PDA

View Full Version : Griffin and Fields wins Rookie of The Month again

knicks09
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
The New York Knicks’ Landry Fields and the Los Angels Clippers’ Blake Griffin today were named the Eastern and Western Conference T-Mobile Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played through December.

Among Eastern Conference rookies Fields ranked second in scoring (8.8 ppg), third in rebounding (7.9 rpg) and led all rookies in steals (1.23 spg). He started all 13 games for the Knicks during the month, scored in double figures in six games and recorded five games with 10 or more rebounds.

Griffin led all rookies in scoring (23.0 ppg) and rebounding (13.5 rpg). He also ranked third in steals (0.87 spg), second in assists (3.9 apg) and first in minutes (38.5 mpg).

Fields and Griffin also won the award in November.

2nd Round pick :clap:

Minimal
01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
21.7 PPG 12.50 RPG 3.2 APG 25.06 PER
It's Griffin till the end of the YEAR!
There isn't any serious concurrence for Fields in the East.

DerekRE_3
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
For the Eastern conference

thekmp211
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM
griffin is just bulldozing through the so-called rookie wall

Cool007
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
This year's Rookie draft class is nothing but a big Poo Poo.

Wall has been missing games or Fields wouldn't even be close.

Enjoy it while it lasts. If Taj Gibson was a rookie this year instead of last year, it would be interesting to see who would win it between him and fields???

:D

DerekRE_3
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
griffin is just bulldozing through the so-called rookie wall

Not saying he will hit it, but he's still a good 25 games away from it.

tangent12
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Pity award, nothing more.

mudvayne387
01-03-2011, 05:03 PM

So this is Landy;s fault, or is it the Knicks fault ? Perhaps its the fans fault that every other rookie in the East is not living up to their potential, or are getting lost in the shuffle. Please don't take away from a very impressive accomplishment from a 2nd round pick who easily could of went un-drafted. Its not like the guy is averaging 2.4 points per game off the bench. He is starting on a playoff caliber team who is off to their best start since "Moby Dick was a Minnow". Sometimes you just have to give credit to where it is due, and the credit should be given to the Knicks for recognizing his potential, and to Field's who is obviously adjusting to the NBA game quite well.

kurivaimu
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Fields is playing good ball. Great all-arounder. Got to give him props.

dtmagnet
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
2nd Round pick :clap:

We know, you don't have to keep saying it. Anyways congratulations to him.

DaBUU
01-03-2011, 05:08 PM
for where he was taken and the minimal expectations, this kid is playing out of his mind.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
no doubt Fields will deserve consideration for runner up. Great pick by the Knicks, I am happy for him. But Blake is making this the most lopsided rookie race in a really long time

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 05:11 PM

give credit to the rook.....dont be so stupid and act like a jerk

tdunk21
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
can gary neal get some love too?????

Knicks Fire Dog
01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
no doubt Fields will deserve consideration for runner up. Great pick by the Knicks, I am happy for him. But Blake is making this the most lopsided rookie race in a really long time

Yup, your absolutely right. But even though I am a die hard Knicks Fan, I got to say, I do like your guy Wesley on the T-Wolves. He can really shoot lights out. I think he is going to be something special one day!

ManOnFire
01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
not much competition for Fields over the in the east it seems.

thekmp211
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
is griffin the clear ROY last year if he doesn't get hurt (assuming he's putting up the same numbers.)

i think he edges by evans.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 05:33 PM
is griffin the clear ROY last year if he doesn't get hurt (assuming he's putting up the same numbers.)

i think he edges by evans.

agreed, but I think it would have been a bigger gap than you do. And I don't mean that as a slight towards the year Evans had, but Griffin is having an unreal rookie year individually.

Giaps
01-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Griffin is an all-star but he is not a rookie.

It's a stupid rule that should be changed.

Fields is the real ROY in my book.

Flash3
01-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Your book must be a best seller.

thekmp211
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
agreed, but I think it would have been a bigger gap than you do. And I don't mean that as a slight towards the year Evans had, but Griffin is having an unreal rookie year individually.

i just think guard play will always have a bit of an upper hand over big man play, even with blakes dunks.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I wonder if Blake was drafted by the Knicks last season and was doing all what he's doing now as a knick and not a clipper would your opinion on that differ? :eyebrow:

29$JerZ
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
I wonder if Blake was drafted by the Knicks last season and was doing all what he's doing now as a knick and not a clipper would your opinion on that differ? :eyebrow:

If NY had Griffen no one would give a damn about ROTY and would be more concerned about All-star team and playoffs rather than Fields getting snubbed

John Walls Era
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I'll give credit where its due. But Wall was injured all month.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
If NY had Griffen no one would give a damn about ROTY and would be more concerned about All-star team and playoffs rather than Fields getting snubbed

did that answer the question? :no:

WHODAT8o8
01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
if it wasnt for griffin he might win ROY

29$JerZ
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Everyone would agree a healthy Wall would likely receive more votes for ROTY based on name alone.
Contributions to a playoff team don't matter in these type of votes sadly.
However until then its clear Fields is the real ROTY in the East at least.
Injuries are just a part of the game

Oden and Yao would be the West best Centers if they could stand up but now its Bynum and Haywood

Hustla23

I don't think that'd be fair to Blake.

I'm in favor of some kind of rule that defines how many games you have to play before you lose rookie status.

Slimsim
not much competition for Fields over the in the east it seems.

Turner, favor, Wall, were the top 3 picks in this year draft all in the east So what's the excuse of no competition ?

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
DAM the hate from the anti knick clowns i nhere is ridiculous. The kid is good... period. If he was on another team other than the knicks everyone would be riding his nut-s@#ks. Pitty award please the kid is playing way better than any rookiethis year east or western conf. Blake has had a year to travel with the team, train with the team & yeah he deserves the rookie of the year because he's flat out playing the best ( better than most vets too). But Landry Fields is the rookie playing the best right now, contributing to a winning team & he wasn't even supose to be drafted. STOP HATING !

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 05:51 PM

when wall was healthy fields was still contributing to winning more than he was. Wall is talented but he is not doing what we (including me) thought he would be doing.

DoMeFavors
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
damn the rookies have been bad this year, Landry Fields at 8 points a game is second in scoring? Wow the rookies this year are pretty bad.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Turner, favors, Wall, were the top 3 picks in this year draft all in the east So what's the excuse of no competition ?

It's just anti knick bias don't take the clowns serios. with the exception of wall in washington ,I tell you what put landry on those other teams & see if they wouldn't be better. Or imagine if washington would have drafted wall & landry how good would that team be right now LOL. good job donnie

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
damn the rookies have been bad this year, Landry Fields at 8 points a game is second in scoring? Wow the rookies this year are pretty bad.

look at his other numbers & what he contributes to winning.

DoMeFavors
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
look at his other numbers & what he contributes to winning.

Im not saying anything bad about Fields, Im saying look at the other rookies this year, Fields is 2nd in scoring at 8. Thats pretty crazy.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 05:59 PM
when wall was healthy fields was still contributing to winning more than he was. Wall is talented but he is not doing what we (including me) thought he would be doing.

:confused:

So u honestly think that a player who cant stay on the court will do as well as we thought. John Wall started off the season as EASILY a front runner for the award if it wasn't for injury he would have EASILY have been #2 next to Blake now and at season's end. If Landry was to get himself injured he would not have been a contributor on a winning team. Replace Landry with a healthy Wall and the Knicks would in all likeliness be a better team than they are now don't base your reasoning simply on the fact that the Knicks are better. Landry is playing very good and deserves all that he is achieving but don't discredit the effect injuries could have on a rookie PG especially the type that John has suffered from which really don't tend to go away.

Slimsim
01-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Which makes me scratch my head on Why Denver wants favors so bad. he looks like Jordan Hill 2.0.

DoMeFavors
01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Which makes me scratch my head on Why Denver wants favors so bad. he looks like Jordan Hill 2.0.

I dont even think they do want him that much, I would want Fields and Chandler much more than Fields if I was a Nugget fan but Chandler is a RFA and said he doesnt want to go to Denver, and also Landry is a RFA in 2 years. Atleast with Favors you can keep picking up his options.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 06:02 PM

eh, I think a "rookie" is a player who is PLAYING his first season. I am fine with the rule

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM

:laugh:

that is the funniest thing I have read all day. I am not a Nets fan by any means neither a fan of Favors but he's 19 long and has a TON of upside on both ends of the court. More so than Jordan ever did. Give him two seasons of starters minutes and lets hear what you say then.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
i just think guard play will always have a bit of an upper hand over big man play, even with blakes dunks.

well Blake is just flat out better statistically, and its not like Evans led his team to a huge improvement. Quite honestly, Blake is just a better player this season than Evans was last.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=evansty01&y1=2010&p2=griffbl01&y2=2011

its by a fair margin too.

Explain how guard play has the upper hand. Not sure what you mean

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Turner, favor, Wall, were the top 3 picks in this year draft all in the east So what's the excuse of no competition ?

haha, I was going to post the exact same thing. I would like to see what Wall could do healthy, but the fact is, he isn't. Fields is the best rookie out east so far.

NYsFinest
01-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I love the Knicks and Landry Fields, but the rookie class is REALLY weak this year. Goes to show you that draft picks are sometimes overrated, because outside of the top few picks I don't see many players becoming anything special. I also do not see the Favors hype, the he is 19 years old excuse doesn't work for me, its 30+ games into the season and all he has done is dunk off some alley-oops. People are enthralled with potential, however never learn from the fact that this potential is very rarely realized. Star big men that came into the league very young (KG, Amare, Howard) had shown A LOT more promise the first half of their rookie season than Favors.

Slimsim
01-03-2011, 06:09 PM
:laugh:

that is the funniest thing I have read all day. I am not a Nets fan by any means neither a fan of Favors but he's 19 long and has a TON of upside on both ends of the court. More so than Jordan ever did. Give him two seasons of starters minutes and lets hear what you say then.

So is Anthony Randolph and he can't even get garbage time. You can have all the upside in the world doesn't mean you going to live up to it. Landry fields had no upside and he's the 3rd best rookie in this suppose deep draft.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 06:10 PM

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/12/31/favors-nba-start-in-line-with-past-phenoms/

interesting article on that.

Slimsim
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
haha, I was going to post the exact same thing. I would like to see what Wall could do healthy, but the fact is, he isn't. Fields is the best rookie out east so far.

Wall if healthy is going to be number 1 in the East. Unless he is uninspired with all the losing and team mates fighting in clubs nonsense.

ATX
01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I'll give credit where credit is due, and Fields is do credit. The Knicks really did well in drafting Fields. He's played with a lot of gusto, especially on the big stage. But, how can you knock what Blake Griffin has been doing? It's not his fault he had a season ending injury. I can't believe some people on here have the audacity to call him a p uss y. He had to sit out and rehab. It's only fair he gets a shot at ROTY, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the rule as it is. I think most NY fans are happy they have Fields and happy they drafted one of the top ten players in the 2nd round. I'd certainly put Griffin, Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, Aminou, and some others ahead of him in terms of cieling. Fields has outplayed some of those guys due to injuries and such, but I give him credit. It's not his fault Wall (For example) is injured or that Turner is struggling. All he can do is keep playing, and excelling the best he can. And he has done a good job. Props to Feilds.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 06:21 PM
So is Anthony Randolph and he can't even get garbage time. You can have all the upside in the world doesn't mean you going to live up to it. Landry fields had no upside and he's the 3rd best rookie in this suppose deep draft.

1. I never mentioned anything about Landry.
2. Anthony Randolph is not 19 years old
3. There is a difference between a possible consistent back to the basket scoring threat and a perimeter big who may never get away from his tweener label
4. His upside is the reason they are interested in him, in all honesty what other option would they have if losing Melo.
5. He is the youngest player in the league. Give at least a full season before you write him off as a Jordan Hill.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
:confused:

So u honestly think that a player who cant stay on the court will do as well as we thought. John Wall started off the season as EASILY a front runner for the award if it wasn't for injury he would have EASILY have been #2 next to Blake now and at season's end. If Landry was to get himself injured he would not have been a contributor on a winning team. Replace Landry with a healthy Wall and the Knicks would in all likeliness be a better team than they are now don't base your reasoning simply on the fact that the Knicks are better. Landry is playing very good and deserves all that he is achieving but don't discredit the effect injuries could have on a rookie PG especially the type that John has suffered from which really don't tend to go away.

You tried to make sense but you made none. You sound crazy (if wall was on the knicks.... really) wall is way more talented than Fields thats not the point. Who is the best dam rookie overall this year... It would be landry fields, He does everything well (best rebounding guard) he's started all games, he's playing steady ball in the most hectic market for sports & oh yeah theyre winning. An the injury comment is even crazier, obviously if he got injured we wouldn't see what he can do, wall got injured in the chicago game & by then fields was allready being talked up as top 5 in the draft. JUST GIVE THE KID HIS PROPS !

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I'll give credit where credit is due, and Fields is do credit. The Knicks really did well in drafting Fields. He's played with a lot of gusto, especially on the big stage. But, how can you knock what Blake Griffin has been doing? It's not his fault he had a season ending injury. I can't believe some people on here have the audacity to call him a p uss y. He had to sit out and rehab. It's only fair he gets a shot at ROTY, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the rule as it is. I think most NY fans are happy they have Fields and happy they drafted one of the top ten players in the 2nd round. I'd certainly put Griffin, Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, Aminou, and some others ahead of him in terms of cieling. Fields has outplayed some of those guys due to injuries and such, but I give him credit. It's not his fault Wall (For example) is injured or that Turner is struggling. All he can do is keep playing, and excelling the best he can. And he has done a good job. Props to Feilds.

I can't hate on blake he's not only the rookie of the year though right now he's one of top 3 or 4 power forwards in the league. I'm bias so i'll say AMARE but really i watch this dude (lol league pass plug) he's really the best over all in the league. he plays defense,he rebounds like denis rodman, he has handle with both hands, he has a little jumper & he just uses dudes in the post he's like a better Shawn kemp. & your statements are hating on landry withought directly hating its not landry's fault that (other than wall) he is better than those guys. its not a fluke dude is good just watch the dam games.

Slimsim
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
1. I never mentioned anything about Landry.
2. Anthony Randolph is not 19 years old
3. There is a difference between a possible consistent back to the basket scoring threat and a perimeter big who may never get away from his tweener label
4. His upside is the reason they are interested in him, in all honesty what other option would they have if losing Melo.
5. He is the youngest player in the league. Give at least a full season before you write him off as a Jordan Hill.

Anthony Randolph was 19 when Drafted Show some nice upside in GS found himself in and out of Nelson dog house. Now he's on the Knicks at the age of 21 and still can't get minutes for a Team desperate for bench help. Although a little piece of me think Knicks are hiding him to protect him from trade rumors like what Boston did with rondo When making the trade for garnet.

Why would Denver want potential upside when they can get not fair but a legit NBA talent in Wilson Chandler and Landry fields who i would rather keep for cheaper.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
You tried to make sense but you made none. You sound crazy (if wall was on the knicks.... really) wall is way more talented than Fields thats not the point. Who is the best dam rookie overall this year... It would be landry fields, He does everything well (best rebounding guard) he's started all games, he's playing steady ball in the most hectic market for sports & oh yeah theyre winning. An the injury comment is even crazier, obviously if he got injured we wouldn't see what he can do, wall got injured in the chicago game & by then fields was allready being talked up as top 5 in the draft. JUST GIVE THE KID HIS PROPS !

You completely ignored EVERYTHING else I said and debated those 3 words. Where my point was that you can't blame Wall if his team is not winning. Don't you understand that. There were a bad team with a log jam and the point and Wall has not been healthy at all this season. I gave Landry his props I mean seriously did you not read the post?

Landry is playing very good and deserves all that he is achieving but don't discredit the effect injuries could have on a rookie PG especially the type that John has suffered from which really don't tend to go away.

did you even pay attention to when I said that?

What is your point on Landry being considered top 5 before Wall went down. Its only after Wall went down anyone started recognizing Landry, he lived in Wall's shadow not because of name but because of play. Wall was clearly better than him. You are making no sense whatsoever and just spinning yourself in circles.

ATX
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I can't hate on blake he's not only the rookie of the year though right now he's one of top 3 or 4 power forwards in the league. I'm bias so i'll say AMARE but really i watch this dude (lol league pass plug) he's really the best over all in the league. he plays defense, he has handle with both hands, he has a little jumper & he just uses dudes in the post he's like a better Shawn kemp. & your statements are hating on landry withought directly hating its not landry's fault that (other than wall) he is better than those guys. its not a fluke dudes is good just watch the dam games.

I wasn't hating on him at all. I was stating my opinion. That opinion is that I think there are better rookie players than Fields, but that Fields has outplayed those players thus far. Most of the players I consider to be "Better" I stated is because of "Upside". Anyways

DerekRE_3
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM

John Wall and Demarus cousins beg to differ

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 06:40 PM
You completely ignored EVERYTHING else I said and debated those 3 words. Where my point was that you can't blame Wall if his team is not winning. Don't you understand that. There were a bad team with a log jam and the point and Wall has not been healthy at all this season. I gave Landry his props I mean seriously did you not read the post?

did you even pay attention to when I said that?

What is your point on Landry being considered top 5 before Wall went down. Its only after Wall went down anyone started recognizing Landry, he lived in Wall's shadow not because of name but because of play. Wall was clearly better than him. You are making no sense whatsoever and just spinning yourself in circles.

lol your a clown (spinning in circles) i read your points & maybe you didn't understand what i said, wall is obviously the better talent but he is directly reponsible for his teams succes he has the ball in his hands, he runs the plays. landry has to work his *** off just to get a bucket or a rebound. Not debating wether wall is the better talent but go & check espn's rookie rankings when wall was healthy, landry was still getting recognition. I'm not asking you for recognition i'm just trying to make my point.

Giaps
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Your book must be a best seller.
So no input? Just bad jokes? :)

Not at all. Griffin is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

Because I'm a Knicks fan makes my statement less true?

If Griffin sits out the entire year next year, then plays like an all-star the year after that (his 4th year) does he make the sophomore team????

It's a stupid rule.

eh, I think a "rookie" is a player who is PLAYING his first season. I am fine with the rule
This isn't anything against Griffin, it's the rule I don't like. Griffin went to practice, learned from vets and coaches, watched the games, got a feel for the NBA schedule etc. He has a lot of advantages going into his 2nd season despite not playing.

Both are clearly better players, but they're not having better seasons. Unfortunately for Wall, he's been hurt too much (so far). Cousins' play so far has not impressed me and his attitude has been even worse.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I wasn't hating on him at all. I was stating my opinion. That opinion is that I think there are better rookie players than Fields, but that Fields has outplayed those players thus far. Most of the players I consider to be "Better" I stated is because of "Upside". Anyways

Upside means nothing, Eddy Curry is one of the best centers in the league if you go by upside. Alot of talented players sit on the bench & watch & don't contribute. i can understand upside but it all comes down to who is helping the team win not who has upside. Darko had upside do you think detroit regrets taking darko over melo mmmmmm i think so.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Anthony Randolph was 19 when Drafted Show some nice upside in GS found himself in and out of Nelson dog house. Now he's on the Knicks at the age of 21 and still can't get minutes for a Team desperate for bench help. Although a little piece of me think Knicks are hiding him to protect him from trade rumors like what Boston did with rondo When making the trade for garnet.

Why would Denver want potential upside when they can get not fair but a legit NBA talent in Wilson Chandler and Landry fields who i would rather keep for cheaper.

Why did Portland take Greg Oden over Kevin Durant? Why did Detroit take Darko over Melo? Why despite the MANY rumors and chances the Lakers are yet to and may never trade Andrew Bynum? Why?

That's your answer right there.

An all star quality (in this case simply potential he has shown NOTHING to merit him being called AS quality) big man in 10 times more valuable than serviceable above average wing players. They tried building their team around Melo and they failed they may now like to try building a team around a centerpiece who could potentially be a rock inside for years to come. If you still don't understand then IMO you are being biased. I don't believe that Favors will develop into the next Kevin Garnett hell I am not even sold that he'd be Lamarcus Aldidge but size is everything in most teams mind and couple that with Favors' age and skill they have good reasoning for wanting him over who the Knicks have to offer.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 06:48 PM

If Griffin sits out the entire year next year, then plays like an all-star the year after that (his 4th year) does he make the sophomore team????

It's a stupid rule.

Can't agree more lol i'm a knick fan & after i watch my knick games, i find myself finding out if the clippers played & what blake did tonight . Dude is a straight up animal. F@#&K it i'l lsay it he's top three right now in the league as far as powerforwards.

omdigga
01-03-2011, 06:51 PM
landry is the mandry...

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
lol your a clown (spinning in circles) i read your points & maybe you didn't understand what i said, wall is obviously the better talent but he is directly reponsible for his teams succes he has the ball in his hands, he runs the plays. landry has to work his *** off just to get a bucket or a rebound. Not debating wether wall is the better talent but go & check espn's rookie rankings when wall was healthy, landry was still getting recognition. I'm not asking you for recognition i'm just trying to make my point.

Are you slow or simply dense do you understand the reason of a (,) comma? Why didnt you highlight the entire sentence. If Landry was always scene as a top 2 rookie why wasn't he spoken in the same breath as John Wall and Blake Griffin when the season started? YES he was being recognized but certainly not like he is now nor would have been if Wall remained healthy and playing fantastic ball (albeit for a team who isn't as good as Landry's).

While Wall was healthy at NO time did anyone say hey Landry is the better player or even thought of muttering such a thing because they would have been %100 WRONG. Wall simply outclassed him. He was in Wall's shadow. He is a FANTASTIC player, it is amazing what he is doing but talent aside we are talking about plain and simple nothing more nothing less PRODUCTION a healthy Wall is the better player any day of the week. No debating that.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Why did Portland take Greg Oden over Kevin Durant? Why did Detroit take Darko over Melo? Why despite the MANY rumors and chances the Lakers are yet to and may never trade Andrew Bynum? Why?

An all star quality (in this case simply potential he has shown NOTHING to merit him being called AS quality) big man in 10 times more valuable than serviceable above average wing players. They tried building their team around Melo and they failed they may now like to try building a team around a centerpiece who could potentially be a rock inside for years to come. If you still don't understand then IMO you are being biased. I don't believe that Favors will develop into the next Kevin Garnett hell I am not even sold that he'd be Lamarcus Aldidge but size is everything in most teams mind and couple that with Favors' age and skill they have good reasoning for wanting him over who the Knicks have to offer.

I likeyour posts so don't take this question the wrong way are you telling me you would rather build your organization around favors & maybe some other bums from the nets than carmelo anthony. & isn't it the other way around denver wants to keep melo but melo doen't think they can build a good team around him. because so far melo's has been pretty successful in denver (no rings) but succesful. Lol portland really messed up with that one they'll regret it for years until durant retires.

thekmp211
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
well Blake is just flat out better statistically, and its not like Evans led his team to a huge improvement. Quite honestly, Blake is just a better player this season than Evans was last.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=evansty01&y1=2010&p2=griffbl01&y2=2011

its by a fair margin too.

Explain how guard play has the upper hand. Not sure what you mean

just in terms of flashiness. i understand that griffin is having a noticeably better season than evans' last year, but i just think people enjoy/respect outstanding guard play more than they do outstanding play by big guys.

upper hand in terms of perception is all i meant, popularity.

Swashcuff

It's a stupid rule.

There is nothing wrong with that rule bro.

And YES because you are a Knick fan your opinion on the topic is skewed. I would love to know if Blake was a Knick hell if Landry was drafted last season and producing like this this season would the majority of Knick fans (including yourself) have a problem with the rule. I am CERTAIN opinions on it would change. Just like Knicks fans opinions on LeBron after he took his talents to south beach.

NYsFinest

An all star quality (in this case simply potential he has shown NOTHING to merit him being called AS quality) big man in 10 times more valuable than serviceable above average wing players. They tried building their team around Melo and they failed they may now like to try building a team around a centerpiece who could potentially be a rock inside for years to come. If you still don't understand then IMO you are being biased. I don't believe that Favors will develop into the next Kevin Garnett hell I am not even sold that he'd be Lamarcus Aldidge but size is everything in most teams mind and couple that with Favors' age and skill they have good reasoning for wanting him over who the Knicks have to
offer.

How did that work out for all those teams? I agree the league is OBSESSED with potential... however never seem to learn that potential rarely ever works out, it is extremely rare that a very raw big who struggles early in his career becomes outright dominant later in his career.

thekmp211
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
guys, landry fields is awesome, but he's an awesome role player.

if he wasn't playing with guys named amar'e, felton, chandler, gallinari ect. there would be no winning to contribute to.

i really like the guy, and am happy that the knicks got a keeper in the second round. hell, i think they should hold on to him over pretty much every other player they have if they trade for melo. but enough with the contributions/recognition thing. we get the point, there's no need to take it personally when someone points out that blake griffin is destroying the league and is just having a more outstanding individual season.

Swashcuff
I likeyour posts so don't take this question the wrong way are you telling me you would rather build your organization around favors & maybe some other bums from the nets than carmelo anthony. & isn't it the other way around denver wants to keep melo but melo doen't think they can build a good team around him. because so far melo's has been pretty successful in denver (no rings) but succesful. Lol portland really messed up with that one they'll regret it for years until durant retires.

Again are you SLOW? That is not the point!!!!

Melo is a WING player

WING

a SMALL FORWARD

Favors is a POWER forward. Do you understand now. If they are going to lose Melo they are not willing to go in the same direction again.

And YES Melo has had a great career and YES the Nuggets had a good run but fact of the matter is two wing players are not what they are looking for right now.

DerekRE_3
So no input? Just bad jokes? :)

It's a stupid rule.

This isn't anything against Griffin, it's the rule I don't like. Griffin went to practice, learned from vets and coaches, watched the games, got a feel for the NBA schedule etc. He has a lot of advantages going into his 2nd season despite not playing.

Both are clearly better players, but they're not having better seasons. Unfortunately for Wall, he's been hurt too much (so far). Cousins' play so far has not impressed me and his attitude has been even worse.

Then you haven't seen cousins play lately. The light is starting to come on.

NYsFinest
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
For every raw big man success story, there is about 10 busts...

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Are you slow or simply dense do you understand the reason of a (,) comma? Why didnt you highlight the entire sentence. If Landry was always scene as a top 2 rookie why wasn't he spoken in the same breath as John Wall and Blake Griffin when the season started? YES he was being recognized but certainly not like he is now nor would have been if Wall remained healthy and playing fantastic ball (albeit for a team who isn't as good as Landry's).

While Wall was healthy at NO time did anyone say hey Landry is the better player or even thought of muttering such a thing because they would have been %100 WRONG. Wall simply outclassed him. He was in Wall's shadow. He is a FANTASTIC player, it is amazing what he is doing but talent aside we are talking about plain and simple nothing more nothing less PRODUCTION a healthy Wall is the better player any day of the week. No debating that.

Aight Moron since were going wit hthe name calling let me enlighten you, he wasn't mentiond in the same breath as any rookie because he wasn't supose to be drafted he has proven that in this draft class on talent alone, he belongs in the top 5 right after wall (maybe wall & favors) Were not comparing walls talent (class) to landry i & almost everbody else is saying landry is in the ROY race because of what he's doing now & his upside. Landry was never seen as top 2 because of wall & griffins overall talents but he is top 5 in this years rookie class, PERIOD !

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
guys, landry fields is awesome, but he's an awesome role player.

if he wasn't playing with guys named amar'e, felton, chandler, gallinari ect. there would be no winning to contribute to.

i really like the guy, and am happy that the knicks got a keeper in the second round. hell, i think they should hold on to him over pretty much every other player they have if they trade for melo. but enough with the contributions/recognition thing. we get the point, there's no need to take it personally when someone points out that blake griffin is destroying the league and is just having a more outstanding individual season.

that in itself is the entire point.

I don't understand why Knicks fans say that Landry should be ROY because he plays for a winning/playoff team when that same team has the leading MVP candidate. Amar'e is the reason for the knicks doing so well not Landry. His role while not easily replaceable can be replaced.

ATX
01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Upside means nothing, Eddy Curry is one of the best centers in the league if you go by upside. Alot of talented players sit on the bench & watch & don't contribute. i can understand upside but it all comes down to who is helping the team win not who has upside. Darko had upside do you think detroit regrets taking darko over melo mmmmmm i think so.

That's why I put upside in quotes. Obviously, it's not a science. NBA exects draft based on things such as upside, and it involves guess work. Aside from Wall and Griffin, who are hands down the best rookies in this class, to me players like Cousins, Aminou, Johnson for example, have more "Upside" in the long run to make the bigger impact. Again, this is just an opinion. No sweat though man, Fields is a baller, and I was trying to give him props, albeit not ROTY props like most Knicks fans wanted in this thread.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
How did that work out for all those teams? I agree the league is OBSESSED with potential... however never seem to learn that potential rarely ever works out, it is extremely rare that a very raw big who struggles early in his career becomes outright dominant later in his career.

There is a reason they did it. That is ALL I am saying. There is a reason why teams have taken the root of the big with tons of upside over the proven wing player(s). Every NBA dynasty with the exception of the 90's bulls has had a HOF Big either leading or co-staring. Every team is in search of the next Duncan, Dirk, KG, etc. THAT is the reason. I never said it worked out well or they made the right move I am just saying that is the reason for their decision.

DwayneMVPwade
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Congratz to Fields. However, can Fields do it with Wall healthy for the entire month?

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Again are you SLOW? That is not the point!!!!

Melo is a WING player

WING

a SMALL FORWARD

Favors is a POWER forward. Do you understand now. If they are going to lose Melo they are not willing to go in the same direction again.

And YES Melo has had a great career and YES the Nuggets had a good run but fact of the matter is two wing players are not what they are looking for right now.

whats with the modem tough guy talk, thats why i said i'm just asking you a question. why can't you win a championship with your two best players being wing players (jordan / pippen) when & if the nuggets get favors in a trade for melo lets see how many drafts its gona take them to find a wing (a small forward or shooting / point guard) player that he's gona need to be successful.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Aight Moron since were going wit hthe name calling let me enlighten you, he wasn't mentiond in the same breath as any rookie because he wasn't supose to be drafted he has proven that in this draft class on talent alone, he belongs in the top 5 right after wall (maybe wall & favors) Were not comparing walls talent (class) to landry i & almost everbody else is saying landry is in the ROY race because of what he's doing now & his upside. Landry was never seen as top 2 because of wall & griffins overall talents but he is top 5 in this years rookie class, PERIOD !

Finally you put your ignorance aside and started making some sense.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
whats with the modem tough guy talk, thats why i said i'm just asking you a question. why can't you win a championship with your two best players being wing players (jordan / pippen) when & if the nuggets get favors in a trade for melo lets see how many drafts its gona take them to find a wing (a small forward or shooting / point guard) player that he's gona need to be successful.

The two wing players I am talking about are Landry Fields and Wilson Chandler ok. If you don't understand the conversation please stay out because you are really making yourself look bad.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
That's why I put upside in quotes. Obviously, it's not a science. NBA exects draft based on things such as upside, and it involves guess work. Aside from Wall and Griffin, who are hands down the best rookies in this class, to me players like Cousins, Aminou, Johnson for example, have more "Upside" in the long run to make the bigger impact. Again, this is just an opinion. No sweat though man, Fields is a baller, and I was trying to give him props, albeit not ROTY props like most Knicks fans wanted in this thread.

Good ish Man wish some of the other moronic posters could explain your opinion like you did without trying to be tough. Lol i'm a knick fan & i think there's no way landry should win rookie of the year just because of the beast in LA & the animal in Washington. I think the knick fans in here are just sticking up for theyre player because there's just too much hate around MR. Fields, the kid is a baller like you said & he will get better !

mttwlsn16
01-03-2011, 07:15 PM

thank u hawk15...also thanks for taking care of everything on the clipper threads. much appreciated

Nikeman
01-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Fields plays a solid all around game, but give Wall 10 or so games, and he'll win back the East :)

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
The two wing players I am talking about are Landry Fields and Wilson Chandler ok. If you don't understand the conversation please stay out because you are really making yourself look bad.

Lol your a clown again your making yourself look foolish no need for the conversation to go any further you can't prove your point withought trying to be a smart A@$ .

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Lol your a clown again your making yourself look foolish no need for the conversation to go any further you can't prove your point withought trying to be a smart A@$ .

Thanks ma'am next time take a read of the thread and try to have some sort of understanding of what you are talking about before trying to debate because you made absolutely NO sense until the last part of post #70.

Don Starks
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
The only thing I will say in relation to the Griffin controversy is that he got paid last year even though he didn't play. That pay check makes him a professional athlete and in that way this could be considered his sophomore season. I think Barkley commented on this one night. He said how just sitting on the bench and learning the game on the sideline puts him at an advantage over other rookies who have never experienced the game at this level.

with that said Griffin is light years ahead of every other rookie this year, and if say, hypothetically griffin wasn't considered a rookie because of his professional status last year, Landy fields would be the ROTY this season. As good as Landry has been, if he were to win ROTY, it would show what a weak class the 2010 draft has been.

Problemchild
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks ma'am next time take a read of the thread and try to have some sort of understanding of what you are talking about before trying to debate because you made absolutely NO sense until the last part of post #70.

to everyone but you :facepalm:

John Walls Era
01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Everyone would agree a healthy Wall would likely receive more votes for ROTY based on name alone.
Contributions to a playoff team don't matter in these type of votes sadly.
However until then its clear Fields is the real ROTY in the East at least.
Injuries are just a part of the game

Oden and Yao would be the West best Centers if they could stand up but now its Bynum and Haywood

Bynum is injury prone. The example I made is different. John Wall is healthy now.

Supa
01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Griffin is making Fields' numbers look puny in comparison. Can't wait to see him at All-Star game.

---

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
The only thing I will say in relation to the Griffin controversy is that he got paid last year even though he didn't play. That pay check makes him a professional athlete and in that way this could be considered his sophomore season. I think Barkley commented on this one night. He said how just sitting on the bench and learning the game on the sideline puts him at an advantage over other rookies who have never experienced the game at this level.

with that said Griffin is light years ahead of every other rookie this year, and if say, hypothetically griffin wasn't considered a rookie because of his professional status last year, Landy fields would be the ROTY this season. As good as Landry has been, if he were to win ROTY, it would show what a weak class the 2010 draft has been.

Great post!

While I don't have any problem with him being considered a rookie there is good reason also as to why he should not be considered.

I believe they said the reason for the rule change was because being drafted doesn't mean you are a rookie you have to actually play in a game first and whether or not you sign your rookie contract it doesn't officially make you an NBA player. Barkley also made a great point however he was certainly at a major advantage over anyone else drafted this season.

Kashmir13579
01-03-2011, 07:53 PM
i don't think i've ever seen you post something friendly or even productive.

no doubt. Fields has no chance against his numbers and poster dunks. Blake is an absolute monster.

Slimsim
01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Congratz to Fields. However, can Fields do it with Wall healthy for the entire month?

Fields in the 5th option Wall is the first Option and has the ball most of the time since he's the PG

Kashmir13579
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Fields has the edge over both of them. if the season ended right now, and Blake wasn't considered a rookie, it would go to Fields over Cousins and Wall. (this is obviously hypothetical). i'm not saying they won't turn out to be better players someday (especially Wall). but RIGHT NOW, Fields has them both beat. you can disagree all you want but you'd be doing so out of preference.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Fields in the 5th option Wall is the first Option and has the ball most of the time since he's the PG

IMO if Fields was a 2nd option his efficiency would take a SIGNIFICANT hit. He's in the perfect situation to maximize his competencies at this point in his career. He's great and performing excellently but let's be real Wall is in a totally different class.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
just in terms of flashiness. i understand that griffin is having a noticeably better season than evans' last year, but i just think people enjoy/respect outstanding guard play more than they do outstanding play by big guys.

upper hand in terms of perception is all i meant, popularity.

well, I think Blake's dunks make up for any flash Evans may have had.

And dude, us more intelligent fans here on PSD shouldn't care about flash. Lets peel that away and look who is better

Kashmir13579
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
IMO if Fields was a 2nd option his efficiency would take a SIGNIFICANT hit. He's in the perfect situation to maximize his competencies at this point in his career. He's great and performing excellently but let's be real Wall is in a totally different class.

He's not a second option. nor will he ever be. so thats really a moot point. He's Shane Battier junior with a dash of Doug Christie. he is what he is, man; and he's playing really well.

Kashmir13579
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
And dude, us more intelligent fans here on PSD shouldn't care about flash. Lets peel that away and look who is better

you need to clone yourself 89 times then make them all PSD accounts.

thekmp211
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
well, I think Blake's dunks make up for any flash Evans may have had.

no doubt. if i were in charge, there would be no question.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
He's not a second option. nor will he ever be. so thats really a moot point. He's Shane Battier junior with a dash of Doug Christie. he is what he is, man; and he's playing really well.

it was a rebuttal to the point the other poster made. Reading my post by itself will not give you a gist of my meaning of post. I don't think he's that type of player but the other poster gave reasoning for Landry not being on a healthy Wall's level because of John's usage which is inconsistent.

Kashmir13579
01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
it was a rebuttal to the point the other poster made. Reading my post by itself will not give you a gist of my meaning of post. I don't think he's that type of player but the other poster gave reasoning for Landry not being on a healthy Wall's level because of John's usage which is inconsistent.

hmmm... maybe that is something you should work on. lol;)

just messin', man. i know how it gets on here. i was only responding to the post that i read.

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
hmmm... maybe that is something you should work on. lol;)

Lol since it was a reply to another I don't think I should :p

DerekRE_3
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Fields has the edge over both of them. if the season ended right now, and Blake wasn't considered a rookie, it would go to Fields over Cousins and Wall. (this is obviously hypothetical). i'm not saying they won't turn out to be better players someday (especially Wall). but RIGHT NOW, Fields has them both beat. you can disagree all you want but you'd be doing so out of preference.

Pretty sure last week Fields was pretty bad so I wouldn use the right now statement. Also pretty sure Fields isn't commanding double teams and having an offense ran through him.

NYKNYGNYY
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
next is r.o.y i hope

Kashmir13579
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Pretty sure last week Fields was pretty bad so I wouldn use the right now statement. Also pretty sure Fields isn't commanding double teams and having an offense ran through him.

he had a couple off games. Landry still has em beat statistically.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=fieldla01&y1=2011&p2=walljo01&y2=2011&p3=couside01&y3=2011

Swashcuff
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM

I am no Fields defender but I respect what he has done this far this season and THUS FAR he has had better production that Demarcus. By season's end it will be a different conversation but I in all honesty am of the opinion that he has had a more productive season than all rookies not named Blake Griffin.

RedRicanoBx
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Fields bball IQ is ********... !!

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
you need to clone yourself 89 times then make them all PSD accounts.

haha, well I think you would find a good amount of posters who would not like that one bit

Evolution23
01-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Fields is doing his thing. People need to stop hating.

boozdawg
01-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Fields only gets hype because he plays in new york

nystandup
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
thatta boy Landry keep doin your thing

nystandup
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM

your right his stats as a rookie play no part in it at all

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM

um, no he doesn't. He gets hype because he is arguably one of the best perimeter rebounders in the game, scores when given the opportunity, and can defend 2-3 positions. The kid is legit, and any team in the NBA would LOVE to have him.
Stop with your absolute statement against NY players. Its old and tired

camador22
01-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I've seen him play quite a bit this season. I still wouldn't pick him top 10 but he plays like a vetern, great range and doesn't make many mistakes. However, he's not very explosive and I'm skeptical about how much better he could get.

tredigs
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
A mod doesn't want to change the title to "Fields AND Griffin win Rookie of the Month once again", or something along those lines?

The homerness annoys me, this isn't the Knicks forum.

That said, big fan of them both (and own them both in fantasy, watch both teams quite a lot). Griffin should be the unanimous ROY, but Fields is a great little glue guy.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2011, 09:50 PM
A mod doesn't want to change the title to "Fields AND Griffin win Rookie of the Month once again", or something along those lines?

The homerness annoys me, this isn't the Knicks forum.

yikes, I even thought of that on the way home from work. My b

Hindy27
01-03-2011, 09:50 PM
This.
If you say anything against him then you're a hater as well.

He has done better than expected but to say he is statistically better than Wall is insane. He has a better FG% and better rpg but Wall is way ahead in everything else. As others have said, if Wall was healthy Fields wouldn't even be thought of for ROM, and with Griffin tearing the league a new one Fields even being in the ROY discussion is laughable.

So yeah he is doing well considering where he was picked and he is a good rebounding guard, also efficient, but the Fields homerism is way over the top. Look at the stats link posted by Kashmir, the link shows Cousins and Wall are better statistically but somehow with his Knickerbocker glasses on he is using it as evidence to support Fields.

I'm not hating on Fields, he was a very good pick up, but don't go overboard.

el_primo_nano
01-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Fields is playing out of his mind for a second rounder. Shame that no other East 1st rounder is playing up to potential. Shows that hard work pays off..

NYKnicks4511
01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
This.

He has done better than expected but to say he is statistically better than Wall is insane. He has a better FG% and better rpg but Wall is way ahead in everything else. As others have said, if Wall was healthy Fields wouldn't even be thought of for ROM, and with Griffin tearing the league a new one Fields even being in the ROY discussion is laughable.

So yeah he is doing well considering where he was picked and he is a good rebounding guard, also efficient, but the Fields homerism is way over the top. Look at the stats link posted by Kashmir, the link shows Cousins and Wall are better statistically but somehow with his Knickerbocker glasses on he is using it as evidence to support Fields.

I don't think anyone is meaning to say that Fields will end up being a superstar like Blake Griffin or John Wall -- it's pretty obvious that their potential combined with what they've done already thus far in the season puts them in another league among rookies. A combination of Wall's injuries and Fields' veteran-esque play for a resurgent Knicks team factor into this award.

To anyone who says Fields' accolades are only because he 'plays in New York', should also take into account that starting as a rookie in New York comes with a heck of a lot of pressure. To turn that into a positive, I think he's played with a lot of poise, and hopefully he can ease past the rookie wall (assuming he hits it).

tredigs
01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Fields is playing out of his mind for a second rounder. Shame that no other East 1st rounder is playing up to potential. Shows that hard work pays off..

A fair point (slash dig/bait), but if I was a betting man - I'd put money on Wall winning 2 of the next 3 ROM awards and finishing second in the overall voting.

Fields has earned his recognition thus far though. He's perfect for them, and his efficiency is huge for a rookie. It's on Wall to stay on the court to earn his own, and from there I feel his game will begin to do the talking (from a per-game angle, I'd expect to see about 19 - 9 - 5 with 2.5 stls a game over the rest of the season*).

*Assumes no more major time off battling injury.

jimm120
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
This.

Fields EARNED the November Rookie of the month
Fields fough hard in December, but if Wall had played, Wall would have won IN DECEMBER.

In November? Fields won legit.

el_primo_nano
01-03-2011, 11:01 PM
A fair point (slash dig/bait), but if I was a betting man - I'd put money on Wall winning 2 of the next 3 ROM awards and finishing second in the overall voting.

Fields has earned his recognition thus far though. He's perfect for them, and his efficiency is huge for a rookie. It's on Wall to stay on the court to earn his own, and from there I feel his game will begin to do the talking (from a per-game angle, I'd expect to see about 19 - 9 - 5 with 2.5 stls a game over the rest of the season*).

*Assumes no more major time off battling injury.

I am shocked Wall isnt living up to potential.. He is bound to snap out of it though, he is too good. I almost forgot about him...

MJ-BULLS
01-03-2011, 11:03 PM
no surprise. Blake Griffin is going to win the rookie of the year.

Fields has been a pleasant surprise and good pickup for the New York Knicks.

ElMarroAfamado
01-04-2011, 03:11 AM

u.......mad?

ElMarroAfamado
01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
I like both...but Blake is probably going to runaway with it...Evans won it and his team was horrible so it doesnt matter the Clippers have a bad record

DoJoTheSlasher
01-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Out of this Draft class, John Wall is the only sure fire star. So far, DeMarcus Cousins has started to show he CAN BE an All Star calibur player. Wesley Johnson and Derrick Favors seem like they will both be bery good starters but nothing else in their career. Evan Turner has been a bust but he will turn it around and be on Johnson and Favors level. Udoh, Monroe, Aminu and Davis all look like they can be nice starters as well but nothing special. Gordan Hayward was an awful pick and is nothing more than a bench player if that. Everyone else is nothing more than a role player, some better than others, unless some blossom into more than that. Overall, very weak draft class.

Afridi786
01-04-2011, 03:40 AM
This draft class sucked, other than Wall it was pure crap. When a guy is putting up single digit points and rebounds wins rookie of the month, shows how weak it was.

HOZ THE KNICK
01-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Fields was the 39 pck in the draft you have to love it..........

xabial
01-04-2011, 04:01 AM
This draft class sucked, other than Wall it was pure crap. When a guy is putting up single digit points and rebounds wins rookie of the month, shows how weak it was.

yea but that guy is a GUARD and averaging 7.4 boards a game. He leads all guards in rebounds not just rookies. And he's averaging 10ppg as the fifth scoring option on his team on .510% field goal shooting.

HeaTxRipZz
01-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Landry Fields went from a guy who knick fans didn't want on draft day to a guy loved by the city.

I'm glad he's been working hard and I'm glad I didn't look stupid defending the kid months ago in the Knick forum on draft night. Looked at his college stats and I knew he would be a special role player/glue guy. He had nice Rebound numbers in college too playing the same position.

One has to wonder though where he would rank if Wall was healthy all this time. If I had to bet I'd say 3rd place by the end of the year with Cousins and others right behind him. Reason I say 3rd is because of all the things he can do. The kid can perform put back dunks, catch alley-oops, Slash, shoot the 3 ball, Rebounds like crazy for a guard and plays solid defense. He doesn't score at a star level's rate and I think that'll be the difference hes perfectly fit as a glue guy and it'll always work well for him. It's Role players that help star players and their teams get far.

As far as Griffin he definitely deserves it. That dude is OUT OF HIS MIND. The dunks he does in game are insane I've definitely become a fan because he reminds me of one of my top 5 fav players Shawn Kemp

xabial
01-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Out of this Draft class, John Wall is the only sure fire star. So far, DeMarcus Cousins has started to show he CAN BE an All Star calibur player. Wesley Johnson and Derrick Favors seem like they will both be bery good starters but nothing else in their career. Evan Turner has been a bust but he will turn it around and be on Johnson and Favors level. Udoh, Monroe, Aminu and Davis all look like they can be nice starters as well but nothing special. Gordan Hayward was an awful pick and is nothing more than a bench player if that. Everyone else is nothing more than a role player, some better than others, unless some blossom into more than that. Overall, very weak draft class.

I understand what your saying, but you cant judge a draft class based on one year. Remember the 2009 draft? "one of the weakest drafts in recent memory, maybe with the potential to be as weak as the 2000 draft"... Draftees from the 2009 Draft... BLAKE GRIFFIN, STEPH CURRY, TYREKE EVANS, Brandon Jennings, daren collison, omri cassapi, james harden/Ty lawson are showing flashes

Swashcuff
01-04-2011, 08:23 AM

If that is what you think of the player you really need to invest some time in watching him play. His value goes way beyond the stat sheet.

LakersIn5
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
This year's Rookie draft class is nothing but a big Poo Poo.

Wall has been missing games or Fields wouldn't even be close.

Enjoy it while it lasts. If Taj Gibson was a rookie this year instead of last year, it would be interesting to see who would win it between him and fields???

:D

uhm so what? is it fields' fault that wall is missing games? and as if wall and fields are the only rookies in the east. landry fields is outplaying 1st rounders and lottery picks. so the award is not just a give away or a pity award. if its just that then why dont they give the award to turner,favors,monroe,george,ed davis, sanders or other eastern rookies instead? :eyebrow:

Enjoy it while it lasts. If Michael Jordan was a rookie this year instead of last year, it would be interesting to see who would win it between him and griffin??? <--- thats what your analogy looks like dude.

Hindy27
01-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Out of this Draft class, John Wall is the only sure fire star. So far, DeMarcus Cousins has started to show he CAN BE an All Star calibur player. Wesley Johnson and Derrick Favors seem like they will both be bery good starters but nothing else in their career.

It's funny to see so many people talking Favors down.
I don't know how he'll turn out but at the moment it is foolish to say he is going one way or the other with such certainty.

His first 30 odd games have been very similar to Garnett and Howard as 19 year old rookies, actually he is lot better statistically than Garnett at the same stage. Amare was better than the lot at the same age but with hindsight if I had to choose between Amare, Garnett and Howard, Amare would be the last one I'd pick.

Here's the link to the comparisons (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/12/31/favors-nba-start-in-line-with-past-phenoms/)

So I gather these people that have bagged Favors were saying Garnett and Howard were going to be busts or average players after watching their first 30 games too.

ashyzup
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Nice article on Derrick Favors.

Hawkeye15
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
It's funny to see so many people talking Favors down.
I don't know how he'll turn out but at the moment it is foolish to say he is going one way or the other with such certainty.

His first 30 odd games have been very similar to Garnett and Howard as 19 year old rookies, actually he is lot better statistically than Garnett at the same stage. Amare was better than the lot at the same age but with hindsight if I had to choose between Amare, Garnett and Howard, Amare would be the last one I'd pick.

Here's the link to the comparisons (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/12/31/favors-nba-start-in-line-with-past-phenoms/)

So I gather these people that have bagged Favors were saying Garnett and Howard were going to be busts or average players after watching their first 30 games too.

I posted that pages ago. It does paint a picture, but Favors will have to continue to grow at a rapid pace

Chacarron
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Griffin is too damn good. Fields is alright.

boozdawg
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
:worthy: King Fields :worthy: