PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson to retire after season.

dnewguy
01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Phil Jackson has said this is his "last stand" with the Lakers after coaching the team for 11 seasons.

He has won five of his NBA-record 11 championships with the Lakers and has reached the Finals 13 times.

Still, Jackson was asked again if he could see himself taking some time off and coming back to coach.

"No," Jackson responded quickly.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/31/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20110101

The L A Lakers will miss him.

barreleffact
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
heard this before and honestly, this may be the time he should take it seiously and definitively. the only thing i am concerned with is what would become of the laker offense?

Hawkeye15
01-01-2011, 01:12 PM
We have heard that before. But if it holds true this time around, the NBA, and all its fans, loses arguably the greatest coach of all time. I will miss him for sure

ManRam
01-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I believe it. The writing has been written on the wall for a little bit now...

I think win or lose, he'll stop. Laker fans can blast me if they want, but I think a big reason is because this particular championship's core is beginning to wear down just a little bit. He doesn't want to coach a non-championship team...he's never ever wanted to.

Either way, he'll go down as unquestionably one of the two to three greatest coaches ever, perhaps standing alone ultimately.

DoMeFavors
01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
You think they will still do the triangle next year?

Teeboy1487
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Not surprising. It's something I expected going into the season. After watching the HBO special Lombardi, I can definitely understand even further why Phil wants to retire. He is my favorite coach of all time and I will definitely miss him when he retires. I'm going to cherish the remaining games we have left with him. He is the best coach ever imo. Hopefully, we can let him retire on top but that's going to be tough.

Hustla23
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Phil, at least bring back the beard and goatee before you go.

You look like a freaking *** without it.

DoMeFavors
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I still dont consider Phil the best coach, he never had the guts to take over a bad team.

Antipod
01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Again? )

ManRam
01-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I still dont consider Phil the best coach, he never had the guts to take over a bad team.

I don't have the balls to go that far, but I also don't think he is the clear GOAT because of that reason. I'd kill to see what he could do with a team that wasn't a clear championship contender irregardless of the coach. He did avoid bad teams...and while I do think he's been thinking about retirement for a while too...after this season is a very convenient time for someone who doesn't want to coach non-championship teams to retire. Winning a championship, or 10 is incredibly hard no matter who is on your team...but you can't overlook who in fact was on his teams. I think a lot of coaches could win with those guys. It would help a lot too if he had invented the triangle. Implementing it was a great coaching display, but again, he always had the pieces to do so.

blacknell
01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
this is going to be phil's last season or he comes back and coaches the heat to a few rings

Hawkeye15
01-01-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't have the balls to go that far, but I also don't think he is the clear GOAT because of that reason. I'd kill to see what he could do with a team that wasn't a clear championship contender irregardless of the coach. He did avoid bad teams...and while I do think he's been thinking about retirement for a while too...after this season is a very convenient time for someone who doesn't want to coach non-championship teams to retire. Winning a championship, or 10 is incredibly hard no matter who is on your team...but you can't overlook who in fact was on his teams. I think a lot of coaches could win with those guys. It would help a lot too if he had invented the triangle. Implementing it was a great coaching display, but again, he always had the pieces to do so.

I think the counter that is that those guys couldn't win without Phil either. Proof is in the pudding

Baller1
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Personally think he's one of the most overrated coaches in the game, but I'm probably in the minority there.

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Ah... Phil feels that way now, but if the Lakers dont win this year, I cant see him going out on a losing note.

That said, I also believe that if the chance to coach LBJ opened up, Phil would have to take it. I think most fans in the league would agree that they would like to see Phil doing the Xs and Os for LBJ, even if only for one year.

As for those saying that Phil never took on a bad team, he did once, the Lakers were horrible when he returned to them. They were a lottery team without Phil and Shaq, and when Phil came back, even though there were noadditional pieces, he still helped pull them out of the lottery and into the playoffs. Though I will agree that while impressive though his championship totals are, he has been a very lucky coach as well as a very good one.

static_inferno
01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Never had the guts to coach a bad team? How about the 05-06 season when he coached a Laker team comprised of Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Smush Parker, Brian Cook, Devin Green, Jim Jackson, Aaron McKie, and Slava Medvedenko? Or the 06-07 season, when many of those same scrubs were still on the roster? Not only did he have the "guts" to coach those teams, those teams made the playoffs and gave a run for the Suns' money in 06.

John Walls Era
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM

I think win or lose, he'll stop. Laker fans can blast me if they want, but I think a big reason is because this particular championship's core is beginning to wear down just a little bit. He doesn't want to coach a non-championship team...he's never ever wanted to.

Either way, he'll go down as unquestionably one of the two to three greatest coaches ever, perhaps standing alone ultimately.

I agree with this.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
You think they will still do the triangle next year?

2 words
Brian Shaw

Supa
01-01-2011, 04:51 PM

FYI, Phil only coached two teams in his NBA career. He inherited the bulls team from Doug Collins, and pursued by the Lakers.

So your logic of "never had the guts" = He decided to coach the Lakers?

What coaches don't want to coach the Lakers when they have the chance?

---

godolphins
01-01-2011, 04:58 PM
this is going to be phil's last season or he comes back and coaches the heat to a few rings
Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4....
not 5....not 6....not 7

FlakeyFool
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Personally think he's one of the most overrated coaches in the game, but I'm probably in the minority there.

This.

PRETTY BIRD'
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4....
not 5....not 6....not 7

not 8...not...9, Let me help you out a bit, I think the # your looking for is ZERO :cool:

SA5195
01-01-2011, 05:10 PM
This has been like the 4th straight year he said this. Then he came back.

PRETTY BIRD'
01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
never had the guts to coach a bad team? How about the 05-06 season when he coached a laker team comprised of kwame brown, chris mihm, smush parker, brian cook, devin green, jim jackson, aaron mckie, and slava medvedenko? Or the 06-07 season, when many of those same scrubs were still on the roster? Not only did he have the "guts" to coach those teams, those teams made the playoffs and gave a run for the suns' money in 06.

^ this

C-Style
01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Didn't he have the balls to coach a none contender in 05-06?

Kevj77
01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Didn't he have the balls to coach a none contender in 05-06?Yes, but haters conveniently forget about that.

The fact that he has coached great talent is somehow a knock on him is hard to understand as well. Red had great talent in Boston, Riley had great talent in LA, Pop has had great talent on the Spurs, Daly had talent on the bad boys. Who has won multiple titles without talent or even great players?

Sportfan
01-01-2011, 07:04 PM
How epic would it be if Doc stepped down and Phil took over the Celtics :D

I would call Phil the GOAT of coaching

still1ballin
01-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Smush Parker, Brain Cook, Kwame Brown ring a bell?

d00d
01-01-2011, 07:10 PM
the first day the 98 Bulls were to report, Phil handed them a playbook entitled "Last Stand"

It was his last year with the Bulls so I would agree that if he is using those words, he is serious

DwayneMVPwade
01-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Yo, Phil finish off your career strong with a championship

kblo247
01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Smush Parker, Brain Cook, Kwame Brown ring a bell?

Not only that, but he chose those Lakers over the Knicks who every analyst said had more talent overall and would be a better team. The only two teams to make a hard push for him was LA and NYC and he chose LA to reunite with Kobe and end things on a better note than he left them despite the worse roster and record.

And the guy who took over that Knicks team that was deeper and in a weaker conference, was a so called better coach. He failed miserably iirc, while Phil coached his team to 2 straight finals with his 3rd best player being Luke Walton for two straight years.

Phil coached the youngest team ever to make the finals and to win a ring. He has never missed the playoffs. He took a team led by Scottie to the playoffs and finished over 500 for the season, which is something that MJ never did once without Scottie (finish 500). In fact Shaq played for years and never won before Phil, nor never played at a level close to the way he did for Phil at anytime in his career. Kobe and Fisher became full time starters and championship closers under Phil. Bynum was developed under Phil, and Odom/Gasol were both made men under him. Hell the 3peat Lakers won with far less talent than they had during the end of the 90s and broke records under him. MJ never won a thing of substance without Phil, neither did Kobe.

If you are saying he isn't the greatest coach of all time because he coached talent and won with it, when other coaches tried and failed with that same talent or more you are kidding yourself.

AIRMAR72
01-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Not only that, but he chose those Lakers over the Knicks who every analyst said had more talent overall and would be a better team. The only two teams to make a hard push for him was LA and NYC and he chose LA to reunite with Kobe and end things on a better note than he left them despite the worse roster and record.

And the guy who took over that Knicks team that was deeper and in a weaker conference, was a so called better coach. He failed miserably iirc, while Phil coached his team to 2 straight finals with his 3rd best player being Luke Walton for two straight years.

Phil coached the youngest team ever to make the finals and to win a ring. He has never missed the playoffs. He took a team led by Scottie to the playoffs and finished over 500 for the season, which is something that MJ never did once without Scottie (finish 500). In fact Shaq played for years and never won before Phil, nor never played at a level close to the way he did for Phil at anytime in his career. Kobe and Fisher became full time starters and championship closers under Phil. Bynum was developed under Phil, and Odom/Gasol were both made men under him. Hell the 3peat Lakers won with far less talent than they had during the end of the 90s and broke records under him. MJ never won a thing of substance without Phil, neither did Kobe.

If you are saying he isn't the greatest coach of all time because he coached talent and won with it, when other coaches tried and failed with that same talent or more you are kidding yourself.

if something happens to da heat coach don't be surprise if coach phil offer his service to coach wade and bron the 2 best player in da league but these are da facts SHAQ was better player with da magics back in those days and he'll tell you that to your face micheal jordan made IT hard on everybody to win a ring and the second best player after him in da league was hakeem so a young slim energetic shaq had no chance of winning any rings back than and pippen was and still is the best SF in the league at the time so he was capable of taking da bulls to next the level with below average talent pippen was almost as great as jordan he practice with the best to ever play da game and just as passionate about it coach jackson wouldve love to coach da knicks but they didnt have the talents like da lakers so he chose da lakers when da lakers won there first 3 rings da league was weak (all da greats got old and some retierd) with subpar knucklehead players across da board unlike da new breed thats been coming out since 03 and after da NBA look good today with more talented players per team like how it used to be odom struggle for yrs playing on da lakers and look at gasol now and artest and you saying the 3peat laker won with less talent than micheal jordan bulls please type the FACTS not some ******** from RIGHT field

PennyMy#1
01-02-2011, 07:55 AM
We have heard that before. But if it holds true this time around, the NBA, and all its fans, loses arguably the greatest coach of all time. I will miss him for sure

x2

dodie53
01-02-2011, 09:09 AM
quit while he's ahead

Mave1002
01-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Overrated? Sure. :facepalm:

Do the math. Last time i checked, it was 11, wasnt it?

todu82
01-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Tremendous coach, will be missed by the NBA. Him and Scotty Bowman (NHL) are the 2 best coaches in sports history.

Wade>You
01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Phil is just running out of excuses to motivate the Lakers. He was supposed to retire about 3 years ago. Every year since then.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Haven't we been here before?

iu92grad
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
He'll be back. Maybe the Pistons will sign him--lol.

nrwskinny
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
He will take a year off and come coach a winning team that has been built by another coach---say like the OKC Thunder.....

3RDASYSTEM
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
He did take over a team that couldnt win it all but he knew they would reload when he came back and coached that Laker team after SHAQ left wasnt Champ. material and he showed ''ME'' how good of a coach he was cuz they blew a 3-1 lead but in the end the 'talent' level of PHX won in end, wasnt really his coaching fault but it made me realize he's been very fortunate to coach MJ/SHAQ..doesnt take me long to figure out things like most on here...hes a good coach who coached LEGENDS and now becomes LEGEND, nothing wrong with that, MJ/SHAQ were going to be Legend with or without PHIL, Jordan was on his way to be GOAT without Phil, its not like Chitown won instantly when Phil got there,they still got hammered by Bad Boys 1 or twice cuz i wanna say he took over in 89 and they won in 91 or somethin like that..so to me he does wat hes supposed to do, good coaches always do that

Hawkeye15
01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
He did take over a team that couldnt win it all but he knew they would reload when he came back and coached that Laker team after SHAQ left wasnt Champ. material and he showed ''ME'' how good of a coach he was cuz they blew a 3-1 lead but in the end the 'talent' level of PHX won in end, wasnt really his coaching fault but it made me realize he's been very fortunate to coach MJ/SHAQ..doesnt take me long to figure out things like most on here...hes a good coach who coached LEGENDS and now becomes LEGEND, nothing wrong with that, MJ/SHAQ were going to be Legend with or without PHIL, Jordan was on his way to be GOAT without Phil, its not like Chitown won instantly when Phil got there,they still got hammered by Bad Boys 1 or twice cuz i wanna say he took over in 89 and they won in 91 or somethin like that..so to me he does wat hes supposed to do, good coaches always do that

Little full of ourselves are we?

CB29
01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Wow really guys... anyone saying crap about him are a**holes... you know with him that its a health issue... He takes time in the summer to evaluate his health and see if he can handle another season... His back and knee problems don't even allow him to stand during the game while coaching. Give some respect to the coach who michael jordan, kobe and shaq say is the best coach of all time.... I'm sure they all have better knowledge than you.

blueplanet
01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Phil finally realizes this team has very thin chance of winning it all next year. He never wants to coach a team without any realistic chance of winning. I bet if they win this year he will be back.

Teeboy1487
01-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Pretty much this.

TylerSL
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
he reminds me of Brett Favre, he has retired before (04-05 season) I am pretty sure. And as of late their has always been speculation but in the end he returns. By no means am I saying that he IS like Brett Favre, retiring and coming back 3 times but his situation reminds me of it. I dont think he will come back if he retires again, so it wont be over for him until he DOES retire rather than just saying it

Kakaroach
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, but if it does happen that would be sad, though I won't miss him dominating the Jazz wherever he is.

Cano4prez
01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
As expected.

HakeemTheDream
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
It's a good time to retire, Miami will be too good next year after they get more pieces.

akagiredsuns
01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Wow seriously, people need to stop hating on Phil. When he came back to the Lakers they were 34-48 in 05-06 and had to retool and got back to the Finals in just 2 years. The guy is a legend. If people are gonna talk smack, then Popovich is an extremely overrated coach because he had Tim Duncan, Avery Johnson, & Sean Elliott in the title of '99 and won 3 titles in 5 years between '03 & '07 with Duncan, Ginobili, & Parker, along with a great bench. So let Phil be. 11 championships and 3 dynasties is unheard of in today's era of sports. If the Lakers win another one this year that will be a 4th 3-Peat Dynasty. Phil is the best coach and master strategist the game has ever seen. Let's see any other coach come close to what Phil has accomplished. Guys please. Overrated coach of all time? Phil? :facepalm:

Hustlenomics
01-02-2011, 04:43 PM
this is great news

el_primo_nano
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I think he should. He has 11 titles, nothing left to prove. He looks tired.. He needs to go out with another title though, and make it even. Be the first coach to win 6 titles with 2 teams

evadatam5150
01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/31/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20110101

The L A Lakers will miss him.

I think he's seen the writing on the wall.. He's squeezed as much talent as he could out of LA but obviously this team isn't responding and it's certainly not as talented.. I'm sure at some point you just burn out trying to motivate superstars and ego's..

I'm sad for sure and thankful all at the same time.. Seriously, who can you hire that matches up or brings the experience and credentials of Phil Jackson.. ??

evadatam5150
01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Never had the guts to coach a bad team? How about the 05-06 season when he coached a Laker team comprised of Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Smush Parker, Brian Cook, Devin Green, Jim Jackson, Aaron McKie, and Slava Medvedenko? Or the 06-07 season, when many of those same scrubs were still on the roster? Not only did he have the "guts" to coach those teams, those teams made the playoffs and gave a run for the Suns' money in 06.

I wonder why folks keep forgetting this.. They act as if the Lakers were a powerhouse when Phil came to town.. Buss specifically went after PJ because the Lakers weren't going anywhere and they certainly weren't a great team.. They had some pieces but they were far from being an elite team..

kArSoN RyDaH
01-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Best coach of all time HANDS DOWN!

macc
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
He'll come back to coach the Heat...haha

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-02-2011, 08:44 PM

I think win or lose, he'll stop. Laker fans can blast me if they want, but I think a big reason is because this particular championship's core is beginning to wear down just a little bit. He doesn't want to coach a non-championship team...he's never ever wanted to. Either way, he'll go down as unquestionably one of the two to three greatest coaches ever, perhaps standing alone ultimately.

I am sorry but that is just wrong. He came back when it was just Kobe and a bunch of scrubs. They were coming off a 34 win season when he signed on. They were no where near championship level. Yet he signed on and said that he could get them back to championship level in 3 years. Low and behold they were in the finals 3 years later.

That is basically taking over a lottery team and turning them into champions in no time at all. He has proven to be a great developer of talent, as well as a master of meshing giant egos

macc
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I am sorry but that is just wrong. He came back when it was just Kobe and a bunch of scrubs. They were coming off a 34 win season when he signed on. They were no where near championship level. Yet he signed on and said that he could get them back to championship level in 3 years. Low and behold they were in the finals 3 years later.

That is basically taking over a lottery team and turning them into champions in no time at all. He has proven to be a great developer of talent, as well as a master of meshing giant egos

I wouldn't go that far. All you guys can go back to ONE season that was rough for Phil. Granted he didn't have the best role players but he STILL had the BEST player in the NBA and the MOST DESIRED location to have an NBA team. I'm sure Phil didn't lose to many nights sleep wondering if he would get players the following year. So let's not make it sound like he went to the Bucks/Clippers/Nets/Timberwolves w/o wondering if his front office would give him a winning team in the following years.

macc
01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Phil is a great coach. Possible GOAT, but it's all debatable. Phil Jackson himself has said he doesn't think he's the greatest and has been blessed with some great players. Which he has. Winning titles obviously wouldn't be an easy thing to do, but when you have the best player in the NBA during all of those title runs, you have to admit theres some luck thrown in with his legacy.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't go that far. All you guys can go back to ONE season that was rough for Phil. Granted he didn't have the best role players but he STILL had the BEST player in the NBA and the MOST DESIRED location to have an NBA team. I'm sure Phil didn't lose to many nights sleep wondering if he would get players the following year. So let's not make it sound like he went to the Bucks/Clippers/Nets/Timberwolves w/o wondering if his front office would give him a winning team in the following years.

But that is not what ManRam said. He said he never wanted to coach a team that was not title contenders. I was just pointing out the flaw in that statement thats all. He may have thought they may have been able to get talent. Although I dont know how he would know that with the salary cap. Its not like they could go out and buy the best free agents.

Raph12
01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
It will be sad to see the Zen Master retire, I feel so old lol...

TRUTH-TELLER
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
probably will...and just before the knicks win a championship he will come out of retirement to lead them to a championship. phil is overrated to the 20th degree.

him and pat riley only go where they can win.

AddiX
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I think the current team falls apart without Phil.

Kobe has no leadership abilities, and it's obvious his teammates don't like him. Phil is the true leader and I don't think anyone else can run that team the way he does.

macc
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I think the current team falls apart without Phil.

Kobe has no leadership abilities, and it's obvious his teammates don't like him. Phil is the true leader and I don't think anyone else can run that team the way he does.

:facepalm: