PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Wesley Matthews ...

JordansBulls
12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
When Roy got injured I thought it was the end for the Blazers, but this guy Wesley Matthews seems to be able to play. What are your thoughts on him? Any way for him to eventually be close to Roy's level for the Blazers to compete?

knicks4life33
12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
able to play in the d leagueeee maybe lol he aint close to roys level and if u think that close this threadddddd ciao

CB29
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
all i know is that i'm very glad to have him on my fantasy team...

Flash3
12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
was just about to make a thread about him, he is spectacular.

ATX
12-31-2010, 01:33 PM
able to play in the d leagueeee maybe lol he aint close to roys level and if u think that close this threadddddd ciao

I'm not sure you've seen him play with that statement. I'm shocked actually. Anyways, he's that diamond in the rough type of player that every team hopes to draft. He's still young, only his 2nd season, and will continue to play smarter as he gains NBA experience. He's seized his opportunity and has played as a solid starter. He's no Roy, but very good yes. The Blazers are very lucky to have him.

kjoke
12-31-2010, 01:35 PM

:( i drafted him in the very late rounds, then dropped him right before roy was talking bout his knees :(

knicks4life33
12-31-2010, 01:36 PM
i was bein sarcasticccccc buddyyyyy !!!!! hes no where near roys level ok hop off

maddBat
12-31-2010, 01:39 PM

d league? the mans been killin ittt

knicks4life33
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
i was bein sarcasticccc i was tryin say he isnt on brandon roys level lol wow i gotta explain myself so many times

maddBat
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
i was bein sarcasticccc i was tryin say he isnt on brandon roys level lol wow i gotta explain myself so many times

hahaha my bad didnt c ur post til after i posted. yeaa def not on roys level. but every portland fan is happy as hell they overpaid 4 him.

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
He's deff got some hard floor swag to his game. That being said i think he can be a decent replacement for roy until he comes back, but i see his as a 6th man on any other team

Giraffes Rule
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
i was bein sarcasticccccc buddyyyyy !!!!! hes no where near roys level ok hop off

That's not sarcasm...

AIRMAR72
12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
wesley matthew can ball but comparing him to roy is not fair only time would tell

knicks4life33
12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
that was to some other poster who always wrote back to all my posts lol

zambo4president
12-31-2010, 02:02 PM
I've been a fan of Wesley Matthews for awhile, I thought it was a great signing actually when he got the MLE from Portland. Good to see him emerging now.

B.JenningsMVP
12-31-2010, 02:15 PM

co-sign..
but yea, he forreal.. i always thought he'd be a nice NBA player when he was in Marquette.

heattiltheend94
12-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Biggest sleeper IMO. I thought Portland was crazy when they gave him the MLE. Anyways, maybe in 3 or 4 years, he could catchup

Utahjazzfan18
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
He was one of my favorite players in Utah and even I thought he wasn't worth the offer Portland gave him. This summer I imagined him putting up slightly better numbers then last season. Man was I wrong....

val_modus
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM
The kid can play, hes improved his jumpshot from last year, can handle the rock, and has thunderous athletiscm, idk if he'll ever be at the level Roy was, but Portland got lucky with this guy... and being lucky is a word u dont normally assosiate with Portland

Blazers#1Fan
12-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Matthews not on Roys Level Maybe not how Roy can be a game changer compared to Matthews But skills wise wesley and Roy are on equal but they play a complete different style of play Roy needs the ball in his hands Matthews plays off the point! Roy has his own system wesley is a runner! DONT GET ME WRONG I MISS ROY PLAYING BUT WESLEY IS THE TRUTH GIVE HIM A FEW MORE SEASONS HE WILL BE A ALL STAR i just wish we had ROY AND WESLEY!

THIS IS WESLEY MATTHEWS 2nd season and since Roy has Sat Matthews Has put up Very Close To what roy did his 2nd season i actually think it might be better he scores 20+ everytime he plays except a few games he only plays 31MPG Roy played 37/+ on some givin nights! the good thing also about Wesley something roy isnt as good as wesley in! his DEFENSE! IT IS AMAZING!

I watch the blazers ritually everygame every minute(unless getting food,Drink,Bathroom)
anybody says we overpaid i LAUGH AT YOU! we paid just the right amount! jazz didnt get him and we did simple as that! we got a future star!
he can shoot,Drive,pass,hit the 3,Play great Defense

Blazers#1Fan
12-31-2010, 03:57 PM

YOU DONT WATCH THE BLAZERS OBVIOUSLY! i laugh at you knicks for life not because of what you said but your name is KNICKS4LIFE AND YOU GOT A PICTURE OF DWADE HAHAHAHAA

THATS LIKE A YANKEES FAN WITH A PICTURE OF TED WILLIAMS

Blazers#1Fan
12-31-2010, 04:00 PM
YOU DONT WATCH THE BLAZERS OBVIOUSLY! i laugh at you knicks for life not because of what you said but your name is KNICKS4LIFE AND YOU GOT A PICTURE OF DWADE HAHAHAHAA

THATS LIKE A YANKEES FAN WITH A PICTURE OF TED WILLIAMS

i retract that i took a 2nd look that is a funny *** picture

ManOnFire
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
he's aiiight. LoL

netsgiantsyanks
12-31-2010, 04:15 PM
that the nets should of signed him instead of travis ****ing outlaw. he's a good player nontheless

Rafer17
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure you've seen him play with that statement. I'm shocked actually. Anyways, he's that diamond in the rough type of player that every team hopes to draft. He's still young, only his 2nd season, and will continue to play smarter as he gains NBA experience. He's seized his opportunity and has played as a solid starter. He's no Roy, but very good yes. The Blazers are very lucky to have him.

And the weird thing is...this dude went undrafted :laugh2:

thekmp211
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
very surprising how well-rounded his game looks.

i've said it a couple times before in some other threads, but I really do think portland made the move to sign him with some knowledge of b.roy's longterm health situation.

at first, it seemed like matthews might be the guy to take rudy's place in the rotation, but rudy is still here and roy is probably done for the season (or should be, at least).

i think cho and the blazers knew what was coming with roy, and matthews was a great contingency plan.

hugepatsfan
12-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I wanted BOS to give him the full MLE in the offseason. I love his game. I was sold on him.

Sadds The Gr8
12-31-2010, 07:47 PM
he really surprisin me. I thought the contract he got was stupid as hell at first, but he shut me the hell up.

oldfishermen
12-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Here are the stats for Brandon Roy’s and Wesley Mathew’s second year in the NBA

.............Roy.......Mathews
PPG.......22.6.......15.6
A............5.1........1.5
Reb.........4.7........3.2
Steals......1.1.......1.25
FG%........480........460
3PT%.......377.......364
FT%.........824.......850

A comparison shows Roy had better stats than Mathews in their second year. However, for a player that was not drafted, Mathews is replacing a lot of the production that was lost from Roy’s injury..

Two side notes. Mathews plays much better defense that Roy. Also, the style of play that Mathews plays fits more of the Blazer’s roster than Roy’s game does.. Roy is an iso player. Mathews is a team chemistry player.

beasted86
12-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Matthews can't replace Roy, but he's still a very good player.

oldfishermen
12-31-2010, 10:17 PM
One stat I forgot to add, minutes per game.
Roy averaged 37 MPG in his second year. Mathews has only averaged 31 minutes per game this year.. If you project out equal MPG, there is not very much difference between Roy’s and Mathew’s second year stats.

dodie53
12-31-2010, 10:21 PM
he ain't going to be on par with roy's level

heathonater
12-31-2010, 10:46 PM
hes been really goos this year when he has started and got more minutes once roy missed games due to knee issues. hes a tough defender, and im surprised at how good he is from long range this year. he wont replace roy, but he's a nice player to have and it appears the blazers got matthews at a bargain.