PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Griz give up on Mayo and go to Henry?

boozdawg
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
IMO, OJ Mayo has more potential than Xavier Henry. I think it's pretty dumb that they basically gave up on Mayo and went to Henry. Sure, Mayo had a slow start, but you can see the potential this guy has. Just a dumb move IMO.

Sadds The Gr8
12-29-2010, 02:07 PM
henry is way younger, will cost less, and takes the ball away from Gay less and can be used as a spot up shooter.

Shamar81
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Because there stupid thats y

Rivera
12-29-2010, 02:22 PM
mayo does have a lot of attention and hes been a name that certain people have heard of for the longest time already...for some reason people have this misconception that OJ Mayo is a great great player....yes he can shoot dribble take the ball to the basket and he has good vision...he has all the tools to be a really really good NBA player to great...but he continues to take bad shots and play no D....when u take bad shots and play no D ur gonna get benched....his usgage rate is higher than last year but yet hes averaging less points and assist...the best comparison ive heard for OJ is ben gordon...these two are essentially the same player...i love benito G hes actually a cold hearted killer he has ice in his vains....but hes a scorer and thats it he doesnt defend well like mayo

mayo has every attribute to be a star in this league...he just isnt using them

Klivlend
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Cause they're going to trade Mayo. Why develop someone who will be gone it matter of weeks?

b_russ
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Henry's a better fit with what they're trying to do. I hope Mayo makes the best of the situation if/when he's traded.

b_russ
12-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Cause they're going to trade Mayo. Why develop someone who will be gone it matter of weeks?

To raise his trade value. Starter to bench doesn't exactly help raise his stock. Although, given the Grizzlies situation, he's better suited as the go-to scorer off the bench then with playing with Gay.

JOSKOMANG4
12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
J.Thompson & J.Taylor to the Grizzles for Mayo & 2011 2nd rd pick!

- Grizzles get the frontcourt help; also an eventual replacement for Randolph after season's end. Not to mention Jermaine Taylor, combo guard, isn't too shabby

- kings get a dream high-potential backcourt with Mayo & Evans!

Southsideheat
12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
mayo does have a lot of attention and hes been a name that certain people have heard of for the longest time already...for some reason people have this misconception that OJ Mayo is a great great player....yes he can shoot dribble take the ball to the basket and he has good vision...he has all the tools to be a really really good NBA player to great...but he continues to take bad shots and play no D....when u take bad shots and play no D ur gonna get benched....his usgage rate is higher than last year but yet hes averaging less points and assist...the best comparison ive heard for OJ is ben gordon...these two are essentially the same player...i love benito G hes actually a cold hearted killer he has ice in his vains....but hes a scorer and thats it he doesnt defend well like mayo

mayo has every attribute to be a star in this league...he just isnt using them

tell Bulls fans this.

S-Dot
12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
OJ Mayo has always been in the spotlight since the kid was like 14 years old. He was highlighted to be the next big thing, and went to USC...pretty much Hollywood for college

1. The grizzlies just feel that they are going to trade him in it's time to go another direction.
2. They grizz feel he's gonna leave them anyways to join a bigger market.

m26555
12-29-2010, 02:46 PM

- Grizzles get the frontcourt help; also an eventual replacement for Randolph after season's end. Not to mention Jermaine Taylor, combo guard, isn't too shabby

I can't see those two meshing well at all.

YoungOne
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
they had the worst bench in the nba, so they hope mayo will boost them from the bench and hope he can make a "jason terry" or jamal crawford" role

BoognishMN
12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Mayo is overrated, the one good move McHale ever made was trading Mayo and a bunch of bad contracts to the Grizz for K-Love and spare change. At best he's a Ben Gordon type player.

Lake_Show2416
12-29-2010, 03:42 PM

Haha 2 pieces of trash for Mayo hahaha.. On top of that a 2nd round pick

Way to keep dreaming

MJ-BULLS
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
one of the reasons why I think they are starting Henry over Mayo is, they rather have Henry then Mayo because it will cost less. The fact that they are in a small-market city.

airforceones25
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
they had the worst bench in the nba, so they hope mayo will boost them from the bench and hope he can make a "jason terry" or jamal crawford" role

this...

they asked him to come off the bench to provide scoring. its a strategic move. that is all

abe_froman
12-29-2010, 03:49 PM
not sure,better fit i guess

jtsunami
12-29-2010, 03:49 PM

One of the more realistic scenarios.

kjoke
12-29-2010, 03:52 PM
oj reminds me of larry hughes, dont know why

Southsideheat
12-29-2010, 04:19 PM

agreed.

xabial
12-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I read somewhere the grizzlies think Mayo doesnt focus enough on the defensive end, and i really cant blame him. He's a 6'4 undersized SG, Like a Ben Gordon.

Chi StateOfMind
12-29-2010, 05:35 PM

i agree so much ima repeat it BECAUSE THERE STUPID THATS Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks shamar81

Dade County
12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
one of the reasons why I think they are starting Henry over Mayo is, they rather have Henry then Mayo because it will cost less. The fact that they are in a small-market city.

Ask yourself, are the Griz trying to position them self's to compete for a title...
Because I hope you are not right about this small market thing, and they just wanted to help their bench.

boolish
12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
if you could win titles based on youtube highlight mix tapes, Mayo would have as many rings as MJ.

blastmasta26
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I read somewhere the grizzlies think Mayo doesnt focus enough on the defensive end, and i really cant blame him. He's a 6'4 undersized SG, Like a Ben Gordon.
Well, D-Wade is 6'4" as well. His height is not the reason he doesn't play D.

CityofChaos
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Watch Grizzlies games and you'll understand why. Mayo plays no defense and continues to take bad shots on a team who already has Rudy Gay gunning.

Hes reminds of a Jamal Crawford type player thats more athletic and who can provide instant offense and energy off the bench.

You HAVE to play defense in this league to gain any respect from the coaches.....unless your the Warriors or TWolves

Klivlend
12-29-2010, 08:34 PM
To raise his trade value. Starter to bench doesn't exactly help raise his stock. Although, given the Grizzlies situation, he's better suited as the go-to scorer off the bench then with playing with Gay.

Ya, I see your point. But people already know what he is capable of. If you plan on trading him, may as well begin developing his replacement now.

Bulls_fan90
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
$$$$ Mayo will need to be payed soon.

mzgrizz
12-29-2010, 11:17 PM
this...

they asked him to come off the bench to provide scoring. its a strategic move. that is all

that would be correct,sir

IversonIsKrazy
12-30-2010, 01:46 AM
I wanna see Rose/Mayo backcourt...

hgtiger32
12-30-2010, 02:21 AM

x2

Hellcrooner
12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
there werent enough basketballs for him, gay and randolph to shoot around, and then conley let his new contract raise to his head and started bricking too so there defiently was no room for one of them.

as a matter of fact they shoudl get rid of every played not named conley or Gasol and start from there, otherwise they are not winning anything anytime soon,

HakeemTheDream
12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
1. Henry plays better defense. It's common to see defenders start and have the bad defender but better offensive player come off the bench as a spark and lead the 2nd unit. Crawford, Ginobili, Maggette, Terry, Odom... it's a common strategy used by coaches.
2. Mayo has been playing horrible so he lost his spot. Players shouldn't just get the start because of their name, it should be earned/performance based.

adidas2307
12-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

And I dunno, Mayo still starts in My Player mode in NBA 2K11. :shrug:

Like stated before, defense.

AI4MVP
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Three years til the Wolves face off against the Heat for the Championship

NYKnicks4511
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Henry is lefty, fits into what Memphis is trying to do, D's up nice as well. You talk about Conley and Henry at the guard spots with a shot blocker like Gasol in the middle, as Henry develops more that could be a good defensive team.

CityofTreez
12-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Three years til the Wolves face off against the Heat for the Championship

naah

pebloemer
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
1. Henry plays better defense. It's common to see defenders start and have the bad defender but better offensive player come off the bench as a spark and lead the 2nd unit. Crawford, Ginobili, Maggette, Terry, Odom... it's a common strategy used by coaches.
2. Mayo has been playing horrible so he lost his spot. Players shouldn't just get the start because of their name, it should be earned/performance based.

this

thekmp211
12-31-2010, 05:42 PM
henry is a very talented prospect in his own right...mayo is still running off the reputation he gained during his years in hs/college.

mayo could use a change of scenery, and a kick in the ***.

Chronz
01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
this...

I dont call limiting his minutes to below 30mpg strategic

xabial
01-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Well, D-Wade is 6'4" as well. His height is not the reason he doesn't play D.

Dont you find it unfair your comparing Mayo to Dwade? A normal nba player whose undersized will struggle defensively. Mayo's 6'4. Thats a bit undersized for the sg position.

homestarunner93
01-01-2011, 02:32 AM

The irony here is astounding.

lilojmayo
01-03-2011, 04:24 AM
henry is a very talented prospect in his own right...mayo is still running off the reputation he gained during his years in hs/college.

mayo could use a change of scenery, and a kick in the ***.

For the posters on ****** that think Memphis has OJ Mayo coming off the bench because they don't think he is good enough to start should have watched this game. Tony Allen working hard on defense while letting the others score, then bringing Mayo in off the bench to keep momentum going looks like a solid strategy to me.

That's what a fan said, that watched the game. OJ Mayo is a premier potential to be a star in the league. As a fan of his, do I like the fact that he is coming off the bench killing his value,stats, while stiil being on an average team at best and while being a possibly 20-25 ppg right now. Of course not.

However, there is method to the madness, even though I don't agree with it. simple if you watch the Grizzlies blow out the Lakers you would have seen why. 1st unit already has scorers in Rudy Gay, Z-bo. Rudy has been paid max dollars, so of he is going to start, Z-bo same thing. Then they bring in Mayo in the 2nd unit who is always by far the best player in the 2nd unit, to keep it with the scoring and don't blow the lead. The last 11 games he is averaging 17 ppg coming off the bench. He said he has been studying a lot of Manu Ginobili film on how he did in it the past.

OJ is a premier potential, and when he gets his chance to finally shine with touches and plays, starts,( hopefully with Rose's Bulls, or Knicks, or even Twolves) the all-star numbers/appearances will follow. Until then all he can do is embrace his 6th man role to the fullest, and wait for his number to be called ( via trade or starter injury) and showcase his talents when that time comes

and OJ isn't like Larry Hughes, Dwyane Wade, or whatever other name I saw. His skilset is similar to Brandon Roy's, but with a higher ceiling and even that's being generous for the type of player OJ can become

Team*Chicago
01-03-2011, 04:38 AM
Haha 2 pieces of trash for Mayo hahaha.. On top of that a 2nd round pick

Way to keep dreaming

:eyebrow: The Lakers were able pull something off that was x10 worse than that to aquire Pau Gasol from Grizzlies which was the same exactly team. So it's a reality not a dream.

mzgrizz
01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
:eyebrow: The Lakers were able pull something off that was x10 worse than that to aquire Pau Gasol from Grizzlies which was the same exactly team. So it's a reality not a dream.

This has been rehashed a zillion times in this forum and I believe that in reality, Pau turned into ZBo and Marc. We are a better team without just him. They never built a team around Pau and he fit seamlessly into the Laker fold. However last night was a dream come true for this Grizzlies fan........still smiling over that *** kicking!

Giantwarrior
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
its hard to put Gay and Mayo on the floor together because they both need the ball to be effective. Mayo is better off coming of the bench with the second unit so he can get as many shots as he wants.

godolphins
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Mayo should be starting

Kakaroach
01-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Mayo could be a great 6th man but he is just not used to it. Henry is much more of a typical 2 guard where Mayo is more of a ball-handling combo guard.

Either way, the Grizz should hold onto both and not trade em.

smith&wesson
01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
He would fit well in chicago, they need scoring from the shooting gaurd position and may can offer just that, mayo's game reminds me of kevin martins, just alot of scoring.

xabial
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
This has been rehashed a zillion times in this forum and I believe that in reality, Pau turned into ZBo and Marc. We are a better team without just him. They never built a team around Pau and he fit seamlessly into the Laker fold. However last night was a dream come true for this Grizzlies fan........still smiling over that *** kicking!

Grizzlies saw something in Marc, and marc has the potential. Maybe its because he's Pau's brother?

Lakers Drafting doing all the work.. Drafting Marc with the 48h pick and trading him with scrubs for Pau Gasol. Lakers lucky grizzlies thought the 7 footer, Marc had potential to be like his brother. (To an extent, they were right) Grizzlies lucky, Marc's developed his game, and they used the cap space to acquire pieces (Zach Randolph)

All in all, at the time that was the most loopsided deal in professional Sports..

NOW, its a Fair Trade..

People need to let it go. Sure Pau helped the Lakers to three straight finals appearances and two titles, but Marc isn't a bad player.

Hellcrooner
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Grizzlies saw something in Marc, and marc has the potential. Maybe its because he's Pau's brother?

Lakers Drafting doing all the work.. Drafting Marc with the 48h pick and trading him with scrubs for Pau Gasol. Lakers lucky grizzlies thought the 7 footer, Marc had potential to be like his brother. (To an extent, they were right) Grizzlies lucky, Marc's developed his game, and they used the cap space to acquire pieces (Zach Randolph)

All in all, at the time that was the most loopsided deal in professional Sports..

NOW, its a Fair Trade..

People need to let it go. Sure Pau helped the Lakers to three straight finals appearances and two titles, but Marc isn't a bad player.
If mayo and Randolph get traded for DEFENSIVE players and Marc gasol starts putting up the 20-10 he is capable of no one will ever talk again bout it being lopsided.

boozdawg
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
If mayo and Randolph get traded for DEFENSIVE players and Marc gasol starts putting up the 20-10 he is capable of no one will ever talk again bout it being lopsided.

It is lopsided either way. Marc Gasol is even softer than his big brother. He will never become as good of a player as Pau, and I doubt he will be a 20-10 player.

MrfadeawayJB
01-07-2011, 06:04 PM
The reason he doesnt start is because it is not good to have 5 offensive minded players on the court at the same time....mayo is often in the game when it is hanging in the balance, and Tony Allen has been starting not Henry....Mayo might be traded, but he is a powerful punch off the bench where he can be the first option

MrfadeawayJB
01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
For the posters on ****** that think Memphis has OJ Mayo coming off the bench because they don't think he is good enough to start should have watched this game. Tony Allen working hard on defense while letting the others score, then bringing Mayo in off the bench to keep momentum going looks like a solid strategy to me.

That's what a fan said, that watched the game. OJ Mayo is a premier potential to be a star in the league. As a fan of his, do I like the fact that he is coming off the bench killing his value,stats, while stiil being on an average team at best and while being a possibly 20-25 ppg right now. Of course not.

However, there is method to the madness, even though I don't agree with it. simple if you watch the Grizzlies blow out the Lakers you would have seen why. 1st unit already has scorers in Rudy Gay, Z-bo. Rudy has been paid max dollars, so of he is going to start, Z-bo same thing. Then they bring in Mayo in the 2nd unit who is always by far the best player in the 2nd unit, to keep it with the scoring and don't blow the lead. The last 11 games he is averaging 17 ppg coming off the bench. He said he has been studying a lot of Manu Ginobili film on how he did in it the past.

OJ is a premier potential, and when he gets his chance to finally shine with touches and plays, starts,( hopefully with Rose's Bulls, or Knicks, or even Twolves) the all-star numbers/appearances will follow. Until then all he can do is embrace his 6th man role to the fullest, and wait for his number to be called ( via trade or starter injury) and showcase his talents when that time comes

and OJ isn't like Larry Hughes, Dwyane Wade, or whatever other name I saw. His skilset is similar to Brandon Roy's, but with a higher ceiling and even that's being generous for the type of player OJ can become

Could not agree more

icon1914
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
OJ Mayo has always been in the spotlight since the kid was like 14 years old. He was highlighted to be the next big thing, and went to USC...pretty much Hollywood for college

1. The grizzlies just feel that they are going to trade him in it's time to go another direction.
2. They grizz feel he's gonna leave them anyways to join a bigger market.

1. Maybe...

2. Mayo is a a RFA so there is no reason to fear him jumping ship... If Memphis wants him they could have him long term.

The facts are that Memphis has decided to make Mayo the odd man out. They just paid Gay and Conley, and have to resign Gasol and Zbo... after that they will not be able to match the offers Mayo will net next offseason...