PDA

View Full Version : Which players who are in their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd seasons do you think will get a max

NetsPaint
01-04-2011, 12:27 AM
contract offer one day? Whether or not you think they deserve that much or them taking less money is a different story.

Big possibilities: Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose.

Maybe: Kevin Love

Ty Fast
01-04-2011, 12:31 AM
as of now Derrick Rose. i think Blake Griffin has to prove he can stay healthy before he gets the max. i know he has been healthy so far this season, but remember he missed all of last year due to injury.

Baller1
01-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose without a doubt.

sargon21
01-04-2011, 12:47 AM
How much will Westbrook demand, and will OKC be able to afford him?

How much will Eric Gordon get?, guy is playin pretty damn solid

Baller1
01-04-2011, 12:50 AM
How much will Westbrook demand, and will OKC be able to afford him?

How much will Eric Gordon get?, guy is playin pretty damn solid

I don't think we'll offer him a max; two max contracts would brutally constrain us.

Same with Gordon, Griffin will be getting a max contract so I don't see Gordon getting one.

John Walls Era
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
John Wall and Blake Griffin. If Derrick Rose really wants to win then he should just accept 12 mill.

sargon21
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
^ What does that even mean?

avrpatsfan
01-04-2011, 01:18 AM
contract offer one day? Whether or not you think they deserve that much or them taking less money is a different story.

Big possibilities: Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose.

Maybe: Kevin Love
Maybe Kevin Love? I think 21 and 15 will get a max contract. I'll probably go John Wall, Griffin, Rose, and Love to begin with.

What?
01-04-2011, 01:23 AM
John Wall and Blake Griffin. If Derrick Rose really wants to win then he should just accept 12 mill.

so any player that accepts a max contract doesn't really want to win?

beasted86
01-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, maybe Russell Westbrook

SteveNash
01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
so any player that accepts a max contract doesn't really want to win?

A player that accepts a max contract cares less about winning.

SteveNash
01-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Oh and Rose, Westbrook, Griffin, Evans, Wall.

hotpotato1092
01-04-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't think we'll offer him a max; two max contracts would brutally constrain us.

Same with Gordon, Griffin will be getting a max contract so I don't see Gordon getting one.

I actually don't think a second max would be too crippling to OKC under their current structure. Remember, they'll ALWAYS have players on rookie contracts because they know how to plan ahead and have multiple picks, so let's say the retain Durant and Westbrook at the max and Green for about 8 mil. They still have Ibaka, Harden, Maynor, Aldrich, Collison and Thabo locked up for at least 3 years for reasonable prices. So yeah, they'll be over the cap, but I doubt they'll be paying too much in luxury tax bills. Presti knows how to manage his limited resources and he knows what he has in Westbrook, I don't think there's anyway he lets him go. Although it would help if he'd settle for a little less.

blueplanet
01-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, and Russel Westbrook.

Doogolas
01-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Accepting a max contract only shows a lack of caring about winning if it actually affects the cap situation. Rose accepting 12 million affects the Bulls the same way him accepting a max would at this point. Because either way it puts us well over the cap.

D1JM
01-04-2011, 03:27 AM

I c Westbrook getting a max offer or close to it. If okc doesn't, another team will.

John Walls Era
01-04-2011, 03:55 AM
^ What does that even mean?

Give the team some free room.

Accepting a max contract only shows a lack of caring about winning if it actually affects the cap situation. Rose accepting 12 million affects the Bulls the same way him accepting a max would at this point. Because either way it puts us well over the cap.

You never know what you could use with the extra money in the FUTURE.

Right. This Steve Nash and the real Steve Nash know this.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Rose the guard the bulls better be ready for that 100 mil ext......

alencp3
01-04-2011, 04:32 AM
You people forgot Tyreke Evans he is a lock too

Also im going with a sleeper - Derrick Favors, three years from now kid will be a force, remember he is only 19

Baller1
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
In my opinion, Tyreke is not a franchise player to build around. I wouldn't be giving him the max at the current rate he's going.

S-Dot
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Possibly derrick rose. I really can't call it though.

DerekRE_3
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
In my opinion, Tyreke is not a franchise player to build around. I wouldn't be giving him the max at the current rate he's going.

So he'll have foot problems the rest of his career despite never having surgery ever in his entire life?

S-Dot
01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

That's a tough call because I think Rudy Gay and Joe Johnson have received max contracts. However, until Tyreke's production leads to wins I would agree with you.

SteBO
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Rose the guard the bulls better be ready for that 100 mil ext......
I wonder if the Bulls will be able to afford to give Rose the MAX. They have some big contracts with Joakim Noah signing for 12 million per and Deng, who I think has 3 years left and he's gettin paid 11 million per, I could be wrong about Dengs contract though, but that's what I heard.

Cubs Win
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I wonder if the Bulls will be able to afford to give Rose the MAX. They have some big contracts with Joakim Noah signing for 12 million per and Deng, who I think has 3 years left and he's gettin paid 11 million per, I could be wrong about Dengs contract though, but that's what I heard.

It's called Bird Rights. A team is able to go over the cap to re-sign any player currently on their rostser. They still have to pay any luxury tax this could lead to, but are able to re-sign the player. So yes, the Bulls can re-sign Rose regardless of our current salary in relation to the salary cap.

thekmp211
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM

:facepalm:

thekmp211
01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
is it really being put forward here that any player who accepts a maximum contract is less committed to winning than a player who doesn't? i'm gonna let you folks think about how naive that perspective is, and maybe come back to it.

as for who will get them, rose is the only the guy that comes to mind as a lock. griffin is well on his way, but as awesome as he is it's only been 30+ games.

there are so many factors that go into max contracts, bird rights, a players desire to keep the face of a franchise, the financial/personal considerations of the player ect...

if someone had asked you a year ago which players would sign max contracts out of all the free agents, i doubt many would have picked rudy gay, joe johnson and amar'e stoudemire as the locks. in fact, most would have argued that none of those guys are max players. yet here they sit with maximum contracts. so, in other words, who knows?

rose, griffin and love are good names to throw around in terms of best young players, for sure. i could see a team offering westbrook a HUGE contract that the thunder would struggle to match.

SteBO
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
It's called Bird Rights. A team is able to go over the cap to re-sign any player currently on their rostser. They still have to pay any luxury tax this could lead to, but are able to re-sign the player. So yes, the Bulls can re-sign Rose regardless of our current salary in relation to the salary cap.
OK. I didn't think the Bird Rights applied in that sense. Guess there shouldn't be a problem then.

BrahCake954
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
kevin love, blake griffinm and rose

wall should less or the same as rondo, the guy is a terrible shooter and cant set guys up as well as rondo.. why is wall even in the discussion

i believe beasley will get some consideration after next yr he will get a nice contract, prob not the max, he will get better too

Cubs Win
01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
OK. I didn't think the Bird Rights applied in that sense. Guess there shouldn't be a problem then.

I'm fairly certain they do. It's possible I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.

SteBO
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm fairly certain they do. It's possible I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.
All I know is, PAY THE KID WHAT HE DESERVES, cuz he's certainly havin an MVP-like season so far.

Basketash
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2011&year_max=2011&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=3&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=25&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

the top 5 :D

what about steph curry?

Carey
01-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I think Westbrook will get 11 to 12 million per for 5 years(somewhere around Rondo's deal)

DaBUU
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
outside of Rose the only other player i see as being a lock at this moment is Westbrook. If the Thunder dont offer it, someone will, he's a tremendous young player. The other guys close are JWall and The Real B.G., and their issue will be staying healthy. If they both stay healthy and contribute they way that are capable of, they'll also get the max.

pd1dish
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
john wall, derrick rose

my hopeful pick is evan turner. as a huge OSU fan, i got to see him a lot while he was in college. i hope he develops into a dominant scorer in this league.

todu82
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose

pd1dish
01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
kevin love, blake griffinm and rose

wall should less or the same as rondo, the guy is a terrible shooter and cant set guys up as well as rondo.. why is wall even in the discussion

i believe beasley will get some consideration after next yr he will get a nice contract, prob not the max, he will get better too

wall is in his first year and has only played in 20 games. give the guy a chance. he is always going to be the fastest guy on the court, he is great at finishing, and he is averaging 8.5 assists on a really bad team. his jump shot is going to develop. hell, he is 20 years old. hes never had to shoot the ball because in high school and college he just drove by everybody else. he will develop a jump shot and when he does, everybody better watch out for him.

believeinNYK
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Derrick rose is a lock to get a max
Maybe Kevin love, I think if Westbrook isn't offered a max, someone will and he'll have to make a decision
and at the rate he's playing, Blake griffin as well

Btw I don't see how so many people are mentioning John wall, he hasnt had an extraordinary season and has missed alot of games so until he starts to play like a star I wouldnt give him a max, and for those saying Eric Gordon IMO he is not worth a max

Baller1
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
So he'll have foot problems the rest of his career despite never having surgery ever in his entire life?

To me, his rookie stats were inflated being on a team with no firepower. He's a great player, but he doesn't strike me as a player you build your franchise around. Just my opinion.

el_primo_nano
01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Derrick Rose and Blake Griffin should get the max.

DaBUU
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Derrick rose is a lock to get a max
Maybe Kevin love, I think if Westbrook isn't offered a max, someone will and he'll have to make a decision
and at the rate he's playing, Blake griffin as well

Btw I don't see how so many people are mentioning John wall, he hasnt had an extraordinary season and has missed alot of games so until he starts to play like a star I wouldnt give him a max, and for those saying Eric Gordon IMO he is not worth a max

for me at least, i say JWall cuz of his talent level and skill set. Obviuosly he has to stay healthy and consistant, but he has all the tools to be a top 3 PG. That would get him the max.

F*(&"Next Year"
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
besides those already mentioned, brook lopez could get it.

xabial
01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

for what? Brook needs to get his team into the playoffs maybe even as an eighth seed which means even with a sub .500 at least ONCE, before brook gets a max. Brook's a good player but i have a feeling a max to brook would cripple their franchise.

tredigs
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
for me at least, i say JWall cuz of his talent level and skill set. Obviuosly he has to stay healthy and consistant, but he has all the tools to be a top 3 PG. That would get him the max.

I agree with this. He'll also be a seat filler, and some owners love that just as much as winning.

MiamiWadeCounty
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
agree with the OP

DaBUU
01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

i have a hard time seeing a 7 foot center that is unable to grab 7 boards a game getting the max, imo.

Cubsfan365
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I think Rose is definitely deserving of a max contract, however I can definitely picture him accepting a contract less than the max. You could consider it a hometown discount, plus I really don't see him as a player who would demand a MAX contract. He is one of the most humble players in the league, loves Chicago, and wants to help his team and win as much as possible.

nickdymez
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Thats the stupidest thing ive ever read

Arena Football
01-04-2011, 06:40 PM

Get off John Wall's dick. The man can't stay healthy and is a turnover machine. He'll never be as good as Rose or Westbrook.

nickdymez
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM

No homo

SteveNash
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Thats the stupidest thing ive ever read

Cheaper the contract the easier it is to bring in more talent? What's wrong with this fact?

hotpotato1092
01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
The whole "if you take the max you're not committed to winning" thing is ridiculous. Remember the guy who cared more about winning than anyone else ever (Michael Jordan) made 30 million dollars in his last season. Does giving up money for the sake of the team show a commitment to winning? Absolutely, but taking the max doesn't mean you don't have that same commitment. If you're getting paid the max you likely deserve it and the money is better spent on you than any other player the team could use that money for.

NetsPaint
01-05-2011, 02:00 AM
The whole "if you take the max you're not committed to winning" thing is ridiculous. Remember the guy who cared more about winning than anyone else ever (Michael Jordan) made 30 million dollars in his last season. Does giving up money for the sake of the team show a commitment to winning? Absolutely, but taking the max doesn't mean you don't have that same commitment. If you're getting paid the max you likely deserve it and the money is better spent on you than any other player the team could use that money for.
Agreed. Only thing for me is, a franchise max level player should accept less, but let management know not to spend that close to him, the same, or more unless the player absolutely is that great. You should leave other players to be able to join and set an example to others to do the same.

mttwlsn16
01-05-2011, 02:07 AM
seeing how there is likely to be a new CBA...who knows at this point. I hope Blake AND EJ dont both command max's. hope they do like the miami heat do (cant believe im saying this) but take less money to stay with LAC and let other pieces come in and help build toward a championship

mttwlsn16
01-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Get off John Wall's dick. The man can't stay healthy and is a turnover machine. He'll never be as good as Rose or Westbrook.

agreed. so far all JWall has proven is that when healthy hes good but he likes to be injured and collect money for sitting his asss on the bench

mttwlsn16
01-05-2011, 02:11 AM

this made me LOL almost as much as the midget you have set as your icon lol