PDA

View Full Version : Forget stat padding, you wanna have class...

NetsPaint
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
then players should stop lying. If a player knocks the ball out of bounds, and knows it, why not admit it if the ref got it wrong? I'm not saying if a player didn't foul you, but got called for it then tell the ref, because they try to even it out, but you get my point.

I know people are gonna say that's stupid, but this isn't professional wrestling, I'd love for players to stop lying and EARN possessions. One possession could decide a game.

tjs4stlcards
01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
That is the thing about being an athlete, your desire to win is so great that you do anything to win. I'm sure the only thing they are thinking about is winning the game and they will take that win however they can get it. Refs are part of the game and they make mistakes, it happens, it is sports.

210Don
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
forget that they aint judges or lawers.

HoopsDrive
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Why not go the extra mile then?

Player A from winning team: "Hey, we played worse than you guys today but we were lucky on that game-winner. You know what, you guys can have the W, we'll 'earn' our W next time."

:facepalm:

NetsPaint
01-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Why not go the extra mile then?

Player A from winning team: "Hey, we played worse than you guys today but we were lucky on that game-winner. You know what, you guys can have the W, we'll 'earn' our W next time."

:facepalm:
Explain how that's the same thing. One is actually winning, the other is a lie.

HoopsDrive
01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Explain how that's the same thing. One is actually winning, the other is a lie.

Because both are equivalently stupid. No one will do it barring incredibly rare individuals with dubiously high senses of honor and sportsmanship.

THINKBLUE15
01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm guessing you got this thread idea from that terrible commercial from the Foundation for a Better Life.....

NYKnicks4511
01-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Psh, winning > all in sports. You do what you gotta do to win. Derek Jeter of all people faked that HBP, because it gave his team a better shot to win.

bklynny67
01-01-2011, 11:00 PM
then players should stop lying. If a player knocks the ball out of bounds, and knows it, why not admit it if the ref got it wrong? I'm not saying if a player didn't foul you, but got called for it then tell the ref, because they try to even it out, but you get my point.

I know people are gonna say that's stupid, but this isn't professional wrestling, I'd love for players to stop lying and EARN possessions. One possession could decide a game.

you're funny

so in baseball if a batter gets caught looking at a pitch that is clearly a strike but the ump calls it a ball, the batter should say, "ya know what, you missed that one. it was definitely a strike and i should be out". and he walks back to the dugout.

or when an outfielder makes a diving catch and they call it an out when the fielder knows it bounced, he should admit he trapped it and the batter should be safe.

lol what a joke of a thread.

SA5195
01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
So let's say there's 5 seconds left. Both teams are tied. Your team inbounds it, but you couldn't catch it, and it went off you, but the ref says that the ball went off the opposing player.

What would you do? Tell the ref that it went off you? Cause that would blow off your teams chance of winning the game.

Cano4prez
01-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm guessing you got this thread idea from that terrible commercial from the Foundation for a Better Life.....

Lol thats the first thing i thought about when I saw this thread.

TO Rapz
01-01-2011, 11:30 PM
In before close. This might be the most ******** thread I ve ever seen in my life.

RadiantShot
01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
They are playing in the NBA. Not performing in a teen pageant show.

hotpotato1092
01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
It's not even about a player's individual desire to win, unless you're a super star, what team would sign a player that would willingly hurt his team just to be honest? I totally agree that it would make the league better, but players would never do it because it would seriously hurt their job prospects.

NJrockPD
01-01-2011, 11:48 PM

The media, fans, and owners have a very short term memory in sports. Imagine you give up a few games over the course of the season based on sportsmanship and then you miss out on the playoffs by a few games. Making and missing the playoffs makes a huge difference in an organization, that can be the difference between ownership going in a new direction and cleaning house or an higher seed suprising people and winning a championship. Sportsmanship is nice, but winning comes first.

NetsPaint
01-02-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm sticking by what I said. Next time you're about to post some about a classless act, think about yourself. If some of you read my post I'm not asking the players to turn into refs, but if you feel satisfied with BS plays for the benefit of your team then good for you. Stop complaining to the refs then. Stop making threads about that. Close this thread, it's ********? I dare anyone to say I'm WRONG.

THINKBLUE15
01-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Lol thats the first thing i thought about when I saw this thread.

lol haha

"I touched the ball last coach!!!" lmao what a ****ing joke.

NetsPaint
01-02-2011, 02:01 AM
lol haha

"I touched the ball last coach!!!" lmao what a ****ing joke.
Why is it joke? That generic thinking is a joke. Some players complain even when they know it's the right call. Now that's pathetic.

Seriously, some posters in here gave respectful responses even disagreeing with me. You people should like the new technical rulings then. After all, it could potentially help your team, right? When it doesn't...you'll make a thread about it.

NetsPaint
01-02-2011, 02:04 AM
btw, I made this thread because a lot of people are complaining about about what Westbrook and Ibaka did.

You people are taking it too far. I'm not even talking about fouls, that might make things even less evened out. Grow up.

THINKBLUE15
01-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Why is it joke? That generic thinking is a joke. Some players complain even when they know it's the right call. Now that's pathetic.

Seriously, some posters in here gave respectful responses even disagreeing with me. You people should like the new technical rulings then. After all, it could potentially help your team, right? When it doesn't...you'll make a thread about it.

I agree, it is pathetic to argue calls constantly when the refs are right.

As for the rest...give me a break. That isn't the way sports work. "You know what ump, that pitch was a strike, I'm out..."

That commercial and this thread is a joke. The refs wouldn't even reverse calls if you told them "the truth".

Just because people don't fess up to the officials doesn't make them wrong. It is the way sports work. You don't fess up. It isn't even worth arguing. Yet here I am.

NetsPaint
01-02-2011, 02:31 AM
If it's an instant call that can't be changed, then whatever, but why make the refs go over to the monitors and stop play when you just be a man about it and continue the game?

They're humans, so I know why they wouldn't bring themselves doing something when the game is on the line with a few seconds left, but are you saying a player can't at least raise their hand in the "calm" part of the game?

Don't look into what I'm saying too far. I think a lot of things in the NBA is a joke, the way offense gets favored for with fouls. Calling my thread a joke is unreasonable when professional sports have so many things that are not classy, yet people complain about somebody padding their stats.

I'm not Mr. Nice guy in the way you think I might be. I don't like people picking up other players of the opposing team if they knocked them down to prevent a basket or something, unless it was too much.

Don't think about this thread too much about admitting something about who it went out on as much as thinking about what you complain about other things in sportsmanship.

TO Rapz
01-02-2011, 02:39 AM
If it's an instant call that can't be changed, then whatever, but why make the refs go over to the monitors and stop play when you just be a man about it and continue the game?

They're humans, so I know why they wouldn't bring themselves doing something when the game is on the line with a few seconds left, but are you saying a player can't at least raise their hand in the "calm" part of the game?

Don't look into what I'm saying too far. I think a lot of things in the NBA is a joke, the way offense gets favored for with fouls. Calling my thread a joke is unreasonable when professional sports have so many things that are not classy, yet people complain about somebody padding their stats.

I'm not Mr. Nice guy in the way you think I might be. I don't like people picking up other players of the opposing team if they knocked them down to prevent a basket or something, unless it was too much.

Don't think about this thread too much about admitting something about who it went out on as much as thinking about what you complain about other things in sportsmanship.

K. Heres all im saying. Your telling us all about how "imagine if this happened to your team". Okay lets play the hypothetical game.

Imagine YOU were on a team in the NBA. Say you were on the Bulls and your playing the Mavericks. If the Bulls are down by 1, and you have possesion with 5 seconds left. You have the ball in your hands, you drive, you pump fake, the other guy jumps, and you make contact with him. You get your 2 foul shots. Now, the other guy went straight up, which means he didnt foul you, you leaned into him. Are you gona go to the referee and tell him, "Dear Sir, it wasnt a foul. You ve got it all wrong. I leaned into him, he had his hands straight up. Reverse the call so we lose.".

No you will not.

Now I see where your coming from, saying that if this happens vs your own team you ll see how much it sucks. But thats just how sports works, sometimes things go with you, sometimes things go against you. When you get a good call, you dont complain about it, you take it and move on.

NetsPaint
01-02-2011, 02:53 AM
K. Heres all im saying. Your telling us all about how "imagine if this happened to your team". Okay lets play the hypothetical game.

Imagine YOU were on a team in the NBA. Say you were on the Bulls and your playing the Mavericks. If the Bulls are down by 1, and you have possesion with 5 seconds left. You have the ball in your hands, you drive, you pump fake, the other guy jumps, and you make contact with him. You get your 2 foul shots. Now, the other guy went straight up, which means he didnt foul you, you leaned into him. Are you gona go to the referee and tell him, "Dear Sir, it wasnt a foul. You ve got it all wrong. I leaned into him, he had his hands straight up. Reverse the call so we lose.".

No you will not.

Now I see where your coming from, saying that if this happens vs your own team you ll see how much it sucks. But thats just how sports works, sometimes things go with you, sometimes things go against you. When you get a good call, you dont complain about it, you take it and move on.
I said the fouls even out. So many fouls are ridiculous I don't blame them for not admitting it wasn't a foul. That's an entirely different story. As a fan of a team, I wouldn't like my team winning that way in the last few seconds, but I'll take it since most of the games there's other bad calls on my team in other parts of the game.

TO Rapz
01-02-2011, 02:59 AM
I said the fouls even out. So many fouls are ridiculous I don't blame them for not admitting it wasn't a foul. That's an entirely different story. As a fan of a team, I wouldn't like my team winning that way in the last few seconds, but I'll take it since most of the games there's other bad calls on my team in other parts of the game.

I think the bottomline is you have a point you came out with it the wrong way. The NBA today is a diva show. We have the big girls Lebron, Kobe, Dwight that get their calls. Then we have the guys who have to earrn everything and things dont go their ways. Refs miss calls, refs make calls. They do their best. I dont really think theres any other way to put it dude.

thesparky33
01-02-2011, 03:46 AM
At my college (small, small school), the girl's volleyball team got a ton of publicity (good and bad) because the entire team performed what they called "honor calls" throughout the season. What they did was when the ball would hit off of them, but the judge would miss it, they would raise their hand and tell the judge (or whatever you call them) that they hit the ball last, etc.

I guess at first, the rest of the teams in the league were kind of pissed about it, and even the refs were confused, but as the season progressed, I guess most of the league started to adopt that way of play.

Having said that, it was a small Christian college, and girls volleyball at that. In no way would that work in professional sports, mainly because people's jobs are on the line, and even if one player did that, his entire team would alienate and despise him most likely.