PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Young" Teams

Sixerlover
12-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I was thinking about this when on the Sixer forum and I just need an answer because I can't think of any..

In the Free Agency era, has any young squad been created from the ground up players from PG - C all young (20-23 years old each) grew together and eventually became serious contenders for a title, while all staying on that team?

I know when we talk about teams that need to rebuild the online fans motto is A. Trade the vets, B. Get draft picks, C. Watch the pups develop. But has that ever turned into a championship or close to it while the entire group of young players stays on the roster?

(Appreciate entertaining my random thoughts :D)

Weeks
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
The Thunder are pretty damn close.

Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Green, Ibaka, Aldrich

All draftees and all young.

Technically no since Nenad Kristic is there starting Center, but if Ibaka or Aldrich ends up starting and they win a title or two than yes,

Sly Guy
12-29-2010, 06:55 PM
atlanta is another. Dunno if you'd call them contenders, but they are/were a pretty strong team.

SteveNash
12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I was thinking about this when on the Sixer forum and I just need an answer because I can't think of any..

In the Free Agency era, has any young squad been created from the ground up players from PG - C all young (20-23 years old each) grew together and eventually became serious contenders for a title, while all staying on that team?

I know when we talk about teams that need to rebuild the online fans motto is A. Trade the vets, B. Get draft picks, C. Watch the pups develop. But has that ever turned into a championship or close to it while the entire group of young players stays on the roster?

(Appreciate entertaining my random thoughts :D)

Nope, though keep in mind that most players in the past stayed in college so they were already 21/22 when they came into the league. Hard to build a contending team in only two back to back draft classes.

llemon
12-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Other than the Russell/Celtic teams, I'd guess Spurs have come the closest.

jasonbird
12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
The Thunder are pretty damn close.

Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Green, Ibaka, Aldrich

All draftees and all young.

Technically no since Nenad Kristic is there starting Center, but if Ibaka or Aldrich ends up starting and they win a title or two than yes,

THats a horrible team....
AVE age is 23yrs..

Oh god,kill me...

soonabooma
12-30-2010, 02:08 AM
True, we've drafted some really special players, but I think in the end....Thabo Sefolosha will be every bit as instrumental in our success as anybody else. He's basically our version of what Bruce Bowen was for San Antonio. That was just a hell of a move on Prestis part, Sef was relatively unknown but I'm sure glad Presti saw something in him because he is one of the elite defenders in the league, and those are pretty hard to come by.