PDA

View Full Version : New Rule: Point System

llemon
01-01-2011, 12:19 AM
The old CBA (the minors basketball league) tried an experiment some years ago where the winner of each quarter would get a point, and the winner of the game would get 4 points.

The playoff positions would be determined by the point system, as opposed to the current system.

NBA didn't go for it, and I can understand why they didn't.

But it certainly would have provided a more exciting game for the fans, keeping those fans in attendance much more interested, and would have had the players playing harder, as each quarter counted for a point.

I would love to see this system put into place because the NBA is all about the fans, isn't it?

HuRRiCaNeS324
01-01-2011, 12:28 AM
:guns: :faint:

210Don
01-01-2011, 12:34 AM
no.

CB29
01-01-2011, 12:37 AM
:badidea:

abe_froman
01-01-2011, 12:39 AM
if you can understand why the nba didnt like it than why are you bringing it up?

xabial
01-01-2011, 12:59 AM
if you can understand why the nba didnt like it than why are you bringing it up?

Maybe because he understands the nba is reluctant to change?

Cano4prez
01-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Pass.

goblazers7
01-01-2011, 01:15 AM
No

abe_froman
01-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Maybe because he understands the nba is reluctant to change?

is it?

i dunno how...but its stupid system anyways,so if thats the kind of change they are reluctant to than i endorse their no

SA5195
01-01-2011, 01:22 AM
No thanks

arkanian215
01-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Sounds a bit like volleyball/tennis.

llemon
01-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Okay. I believe it is truly something that would make the game much more interesting and riveting to NBA fans, but as the NBA rejected it, as do you few that responded, I guess it is a bad idea.

I understand why the NBA wouldn't want it.

But I'd truly like to hear some reasons why the fans would be opposed to the additional competitive situations.

Boston Fanatic
01-01-2011, 02:12 AM
i dont think its that horrible of an idea...i do however think that it wouldnt change too much, it would be interesting to see how the playoffs would have worked out over the last few years if this system was in place then we would know how much it would change\

i think ultimately the best change the nba could make is allowing the top 16 teams into the playoffs instead of discerning between east and west because the only real difference is that the west has more good teams

ChiTownPacerFan
01-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Doesn't matter if you like the idea or not, it will never happen. But damn, I miss the CBA. The Rockford Lightning had all sorts of great teams. We got to see Mike James, Bruce Bowen, Earl Boykins, Jamario Moon, Howard Eisley, Ronnie Fields, Chris Childs, and other good players. Those were good times.

TheHoopsProphet
01-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Screw these posters, I think its a fantastic idea. Accept players cant be rested with the game already decided, so perhaps just give a point to the team with the lead at the end of each quarter cumulatively.

barreleffact
01-01-2011, 05:33 AM
i dont think its that horrible of an idea...i do however think that it wouldnt change too much, it would be interesting to see how the playoffs would have worked out over the last few years if this system was in place then we would know how much it would change\

i think ultimately the best change the nba could make is allowing the top 16 teams into the playoffs instead of discerning between east and west because the only real difference is that the west has more good teams

that would be terrible. in truth, the east has just as many good teams and more contending teams. the biggest reason for the disparity is that each conference only plays the other conference 2 games per team. they play interconference 3-4 times. the east is stronger but with more contenders in the east its tougher to build a 50 win record.

John Walls Era
01-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Actually a fun idea. But no.

ChiTownPacerFan
01-01-2011, 06:32 AM
that would be terrible. in truth, the east has just as many good teams and more contending teams. the biggest reason for the disparity is that each conference only plays the other conference 2 games per team. they play interconference 3-4 times. the east is stronger but with more contenders in the east its tougher to build a 50 win record.

I'm kind of getting off topic, but come on, this is an egregious misstatement of facts. Both conferences have 5 or 6 contenders, the difference is the precipitous drop off in talent that occurs in the east.

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
It would certainly make the games more interesting. So often when there is a twenty point lead in the fourth quarter, both teams usually just give up. So making each quarter mean something in and of itself would be interesting.

Likewise, scoring like the NHL might be interesitng. Something along the lines of a win is two points, an OT win is worth 3, and a OT loss is worth 1 (not quit how the NHL does it, but it could be interesting).

I do think things are working the way they are, but it would be interesting to make each quarter mean something so that the level of competition remained high throughout the game, or perhaps make OT wins worth more, and OT losses mean something more than a regulation loss.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

NYKalltheway
01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Lol, I'd understand final score difference to be taken into account, but quarters?