PDA

View Full Version : Would you hope for injury upon opposing players so your team can win a championship?

boozdawg
12-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Example, if you were playing LeBron James and the Heat, would you wish an injury upon LeBron if it guaranteed your team a title?

Would the title not have as much merit? Would you not want to wish injury (whether it be a minor ankle sprain or a torn ACL) upon a player? I want opinions here.

I'd wish something to win a title. Winning a title would rule.

ATX
12-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I would prefer to win against a team at full strength. So no, I would not hope injury on a team. That being said, injury's are a big part of the game, and would celebrate the championship just the same.

kjoke
12-30-2010, 03:36 PM
nah

Hustlenomics
12-30-2010, 03:39 PM
no but 'sure Laker fans were happy when Perkins went down though

ink
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I would prefer to win against a team at full strength. So no, I would not hope injury on a team. That being said, injury's are a big part of the game, and would celebrate the championship just the same.

This.

llemon
12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Absolutely.

Jonathan2323
12-30-2010, 03:46 PM
No

TylerSL
no way, if we win a title against whoever comes out of the West with an injured team I will still be happy. That being said I wouldnt be near as happy if we dont win when they are at full strength.

what54!?
No. I rather my team beat every other team at full strength so that way there are no excuses

ink
12-30-2010, 03:48 PM
No. I rather my team beat every other team at full strength so that way there are no excuses

And this.

Flash3
12-30-2010, 03:50 PM
no.

BALLER71
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Hell no. I'm not a Lakers fan

TO Rapz
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I dont really care. **** happens, if they get injured so be it. Their problem if my team wins the championship then they win it, i dont care how they do they re the champions. I kind of dont have much experience with topics regarding win it all cuz I live in Toronto. :facepalm:

tdunk21
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
even if the opponents team plays at full strength and looses the game, the fans come up with excuses such as refs are real bad, NBA is rigged and stuff....

dnewguy
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM
YES....I will fast and pray to see all of them injured. Dammit, i'll rather face d league talents in the finals..........no one remembers who wasn't playing or who was hurt when you win the championship. No one remembers that the Lakers played against a hurt Garnett and Perkins, all they remember is the championship. No one remembers that Miami was up 3-2 on the Pistons in 05 before Wade got hurt...all they remember was Pistons in the finals. Who cares, I want the championship, no matter how.

PhillyFaninLA
12-30-2010, 04:04 PM
A good human being does not wish harm on another under any circumstance. Wishing injury is horrible and says everything about the kind of person you are.

So no I would never wish injury on any person ever. If my team is good enough, gritty enough, and lucky enough they'll win without me wishing harm on anyone. Besides I'd rather beat a healthy team playing there best.

JordansBulls
12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I think it really depends.

If I am a team like Boston, Orlando or Miami then no way because I want to beat those teams at full strength since we are all elite. But if I am a team like the Bulls then probably yes because realistically that is the only way we probably can beat 2 of 3 of those teams.

llemon
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
A good human being does not wish harm on another under any circumstance. Wishing injury is horrible and says everything about the kind of person you are.

Good human beings wish harm on people all the time. Just look around you.

Hawkeye15
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM

bingo

Hustlenomics
12-30-2010, 04:09 PM
YES....I will fast and pray to see all of them injured. Dammit, i'll rather face d league talents in the finals..........no one remembers who wasn't playing or who was hurt when you win the championship. No one remembers that the Lakers played against a hurt Garnett and Perkins, all they remember is the championship. No one remembers that Miami was up 3-2 on the Pistons in 05 before Wade got hurt...all they remember was Pistons in the finals. Who cares, I want the championship, no matter how.

lol damn dude ..you need a role model

PhillyFaninLA
12-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Good human beings wish harm on people all the time. Just look around you.

No a good person doesn't. Once you wish harm (ok maybe on a rapist or murder there is an exception) you are no longer a good person. Its that simple.

llemon
12-30-2010, 04:12 PM

You hit the nail on the head, my fellow poster.

BeantownBill
i would prefer to win against a team at full strength. So no, i would not hope injury on a team. That being said, injury's are a big part of the game, and would celebrate the championship just the same.

+1

KingPosey
not really, i like beating a team with no excuses for them. And definitely not a bad injury. Maybe like some jammed fingers or something.

ManOnFire
12-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Normally I'd say no....but I'll admit, seeing KG go down brought a smile to my face.

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-30-2010, 04:17 PM
The Pistons still count there championship in '89 when Magic and Byron Scott did not play one game. The Celtics still hung number 18 when Bynum and Ariza did not play in 08. The Lakers still have rings from 88 when Thomas sprained his ankle. $h1t happens. Do you hope it happens. No. But it does not make it any less sweeter

ink
12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I think it really depends.

If I am a team like Boston, Orlando or Miami then no way because I want to beat those teams at full strength since we are all elite. But if I am a team like the Bulls then probably yes because realistically that is the only way we probably can beat 2 of 3 of those teams.

Honest answer. Respect.

ink
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
The Pistons still count there championship in '89 when Magic and Byron Scott did not play one game. The Celtics still hung number 18 when Bynum and Ariza did not play in 08. The Lakers still have rings from 88 when Thomas sprained his ankle. $h1t happens. Do you hope it happens. No. But it does not make it any less sweeter

The Spurs also count their title the year Nash had his nose broken in a critical game and couldn't play the end of a close game that could have swayed the series and sent probably the best Suns team to the finals. I doubt anyone wanted that to happen but the Spurs did benefit. [I won't even get into Stat and Diaw being suspended that series].

sep11ie
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Im pretty sure I have before.

SteBO
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
:pity: Shame on those posters who would wish injury on other players to win titles. :mad: Where's your pride guys, seriously? First of all, wishing it on other players so you can win just proves your cowardice and shows that you're afraid. Then if you do win, it just gives the opposition oppurtunities to give lame excuses as to why they lost. Wouldn't you want to win fair and square without these silly excuses? Because I know I sure do. As a Miami Heat fan, I want to beat the Celtics not just the last two times in the regular season, but also in the playoffs. But it means close to nothing to me in eyes if Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo aren't playing at 100%. I know you'd hate asterisks * put next to every win because something did or didn't occur, therefore downplaying your teams' accomplishment.

Second of all, it's just wrong and completely classless. You'd hate this if it was against your team, so give the same respect to the other players and teams. Championships are still sweet regardless, since **** happens, but still. As you read this post, I'm sure you know the answer to this thread question. HELL 2 THE NO!

kArSoN RyDaH
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM

And I'm sure Celtics fans were happy when Bynum didn't play in the 08 finals :rolleyes:

It goes both ways.

boozdawg
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I guess what I wish upon Lebron is for personal reasons, not to win. I'd like the bulls to beat the heat with a full roster because i know they could and it would be more sweet, but I would also like Lebron to get hurt for personal reasons... I guess you can't have it both way.

Hustlenomics
12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
And I'm sure Celtics fans were happy when Bynum didn't play in the 08 finals :rolleyes:

It goes both ways.

i'm sure he would have stopped a 40 point blowout in game 6

Bruno
12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Hell no. I'm not a Lakers fan

haha, because the Lakers were at full strength when they lost to Boston in 2008, right?

Neither team has lost against the other while at full strength.

ChrisRock93
12-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Absolutely.

Bruno
12-30-2010, 06:38 PM
i'm sure he would have stopped a 40 point blowout in game 6

What about six point losses in games two and four?

Ariza was just getting over an injury as well and was a non-factor.

DieHardCubFan
12-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I would pray that LeBron falls out of a third story window even if the bulls were not guaranteed a championship.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
12-30-2010, 07:08 PM

:facepalm: Lame.

lol damn dude ..you need a role model

:clap: co-sign

:pity: Shame on those posters who would wish injury on other players to win titles. :mad: Where's your pride guys, seriously? First of all, wishing it on other players so you can win just proves your cowardice and shows that you're afraid. Then if you do win, it just gives the opposition oppurtunities to give lame excuses as to why they lost. Wouldn't you want to win fair and square without these silly excuses? Because I know I sure do. As a Miami Heat fan, I want to beat the Celtics not just the last two times in the regular season, but also in the playoffs. But it means close to nothing to me in eyes if Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo aren't playing at 100%. I know you'd hate asterisks * put next to every win because something did or didn't occur, therefore downplaying your teams' accomplishment.

Second of all, it's just wrong and completely classless. You'd hate this if it was against your team, so give the same respect to the other players and teams. Championships are still sweet regardless, since **** happens, but still. As you read this post, I'm sure you know the answer to this thread question. HELL 2 THE NO!

:clap: also co-sign

however, I wouldnt have minded if it was Gasol instead of Perkins last year. :cool:

OnslaughtXX6
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I would pray that LeBron falls out of a third story window even if the bulls were not guaranteed a championship.

You are one classy individual my friend, I solute you.

John Walls Era
12-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm going to be completely honest: Yes. It doesn't matter how you win, as long as you win. This is probably because none of my teams ever win :(

kobe24>lebron23
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Idiot so Boston was happy when bynum wasnt playing in 08??

Back to the topic no i woudlnt wish injury on anybody but i wouldnt be opposed to it if
it made the road to the championship easier

John Walls Era
12-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Idiot so Boston was happy when bynum wasnt playing in 08??

Back to the topic no i woudlnt wish injury on anybody but i wouldnt be opposed to it if
it made the road to the championship easier

Kind of different. Bynum was out all year. Theres a difference between being relieved that you don't have to face a player that wasn't healthy all year vs. being happy when a player suddenly gets hurt during the series.

llemon
12-30-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm going to be completely honest: Yes. It doesn't matter how you win, as long as you win. This is probably because none of my teams ever win :(

I've had teams win due to injuries, and I've had teams lose because of injuries.

The winning was better.

ATX
12-30-2010, 07:24 PM

This is a truly horrible post. Would you feel this same awful way if LeBron had chosen to go to Chicago rather than Miami on July 8th? Think about it.

John Walls Era
12-30-2010, 07:27 PM
I've had teams win due to injuries, and I've had teams lose because of injuries.

The winning was better.

Winning is all that matters. Look at the Lakers for example: In 2009, Yao got hurt and they barely beat the Rockets. In 2010 Perkins got hurt and they barely beat the Celtics. No one is going to remember this in 2 years.

John Walls Era
12-30-2010, 07:28 PM

I still don't think that helps their chances by much.

kobebabe
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I guess we should re-name this thread why boston lost in 2009 and lakers in 2008!
Answer the damn qsn and don't try to whine

Back to the qsn: I honestly would not wish injury on anyone. I would rather win against a team that is 100% healthy

llemon
12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Winning is all that matters. Look at the Lakers for example: In 2009, Yao got hurt and they barely beat the Rockets. In 2010 Perkins got hurt and they barely beat the Celtics. No one is going to remember this in 2 years.

I've been following the NBA for 48 years. There have been SO MANY playoff series and playoff outcomes that have been determined by injuries.

Nobody remembers 91.4% of them.

BRADfromOZ
12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
absolutely.
+1

MiamiWadeCounty
12-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I've been following the NBA for 48 years. There have been SO MANY playoff series and playoff outcomes that have been determined by injuries.

Nobody remembers 91.4% of them.

yep i got that same number after doing advanced calculus

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-30-2010, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't HOPE for an injury because that asinine and completely messed up. But if it happens it happens and it wouldn't even cross my mind if we win as a result of it.

When the Heat won in 06, both teams were healthy and it was a great Finals and win for us. Im sure the Lakers felt the same when they won last year with Perkins injured.

Heater4life
12-30-2010, 07:52 PM
I dont wish them upon any player and would like for all teams to be healthy. Injuries happen though, so thats inevitable, if my team uses it as an advantage so be it. I just wouldnt wish it on any team.

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Only if I have money riding on the game. Then, I'm hiring somebody to snap LeBron's kneecaps outside the stadium.

stawka
12-31-2010, 01:07 AM

Is the sky green for you every day?!

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2010, 01:42 AM
If it's the only way we could win, then yes.

But not big enough of an injury to affect their career. Just an injury to slow them down enough for my team to win.

Storch
12-31-2010, 02:04 AM
There's a lot of hate in this thread, but I guess that correlates to the amount of people that want people to get injured. :shrug:

I want the best team to play the best team in the playoffs, healthy.

shep33
12-31-2010, 02:10 AM

Nobody remembers that the Lakers played with a hurt Kobe and Bynum on 1 leg for the entire series.

Anyways... of course you want the best players playing

pd1dish
12-31-2010, 02:38 AM
i feel like i wouldnt wish injury upon another player, but when im in the moment of a game, i know for a fact i have wished injury upon a player. like when paul pierce got carried off the court, i can admit that i was happy.

EDIT: everyone saying that they have never wished injury upon a player is somewhat lying. they may not have directly wished it, but when a star player goes down before your team plays them or during the game, you have a sense of relief and happiness that you dont have to worry about that player anymore.

if somehow the bulls made it to the finals against the lakers and kobe went down, id have a huge sigh of relief knowing that the bulls have a much better chance at winning.

MacFitz92
12-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Injuries can ruin players' careers, is this a serious question?

Mochalman
12-31-2010, 03:09 AM
why would i wish an injury on someone else? thats just messed up. plus, it would place a big ol * next to it by every sports fan out there.

MacFitz92
12-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Wow, I've read some of the comments. Pretty embarrassing. If it is the only way to win? This isn't ****ing WWII, this is professional basketball, and players' can ruin their careers with serious injuries.

Injuries are a part of the game unfortunately. If anyone hopes for an injury they are either:
1) Sick.
2) Immature and have no idea what they are talking about.
3) Think they are a hardass for wanting to win no matter what the costs are, and need to wakeup.