PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy Considers Ending His Season

JordansBulls
12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/26733823

The Trail Blazers are involved in ongoing discussions aimed at determining how much longer Brandon Roy will have to rest his ailing knees. Among several options under consideration is shutting Roy down for the rest of the season in hopes he can restored to his previous All-Star status, two people with knowledge of the team's thinking told CBSSports.com.

“Unfortunately, Brandon Roy’s condition has not significantly improved and we’ve decided to hold him out indefinitely,” GM Rich Cho said in a statement. “In the short term, we’re going to proceed with an extended period of rest. Beyond that, we’re looking at all available treatment options to help better determine a course of action.”

Trading Roy, who signed a five-year, $82 million extension in August 2009, won't be an option until potential suitors gain some clarity about whether Roy will ever return to his previous form. Sources have told CBSSports.com that Roy has a separate, outside insurance policy on his knees that could protect the Blazers -- or his new team -- depending on the timing and extent of any disability.

After he repeatedly had his knees drained early in the season, Roy revealed in November that there is no meniscus left in either knee. The bone-on-bone condition is something Roy, 26, said he would have to "deal with for the rest of my career."

Gators123
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Sad. I don't see him having a very long NBA career.

WolvesJagsOs
12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Hope he does. Maze well try and rest it. POR aint doin bad without him.

kurivaimu
12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
I think they should shelve him for the season. Firstly, they aren't going anywhere this season with both Roy/Oden out and with Miller and Roy not playing well together.
Second, Roy in the condition of game-time-decision affects the team in a negative way. For example, it largely affect Wes Mathhews mindset. Obviously when Roy is playing, Wes has to operate in the background, but without Roy Wes is basically the main guy. The game-time-decision thing is a huge distraction for the team.

I feel very sorry for the Blazers fans. The injuries are just.... Hope for better times.

Tblaze
12-31-2010, 12:17 PM
I think they should shelve him for the season. Firstly, they aren't going anywhere this season with both Roy/Oden out and with Miller and Roy not playing well together.
Second, Roy in the condition of game-time-decision affects the team in a negative way. For example, it largely affect Wes Mathhews mindset. Obviously when Roy is playing, Wes has to operate in the background, but without Roy Wes is basically the main guy. The game-time-decision thing is a huge distraction for the team.

I feel very sorry for the Blazers fans. The injuries are just.... Hope for better times.

I agree, I think I'd rather shut him down and know what we're rolling with instead of having this uncertainty every night of not knowing whether he will play or not...

tangent12
12-31-2010, 12:23 PM
It's the right decision. He should've thought about this a while back though.

airforceones25
12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
how the mighty have fallen...

sad story. he was a player but unfortunately it will never be the same.

Raph12
12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Allen Houston 2.0

Hawkeye15
12-31-2010, 12:35 PM
They should just sit him, and figure out what the heck is wrong with that knee, exactly, and figure out how to treat it.

Becks2307
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
trade him. dead serious. he is only going to get worse, might as well cash in now. lol that oden draft pick just looks worse and worse.

knicks4life33
12-31-2010, 02:01 PM
imagine if roy was healthy and they selected durant and wit aldridge and that squad ffuggggggahboutitttttttttttttttttt

zambo4president
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Sit him. He has MVP candidate potential when healthy. Don't wanna take a chance at him really blowing out his knees.

B.JenningsMVP
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
SMH.. their training staff must suck ***!!!!
I mean looking back on this team like 2-3 years ago, they had so much potential.
I always thought they'd end up being the biggest threat to LA w/ Roy-Aldridge-Oden and w/ a great coach.
I was excited for this team.

dtmagnet
12-31-2010, 02:53 PM
He's done, this is never gonna get better. No more cartilage, if he keeps going he risks not being able to walk.

val_modus
12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
man... the curse of Juwan Howard continues

Phenomenonsense
12-31-2010, 03:02 PM
What don't people get about the fact that he has no meniscus. He's bone on bone now guys. He'll never get better. He should've taken the surgery that would keep him out for a long time rather than let the doc take out his ****. Poor guy, his career is already over and no one knows it.

THE MTL
12-31-2010, 03:29 PM
He has no meniscus in his knees and that wont change! His knees will always sore up and he'll need rest. There is no let Roy sit so he gets 100%. There is no 100% anymore. I feel bad for him

MJ-BULLS
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
he is doing the right decision. But he should've of done it way before.

ManOnFire
12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
its about time.

Baller1
12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Once again, another sad situation.

hgtiger32
12-31-2010, 03:55 PM
I mean looking back on this team like 2-3 years ago, they had so much potential.
I always thought they'd end up being the biggest threat to LA w/ Roy-Aldridge-Oden and w/ a great coach.

I feel the same way

IversonIsKrazy
12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Roy 4 Melo

ManOnFire
12-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Roy 4 Melo

Done!

thekmp211
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
trade him. dead serious. he is only going to get worse, might as well cash in now. lol that oden draft pick just looks worse and worse.

he is the most untradable player in the league. what team would acquire his contract when it's almost certain he will never return to that level as a player?

its a shame, roy was so ****ing fun to watch. at least he got his contract, made his money.

blastmasta26
12-31-2010, 10:43 PM
What don't people get about the fact that he has no meniscus. He's bone on bone now guys. He'll never get better. He should've taken the surgery that would keep him out for a long time rather than let the doc take out his ****. Poor guy, his career is already over and no one knows it.
Really sucks for Roy, already was a great player and had a promising future.

kblo247
12-31-2010, 10:57 PM

We have a winner.

Walton, Drexler, Pippen, Bonzi, Van Exel, Stoudemire, Sheed, Shareef, Theo, and Sabonis have all complained about that medical staff and fell or began to fall apart there. Now Oden and Roy have fallen completely apart.

xabial
12-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Portland doesnt deserve this. Oh well at least Roy gave them four good years.

Hustla23
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Whoa.

Is his career over or something?

I had no idea his knee situation was so bad.....

iCOOKiE MONSTER
12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Whoa.

Is his career over or something?

I had no idea his knee situation was so bad.....

Yea, he's knees are banged up really bad.
Ino he was in against my team(Okc), but I feel
Very bad for him.

God Bless You Roy
:(

godolphins
12-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Ouch, great talent too bad

blacknell
01-01-2011, 12:02 AM
man if he plays for to much longer he is going to be using a walker. That what he should be thinking about right now is having to live the rest of his life struggling to walk again.

SouthSideRookie
01-01-2011, 12:06 AM

X1000. He's done. I also don't understand why people haven't figured this out. Man this is so unfortunate for the Blazers franchise having all these players go down, as a Rockets' fan I can relate :(

Shortys4711
01-01-2011, 12:42 AM
so sad to see, The guy was awesome to watch, I couldnt imagine not being able to play ball anymore. Just sucks for him and the blazers

The Raven
01-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Seems as if he cant catch a break. A shame really

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-01-2011, 09:42 AM
He has no meniscus in his knees and that wont change! His knees will always sore up and he'll need rest. There is no let Roy sit so he gets 100%. There is no 100% anymore. I feel bad for him

this

Sir Buckets
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
What don't people get about the fact that he has no meniscus. He's bone on bone now guys. He'll never get better. He should've taken the surgery that would keep him out for a long time rather than let the doc take out his ****. Poor guy, his career is already over and no one knows it.So instead of just repairing the meniscus or whatever (and sitting out a longer time) he took the impatient route and got it completely removed, fully knowing the consequences, right? Few questions:

- he only had surgery recently on just 1 knee, correct? Why the sudden, huge dropoff then?

- this is like exactly what CP3 did too, right? So dumb. Soooo ****ing dumb. What did Roy have to come back to? A first or second round exit? And Paul, the Hornets didn't even make the playoffs. Like, these players effectively shortened their careers and long term health just so they could get back a.s.a.p. to meaningless seasons. It's borderline insanity.

chicagofan08
01-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Wow if this is true and no padding is left then Roy is really better off to hang it up. HIs legs may sustain ir-repairable damage long term if he keeps playing.

:(:(

dodie53
01-01-2011, 10:41 AM
so sad

ragee
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
So instead of just repairing the meniscus or whatever (and sitting out a longer time) he took the impatient route and got it completely removed, fully knowing the consequences, right? Few questions:

- he only had surgery recently on just 1 knee, correct? Why the sudden, huge dropoff then?

- this is like exactly what CP3 did too, right? So dumb. Soooo ****ing dumb. What did Roy have to come back to? A first or second round exit? And Paul, the Hornets didn't even make the playoffs. Like, these players effectively shortened their careers and long term health just so they could get back a.s.a.p. to meaningless seasons. It's borderline insanity.

Can someone please answer this guy's question... I really don't get what the hell happened...

pistonsfanomg
01-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Rip for Brandon Roy

Kakaroach
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Man that freaking sucks, tough time for Blazers fans. And to think they still beat us twice in one week.

CaptainHay
01-01-2011, 11:18 PM
The thing is, Brandon Roy is a good player when healthy, but the reason he was not picked in the top 3# overall picks in the depressing 2006 draft, is because he just isn't built to take a hit. So many good draft picks these last 5 years in Roy, Aldridge, Oden. But all 3 of em have problems.

kblo247
01-01-2011, 11:48 PM
So instead of just repairing the meniscus or whatever (and sitting out a longer time) he took the impatient route and got it completely removed, fully knowing the consequences, right? Few questions:

3 Scenarios and 3 Similar Injuries

Brandon had his meniscus removed to try and play in the first round. The Portland staff signed off on it and let him play with no rehab or nothing. They both share in the stupidity of the situation at hand, which isn't shocking as Portland's medical staff has a history of being piss poor and inept by accounts of their former players. Back to Brandon, he had a history of knee problems before coming into the draft and has never made it through a full season so he clearly shouldn't have been allowed to take the quick and what seemed like easy route out.

Paul had his meniscus removed last year. Yes it is true that he returned toward the end of the year, but he took the time after the surgery to rehab it. This summer he spent his time with Tim Grover and another trainer specifically working on strengthening his leg and training it. Much like roy, he has never made it through a full NBA season, and he too opted to have the meniscus removed but he put in the time, effort, and work to at least not place himself at as high of a risk of being unable to play because he hired trainers to get him where he needed to be. He also adapted his playing style to fit his limitations.

Bynum went under the knife this summer as well and was given the option of remove the meniscus or keep it. His doctor and he chose to repair his meniscus. His return time was extended from what everyone on the Lakers expected and the team suffered in the interim. However he has gotten better and has said that his knee is pain and swelling free.

JordansBulls
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Would anyone trade for him now?

S-Dot
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
The luck for this franchise continues to get worse. We already know the MJ-Drexler situation back in '84 with the draft. It was similar with Durant and Roy in '07. But Roy needs to consider his health for the long run. Hopefully the franchise can continue to try and bounce back.

FlakeyFool
01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Gunna be hard to bounce back with that contract they gave him.