PDA

View Full Version : Are the Nuggets asking too much here?

BSF101
01-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I was on yahoo, a minute ago and saw this.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AltYAG9Y.QsY_OIphESjJlS8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonynuggets123010
:facepalm:

bal_ravens
01-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah I saw that a few days ago. Crazy. They will settle for an expiring and maybe 2 first round picks and a prospect.

Baller1
01-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Stupid.

adidas2307
01-01-2011, 09:16 PM
:laugh2: Melo is barely worth two first round draft picks.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
5 picks is ridicilous:laugh2:

netsgiantsyanks
01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
5 picks is outrageously too much. plus favors and a expiring? yeah ****ing right.

TylerSL
01-01-2011, 09:23 PM
lol

GSRaider
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Bwahaha!

iCOOKiE MONSTER
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Holy Cooookie,
5 1st rounders??? Wtf
NJ gets rip off bad

Stuckey#3
01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes way too much. Melo is no Kevin Garnett (who the Celtics gave up half of their team and two picks for). He is a scorer who can rebound. Melo is worth two picks an expiring and an Anthony Randolph caliber player. I would put Al Jefferson in the same category as Melo... and he was only worth two picks.

NYKnicks4511
01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
At this point if a Carmelo to NJN deal hasn't been completed I highly doubt that New Jersey is his destination, but again anything can happen.

What I could see is 2-3 first rounders (mid to late) + good young player, expiring contract.

or

2 first rounders (likely lottery - late teens) + good young player.

The Nugs brass needs to face the music here, they are in no position to be calling the shots... If a team like Dallas decides to jump in and take the risk of not being able to re-sign Carmelo this could all change. But then again who do they have to give up with the exception of Beaubois who is coming off an injury? A 30 year old Caron Butler? An unproven Dominique Jones?

I'd like to see Melo in New York so I'm biased, but unless a championship contender pulls a "Phillies" and steals Melo at the deadline, the Nuggets GM's hands are tied.

2 first rounders + Wilson Chandler + Eddy Curry 11 Mil Expiring seems more likely by the day :D

Stuckey#3
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
2 first rounders + Wilson Chandler + Eddy Curry 11 Mil Expiring seems more likely by the day :D

I agree this is the most any team should give up for Melo.

bal_ravens
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
^ And he doesnt resign, instead going to the Suns to run with Steve Nash :o

Muttman73
01-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Denver has screwed up ownership in all sports

DwayneMVPwade
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Carmelo for favors, 1stround pick and a expiring pick would be good.

DenButsu
01-01-2011, 10:07 PM
:laugh2: Melo is barely worth two first round draft picks.

This statement is even more ludicrous than the idea of the Nuggets asking for 5 picks.

Anyhow, for one thing I question the veracity of this rumor (as the veracity of all these rumors should be questioned). But even if it were true, it's the nature of negotiating that you start with a high asking price, and by no means would this imply that the initial asking price would be the final compromise.

But the larger point that I'd make here is that you'd better believe New Jersey will give up a hell of a lot for Melo. Look at the state of the franchise right now. Last season was supposed to be a "fluke" (as several different Nets fan posters insisted to me before this season actually started), and things were supposed to be on the up and up by now. Plus, in the Melo sweepstakes, New Jersey has to worry about competition from New York, probably Houston, and now there may even be a few teams willing to take on Melo as a rental.

The Nets are clearly the more desperate party in these trade talks. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll give away the whole farm (ie. 5 picks + Favors), but if word came through that Melo would indeed be willing to extend w/ New Jersey, and they were in a position to make a strong offer that would clearly outbid the competition and lock him down through 2015, you can be damn sure that package would be pretty hefty. They would not pass up that opportunity.

SportsAndrew25
01-01-2011, 10:24 PM
All the more reason why the Knicks should wait for him to become a free agent. The cost for him is too high.

Chill_Will_24
01-01-2011, 10:24 PM
This is becoming a joke now! Anyone missing the Lebron sweepstakes yet???

NYKnicks4511
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
if word came through that Melo would indeed be willing to extend w/ New Jersey, and they were in a position to make a strong offer that would clearly outbid the competition and lock him down through 2015, you can be damn sure that package would be pretty hefty. They would not pass up that opportunity.

I agree with this. But that is one hell of an 'if'.

Both camps have been negotiating for months now. The Nuggets were ready to take the Nets' first offer built around Favors and picks (forgot exactly what it was), but Carmelo apparently wasn't interested in signing the extension.

If Melo hasn't made it clear that he'd sign the extension with NJ at this point, and it's clear he wants out of Denver, I doubt that he would change his mind now. I think he can wait until Free Agency rather than make an impulsive sprint out of Denver and agree to sign long term with a dysfunctional team like the Nets.

If there's a sleeper team who'd be willing to give up many picks (which is what Ujiri wants) and accept Carmelo as a rental then that's a different story. But there's always a chance that Carmelo could go somewhere else in Free Agency and the franchise that traded away it's picks for him would be ... like the Knicks were the past decade.

zambo4president
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous

DenButsu
01-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I agree with this. But that is one hell of an 'if'.

Both camps have been negotiating for months now. The Nuggets were ready to take the Nets' first offer built around Favors and picks (forgot exactly what it was), but Carmelo apparently wasn't interested in signing the extension.

If Melo hasn't made it clear that he'd sign the extension with NJ at this point, and it's clear he wants out of Denver, I doubt that he would change his mind now. I think he can wait until Free Agency rather than make an impulsive sprint out of Denver and agree to sign long term with a dysfunctional team like the Nets.

If there's a sleeper team who'd be willing to give up many picks (which is what Ujiri wants) and accept Carmelo as a rental then that's a different story. But there's always a chance that Carmelo could go somewhere else in Free Agency and the franchise that traded away it's picks for him would be ... like the Knicks were the past decade.

Re: the bolded passage -- Melo had absolutely nothing to do with that first four team trade getting sunk. There were internal FO disputes among (then) behind-the-scenes "consultant" (really, one of the GMs) Bret Bearup, who wanted to trade Melo asap, newly arrived exec Masai Ujiri, who wanted to keep Melo around as long as possible and try to convince him to extend (which is still happening, at least to an extent). So that was delaying Denver finalizing the trade, which put off Charlotte and Utah, who felt like they were getting the run around. Also, Denver didn't want to take on AK-47's contract, which would put their payroll much higher than they're hoping to be paying post-Melo. So the deal died before it even got to the stage where Melo would have been presented with the offer to sign on the dotted line and commit to (or reject) playing for the Nets.

NYsFinest
01-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see Melo signing an extension with the 9-25 Nets??? The team is a disaster, they just scored 9 points in the third against Minnesota.

IamKaiserSoze
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
too much. he isn't worth most of what these rumors suggest. i wanted him for the bulls. but we might be better off without him. the knicks, too. if i were the knicks, i wouldn't give him a thing. they can probably get him as a free agent this off season without giving up a thing. if he signs somewhere else...he will NOT be better off.

bklynny67
01-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see Melo signing an extension with the 9-25 Nets??? The team is a disaster, they just scored 9 points in the third against Minnesota.

finally someone else understands

NO WAY he signs an extension with the Nets. they are terrible, PLUS they would be giving up Favors, maybe Harris, AND picks. Melo wants to play with good young players and another star (Amar'e, Fields, Gallo and/or Chandler)

why would he wanna play for the Nets being their only great player, knowing they just gave up a possible future great player in Favors as well as knowing there will be no new 1st round picks coming anytime soon.

sorry to everyone else, but Melo to the Knicks is becoming more and more inevitable.

Jewelz0376
01-01-2011, 11:17 PM

NO WAY he signs an extension with the Nets. they are terrible, PLUS they would be giving up Favors, maybe Harris, AND picks. Melo wants to play with good young players and another star (Amar'e, Fields, Gallo and/or Chandler)

why would he wanna play for the Nets being their only great player, knowing they just gave up a possible future great player in Favors as well as knowing there will be no new 1st round picks coming anytime soon.

sorry to everyone else, but Melo to the Knicks is becoming more and more inevitable.

x2

michael811
01-01-2011, 11:17 PM
5 picks isn't that much for melo if thats going to be it. Nets should be pretty good with melo. First round picks aren't worth that much from good teams. The Lakers sell or trade away their's to save money every year. Maybe the Nets trade a player to pick up a couple of picks and give up a few of their own. You can't trade first rounders in consecutive years anyway so its not like it would be five in a row. They just picked up a Lakers pick for the sasha trade and they have theirs this year maybe move a player or two pick up a couple more and one more two years from now. Thats doable for Melo

avrpatsfan
01-01-2011, 11:19 PM
That's way too much for sure. The Nuggets will get great value for Melo, but not this much.

Even though these situations happened in 2 different sports I see them as pretty identical. I'm talking about Adrian Gonzalez. Just like the Nuggets, the Padres were almost 100% sure Agon wouldn't sign with them at all. So just like the Nuggets the Padres lost a lot of leverage in the trade talks. The Nets and the Red Sox both knew or know that the team they are dealing with have very little leverage. In this situation the Nuggets are being unreasonable. With the Padres they did settle for less but they still got great value counting the fact they would only get 2 draft picks in return. The Nuggets should do what the Padres did. They should get good value, but not ask for too much or the other teams will balk.

Either the Nuggets trade Melo or they let him walk for nothing. The Nuggets need to get smart.

Beltrans Mole
01-01-2011, 11:20 PM
The Knicks just need to wait til hes a FA. Chandler, Gallo, Fields, and Douglas are all really playing well and they need to keep this youth movement together with Amare and Felton.

rhino17
01-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Not at all. There are maybe 10 players in this league that a franchise can legitimately be built around and Melo is one of them. No **** they are asking for a lot. A player like him is not easy to find. If they get the 5 picks they are asking for, it is still likely that they will not get fair compensation

That's way too much for sure. The Nuggets will get great value for Melo, but not this much.

Even though these situations happened in 2 different sports I see them as pretty identical. I'm talking about Adrian Gonzalez. Just like the Nuggets, the Padres were almost 100% sure Agon wouldn't sign with them at all. So just like the Nuggets the Padres lost a lot of leverage in the trade talks. The Nets and the Red Sox both knew or know that the team they are dealing with have very little leverage. In this situation the Nuggets are being unreasonable. With the Padres they did settle for less but they still got great value counting the fact they would only get 2 draft picks in return. The Nuggets should do what the Padres did. They should get good value, but not ask for too much or the other teams will balk.

Either the Nuggets trade Melo or they let him walk for nothing. The Nuggets need to get smart.
totally different scenarios. One player in basketball is a helluva lot more valuable than a single player in baseball.

Jets012
01-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah the Nuggets are never going to get 5 picks for Melo. I do think a team will overspend for him though and that most likely will be the Nets in my opinon. I could see the Nets trading: Favors, Damion James, Murphy, and Two First Rounders for Melo. The Nuggets know they will never get 5 picks for Melo, but they do know the Nets will do about anything to make sure he ends up as a Net and does not go to the Knicks. The Nets are heading to Brooklyn and the last thing they want for the organization is the Knicks forming a big 3 of their own.

Kashmir13579
01-01-2011, 11:52 PM
and who knows if he will even sign the extension.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 12:17 AM
The Nuggets need to understand that they will never get even close to equal value for a franchise caliber player. They're about to learn that the hard way, cuz they should have gone through with the 3-way trade before training camp started, but they were too naive thinking that they could get Melo to change his mind just by being aroung pro-Denver guys in George Karl and Chauncey Billups. Even before that, they were shopping him around to teams like Philadelphia and Charlotte, while New Jersey was waiting for an answer. Now, they're frustrated because Denver's asking for 5 damn picks including a player, and before, they asked for Brook Lopez. It's easy to rip Melo for this since he obviously only wants New York, and puts the Nuggets in a very difficult spot. But Denver could've avoided this going through with the New Jersey deal later in the offseason, and now they might have to end up settling for a horrible one. So yes, the Nuggets are asking for way too much and it's the reason why they probably shouldn't have let go Warkentein and Chapman because those guys brought Chauncey Billups there, and I think they would've known how to handle this situation. Masai Ujiri and Josh Kroenke are inexperienced and it's definitely showing right now.

topdog
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I think Favors, a contract and a pick is a good deal for them, especially with no sign of Melo getting Rockie Mountain High in the next couple months.

effen5
01-02-2011, 12:39 AM
lmfao

5 picks

:laugh:

Guarantee you some team will get him for an avg player + expiring + 2 first round picks (such as the NYK trade proposal) or cheaper by trade deadline otherwise Denver will end up nothing at the end of the season....

Be realistic Denver

lkingratedr
01-02-2011, 12:41 AM
i am a nuggets fan and even i must say they are asking way 2 much ... 5 first round picks that right there is ludicrous basically with that asking price they are going to let melo walk away for nothing or hope he resigns which i dont see happening right now

THE GIPPER
01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
The nuggets obviously dont expect to ACTUALLY get 5 1st's in a deal for melo. its really not possible and just doesnt happen..it has to be some kind of negotiating tactic, or just a way of stalling so that they dont feel pressured by nj or ny to make a deal before the trade deadline.

Hindy27
01-02-2011, 12:49 AM

I love the way Knicks fans keep pushing the same old nonsense to suit their own agenda. Denver haven't agreed to a deal at all, not once.

It has been widely reported that when the Nuggets finally agree to a deal the Nets would be able to bring in Proky, King and Jay Z etc. to negotiate with Melo, to see if he would agree to the extension. If they can't convince him then the deal would be off.
The Nets haven't had a meeting with Melo yet, so any story claiming the Nuggets agreed to a deal is complete fantasy.

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 01:11 AM
The Nuggets need to understand that they will never get even close to equal value for a franchise caliber player

Or, you need to understand how negotiating works.

Kashmir13579
01-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Every time there is a new article people seem to forget Melo has not agreed to sign the extension in NJ or anywhere else for that matter. all of this trade package discussion could be a moot point.

Kashmir13579
01-02-2011, 01:17 AM

dude, lovin' the sigs. huge Grateful Dead fan here. :offtopic:

SteBO
01-02-2011, 01:18 AM
That too

NYKnicks4511
01-02-2011, 01:21 AM
I love the way Knicks fans keep pushing the same old nonsense to suit their own agenda. Denver haven't agreed to a deal at all, not once.

It has been widely reported that when the Nuggets finally agree to a deal the Nets would be able to bring in Proky, King and Jay Z etc. to negotiate with Melo, to see if he would agree to the extension. If they can't convince him then the deal would be off.
The Nets haven't had a meeting with Melo yet, so any story claiming the Nuggets agreed to a deal is complete fantasy.

Same old "nonsense"? Tell me they haven't been pushing this deal for months to no avail. Or better yet, tell me why Billy King of all people would help the Nets' miniscule chances of getting Melo to sign long term. The "Jay-Z and Prokhorov" plan worked wonders this past summer, Travis Outlaw and Jordan Farmar. :facepalm: Now that's some old nonsense.

As far as ''pushing our own agenda,'' just because I have 'Knicks' in my name doesn't mean I'm a homer fan who clouds his judgment with Bleacher Report rumors. Do I hope the Knicks get Melo? Sure, but I only posted what I had heard from the infamous "sources" from around the league. Unless you have inside information that says the Nuggets never agreed to the deal, then your ''reports'' are no better than mine.

calibird707
01-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Melo will be a knick simple and plain...he has no reason what so ever to sign an extention with the nets..they blow...deal with it....

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Melo will be a knick simple and plain...he has no reason what so ever to sign an extention with the nets..they blow...deal with it....

He has about thirty million reasons why it might make sense to sign with the Nets.

PrettyBoyJ
01-02-2011, 02:03 AM
you woulda thought he was Lebron or something

calibird707
01-02-2011, 02:16 AM
O
He has about thirty million reasons why it might make sense to sign with the Nets.

Or he could just wait still get paid and team up with STAT and felton...if he's comin east he's gonna be a knick...haters r gonna hate..the nets r horrible and if they get raped to get melo then it pretty much defeats the purpose...he knows he can just sign outright with the knicks this offseason...there I'd no way he resigns with the nets I don't care what anyone says..watching bron and wade and bosh probably gives him all the more motivation to team with amare....and yes I am a knicks fan....

BlazingJ
01-02-2011, 02:23 AM
So why don't the nuggets want troy murphy? why do they want him to go to another team, so they can get a trade exception?

JerseysFinest
01-02-2011, 02:25 AM
O

Or he could just wait still get paid and team up with STAT and felton...if he's comin east he's gonna be a knick...haters r gonna hate..the nets r horrible and if they get raped to get melo then it pretty much defeats the purpose...he knows he can just sign outright with the knicks this offseason...there I'd no way he resigns with the nets I don't care what anyone says..watching bron and wade and bosh probably gives him all the more motivation to team with amare....and yes I am a knicks fan....

you say haters are going to hate, and yet you are a nets hater i see. He's going to get traded by the deadline. Not sure where, but there is a good chance it's too New Jersey, maybe New York, maybe a rental team. Carmelo apparently wants him cash, not really concerned where he's getting it at. Nets can make him a global icon and a franchise savior, and help him reap more endorsements (Knicks can as well), instead of him becoming second fiddle to Amar'e. Oh, I forgot about the prospect of playing in a 900 million dollar arena next year that will be the nicest and most beautiful arena in the NBA, no contest. Forgot to mention it's in his hometown too. And I'm a Nets fan btw, but not a Knicks hater

JerseysFinest
01-02-2011, 02:28 AM
So why don't the nuggets want troy murphy? why do they want him to go to another team, so they can get a trade exception?

they don't want a lot of contracts on their payroll apparently, i mean who doesn't. Nets GM is trying to convince the Cavaliers to take on multi-year deals from Denver, so Denver can take Murphy and let him just expire in the offseason

uprightciti
01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
That has got to be a joke
Denver will get
1st rounder aquired by ant randolph
1st rounder 2014 kincks
Eddy curry
Wilson chandler
For melo

Come on now with the cba and the 90% chance of a lockout til dec of 2011
Denver needs to except the fact that they need to be way under the cap in 2012 andprep ty lawson to get them to the p?ayoffs
Denver would be lucky to get the 7th seed this year facing either la, dal, or sa int the1st round which they will not be able to win
With melo the knicks would face the magic,bulls or atl and they would win
And perhaps even have a shot at the finals pending the celtics take out the heat in round 2
This would bring nba ratings threw the roof on the east coast

NYsFinest
01-02-2011, 03:15 AM
you say haters are going to hate, and yet you are a nets hater i see. He's going to get traded by the deadline. Not sure where, but there is a good chance it's too New Jersey, maybe New York, maybe a rental team. Carmelo apparently wants him cash, not really concerned where he's getting it at. Nets can make him a global icon and a franchise savior, and help him reap more endorsements (Knicks can as well), instead of him becoming second fiddle to Amar'e. Oh, I forgot about the prospect of playing in a 900 million dollar arena next year that will be the nicest and most beautiful arena in the NBA, no contest. Forgot to mention it's in his hometown too. And I'm a Nets fan btw, but not a Knicks hater

You seem to forget the $800 million dollar renovation one of the worlds most famous arenas is getting. People don't realize BK is not Manhattan and its not even close. Just because it says NY on the address doesn't mean its the same. That like comparing los angeles and san francisco and saying its the same. MSG is located in arguably the greatest location in the world, the straight heart of NYC.

OaklandsFinest
01-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Honestly if I were New Jersey I would chill on Melo... I would maybe move Brook Lopez and Devin Harris. I would try and let Favors and James get a ton of PT, maybe get some pieces... Maybe flip Brook Lopez and the Troy Murphy expiring for Javale McGee, Kirk Hinrich, and Al Thornton. Then flip Devin Harris, Stephen Graham, and Johan Petro and a future first for Andre Igoudala and Jrue Holiday. Then make a push at Carmello this offseason..

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=248r9k9
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2deun9k

OaklandsFinest
01-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Holiday/Farmer/ Hinrich
Igoudala/Morrow/Vujacic
Thornton/ Outlaw/James
Favors/
McGee/

Then if they can sign Carmelo in the offseason look out, and if not they have a good young core, and with their lottery pick this year put together an exciting team headed into Brooklyn.

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 05:26 AM
O

In all likelihood, he stands to lose well over $30 million in total salary through 2015 if he opts out next summer and signs under whatever the new maximum contract conditions are settled on in the new CBA.

Two generalizations:

Knicks fans think Nuggets fans are too confident in Melo's desire to sign the extension and get that money, because they believe playing in New York is more important to him than the money.

Nuggets fans think Knicks fans are too confident in Melo's desire to play for the Knicks - and only the Knicks - because they think at the end of the day his economic self interest (a polite term for "greed") will ultimately win out and trump his (rumored) stubborn insistence on only NYK.

Melo said himself in the summer of 2009, regarding the first big extension he signed with Denver:

“I wasn’t going to leave no money on the table. We don’t do that where I come from.”

So make your predictions as you wish, based on what you want to believe, based on which rumors you think are true, based on whatever. But for my money, the smart money is on... the money.

sunsfan88
01-02-2011, 05:39 AM

Nets have good young players but they don't have a go to scorer or leader type guy. I'd assume that's where 'Melo comes in.

I doubt NJ gives up Harris and DEN wouldn't really want him considering they have Billups and Lawson.

Harris
Vujacic
'Melo
Humphries
Lopez

Obviously they wouldn't go to the playoffs this season but they'd be a solid team the next year. They'd be able to use the rest of this season to build chemistry.

arkanian215
01-02-2011, 06:11 AM

If there's no way he would sign an extension with the Nets, then why wouldn't he just do to the Nets what he just did to the Bobcats? Just tell the Nets through a rep that you're not interested. NJ has made it clear already that they won't make the trade unless Melo signs an extension.

For those who didn't catch it:

Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan was interested in making an offer to acquire Carmelo Anthony(notes) from the Denver Nuggets until, sources said, the All-Star forward informed Jordan through a representative that he had no interest in playing for the struggling Bobcats or signing a contract extension with them.

The Bobcats figured their chances of getting Anthony to sign an extension were slim, but explored the possibility anyway given that Anthony has had a good relationship with Jordan as one of his product line’s top endorsers. Anthony will make about $6 million this season through the Jordan Brand. Sources said the two still have a solid relationship.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar1lsB5m0UzMnrsgNLAaKtO8vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer123110

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 07:00 AM
If there's no way he would sign an extension with the Nets, then why wouldn't he just do to the Nets what he just did to the Bobcats? Just tell the Nets through a rep that you're not interested. NJ has made it clear already that they won't make the trade unless Melo signs an extension.

For those who didn't catch it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar1lsB5m0UzMnrsgNLAaKtO8vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer123110

Also, the fact that the Nuggets and Nets continue negotiating at the very least means that both organizations believe Melo is open enough to the possibility of extending w/ NJN that it's worth their time, energy and money (including money Denver has spent on flying scouts around to scope out Favors) to continue bargaining.

So, two possibilities:

1) Maybe those NBA fans who read rumors in the sports media know better than the Nets and Nuggets front offices based on their "intel", and understand they're just wasting their time because it's a lost cause.

Or 2) Maybe they actually have reason to believe Melo could extend with the Nets, which is why they continue pursuing a trade agreement.

Which seems like the more plausible explanation for their actions?

Hindy27
01-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Same old "nonsense"? Tell me they haven't been pushing this deal for months to no avail. Or better yet, tell me why Billy King of all people would help the Nets' miniscule chances of getting Melo to sign long term. The "Jay-Z and Prokhorov" plan worked wonders this past summer, Travis Outlaw and Jordan Farmar. :facepalm: Now that's some old nonsense.
Pushing the deal for months to no avail has got nothing to do with the Nets. The Nuggets have been stalling the whole time, whether they are using the Nets deal as leverage or just trying to let the Nets slip to a better spot in the lottery, who knows?
The Nets deal is still by far the most attractive to the Nuggets.

Also, I never said Billy King would help in the negotiations, and whether they signed anyone decent in the off season has nothing to do with the point I was making. How'd the off season negotiations go for the Knicks? oh that's right they were rejected by all the same players the Nets were. The only difference is that the Knicks were the only team to throw a contract at Amare. Even the Suns weren't silly enough to offer him max money.

Because it seems to have gone over your head I'll repeat it. The point was that the Nets will get to meet with Melo when Denver accepts a deal, they haven't met with him yet so Denver haven't actually agreed a deal. In that meeting if he agrees to an extension then the deal will be on, if he doesn't then the deal will be off.

Personally, I still hope he doesn't come to the Nets, especially if King is going to give up so much. I would love to see Denver get screwed over after all their stalling.

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 07:14 AM
I would love to see Denver get screwed over after all their stalling.

Why should they be in a hurry to dump their franchise player if there's even the remotest possibility he'll change his mind? I personally think that's a pipe dream, and that he'll almost definitely be gone by the deadline, but I really can't fault the Nuggs FO for carefully guarding their most valuable asset.

Hindy27
01-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Why should they be in a hurry to dump their franchise player if there's even the remotest possibility he'll change his mind? I personally think that's a pipe dream, and that he'll almost definitely be gone by the deadline, but I really can't fault the Nuggs FO for carefully guarding their most valuable asset.
I agree with that, but from the outside looking in it seems like they are using the Nets.
Either using the Nets as leverage or just waiting until the last minute so the Nets pick is better, I'm not sure. Denver may be looking after their own interests but in doing that they are screwing around with the time and money of other franchises, and it may come back to bite them.

When the 5 picks thing first popped up the Nets should've laughed and said "forget about it, good luck getting any decent picks off the Knicks, let alone a 3rd pick with high upside". Sadly though, from King's desperation that he has shown the world his response was probably more like "yeah sure, what else do you want?".

Hindy27
01-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I agree with that, but from the outside looking in it seems like they are using the Nets.
Either using the Nets as leverage or just waiting until the last minute so the Nets pick is better, I'm not sure. Denver may be looking after their own interests but in doing that they are screwing around with the time and money of other franchises, and it may come back to bite them.

When the 5 picks thing first popped up the Nets should've laughed and said "forget about it, good luck getting any decent picks off the Knicks, let alone a 3rd pick with high upside". Sadly though, from King's desperation that he has shown the world his response was probably more like "yeah sure, what else do you want?".

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Except the big difference is that the Nuggets are not eager to part ways with Melo, while other teams are very eager to acquire him. It's the Pepsi Center phones that are ringing off the hook, not vice versa. So there's nothing inappropriate about the Nuggs being willing to discuss trades, but to at the same time ask for the other teams' patience while they figure out what they think will be the best course of action for the organization.

sunsfan88
01-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Honestly if I were New Jersey I would chill on Melo... I would maybe move Brook Lopez and Devin Harris. I would try and let Favors and James get a ton of PT, maybe get some pieces... Maybe flip Brook Lopez and the Troy Murphy expiring for Javale McGee, Kirk Hinrich, and Al Thornton. Then flip Devin Harris, Stephen Graham, and Johan Petro and a future first for Andre Igoudala and Jrue Holiday. Then make a push at Carmello this offseason..

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=248r9k9
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2deun9k

Lol that would never happen. Holiday and Iggy are both young players with a lot of potential.

Maybe they'd trade Igoudala by himself but I doubt they include Holiday.

Antipod
01-02-2011, 08:31 AM
They will get **** )))
Don`t be too greedy, or you may lose him for nothing

lvlheaded
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Listen, I dont believe Melo will sign with NJ. That is just my opinion. The team is 9-25 and is going to have to give up a great young talent in Favors and future (probably high) 1st round picks to get him meaning they will only go as far as Melo takes them pretty much.

That said, it is very possible that Melo isnt flat out telling the Nets he wont sign there because he is trying to do the Nuggets a favor. If Melo went to the Nets and said sorry, im not signing in NJ, Denver loses all leverage in any negotiations. It is very possible Melo is hoping that by doing the Nuggets a favor and letting them use the Nets as leverage over his preferred team (Knicks), that the Nuggets will do him the favor of sending him where he wants to go. Im sure Melo feels some type of sympathy for the Nuggets with his wanting to leave so he is trying to help them out by not taking away all their negotiating power.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26731017

I also find it hard to believe that if Melo were truly interested in NJ theyd be backing off any type of trade talks for him, no matter how frustrated with Denver they are. After all, they said there was 2 reasons the Nuggets wanted to wait till mid-season to try to trade Melo. 1. Was to try and make a last effort to convince him to play in Denver. 2. Was to give the Nets a chance to prove they could play well and try to convince Melo he would make them a legit contender with him on the team.

So far, both efforts have come up futile.

PennyMy#1
01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
5 picks ? Good god ...

2 first rounder should be okay for Denver. But, I'm not sure how serious you can take that "5 picks" statement. I mean ... it's poker. Of course you start high ...

Like:

I want 5 ... you get 1. I want 4 you get 2. I want 3 ... you get 2 and a filler. Deal.

pistonsfanomg
01-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow lol

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
A few points to make on the side...

1. To me, this writeup reeks of attention grabbing. Woj, who I consider a generally somewhat reliable/legit sportswriter, is pretty much embroiled right now in a battle of the Melo scoopers with Chris Tomasson, Ken Berger, and Chris Sheridan (and there are more, but those four are making the most headlines), for a) who will be regarded as the best/most accurate/most well-sourced/most insightful/most prophetic writer on the Melo beat, and b) who will actually break the story first when there's actually a story to break (which so far, there has not been). So I take this "5 draft picks" business with many massive grains of salt, because it seems to me to be a pretty transparent attempt by Woj to get hits to his article and put himself back at the center of the MeloMediaScape (which is kind of disappointing).

2. We won't ever really know what Melo thinks about New Jersey until there's an actual offer on the table, and he meets with Jay-Z and the rest of their crew and hears their pitch, and then signs - or doesn't. Until then, all of this is pure speculation, with people choosing the rumors they wish to believe based on their desired outcomes.

3. Did any of you watch the Nuggets-Kings game? No? Okay, well then you may not have seen Melo's reaction to J.R.'s 3rd big shot of the 4th quarter (it's probably about 4 or 5 minutes into the quarter, if you download or tivo it and want to watch). He jumps off the bench with a huge ecstatic grin on his face, it's his first game back after a week of tragedy in his family life, he's clearly so relieved to be back with his teammates, back on the basketball court, back in Denver.

I'm not saying this means he'll stay. On the contrary, I think he's gone. But I do believe that his rapport with the team, the organization, the guys in the front office, the ownership, the coaching staff, is very, very good. And I think that if he ends up leaving, he'll wish to do so with the least harm done, and with no ill will or intent to the Nuggets.

He also cares about his reputation and his image.

He also cares about the tens of millions of dollars he'll lose out on if he can't be traded on that extension.

And yes, he also (probably) wants to play for the Knicks more than any other team.

And he likes winning (although it's clearly not his first concern).

Nobody knows how all of these factors and priorities balance out, though. Which is more important to Melo, playing for New York, or simply leaving Denver? Which is more important, leaving Denver, or being on a contender? Which is more important, appeasing his wife's lame-*** "career", or being successful in his own career? Which is more important, playing for the ideal team of his choosing, or getting that extension money? Which is more important, keeping his image cleaner by sacrificing another priority or two, or grabbing all he wants, PR be damned?

Nobody knows but Melo. But anybody who thinks the answer is simple is probably mistaken. And anybody who thinks he's not conflicted about the answers is almost definitely mistaken. And anybody who thinks they actually know the answers (when Melo himself probably has not completely resolved them all himself), is absolutely mistaken.

king4day
01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
They probably told the Nets, "Your only chance at Melo is by trading with us, otherwise he goes to NY".

airronijordan
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Melo isn't going to extend with nj or any other team besides ny (trust me - I have some info that you guys don't have)

Any other team that wants melo is gonna have to rent him

Young and Stupid
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Let me just preface this by saying that I agree with virtually everything Den said above me.

To the OP:

Are the Nuggets asking for too much? No. As we all know price is relative to demand. Does it seem like the Nuggets are asking for too much? Yes. Should the Nuggets ask for less? No.

It is in the Nuggets' best interest to stall the Melo thing and milk as much out of it as they can. It would behoove the Nuggets to keep him on the team -- as long as it doesn't effectively decrease his value -- for various reasons. The Nuggets are aware that they will not compete at the same level after Melo departs, they are also aware that there is a great chance the team will generate less revenue and assuming that they don't care about Melo's well-being there is no reason to trade him until the deadline.

If the Nuggets were dealing with a competent negotiator than the Nuggets would feel a need to get this situation fixed, however it has become evident -- to almost anyone who has followed the situation -- that the Nets are not a competent negotiator. This doesn't mean that the Nets' front-office is incompetent, it means that there is an obstacle which prevents them from being competent. The Nets possess one of the worst qualities a negotiator can have: desperation. The Nets don't have any outside-options, they need a star to open up Brooklyn and the only available one appears to be Melo.

Not only are the Nets desperate, they have also shown themselves to be desperate. The Nuggets are doing what a negotiator should do, they're playing this perfectly. They know that the Nets will NOT walk away from this because they need it, they're willing to effectively inhibit the team's long-term on-court success just to acquire a crucial piece to their business-model. The Nets are more interested in making money and generating media-buzz than they are in fielding a successful team for the future. The Nets are so worried about the Knicks getting Anthony and pairing him with Stat that they're willing to damage their well-being to prevent him from playing in The Garden. That IS a problem, one that the Nuggets are aware of and are using.

The Nuggets will get more than adequate compensation if they choose to move Carmelo. The Nuggets were already getting that from the Nets' initial offer, but they knew that the Nets would give up more. The Nuggets are playing this situation perfectly.

I think that his sister passing away will have an effect on the outcome. I'm not sure which way it will sway him, but I think it will. I still think there's a possibility that he ends up staying with the Nuggets.

My odds:
Knicks - 50%
Nuggets - 30%
Nets - 15%
Other - 5%

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Good post, YnS. To isolate one single point you made:

It would behoove the Nuggets to keep him on the team -- as long as it doesn't effectively decrease his value -- for various reasons.

Melo himself, by playing really damn well this season (last game notwithstanding), has boosted his own trade value. That is not in his own self interest in terms of a trade, since if he's playing hot, the Nuggets will demand more of the team he's traded to (which in turn means that team won't be as good).

-----------------------------

On a totally separate note, and my last for the night:

Everyone's sleeping on Houston.

_Supreme_
01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I didn't read the whole article, but I doubt Denver expects to get 5 first round picks from one team.

Anthony being worth 5 picks depends entirely on the exact spots of the picks. Expecting to get 5 top 10/15 picks is not realistic, but if there is a 4 team trade and they'd get, for example, a #5, #12 and three #20-ish picks, then I'd say that is perfectly fine for a proven star player.

It also depends on what else comes in a trade.

eman
01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
A few points to make on the side...

1. To me, this writeup reeks of attention grabbing. Woj, who I consider a generally somewhat reliable/legit sportswriter, is pretty much embroiled right now in a battle of the Melo scoopers with Chris Tomasson, Ken Berger, and Chris Sheridan (and there are more, but those four are making the most headlines), for a) who will be regarded as the best/most accurate/most well-sourced/most insightful/most prophetic writer on the Melo beat, and b) who will actually break the story first when there's actually a story to break (which so far, there has not been). So I take this "5 draft picks" business with many massive grains of salt, because it seems to me to be a pretty transparent attempt by Woj to get hits to his article and put himself back at the center of the MeloMediaScape (which is kind of disappointing).

2. We won't ever really know what Melo thinks about New Jersey until there's an actual offer on the table, and he meets with Jay-Z and the rest of their crew and hears their pitch, and then signs - or doesn't. Until then, all of this is pure speculation, with people choosing the rumors they wish to believe based on their desired outcomes.

3. Did any of you watch the Nuggets-Kings game? No? Okay, well then you may not have seen Melo's reaction to J.R.'s 3rd big shot of the 4th quarter (it's probably about 4 or 5 minutes into the quarter, if you download or tivo it and want to watch). He jumps off the bench with a huge ecstatic grin on his face, it's his first game back after a week of tragedy in his family life, he's clearly so relieved to be back with his teammates, back on the basketball court, back in Denver.

I'm not saying this means he'll stay. On the contrary, I think he's gone. But I do believe that his rapport with the team, the organization, the guys in the front office, the ownership, the coaching staff, is very, very good. And I think that if he ends up leaving, he'll wish to do so with the least harm done, and with no ill will or intent to the Nuggets.

He also cares about his reputation and his image.

He also cares about the tens of millions of dollars he'll lose out on if he can't be traded on that extension.

And yes, he also (probably) wants to play for the Knicks more than any other team.

And he likes winning (although it's clearly not his first concern).

Nobody knows how all of these factors and priorities balance out, though. Which is more important to Melo, playing for New York, or simply leaving Denver? Which is more important, leaving Denver, or being on a contender? Which is more important, appeasing his wife's lame-*** "career", or being successful in his own career? Which is more important, playing for the ideal team of his choosing, or getting that extension money? Which is more important, keeping his image cleaner by sacrificing another priority or two, or grabbing all he wants, PR be damned?

Nobody knows but Melo. But anybody who thinks the answer is simple is probably mistaken. And anybody who thinks he's not conflicted about the answers is almost definitely mistaken. And anybody who thinks they actually know the answers (when Melo himself probably has not completely resolved them all himself), is absolutely mistaken.

Hey Den, I have to applaud you on all of your efforts to edumacate the rest of the posters outside of Denver Nuggets board who have the tendency to come onto this site ignorant of all the inner workings of the Carmelo Anthony contract extension and proposed trade situation.:clap:

loki34
01-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Denver will take the best last minute deal available...5 1st rounders don't believe the hype.

Suns front office wants 7 1st rounders for Robin Lopez!!....see what i did there came up with some ******** statement to give you something to talk about. :cool:

nycericanguy
01-02-2011, 11:42 AM
In all likelihood, he stands to lose well over $30 million in total salary through 2015 if he opts out next summer and signs under whatever the new maximum contract conditions are settled on in the new CBA.

Two generalizations:

Knicks fans think Nuggets fans are too confident in Melo's desire to sign the extension and get that money, because they believe playing in New York is more important to him than the money.

Nuggets fans think Knicks fans are too confident in Melo's desire to play for the Knicks - and only the Knicks - because they think at the end of the day his economic self interest (a polite term for "greed") will ultimately win out and trump his (rumored) stubborn insistence on only NYK.

Melo said himself in the summer of 2009, regarding the first big extension he signed with Denver:

“I wasn’t going to leave no money on the table. We don’t do that where I come from.”

So make your predictions as you wish, based on what you want to believe, based on which rumors you think are true, based on whatever. But for my money, the smart money is on... the money.

I agree with most of your post, those are pretty much the two side. But you bring up that quote alot, he said that like 2 years ago when he was very willing to sign in DEN. His mindset has obviously changed dramatically since and the landscape of the NBA changed with that trio in MIA.

Not saying you're incorrect, because frankly no one really knows, but he has said far more revealing quotes this season. To keep bringing up a line he said 2 years ago is like the CLE fans that kept bringing up the "I won't stop until I deliver a championship to the city of CLE" that Lebron said.

adidas2307
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
This statement is even more ludicrous than the idea of the Nuggets asking for 5 picks.

I think you may have misunderstood. If you're sending a prospect along with maybe two more players, then he's worth two picks.

blahblahyoutoo
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM

yup, that's a lotta money to give up. i don't see him walking away from that.
there's going to be a sign and trade.

blahblahyoutoo
01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
That has got to be a joke
Denver will get
1st rounder aquired by ant randolph
1st rounder 2014 kincks
Eddy curry
Wilson chandler
For melo

Come on now with the cba and the 90% chance of a lockout til dec of 2011
Denver needs to except the fact that they need to be way under the cap in 2012 andprep ty lawson to get them to the p?ayoffs
Denver would be lucky to get the 7th seed this year facing either la, dal, or sa int the1st round which they will not be able to win
With melo the knicks would face the magic,bulls or atl and they would win
And perhaps even have a shot at the finals pending the celtics take out the heat in round 2
This would bring nba ratings threw the roof on the east coast

the knicks aren't going to get out of the first round, even with carmelo, without a good rebounder (a plus if he's also a good shot blocker).

blahblahyoutoo
01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
You seem to forget the $800 million dollar renovation one of the worlds most famous arenas is getting. People don't realize BK is not Manhattan and its not even close. Just because it says NY on the address doesn't mean its the same. That like comparing los angeles and san francisco and saying its the same. MSG is located in arguably the greatest location in the world, the straight heart of NYC.

heart of nyc is times square. MSG is too far west.
but i do see your point and mostly agree.

pd1dish
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
i didnt need to read that article to know that the nuggets are asking for too much. thats why there hasnt been a trade made yet. they are going to hold out as long as possible, but if they want to get anything out of melo, then they are going to have to settle for a trade at the deadline. it would be really stupid of them to not get a trade done.

Jets012
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
They probably told the Nets, "Your only chance at Melo is by trading with us, otherwise he goes to NY".

That is the only reason why the Nets are persuing so hard to aquire him. The Nets know that the chance of them getting Melo via free agency is not very high. The last thing they want is for the Knicks to get Melo and form a big 3 of their own.

gilly
01-02-2011, 12:33 PM
The Nets are screwed if the Knicks get Carmelo. They could then get CP3 the next offseason and the second big three will be in New York. The Nets will become the Clippers of NY.

Jets012
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
The Nets are screwed if the Knicks get Carmelo. They could then get CP3 the next offseason and the second big three will be in New York. The Nets will become the Clippers of NY.

This is actually what I am trying to say. They want a franchise icon and Carmelo would be great for the whole organization. The Nets are going to do anything in their power to make sure Melo does not go to the Knicks.

DeyAce
01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I bet he dosen't get moved till the offseason

Jets012
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I bet he dosen't get moved till the offseason

I would bet he does get moved before the offseason. The nuggets want something in return and they know there is no chance that they get 5 picks for anyone. They are just trying to pressure NJ into giving up too much.

DenButsu
01-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I would bet he does get moved before the offseason. The nuggets want something in return and they know there is no chance that they get 5 picks for anyone. They are just trying to pressure NJ into giving up too much.

I would put the odds at theseabouts:

91.999 Melo is traded by the deadline
08.000 Melo extends with the Nuggets
00.001 The Nuggets allow Melo to walk for nothing

(and yeah, I did invent the word "theseabouts")

I agree with most of your post, those are pretty much the two side. But you bring up that quote alot, he said that like 2 years ago when he was very willing to sign in DEN. His mindset has obviously changed dramatically since and the landscape of the NBA changed with that trio in MIA.

Not saying you're incorrect, because frankly no one really knows, but he has said far more revealing quotes this season. To keep bringing up a line he said 2 years ago is like the CLE fans that kept bringing up the "I won't stop until I deliver a championship to the city of CLE" that Lebron said.

I bring up that quote a lot for a reason: I don't trust any direct statement, any indirect report, any rumor, any official position, any unofficial position, from any side or any party in this whole matter until the dust settles and we know what really happens. Everybody has a political/PR interest. Everybody has a selfish interest. Everybody wants to manipulate the situation to their own advantage, and getting word out, be it by direct media interviews, by "sources close to the situation", by anonymous tips and leaks, it really doesn't matter, every individual and organization involved is trying to play up their own angle.

So where does that leave us? With a whole lot of bull**** to sift through and decide for ourselves what's real and what isn't.

That quote is real. It's real Melo, from the heart.

True, it was about a previous contract extension, and not the one that's currently on the table. But that's real talk from Melo, speaking frankly about his thinking, in retrospect, about a done deal, with no vested interest in spinning it for PR purposes, with no need to play any angle. That's a rare moment of genuine insight into Carmelo's true mentality about his approach to contractual situations.

You won't find many quotes from many players like that. They have handlers who advise them not to make such statements, but instead keep it close to the vest. Their agents don't want them to tip their hands because it weakens their bargaining position.

You've seen me post this before, too, but it bears repeating: Melo is a guy who had (still has?) a separate room for his jackets, and another separate room for his shoes. He's a total diva (image search "Melo" + "suit" for visual exhibits), a total materialist.

He has a music/film business to finance.

He cares about money. A freakin LOT. Anybody who would claim otherwise instantly loses credibility in this discussion.

Now that's not *necessarily* to say that he cares about the money more than he cares about playing for the Knicks. Or that he *necessarily* cares about the money more than he cares about winning.

But if you set aside all the bull****, all the rumors which are unsubstantiated, all the hearsay, and sift everything down to the cold, hard, objective facts which we can know empirically, then what we can say with a high degree of certainty is that financial wealth has a very, very high priority in Melo's life.

That quote is his open acknowledgment of that fact. And it's relevant. It's less than two years ago when he said it. What, you think he went through some deep, spiritual soul transformation? Went full hippy, renounced materialism, and committed himself to a Dalai Lama-esque pursuit of pure happiness?

LaLa Vasquez would beg to differ. And Melo himself would have a word to say about it, too.

Anthony being worth 5 picks depends entirely on the exact spots of the picks. Expecting to get 5 top 10/15 picks is not realistic, but if there is a 4 team trade and they'd get, for example, a #5, #12 and three #20-ish picks, then I'd say that is perfectly fine for a proven star player.

It also depends on what else comes in a trade.

A very important point, and I think you're the first to make it in this thread. In fact, I think almost none of the (alleged) picks would even be lottery. The GSW pick is 1-12 protected, iirc. 1st round 20-30 are arguably less valuable than 2nd round 31-40, for what that's worth.

Hey Den, I have to applaud you

Hey, I applaud you too, eman! :clap: Your posts in the Nuggs forum deserve more responses (including from me - sorry! :o ).

bahama0811
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I really hope people don't think the Nuggets are expecting to get 5 picks for Melo. This is just their starting point for negotiations. Any good negotiator knows that you start high and work down. You aren't going to start with what you are actually expecting to get. That would just be a bad business move.

tdunk21
01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
greedy nuggets.....lol

mike4sure
01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
:laugh2: Melo is barely worth two first round draft picks.he must be stuck on stupid.they were allow to hand check back then they had way better defenders who literally beat you up before and after each play like the bad boys from detroit .they had the jordan rule ,physically try to take his will.these guys are too soft these days,period.most of these guys wouldnt be on a nba roster,back then.you had to make the team . now if your a high draft pick you make the team if you dont even play much.if you go back and take the worst team in the nba and the played today they would be a nba chapionship caliber team,hands down. today you kinda know whos going to win the nba title between 4 to 6 teams.back then it was double that.

NYsFinest
01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
heart of nyc is times square. MSG is too far west.
but i do see your point and mostly agree.

5 minute walk from Times Square....

NYKNYGNYY
01-02-2011, 04:39 PM
or they can just wait till feb 24th and get practically nothing, or they can be realistic now

IBleedPurple
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes way too much. Melo is no Kevin Garnett (who the Celtics gave up half of their team and two picks for). He is a scorer who can rebound. Melo is worth two picks an expiring and an Anthony Randolph caliber player. I would put Al Jefferson in the same category as Melo... and he was only worth two picks.

You have serious problem evaluating talent

thekmp211
01-02-2011, 05:19 PM
this is just posturing by denver. they clearly understand that they will not be netting 5 first round picks in any deal for any players.

i think this is out there to let teams know that denver will be happy to sit on melo if an appropriate deal doesn't come along.

el_primo_nano
01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
They are asking for that much because there are dumb/desperate GM's that are willing to give up that much like the Nets

Stuckey#3
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
You have serious problem evaluating talent

People talk like Melo is a top ten talent. I think he is somewhere between 11-20. Jefferson's numbers are down a little this year... but he is sharing the front court with Millisap and Okur. The past five years Jefferson has averaged 20/10 and 1.8 blocks. All I am saying is that Melo's talent level is closer to that of Jefferson last year when he was traded to Utah than KG in 2007 when he was traded to Boston.

Stuckey#3
01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Top ten in front of Melo IMO (in no particular order):

1. Durant
2. Kobe
3. LeBrick (I hate to admit it)
4. Wade
5. Dwight
6. Amare
7. Kevin Love
8. CP3
9. Deron Williams
10. Derrick Rose

Also Steve Nash, Dirk, Monta Ellis, Zbo and Pau are all better than Melo.

NYsFinest
01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Melo leaving the Nuggets to sign an extension with Nets would be preposterous. Assuming Melo gets traded to NJ tonight and the 8th seed can be had with 39 wins, the Nets would have to go 30-18 to have a shot at the playoffs. Is this Nets team (even more depleted by the trade) a .630% win percentage team with Melo? With every day passing, the necessary winning percentage would get steeper and would most likely be unattainable if they wait another month. Would be really exciting to see a top 10-15 player in the NBA get traded to a team 10 games out of the playoffs with 30 games left.

DerekRE_3
01-02-2011, 06:17 PM

1. Durant
2. Kobe
4. Wade
5. Dwight
6. Amare
7. Kevin Love
8. CP3
9. Deron Williams
10. Derrick Rose

It's not a question of talent with this trade. It's a question of leverage. The Nuggets get less and less of it the longer they wait to trade him.

Stuckey#3
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I realistically put melo on the same level as Kevin Martin, Russell Westbrook and Danny Granger. Melo has also had something a lot of the top ten guys have never had... a good supporting cast ever since he came into the league. Denver didn't surround him with scrubs they surrounded him with guys like Chauncey, AI(when he was good), KMart, Nene, Andre Miller and also great role players. Melo is worth no where near five first round picks.

Stuckey#3
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
It's not a question of talent with this trade. It's a question of leverage. The Nuggets get less and less of it the longer they wait to trade him.

I agree... but you have to feel somewhat insulted if you are NY, or NJ who have been jumping through hoops trying to accomidate Denver ever since the Decision went down.

DerekRE_3
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree... but you have to feel somewhat insulted if you are NY, or NJ who have been jumping through hoops trying to accomidate Denver ever since the Decision went down.

I wouldn't feel insulted. I'd just laugh at their demand and wait it out. And if teams want to jump through hoops to try to sweeten their offer that's not Denver's problem.

THE GIPPER
01-02-2011, 06:27 PM

1. Durant
2. Kobe
4. Wade
5. Dwight
6. Amare
7. Kevin Love
8. CP3
9. Deron Williams
10. Derrick Rose

You have either never seen melo play, or you just dont know anything about basketball.

Mplsman
01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes. Way too much.

AddiX
01-02-2011, 06:42 PM
You have either never seen melo play, or you just dont know anything about basketball.

He had Love rated 7, it's pretty clear he don't know ish about Bball.

Mudvayne91
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM

What have the Nuggets done to make NY jump through any hopes? They've said all along they want high picks, which NY doesn't have. They've been pretty up front with the Knicks. If the Nugs liked what NY had to offer, it would've gotten done by now.

MSU4life
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM

1. Durant
2. Kobe
4. Wade
5. Dwight
6. Amare7. Kevin Love
8. CP3
9. Deron Williams
10. Derrick Rose

i would build a team around melo b4 i wld build a team are the names bolded

Jets012
01-02-2011, 06:51 PM

So you would not build a team around A'mare, Paul, Nowitzki, Nash, or Williams?

THE GIPPER
01-02-2011, 06:51 PM
^^thats exactly where i would place him too. #6

THE GIPPER
01-02-2011, 06:53 PM
So you would not build a team around A'mare, Paul, Nowitzki, Nash, or Williams?

i think he meant he would just RATHER build a team around carmelo than those other guys

Jets012
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
i think he meant he would just RATHER build a team around carmelo than those other guys

Yea, sorry misread the post. I realized right after what he was trying to say.

Slimsim
01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
The longer this goes on the better it is for NY and probably keep Chandler in the process

bahama0811
01-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm glad we have so many Knicks GM's here, it really makes it easier for me to know what to expect.

Confusious
01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
They have a wicked sense of humor.

icon1914
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM

1. Durant
2. Kobe
4. Wade
5. Dwight
6. Amare
7. Kevin Love
8. CP3
9. Deron Williams
10. Derrick Rose

All of the bold people are question marks IMO... With the exception of Love ( who will need more time to prove me right or wrong about him) none of those guys could get a team out of, in some cases not even to, the first round of the playoffs.

Ellis is a great scorer, but I'm not sure they are going anywhere with him as the best scoring option (Im aware that he got out of the first round against Dallas, but he was more like a 5th or sixth option back then). Zbo is a 20/10 machine that has never played in the post season... and Pau was 0-12 in the playoffs before he hooked up with Kobe.

Point is Melo, while maybe not a top five, or maybe even 10, talent in the NBA, he is one of the rare people you could be a team around. They have been in the playoffs almost every year since they got him... that says something. I would think his name should easily raise above the unproven talents in the league... On the right team Melo could be a game changer.

effen5
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM

I'd build a team around Rose (which they have), Deron, CP3, and Nash before I would build around Melo.

hugepatsfan
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
He should fetch Favors, Troy Murphy (expiring) and 2 (maybe 3 ) picks IMO.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Melo's gonna end up in New York anyway.

Stuckey#3
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
He had Love rated 7, it's pretty clear he don't know ish about Bball.

I said no particular order. And yes IMO Love>Melo. You give Love a slew of talented big men to compliment him, a top ten PG and a future HOF coach (which Melo has had all of for years) he is in the playoffs probably out of the 1st round. People underestimate what type of talent has been around Melo. I think Denver could be a winning team without him.

Stuckey#3
01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Love is also in his third year averaging 21/15/2 and shooting 88% from the line. Melo averaged 26/4/2 in his third year... which is good... but IMO not as impressive. And yes I have seen Melo play, he can score and rebound and is an average defender; a lot of flash.

rhino17
01-02-2011, 11:45 PM

1. Durant
2. Kobe
4. Wade
5. Dwight
6. Amare
7. Kevin Love
8. CP3
9. Deron Williams
10. Derrick Rose

1) Kobe
2) Durant
3) Lebron
4) Wade
5) Deron
6) Paul
7) Dwight
8) Dirk

are the only ones that should or could be taken over melo, those plus melo are about the only players in the nba a legitimate title contender could be build around

Chill_Will_24
01-02-2011, 11:49 PM
I think the only team that would be desperate enough to do that is NJ. NY is playing it cool and that will only benefit them if they want Melo but here is the thing... Do they even need him? Or is just business move? They are already the best offense in the league. Why get a guy who's only talent is scoring? Knicks problems are NOT on offense. They are offensive beasts! Also they are selling out on a nightly basis so it's not like Melo would net THAT much more profit. Their biggest issue is still their bench. 40+ minutes for the starters is gonna take it's toll come playoff time. Get Camby, Flynn, and Mayo and you have an amazing squad

knicksfan42
01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
I said no particular order. And yes IMO Love>Melo. You give Love a slew of talented big men to compliment him, a top ten PG and a future HOF coach (which Melo has had all of for years) he is in the playoffs probably out of the 1st round. People underestimate what type of talent has been around Melo. I think Denver could be a winning team without him.

Melo is a proven superstar (or at least an all-star) who's been putting up great numbers for 7 seasons (now in his 8th), K-Love has put up average numbers in his first two seasons and has just begun to put up great numbers (for a third of a season). Melo also lead his team to the playoffs each year. I also think that Melo's numbers would have been significantly better if he was on the T-Wolves the past 3 seasons (compared to the numbers he put up on the Nuggets during those seasons).

Chill_Will_24
01-03-2011, 12:03 AM
The Nets are a horrible team and their biggest problems stem from offense. They don't have a guy that can get them a bucket when they go on those oh so common droughts. They don't have any real offensive threats so teams are doubling and tripling Lopez who is a second option on a winning team at best. Because teams are packing the paint Harris cant efficiently penetrate. Add to that that he's not a natural PG so he struggles to make the right pass. Not to mention they dont have a guy to rally them and pick them up with his play so they have a losing mentality. They don't know how to win. People that doubt the Nets would be a playoff team with him need to see this. Melo fits that team perfectly whether he realizes it or not.

Melo will elevate that whole team cuz he knows how to win. No more constant doubles on Lopez which should allow him to relax and play his game. He was never supposed to be what the Nets are forcing him to be. Melo will also elevate Harris' game (see Harris stats when playing with an old VC). Also less pressure on shooters so better 3pt % all around. The Nets are horrible but luckily the thing they lack most is exactly what Melo would provide.