PDA

View Full Version : CORRECTION: Orange Bowl DID NOT ban Stanford Band because of LeBron

asandhu23
01-04-2011, 12:39 AM
The game is going to be a good one, but even hardcore football fans had to be looking forward to the halftime highlight of the year during tonight's Stanford-Virginia Tech showdown in the Orange Bowl: A rare national television performance by the The Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band, perennial standard bearer of the proud traditions of interscholastic antagonism and irreverent hijinks. Some bands are precise; some are loud; some are theatrical. The LSJUMB is genuinely fun, if you're the kind of person who considers infuriating almost every school the Cardinal have ever visited (along with at least one nationally syndicated advice columnist) "fun."

Alas, the band's reputation precedes it in Miami, where bowl officials have officially banned the band from performing at halftime, to spare a certain local resident's fragile ego:

Orange Bowl administrators, determined to make tonight's matchup between No. 5 Stanford and No. 12 Virginia Tech less entertaining, have decided to bar Stanford's irreverent band from performing at halftime.

The move comes after the band announced its show was entitled: "Recent Events in the Pro Sports World in Miami."

Apparently bowl officials were concerned that the band might mock LeBron James and hurt his feelings.

Just to be be fair, Virginia Tech's band has also been banned. Both will play a six-minute pre-game show instead.

Honestly, I can't imagine why the Orange Bowl would be concerned about the intentions of a collection of overachieving mischief-makers that traditionally enjoys a pre-game meal of beer and doughnuts. Just look at some of the wholesome family fun the band has generated throughout its 40-year history:

Once mocked the kidnapping of Cal alum Patty Hearst in Berkeley;
Commemorated the anniversary of UCLA alum Jayne Mansfield's decapitation in a car accident by playing "Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body" at the Rose Bowl;
Was banned from Oregon for 11 years for making fun of the pending extinction of the state's spotted owl during a conservation fight;
Received a lifetime ban from Notre Dame in 1997 for playing with a conductor in a nun's habit and a wooden crucifix as a baton during a show titled "These Irish, Why Must They Fight?" which featured jokes about the 19th Century Irish Potato Famine and reportedly prompted a fan to charge the field screaming "You're all going to hell!";
Had members skip rehearsal to play outside the O.J. Simpson murder trial;
Employed five members of the dance team, the Stanford Dollies, to mock polygamy at BYU.

And so much more, most of it incurring some form of sanction, ban and one near-dissolution, after the Band wrecked its multimillion-dollar "Band Shak" in 2006. After a relatively quiet spell, the LSJUMB returned to its glory days as provocateurs with a raucous halftime show at the Los Angeles Coluseum honoring USC alum and "Girls Gone Wild" founder Joe Francis for his distinguished career in (and I quote) "sexual harassment, drug trafficking, tax evasion, prostitution, child abuse and disruptive flatulence." What could possibly go wrong here?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Orange-Bowl-bans-the-Stanford-Band-for-LeBron-J?urn=ncaaf-303032

:pity:

footballer2369
01-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks for sharing this interesting nugget Asshandu. Not sure of the relevance to the NBA, but I'm sure you don't have an agenda or anything so :thumbsup: .

D Roses Bulls
01-04-2011, 12:49 AM
LOL........ I Could say so much, but Imma keep my mouth shut. I bet ESPN won't report this.

StriveGreatness
01-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Lmao!

asandhu23
01-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks for sharing this interesting nugget Asshandu. Not sure of the relevance to the NBA, but I'm sure you don't have an agenda or anything so :thumbsup: .

Agenda? I think what they did is ****ed up.

D Roses Bulls
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
this had me cracking up

• Received a lifetime ban from Notre Dame in 1997 for playing with a conductor in a nun's habit and a wooden crucifix as a baton during a show titled "These Irish, Why Must They Fight?" which featured jokes about the 19th Century Irish Potato Famine and reportedly prompted a fan to charge the field screaming "You're all going to hell!"

footballer2369
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
LOL........ I Could say so much, but Imma keep my mouth shut. I bet ESPN won't report this.

Because the orange bowl decided not to allow the bands and some nobody speculated that it was to save Lebron? How is that newsworthy? Lebron and the NBA have nothing to do with it. Lebron was busy whooping the Bobcats during the Orange Bowl.

ManRam
01-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Really stupid. But why would they feel a need to be so childish and name it that. Just focus on the game and your team...not jabs at the greater sports world.

And yes, Asandhu has an agenda....he hates LeBron to the point he wishes serious injuries upon him :facepalm:

MG3
01-04-2011, 12:54 AM
LeBron > Life

D Roses Bulls
01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Because the orange bowl decided not to allow the bands and some nobody speculated that it was to save Lebron? How is that newsworthy? Lebron and the NBA have nothing to do with it. Lebron was busy whooping the Bobcats during the Orange Bowl.

ESPN for one reports all sports, not just NBA and for two, if they can report on A-Rod's new girlfriend or how a fan get's kicked out of a game or whos playing the halftime of the superbowl, and even more ******** things, why not report this? we all know why though.

giants73756
01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Sounds like a pretty amazing band.

D Roses Bulls
01-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Sounds like a pretty amazing band.

x2 honestly, by reading some of the past displays, I might pay to watch a stanford game just to see the band and who they mock. I would of love to have been there at the notre dame game.

justinnum1
01-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Really stupid. But why would they feel a need to be so childish and name it that. Just focus on the game and your team...not jabs at the greater sports world.

And yes, Asandhu has an agenda....he hates LeBron to the point he wishes serious injuries upon him :facepalm:

:pity:

D1JM
01-04-2011, 01:11 AM
I didnt know lebron had feelings

hgtiger32
01-04-2011, 01:16 AM
i feel for the kids in the band, thats so shittty

avrpatsfan
01-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Sounds like an awesome band. People need to be less sensitive these days.

The band isn't trying to be mean to Lebron, they're just trying to have fun.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm too lazy to read the article.

Can anyone tell me the reason why they will not let them play as it would mock Lebron. Im not really too sure how a band can mock Lebron.

VladTheImpaler
01-04-2011, 01:24 AM
They list all that and forget to mention the incident that band is arguably most famous for?

Bucsfan
01-04-2011, 01:28 AM
lame

asandhu23
01-04-2011, 01:36 AM
they list all that and forget to mention the incident that band is arguably most famous for?

the play ;)

bholly
01-04-2011, 01:40 AM
This is from wikipedia:

Despite Twitter rumors to the contrary, the band was not banned from performing during the 2011 Orange Bowl halftime. The Orange Bowl traditionally has major-label recording artists perform the halftime show, not school marching bands (The Goo Goo Dolls performed the 2011 show). They did, however perform during pregame, which was briefly shown on the game's national broadcast. The theme of that show was "Recent Events in the Pro Sports World in Miami."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Band

I know wikipedia isn't really a reliable source, but it's true that famous bands play half-time at the Orange Bowl every year, so it doesn't seem worth the bother of finding a real source.

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is just a completely untrue non-story.

asandhu23
01-04-2011, 01:59 AM
This is from wikipedia:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Band

I know wikipedia isn't really a reliable source, but it's true that famous bands play half-time at the Orange Bowl every year, so it doesn't seem worth the bother of finding a real source.

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is just a completely untrue non-story.

wikipedia or yahoo. take your pick

bholly
01-04-2011, 02:10 AM
To be clear, it's a yahoo blog, citing a blog at sfgate.com, which cites a short article from a guy called RJ Middleton at NBCBayArea.com. There's nothing to prove any particular level of fact-checking, and certainly no official source. So it's not like yahoo is an indisputable source in this either.

On the other hand, it's easy to find records of past Orange Bowl halftime acts, which are all famous bands. Maybe they usually have the marching bands play as well, I don't know, but I'm just putting what I read out there.

bholly
01-04-2011, 02:14 AM
This is the link to the RJ Middleton article that you get to by following the citations:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/And-the-Stanford-Band-Played-On---Just-not-at-Halftime-112802114.html

Note the lack of any citation from anywhere respectable, and the user comments. Most importantly, it doesn't say LBJ is the actually reason for the ban, it just jokingly speculates that might be it.

I'm not saying it's definitely false, I'm just saying I don't see any evidence that it's true.

effen5
01-04-2011, 02:32 AM
lebrons trolling everybody lmao

Sadds The Gr8
01-04-2011, 02:45 AM
apparently bowl officials were concerned that the band might mock lebron james and hurt his feelings.

lol

CityofTreez
01-04-2011, 02:57 AM
That band is awesome. I've seen them live and they are one of the best!

LA_Raiders
01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
lol

godolphins
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
This should be in the general discussion forum not the NBA

godolphins
01-04-2011, 01:14 PM
The band wasn't even banned

YankeeClipper5
01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I was at the Orange Bowl game last night, sitting in the section next to the Stanford band. The Goo Goo dolls performed last night during the half time show as did a high school band from NY, and about 800 young girls danced.

I did see one of the Stanford tuba's painted with a marijuana plant inside saying "this bud is for you."

ttam68
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Only at Stanford would the band be the campus badasses

daleja424
01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
They suck anyways. They "performed" at the HEAT game on Saturday night and they were terrible. Worst sounding band ever.

daleja424
01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
1. First of all, this has nothing to do with the nba.

2. Second of all, it is blatantly fabricated:

The San Francisco Chronicle has issued a correction to the item excerpted in the post below: "A report before the game that the Stanford band had been banned for a halftime performance was incorrect. Neither school's band was scheduled to be part of the halftime show, which featured the Goo Goo Dolls. Each band was limited to a six-minute pregame show." Obviously, then, this post (based on that report) was also incorrect. Dr. Saturday sincerely regrets the error, even more than it regrets the continued infliction of the Goo Goo Dolls on national television audiences.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Correction-Orange-Bowl-did-not-ban-Stanford-Ban?urn=ncaaf-303032