PDA

View Full Version : Where Did All The Toughness/Hard Fouls Go???

goNYgoNYgo!!!
12-29-2010, 06:37 AM
I was just watching the 30 for 30 special "Reggie Miller vs The New York Knicks" and it reminded me how much I miss the days of tough, hard-nosed basketball. What happened to the days of the bad-boy teams who would knock a player on their *** when they came into their paint?

Now-a-days all these players around the league are friends, and it sucks. What happened to hating your enemy?

We need more guys like Pat Riley, Larry Brown, and JVG coaching. Riley wouldn't allow his players to talk to their opponents even if they grew up together.

What happened to hard fouls? Nobody knocks a star down or sends a message any more. Teams don't strike fear in opponents anymore.

It might sound classless, but I miss the days of dirty fouls and just plain hatred for the opposition.

Who's to blame for this loss? The players? The coaches? The league? Are the rules making it this way?

I just miss the 90's basketball so much!

asandhu23
12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
David Stern turned NBA PG

12-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks to David Stern, the refs & some players who bunch together to win instead of fighting harder :catfight:

what54!?
12-29-2010, 07:24 AM
they get called for flagorant fouls and get techs for showing emotion

goNYgoNYgo!!!
12-29-2010, 07:56 AM
If this is truely David Stern's fault, then he needs to go. Look at how popular the NFL has become! It's partly because fans can really get behind their teams who look like they want to kill their opponent.

I'm not saying the NBA should be about hurting people.. But don't we all miss the days of a coach sending in a player to put a guy on his *** just to send him a message?

Part of the reason we don't have the great rivalries anymore is because of this PUSSIFICATION of the NBA.

It's not because of the new super team trend.. it's because the players want to be friends with them.. and because Stern keeps turning a bunch of Atheletes into pretty boy metrosexuals.

stawka
12-29-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't agree with putting players on their ***** as you put it, but I'd like more toughness. More rugged defending, less tech's and ejections etc. But definitely no putting on ***** -- if a guy like LeBron or Blake or one of the high-flyers goes up for a dunk and someone clotheslines them to the ground, do we really want a potential career threatening injury? I don't, and I don't thunk anyone but the haters would either

B.JenningsMVP
12-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Up david stern's pu$$y

goNYgoNYgo!!!
12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't agree with putting players on their ***** as you put it, but I'd like more toughness. More rugged defending, less tech's and ejections etc. But definitely no putting on ***** -- if a guy like LeBron or Blake or one of the high-flyers goes up for a dunk and someone clotheslines them to the ground, do we really want a potential career threatening injury? I don't, and I don't thunk anyone but the haters would either

I'm not advocating for players to intentionally hurt other players... But if players do get hurt during a good, hard, clean foul, then so be it. This is professional sports, not gym class..

SteveNash
12-29-2010, 04:57 PM
How do flagrant fouls make the game better? If you want a fight, watch boxing.

goNYgoNYgo!!!
12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
How do flagrant fouls make the game better? If you want a fight, watch boxing.

How do you completely miss the point I am making? Did you not watch baskeball in the 90's? Players were tough, teams hated eachother, and the game just meant more because of it.. I'm guessing you've only been watching the NBA for no more than 8 years, cuz I've never met anyone who doesn't miss the way the game used to be played.

Weeks
12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Down the ******* when David Stern took this league by storm.

llemon
12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Kurt Thomas has saved them all.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2010, 06:42 PM
well, its not just Stern. Artest, and many other incidents helped. The NBA was going south in the average fan's eyes, so they took away the hand check. They eventually gave flagrant 1-2's. Its been a process over the years.
Which is why its difficult to compare players from then to players now. Imagine if MJ couldn't be touched. Or if Kobe had to go back and deal with all that contact. Things may be different. Shoot, Kobe may have been better for example. But a guy like Tony Parker would NEVER had led the NBA in points in the paint in 1990. I can tell you that for a fact

Aapox
12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
But a guy like Tony Parker would NEVER had led the NBA in points in the paint in 1990. I can tell you that for a fact

Imagine how good a guy like Kevin Johnson would be in today's game..lol

RZZZA
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I miss the 90's too. Everything was better in the 90's.

Basketball, rap, cereal.

remember when cereal would have toys inside? Now all you get is some lame mail-in certificate.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Imagine how good a guy like Kevin Johnson would be in today's game..lol

we can only speculate, but yes, players like him, or anyone who was ridiculously quick and could hit floaters would be awesome today

Hawkeye15
12-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Basketball, rap, cereal.

remember when cereal would have toys inside? Now all you get is some lame mail-in certificate.

agreed. The only rap I ever listen to is from the 90's, and a little 80's. Course, I am 35, but the stuff nowadays suuuuuuuucks.
THe cereal haha. Good call

Korman12
12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Whenever a league expands the general nature of it is to tone down.

The "toughness" wasn't what endeared fans to the game - its stars and high talent volume. In the 50s there was wreckless fouling and fighting, more so than any other NBA era, and it slowed the game down and made it horrible to watch.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Basketball, rap, cereal.

:clap: KiNG VITAMIN!

SteveNash
12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
How do you completely miss the point I am making? Did you not watch baskeball in the 90's? Players were tough, teams hated eachother, and the game just meant more because of it.. I'm guessing you've only been watching the NBA for no more than 8 years, cuz I've never met anyone who doesn't miss the way the game used to be played.

When I watch retro ball I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of skill shown by the players more than a supposed lack of toughness. Most people suffer from nostalgia as there were plenty of soft teams back then just like there are teams of various toughness today. Being a fan of post play I am disheartened by the softness of todays post players, but you weren't talking about that.

You brought up the Knicks and the Pistons, two teams that had Centers playing a soft game. And complaining about the lack of flagrant fouls in the paint. You complained about friendship in todays game but must have missed the 88 finals. It sounds like you want too much drama and not enough skill. Maybe instead of boxing, professional wrestling would be more your taste.

netsgiantsyanks
12-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Basketball, rap, cereal.

this

goNYgoNYgo!!!
12-29-2010, 08:30 PM
When I watch retro ball I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of skill shown by the players more than a supposed lack of toughness. Most people suffer from nostalgia as there were plenty of soft teams back then just like there are teams of various toughness today. Being a fan of post play I am disheartened by the softness of todays post players, but you weren't talking about that.

You brought up the Knicks and the Pistons, two teams that had Centers playing a soft game. And complaining about the lack of flagrant fouls in the paint. You complained about friendship in todays game but must have missed the 88 finals. It sounds like you want too much drama and not enough skill. Maybe instead of boxing, professional wrestling would be more your taste.

I DON'T WANT FIGHTING (although I'm not against little spats if things are getting heated)

I'M NOT FOR GUYS GETTING HURT

I'M NOT FOR COMPLAINING (although I think the current "respect for the game" t's are going way to far and are taking away from player's emotion)

AND I DON'T WATCH WRESTLING, OR FOLLOW ANY OTHER FIGHTING SPORT

I AM FOR RIVALRIES, TEAM/CITY PRIDE, TOUGHNESS, DEFENDING YOUR TURF AT ALL COSTS, ETC.

If you've ever met me, you'd know I am not a violent person AT ALL! I think fighting is stupid! Please don't put words in my mouth.. I'm just making a point that I miss the 80's and 90's NBA. Period.

Klivlend
12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
D. Steezzy

MSU4life
12-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Up david stern's pu$$y

x2