PDA

View Full Version : Russel Westbrook - STAT Padding

Duncan = Donkey
01-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Against the Hawks. Russel Westbrook needed 1 assist to record a triple double.

With 12 seconds left and the Thunder up by 9 he ran down court and passed the ball to Ibaka for the Dunk which got him his triple double.

What everybody's view on this.

Cano4prez
01-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Who gives a ****? I thought it was fine

clutchski
01-01-2011, 04:44 AM
I'd do the same

Gators123
01-01-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm alright with it as long as its not against my team :p

koreancabbage
01-01-2011, 04:50 AM
i would do the same as well

being a douche bag would be that one player who tried to shoot at his own net and get the last rebound.

NetsPaint
01-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Eh, If I was in the NBA I probably wouldn't do it since it doesn't REALLY count since it's not like the other team is still trying to win, but I see nothing wrong with it. He probably got a laugh out of it too. Wasn't disrespectful to the other team.

jetsfan28
01-01-2011, 04:54 AM

being a douche bag would be that one player who tried to shoot at his own net and get the last rebound.

This. He didn't really go outside the normal confines of play. I would never want it from my team, because you should dribble out the clock there (I'd be much happier if there were 25 seconds left), but it's not a huge issue.

John Walls Era
01-01-2011, 04:57 AM
48 mins in a game. Not 47 and some decimal places... I'd do the same, its a Trip-Dub!

Duncan = Donkey
01-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Im really on the fence about it. The main reason why is that it was clear the Hawks players were just walking back and not playing the game anymore. Then Westbrook just ran past them and threw the dime.

Public Enemy #1
01-01-2011, 04:58 AM
No reason to do it, there is a code. If your up 9 points with like 12 seconds to go you don't run the ball up the court to get that one more assist. Game isn't about stats, its about winning. There is a principle.

John Walls Era
01-01-2011, 05:06 AM
This is what the Hawks get. Remember this: Josh Smith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EprveDGVBA)

DetroitRipCity
01-01-2011, 05:07 AM
48 mins in a game. Not 47 and some decimal places... I'd do the same, its a Trip-Dub!

This

Sixerlover
01-01-2011, 05:08 AM
I'd do it. Players are human too, and what young player doesn't want to get a triple double? It's not everyday that happens unless your Oscar Robertson.

If Atlanta would have played harder the first 47 minutes and 50 seconds, Coach Drew wouldn't have had to ***** about the last 10 seconds.

goblazers7
01-01-2011, 05:15 AM
I was kinda like Wtf at the time. Your up by so much at the time and you've got no shot clock you should just dribble it out and show respect. What's done is done. He's got plenty of time to get another trip dub. It's not like he's 38 years old and on his way out. He didn't need to.

iggypop123
01-01-2011, 06:00 AM
reminds me of ricky davis. not that it was the same but he was only concerned with one thing and that was his stats. even his coach didnt like it.

Baller1
01-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Loved it.

Knickrocketsfan
01-01-2011, 06:27 AM
ahh ron artest anyone.. well he tried.. lol

montafan
01-01-2011, 06:28 AM
it wasnt that big of a deal
there are times when players get a little out of control though and then they should stop but russel's last assist wasnt that unreasonable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzRvZcFn48

montafan
01-01-2011, 06:36 AM
it wasnt that big of a deal
there are times when players get a little out of control though and then they should stop but russel's last assist wasnt that unreasonable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzRvZcFn48

sunsfan88
01-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Poor sportsmanship by Westbrook. Some time another team is gonna do it to the Thunder and he'll realize what he did was wrong.

He needs to take notes from Durant on how to be classy and display good sportsmanship.

Mrphilly
01-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Nobody tries to score or get an assist with 10 secs on the clock up 9. If that was Andray Blatche or Lebron, this thread would be 20 pages long with insults. I like Westbrook, but that is not a good move. Dribble out the clock and show some respect. Anytime you play the game for stats, its a douche move. even if its just the last 10 seconds.

BYBLOS88
01-01-2011, 07:33 AM
who gives a ****. as long as the clock is still running PLAY till the end! and that's exactly what he did and there's nothing wrong with that. (go all out or don't go at all) that's my mot-ow!!!!!!

cambovenzi
01-01-2011, 07:37 AM
When he is getting a new contract or being measured as a player years from now, no one is going to say "oh you stat padded those triple doubles".
A great move for him.

Not the classiest move in the world, but tough **** for those who dont like it. he has a triple double now.

ClipperfanKevin
01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
For fans who place so much emphasis on a players stats to judge his value, its ridiculous for you all to expect players to be perfect sportsmen...

PennyMy#1
01-01-2011, 08:21 AM

This.

Kashmir13579
01-01-2011, 08:46 AM
title of the thread shouldve been "David Lee - STAT Padding"

Niro
01-01-2011, 08:53 AM
who cares?
i probly would do the same

Pharoe18
01-01-2011, 09:38 AM
On my fantasy team...Thanks Westy!

ragee
01-01-2011, 09:56 AM

WTF... Someone did that?

Gibby
01-01-2011, 10:23 AM
WTF... Someone did that?

ricky davis did.

im suprised more people arent upset by this. wonder if it would the same if it was lebron.

SteBO
01-01-2011, 10:43 AM
If you have a problem with it, do something about it. I think Larry Drew was jus pissed because he lost the game. Even Russel didn't do it, the result would have been the same for them, an L.

Gram
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
For fans who place so much emphasis on a players stats to judge his value, its ridiculous for you all to expect players to be perfect sportsmen...

This. Well said.

godolphins
01-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I remember Andre Blatche trying to get a triple double :laugh:

godolphins
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
ricky davis did.

im suprised more people arent upset by this. wonder if it would the same if it was lebron.
The Lebron haters just got an erection fantazing what they would of post on here if Lebron did that

JJ81
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
It's not like padding for rebounds, it was a genuine assist.

ragee
01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
ricky davis did.

Wow... What did the people say when Ricky did it? The assist wasn't really a big issue in my opinion... That is nothing compared what you are saying Ricky Davis did...

The Lebron haters just got an erection fantazing what they would of post on here if Lebron did that

Hahahaha... It would have been crazy!

97NYer
01-01-2011, 11:05 AM
love westbrook

Shkelqim
01-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Is there still time left? Go for it. It's more a career accomplishment. You wonder when a guy needs a rebound, he pushes his own teammates out of the way. I saw iGGy do it here. So who gives a **** Keep it up Kid. He's an animal

Kashmir13579
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
are people really upset by this? its not like he was bugging out like Andray Blatche.

MiamiWadeCounty
01-01-2011, 11:42 AM
if i was in the nba on a defensive rebound when all the players are running down the court i would just throw the ball of the backboard like 7 or 8 times to get my rebound count up quick

qqqqwwww
01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
LEE will definitely get traded at the trade deadline to a team who's in the playoff hunt! great move by the O's. (use lee for half of there disappointing season then trade him for some prospects that will help them rebuild for the future). and he comes at a good cost well worth it. i like kebi . i like kebi jerseys NBA jerseys $45 (http://www.abcneed.com)

69centers
01-01-2011, 11:52 AM
If the other team was still running up to play D, it's fine. However, if they were standing around, or walking off toward the locker room, it's a douche move on Westbrook's part.

There is an unwritten code that players don't run up the score or even attempt a shot if you're up big with the ball, the other team's not fouling, and the time is less than the 24 second shot clock. If he broke that code, it isn't cool in my book.

Hustla23
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
There's an unwritten rule that you don't try to score when you're up. It's just part of basketball etiquette.

So obviously he's a douche.

toovey107
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
If the other team was still running up to play D, it's fine. However, if they were standing around, or walking off toward the locker room, it's a douche move on Westbrook's part.

There is an unwritten code that players don't run up the score or even attempt a shot if you're up big with the ball, the other team's not fouling, and the time is less than the 24 second shot clock. If he broke that code, it isn't cool in my book.
Yup, feel the same way.

Show some class.

PhillyFaninLA
01-01-2011, 12:15 PM
My attitude on this is its the pros. Your paid to stop someone and they are paid to not be stopped. I believe running up the score only exists at the amateur level not professional.

Now running up the score is classless but all the players are paid to do a job, either do it or get burnt.

Also in this case we are talking about 1 assist for a triple double not 3 or 4. Not a big deal IMO.

daleja424
01-01-2011, 12:28 PM
It comes off as disrespectful to me.

The Hawks should have knocked Westbrook out. If it is okay to pad stats in the final seconds it must also be okay to commit a hard foul as well.

And he couldnt manage a trip double while the game mattered so the triple double looses its luster as well.

JWO35
01-01-2011, 12:30 PM
48mins in a game, play till the whistle sounds...the opposition didn't care, so why should any of us care?

daleja424
01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Is there still time left? Go for it. It's more a career accomplishment. You wonder when a guy needs a rebound, he pushes his own teammates out of the way. I saw iGGy do it here. So who gives a **** Keep it up Kid. He's an animal

How is it a career accomplishment to get an extra assist with no one on the other team trying?

Anyone who has played basketball knows that the respectful thing to do is to dribble out the clock.

pd1dish
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
i voted who gives a **** cus id probably do the same thing and its always cool when a guy can get a triple double

daleja424
01-01-2011, 12:33 PM
48mins in a game, play till the whistle sounds...the opposition didn't care, so why should any of us care?

There was no opposition... the Hawks had their back to the play and were walking up the court. They assumed that Westbrook had an ounce of respect for the game. You better believe he is going to get their best game next time they face each other, and you better believe Westbrook is going to feel some extra contact.

Bullsfan22
01-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I really don't care but It just tells you what kind of player he is. He cares about his stats, the great ones care about winning and would have just settled for having 9 assist. It's not really a big deal I'm sure he's not the only stat padder in the NBA.

millerandco
01-01-2011, 12:43 PM
i'd do the same...its not like ricky davis which was a douche move

PhillyFaninLA
01-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Why are none of the people that have a problem with this complaining about the guy who scored?

Just because a ball is passed does not mean a play needs be finished.

MSU4life
01-01-2011, 12:56 PM

this

RadiantShot
01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Last time I checked, you play all 48 minutes of a Basketball game. Sew the man because he wanted a triple-double. There's no rule saying, "You can't stat-pad in the last seconds of a game." Disrespectful? If that's the case, let me just say I found it disrespectful that the Hawks didn't defend the last possession. I don't see the big deal. It's one assist that he wanted to throw in with his other nine. End of story.

arkanian215
01-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Nobody tries to score or get an assist with 10 secs on the clock up 9. If that was Andray Blatche or Lebron, this thread would be 20 pages long with insults. I like Westbrook, but that is not a good move. Dribble out the clock and show some respect. Anytime you play the game for stats, its a douche move. even if its just the last 10 seconds.

Blatche tried to get a trip dub against the Nets last season. He went as far as to beg Yi to let him get the rebound if the guy missed his free throw. Then when Cartier Martin got the def reb that prevented him from getting a trip dub, he started pouting.

Honestly, if you aren't gonna get between the ball and the basket no matter the score, you deserve to get scored on. I remember last season when Mo Evans tried to run up the score on the Nets. Twill got between him and the basket and picked up a flagrant. If you don't wanna get shown up, stop the ball or stop the guy with the ball.

blacknell
01-01-2011, 01:08 PM
who cares?

king4day
01-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Im really on the fence about it. The main reason why is that it was clear the Hawks players were just walking back and not playing the game anymore. Then Westbrook just ran past them and threw the dime.

He'll always be able to say he got the TD but Brooks should be concerned now that he has a player on his team with other things on his mind instead of simply winning by any means necessary.

ManRam
01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
This is truly a Who Gives a **** thing...

Unless, of course, you hate him...which probably for some twisted reason, because of the stupid point guard garbage, you are a Bulls fan.

Gibby
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Wow... What did the people say when Ricky did it? The assist wasn't really a big issue in my opinion... That is nothing compared what you are saying Ricky Davis did...

the league took away the rebound so he didnt get his triple double. i forgot if he was suspended.

tr3ymill3r
01-01-2011, 01:16 PM
It wasn't nearly as bad as Ricky Davis' attempt at a triple double. If I remember correctly he took a shot at his own basket in order to get his last rebound. However what happened to guys boasting about how they play hard or give 110% until the final whistle? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it was just an assist, therefore someone else had to score and after watching on Sports Center it didn't appear as if Westbrook motioned for him to run down the floor for the dunk either. I think the Hawks are just upset that after being considered a good team out east they've been a doormat and a joke once again. Quit complaining about being butt hurt and stop the guy the 9 times before the last assist.

Rivera
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
im fine with it.....at least its not ricky davis shooting at the wrong hoop and grabbing the rebound to get his triple double

Baller1
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM
It is ONE assist. If Westbrook really cared that much about statistics, he would've had a triple-double against the Nets earlier this season. He had 38 points, 15 rebounds, and 9 assists; the 9 assists coming in the first 45 minutes of the game. He went the rest of the fourth quarter and the three overtimes without an assist.

He's a young player who wants to accomplish something very few players in the NBA can. Was it the classiest move? No. Would most of you do the exact same thing if given such a unique opportunity? Probably.

reffahead
01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Well some say they should have knocked westbrick on his *** but that would have caused a fight no doubt so westbrick should have been more considered. Hopefully horford will knock him on his *** when they play in atlanta.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I really don't care but It just tells you what kind of player he is. He cares about his stats, the great ones care about winning and would have just settled for having 9 assist. It's not really a big deal I'm sure he's not the only stat padder in the NBA.

BS You can care about winning AND your stats, particularly when youve already won the game sherlock.

Dont blame Westbrook, blame the idiocy of fans and certain analyst for stretching the importance of a totally trivial mark (triple double oolala)

Chronz
01-01-2011, 02:13 PM
He'll always be able to say he got the TD but Brooks should be concerned now that he has a player on his team with other things on his mind instead of simply winning by any means necessary.

LMFAO concerned? Not likely

People said what a dumb **** for thinking you could get rebounds that way

Chronz
01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Well some say they should have knocked westbrick on his *** but that would have caused a fight no doubt so westbrick should have been more considered. Hopefully horford will knock him on his *** when they play in atlanta.

It wouldnt have started a fight, it would start a fight if the game was still being played competitively, but knocking down a guy whos trying to exploit your dumbness would be perfectly understandable. I love when players take advantage of dumb teams, especially come playoff time.

Remember when Wade could have dribbled the clock out only instead he emphatically threw it down. MESSAGE SENT

DLeeicious
01-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Getting a triple double is just achieving arbitrary numbers that for whatever reason is viewed as a big deal. There are so many different types of stat lines that are just as effective as squeeking out a triple double but since they don't meet the arbitrary requirements of the triple double they are overlooked, yet no one ever over looks triple doubles.

Meh just let the clock run out Russ.

static_inferno
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Alright with me considering he's on my fantasy team.

Bricklayer
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
No matter how you slice it padding your stats is an arrogant and selfish thing to do. It's not the end of the world by any means, but it shows little class on his part.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
No matter how you slice it padding your stats is an arrogant and selfish thing to do. It's not the end of the world by any means, but it shows little class on his part.

Welcome to the NBA

PhillyFaninLA
01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I'll ask this again.

Why is it that all the people that have a problem with this aren't blaming the guy that actually scored? Why are people not giving the guy that got the 2 points any criticism? Is it just hate on Westbrook?

You can't get an assist without another player scoring.

MaHaRaJaH
01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Andray Blatche

uchiha
01-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Who the hell cares... the Hawks already lost the game why the hell would they care whether a guy on the opposing team gets a triple double or not. What babies..

Chronz
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I'll ask this again.

Why is it that all the people that have a problem with this aren't blaming the guy that actually scored? Why are people not giving the guy that got the 2 points any criticism? Is it just hate on Westbrook?

You can't get an assist without another player scoring.
A fair point but a complicated one

What Im wondering is why people think this says anything about a players character. Lets take the highest character guy I can think of, D-ROB. Do you think it says ANYTHING about his character that he stat padded?

PhillyFaninLA
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
A fair point but a complicated one

What Im wondering is why people think this says anything about a players character. Lets take the highest character guy I can think of, D-ROB. Do you think it says ANYTHING about his character that he stat padded?

Guys are paid to play from the opening tip until the final buzzer regardless of whether its 48 minutes or overtime. I personally believe that stat padding or running up the score only exists in amateur competition because they are not paid to do a certain thing.

If you take the final 10 seconds off defensively then you are not doing what you are paid to do, finish the game or don't start it.

SteveNash
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Plenty of players pad their stats. Why should it matter if it's blatantly obvious or not?

DwayneMVPwade
01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm fine with this.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I would of done the same thing,
N mostly everyone would too

Bullsfan22
01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
This is truly a Who Gives a **** thing...

Unless, of course, you hate him...which probably for some twisted reason, because of the stupid point guard garbage, you are a Bulls fan.

WOW someone always have to comeback to bulls fans in a negative way, seriously that's getting old nobody hates westbrook.

Bullsfan22
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
BS You can care about winning AND your stats, particularly when youve already won the game sherlock.

Dont blame Westbrook, blame the idiocy of fans and certain analyst for stretching the importance of a totally trivial mark (triple double oolala)

where did I say he didn't care about winning? :rolleyes:. and for the bolded, caring about stats after winning the game means you are padding your stats. So what in my post is BS? Sorry try again. Nothing in my initial post was meant to be negative. I even went as far as say I'm sure other people care about their stats also.

NYMetros
01-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Classless move. Just run out the clock.

NetsPaint
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Last day of 2010.

He got caught up in the moment.

Coach should just tell him to be respectful.

Should be told that it doesn't count since it wasn't being defended.

Shows nothing about his character. People forget basketball should be treated as a fun game as well. Not war all the time.

It's not setting a good example for people who look up to him, but people making a big deal about it makes this only more well known and thought of. Let it pass so it won't give people who look up to him ideas of how to pad stats.

Stop saying he doesn't care to win. As someone said, he came an assist away from another triple-double in a game recently, but chose to win.

A lot of people think they're amongst the classiest bunch of people on the planet because they wouldn't do this. I wouldn't either, but stop treating him as if he's not human and it's not a game.

Reversed86Curse
01-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Against the Hawks. Russel Westbrook needed 1 assist to record a triple double.

With 12 seconds left and the Thunder up by 9 he ran down court and passed the ball to Ibaka for the Dunk which got him his triple double.

What everybody's view on this.

Couldn't care less, Hawks were going to lose whether it was by 9 or 11

reffahead
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
"Josh was upset about Ibaka’s dunk. The shot clock was off and the Thunder were up 101-92. “That’s a sign of disrespect,” Josh said. “Everybody in the whole league knows that you don’t do nothing like that. We remember something like that.”
Smoove had a conversation with Durant about the play: “He said he was going to handle it because he knew that wasn’t right.”
http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/01/01/atlanta-hawks-thunder-103-hawks-94/?cp=2

You see even durant said it was bush league. In baseball if your team is up big in the ninth you stay at 3rd base and don't go out your way to score.

In football you literally run out the clock and don't throw the ball. This is common sense for any sports fan...

RangersMets
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
When it comes time to talk about a new contract statistics are usually brought up.

I have no problem with a man trying to get himself a better paycheck.

THE MTL
01-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I remember this one Laker game (some white boy forgot his name) purposely missed a point blank shot in order to get the rebound and earn the triple double.

But honestly though, everyone does this. Not in the case where it comes to the last nine seconds. But players have statisticians, friends, etc. telling them what they need to get a triple double. Why do u think when a player is on the verge of a triple double and need the assist; there is alot of pass-then-shoot situations.

SA5195
01-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd do the same. Like someone else said, it would be a douche move if he shot it at his own net (and missed) and got the rebound.

IversonIsKrazy
01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Because it was an Assist, it wasn't as bad, for example Andray Blatche...

colinskik
01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
This is cool. What Ricky Davis did wasn't.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 05:35 PM
where did I say he didn't care about winning? :rolleyes:.
So then your post was pointless, no need to mention the bit about this showing what kind of player he is, proceeding that comment with "the great ones care about winning" makes your post all the more confusing if you werent trying to berate him.

and for the bolded, caring about stats after winning the game means you are padding your stats. So what in my post is BS?
Its BS because the great ones wouldnt abide by your beliefs

Sorry try again. Nothing in my initial post was meant to be negative. I even went as far as say I'm sure other people care about their stats also.
LOL learn how to communicate, when you portray great ones as not doing something that Westbrook did (which is utterly false) you are in fact being derogatory

*Superman*
01-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Looks like Josh Smith, their coach Brooks and Mike Bibby were mad about it and that Ibaka dunked the ball.

Thunder coach Scott Brooks wasn’t pleased either, shaking his head and frowning. Hawks guard Mike Bibby also shouted at the Thunder bench, waving his hand in disgust.

Brooks actually was more upset with point guard Russell Westbrook, who passed to a wide-open Ibaka underneath rather than holding the ball.

“When you got the game won, you run the clock out,” Brooks said. “Russell knows how I feel about situations like that. It was a mistake.”

Asked if he was upset by Ibaka’s dunk, or the foul, or both, Smith said, “You know what it was. That’s showing disrespect (dunking the ball). Everybody in the whole league knows you don’t do nothing like that. I talked to Durant about it. He said he would talk to him (Ibaka) about it, and he knew that wasn’t right.

“Everybody knows that’s not proper etiquette, you know what I mean? When you’re at a dinner table, you don’t dig in first when you visit somebody’s home. You relax and see what’s going on. You check everything out before you ever get you a plate. It’s just proper etiquette. You don’t do that.

“We won’t forget that (dunk). We won’t forget something like that.”

http://newsok.com/thunder-notebook/article/3528670

JayAllDay
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I made a pass in league game once and my the dude who caught my pass got rejected by the rim. I tried to get 10 dimes so I could win a coupon to Buffalo Wild Wings... I got stuck at 9 assists and I had to pay for my wings. It still tasted awesome.

Anyways, I digress...

1)If the Hawks were butt hurt about it they should have just fouled crap out of Ibaka.
2)He didn't beg for it. (Oh man that Blatche video was hilarity itself)
3)He didn't shoot at his own rim.

So...
He got a triple double! Kinda lame way to get it, but they come only so often even if you are ridiculously talented. Blatche probably begged because he knew that his next shot at a triple double might not ever come again, and I think Ricky Davis really believed he would get a rebound if he shot at his own rim. Westbrook is pretty sick but he probably knows himself that his chance of getting a triple double is gonna be rare.

I mean Jordan had only 28 triple doubles his entire career! If I was Westbrook, I'd get Ibaka something real nice for helping me get it.

Edit: Just saw the post above me. Hawks are more pissed off at Ibaka dunking the ball? Why didn't they foul him?

D Roses Bulls
01-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Looks like Josh Smith, their coach Brooks and Mike Bibby were mad about it and that Ibaka dunked the ball.

http://newsok.com/thunder-notebook/article/3528670

when your own coach isn't even defending your actions then you know you did something wrong. some people are saying well ricky davis was worse, doesn't matter, getting a tripple double like that is still wrong no matter if it was an assist or throwing it getting your own rebound. people on here sometime make me go :facepalm:

Super.
01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Who the **** cares?

Raph12
01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Who cares, he's a young guy, let him have his t-dub...

sep11ie
01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Im ok with it. Not like he went all Blatche on them.

netsgiantsyanks
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM

lolz, ricky davis.

netsgiantsyanks
01-01-2011, 06:54 PM
lolz, andray blatche.

"yo man, let me get the next rebound."
"na man, im already as bad as any basketball player could be, maybe a rebound would rejuvanate my career a bit."

-the conversation andray blatche had with yi jianlian at the free throw line.

netsgiantsyanks
01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
but really though, who gives a ****??

effen5
01-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't do it if the game was over. Its not really classy, just bring the ball up and run out the clock. Its about the W, not about triple double.

Bullsfan22
01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Chronz;16128793]So then your post was pointless, no need to mention the bit about this showing what kind of player he is, proceeding that comment with "the great ones care about winning" makes your post all the more confusing if you werent trying to berate him.

:laugh: lol this whole thread is about stat padding. The great ones care about winning also is that wrong?you're quoting facts and barking up the wrong tree. I'm starting to get the feeling your being sensitive to what I said without comprehending it.

"LOL learn how to communicate, when you portray great ones as not doing something that Westbrook did (which is utterly false) you are in fact being derogatory"

Again you're having a hard time comprehending my post "I said the great ones care about winning and would have just settled for having 9 assist". Learn how to comprehend a post before reacting in such a sensitive way. Like I said you're barking up the wrong tree. This is a waste of time.

jdmd3
01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Douche move. Surprised a lot of people said "who gives a ****".
If this was Lebron, he would have been crucified.

DerekRE_3
01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Maybe the Hawks should have stopped that from happening.

Hustlenomics
01-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Douche move. Surprised a lot of people said "who gives a ****".
If this was Lebron, he would have been crucified.

true , that being said who gives a **** ? let him get his triple double years from now no1 will remember him getting the assist with 20 seconds to go they'll remember the triple double

SteBO
01-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Isn't it funny how Josh Smith is reacting to this. He clearly doesn't remember his attempted between the legs fast break dunk.......... in GAME 5 OF THE 1st ROUND IN THE PLAYOFFS!
Against my team :pity:

Sactown
01-01-2011, 08:31 PM

If Josh Smith didn't like it then maybe he should of swatted it..
LOL imagine if a bench player jumped on the court to stop it.

Sadds The Gr8
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM
it helped out my fantasy team so im not hatin

Baller1
01-01-2011, 09:17 PM
when your own coach isn't even defending your actions then you know you did something wrong. some people are saying well ricky davis was worse, doesn't matter, getting a tripple double like that is still wrong no matter if it was an assist or throwing it getting your own rebound. people on here sometime make me go :facepalm:

Get outta here. Yes, it does matter; those scenarios are much different.

Draco
01-01-2011, 09:45 PM

I think players who shoot for those kind of accolades set the bar low. Rose is gunning for MVP, WB apparently likes triple doubles lol. I think it shows a difference in the degree of confidence those two players have in their abilities. Rose doesn't need a triple double to be taken seriously and to separate himself from the pack.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Again you're having a hard time comprehending my post "I said the great ones care about winning and would have just settled for having 9 assist". Learn how to comprehend a post before reacting in such a sensitive way. Like I said you're barking up the wrong tree. This is a waste of time.
LOL again your post was pointless, the great ones dont abide by your rules and what he did to stat pad doesnt mean a thing

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I think players who shoot for those kind of accolades set the bar low. Rose is gunning for MVP, WB apparently likes triple doubles lol. I think it shows a difference in the degree of confidence those two players have in their abilities. Rose doesn't need a triple double to be taken seriously and to separate himself from the pack.

LMFAO Classic Bulls response

Draco
01-01-2011, 10:18 PM
LMFAO Classic Bulls response

Here's another.. MJ didn't need to score 81 points against a hapless/defenseless team to be taken seriously and to separate himself from the pack.

SportsAndrew25
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
He can pad his stats all he wants, just I can pad my post total all I want. :p

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Here's another.. MJ didn't need to score 81 points against a hapless/defenseless team to be taken seriously and to separate himself from the pack.
The only difference it shows is that Westbrook is more of a triple double threat than Rose, it says NOTHING of their aspirations or goals.

Westbrook doesnt shoot for triple doubles hes just so good that he finds himself within shooting distance of one so he took advantage.

It really wouldnt impact his stature to miss out but your not going to avoid an easy triple double just because the team stopped playing.

PS Its hilarious you mention MJ though, he himself has chased triple doubles to the point of obsession

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Seriously people STFU about this showing anything about class, character, aspirations etc...

DAVID ROBINSON PEOPLE

Classiest hardest working player I can think of

VinceCarter
01-01-2011, 10:40 PM
If the Hawks cared and were aware of his stats then they should of played D. Unless they don't care which might just be the case. I would've done it. You work hard the whole game to be 1 away from a triple double you gotta take it.

Draco
01-01-2011, 10:48 PM
The only difference it shows is that Westbrook is more of a triple double threat than Rose, it says NOTHING of their aspirations or goals.

Westbrook doesnt shoot for triple doubles hes just so good that he finds himself within shooting distance of one so he took advantage.

It really wouldnt impact his stature to miss out but your not going to avoid an easy triple double just because the team stopped playing.

If the Bulls didn't have one of the best rebounding front courts in the NBA then Rose would be more of a triple double threat than he currently is. He's proven capable of doing whatever the coach has asked him to do. What I haven't seen Rose do is what WB apparently did.. make a play that had no impact on the game for the purpose of 'padding stats'.

Therein lies the difference.. doing whatever it takes to win verse doing more than is required after the game was already all but won.

Draco
01-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Seriously people STFU about this showing anything about class, character, aspirations etc...

DAVID ROBINSON PEOPLE

Classiest hardest working player I can think of

classy, hard working and stat padder.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
classy, hard working and stat padder.

Dont you just wish more players were like him

Draco
01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Dont you just wish more players were like him

Sure, you can easily overlook that it was a priority for Robinson to score 72 points or whatever it was... there's more to like about Robinson than to dislike. but I'd also rather have the kind of player that's so obsessed with winning that the idea of padding stats never crosses their mind.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
If the Bulls didn't have one of the best rebounding front courts in the NBA then Rose would be more of a triple double threat than he currently is.
Tell me how much more likely is he to reach that level? Quantify it for me, how does this make such a dramatic difference considering where the 2 teams rank in terms of DReb%? Put Westbrook on the Bulls and they become a better rebounding TEAM.

He's proven capable of doing whatever the coach has asked him to do. What I haven't seen Rose do is what WB apparently did.. make a play that had no impact on the game for the purpose of 'padding stats'.

Why doesnt the coach ask Rose to score more effectively?

Therein lies the difference.. doing whatever it takes to win verse doing more than is required after the game was already all but won.
In either case the difference means nothing. Both players do what it takes to win, the real difference is that one player made a play that was blatant. Im sure Rose has had his fare share of stat padding moments, they just werent as obvious, especially not to a hardcore fan such as yourself.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Sure, you can easily overlook that it was a priority for Robinson to score 72 points or whatever it was... there's more to like about Robinson than to dislike. but I'd also rather have the kind of player that's so obsessed with winning that the idea of padding stats never crosses their mind.

So youd rather have Rose than MJ?

MTar786
01-01-2011, 11:22 PM
i would do the same. anyone would. all of u would.

godolphins
01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
i would do the same. anyone would. all of u would.

I would if I played in the NBA

MTar786
01-01-2011, 11:29 PM

here's another. Lakers fans dont need to bring up weak shots at other teams players because we are not insecure about our team.. nor do we need to live in the past. laker fans do not live in the 90's. We live in the 10's. we do not live in the 20th century. we live in the 21st buddy

metsbulls1025
01-01-2011, 11:35 PM
here's another. Lakers fans dont need to bring up weak shots at other teams players because we are not insecure about our team.. nor do we need to live in the past. laker fans do not live in the 90's. We live in the 10's. we do not live in the 20th century. we live in the 21st buddy

Are you ****ing serious. For the past 7 years Laker fans have been taking shots at Lebron James at every mishap and saying Kobe would never do that. Kobe would never do this. Kobe would have played through that. Not to mention before Lebron came along Laker fans would try to compare Kobe to Jordan.

bklynny67
01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
i'm not reading through this whole thread to see if someone said this. but here's my take on it.

Who gives a ****!

plus, if it was a douche move by anyone, it was Ibaka for dunking it. all Westbrook did was make a pass. Ibaka could have just held it or dribbled it out to run out the clock since the game was basically over.

Baller1
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
If the Bulls didn't have one of the best rebounding front courts in the NBA then Rose would be more of a triple double threat than he currently is. He's proven capable of doing whatever the coach has asked him to do. What I haven't seen Rose do is what WB apparently did.. make a play that had no impact on the game for the purpose of 'padding stats'.

Hmmm...

A win vs. a win and a triple double.

Which one is better?

Baller1
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM

:laugh2:

effen5
01-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Hmmm...

A win vs. a win and a triple double.

Which one is better?

It doesn't matter..

a win is a win...but if he wanted to go for the triple double, its obviously a selfish move but go for it.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 12:07 AM
It doesn't matter..

a win is a win...but if he wanted to go for the triple double, its obviously a selfish move but go for it.

You're right, it doesn't matter. Let me rephrase I guess:

With a win already in place; Triple double vs. no triple double?

effen5
01-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Well I didn't watch the game nor do I know the score but usually, the winning team just runs out the clock...

effen5
01-02-2011, 12:09 AM
You're right, it doesn't matter. Let me rephrase I guess:

With a win already in place:

Triple double vs. no triple double?

Me personally, it doesn't matter. Triple double would be nice but I wouldn't want to get it the way Westy did at the end of the game, should have just dribbled it out.

Isn't this like an unwritten rule in basketball though? If you are up just run out the clock at the end?

Draco
01-02-2011, 12:10 AM

of course you're not insecure about your team, thanks for responding.

Draco
01-02-2011, 12:12 AM

go ahead.. what did MJ do to pad his stats?

effen5
01-02-2011, 12:13 AM
BTW, if Rose had 28,11, and 9 asts, I guarentee you alot of Bulls fans (excluding myself) would want him to get that last assist, even though Rose would just dribble the ball out. But I understand how Thunders feel though.

Draco
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Tell me how much more likely is he to reach that level? Quantify it for me, how does this make such a dramatic difference considering where the 2 teams rank in terms of DReb%? Put Westbrook on the Bulls and they become a better rebounding TEAM.

Ask John Hollinger if you want a specific number for the probability of Rose reaching WB's level if Rose were on WB's team. The most I'm going to play with numbers is to just point out that Rose has increased his total rebound rate since Noah's been out and he's improved in that statistic over the course of the season compared with last season.

In either case the difference means nothing. Both players do what it takes to win, the real difference is that one player made a play that was blatant. Im sure Rose has had his fare share of stat padding moments, they just werent as obvious, especially not to a hardcore fan such as yourself.

give me an example of an inconspicuous moment of stat padding.

deavin_17
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm fine with it, but if it was my team I would be pissed if someone didnt put him on his can next time around.

effen5
01-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Ask John Hollinger if you want a specific number for the probability of Rose reaching WB's level if Rose were on WB's team. The most I'm going to play with numbers is to just point out that Rose has increased his total rebound rate since Noah's been out and he's improved in that statistic over the course of the season compared with last season.

BTW, I've watched every single game Rose's played since joining the Bulls, he has never stat padded...

and there is no such thing as an inconspicuous moment of stat pad so I don't know what Chronz means by that

EDIT

lkingratedr
01-02-2011, 12:37 AM
when i played basketball my coach use to tell me dont stop playing until that final buzzer sounds and no matter what we would keep playing until that buzzer sounded no matter if we were up 1 or 100 what russel westbrook did was keep playing and he earned himself a triple double... the league doesnt record almost reaching it ... i would have done the same thing

Chronz
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Well I didn't watch the game nor do I know the score but usually, the winning team just runs out the clock...
There is no usually, many times the opposing team will play until the buzzer sounds and make sure a player doesnt take advantage. Its not on Westbrook, its on the Hawks for not paying attention.

Also how often do you see the exact opposite happen? Losing team gets a dunk or a last second shot off when the game is already over. Why is ok for the losing team to pad stats but not the winning team?

I remember one time Tmac tossed the ball to ref before the buzzer sounded and as it rolled downcourt an opposing player stole it jammed it.

Chronz
01-02-2011, 12:44 AM
go ahead.. what did MJ do to pad his stats?
Final season with Collins, down the stretch when he put him at the point, he would seek out triple doubles and constantly ask the boxscore trackers how close he was from double digit assists. If he felt they didnt correctly track his assists he would let them know.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
There is no usually, many times the opposing team will play until the buzzer sounds and make sure a player doesnt take advantage. Its not on Westbrook, its on the Hawks for not paying attention.

Also how often do you see the exact opposite happen? Losing team gets a dunk or a last second shot off when the game is already over. Why is ok for the losing team to pad stats but not the winning team?

I remember one time Tmac tossed the ball to ref before the buzzer sounded and as it rolled downcourt an opposing player stole it jammed it.

When a team is winning in the NBA by a number that's pretty much impossible number to come back by, you dont pat your stats and im talking about in the final seconds. its a unwritten rule of respect in EVERY single sport even in college football where you usually move up in the rankings based on the final score of the game.

also, when the losing team does it, it's to make the final score not look as bad and its not a unwritten rule for the losing team to do that, but it is for the winning team. YOU DO NOT ADD INSULT TO INJURY! even westbrooks own coach said it was wrong of him. so there you go, when your own coach can't even defend you then your wrong, case closed.

Chronz
01-02-2011, 12:49 AM
In other words, I shouldnt take your post seriously

I wouldnt care enough to, remember Im not the one with misguided notions of honor and respect. Every player in the game does it in some form or another, its human nature. People care about their stature and that stature is measured in some form by their statistics.

Chronz
01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
When a team is winning in the NBA by a number that's pretty much impossible number to come back by, you dont pat your stats and im talking about in the final seconds. its a unwritten rule of respect in EVERY single sport even in college football where you usually move up in the rankings based on the final score of the game.

also, when the losing team does it, it's to make the final score not look as bad and its not a unwritten rule for the losing team to do that, but it is for the winning team. YOU DO NOT ADD INSULT TO INJURY! even westbrooks own coach said it was wrong of him. so there you go, when your own coach can't even defend you then your wrong, case closed.
If its an unwritten rule then why do I still see teams defend the basket even when the game is over. They MAKE SURE it doesnt happen, if your dumb enough to concede a basket it must not mean that much to you.

Besides even so its still totally irrelevant in determining a players moral fiber, self worth, whatever it is people want to read into.

I mean do I think any less of MJ for padding his stats?

Draco
01-02-2011, 02:20 AM
In other words, I shouldnt take your post seriously

Personally I wouldn't take a post seriously that attempted to calculate whether Rose was capable of producing rebounds at WBs rate if he were on WBs team.

I wouldnt care enough to, remember Im not the one with misguided notions of honor and respect. Every player in the game does it in some form or another, its human nature. People care about their stature and that stature is measured in some form by their statistics.

"It's self evident because it's human nature and if you don't see it than you're a hardcore fan but if you press me for an answer i don't need to give one because it's axiomatic..." yeah, well.. until I see Rose blatantly stat pad I'm going to assume he doesn't and that perhaps it just isn't a priority for him like it is for WB.

Draco
01-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Final season with Collins, down the stretch when he put him at the point, he would seek out triple doubles and constantly ask the boxscore trackers how close he was from double digit assists. If he felt they didnt correctly track his assists he would let them know.

source?

Chronz
01-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Dude Ive read so many books over the years I cant remember which ones stated it but there were a few, if I go through the effort of tracking it down, would it change your mind?

Would you think any less of MJ? Its not as if MJ hasnt turned down the opportunity for statistical glory but its not like hes a saint either, EVERY great player has done it at some point.

sargon21
01-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Chronz, the whole premise of your argument is wrong. Up 9 with 15 sec. left or whatever, you run out the clock, not stat-pad, simple as that. There's no BS about having the defense get back; you run out the clock, unless like westbrook, you're a douche, which apparently westbrook is. Your letting your bias show for Westbrook and your hatred for Rose and Bulls fans-alike come through.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 03:17 AM
If its an unwritten rule then why do I still see teams defend the basket even when the game is over. They MAKE SURE it doesnt happen, if your dumb enough to concede a basket it must not mean that much to you.

Besides even so its still totally irrelevant in determining a players moral fiber, self worth, whatever it is people want to read into.

I mean do I think any less of MJ for padding his stats?

If the losing team or winning team didn't defend the basket after already losing or winning, what would it make that team look like? also, it's called pride. there is no pride in raking up more points or stats. Like I said, even Brooks was even mad about westbrook doing that. you dont kick someone when they are already down.

MJ didn't pad his stats like that. I grew up watching MJ and he had enough respect for the game and the opposing team to NEVER do that.

sargon21
01-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Yea seriously, Chronz is just pulling **** out of his *** on this one. I don't understand why he is a "respected poster" around here...

jmtapia
01-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Eh. He maybe should have just dribbled it out but whatever... hes not the first and wont be the last.

Not sure what MJ has to do with this either...

Dr. RPG
01-02-2011, 04:32 AM
How is it a career accomplishment to get an extra assist with no one on the other team trying?

Because here's the ticker....no one and i mean no one in this planet will even remotely remember him ever doing that 5 year or 10 years later. Everyone will forget and just look at it as a "oh he had this many triple doubles". Do you actually think anyone will remember how he got it in that time span? If you do, then you must have remembered how Michael Jordan got his 5th triple double in his career do you?....Exactly.

sunsfan88
01-02-2011, 04:37 AM
He didn't have any stats to pad tonight against SA!

barreleffact
01-02-2011, 05:15 AM
If the losing team or winning didn't defend the basket after already losing, what would it make that team look like? also, it's called pride. there is no pride into raking up more points or stats. Like I said, even Brooks was even mad about westbrook doing that. you dont kick someone when they are already down.

MJ didn't pad his stats like that. I grew up watching MJ and he had enough respect for the game and the opposing team to NEVER do that.

MJ wanted to kill and belittle the opposition. He was malicious. He didnt pad because he didnt need to, but it had nothing to do with respect of the opposing team. He would talk cash all game to them. Hed even tell them what moves he was about to do before he did them.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 05:24 AM
MJ wanted to kill and belittle the opposition. He was malicious. He didnt pad because he didnt need to, but it had nothing to do with respect of the opposing team. He would talk cash all game to them. Hed even tell them what moves he was about to do before he did them.

that's called trash talking, that has nothing to do with respect towards the other team. by jordan giving his best every night showed how much he respected each team. he didnt take nights off against bad teams, he played everyone one the same.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 05:25 AM
He didn't have any stats to pad tonight against SA!

:burn:

Baller1
01-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Chronz, the whole premise of your argument is wrong. Up 9 with 15 sec. left or whatever, you run out the clock, not stat-pad, simple as that. There's no BS about having the defense get back; you run out the clock, unless like westbrook, you're a douche, which apparently westbrook is. Your letting your bias show for Westbrook and your hatred for Rose and Bulls fans-alike come through.

Grow up.

The ONLY posters *****ing about the triple-double are Bulls fans. Go figure.

Draco
01-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Dude Ive read so many books over the years I cant remember which ones stated it but there were a few, if I go through the effort of tracking it down, would it change your mind?

No need.. I'll take your word for it.

Would you think any less of MJ? Its not as if MJ hasnt turned down the opportunity for statistical glory but its not like hes a saint either, EVERY great player has done it at some point.

Of course not but I wonder why badge hunting/stat padding was a priority for Jordan in his early years. I guess I can see Jordan getting triple doubles in garbage time as an arbitrary milestone to help motivate himself... there are a lot of stories out there about the ways Jordan motivated himself. But that still seems kind of hollow.

Draco
01-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Grow up.

The OP is probably a Suns fan lol

Baller1
01-02-2011, 05:49 AM
The OP is probably a Suns fan lol

And later stated that he was on the fence about it. So, what's your point?

sargon21
01-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Grow up.

Dude give me a break, I'm not a typical ******** 80 posts bulls fan talking ****, it doesn't matter who did this, this is andray blatche territory, and really shows a lack of character, sorry that it happens to be one of your favorite players. You're the one who needs to grow up and see this for what it is.

Draco
01-02-2011, 05:59 AM
There's an unwritten rule that you don't try to score when you're up. It's just part of basketball etiquette.

So obviously he's a douche.

I always knew you were a closet Bulls fan. ;)

Baller1
01-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Dude give me a break, I'm not a typical ******** 80 posts bulls fan talking ****, it doesn't matter who did this, this is andray blatche territory, and really shows a lack of character, sorry that it happens to be one of your favorite players. You're the one who needs to grow up and see this for what it is.

The majority of the posters in this thread have stated that it really isn't a big deal. It's not even remotely close to Andray Blatche's level, and it should have no bearing on a players character.

What exactly did that last assist do to affect anyone? He's a young player accomplishing a difficult feat; it really isn't that big of a deal.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Atlanta scored after Ibaka's dunk, should we be scolding them? I mean the game was over, why would they keep trying to score?

sargon21
This is not his 1st triple-double he's going after. It's a douche move and an indication of his character.

And sorry, I don't care what a bunch of these jackasses responses were; most said
"Hell if that was me, I'd do it too." Well that's not you, and these are professional basketball players, respect the game.

Edit: And OMG a Bulls fan is criticizing Westbrook OMG

sargon21
Atlanta scored after Ibaka's dunk, should we be scolding them? I mean the game was over, why would they keep trying to score?

:laugh:

Nice try.

Draco
WB must have been triple doubly pleased with himself.. he only had 1 TO in that game.

sargon21
01-02-2011, 06:09 AM
going to sleep... everything's been said that could be said

Chronz
01-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Yea seriously, Chronz is just pulling **** out of his *** on this one. I don't understand why he is a "respected poster" around here...
I dont give a flying **** what people think of me, but I NEVER pull **** out of my ***. Tell me what in this thread have I lied about. You wont be able to answer, meanwhile Ill be here.

If the losing team or winning team didn't defend the basket after already losing or winning, what would it make that team look like?
Like a team that doesnt take that final possession seriously, therefore its all on you. You dont want a player to score on you, then you take it away.

also, it's called pride. there is no pride in raking up more points or stats. Like I said, even Brooks was even mad about westbrook doing that. you dont kick someone when they are already down.

I dont care if Phil Jackson said it, if your ruthless you beat the living crap out of them.

LMFAO Yea its ok to pad your stats so long as the fan doesnt notice right.

Would it change anything youve said if I told you I hold Rose in higher regard? Why would I have bias for a team I want to do well?

Its not as simple as you want it to be, one form of stat padding is not more acceptable than another.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 06:11 AM
This is not his 1st triple-double he's going after. It's a douche move and an indication of his character.

And sorry, I don't care what a bunch of these jackasses responses were; most said
"Hell if that was me, I'd do it too." Well that's not you, and these are professional basketball players, respect the game.

Edit: And OMG a Bulls fan is criticizing Westbrook OMG

I'd absolutely love for another situation in which Westbrook directly pursued a triple-double.

Did you not see my post earlier in the thread about the New Jersey game? Westbrook finished the game with 38 points, 15 rebounds, and 9 assists; he got those 9 assists through the first 45 minutes of the game. He got 0 assists in the end of the fourth and three overtimes. If he really was a "douche" and lacked character, while only going for stats, don't you think he would have got the triple-double instead of scoring over 20 points? He didn't, he did what the team needed to win.

You're just overreacting, and it's quite evident why you are. Just because you're a fan of Rose, and there's no point in denying it. It's obvious to just about anyone who's followed this thread.

tredigs
Still going on about this one eh?

I think we can all agree that Westbrook is a terrible person whose #1 hobby is undoubtedly tripping small children while they run past him. To go on about this triple double is both pointless and, at this point, dated. It's wasn't a big deal then, and it's not a big deal now.

Chronz
:laugh:

Nice try.

Could you please respect the debating game and actually state your case. What did the dude say that was so wrong?

sunsfan88
01-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Westbrook finished with 23 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists - the last coming when he rushed the ball up to Serge Ibaka for a dunk with 6.9 seconds left instead of running out the clock. Players from both teams stayed on the court for a few moments after the game as the Hawks were apparently upset by the final sequence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/31/AR2010123104352.html

sunsfan88
01-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Westbrook finished with 23 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists - the last coming when he rushed the ball up to Serge Ibaka for a dunk with 6.9 seconds left instead of running out the clock.

"You don't do that. The game is over with," Atlanta coach Larry Drew said. "The game is over with. You've got the ball, you run the clock out. Just that plain and simple."

"When you've got the game won, you run the clock out," Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. "Russell knows how I feel about situations like that, and it was a mistake, but I'm not going to let a mistake at the end of the game ruin what we've done tonight. I thought the game was as well as we've played both ends of the floor against one of the best teams in basketball."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...#ixzz19ktjsAbt

xabial
01-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Look at those last two articles right before this post! :speechless:

Discussion over.

TylerSL
01-02-2011, 06:52 AM
who cares....

Minimal
01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
That was a douche move

JayW_1023
01-02-2011, 07:33 AM
^^^
he might have jinxed his team with it too, as they got spanked by the Spurs.

The Hawks ''one of the best teams in basketball' ...LOL

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
I dont give a flying **** what people think of me, but I NEVER pull **** out of my ***. Tell me what in this thread have I lied about. You wont be able to answer, meanwhile Ill be here.

Like a team that doesnt take that final possession seriously, therefore its all on you. You dont want a player to score on you, then you take it away.

I dont care if Phil Jackson said it, if your ruthless you beat the living crap out of them.

LMFAO Yea its ok to pad your stats so long as the fan doesnt notice right.

Would it change anything youve said if I told you I hold Rose in higher regard? Why would I have bias for a team I want to do well?

Its not as simple as you want it to be, one form of stat padding is not more acceptable than another.

Chronz, Like I said if his own coach is saying this

"When you've got the game won, you run the clock out," Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. "Russell knows how I feel about situations like that, and it was a mistake"

and Atlanta's coach saying this

"You don't do that. The game is over with," Atlanta coach Larry Drew said. "The game is over with. You've got the ball, you run the clock out. Just that plain and simple."

and even josh smith was upset

Asked if he was upset by Ibaka’s dunk, or the foul, or both, Smith said, “You know what it was. That’s showing disrespect (dunking the ball). Everybody in the whole league knows you don’t do nothing like that. I talked to Durant about it. He said he would talk to him (Ibaka) about it, and he knew that wasn’t right.

So like I said, its a unwritten rule.

Scotty Brooks statement should of been enough for you. case closed.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 08:06 AM
The majority of the posters in this thread have stated that it really isn't a big deal. It's not even remotely close to Andray Blatche's level, and it should have no bearing on a players character.

What exactly did that last assist do to affect anyone? He's a young player accomplishing a difficult feat; it really isn't that big of a deal.

and the majority of the posters are 16-18 years old that only know what ESPN tells them. Not that all of them are immature and ignorant, but a lot of them don't even know how to give respect in general. so they probably don't know what the hell is respectful to do. If rose did something like this, you and half the posters on this site would be down his *** griping about it. I bet you if you ask any REAL ball player if it's disrespectful or not, they would tell you it is. ever heard of the term, "just run out the clock"?

Chronz
01-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Chronz, Like I said if his own coach is saying this

and Atlanta's coach saying this

and even josh smith was upset

So like I said, its a unwritten rule.

Scotty Brooks statement should of been enough for you. case closed.
Believe me if the coaches could defend their words I would tell them the same thing I told you, but they arent here so dont rely on them. I dont give a **** what they say, only what you say

Chronz
01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
and the majority of the posters are 16-18 years old that only know what ESPN tells them. Not that all of them are immature and ignorant, but a lot of them don't even know how to give respect in general. so they probably don't know what the hell is respectful to do. If rose did something like this, you and half the posters on this site would be down his *** griping about it. I bet you if you ask any REAL ball player if it's disrespectful or not, they would tell you it is. ever heard of the term, "just run out the clock"?

Ever heard of the term you play till the game is over?

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Believe me if the coaches could defend their words I would tell them the same thing I told you, but they arent here so dont rely on them. I dont give a **** what they say, only what you say

I understand that, but again, it's known in every single sport played in the united states. you don't humiliate someone even more. It's been criticized when its done in football,baseball,basketball, ect..... and it will never be welcomed or accepted by the majority of the people in the media or the game. usually coaches and players defend their players and teammates actions, but you dont see anyone defending westbrooks actions on his team do you? If I hear one of westbrooks teammates or coaches come out and say something defending what he did then i'll change my opinion on what westbrook did, but right now, i feel pretty safe with what i believe.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Ever heard of the term you play till the game is over?

I think you are mistaken, when coaches say that, they don't mean embarrass your opponent when you already have the win locked up. every kid that plays any kind of organized sport is told to let the clock run out. every coach ive hd from kindergarten till my sophmore year of college has said the samething and im sure my coches aren't the only ones who have said it either. I thought this was something everyone is taught who playes organized sports :confused:

Antipod
01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
i`m ok with that ... anyway, he did with much more class than Blatche tried to do :D

Baller1
01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

The Bulls fanbase on this site (not directing this at you) is probably one of the youngest and most immature; the only posters against what Westbrook did are Bulls fans.

How do you not see that? If I get a chance today, I'll go through and find the posters who are against it if that's what it takes for you to realize I'm not making anything up.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Was it the most respectful decision? No. Is it a big deal? Not unless you're a fan of Rose and waiting for an excuse to discredit Westbrook.

SteBO
01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Was it the most respectful decision? No. Is it a big deal? Not unless you're a fan of Rose and waiting for an excuse to discredit Westbrook.
This. At the end of the day, it isn't the biggest deal because it doesn't matter whether the score 94-101 or 94-103. ATL still lost. But at the same time, Westbrook is a young player and if his own coach didn't like it, I'm sure Russel won't do it again. It's just a simple thing as "respect for the game". If Rose did this, I'll be the first to admit as a HEAT fan, that a lot of HEAT fans would be slurping it up on this thread. It's just an oppurtunity to discredit the player.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
are people STILL making a big deal out of this? Stat padding happens every night in the NBA.

*Silver&Black*
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Coming from a Hawks fan, WHO CARES? If it was Josh Smith I would want him to get a triple double. Next time, play better Hawks. They are 2 teams of grown *** men. Not 2 college teams with respect for schools. They are getting paychecks to be better than the next person.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Coming from a Hawks fan, WHO CARES? If it was Josh Smith I would want him to get a triple double. Next time, play better Hawks. They are 2 teams of grown *** men. Not 2 college teams with respect for schools. They are getting paychecks to be better than the next person.

There you go everyone, an answer from a Hawks fan. The case is closed.

Thanks man.

Ovratd1up
01-02-2011, 03:50 PM
The Bulls fanbase on this site (not directing this at you) is probably one of the youngest and most immature; the only posters against what Westbrook did are Bulls fans

Look, I'm mostly on the side of you and Westbrook to think that it is forgivable simply because he is young and it's not uncommon that a player wants a statistical feat and is willing to 'pad' stats to attain it. But this is just incorrect; the Bulls fanbase is I think the second largest here on PSD, and any and all outliers and immature posters are simply the results of having such a wide fanbase. There are plenty more knowledgable, informed, and mature posters that don't make themselves seen because they don't show up to your Westbrook 'debates' and don't spew homerisms in the NBA forum. To say that Westbrook's decision is confronted only because a certain group of forum posters find it convenient is just wrong. But it would be convenient, for you, anyway.

Baller1
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Look, I'm mostly on the side of you and Westbrook to think that it is forgivable simply because he is young and it's not uncommon that a player wants a statistical feat and is willing to 'pad' stats to attain it. But this is just incorrect; the Bulls fanbase is I think the second largest here on PSD, and any and all outliers and immature posters are simply the results of having such a wide fanbase. There are plenty more knowledgable, informed, and mature posters that don't make themselves seen because they don't show up to your Westbrook 'debates' and don't spew homerisms in the NBA forum. To say that Westbrook's decision is confronted only because a certain group of forum posters find it convenient is just wrong. But it would be convenient, for you, anyway.

Let me rephrase then; the Bulls fanbase that post in the NBA forum are some of the most immature and youthful.

I've been told that there are a copious amount of intellectual posters in the BUlls forum, but that does no justice in the NBA forum.

madvillian9
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM

seems like the most logical take on the whole matter.

Ovratd1up
01-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Let me rephrase then; the Bulls fanbase that post in the NBA forum are some of the most immature and youthful.

I've been told that there are a copious amount of intellectual posters in the BUlls forum, but that does no justice in the NBA forum.

That's fine, but throwing any Westbrook bashing aside as simply a homer act is far too convenient. A ton of other people are criticizing Westbrook, and they certainly have the right to do so.

D Roses Bulls
01-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Is this the new excuse in the NBA forum? I mean Heat fans say bulls fans are jealous that we don't have lebron, knick fans (SOME) say we are jealous we don't have Amare, and so on and so on. you even admitted yourself that what westbrook did wasn't smart so then why are we still talking bout this? did i miss something and people are saying westbrook sucks or something? the argument was that it was a douche move which it was. I don't understand why people are still arguing.

Supa
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
David Robinson and Shaq went for the scoring title on the last game of the 1994 season.

David won by scoring 71 points on the Clippers. Even Clippers fans were cheering for David; in fact, they were booing the Clippers players for running down the clock toward the end of the game.

In any case, Spurs won the game. Clippers tried to double Robinson, but had little success, as he was making outside jumpers, including 3 pointers.

If you have the opportunity, why not give it a go, as long as it's not detrimental to the game.

---

Draco
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

I've heard there's gold in them thar hills.

Sure and mature posters are the ones waiting to discredit Bulls fans who discredit WB.

Personally I really don't care about WB and his stat padding but I'll admit that its fun watching you get you get your panties in a wad lol

Mplsman
01-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I see nothing wrong here.

sargon21
01-02-2011, 10:31 PM
How is this not disrespectful to the game?

Can you even debate this? The Thunder coach even said it was wrong...

I don't care if this was Westbrook or anyone else, its BS

thebet
01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Some care about winning and others care about their stats. Plain and simple.

thebet
01-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I find you very amusing for a few different reasons. From an outsiders perspective it seems ironic that you accuse the chicago fan base of repeatedly discrediting Westbrook, when you have a "WESTBROOK > ROSE" sig. In all fairness, it seems like you are very sensitive to any negative comments on Westbrook's behalf. And I mean... come on... once again from an outsiders perspective: You have to be either incredibly ignorant or a complete Homer to think Westbrook is "greater" than rose.

KingPosey
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
No reason to do it, there is a code. If your up 9 points with like 12 seconds to go you don't run the ball up the court to get that one more assist. Game isn't about stats, its about winning. There is a principle.

Get outa here. So if a guy had 99 points on ur team, u wouldnt want him to try for 101?
And not just that, he only passed the ball. The other guy chose to score it.

Baller1
01-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I find you very amusing for a few different reasons. From an outsiders perspective it seems ironic that you accuse the chicago fan base of repeatedly discrediting Westbrook, when you have a "WESTBROOK > ROSE" sig. In all fairness, it seems like you are very sensitive to any negative comments on Westbrook's behalf. And I mean... come on... once again from an outsiders perspective: You have to be either incredibly ignorant or a complete Homer to think Westbrook is "greater" than rose.

What does my sig have to do with discrediting Rose? Forget it, I'm not going to deal with all the hate.

Enjoy your hate-fest on Westbrook in this thread, I'm over it.

DitchDat
01-03-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't really care

why wouldn't he do it?

ignorance=bliss
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Ok, you have clearly never played a sport in your life, or maybe just never coached well, but the last time I checked the game is 48 minutes long riiiight?

Why are there players walking when the game is still going? Hawks have no one to blame but themselves if they're salty. You wanna talk about some imaginary code! How about RESPECT. Respect for the game which these fools clearly have none of. Otherwise they wouldn't be walking back on d. MAN UP.

D Roses Bulls
01-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Ok, you have clearly never played a sport in your life, or maybe just never coached well, but the last time I checked the game is 48 minutes long riiiight?

Why are there players walking when the game is still going? Hawks have no one to blame but themselves if they're salty. You wanna talk about some imaginary code! How about RESPECT. Respect for the game which these fools clearly have none of. Otherwise they wouldn't be walking back on d. MAN UP.

No clearly you have never played organized ball before. take it from someone who has played in park districts since 5 to all the way up to sophomore year of college, you don't do that. No respectable coach teaches you to play that way when you have the game locked up. you don't run up the score and pad your stats.

Again, what don't people get about this?

_Supreme_
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Do you really not have more important things to worry about?

This is why the Chinese are currently beating the US' arse all over the place. It's because they don't spend days behind their pc arguing over Russell Westbrook's fething assist.

Phenomenonsense
01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm all for it. He's on my fantasy team. Also, as it was already stated, there are 48 minutes in the game, play for all of them.

XskwizitMC
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
bad sportsmanwise but not as bad as ricky davis, eh I'm not bothered by it as long as it wasn't against the bulls

Cool007
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM

This.

The whole point is to WIN the game. The game is OVER with.

This just tells me that Westbrook cares really about his OWN STATS. That is what I call an EMPTY STAT.

Westbrook is one of my fav player but he let me down with that type of stat stuffing move.

td0tsfinest
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I love Westbrooks game but what he did was disrespectful. Your team already won the game, the shot clock is turned off, you just don't do that.

RocketPower2010
01-03-2011, 02:35 PM

I actually think the more classless thing is walking off the court when there's still time remaining. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson wouldn't have allowed their teammates to do that.

LeQuit James
01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
suck it up baby. you are a lameass

LeQuit James
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
omg 2 points. oh shat. westbrook broke the rules. it is a 48 minute game not a 47 minute game. hop off haters.

KingPosey
01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I love Westbrooks game but what he did was disrespectful. Your team already won the game, the shot clock is turned off, you just don't do that.
there was 12 seconds left, he had to get it across half court right? He only passed the ball. The other guy is the one who took the shot attempt.

Geargo Wallace
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
It's not that big of a deal in my opinion. And is it really considered stat padding if it's just 1 assist? That's just like a broad adding a single piece of toilet paper in her bra to make her boobs look bigger.

FlakeyFool
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I think your just upset he got a triple double.

td0tsfinest
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
there was 12 seconds left, he had to get it across half court right? He only passed the ball. The other guy is the one who took the shot attempt.

lol. Touche. That's very true. Ibaka should get some blame as well. :D

njnets04
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
he did nothing wrong, its a triple double, if anyone to blame its the hawks, they should play hard for all 48 mins, theyre paid millions upon miliions of dollars, they should play hard for their own pride.