ever played there with what he's done on the court," Boeheim said. "He not only helped us when he was there, but in terms of the profile he's left us with that has helped us tremendously with recruiting and will continue to help us. People admire and respect him, especially high school kids. He's already given back in Baltimore, he's already given lots in Denver and he's giving back to Syracuse, which I'm grateful for."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4620591

Wow this guy is a great guy, there is no doubt about it. Donating money is a very generous thing to do as an NBA player.

Sports Illustrator
11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
November 13, 2006
Box score
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - One minute, Carmelo Anthony vowed to talk trash to a pair of famous fellows.

The next minute, one of those fellows walked up to him. But Anthony elected to hold his tongue.

The forward scored a game-most 36 points Sunday to lead the Nuggets to a 108-101 win against the Charlotte Bobcats. Anthony then was asked if he liked playing in Charlotte, where he put up 42 last season.

"I got two of my buddies in this organization, M.J. and Nelly," referring to Michael Jordan and the music superstar, both part owners. "So I've had to put on a show. I'm going to talk trash talk later on to both of them."

Anthony might sometimes be cocky, but he has learned it is best not to spout off to the boss. When Jordan, walked up to him in the locker room, Anthony, who represents Brand Jordan, was quite gracious.

"It's a good feeling," Anthony said. "He's always going to be supportive."

Jordan, who declined an interview request, told Anthony he "looks good (because of) keeping the weight off." He told him to "keep playing like that" before indicating he would prefer Anthony not have his best games against the Bobcats.

Anthony, though, is having good games against a lot of teams. After being tossed out of the opener against the Los Angeles Clippers early in the third quarter and managing only 15 points, he has averaged 33 points the past four games.

Had he not had the ejection, Anthony said he "probably" would be leading the NBA in scoring. The -pacesetter is Milwaukee's Michael Redd at 32.4.

"I don't feel like I'm there yet, but I feel like I'm on my way," said Anthony, who had his third straight 30- point game.

And so might the Nuggets (2-3). After losing their first three, they have won two straight on the road.

Despite the win, Nuggets coach George Karl was not as happy as one might expect. He was displeased that Denver, after leading by 14 points, allowed the Bobcats to cut the deficit to seven in the final minutes.

The Bobcats (1-5) should have gotten closer. But, trailing 104-97, Gerald Wallace missed a dunk with 52 seconds left and Emeka Okafor missed a follow-up layup.

"We always make the fourth quarter adventurous," Karl said. "Unfortunately, we had a big lead and our turnovers and our decisions kind of scare me a little bit. . . . But it was a good win."

The Nuggets still haven't gotten over blowing fourth-quarter leads of 10, seven and 12 points in their first three games. Guard J.R Smith will let it be known when they do.

"When we're five or six games over .500," said Smith, who scored 17 points while shooting 4-for-10 from three-point range.

In the meantime, Miss Manners might suggest the Nuggets send the Bobcats thank-you notes. The Bobcats turned over the ball a team- record 29 times, including 16 in the first half, when Denver took a 55-47 lead.

"It's careless, it's irresponsible and it's just lack of concentration," Wallace said.

The Nuggets deserve some credit, though. They had 17 steals, so not all those balls were being thrown into the third row.

Getting four steals was forward Joe Smith, and pilfering three each were guard Andre Miller and forward Reggie Evans, who had his second consecutive impressive game off the bench. He totaled 12 points and seven rebounds in 20 minutes.

"Everybody had pretty active hands," said Miller, who also scored 17 points and handed out 11 assists. "That was helping us get some easy points."

Meanwhile, Nuggets center Marcus Camby thought the Bobcats were getting easy calls. Camby fouled out in 26 minutes, going to the bench for good with 4:01 left in the game.

"The refs were terrible (Sunday)," said Camby, who will be sending no thank-you notes to Bennett Salvatore, Tony Brown and Derrick Collins. "Calling a lot of touching fouls, a lot of fouls that weren't fouls. That's how they're calling it this year. We just have to adjust to it."

But Camby was not snarling when discussing Anthony.

"He's been phenomenal," Camby said. "He's got to be a candidate for player of the week."

Anthony shot 13-for-22 from the floor and 10-for-11 from the line Sunday. He played only 35 minutes.

"Once I get going and my team gets going, it's pretty hard to stop us," Anthony said.

Jordan saw that firsthand. Anthony didn't need to rub it in.

ETC.: Nuggets forward Nene sat out because of a bruised right knee. He and athletic trainer Jim Gillen are hopeful he can play Tuesday at Miami, when Nene wants to battle Heat center Shaquille O'Neal. "It's still sore," Nene said. "I have to be patient. There is no magic. But I got a chance (Tuesday)." . . . Karl said Larry Brown, a friend, eventually could coach Charlotte. "Yeah," Karl said. "This is a young, talented team that needs direction . . . I know he loves (alma mater University of North Carolina). I know he loves (Jordan)." But Karl added he "wouldn't bet" on Brown taking over . . . Jordan joked to J.R. Smith he "should have gone to North Carolina," where he signed before entering the draft from high school . . . The Nuggets were outrebounded 49-36, with Okafor grabbing 15 while also scoring a team-most 22 points.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5140028,00.html

DenButsu
11-15-2006, 12:56 PM
On a similar note as the previous article, Melo is now 3rd on the scoring list with just over 30 ppg (after 6 games).

Nice job so far of establishing himself early as a clear All-Star caliber player. Keep it up, dude! :clap:

Sports Illustrator
11-15-2006, 01:07 PM
On a similar note as the previous article, Melo is now 3rd on the scoring list with just over 30 ppg (after 6 games).

Nice job so far of establishing himself early as a clear All-Star caliber player. Keep it up, dude! :clap:

Yea he's really been doing well lately, like an all-star and I have no doubt that he'll end up as an all-star by February's all-star weekend if he continues playing the same way. And there a couple of nice SF's in the western conference. There is:

1) Shawn Marion
2) Peja
3) Lamar Odom(maybe since he plays SF at times)
4) Andrei Kirilenko

DenButsu
11-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Yea he's really been doing well lately, like an all-star and I have no doubt that he'll end up as an all-star by February's all-star weekend if he continues playing the same way. And there a couple of nice SF's in the western conference. There is:

1) Shawn Marion
2) Peja
3) Lamar Odom(maybe since he plays SF at times)
4) Andrei Kirilenko

How about:

Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitski
Tracy McGrady
Tim Duncan
Pau Gasol
Amare Stoudemire
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom

(the fan voting for the starters isn't divided by small/power forward, so we need to include the PFs on the list, too)

Lucky for Melo, he's popular, so he'll be getting lots of fan votes... especially after the FIBA tournament, which was watched much more carefully by international fans than American fans, since Carmelo pretty much stole the USA team show, he should draw lots of worldwide votes as well. But the NBA should really drop the fan voting system before Yao becomes a 40-year-old 3rd string center who's still getting voted into the Western starting all-star center position by gazillions of Chinese fans.

Anyhow, to continue tracking Melo's scoring performance, with his 34 in the loss to the Magic, he just took the number two spot:

Michael Redd MIL 31.3
Carmelo Anthony DEN 30.6
Allen Iverson PHI 29.4
Joe Johnson ATL 28.9
LeBron James CLE 28.6

Sports Illustrator
11-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Haywood, English hope Melo breaks their scoring marks

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
November 18, 2006
Carmelo Anthony knows about Denver's record book. He soon may have a prominent place in it.
The Nuggets forward is aware of Spencer Haywood averaging a franchise-record 30.0 points per game for the ABA's Denver Rockets in 1969-70. He is familiar with Alex English putting up 29.8 for the Nuggets in 1985-86, the best mark in the team's NBA history.

"Yeah, I know that much," Anthony said.

Anthony, second in the NBA with a 30.6 scoring average, knows he has a shot to eclipse both those marks. What he didn't know before Friday is both Haywood and English are rooting for him.

"He would be the right man to break it," said Haywood, whose record came during a season in which he was named ABA Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year and won the scoring crown. "I would love to see Carmelo break my record."

It sounds as if Haywood and English have compared notes. English, a Toronto assistant, will be at the Pepsi Center tonight when the Raptors face the Nuggets.

"Records are made to be broken," English said. "It would be an honor for (Anthony) to do it because he is such an outstanding basketball player."

Told of the endorsements from Haywood, a forward who played just one season for the Rockets, and English, an eight-time All-Star forward, Anthony was flattered.

"That's an honor coming from a legend like that, a Hall of Fame guy like Alex English," Anthony said. "Just to hear those words. . . . I've seen Spencer (before). That's my guy. I know his story (about suing the NBA to win the right to play before his college class graduated)."

The Nuggets might have played just seven games, but it's apparent Anthony is heading for a big-time scoring season. Throw out the opener, when Anthony scored 15 before being ejected early in the third quarter, and Anthony is averaging 33.2, better than the 31.3 average for NBA leader Michael Redd of Milwaukee.

So can Anthony average more than 30 points, which would give him a team record?

"The way things are going right now, it's looking good," Anthony said. "But it's a long season."

And can Anthony become the second Nuggets player to win an NBA scoring title, following English, who averaged 28.4 in 1982-83?

"If I do that, that's always great," Anthony said. "I don't go out there saying I got to score 30 a night to win the scoring title. If it happens, it happens."

Two factors figure to help Anthony. The Nuggets should score more this season playing at an increased tempo. With forward Kenyon Martin out for the season following knee surgery, Anthony will be called upon to score even more.

"He's got a lot of tools," said English, who made a living off the mid-range jumper with Denver from 1979-90. "He's a lot more skilled than I was. I didn't have the three-point shot he has. He's one of those guys who can go to hole and dunk hard. I was a simple player."

Anthony and English don't know each other well. They've chatted a few times, and English said tonight he will wish Anthony luck.

Anthony and Haywood have talked more. Haywood, involved in real estate in Las Vegas, saw Anthony several times there last summer when he practiced with Team USA in preparation for the World Championships.

"He spent more time on his game than any other player on the team," Haywood said. "He was the first on the court and the last to leave. I told him I didn't see that baby fat I'd seen before. I told him, 'You're going to have a huge year.' "

Anthony's year so far includes an ongoing streak of five consecutive 30-point games. He's shooting 48.4 percent, on pace to be a career-best.

If Anthony needs additional motivation in his march into the record book, perhaps he can get it knowing Haywood and English are both rooting for him.

ETC.: Nuggets guard Julius Hodge, who had a skin graft Nov. 9 due to an infected left foot, said doctors told him it will be "another week and half to two weeks" before he can resume activity. Hodge had a piece of skin taken from his thigh and put on his foot. Nuggets coach George Karl's preference is for Hodge to soon play for the NBADL's Colorado 14ers, but Hodge wants to remain with the Nuggets. "I feel I'd get better here, but whatever the coaches think is best, I'll have to do," he said . . . Karl isn't a fan of the NBA's controversial new ball. "The NBA deserves the best ball, and I don't think many people think this is the best ball in basketball," he said.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5153967,00.html

Sports Illustrator
11-18-2006, 02:12 PM
How about:

Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitski
Tracy McGrady
Tim Duncan
Pau Gasol
Amare Stoudemire
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom

(the fan voting for the starters isn't divided by small/power forward, so we need to include the PFs on the list, too)

Lucky for Melo, he's popular, so he'll be getting lots of fan votes... especially after the FIBA tournament, which was watched much more carefully by international fans than American fans, since Carmelo pretty much stole the USA team show, he should draw lots of worldwide votes as well. But the NBA should really drop the fan voting system before Yao becomes a 40-year-old 3rd string center who's still getting voted into the Western starting all-star center position by gazillions of Chinese fans.

Anyhow, to continue tracking Melo's scoring performance, with his 34 in the loss to the Magic, he just took the number two spot:

Michael Redd MIL 31.3
Carmelo Anthony DEN 30.6
Allen Iverson PHI 29.4
Joe Johnson ATL 28.9
LeBron James CLE 28.6

Nice post man, it was really solid. And out of the following players you've mentioned who are:

Kevin Garnett: He's a PF and will battle for the PF spot and if there's too much glut at PF then he might be moved to SF but that's very doubtable but he will definitely be going IMO.

Dirk Nowitski: He's definitely going at PF, no questions asked.

Tracy McGrady: He will be battling with Carmelo although he plays as a SG most of the time. One advantage for Carmelo is that T-mac hasn't been playing like himself and is VERY injury prone.

Tim Duncan: He's going as a PF or C.

Pau Gasol: He's been out for too long, I highly doubt he goes to the all-star game and besides, he's a PF-C. Even though Amare had some votes without playing a single game last season, Fans love Amare and he's definitely not Amare so I doubt he'd be getting a lot of votes.

Amare Stoudemire: Amare hasn't been doing too well lately but not that terrible either. But he's a PF so he isn't anything that Carmelo needs to worry about.

Ron Artest: He can be a big problem, he's pretty explosive, always plays aggressive and is very effective for the Kings at both ends of the court. He doesn't score as much as Carmelo does but his production is the same or evern better then Carmelo's.

Lamar Odom: Lamar Odom may not have the freedom to do as much as he'd like to, but he definitely is an all-star candidate for this season whether it is at SF or PF. If he plays the same way he did back when he played with the Heat, we might be seeing him going into the playoffs.

DenButsu
11-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Is my understanding of the all-star voting system wrong? I was under the impression that the difference between PG/SG and SF/PF didn't matter in the VOTING, but that after being named as all-stars they assigned those positions. I'm not that familiar with the system, though, so I could easily be mistaken. :rolleyes:

Sports Illustrator
11-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Is my understanding of the all-star voting system wrong? I was under the impression that the difference between PG/SG and SF/PF didn't matter in the VOTING, but that after being named as all-stars they assigned those positions. I'm not that familiar with the system, though, so I could easily be mistaken. :rolleyes:

Well you have to vote I think it is 4 F's no matter which forwards it is, 4 G's and 2 C's. And when making the all-star team, the SF's and PF's will be look at but to vote the positions arent really looked at.

DenButsu
11-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Carmelo's 33 points against the Warriors bumped his average ppg up to 31.0, and he retains the #1 scoring leader position :clap:

Carmelo Anthony DEN 31.0
Michael Redd MIL 29.7
Allen Iverson PHI 28.7
Gilbert Arenas WAS 28.3
Vince Carter NJN 28.2
(from nba.com (http://www.nba.com/statistics/))

At this point, with the All-Star voting already well underway, I think Melo's performance would really have to take some kind of dramatic downturn for him not to make the starting roster... He's having a nice solid run as the scoring leader, and if he just keeps playing like he already his, he should be there for sure, and it will be well-deserved, especially after last season's snub.

DenButsu
11-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Even after Iverson's 46 points (and impressive 10 assists) in the 76ers' game against the Bulls, Melo still retains his scoring lead by getting 30 in the Nuggets' 140-129 victory over the Warriors.

From mba.com (http://www.nba.com/games/20061124/GSWDEN/recap.html):

Anthony was handed a stat sheet after the game and studied it, shaking his head in admiration. The stats weren't from Denver's game, but Allen Iverson's 46-point outburst against Chicago.

``Not a bad game,'' Anthony said, looking at Iverson's numbers.

Anthony still leads the league in scoring - barely. He's averaging 30.9 and Iverson now has a 30.4-point average. That wasn't on his mind after the game, though.

``We almost had 150 points, that's impressive,'' he said. ``I've never done that before. You can't get mad at the win.''

DenButsu
11-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Melo, against the Clippers:

33 points (12-25 fg, 9-10 ft)
6 assists
5 rebounds
4 steals

And the scary thing is this is becoming his normal game. I think that's 8 of the last 9 games now that he's gotten 30 or more. I predict that it won't be too long before he has a huge bust-out game that breaks his career high for points (45). Just seems like he's ready to do something truly explosive...

roasthawg
11-27-2006, 12:23 AM
most everyone on this site freaked on me when i said he's better than bosh, wait 'til the end of the season...the dude is a stud, unstoppable on offense and his d is getting better.

Sports Illustrator
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
And now J.R. Smith, new teammate are on fire for Nuggets

November 28, 2006
Facing a life-changing decision, J.R. Smith did what teenagers have been doing for centuries: He turned to an elder.
In this case, the advice he sought came from a 19-year-old who was less than a year removed from college.

Carmelo Anthony turned out to be a big influence on Smith, then 17, as he wrestled with the decision whether to attend the University of North Carolina or make the jump from high school to the NBA.

"He was definitely an adviser," Smith said Monday. "He told me to make the best decision possible, but if I really wanted to be serious about basketball, I should go pro."

Less than three years later, Anthony is benefiting from Smith's decision to pursue a basketball education in the NBA.

Twelve games into their relationship as Nuggets teammates, Anthony is the second-leading scorer in the league at 31.1 points per game and Smith has given him strong support on the wing, averaging 17.9.

Their combined 49-point scoring average is tops in the NBA.

"Those guys are playing well. They're getting the majority of the shots, so they get a chance to score the ball a lot, and we're looking for them," Nuggets center Marcus Camby said. "They're just making basket after basket, and they seem to be jelling well in the early part of the season."

Though playing together for the first time in the NBA, Anthony and Smith began cultivating a relationship a few years ago when Smith was contemplating his future.

Anthony was near the end of his rookie season with the Nuggets when he attended the 2004 McDonald's All-American Game in Oklahoma City. Smith, representing the East team, took advantage of Anthony's presence, asking him for guidance.

Anthony won a national title as a freshman at Syracuse before leaving for the NBA. Should Smith follow that same path and develop his game for a year at North Carolina?

"I was like, 'Look, whatever you want to do. If you feel like you're ready, then come on in. If not, then go to college,' " Anthony said. "Obviously he felt like he was ready."

In hindsight, it is tough to say whether Smith made a good or bad decision. He was the 18th overall pick of the 2004 draft and averaged 10.5 points as a rookie, but he experienced some serious growing pains in two seasons with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

Smith lost his confidence - and his place in the rotation - after clashing with Hornets coach Byron Scott in 2005-06. An offseason trade to Denver, via Chicago, has provided a fresh start and a chance to play alongside his friend and mentor Anthony.

"Eventually we was going to play on the same team because nobody stays on the same team forever," Smith said. "Hopefully we play together throughout most of our careers."

If Smith, 21, and Anthony, 22, continue to click, the Nuggets will have no reason to separate them.

During Denver's current five-game winning streak, the two are combining to average 55.6 points - Anthony 31.8 and Smith 23.8. Smith has made 17 three-pointers during that span; Anthony has done much of his damage in the post, at the free-throw line and in the open court.

Anthony was recognized for his effort Monday when he was chosen Western Conference Player of the Week. It is the fourth time he has received the award in his four NBA seasons.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it," Anthony said. "Anybody tell you that they don't like to hear that they got player of the week, it's (not true)."

In four Denver victories last week, Anthony averaged 31.3 points on 54.8 percent shooting. He also averaged 5.3 assists, 4.8 rebounds and 2.8 steals.

"He's hot right now. In my eyes, he's the MVP of the league," Camby said. "I don't see anyone playing better. He's scoring. We all know he can do that, but he's also rebounding and passing, something he has been lacking in the past."

Anthony, who lost out to LeBron James for the 2003-04 Rookie of the Year award and has not yet been an All-Star, is not about to get caught up in MVP talk, but Nuggets coach George Karl sees a special fire in his franchise player.

"Last year after the All-Star break, I thought he was on a mission," Karl said. "I think the USA team (experience last summer) showed that he was very much on a mission, and I think he's on a mission to pick this team up and be a winning playoff team."

Karl also has been impressed with Smith but remains cautious in his praise as Smith works on improving his defense and overall decision-making skills.

"I'm not going to jump off any bridges yet. I'm happy for J.R., but a career is not built on 10 games; a career's built on season after season of improvement," Karl said. "But I can't deny that he's made us very happy."

1-2 punch

Nuggets teammates Carmelo Anthony, left, and J.R. Smith, far left, form the highest-scoring tandem in the NBA. The top five duos through Monday's games:

Team Top scorer No. 2 Combined

Nuggets Carmelo Anthony J.R. Smith 31.1 17.9 49.0

Sonics Ray Allen Rashard Lewis 25.5 22.9 48.4

Celtics Paul Pierce Wally Szczerbiak 27.2 19.8 47.0

Rockets Yao Ming Tracy McGrady 26.4 19.2 45.6

76ers Allen Iverson Andre Iguodala 31.7 13.9 45.6

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5174542,00.html

DenButsu
11-28-2006, 11:11 PM
This jumps out at me as THE key point of that story:

Their combined 49-point scoring average is tops in the NBA.

:clap:

Sports Illustrator
11-29-2006, 10:25 PM
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Staff Columnist
Article Launched:11/29/2006 01:00:00 AM MST

On his MySpace page, where Carmelo Anthony's friends and admirers span the globe from Fort Morgan in rural Colorado to down under in Australia, an 18-year-old fan recently gave his favorite Nuggets player this shout-out: "Hey, Melo. Keep doing what you DO and u'll get the MVP."

Anthony is busting out around the world.

He alone is worth the price of admission for every game Denver plays.

But the NBA season is too long to be all Melo all the time.

That's the problem with the Nuggets. It's why they are pretenders when it's time to list legit contenders in this league.

As the snow flew outside the arena Tuesday night, Anthony dropped 37 points on lowly Memphis.

But the Nuggets dropped a 108-96 decision that revealed them as players who can certainly be entertaining, so long as you don't take them too seriously.

Anybody who makes the mistake of assuming Denver is for real will end up as frustrated as coach George Karl was after a defeat that put an ugly halt to a five-game winning streak.

Karl said the Nuggets were "standing, holding," playing a poor brand of NBA basketball.

When the Nuggets do not run, they are nothing.

"I seen it during warm-ups," said Anthony, who felt no energy in the arena. "We were just out there."

It's physically impossible to survive the grind of an 82-game regular season without feeling as if your shoes were filled with cement on some nights.

But it's also much harder to run in the playoffs than on a night in November.

Although Memphis entered the game tied for the league's worst record, Karl was so uptight about a letdown by his team that he expressed a need for a massage.

This team would make any thinking coach nervous. It cannot shoot jumpers. It cannot execute in the halfcourt. It has not addressed the most serious problems that have prevented the Nuggets from being anything except first-round fodder when the playoffs begin.

"We over-relied on Melo," Karl said.

Anthony is averaging a stunning 31.5 points through 13 games. He has grown into the league's most dangerous scorer this side of Allen Iverson.

But I guarantee you this: If Anthony wins the scoring title, the Nuggets will not win one round in the playoffs.

Denver must find some offensive balance. While the acquisition of J.R. Smith appears to be a steal, at 21 years old he is too young to be more dependable than any apprentice.

Where do the Nuggets get their points when Smith has those nights when the NBA gives him tough, on-the-job training? Not from Earl Boykins, who has lifted more bricks than you would think possible from a 135-pound man. In the past nine games, Boykins has missed a stupefying 77 percent of his 74 field-

goal attempts.

While Denver deserves applause for a recent stretch of eight victories in nine games, please remember the streak began on the road in the Eastern Conference, which commissioner David Stern should fine heavily for embarrassing the game of basketball.

Elite teams never allow visitors to feel at home. The Nuggets have already lost three times at the Pepsi Center.

"I don't know what it's been on this home court. It just bothers me that we're not more focused and more demanding of our performance," said Karl, well aware if the Nuggets do not use the mile-high altitude to their advantage in transition, they are exposed as a team terribly flawed in a straight-up, five-on-five game. "We just seem to, for a better phrase, play around with the game here."

Melo is reason enough to watch the Nuggets.

Too often, the other four guys in a Denver uniform make you want to cover your eyes.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4737540

Sports Illustrator
11-29-2006, 10:27 PM
By Associated Press
November 28, 2006
Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony is engaged, has a baby on the way and now has his own energy drink.
C1.5 Extreme Energy Drink will be introduced Friday in stores in the Syracuse, N.Y., area, where Anthony played at Syracuse University.

It’s expected to be available in the Denver area in December, said Brendan Shaw, chairman of Chicago-based Intervest Media Group, the company behind C1.5.

Anthony will get 35 percent of the profits, said Clenton Alexander, director of investor relations for Intervest. Alexander said Anthony played a big role in C1.5’s taste and presentation.

Anthony and MTV VJ La La Vasquez announced in September they’re expecting their first child in March. They announced their engagement in January and plan to marry after the baby’s birth, said Vasquez’s representative, Jack Ketsoyan.

With C1.5 and other business ventures, the 22-year-old Anthony is looking ahead to life after basketball, said Bill Sanders, vice president of marketing for BDA Sports Management, which represents Anthony.

"Melo knows that basketball can be fleeting and that he’d like to position himself so at the time that he’s finished playing, hopefully that’s a long time from now, but when he’s done, he can transition into a business career," Sanders told The Denver Post in Tuesday’s editions.

"That’s included developing a film, a record label and various business investments and ventures," he said.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5176091,00.html

DenButsu
12-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Tonight against the Pacers Melo got 38 points, retaining the scoring lead and, more impressively, tying Alex English's team record of six consecutive 30-point games for the second time this season (making it 12/13 of the last games that Carmelo has scored 30 or more).

Before the start of this season, the big question was whether he'd finally make the All-Star team. Horrible tragic unforeseen circumstance notwithstanding, I'd say by now he's already a shoe-in for starter, so that question is pretty much answered.

The real question now is: Will Melo win the scoring title?

I think he has it in him to do it.

Sports Illustrator
12-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Tonight against the Pacers Melo got 38 points, retaining the scoring lead and, more impressively, tying Alex English's team record of six consecutive 30-point games for the second time this season (making it 12/13 of the last games that Carmelo has scored 30 or more).

Before the start of this season, the big question was whether he'd finally make the All-Star team. Horrible tragic unforeseen circumstance notwithstanding, I'd say by now he's already a shoe-in for starter, so that question is pretty much answered.

The real question now is: Will Melo win the scoring title?

I think he has it in him to do it.

Hey Jesus, I think that Carmelo has it in him and will win the scoring title. He is really playing comfortably well and he keeps improving/boosting up his ppg each and every game. It's really not easy to score 30+ points per game and Carmelo Anthony is seriously the talk of an all-star right now. Well IMO I think he can do it but I don't know about everyone else.

Sports Illustrator
12-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Nugget making statement with 32.2 average
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:12/05/2006 10:58:57 PM MST

If the Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony needs a campaign manager to help him get all-star votes, he might consider hiring teammate Kenyon Martin.

"If he doesn't start, it's robbery," Martin said. "Quote that, please."

Anthony felt snubbed by the Western Conference coaches when they did not choose him as a reserve for the 2006 NBA All-Star Game. But early this season he's making a strong statement to not only make his first all-star team, but possibly get voted in as a starter.

"It's possible," Anthony said. "Especially with what the team (10-5) and I are doing now. It's still early."

Anthony, listed as a forward on the ballot, will get his first indication Dec. 14 on how he's doing when the first fan

Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony is averaging 33.3 points at home and 31 on the road. (Post / John Leyba)vote totals are released. Balloting ends Jan. 21.The most recent Nugget voted in as a starter was forward Alex English in 1989, and the team's most recent all-star was forward Antonio McDyess in 2001.
Anthony entered Tuesday as the NBA's leading scorer (32.2 points per game). The 6-foot-8, 230-pounder from Syracuse scored a season-high 38 points Saturday against Indiana. He was eighth in the NBA in steals per game (1.87).

With a 30-point performance tonight against visiting Atlanta, Anthony would eclipse a franchise record he and English share with six consecutive games of scoring at least 30.

"Don't jinx me," Anthony said.

Houston's Tracy McGrady and San Antonio's Tim Duncan were voted in as West all-star starters at forward last season. Anthony finished seventh in the fan balloting. And despite averaging 25.7 points at the time all-star reserves were chosen, the West coaches bypassed him.

"I was shocked," Anthony said. "Someone told me and I was like, 'For real, how is that possible?' I used it more as motivation."

Said Denver coach George Karl: "The fans can vote for anybody. But coaches are going to vote for (winners). They are not going to look at the stats; they are going to look at, 'Denver's good."'

McGrady and Yao Ming are teammates, and McGrady has been helped by votes from China. But McGrady has been listed at guard on the ballot this season, which should help Anthony's chances. Anthony also increased his world-wide recognition when he led Team USA in scoring and made the all-tournament team at the world championships in Japan this year. Team USA also played exhibition games in China.

"The way he is playing this year, with 30 more games to the (all-star) break, he should be a starter," said Nuggets assistant coach Adrian Dantley, who was a six-time all-star.

Anthony has a link to this season's all-star ballot on his MySpace page at www.myspace.com/carmeloanthony.

Said Martin: "He's one of the most popular guys in the league from what I can tell in the three years I've played with him. Everyone is always cheering for him. He doesn't get booed like me."

However he makes it, Anthony will be happy when he plays in the All-Star Game for the first time.

"It would be special to get there, period. But it would be even more special if the fans vote me in," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4785408

Sports Illustrator
12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
The Nuggets' star forward invests his time and money in a Baltimore facility that will benefit inner-city kids.
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:12/15/2006 01:27:10 AM MST

Baltimore - With Carmelo Anthony and hundreds of kids watching intently Thursday, Baltimore city councilman Bernard "Jack" Young applauded the Nuggets forward for not forgetting where he came from.

Anthony was thanked for investing $1 million in a youth center formerly run by the Boys & Girls Club, which closed in January 2005, outside of downtown Baltimore. While in high school, Anthony played pickup basketball there with Sam Cassell. Many of the kids who play there live in poverty in an area often linked to drugs, crime and violence.

"You put it in your heart to come back and give back so these kids could have an opportunity for recreational programs, educational programs and to stay off the streets so they won't become a statistic," Young said. "They could be become productive citizens in the great city of Baltimore. And with that, I want to thank you."

Thanks to Anthony and Jordan Jumpman Brand, the building was renovated in September, re-opened and is now called the Carmelo Anthony Youth Development Center.

Anthony, his mother, Mary, and many local dignitaries were on hand Thursday for the official grand opening. Anthony's agent Calvin Andrews said his client has committed to paying about $1 million for the center. Jordan Brand manager Roman Vega said his company has given about $100,000.

"I came a long way to be sitting in front of you guys today to opening up a rec center," said Anthony, 22, who grew up in a tough Baltimore neighborhood. "My rec center got closed down and taken from us when I was about 13 or 14. ... For the kids to have a place to come to where they can get off the streets and stay out of trouble, I think they are going to love it."

Said Mary Anthony: "I'm so proud of him. (It's) incomprehensible."

The rec center will include The Carmelo Anthony Youth Development program, which was created through a partnership with the Living Classrooms Foundation, the Carmelo Anthony Foundation and the Housing Authority of Baltimore County to respond to the community's need for intervention to support the academic and social development of disadvantaged youth. The program will provide services in five areas displayed at the building's entrance: education and career development, life skills instruction, sports and recreation, mentoring and motivational life skills.

"I'm very excited because (my two sons) have a structured environment they can go to," Baltimore resident Jennifer Williams said. "They enjoy coming here. They are here every day from 3 to 6."

Numerous community events will be held at the center, including immunizations and lead screenings, youth workshops and conferences, job fairs, family night activities and basketball tournaments. Camp Melo Summertime Fun & Discovery from late-June to mid-August will be free to 100 local youth from six housing developments.

The venue has a gymnasium, computer lab, dance studio, recording studio, library, an outdoor basketball court and a meeting space. Many of the walls were painted, including some in Nuggets' blue and yellow. There are also huge posters of Anthony.

Said Jamal Childs, who has two daughters who visit the center: "When this facility closed, (the kids) could have went to other activities, but most of them were in the street."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4842920

Sports Illustrator
12-16-2006, 10:44 PM
By The Associated Press
Article Last Updated:12/15/2006 09:06:51 PM MST

Boston - Paul Pierce scored 38 points and Tony Allen added a career-high 30 to help the Boston Celtics extend their winning streak to four with a 119-114 victory over the Denver Nuggets on Friday night.

Al Jefferson had 28 points and 10 rebounds, while Wally Szczerbiak scored 16 points off the bench for the Celtics (9-13), who moved into a first-place tie with the New Jersey Nets in the lowly Atlantic Division. New Jersey lost to Toronto 90-78 earlier Friday.

The Celtics led by as many as 19 and never trailed, although Denver turned it into a close game thanks to Carmelo Anthony and Andre Miller.

Anthony scored a season-high 42 points and Miller added 18 for the Nuggets (12-9), who lost their second straight and fell to 1-3 on their five-game trip.

The Nuggets (12-9) lost to Washington 120-91 on Tuesday and conclude the trip in New York on Saturday.

Boston led 70-51 early in the third quarter, but Miller and Anthony combined for 17 third-quarter points to help the Nuggets cut the deficit to 85-74 to start the fourth.

After Jefferson opened the fourth with a layup to extend Boston's lead to 13, Anthony scored five straight, sparking an 11-2 run that helped the Nuggets close the gap to 89-85.

The Nuggets got as close as 94-91 on Miller's layup midway through the quarter, but Boston scored seven of the next nine points to pull away.

Allen's steal and breakaway dunk capped the spurt and made it 101-93 with 4 minutes remaining. Pierce, who added nine assists and eight rebounds, hit a 3-pointer two possessions later to make it 106-95.

Boston improved to 4-2 since Allen moved into the starting lineup six games ago with Szczerbiak out with a left ankle sprain.

Szczerbiak returned for Boston's 101-81 win in Philadelphia on Tuesday, but has come off the bench since. Before the game Friday, Celtics coach Doc Rivers said he planned on keeping Allen in the starting lineup because Szczerbiak adds a spark off the bench the Celtics had been missing.

Allen made his first eight shots, and his 11 first-quarter points helped the Celtics jump out to a 31-17 lead. He kept it going in the second quarter, following Anthony's layup with a baseline dunk and a 3-pointer to extend Boston's lead to 36-19.

42 points for Carmelo Anthony, Yikes!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:.

bigdll
12-17-2006, 09:31 AM
No matter how many jumpers Melo hits, most people will remember the sucker punch he threw this season. He just joined the ranks of punks like Ron Artest. Congrats.
Oh, and I could watch him run away from from Jared Jeffries all day. That was funny. What a little girl, he even has a hairdo.

Sports Illustrator
12-17-2006, 11:28 AM
December 17, 2006 -- One of the biggest stars in the NBA could be in for a long suspension.

While the NBA was silent last night on how it will handle the melee at the Garden, Nuggets coach George Karl was asked if Carmelo Anthony will get a four-game suspension.

"I'll take the over," Karl told ESPN.com.

Karl may be right. After last night's brawl spilled into the front-row seats, tempers appeared to be cooling when Anthony came out of nowhere to throw a roundhouse right at the Knicks' Mardy Collins.

Anthony, who leads the league in scoring, was pushed away as the fight finally ended next at the other end of the court.

Minutes earlier, Knick coach Isiah Thomas reportedly warned Anthony not to go in the paint. After the fight calmed down, Thomas and Anthony were standing next to each other. What did Thomas say?

"I just said to him, 'You are up 20 with a minute-and-a-half to go,' " Thomas recounted. " 'You and [Marcus] Camby really shouldn't be in the game at that point in time.' We had surrendered and those guys shouldn't have even been in the game at that point in time. They were sticking it to us pretty good."

Anthony, who scored 34 in the 123-100 victory, declined to comment.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12172006/sports/knicks/unmellow_melo_facing_big_ban_knicks_andrew_marchan d.htm

Sports Illustrator
12-17-2006, 09:07 PM
"Last night's altercation with the Knicks escalated further than it should have. I take full responsibility for my actions in the matter. In the heat of the moment I let my emotions get the best of me. I apologize to the fans, the Denver Nuggets, the NBA, my mother and my family for the embarrassment I have caused them. I ask you all for your forgiveness.
"I also want to make a personal apology to Mardy Collins and his family. My actions were inexcusable, and I am sorry for making this an even more embarrassing situation.

"What makes this all the more painful is that this was one of the most important weeks of my life. I just realized one of my biggest dreams when we opened the Youth Center in Baltimore that bares my name. To see the community excited and hundreds of kids smiling was an incredible feeling. Now the thought of thousands of kids seeing this incident on TV pains me. This is not the example I want to set.

"It's my hope that we work to move forward from this event, and never let something like this happen again."
-- Carmelo Anthony

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4856095

DenButsu
12-18-2006, 05:39 AM
No matter how many jumpers Melo hits, most people will remember the sucker punch he threw this season. He just joined the ranks of punks like Ron Artest. Congrats.
Oh, and I could watch him run away from from Jared Jeffries all day. That was funny. What a little girl, he even has a hairdo.

pfffffffffffffffft.... whatever dude.

Collins totally mauled J.R. and he had every right to gets his lights f*&%ng punched out. Was it completely unprofessional for Carmelo to be the one to do it? Sure. But he sure as hell had it coming.

I only wish he'd clocked Isiah instead, since it was that cheap lowlife who ordered the hit in the first place.

No way Melo comes out of this looking like Artest. He was out of control, and had a disappointing display of anger and violence - but it was in well-placed retaliation to the more organized and deliberate thuggery and violence of the Knicks, - in the same way that nobody really blames the other players on a baseball team when they go after pitchers who intentionally hit batters, these guys watch each others' backs, and people understand that. This is a world apart from that whole Pacers fiasco.

I love it when dudes like you call pro athletes woosies, btw (as you sit hunched over your keyboard) - comic relief is always welcome here. :clap:

Sports Illustrator
12-18-2006, 06:37 PM
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/18/2006 01:53:11 PM MST

NBA commissioner David Stern announced this morning that Nuggets forward and NBA scoring leader Carmelo Anthony will be suspended for 15 games for his actions in the brawl Saturday night between the Nuggets and New York Knicks.

Also, the Nuggets' guard J.R. Smith has been suspended for 10 games, and Nene has been suspended one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

The Knicks and Nuggets organizations have each been fined $500,000 each.

From the Knicks, Nate Robinson has been suspended 10 games and Mardy Collins will miss six games. Also, Knicks forward Jared Jeffries has been suspended for four games and center Jerome James has been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.
There was no separate penalty for Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, who had warned Anthony not to go into the lane before the mayhem started Saturday night.

The fight broke out after Collins put a hard foul on J.R. Smith, who was driving for a layup with 1:15 to play in Denver's 123-100 victory.

During the fracas, Anthony punched Collins in the face then backpedaled across the floor.

"The NBA and its players represent a game of extraordinary skill, athleticism and grace, and, for good or bad, set an example for the entire basketball world, on and off the court," Stern said in a statement this morning.

"Players must take advantage of a break or pause in a heated situation to stop and restore order, instead of escalating the situation," Stern said.

He added: "It is our obligation to take the strongest possible steps to avoid such failures in the future and to make a statement to all who follow the game of basketball that we understand our obligations and take them seriously."

Ten players were ejected after the fight. It was the NBA's scariest scene since the brawl between Pacers players and Pistons fans in Detroit two years ago.

There was speculation Thomas would be penalized for his comments to Anthony. Stern acknowledged hearing about it, but said he relied only on "definitive information" when handing out punishments.

The punishments were announced before both teams were to play tonight - New York at home against Utah; Denver at home against Washington.

Stern, taking the unusual step of announcing his ruling in a conference call, said the fines to the organizations are meant to show he is serious about cleaning up the game.

"It's a more general message that I'm going to start holding our teams accountable," Stern said.

Collins prevented Smith from an easy basket by grabbing him by the neck and taking him to the floor. Smith rose and immediately started jawing with Collins, and Robinson jumped in to pull Smith away. Anthony shoved Robinson away, and Robinson and Smith then tumbled into the front row while fighting.
Just as things appeared to be calming down, Anthony threw a hard punch that floored Collins, and New York's Jared Jeffries sprinted from the baseline toward halfcourt in an effort to get at Anthony, but was tackled by a Denver player.

By the time security had finally contained Smith, they were nearly at the opposite end of the court from where the fighting started.

"I was very disappointed," Stern said. "Clearly, we're not getting through or players in certain circumstances just don't want to be restrained.

I would suggest that those players will not have long careers in the NBA." Stern also made it clear he was annoyed by comments from Thomas and the Knicks that the problems were caused by the Nuggets still having four starters on the floor late in a blowout. The commissioner said the only response is to say "nothing, or B, this is not something of which we can be proud or condone. That's not what we're about and that's not the example that we're setting." In Denver, Nuggets coach George Karl was irate with Thomas, who said today that Karl put his players in danger by leaving them on the floor too long. Karl accused Thomas of a "premediated" act, underscoring his disgust with the New York coach with expletives.
"It was directed by Isiah," he said during a shootaround. "I think his actions after the game were despicable. He made a bad situation worse. I'll swear on my children's life that I never thought about running up the score. I wanted to get a big win on the road." "My team has had trouble holding leads at the end of games," he added. "I didn't want the score to get under 10 points because if it would've gotten under 10 points it would've had a negative feeling on my team."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4861464

Sports Illustrator
12-19-2006, 08:39 PM
By Mark Kiszla
Article Last Updated: 12/18/2006 11:56:49 PM MST

Of all the tattoos engraved on the body of Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, disgraced and suspended 15 games by the NBA for fighting, there's one that speaks from the place where his persecuted heart is now: "Me against the world."

Basketball is a game of the street, as raw as a Spalding peeled of its orange skin from constant pounding on the playground blacktop.

No matter how many millions of endorsement dollars he earns or how many steps he takes on red carpets at Hollywood premieres, Anthony is proud he came up from the mean streets of Baltimore.

There is a fight going on here, in NBA arenas across America, with the blows far more wicked than the fist Anthony threw Saturday night during the Grapple in the Apple, when Melo jumped in the middle of an ugly melee between New York and Denver and escalated the violence by unleashing a roundhouse right at the head of Knicks reserve Mardy Collins.

On Monday, Melo got sucker-punched with a 15-game suspension by NBA commissioner David Stern.

Please, don't misunderstand my point. What Anthony did, letting his testosterone get the best of him, was puffed-up selfish and flat-out stupid, leaving teammates in the lurch after a display of machismo that wound up hurting only the Nuggets. Has Melo never heard of Kermit Washington and Rudy Tomjanovich? One dumb punch can ruin two lives.

"It was wrong. W-R-O-N-G," said Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien, describing Melo as a good dude who did something inexcusably bad. "Wrong should not only be in all capital letters, but underlined."

But in banning Anthony for what amounts to 30 days on the NBA calendar, it would be naive to think the league was only policing the game. Stern made an example of Melo for a Wonder Bread clientele that is uncomfortable when the soundtrack of basketball contains too much Jay-Z and not enough REO Speedwagon.

"That's a lot of bread," Celtics star Paul Pierce told reporters in Boston, as he was shocked at the severity of a penalty that will cost Anthony in excess of $750,000 in paychecks. "We might not see that man now until the All-Star Game. Fifteen games is what, a month? That's the season right there for that team, with one punch."

Their 117-108 win against Washington in the first game of Anthony's suspension notwithstanding, the Nuggets are now no shoo-in to make the playoffs in the rugged Western Conference. That's why the worst sin any athlete can commit is to get himself tossed from competition.

Unable to erase the tattoos or turn down the volume on the hip hop, Stern has decided to scrub his league clean of brawling.

"There are other sports that have fighting baked into them and others that are considerably more violent, but we have set up the goal of eliminating fighting from our game," Stern said.

Sanitizing the grit of the street from the NBA? Stern has a better chance of receiving an invitation to Anthony's wedding.

"Stern can't stop no man from fighting. A man is entitled to do whatever he wants to do. The only thing (Stern) can do is take money from him," said Nuggets forward Reggie Evans, who put on Anthony's No. 15 jersey in front of the home crowd at the conclusion of the game against the Wizards. "If Stern wants to stop the violence, he should go to the 'hood and talk to some kids."

The argot of the NBA is smack talk. Or perhaps you did not hear the bleep-filled tirade unleashed by Nuggets coach George Karl, convinced the instigator of the melee was Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, reported to have ordered a hard foul by Collins on Denver guard J.R. Smith as retribution for the visitors running up the score at Madison Square Garden.

"He's a jerk," Karl began, then went on to diss Thomas in terms that could turn a blue-streak-cursing sailor red with shame.

Did it ever occur to Karl that perhaps the emotional immaturity of his star player and his team starts at the top? A year ago, this same Denver team embarrassed itself when forward Kenyon Martin created such a scene in the playoffs he was suspended for insubordination. Who runs this asylum?

On his first day of house arrest by the NBA, Anthony sat in his multimillion-dollar mansion, according to the player's agent. This suspension won't kill Anthony. One of these years, he will stand on the steps of the Hall of Fame and this will all seem funny.

But what hurt the worst from Melo's punch was the collateral damage.

Like it or not, the Nuggets are the new bad boys of the NBA.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4864966

bosox4416
12-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I think the acquisition of A.I is going to be huge for Melo's success..

Sports Illustrator
12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
New Nugget to Melo: "We're going to make it work"
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 12/20/2006 12:31:26 AM MST

At 3 p.m. Tuesday, about an hour after the news reached Carmelo Anthony's ears that the Nuggets' trade for Allen Iverson was complete, he dialed his newest teammate.

"I talked to him today," Anthony told The Denver Post on Tuesday night. "He said, 'We're going to make it work.' People are saying that we can't play together. He was saying he's tired of doing everything himself."

Anthony (31.6 scoring average) and Iverson (31.2) are the top scorers in the NBA. Critics contend there won't be enough basketballs for the two to maintain their scoring averages on the same team. Anthony says they can.

Asked if either one of their scoring averages will suffer, Anthony said: "I don't think so. I don't think so.

Not at all.
"A guy like that who has to do everything - score, pass the ball, play defense - he had to do everything by himself," Anthony said. "For him to come to a team like this, where we have (Marcus) Camby, Nene, myself, J.R. (Smith); we like to get up and down the court, and our style of play I think is going to help him out where he doesn't have to do too much.

"And plus it takes way more off my shoulders. I'm looking forward to that."

Nuggets coach George Karl said he expects both players to put aside their scoring prowess for the good of winning basketball games.

"I think both players want to concede some of their statistical glory," Karl said.

The coach then took a harder-line stance.

"Who cares?" he said. "Why ever talk about it? Whatever it takes to do, I think they'll do."

At the moment there's not much Anthony can do while he serves his 15-game suspension for punching New York Knicks guard Mardy Collins during an on-court fight Saturday. Anthony can't play until Jan. 20 when Denver travels to Houston.

Anthony said his reasoning that the two will flourish in each other's company comes from playing with Iverson on the 2004 Olympic team.

"Just seeing his game, seeing how hard he worked out there ..." Anthony said. "There's going to be some big things here."

The Nuggets star wasn't always sold on the notion that Iverson would be here. He said he was in a wait-and-see mode as most everyone else had to be while details were worked out.

He said he had no say in the ultimate decision, but Nuggets management did ask him his opinion of Iverson, who has many negative items floating around that sometimes counteract his all-star level play on the court.

"Rumors were lurking," Anthony said. "You hear he was coming here, you hear he was going to Minnesota. But what can you say? We're happy to have him."

But for the next month Anthony will watch as Iverson gets acquainted with a new team and city. In the meantime, the Nuggets forward says he intends to return at just as high a level as he left.

"I'm working," Anthony said. "I'm in the gym all day. I'm practicing with the team. I'm doing my individual workouts at night. I'm not worried about (rust).

"I'll be back better than ever when I get back."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4869654

Sports Illustrator
12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
By Marc J. Spears and Patrick Saunders
Denver Post Staff Writers
Article Last Updated: 12/20/2006 10:32:39 PM MST

Denver's big snowstorm Wednesday likely made the suspensions of Carmelo Anthony and J.R. Smith a little longer on the calendar.

Anthony received a 15-game suspension and Smith 10 games for their part in a brawl Saturday. Anthony, who isn't certain if he will appeal the ruling, was projected to return to action Jan. 20 at Houston.

Smith, who has filed an appeal, was expected to return Jan. 8 against Milwaukee.

But after Wednesday's game against Phoenix was postponed, Anthony's return could be pushed back to Jan. 22, against visiting Memphis, and Smith could return Jan. 10 against visiting San Antonio. That scenario depends on the NBA not scheduling a makeup date for the Phoenix game before Jan. 20.

Anthony spoke to players' association president Billy Hunter on Wednesday about a possible appeal. Anthony's agent, Calvin Andrews, said no decision had been reached.

Hunter expressed optimism Anthony could get his suspension reduced if he appeals. Anthony's appeal would be viewed by an arbitrator because the penalty is longer than 12 games.

"I've indicated to (the NBA) that I thought it was excessive," Hunter said of Anthony's suspension. "I'm prepared to do what he wants to do. It's his call. I can't do an appeal without a player's call."

Because Smith's suspension is less than 12 games, NBA commissioner David Stern will rule on his appeal, not an arbiter. But Stern isn't expected to budge. Hunter, however, said Smith could receive back pay from the appeal after this season.

Because of Anthony's suspension, Northwest Airlines has removed all December issues of its in-travel magazine, "WorldTraveler," which included a positive feature story about Anthony.

A Northwest statement read: "Northwest does not want to appear to condone in any way the behavior of some of the players during Saturday's game, including Mr. Anthony."

Said Andrews: "It's their prerogative to pull it off the plane. I just don't think it was necessary to put out a statement. It was a slap in Melo's face."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4876656

Sports Illustrator
12-21-2006, 08:27 PM
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 12/21/2006 03:49:51 PM MST

Carmelo Anthony's agent, Calvin Andrews, said today the Nuggets forward doesn't plan on appealing his recent 15-game suspension.

Anthony was given the suspension for throwing a punch during a brawl late in the Nuggets' game against the New York Knicks Dec. 16.

"The bottom line as of right now there is no plan in doing an appeal," Andrews said. "He wants to take this heat. If this is what the commissioner hands out he's willing to take the responsibility. He did something wrong. We're not going to justify what he did. He did something wrong. He has 20 days to figure something out, but right now he's not doing an appeal. He's going to take the punishment like a man."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4881104

thedecemberist9
12-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Melo is so good it's incredible. And now with the help of AI, the Nuggets will reign. no homo

I c a championship in the nuggets future

Sports Illustrator
12-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Melo is so good it's incredible. And now with the help of AI, the Nuggets will reign. no homo

I c a championship in the nuggets future

thedecemberist9, welcome to the Denver Nuggets forum. I hope to see you in here active as I hope to read more of your posts here in the Denver Nuggets forum.

And about Carmelo Anthony together with AI, your probably right as long as they prove to be better then all of the other teams and for that to happen, the team needs to get the good chemistry going.

Sports Illustrator
12-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Forward expects no problems meshing with guard Iverson

By Clay Latimer, Rocky Mountain News
December 23, 2006
It didn't take long for Allen Iverson to pick up his first assist with the Nuggets.
Before he got on a flight to Colorado, the veteran point guard was on the phone with Carmelo Anthony, advising his new teammate on how to deal with a 15-game suspension.

"He said, 'Don't even worry about it. It happened. You can't turn back the hands of time. Just move on.' And he made sure to (say), 'Just don't let it carry over' when I get back," Anthony said after a Friday shootaround.

"I told him, 'It's going to be hard for me to watch you in a Denver Nuggets uniform when I'm not even out there.' He's going to try and hold it down until me and J.R. (Smith) and (Marcus) Camby get back."

Iverson is one of the best one- man shows in basketball, a showstopper who commands attention, to say nothing of the ball. He hoisted up 300 more shots than his closest Philadelphia 76ers teammate three years ago.

By the time Anthony returns, probably Jan. 22, Iverson might have reshaped the Nuggets in his own overpowering image, a prospect that worries some but not the two who matter most.

"Everybody is saying how we can't play together," Anthony said. "We laughed at that. When you have two guys like that, a guy like him and a guy like myself, how can we not play good together?

"A guy like A.I. is self-explanatory. Everybody thinks he's just shoot-first. (But) he averaged eight to nine assists a game with Philadelphia, so imagine . . . him here with J.R., myself, Camby. . . .

"(It's going to be) run-and- gun. Wide-open shots for him, for myself. I think the guy who's going to (benefit) the most from the trade is J.R. He's going to be wide open."

Added Iverson, who finished with 22 points and 10 assists in a 101-96 loss against the Sacramento Kings in his debut: "Melo's going to be Melo and Allen Iverson's going to be Allen Iverson. And the rest of our teammates are going to be themselves. And we've got to blend all that into a championship team."

Coach George Karl bristles at the notion Anthony and Iverson, ranked first and second in the NBA in scoring, must alter their games.

"I think it's so overblown that players have to have this dramatic adjustment. It's not even close to dramatic," he said. "It's a positive adjustment; it's an opportunity to play with a great player. The opportunity for an older player to mentor a younger player in scoring points. I mean, there are so many more positives. To magnify this . . .

"It's basketball. Basketball is played best when it's played simple and together."

Iverson and Anthony met several years ago but formed an enduring bond at the 2004 Olympics, a turbulent time for each.

Iverson arrived at the first practice in a stretch limousine, a distressing sign to Team USA coach Larry Brown, who hoped to see Iverson emerge as a selfless team leader.

When Iverson arrived 5 minutes late for a team meeting with teammates LeBron James and Amare Stoudemire, Brown benched all three for the final tuneup game.

Anthony ended up in Brown's doghouse in Athens, irritating the coach with his poor practice habits and overall comportment.

"Playing with (Iverson) in the Olympics, I really found out about his game, about him as a person, also," Anthony said. "We clicked. Even though we didn't win . . . and there was a lot of hoopla, we clicked.

"I think we're going to click as soon as I get back. A lot of people say we're not going to click, that it's going to take a couple of months. (But) he sat out, I sat out. We both know what we want."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5234148,00.html

Sports Illustrator
01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 01/07/2007 05:53:27 PM MST

The biggest question surrounding Carmelo Anthony's all-star status if he isn't voted a starter by the fans is: How will his suspension affect the coaches' voting?

For Utah coach Jerry Sloan, not much.

The longtime Jazz coach said he would vote for Anthony, despite the 15-game suspension the Nuggets star is serving for punching New York's Mardy Collins during a Dec. 16 game.

"I think you have to go on who he is and what he's able to do," Sloan said. "You've got to look and see where his team is and if he's responsible for that. If there's somebody ahead of him, you'd probably take another look. But he's a great player. He deserves to be in the All-Star Game."

Anthony went into Saturday night's games leading the NBA in scoring at 31.6 points per game. Also going into Saturday, the Nuggets are 13-9 with Anthony, and 3-5 without him.

Sloan did say the suspension should be factored in, however.

"That has a bearing," Sloan said. "I can't hide from it, and I don't think he should hide from it. It'll either make you stronger or weaker. He seems to be the kind of person that it would make him stronger."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4965876

Sports Illustrator
01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Suspended Nuggets maintain intensity, rapport in workouts

January 7, 2007
Bent low in a defensive stance, Carmelo Anthony crowded J.R. Smith near the three-point line.
Smith, trying to create space for himself, countered by swinging his arms across his body in a clockwise motion, inadvertently striking Anthony on the left temple.

With physical workouts like this, who needs boxing lessons?

Smith was apologetic as his best friend took a standing 8-count, and Anthony returned to the court within a few minutes during a recent practice session that has become commonplace the past three weeks.

This workout took place in a high school gym in Los Angeles, but the locations are irrelevant.

The primary objectives for Anthony and Smith are always the same: sharpen their skills and maintain their conditioning while serving respective 15- and 10-game suspensions for their roles in Denver's Dec. 16 fight with the New York Knicks.

"They've come every single day with the same type of intensity, the same type of energy," said Nuggets assistant Jamahl Mosley, an active participant in the workouts. "They challenge each other, they push each other to go and work. In spite of the situation, they're still staying active and motivating each other. It's impressive."

Since his arrival in a July 20 trade with the Chicago Bulls, Smith has become a fast friend with Anthony, and their relationship has been strengthened through adversity.

They often spend 2 to 3 hours working out together on game days, and they watch the games together on TV in accordance with the NBA's rule banning suspended players from the arena within 2 hours of tip-off.

"I think game days is harder than anything," Anthony said. "I come in here in good spirits during shootaround, and then after shootaround, it's like, 'What am I going to do now? What's next?' I'll be glad when it's over."

Anthony, 22, likens his suspension to a jail sentence - "I'm doing a bit. No early release." - and he and Smith, 21, track their time by crossing out each day on a calendar.

Tonight's game against the Milwaukee Bucks will mark the end of Smith's suspension. He will return to the lineup Wednesday against the San Antonio Spurs.

Asked if it will be tough to be left behind, Anthony shakes his head.

"No, because once I know he's back, I know my day's coming," said Anthony, whose return is scheduled for Jan. 22 against Memphis. "I think it's going to be more exciting than hard because he's getting out there on the court and pieces (are) going to start falling into place."

Smith said he plans to continue the individual workouts with Anthony even after his suspension is lifted.

"I'll still be there for him," Smith said. "I think I'm going to continue my routine throughout this whole season because I think it's making me a better player."

Smith will get no argument from coach George Karl, who preached the importance of practice and daily improvement to his young shooting guard early in the season.

The ability of Anthony and Smith to stay sharp was evident to Karl in a recent scrimmage.

"They played the other day against our guys. They're fresh, they're rested and their bodies showed it," Karl said. "I don't think they've lost any edge."

The biggest benefit for Smith might be defensively. He has spent much of the past three weeks playing one-on-one against the NBA's leading scorer, while giving up 2 inches in the process.

"When I come back, I'll be ready to guard Kobe (Bryant) and Tracy (McGrady) and those guys," Smith said, citing two players with 14 All-Star appearances between them.

At this point, the Nuggets are in need of defensive and offensive contributions alike. They are 3-6 without Anthony and Smith, and Karl has used seven starting combinations in that span.

Karl said he probably will shuffle the lineup again tonight as the Nuggets (16-15) try to end a five-game losing streak. Yakhouba Diawara probably will continue to come off the bench, and Julius Hodge could get his second career start.

"This team is kind of in a state of suspension," Karl said. "I enjoy coming to the building because they play hard. They're all frustrated because we can't figure out how to win."

The Nuggets spent much of Sunday watching video during a "critique" session. Players were encouraged to speak their minds, and Karl came away with a philosophical outlook.

"We're in the process of growing and getting better," he said. "John Wooden always said ignore the scoreboard if you want to be a great coach. I think that's what I should do right now."

Karl might be able to ignore the scoreboard, but he - like Anthony and Smith - will be keeping a close eye on the calendar.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5264320,00.html

Sports Illustrator
01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Spurs' Popovich would give Anthony all-star nod
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Created: 01/10/2007 11:37:04 PM MST

Just as Utah coach Jerry Sloan said he would not hold Denver forward Carmelo Anthony's 15-game suspension against him in any All-Star Game voting scenario, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said the same Wednesday.

If Anthony is not voted a starter by the fans for next month's All-Star Game in Las Vegas, Popovich would not take the punishment into account on his ballot.

"I think you look more at how a guy's played," Popovich said. "If he missed most of the season, what kind of season he was having? I don't think it will affect him that much.

"He regrets what he did more than anybody. He made a mistake. It's over. He moves on. He'll be fine because he's a smart young man and he understands what happened and he knows how he wants to conduct himself. I think you've got to put that away and move forward."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4990180

Sports Illustrator
01-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Practice might not make perfect, but it's on the way
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 01/15/2007 11:43:07 PM MST

Portland, Ore. - So what now?

Rest. And practice. And Melo. Yes, Melo.

The Nuggets don't play another game until Friday, but rest assured, this is one of the team's biggest weeks of the season.

On the agenda is practice. That's right. We're talking about practice - and lots of it. But never has this group looked forward to it this much. And that is mostly because Carmelo Anthony returns for full-time work, meaning at some point he'll be placed on the same team with Allen Iverson, J.R. Smith, Steve Blake or whomever coach George Karl wants to get time playing together.

The Nuggets' star forward has served 13 games of his 15-game suspension and makes his "debut" with the team in six days. To this point, he has been kept on opposite teams in practice while the players who were going to see game time during this stretch got used to one another.

But even then, Anthony impressed.

"He's been good," Karl said. "His individual workouts have been tremendous. The next three days are probably going to be the most important. In the next three days, we'll probably have a half-a-game scrimmage, maybe more, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday."

On the opposite side of this four-day downtime is four games in five days, beginning with LeBron James and Cleveland on Friday at the Pepsi Center. The Nuggets travel to Houston to face the Rockets on Saturday, then return home for Anthony's return game against Memphis on Monday. The Nuggets finish the stretch at Seattle on Tuesday.

Pretty much every game is pivotal for the Nuggets (18-17), who not only are 4 1/2 games behind slumping Utah for the Northwest Division lead but also trail Minnesota, which, on the strength of three straight victories, is 20-16 and only three games behind the Jazz.

Including the four-games-in-five-days stretch, 18 of the Nuggets' next 24 games are against Western Conference competition, which means there isn't much time or room for error when it comes to staying in the playoff picture. Denver is in the eighth playoff spot in the West.
So the Nuggets must get it together quickly. This week also should allow some beat-up players a chance to heal a bit. Iverson is battling a toe injury. Center Marcus Camby continues to play through a painful, but healing, broken hand. Forward Eduardo Najera has hamstring and shoulder injuries. Nene has a knee injury that is likely to limit his time and nag him the rest of the season. And so on.

"Hopefully guys can get healthy," Camby said. "We've got a big end of the week coming up. ... So our work is cut out for us at the end of this week."

It also allows the newly acquired Blake to get comfortable with his teammates. Blake has been impressive in his first two games with the Nuggets, averaging 19 points and five assists and shooting 67 percent from both 2-point and 3-point range.

"He's just out there making so many good decisions," Iverson said. "Steve can score and can run the team. When you get a guy that can shoot like that, you just utilize him as much as you can. He's just a good all-around player, period."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5021450

Sports Illustrator
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
By Demetria Gallegos
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 01/16/2007 10:11:49 AM MST

The Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony was selected the 2006 USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year by USA Basketball today.

Anthony was the USA's leading scorer at the 2006 FIBA World Championship, averaging nearly 20 points per game.

He was the only American named to the five-man All-Tournament Team, where Team USA won the bronze.

"I'm very honored to receive this award," Anthony said. in a statement.

"I worked extremely hard over the summer to prepare because I take great pride in playing for my country. I also want to thank my teammates.

Anthony said he looks forward to playing for the gold medal in 2008.

"The USA Basketball Executive Committee identified a well-deserving athlete for this award," said USA Basketball Executive Director Jim Tooley. "Carmelo was a team tri-captain and the USA's leading scorer.

The honor positions Anthony for the 2006 U.S. Olympic Committee award, which will be announced later this month.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5023778

Sports Illustrator
01-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Nuggets forward is now eligible for 2006 U.S. Olympic Committee Award

COLORADO SPRINGS, Jan. 16 -- The Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony, who helped lead the 2006 USA Men's Senior National Team to a 13-1 overall mark and a bronze medal and an 8-1 record at the 2006 FIBA World Championship, was selected the 2006 USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year, USA Basketball today announced.
"I'm very honored to receive this award," Anthony said. "I want to thank Mr. Colangelo and Coach K and his staff for giving me the opportunity to play for this team. I worked extremely hard over the summer to prepare because I take great pride in playing for my country. I also want to thank my teammates. They're a great group of guys and we had a lot of fun playing together. I look forward to continuing to work hard for USA Basketball and helping us get that gold medal in '08."

The USA's leading scorer at the 2006 FIBA World Championship averaging 19.9 ppg., Anthony was the lone American named to the five-man 2006 FIBA World Championship All-Tournament Team.

"The USA Basketball Executive Committee identified a well-deserving athlete for this award," said USA Basketball Executive Director Jim Tooley. "Carmelo was a team tri-captain and the USA's leading scorer. His outstanding performance at the World Championship was a major factor in the team's 8-1 record and bronze medal finish. All of us at USA Basketball are proud of the leadership he provided for the team and the way in which he represented his country."

Selected by the USA Basketball Executive Committee as the recipient of its Male Athlete of the Year award, USA Basketball also submitted Anthony for the U.S. Olympic Committee's 2006 Male Athlete of the Year award, which will be announced by the USOC in January 2007.

"Carmelo was on a mission to make our team and he did much more than that, he led our team. He had a terrific summer with the USA team and demonstrated his overall basketball talents and his leadership. In my mind he is deserving and a great choice for this award," stated USA Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo.

"Carmelo was the ultimate team player," offered USA Senior Men's National Team head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "He had an outstanding summer, starting with our training camp in Las Vegas and ending with being a dominant player in the FIBA World Championship. He was a man after victories and showed how classy and mature he was in our one defeat. I love the way he plays the game, but I love the way he carries himself as a leader on the Senior National Team even better. He is very deserving of this award. With Carmelo, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James as the core of our National Team over the next two years, we have a lot to look forward to in USA Basketball."

Anthony, a tri-captain of the USA World Championship Team, averaged 19.9 ppg., 3.7 rpg., 1.9 spg. and 1.4 apg. He shot 50.4 percent from the field and 44.0 percent from 3-point, and his 179 points scored and 19.9 ppg. rank as the second most by a USA player in World Championship history, trailing only Luther Burden's 182 points and 20.2 ppg. average in 1974.

Among all 2006 World Championship participants, Anthony ranked sixth in scoring, ninth in 3-point field goals made (22) and tied for ninth in steals (1.9 spg.).

Anthony, the team's high scorer in five World Championship contests, opened preliminary group play with 21 points as the USA team earned a 111-100 victory over Puerto Rico, and in a hard-fought 94-85 victory over Italy, Anthony scored a USA World Championship record 35 points on 13-of-18 shooting from the field.

Advancing to the eighth-finals and faced with a win-or-go-home scenario, Anthony helped the USA claim its sixth straight win with an impressive 20-point outing against Australia. Moving on to the quarterfinals, Anthony tallied 19 points as the U.S. squad recorded a win over Germany. Next meeting an undefeated Greek team in semifinals play, the USA gold medal hopes ended when, despite a 27-point effort from Anthony, Greece posted a 101-95 victory over the Americans.

Prior to the 2006 FIBA World Championship, the USA cruised to 5-0 in its series of exhibition games, with Anthony averaging a team-leading 16.8 ppg. on 56.4 percent shooting from the field. Anthony led the USA scoring in three of the team's five exhibition games. In the USA's 114-69 win over Puerto Rico in Las Vegas, Nev., Anthony tallied 18 points, he scored 16 points in a 90-86 win over Brazil in Guangzhou, China, and 19 points as the USA topped Lithuania 111-88 in Seoul, South Korea.

Teammates of Anthony on the 2006-08 USA Senior National Team are: Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chauncey Billups (Detroit Pistons); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Shawn Marion (Phoenix Suns); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Adam Morrison (Charlotte Bobcats); Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers); Chris Paul (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets); Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics); J.J. Redick (Orlando Magic); Michael Redd (Milwaukee Bucks); Luke Ridnour (Seattle SuperSonics); Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns); and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

The 2006-08 Men's Senior National Team and Duke University head coach Mike Krzyzewski was assisted by Jim Boeheim of Syracuse University, Mike D'Antoni of the Phoenix Suns and Nate McMillan of the Portland Trail Blazers.

Named a member of the 2006 All-NBA third team, Anthony helped lead the 2005-06 Denver Nuggets to the Western Conference Northwest Divisional title, a 44-38 regular season record and the 2006 NBA Playoffs. He averaged a career-best 26.5 ppg., 4.9 rpg., 2.7 apg. and 1.1 spg., while shooting career bests of 48.1 percent from the field and 80.8 percent from the foul line. Anthony finished the season ranked eighth overall in NBA scoring, fourth in field goals made, fifth in field goals attempted, seventh in free throws made and attempted and 19th in total efficiency points.

Anthony previously helped the USA capture bronze at the 2004 Olympics, playing in seven of the USA's nine games, averaging 2.4 ppg. As a member of the 2004 Senior National Team, Anthony averaged a team third-best 10.1 ppg., 2.8 rpg. and 2.0 apg. as the U.S. squad compiled a 5-1 record.

In 2002, Anthony was a member of the USA Junior World Championship Qualifying Team that finished with a 4-1 record and a bronze medal in Isla de Margarita, Venezuela. Starting all five games, he averaged a team-leading 15.6 ppg., a team second-best 6.2 rpg. and 1.8 apg. while shooting 54.1 percent from the field. Anthony tallied 23 points in a win over Argentina, 21 points and seven rebounds in a win over Mexico and 13 points and 10 boards in a loss to Venezuala.

Anthony also participated in the 2001 USA Basketball Men's Youth Development Festival for the silver medalist East Team and averaged a team-high 24.0 ppg., tying with LeBron James for the Festival's best scoring average. Shooting a Festival best 66.1 percent (39-of-59 FGs) from the field, Anthony also collected 4.3 rpg.

In capturing the 2005 USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year honor, Anthony enters into the impressive company of previous honorees.

In its 27th year, the USA Basketball Athlete of the Year award has been garnered by notable athletes such as Shelden Williams (2005); Sean May (2004 co-recipient); Chris Paul (2004 co-recipient); Tim Duncan (2003); Reggie Miller (2002); Chris Duhon (2001); Alonzo Mourning (2000 and 1990); Gary Payton (1999); Elton Brand (1998); Earl Boykins (1997); Scottie Pippen (1996 and as a member of the 1992 U.S. Olympic Team); Ray Allen (1995); Shaquille O'Neal (1994); Michael Finley (1993); Christian Laettner (1991); Larry Johnson (1989); Dan Marjerle (1988); David Robinson (1986 and as a member of the 1992 U.S. Olympic Team); Chuck Person (1985); Michael Jordan (1984 co-recipient, 1983 and as a member of the 1992 U.S. Olympic Team), Sam Perkins (1984 co-recipient); Glenn Rivers (1982); Kevin Boyle (1981); and Isiah Thomas (1980).

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/anthony_usa_POY_011607.html

Sports Illustrator
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
As Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony nears the end of his 15-game suspension, things are starting to look up for him.

The Denver Post has learned that at least 13 out of 14 Western Conference coaches say Anthony's suspension stemming from a Dec. 16 fight would not have a negative influence on whether they would vote for him as an all-star reserve. He was also named the 2006 USA Basketball male athlete of the year Tuesday. And even Apple recently showed confidence in Anthony by showcasing his iTunes list online.

"I thought I lost a lot of people out there," Anthony said. "But I think everyone understands what I was doing before the suspension. Everybody who has played the game of basketball before knows how intense it is. I just want to say thank you to all the coaches for still having faith in me and not let the incident that happened in New York cause them to turn their heads on me."

Anthony isn't expected to be voted in as a starter by the fans, but West coaches vote for the reserves, who will be announced Feb. 1. The game is Feb. 18 in Las Vegas.

"I wouldn't hold it against him at all. I'd look at it like an injury or just something else that kept him out of some games," Los Angeles Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. said. "I can't say what anyone else would do, how anyone else would vote. But I look at the caliber of the player and does he deserve to be there."

From interviews done by The Denver Post, with help from reporters in other Western Conference markets, in addition to Dunleavy, the other pro-Anthony coaches include San Antonio's Gregg Popovich, Houston's Jeff Van Gundy, New Orleans-Oklahoma City's Byron Scott, Minnesota's Dwane Casey, Memphis' Tony Barone Sr., Utah's Jerry Sloan, Portland's Nate McMillan, Seattle's Bob Hill, Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni, Golden State's Don Nelson, Dallas' Avery Johnson and the Los Angeles Lakers' Phil Jackson. Sacramento's Eric Musselman declined comment. Such support for the NBA's leading scorer could be instrumental in Anthony becoming a first-time all-star.

"I don't think the situation he got involved in in New York would have anything to do with me not voting," said Jackson, who says Anthony has a "great chance" of making it.

Nelson said: "I would vote for him and I will vote for him."

Anthony was averaging 31.6 points per game, scored at least 30 points in 17 of 22 games and scored a season-high 42 on Dec. 15 against Boston. He will be able to play in six games before the coach's final votes are tallied.

"Carmelo had a moment that anyone could have had," said Casey, who plans on voting for Anthony. "He is a good person. It had no affect on me whatsoever. He is one of the most talented players in the league."

As far as potential challenges for Anthony, both Johnson and Jackson mentioned competition at the forward spot from Phoenix's Shawn Marion and Dallas' Josh Howard; Scott mentioned his play after returning, and Barone brought up missed production.

"(Anthony) is one of the superstars in this league who has been underrated. The games he's missed might affect his chances some," Barone said. "The production mode over that period of time, and I'm sure he would have produced, but you don't see it in the paper. But it still won't affect whether I'd vote for him."

Anthony led 2006 USA Basketball to a bronze medal at the world championship. He averaged a USA-best 19.9 points and was the lone American named to the five-man world championship team.

"It's an honor," Anthony said. "From going through what I went through in '04 (during the Athens Olympics) to coming back and winning that award feels great."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5027411

Sports Illustrator
01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
January 17, 2007
Carmelo Anthony says he's in the best shape of his life.
Thirty-one days without being hacked, elbowed and hip-checked will have that effect on a confident 22-year-old who understandably feels a sense of invincibility.

The Nuggets certainly will benefit from his swagger - and, more importantly, his scoring - when he returns from a 15-game suspension next week, but coach George Karl cautions that it probably won't be a seamless transition.

Anthony has not played since Dec. 16, the date of Denver's infamous tussle with the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Seven players subsequently were suspended, with Anthony drawing the stiffest penalty for throwing a punch at Knicks rookie Mardy Collins.

When he returns Monday night against the Memphis Grizzlies, 36 days will have passed since Anthony suited up for an NBA game.

"Don't think the switch is going to turn on immediately when Melo gets back," Karl said after an evening practice Tuesday.

"I think Melo's going to have a transitional period of time of getting back to having the edge and playing the game with the guys. He's got to be patient with that, but we can't be too patient, because we don't have a lot of time."

In 13 games without their leading scorer, the Nuggets are 5-8 and have lost two of three since guard J.R. Smith returned from his 10-game suspension. Showing signs of rust, Smith is 14-of-43 from the floor since his return.

"I think J.R. saw that even though he thought he was in shape, he probably wasn't in game shape and he wasn't in the feel of the game," Karl said. "No matter what you practice, the game is probably faster and more physical than what you practice."

Familiarity also will be a factor.

In the wake of Anthony's suspension, the Nuggets acquired seven-time All-Star guard Allen Iverson and less-heralded point guard Steve Blake.

Blake and Anthony were paired together for much of practice Tuesday, and Iverson and Anthony likely will share their scrimmage minutes over the next two days.

"It feels great," Anthony said. "I'm starting to see the light now. We've got all this week to get some work in. It feels good getting back out there and trying to get back into the flow of things."

Though Anthony still must sit out back-to-back games Friday against Cleveland and Saturday against Houston, a sense of normalcy is returning to Denver's locker room and practice court.

For that, Karl is grateful.

"The suspension has lingered heavier and longer than I thought it would," Karl said. "Thirty-eight days seems to be an extremely long time, and I think it's going to affect Melo. Being out of the game that long and not playing at the edge a pro game's played at . . . it's going to be interesting.

"We need him and he knows we need him. I think the record shows we're struggling a little bit without him. I think we've gotten some good things out of the experiment, but it's time to get back to who we really are."

The dark days of Denver's suspended animation could prove costly when the playoff push arrives in April. The Nuggets remain only 4 1/2 games behind Utah in the Northwest Division, but they are eighth in the cutthroat Western Conference.

Denver has made the playoffs in each of Anthony's first three NBA seasons, only to get bounced in the first round. A similar scenario could loom if the Nuggets have to face Phoenix, Dallas or San Antonio as a No. 7 or 8 seed.

"It's going to be tough," Denver center Marcus Camby said. "We just have to find a way to build some momentum and try to (move) up. We don't want to be the eighth seed once again. We want to find a way to get home court, but if not, just have some momentum going towards the playoffs."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5285029,00.html

DenButsu
01-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Well, this may not apply to the overall Western Conference picture, but considering only the NW division, and the fact that when the suspension started things looked like this:

Utah 17 wins in 23 games (.739)
Denver 13 wins in 22 games (.590)

...which I think is 3.5 games back just one less than where we're at now...

We could be in a whole lot worse shape than we are. Hell, if the playoffs started today, we'd be in... I'm sure many would have doubted the Nuggets would be in this position at this point, even taking AI into account...

wtb2023
01-18-2007, 11:15 AM
when does melo return again?

sorry, i didnt really feel like looking for it. i thought it was the 20th but wasnt sure.

Sports Illustrator
01-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Considering fans rose to their feet when Nuggets guard J.R. Smith returned last week from a 10-game suspension, it's safe to say forward Carmelo Anthony will get a standing ovation Monday at the Pepsi Center when he comes back from a 15-game penalty.
Hall of Famer and ESPN analyst Bill Walton wonders why.

"Why would the fans give him a standing ovation?" Walton said. "I don't understand. He hurt his team by getting suspended."

Anthony was suspended along with Smith for their roles in a Dec. 16 brawl. With two games left, the Nuggets are 5-8 during Anthony's absence.

Anthony declined comment. Nuggets coach George Karl didn't disagree with what Walton said.

"That's kind of how I feel," Karl said. "There's a balance between how hard you want to be on Melo to make sure he understands what he did and his responsibility. But there's also enthusiasm that we need him. I think it's a little bit of both."

Walton was mikeside for Denver's Jan. 10 home game against San Antonio and was surprised Smith got a standing ovation. Walton will broadcast the Nuggets' game Friday against Cleveland, but not Anthony's return game, against Memphis.

"Those are (Anthony's) fans," Nuggets guard Allen Iverson said when asked about Walton's comments. "(A standing ovation is) up to the people, how they feel about him. It's not up to nobody else. It's what the fan feels in their heart.

"Everybody makes mistakes. A true fan can always forgive. A person can always forgive. It should be like that. I don't think he should lose any fans because of an incident like that. Hopefully, the people will stick by him and stay loyal to him. I'd be happy to see the fans embrace him like the way they have been."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5287802,00.html

DenButsu
01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone, be sure to check out the poll I made over in the NBA Forums section about how many games out of the first 15 after Melo gets back the Nuggets will win (i put it there just to try to get a wider range of opinions than we might see here in our own fan corner, and also to try to get a few more votes).

It's right here (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76767).

onetwo88
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/anthony-letter-012107.shtml

A real letter from melo

Sports Illustrator
01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Three days after punching New York Knicks guard Mardy Collins, Carmelo Anthony was in his house - for the third consecutive day.

Just sitting. Thinking. Watching TV.

It was unusual because the Nuggets' 22-year-old star forward is usually a man of the people. But he was apprehensive about coming out. He wasn't sure what to expect after fans nationwide watched seemingly endless replays of him losing his cool, which resulted in the NBA slapping him with a 15-game suspension for fighting.

The people loved him before, but how much now?

On that third day, a mandatory appearance at a corporate outing was Anthony's first chance to find out.

"I didn't know how people were going to take it," Anthony said. "I was nervous, just walking in there seeing the people, especially from a big-time sponsor."

What he received during that meet-and-greet in his first time out of his house was hope. Adults forgave him. Kids still loved him.

"Everywhere I go, the majority of kids, they tell me I'm still their hero, I'm still their role model and they can't wait until I get back out there on the court," Anthony said. "That gets my day going."

It had to.

Anthony, the Nuggets' leader and the NBA's leading scorer, returns to the Pepsi Center court for the first time since his suspension Monday against Memphis. But to this point, his days have mostly just bored him.

"It's been tough, man," Anthony said. "Some days are better than others. Some days I just feel I don't know what the next thing is, like I'm just floating and don't know what's going to happen to me next. Some days I feel good. Some days I'm down and some days I'm up and high, just doing whatever; having fun. Some days I just sit in the house and watch TV Land all day."

Impulsive act

He remains a work in progress, still prone to making decisions a man 10 years his elder learns to avoid.
His latest came Dec. 16, when Collins knocked Anthony's teammate, J.R. Smith, out of the air on a dunk attempt near the end of a Denver rout.

Collins talked trash. Anthony punched him, then backpedaled away. The video has been played and replayed countless times. Anthony has played and replayed the moment countless times in his own mind.

"You know, I try to tell myself we all make mistakes," he said. "And this is a mistake. I gotta try to, well, I have to put it in the past. One thing I learned from this is you always gotta think before you act. You can't just go out there and do something and then not think about the consequences until a couple of days later. You got to think about it first."

When he steps on an NBA floor for what will be the first time in 37 days, Anthony is looking forward to truly taking the first step in putting it all behind him.

"You don't have to make mistakes," said teammate Allen Iverson, who has had his own share of mishaps in his career. "But I think going through things, it just helps you become a better person. It just helps you become wiser because you're familiar with situations that were negative. You overcome things. That's when you're challenged as a man."

Anthony calls this the most challenging time of his career.

"This has probably been the toughest," he said. "I've been through a lot of stuff. As I was going through all of that stuff I went through a couple of years ago, I still had a chance to get out on the court and play."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5055403

Sports Illustrator
01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 01/21/2007 11:56:40 PM MST

Houston - As each Nuggets player looked at his cellphone late Saturday night, he had a simple text message saying thanks from excited returning star Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony, the NBA's leading scorer, will be on the court against Memphis tonight in his first game after serving a 15-game suspension for fighting against New York on Dec. 16.

The Nuggets went 7-8 without Anthony but have won three straight games, including Saturday's 121-113 overtime win at Houston.

Nuggets coach George Karl said Anthony would "probably" start tonight in his first game with guard Allen Iverson.

"I sent a text message to everybody," Anthony said Sunday morning. "Before I left town Thursday I told them we needed the two games. I told them thanks afterward. We needed a win streak. ... I told everybody thanks for getting me those two."
Anthony was in New York City on Friday to meet with NBA commissioner David Stern and deputy commissioner and chief operating officer Adam Silver. Anthony viewed the 90-minute meeting positively.

"The meeting with Stern was cool," Anthony said. "I'm glad I went. I'm glad he had to say what he had to say and that he spoke to me. I hadn't spoken to him since the incident. ... He wanted to look past (the incident). I told him that I didn't want it to hang over my head."

The Nuggets took Sunday off after earning back-to-back wins against Cleveland on Friday and at Houston on Saturday. Anthony, however, worked out at the Pepsi Center for 90 minutes with several assistant coaches. The 2006 all-NBA third-team selection said he is in better shape now than he was at the beginning of the season after taking part in practices and basketball drills and working out with strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess.

Anthony, who had a 36-day layoff, says he hasn't been this excited about a game since he was a freshman playing for Syracuse entering the NCAA national championship game in 2003.
"It hasn't really sunk in yet right now," Anthony said. "Maybe it will after shootaround (today) or when I get to the (Memphis) game. ... I feel better than ever. I know I'll be tired the first couple minutes. But I'll be better than ever."

Anthony is averaging 31.6 points per game. He has scored at least 30 points in 17-of-22 games, including a season-high 42 on Dec. 15 against Boston.

Iverson, a seven-time NBA all-star who was acquired Dec. 19, could be more excited than any Nugget for Anthony's return, which he has described as his late "Christmas present." Anthony also will be playing his first game with guard Steve Blake, who was acquired Jan. 11 from Milwaukee. Anthony has had several practices with Iverson and Blake.

"It will be a lovely day for me," Iverson said. "It will be a lot different as far as the game. I will have a chance to play with a player with great talent and with a talent level I haven't played with before. Obviously, it will be a fun day."

Said Karl: "My feeling is it's going to take (Anthony) a few games to get the defense, to fit the offensive intensity and the energy of the game. His conditioning will be observed."

Nuggets fans gave J.R. Smith a standing ovation when he returned from a 10-game suspension for fighting in New York. Despite the suspension, Anthony is hoping for "a big applause" tonight.

"It would show me that they still have my back and they still care for me," Anthony said. "If I said I won't be excited, I would be lying. I know I'll be excited."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5059548

Sports Illustrator
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Once he arrived at his Pepsi Center locker Monday, Carmelo Anthony stared at his popular white No. 15 jersey like it was his long-lost friend. The Nuggets forward then held his jersey over his held and took a long, deep sniff.

With his jersey back on, Anthony contributed 28 points, five rebounds and six assists to the Nuggets' 115-98 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies. It was his first game after serving a 15-game suspension for fighting during a Dec. 16 game against the Knicks in New York.

More than a month later, the NBA's leading scorer was back on the court and vowed never to turn his back on his jersey until he unlaces his sneakers for good.

"I missed it. I never want to leave this uniform right here until I'm ready to retire," Anthony said.
Sunday night at his Lakewood mansion, Anthony had dinner with a special guest, former Syracuse teammate Hakim Warrick of the Grizzlies. Warrick said a usually reserved Anthony was energetic.

"You were happy he was coming back, but it's against you," Warrick said.

Anthony was dressed casually Monday when he entered the Pepsi Center. Nuggets teammate DerMarr Johnson told him he should have worn a suit upon his return. Anthony had said his layoff was like a jail sentence.

"You want me to wear a suit after I wore an orange jumpsuit," Anthony said to Johnson.

Soon after, Allen Iverson walked in. Anthony nodded while Iverson responded in hip- hop vernacular.

"What it do," Iverson said.

Anthony said he took part in his usual pregame routine and stayed focused by not answering his buzzing cellphone.

"I woke up and had 50 missed calls," he said.

Signs welcoming Anthony back were all over the arena. During the pregame introduction, the public address announcer barked, "He's back!" before saying Anthony's name above the ear-piercing crowd noise.

Before tipoff, Anthony took the microphone and thanked owner Stan Kroenke, the Nuggets, his teammates and the fans for "supporting me."

"It felt great. Chills went through my body. Once I got that, I was really ready to go out and play," Anthony said.

Anthony's pregnant fiancée, LaLa Vasquez, was back at her courtside seat. Vasquez had vowed not to sit in her seat until Anthony returned.

"It wouldn't feel right," Vasquez said. "I support the team. But he's my first priority and I would never want to leave him by himself watching the games. I would sit and watch them with him."

Sitting to the left of Denver's bench was Kroenke, who was excited about seeing Iverson and Anthony on the court together. They combined for 51 points.

"It was special having those two guys on the floor," Kroenke said. "If you're a basketball fan, you had to enjoy it."

Anthony finished 10-of-25 from the floor, and Iverson said he knows it will only get better.

"He missed a lot of shots that he can usually make with his eyes closed, and that's all about having time and getting into a rhythm," Iverson said.

Anthony scored on seven layups and three dunks, but missed six layups and all nine jumpers, including one 3-pointer, he attempted. He did make all eight of his free throws.

"I thought he missed shots tonight that I know he'll hit in a week," coach George Karl said.

Anthony issued apologies for his actions in New York right after the incident and again Sunday. But he's not convinced the world totally forgives him yet.

"Things happened that have people thinking twice about me," he said. "But I can't worry about what people think about me right now. I'm back on the court. I'm playing. I'm back with my teammates. I'm happy."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5066006

DenButsu
01-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Hmmm, let's take a little 2-game inventory here...

28 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists against Memphis.
34 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 steals against Seattle.

You know, if Melo plays this good when he's "rusty" after a month of no games, I can't wait to see how he plays after he gets back into the groove of things and really gets his game on.

Now he's got AI as a teammate, J.R. to take a little of the scoring burden off him as well, Camby is on fire lately, Blake looks like he's a very capable point guard who can run an offense (and play some D to boot) and Nene just had the best game of the season (which really means his best game in 2 seasons - anyone see how quick his step looked?).

We could have a pretty damn good team on our hands here, boys.

:smoking:

Sports Illustrator
01-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Craig from Delaware: Will Anthony make the all-star team?
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 01/24/2007 08:33:06 PM MST

Denver Post sports writer Chris Dempsey posts his Nuggets Mailbag each Thursday this NBA season on DenverPost.com.

To drop a question into the Nuggets Mailbag click here or visit DenverPost.com's Nuggets Page.

Where do you stand as far as Carmelo Anthony making the all-star team? Prior to the "punch heard around the league," he was a shoo-in. But once again, the Western Conference is loaded at forward.
-- Craig Lesane, Bear, Del.

Craig - As long as Anthony continues to put up big numbers, and the Nuggets win games, I think he'll make the trip. The starters are going to be announced today, and unless there was a significant swell in fan voting, Anthony won't be among them. But I think his resume of production, plus impact on winning will earn him a nod as a reserve forward selected by Western Conference coaches.

Everyone talks about Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony coexisting, but the most important factor seems to be a healthy frontcourt. Iverson's greatest team success came when he played with strong centers who were healthy (e.g. Matt Geiger, Theo Ratliff and Dikembe Mutombo). Do you agree that the Nuggets' success is contingent upon a healthy frontcourt? And do you think we will see one this season?
-- J. Herndon, Albuquerque, N.M.

J. - I agree with a piece of your theory. I think a big piece of the Nuggets' success is contingent on a healthy Marcus Camby. Camby gives the Nuggets a defensive and rebounding presence that is difficult to duplicate when he's out of the lineup. Plus, he can score. The other forwards are fairly interchangeable as hard-working guys. Eduardo Najera has had the most problems staying healthy this season. Reggie Evans has played well overall, though he's a bit of a liability on offense. But he's been durable. The key to all of this, though, is Camby.

Chris - Why do you think with Allen Iverson the Nuggets are not yet mentioned as elite? What are we still missing?
-- Ashley Ransom, Aurora

Ashley - One word: Credibility. The Nuggets simply haven't built up enough of it yet through winning. Though they have won five straight games, it's going to take a lot more than victories over Portland and Houston and Memphis and Seattle to get people around the nation to recognize Denver as an elite team. The Nuggets are going to have to win - and beat elite teams like Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio - to be put in that class.

Chris - Who do you think is going to benefit from the A.I.-and-Melo deal. Will it be either Melo or A.I., or will it be someone like J.R. Smith or somebody else?
-- TP, Evergreen
TP - My votes go to J.R. Smith and Steve Blake, and in fact we've already seen some of it. Iverson and Anthony are going to attract so much attention, other players will be left open for largely uncontested looks at the basket. Smith and Blake will be the primary beneficiaries there.

For instance, late in the Seattle game on Tuesday night, the Sonics chose to cut Iverson's driving lanes, double-team Anthony and take their chances with everyone else. Blake knocked down two critical - and wide-open - 3-point shots as a result, and the Nuggets went on to win the game. That is going to happen a lot.

As for Iverson and Anthony, the benefit for them will be fewer possessions of double-teams because there will always be the other to worry about. Still, the two will see the bulk of every opponent's defensive efforts.

Do you think Eduardo Najera will be traded?
-- Jamie, Boulder

Jamie - It's a possibility if the interested team was willing to overlook Najera's recent inability to stay healthy, and the Nuggets got a capable frontcourt player in return. But right now, I doubt that Najera goes anywhere soon.

I think we saw it already, but with Earl Boykins gone, do you foresee a better flow in the halfcourt offense with Steve Blake at the point? Earl never saw a shot he didn't think he could make, nor did he struggle to find a way to personally dribble away 20 of the 24 seconds on the shot clock.
-- Sam, Denver

Sam - If the Nuggets never had to play in the halfcourt, they simply wouldn't. But yes, Blake has already helped keep movement to the offense, which to a certain extent wasn't there when Boykins was with the team. Boykins is a dynamite scorer, to be sure, but the Nuggets want fast breaks, movement and passing. Blake is a facilitator. He gets the ball where it needs to be, and if he's called upon to make an open jump shot, he can do that, too. Boykins is a very good player, and he continues to prove that now in Milwaukee, but for the way the Nuggets want to play, they are better off with Blake at the point.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5080338

Sports Illustrator
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Carmelo Anthony posted 31 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists in Monday's loss to Phoenix, registering his first career triple-double.

Melo played through a sprained middle finger tonight and kept the Nuggets in the contest all night despite playing without Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby. The All-Star snub has scored at least 20 points in all nine games since returning from his 15-game suspension.

rotoworld.com

CodeRed
02-11-2007, 04:30 AM
I like melo and he's good but in the knicks brawl he ran away from nate robinson(5foot5) and he acted real scared.(i thought it was kinda funny)

DenButsu
02-11-2007, 06:57 AM
I like melo and he's good but in the knicks brawl he ran away from nate robinson(5foot5) and he acted real scared.(i thought it was kinda funny)

I've never posted this thought before because I knew that everyone would just think it was a lame BS excuse and flame the hell out of me, so there would have been no point.

But about the whole "running away like a sissy" thing:

Everyone likes to make fun of that and, okay, on the surface it looks like what it looks like and it's funny. But I have never seen one person suggest what he should have done instead. Because in fact, almost any other alternative -- continuing to pommel the hell out of the guy, standing his ground and raising the level of confrontation -- would have had the consequence of ending in much, MUCH worse results. (Can you say Ron Artest?).

Of course, he never should have thrown the punch in the first place. That's given, that's obvious. But he did it. Oops.

And then what went through his mind? My guess is: panic. As in "Oh, s*^%, I shouldn't have done that!" except not thought out so clearly.

When I was 16, just two weeks after getting my first driver's license, I backed out of a convenience store right into a car that was getting gas. And I took off.

It was an idiotic thing to do, but I simply freaked out and didn't know what to do - I panicked. I was not thinking rationally. It wasn't because I was a wussy, it was because my adrenalin went through the roof and my fight or flight part of my brain took over and said "Go, dammit!"

And I still say that anyone at PSD who thinks Melo is a wimp is still just a sports geek hunched over his keyboard trying to put on a tough persona over the internet - which, yeah, REALLY takes a lot of courage.

"Though I could not caution all I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag
atop no ship of fools"
-Robert Hunter

TheFuture6
02-12-2007, 01:13 AM
I've never posted this thought before because I knew that everyone would just think it was a lame BS excuse and flame the hell out of me, so there would have been no point.

But about the whole "running away like a sissy" thing:

Everyone likes to make fun of that and, okay, on the surface it looks like what it looks like and it's funny. But I have never seen one person suggest what he should have done instead. Because in fact, almost any other alternative -- continuing to pommel the hell out of the guy, standing his ground and raising the level of confrontation -- would have had the consequence of ending in much, MUCH worse results. (Can you say Ron Artest?).

Of course, he never should have thrown the punch in the first place. That's given, that's obvious. But he did it. Oops.

And then what went through his mind? My guess is: panic. As in "Oh, s*^%, I shouldn't have done that!" except not thought out so clearly.

When I was 16, just two weeks after getting my first driver's license, I backed out of a convenience store right into a car that was getting gas. And I took off.

It was an idiotic thing to do, but I simply freaked out and didn't know what to do - I panicked. I was not thinking rationally. It wasn't because I was a wussy, it was because my adrenalin went through the roof and my fight or flight part of my brain took over and said "Go, dammit!"

And I still say that anyone at PSD who thinks Melo is a wimp is still just a sports geek hunched over his keyboard trying to put on a tough persona over the internet - which, yeah, REALLY takes a lot of courage.

"Though I could not caution all I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag
atop no ship of fools"
-Robert Hunter

That is the best explaination of that night that I have seen yet.

Sports Illustrator
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Carmelo Anthony was named Western Conference Player of the Week last week after averaging 30.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 7.8 assists in four games.

It is the third Player of the Week award this season for Anthony, the league's leading scorer at 30.9 points per game. He has six Player of the Week awards overall in three-plus seasons.

rotoworld.com

DenButsu
02-19-2007, 05:33 AM
From the Denver Post: (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5257399)

Anthony helps West roll
Nuggets forward shines with MVP Bryant in NBA All-Star Game rout
By Marc J. Spears Denver Post Staff Writer

Las Vegas - With the whole world watching, Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony was Western Conference all-star forward Carmelo Anthony for a night he will never forget.

Playing in his first NBA All- Star Game, Anthony hit 10-of-15 shots, scored 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds Sunday, helping the West rout the East 153-132 at the Thomas & Mack Center.

"It's a confidence booster," Anthony said. "It's over with. I've got to put it behind me now. I look forward to coming to many more."

Anthony entered the game with the West leading 14-13 in the first quarter and received a loud reception from fans. Soon after, the 6-foot-8, 230-pounder scored his first basket as an all-star on a 22-foot jumper that gave the West an 18-15 lead.

Anthony made 6-of-7 shots in the first half, scoring 12 points in 11 minutes as the West took a 79-59 lead at halftime. The only West player with more points in the first half was Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who scored 17 on his way to being selected MVP of the All-Star Game for the second time.

"That's a big stage," Anthony said. "The whole world is watching you and you can finally step up there and get on the court."

Bryant, who finished with 31 points and six assists, said Anthony is "a phenomenal talent. I just love him. I think he's scratching the surface of what he can do. He's a natural."

cynomatic
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Carmelo Anthony said on Friday that he probably would miss at least one game next week due to the birth of his first child.

His fiance is due on Tuesday, the first night of back-to-back games for the Nuggets. We won't know about his availability until the baby arrives, but owners should expect him to miss both Tuesday and Wednesday

roto

Sports Illustrator
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Carmelo Anthony could miss time this week with the birth of his first child, but all was quiet on the baby front on Sunday.

Neither of Denver's Monday's papers made any mention of the possibility that Melo could miss a game or two this week. It was widely reported on Friday that he could miss a game or two for the event, and we're guessing that's still the case. But with the Nuggets having a game on Tuesday (the baby's due date), we are surprised that it wasn't mentioned.

rotoworld.com

Sports Illustrator
03-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Carmelo Anthony said on Monday that he is still "waiting on the call" regarding the birth of his first child.

He was originally thought to miss a game on Tuesday or Wednesday and might still miss time this week, but it's unclear as to when that would be.

rotoworld.com

BSL63087
03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
rotoworld.com

He is starting tonight so I guess he hasn't received the call yet. I wonder what happens if he finds out during the game if he would leave or what.

Sports Illustrator
03-06-2007, 11:47 PM
According to the Denver Post, Nuggets coach George Karl is unhappy with the play and attitude of Carmelo Anthony and is considering moving the young star out of the starting lineup.

"I think that's the next move," Karl said of the possibility. "I've told 'Melo in the last two weeks, 'I don't think you're listening. I don't think you're listening as well as you need to listen.' For me, the next step is to change the democracy back to a dictatorship." Still, a theoretically brief move to the bench as punishment isn't as concerning as another comment Karl made: "Personally, I think 'Melo should forget about scoring." If Karl puts a serious damper on Anthony's minutes and shots in the near future.

rotoworld.com

DenButsu
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Wow, those are some strong words. Not good.

I wonder what's really going on behind the curtain?

Sports Illustrator
03-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Carmelo Anthony, who missed Wednesday's game to be at the birth of his first child, is expected to return to action Friday against Detroit.

Melo will have to have a better attitude now that he's a father to avoid a possible demotion from coach George Karl. There's been rumors that he could be removed from the starting lineup if he doesn't shape up.

rotoworld.com

Sports Illustrator
03-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Carmelo Anthony and George Karl had a meeting on Saturday night at the team hotel and it went well, according to the participants.

"It was a good talk," Anthony said. "He answered a lot of questions." Karl called it a "fine talk," and said topics included Anthony's touches. "I'm there to help him," Karl said. "When he plays bad, I feel bad. It's not that I'm angry. Sometimes he must think I'm angry at him, but I'm probably angry at everybody."

rotoworld.com

Tyrant
03-14-2007, 09:23 AM
yeaaaaaaah thats my homeboy right there

DenButsu
03-17-2007, 02:59 AM
I know the general impression of the Lakers game was that we played pretty good D, but specifically, how did Melo do on the defensive end?

Or in other words, did the meeting with George Karl accomplish anything?

His stat line was solid - I think 6 boards and 5 assists?

milehighpadfan
03-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I know Melo will probably never read this but I just have one thing to get off my chest!

PASS THE DAMN BALL!

This team would be so much better if he passed the ball instead of worrying about 30 points every night. He's a superstar, NO DOUBT, but the points will come.

Ironically enough, Iverson used to be just like Melo when he first came out.

Melo needs to step it up!
I watch the guy constantly being double teamed and he takes the shot anyway, WHAT? Trust me teams have figured this out so it becomes easier to beat the Nuggets when you know their game. It's not hard to figure out.

Wake up, you've got A.I. now and a constantly improving cast PASS THE BALL!

BRAVE KID
03-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I believe if Kleiza, Blake, Nene, J.R and Camby continue to step up on the offensive side you will see Melo passing more times than you can imagine. Melo believe it or not has played better defense, not great defense but decent for an offensive mind player.

Sports Illustrator
03-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony has been criticized at length this season for a perceived nonchalance in playing defense.

But center Marcus Camby and Anthony say otherwise.

"He came back this year saying he wanted to be on the all-defensive team," Camby said.

Anthony says he takes great pride in his defense, and even envisions loving defense more than offense one day. And yes, he said it with a straight face.

"I think so," Anthony said. "It's starting to get there. It started this summer with the Olympic team and I'm trying to carry it on this year."

Camby said since the start of the season he has seen Anthony "doing all of the little things to get it done" on the defensive end. Anthony explained his pride won't allow him to play half-heartedly on the defensive end.

"I always had that pride to say look, if I'm guarding my man you ain't just going to score 30, 40 points," Anthony said. "I love to take on the challenge."

From Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5448000)

DenButsu
03-29-2007, 06:56 AM
from denverpost.com (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5543448)

jim armstrong - opening shots
Melo cools on scoring title
By Jim Armstrong
Article Last Updated: 03/28/2007 10:54:55 PM MDT

Sly and the Family Notes ...

Kobe Bryant is about to win the NBA scoring title. Much to the relief of one Carmelo Anthony.

"I'm cool with it," Melo said. "If he's going out there throwing in 65 points like that, he can have it. It's all fun and games winning the scoring title. It's an individual accolade."

It's also an indication of Bryant's so-so supporting cast. Not so with Anthony. His teammates, most notably Linas Kleiza and Nene, have been scoring more lately, and, with the playoffs approaching, nobody is happier about it than Melo.

"I'm really feeling good about what I'm doing, about not having to go out there and score 30 or 35 points," he said. "It feels so good when I can score 20 or 25 and we can win. L.K., (Marcus) Camby, Nene ... everybody is doing something." ...

Melo's pick for MVP? That would be Dirk Nowitzki. "Kobe is always going to be up there," he said, "but you've got to go with the team with the best record and the best player on that team. And Dirk is that guy." ..

TheFuture6
03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Kobe can take his scoring title, we are gonna' make some noise in the playoffs...

jeff86
04-09-2007, 03:24 AM
i have noticed something in last few games with melo is that karl keeps using him against the top scores on the opposing team maggette, dirk, kobe, lebron,

Do you think that George is seeing that Melo can play defense better than what the majority of people out there think.

In the last two games he had game saving defensive plays as well. Has he really figured out defense? I hope so that would add another dimension to his game and would boost him to more of an all around player

DenButsu
04-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Has he really figured out defense? I hope so

Amen to that. Let's put it this way: He averages over 38 minutes a game, and AI averages over 42. So, if those 2 don't play some really solid D, we won't go very deep into the playoffs.

BUT, recent signs sure are good, so let's knock on wood, cross our fingers, pray to the basketball gods, and do whatever other rituals of good luck that will help this increased effort on the defensive end to continue and thrive.

TheFuture6
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Melo is big and fast enough to guard the best wing players in the NBA some nights he does well, and some nights he gets smoked. That is one of those things that you hope to improve with time.

DenButsu
05-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Melo makes All-NBA third team

NEW YORK -- Steve Nash was a unanimous selection to the All-NBA team Thursday and was joined by Phoenix Suns teammate Amare Stoudemire on a squad made up entirely of Western Conference players.

Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki, San Antonio forward Tim Duncan and Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, the league's leading scorer, rounded out the first team.

Cleveland's LeBron James, the top vote-getter for last year's All-NBA team, dropped to the second team this season. He was joined by Washington's Gilbert Arenas, Houston's Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, and Toronto's Chris Bosh.

The third team was: Miami's Dwyane Wade, Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Orlando's Dwight Howard.

rockymountainnews.com (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5530675,00.html)

DenButsu
05-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Carmelo moves into a new crib

By John Rebchook, Rocky Mountain News
May 11, 2007

It’s a big house for a big man.

Carmelo Anthony, a 6’8-inch forward for the Denver Nuggets, has bought the sprawling Sognare Estate mansion near Littleton. It was listed for almost $12 million.

The estate was built in 2002. It includes seven bedrooms, nine bathrooms, a 5,000-bottle wine center, an 11,000-square-foot barn, hand-cut limestone floors, a Brazilian mahogany paneled library, and a cutting edge recording studio.rockymountainnews.com (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/business/article/0,1299,DRMN_4_5532897,00.html)

I'm thinking if I had $12mil to burn, I probably wouldn't go over $300,000 on my house, because I could easily find much more productive uses for the other 11.7m... But I guess that's just me - could care less about the bling bling. :cool:

TheFuture6
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Lol, what is Melo going to do with a barn?

DenButsu
05-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Lol, what is Melo going to do with a barn?

:rolleyes:

Um, just a guess (http://www.marijuana.org/Pictures7-24-99/indoor6.jpg)...

TheFuture6
05-13-2007, 02:40 AM
:rolleyes:

Um, just a guess (http://www.marijuana.org/Pictures7-24-99/indoor6.jpg)...

Not that I have an issue with it... :smoking:

But Melo is still trying to "clean up" his public image.

DenButsu
05-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Not that I have an issue with it... :smoking:

But Melo is still trying to "clean up" his public image.

True, and I was joking, of course.... then again, the article did say he chose the place so he'd have more privacy...

DenButsu
05-19-2007, 08:17 AM
The next time any Carmelo Anthony haters try and tell you how much of a "punk" or a "thug" he is, direct them to this link.

Melo ranked 8th on Largest Charitable Donations by Celebrities list
NO other NBA players listed in the top 30

Los Angeles, CA -- The Giving Back Fund (GBF), the premier resource in celebrity philanthropy, announced today that Oprah Winfrey tops the inaugural Giving Back 30, a ranking of the celebrities who have made the largest personal public donations to charity in 2006. Rounding out the top five are the estates of the late fashion designer Geoffrey Beene and the late actor Jack Lord and his wife Marie, singer/actress Barbra Streisand, and golfer Tiger Woods.

The list (see below) includes celebrities from many walks of life: sports figures (Woods, Carmelo Anthony of the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, golfer Arnold Palmer, tennis great Andre Agassi, NFL standouts, recently-retired New York Giant Tiki and his twin brother Ronde Barber of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, NASCAR driver Tony Stewart, poker player Mike Sexton and cyclist Lance Armstrong); actors (the Lord estate, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Nicolas Cage, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and his wife Dany Garcia Johnson, Susan Saint James and her husband, TV executive Dick Ebersol, Denzel Washington and Elizabeth Taylor); musicians (Streisand, Pat Boone and his wife Shirley, Paul McCartney, Gloria Estefan and Dolly Parton); media personalities (Winfrey, Rosie O’Donnell, Martha Stewart, “Dr. Phil” McGraw and his wife Robin); sports and entertainment moguls (David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg and his wife Marilyn); an artist (LeRoy Neiman); a designer (the Beene estate); and a game show host (Bob Barker).

-quote from the press release linked to atthis page at givingback.org (http://www.givingback.org/GivingBack30.html)

DenButsu
05-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I just watched Melo's interview on the Jimmy Kimmel show at his myspace page.

I find it really strange how he's got this "thuggish, punkish" reputation now, but then when you see him "in person", he's such a funny, likeable, NICE guy. Is he just really skilled at presenting a more positive public impression of his character than his true, "gangsta-ish" self? Is the media just really overhyping his negative attributes and burying the fact that he's really a good person? Some of both?

Whatever the case, the popular perception of what kind of person he is is really, really different from who he seems to be when you see him in interviews, etc. Strange...

Anyhow, check out that Kimmel interview. It's pretty funny.

DenButsu
06-17-2007, 05:04 AM
From the Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5589050,00.html):

Fatherhood makes Anthony grow up

Nuggets forward is more responsible in role as a new parent

As for his own life, Anthony said it has changed in a way that has made him more responsible.

"It made me open my eyes up to a lot of things, having a son," he said. "You've got to start thinking twice about doing things, what you're going to do. . . . I want him to grow up, have just as much fun as I had."

AnswerMelo15
07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
They say that Wade and Lebron are better than melo but over the years he surpasses them in most categories.Carmelo gets ejected for Trowing his headband on the court but Lebron Travels for all Might and gets away? The Refs respect him More and wade nutin to say about him either I say that Melo will beat Lebron and Wade in Scoring again

DenButsu
07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
They say that Wade and Lebron are better than melo but over the years he surpasses them in most categories.Carmelo gets ejected for Trowing his headband on the court but Lebron Travels for all Might and gets away? The Refs respect him More and wade nutin to say about him either I say that Melo will beat Lebron and Wade in Scoring again

I don't doubt that he's capable of doing so, but I'm not sure if I want him to or if it would really be good for the team overall. I'd like to see his assists increase, and see Nene pick up a larger share of the scoring load. We're too wing-heavy right now, and part of the reason Nene scored that big contract is because they believe he can really become a legit inside scoring presence. And while his taking more shots would of course mean fewer for AI and Melo, it also means that the looks they'd get at the basket would be much better, and the team's overall efficiency should improve.

DenButsu
07-18-2007, 04:46 AM
From the denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_6395480):

Melo heads to U.S. team camp

Kobe Bryant headlines the list of 17 players who are expected to report for U.S. national team minicamp this weekend in Las Vegas.

The three-day camp on the campus of UNLV will be used to select the finalists for next month's FIBA Americas tournament, the regional qualifier for the 2008 Olympics. The roster must be trimmed to 12 players before the tournament starts on Aug. 22.

There are 32 players in the national team program, but 15 are unavailable for minicamp, leaving the Americans with fewer players than expected. Coach Mike Krzyzewski said last week he thought 18 or 19 would be in camp.

Bryant, the league's scoring champion, had knee surgery last summer and was unable to play in the world championships, where the Americans finished third. LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Shane Battier and Kirk Hinrich are the only players from that team scheduled to take part this weekend.

cwebb4
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Good luck to him. Hopefully this is the team that can turn it around for us.

DenButsu
07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Good luck to him. Hopefully this is the team that can turn it around for us.

Yeah, it's high time for the disappointing showings to stop.

Here's a pic:

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=1588665

DenButsu
07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Anthony shines in scrimmage with 28

Las Vegas - Carmelo Anthony continued with USA Basketball where he left off last year.

The Nuggets forward scored a game-high 28 points for the Blue team in a 105-104 victory over the White team in an intrasquad scrimmage before 15,132 fans Sunday at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center.

Anthony was the leading scorer for Team USA at the 2006 world championships with a 19.9 average. He made 11-of-23 shots, grabbed six rebounds and had four assists in 33 minutes Sunday. The scrimmage completed Team USA's three-day mini-camp to prepare for the FIBA Americas Championship tournament in Las Vegas.

"I came out here just wanting to play hard," Anthony said. "It was a very competitive game. We can tell already the difference (in improved talent). I've been working (out) for a long time." http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_6440236

liliverson819
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Good For Him hopefully hell continue it when the season starts

DenButsu
07-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Melo matures: "No more drama, baby"

Las Vegas - Say hello to the new Melo.

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony is promising that his troubles of the past are a thing of the past and he is more mature. His focus is on becoming a great NBA player, an outstanding father and a role model.

Anthony, 23, sat down for a question-and-answer session with The Denver Post during the Team USA mini-camp over the weekend.

Q: You've been calling yourself the new Melo of late. Explain the new Melo.

Melo: "I'm introducing the new Melo. I'm a new person. A new attitude. A businessman now. I'm happy. I probably tell you this every year, but I'm more happy than I've ever been. It's nothing in general. It's just life, period. I don't know why. I just woke up one day and felt this way, somehow."

Q: Are you tired of the drama

...denverpost.com (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_6447112)

TheFuture6
07-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Q: During the USA Basketball minicamp, you've been talking about winning an NBA championship. Where does that talk come from?

Melo: "That's just my confidence. I think I have a chance at doing it, especially with the talent that we got. K-Mart's (Ken- yon Martin) coming back. Hopefully, he's healthy. On paper we are one of the most talented teams in the NBA, if not the most talented.

Q: Have you seen Martin, who is rehabilitating from knee surgery, and what are you expecting from him next season?

Melo: "I saw Kenyon (last Friday). He said he was going to get back on the court in August, that he was rehabbing (his injured knee) and he can't wait to come back."

Q: Have you and Iverson talked much about next season?

Melo: "He wants to play tomorrow. He feels like he let himself and a lot of people down. He wants to prove something to them."

These are my favorites.

:dance:

DenButsu
08-30-2007, 05:39 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23158.shtml

DenButsu
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vjDgAmg6ZzI

DenButsu
10-26-2007, 03:01 AM
Carmelo Anthony has been telling anyone who will listen that this could be the best Denver Nuggets team ever.

He's anxious to prove it's more than just words.

"It's looking real good out there for us. We've got everything we need," the Nuggets All-Star said. 9news (http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=79720) has the whole optimistic outlook.

DenButsu
10-26-2007, 03:46 AM
As a side note:

Carmelo Anthony decided to play on Thursday despite being given the night off by George Karl, and scored 22 points in a loss to the Suns.rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=929&sport=NBA)

Guess the same holds true for AI. That just shows how psyched they are to get out there and play, and get the season rolling. A lot of players might have taken their out and sat through the game.

DenButsu
10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
From the Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5734711,00.html):

5 Questions for Carmelo Anthony

4 How long do you think people will keep asking whether you and A.I. can play together?

I think we proved that. If we didn't prove that already, I don't know what else we can do. I think we proved that we can play together. People (are) going to say that until we win a championship. People say the same thing about (New York Yankees teammates) A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez) and (Derek) Jeter. People say the same thing about (Miami Heat teammates) Shaq (Shaquille O'Neal) and D-Wade (Dwyane Wade). People say the same thing when there are two good players on one team. It's always a question that's going to be asked.

DenButsu
11-09-2007, 08:27 PM
In Sports Illustrated, Ian Thomsen has a good write-up (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/11/08/carmelo/index.html) about Melo's development as a player. Check it out.

"There have been other people that have compared Pierce to Melo,'' said Karl, the Nuggets' coach. "Pierce is one of the few guys in basketball who can put a triple-double up anytime he plays. We've tried to push Melo in that direction to be more rebound-oriented, more pass-oriented, more than just scoring. And in a lot of ways, Pierce showed him a clinic tonight.''

Here's another difference: The opportunity to play with Garnett and Allen arrived when Pierce was ready to exploit it. Of course, Pierce would have been happy to be teamed with older stars during his fifth year in the league -- the stage at which Anthony finds himself playing with Allen Iverson, Marcus Camby and Kenyon Martin. Would the younger Pierce have been capable of integrating and leading such an old team? Maybe not.

The Nuggets have no time for such musings. Both Camby and Iverson routinely remind Anthony that they need to win now, that this may be their last chance at a championship, and that Anthony needs to lead them whether he's ready or not.

Kamikazebeast
11-10-2007, 09:47 PM
That would be nice to see Melo more as a rebounder....but is that possible when you have Camby defense play and a healthy Martin/Nene. But I wouldn't say Denver as a team is a Defensive team.

DenButsu
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM
That would be nice to see Melo more as a rebounder....but is that possible when you have Camby defense play and a healthy Martin/Nene. But I wouldn't say Denver as a team is a Defensive team.

I think it's possible.

They should let the guards get out on the fast breaks, Melo doesn't really need to be involved in all of those. And when the breaks go bad, they're in a better position to make a defensive stop when the ball comes back down the court.

DenButsu
11-18-2007, 06:24 AM
As of now, Melo averages out to be the Nuggets' 3rd best 3-point shooter.

His percentage: .364

He takes 3.3 tries per game, and makes 1.2 of them.

I think the proportion of his shooting (not too much, but enough to keep defenses honest) is perfect, and if he can maintain this level over the course of the entire season, his offensive weaponry is just that much more dynamic.

cmellofan15
08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
greatest thread ever.

DenButsu
08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
greatest thread ever.

Wow, how the hell did you even find this old thing?!? :laugh2:

If you dig deep enough, there are "official" :rolleyes: threads for Nene, J.R., K, and probably others, too. An idea that I let fall by the wayside some time ago...