PDA

View Full Version : Caron Butler injury "potentially serious"

asandhu23
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Dallas forward Caron Butler left the Mavericks' game against Milwaukee in the first quarter Saturday night after injuring his right knee.

The extent of Caron's injury wasn't known after Dallas' 99-87 loss, but the Mavericks were preparing to play an extended time without the 6-foot-7 forward who entered the night averaging 15.4 points.

A league source told NBA.com's Art Garcia that it could be a torn patella tendon, which could sideline Butler for an extended period if it requires surgery.

"We're afraid that it's potentially serious," Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. "We'll find out (Sunday) where things are at, probably later in the day."

Butler was to stay in Milwaukee overnight and return to Dallas on Sunday to be further examined. The Mavs already have rookie Dominique Jones -- who has been playing with the NBA D-League's Texas Legends -- flying in to fill Butler's roster spot for Sunday's game in Cleveland.

After Dallas' Jason Kidd hit a shot, Butler went down to the floor grasping his knee. He rolled over onto his stomach as play continued before Dallas was able to call a timeout.

The training staffs from both teams assisted Butler, who slapped the floor in frustration. Two minutes later, Butler -- from nearby Racine -- was helped to his feet and limped to the locker room under his own power.

In April 2007 at the Bradley Center,Butler broke his right hand while with the Wizards when he was challenging a shot at the backboard. He missed the rest of the season.

The Mavericks played without Dirk Nowitzki (sprained right knee) and Shawn Marion (thigh).

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/01/02/butler.knee/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Hawkeye15
01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
saw this earlier. Very unfortunate for Dallas if he misses extended time. They have plenty of depth to get by, but it still hurts them a bit.

dhopisthename
01-02-2011, 12:31 PM
ouch thats a major blow

ManRam
01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think a torn Patella would be season ending, but either way, that's not news Dallas wants to hear.

Dade County
01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
damn Butler...........

Some of us in Dade still support/respect you (miami Heat drafted), I am very happy that you are on a very good team and I wish you a fast recovery............ Get better soon Pimp'in.

thekmp211
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
butler was going to be an attractive trading chip for the mavs. thats probably going to kill them more than losing him on the court.

kingkenny01
01-02-2011, 01:25 PM
sad he got injured in his own city

tdunk21
01-02-2011, 01:39 PM
huge blow to the mavs.....mavs will be very active come trade deadline imo.....

redsox0717
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
That's a shame, I hope he has a quick and full recovery. Loved watching him at UCONN and still love watching him play during Mav games.

hgtiger32
01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
thats too bad, mavs are getting the injury bug....

kjoke
01-02-2011, 01:58 PM
sucs for the mavs and butler, wish him the best

ThomasTomasz
01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Ever since coming to Washington, Caron Butler has had the injury bug. Yeah, with something that could be season ending, it shouldn't count, but it always hurt the Wizards to count on Butler so much, and for him to be missing time and trying to play hurt. It also seemed that, at the worst time, both Butler and either Jamison or Arenas would be playing hurt.

Butler is a top talent, and one has to think that he could be so much better than he is now if he could stay healthy.

Kakaroach
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Man the whole Mavs team is just breaking down. In this case though it decreases his trade value even though he has been pretty good on the court too.

drobe86
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Tough break for the Mavs... Good news is we get to see what Dojo can do. Serious or not rest him and maybe he can make it back for playoffs. I think the Mavs will somehow get Martin from Houston. These last few games have shown me that we need another scorer....

zambo4president
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I made a trade for him in fantasy and he's really been helping my team out, this is a huge blow for the Mavs if he misses more than 2 weeks.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
01-02-2011, 02:14 PM
was at the game n he walked off the court n got almost to the tunnel n fell down he needed help getting to the locker room like he got carried the rest of the way

tredigs
01-02-2011, 02:18 PM
They really don't have many highly capable scorers on that team outside of Dirk and Butler (Terry is, but he's clearly been declining a bit that past couple years... and just been a weak option for them lately).

So who takes over the offensive production if he's out for the season (or close to it)? J.J. was the guy last night, but that makes for a pretty small lineup with him, Kidd and Terry all logging big minutes.

What do you guys think.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 02:24 PM
If I know Mark Cuban as well as I think I do, he's going to make a trade if Caron's injury is serious and it takes him out for the rest of the year.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 02:45 PM
If it's season ending, then the Mavs are in a lot of trouble.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5981356

*Silver&Black*
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Mavs, trade for Joe Johnson.

tdunk21
01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
can an injured player be traded????if yes, then why was tyson chandler trade to thunder rescinded last year?

tredigs
01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5981356

DALLAS -- Caron Butler could miss the rest of the season because of a knee injury, a tough blow for the already-ailing Dallas Mavericks.

A person with direct knowledge of the initial diagnosis told ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon that the symptoms indicated Butler suffered at least a partial tear of the patellar tendon in his right knee.

If it is a partial tear, Butler could be out two months. However, if it's a full tear, he would miss the rest of the season. The Mavericks won't be certain about the extent of the injury until they get the results of an MRI that will be taken after Butler returns to Dallas on Sunday.

Terrible blow to the Mavs. I'm still curious where the production will come from.

Edit: Barea was good last night, but he has been TERRIBLE this season. Trade may be in order.

AlexTmz2
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Eventhough I hate the Mavs with a passion, this is horrible news for Mavs fans. Hope it's just a couple of months and not the whole season.

justinnum1
01-02-2011, 03:06 PM
haywood for crawford

*Silver&Black*
01-02-2011, 03:06 PM
haywood for crawford

That, but Joe Johnson would be better to leave ATL.:D

thekmp211
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Terrible blow to the Mavs. I'm still curious where the production will come from.

Edit: Barea was good last night, but he has been TERRIBLE this season. Trade may be in order.

definitely need to go for a trade. stevenson/terry/barea wont cut it.

now, i dont think butler was ever going to be the guy that put them over the top, but he still takes a lot of pressure off dirk.

maybe they go after a guy like JR Smith? one of the guards on detroit?

Gibby
01-02-2011, 03:33 PM
there are options out there like Rip, Iguodala but do the mavs have enough to get it done.

DoJoTheSlasher
01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
He was playing All Star basketball for the past 2-3 weeks so yes this is a big blow due to the fact that Terry is now our 2nd scorer (which isn't good since he doesn't do jack until the 4th. Shawn Marion is gonna score more and look for Roddy Beaubois to possibly be putting up between 17-20 ppg when he gets back.

210Don
01-02-2011, 04:07 PM
He was playing All Star basketball for the past 2-3 weeks so yes this is a big blow due to the fact that Terry is now our 2nd scorer (which isn't good since he doesn't do jack until the 4th. Shawn Marion is gonna score more and look for Roddy Beaubois to possibly be putting up between 17-20 ppg when he gets back.

lol wow your dreaming.

tredigs
01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
lol wow your dreaming.

If he gets the minutes (he'd need 30+), he could easily put up 17-20 a game. He's a great scorer. That said, still leaves them with the same issue of being too small with Kidd/Terry/JJ.

And then there's the fact that there's still no timetable for his return...

SteBO
01-02-2011, 04:17 PM
lol wow your dreaming.
I know :laugh2: this must be the fifth time this week I've heard that Rodrigue Beaubois will save the day coming off a serious injury

SteBO
01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
If he gets the minutes (he'd need 30+), he could easily put up 17-20 a game. He's a great scorer. That said, still leaves them with the same issue of being too small with Kidd/Terry/JJ.

And then there's the fact that there's still no timetable for his return...
He won't do that coming off a serious injury, it doesn't happen that way

HuRRiCaNeS324
01-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I think the Mavs are gonna end up trading Beaubois for someone like Stephen Jackon or something.

boozdawg
01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
dirk chokitzki and the mavs will choke come playoff time anyway. really doesnt matter.

ChiSox219
01-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Roddy B could bring 20 ppg to the table if he gets starter's minutes.

Also, Caron is average, it hurts the Mavs depth but it's not like he's the guy that leads them to the promise land.

tredigs
01-02-2011, 04:26 PM
He won't do that coming off a serious injury, it doesn't happen that way

It wouldn't be immediate, but this wasn't a "serious" injury in the sense that it will limit his capabilities like a torn ligament or a back issue would. The guy broke his foot, he just can't run on it. The turnaround for an injury like that (once you're able to actually put the necessary pressure on it) is pretty quick.

But again, there's no indication that he's anywhere near ready to play. The Mavs are in trouble as far as their potential title hopes are concerned, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Cuban is probably going to have to pull off something special given all these setbacks.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
It wouldn't be immediate, but this wasn't a "serious" injury in the sense that it will limit his capabilities like a torn ligament or a back issue would. The guy broke his foot, he just can't run on it. The turnaround for an injury like that (once you're able to actually put the necessary pressure on it) is pretty quick.

But again, there's no indication that he's anywhere near ready to play. The Mavs are in trouble as far as their potential title hopes are concerned, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Cuban is probably going to have to pull off something special given all these setbacks.
Aight. I guess you have a point. But they have way too many guards, and their too small in the backcourt. Roddy isn't enough, they need to make a trade.

Kakaroach
01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
He is an expiring contract so he could still be useful in a salary dump like Rip Hamilton. They could also look into Iggy but they might have to give up more than they want.

tredigs
01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Aight. I guess you have a point. But they have way too many guards, and their too small in the backcourt. Roddy isn't enough, they need to make a trade.

Agreed. Filling in for Butler's production isn't the problem, it's doing so while maintaining their size. That's why I think they'd have to deal also.

thekmp211
01-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Agreed. Filling in for Butler's production isn't the problem, it's doing so while maintaining their size. That's why I think they'd have to deal also.

ah, not sure why i didn't think of this, but stephen jackson would be just what the doctor ordered for dallas. as long as he had the right attitude.

Chacarron
01-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Injury bug hitting the Mavs. Not good for their championship run.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
it looked serious too

hotpotato1092
01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Can they still trade his expiring contract?

thedfactor
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Can they still trade his expiring contract?Yes just like Houston is still able to deal Yao. Now Yao's expiring is much more attractive, but the situation is similar. Stephen Jackson makes a good amount of sense.

MacFitz92
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Mavs out Roddy, Butler, Dirk, and Marion.

210Don
01-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes just like Houston is still able to deal Yao. Now Yao's expiring is much more attractive, but the situation is similar. Stephen Jackson makes a good amount of sense.

stephen jackson would make you 100 times better and a serious contender.id be so afraid of you guys. i doubt charlotte would do it though they might not even be traded

DoJoTheSlasher
01-02-2011, 09:21 PM
lol wow your dreaming.

No Butler and besides him we have no scoring option. Yes, Beaubois could easily average that with starters minutes. Stop hating just because he is a Dallas Maverick. We all know that you are the ultimate Maverick hater.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
No Butler and besides him we have no scoring option. Yes, Beaubois could easily average that with starters minutes. Stop hating just because he is a Dallas Maverick. We all know that you are the ultimate Maverick hater.
Don't you guys think you'll still need a trade. You guys are still way too small in the backcourt.

dturpin598
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Don't you guys think you'll still need a trade. You guys are still way too small in the backcourt.

I definitely think the Mavs need a trade. While they are much better defensively, Dirk is the only offensive option.

Terry is overrated, Butlers done, Beaubois hurt and too young.

blacknell
01-02-2011, 10:03 PM
dallas needs to make a move for either a scoring sg or sf NOW

SteBO
01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
dallas needs to make a move for either a scoring sg or sf NOW
Melo anyone?

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I hope Caron is alright. I really like that dude. Super humble and has a feel good story. Plus Halle Berry was in love with him when he was with the Lakers.

dturpin598
01-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Melo anyone?

I could see that happening. Especially since Denver wants to throw Harrington in as well. The Mavs tried to sign Al this summer but got outbid by Denver.

I personally as a Mavs fan wouldn't trade for Melo, because I think he is destined for the Knicks next year. I hope Cuban wont pull the trigger on a Melo deal unless he signs the extension. I think Iguodala's name will start popping up with the Mavs again here soon.

HuRRiCaNeS324
01-02-2011, 10:34 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2a86lyv

What do you think about this trade?