PDA

View Full Version : Make the regular season count

NYKalltheway
12-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Over here in Europe, in some leagues of various sports where there's lack of interest prior to the playoffs, the federations have decided to make the regular season count more. What does that mean and how is it effected?

Simple.
Regular season VS record follows the teams in the playoffs.

For the NBA, it's hard since same conference teams play many times and not just 2 against each other.
This can either be achieved by reducing playoff teams and/or making the games Best of 9. That way, the #1 seed would face the #8 seed. Record might be 4-0 for #1 seed. So it would take a 5th win for the #1 seed to qualify and not a default. I don't really like this tbf, but it's still something that will make the regular season more competitive.

The best way imo, is to reduce the regular season and keep the playoffs as they are. Conference finals or just the NBA finals would start from 0-0. By having each team play once at home and once away against eachother, it will force any team to give its hardest and it would also avoid the back-to-back games, so fatigue will not matter that much and teams will have more training sessions to talk strategy and improve their game, rather than play 3-4 times a week without having a breather!

So #1 vs #8 would start with a 2-0 handicap for #1 in most cases. Of course, this could be bad for the #8 seed team, but on other situations, we might have the #6 seed having a 2-0 record vs the #3 seed.
Also, teams should play one game home and one away in playoffs, not 2 games in a row at home etc.

This might not be the best idea out there for the NBA, where people just live for the playoffs, with 7 games at most, but I see more 1-1 situations than 2-0 situations in a reduced regular season. A win away would give every team a major advantage, and a loss at home would be destructive to the home team.

So teams will play their 110% in a regular season of 58 games. Of course, this could actually be effective on its own. No need to carry your VS record in a 58games long season. But carrying your record, given that 16 teams can make the playoffs will cause at least 12 teams out of 15 from each conference to play their hearts out vs each other because they might meet them in the playoffs. I can't calculate the effect it will have on already losing teams, but it will honestly improve the games in the regular season.

Kyle N.
12-30-2010, 07:16 AM
in some leagues of various sports where there's lack of interest prior to the playoffs

Well those people aren't real fans then.

Hellcrooner
12-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Over here in Europe, in some leagues of various sports where there's lack of interest prior to the playoffs, the federations have decided to make the regular season count more. What does that mean and how is it effected?

Simple.
Regular season VS record follows the teams in the playoffs.

For the NBA, it's hard since same conference teams play many times and not just 2 against each other.
This can either be achieved by reducing playoff teams and/or making the games Best of 9. That way, the #1 seed would face the #8 seed. Record might be 4-0 for #1 seed. So it would take a 5th win for the #1 seed to qualify and not a default. I don't really like this tbf, but it's still something that will make the regular season more competitive.

The best way imo, is to reduce the regular season and keep the playoffs as they are. Conference finals or just the NBA finals would start from 0-0. By having each team play once at home and once away against eachother, it will force any team to give its hardest and it would also avoid the back-to-back games, so fatigue will not matter that much and teams will have more training sessions to talk strategy and improve their game, rather than play 3-4 times a week without having a breather!

So #1 vs #8 would start with a 2-0 handicap for #1 in most cases. Of course, this could be bad for the #8 seed team, but on other situations, we might have the #6 seed having a 2-0 record vs the #3 seed.
Also, teams should play one game home and one away in playoffs, not 2 games in a row at home etc.

This might not be the best idea out there for the NBA, where people just live for the playoffs, with 7 games at most, but I see more 1-1 situations than 2-0 situations in a reduced regular season. A win away would give every team a major advantage, and a loss at home would be destructive to the home team.

So teams will play their 110% in a regular season of 58 games. Of course, this could actually be effective on its own. No need to carry your VS record in a 58games long season. But carrying your record, given that 16 teams can make the playoffs will cause at least 12 teams out of 15 from each conference to play their hearts out vs each other because they might meet them in the playoffs. I can't calculate the effect it will have on already losing teams, but it will honestly improve the games in the regular season.

nah, just make every team play 2 times against each other (58 regular season games)

top seeds in each conference are spared from round one then the teams that get the records third to 12 regardless of conference battle in the first round to join those two in second round.

NYKalltheway
12-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Well those people aren't real fans then.

Well, sports other than soccer doesn't attract many fans with some exceptions. Most clubs are involved in every sport, so the fans are loyal to their clubs, not the sports, and not all of them has the capacity and funds to attend all games in all sports...

Hellcrooner, I think 58 games is ideal, as long as there are 2 games per week and no back-to-backs or in a space of 2 days. But a 58 long season might mean that a team with record 25-33 can make the playoffs. And that would also mean that a team with 42-16 would not actually care about playing against those teams. If they have the potential to get in an advantageous position over any conference team in the playoffs, the teams would play their best. The thing about the NBA's regular season is that teams seem to fool around in some games while they give their best in some other games.
I find it odd that teams are okay with defeat in the NBA. As my favorite Greek player said a couple of days ago "we hate defeat". And that's my attitude as well. I can't stand losing, even if I am the worse and playing against the best. I think everyone likes to win and it's not possible to win every game, but I rather play to win in every game than tank a few because there was no chance of winning anyway...

Also, to get this further on some people. Recently there was a thread about the Bulls vs Knicks and how the fact that the Knicks beat the Bulls twice means nothing. Well, if the Knicks face the Bulls in the post season, they should get some advantage over them if the record ends up 3-1 or 4-0 till then, isn't that sensible? And that applies to every regular season encounter that could be a playoff encounter.

Why have a worthless regular season?