PDA

View Full Version : Will the Eastern conference EVER catch up with the West?

xabial
12-29-2010, 03:42 AM
With a sub.500 record to .500 record you can sneak in the playoffs in the east... But in the West you have to fight to get in... Last Year three teams that made it into the playoffs in the Western conference were tied with 50-32 Records...and two other teams in the west also were tied with 53-29 records. Its really tight..

My question to you is will the East ever catch up with the West? You've got Miami whose Rising, Orlando's New Trade acquisitions are Meshing..

Even the players who play in the East admit the East is weak. Am i the only one bothered by this? Will the East ever catch up? If so How long will it take?

210Don
12-29-2010, 03:43 AM
i doubt it unless a jordan type player enters the league.probably never

ChiTownPacerFan
12-29-2010, 04:08 AM
In the next few years, definitely not. These things ebb and flow though. In 5-10 years it could balance out or completely flip flop.

Wade>You
12-29-2010, 07:19 AM
The average fan is enamored with the Western Conference; a conference that produces multiple 50 win teams but never a team that can seriously compete for a championship, let alone the Lakers.

The East has more title contenders and teams that can actually dethrone L.A.

B.JenningsMVP
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM
If they take a short cut

Mr.ATLHawks
12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I dont get why everyone is still making these East vs West threads. Its not that the West is Heads and Tails above the East at all. How can you base "Records" on the quality of the conference? Anybody that watches or follows East Coast Teams knows its all about Defense in the East. 9 out of the Top 14 Defenses come out of the East. The Rankings below are based off Points against, which I know can be misleading but for the sake of arguement it will be adequate.

1 Boston
2 Miami
3 New Orleans
4 Milwaukee
5 Orlando
6 Dallas
7 Atlanta
8 Chicago
9 Portland
10 Philadelphia
11 Utah
12 San Antonio
13 Charlotte
14 Indiana

The Competition Level in the East I think is just alot closer among the teams then in the West. The West is all about Free flowing, up pace basketball. Indiana's record is pure garbage, BUT ask the Lakers is they are a garbage team. Its hard to explain but I will compare it to Baseball the AL is about hitting and offense mostly, and the NL always has the better pitching. Whent he 2 collide it comes down what is going to win this year Pitching vs Hitting. This year it was pitching (Giants) last year it was hitting (Yankees).

So do I think the East is better then the West, no. But I dont agree with all this when will the East catch up BS. They are not leaps and bounds behind the West. The Lakers have won back to back Championships because of their ability to match tenacity on Defense with the Eastern Teams in the Finals which is something they didnt do the first time around against Boston when BOS won the Championship a few years ago.

tbomlad
12-29-2010, 09:41 AM
WHAT??????!!!!!!!!! The three best teams in the NBA are the Heat, Magic, and Celtics. And beyond those three you have the Bulls, Hawks, and Knicks- who have been beating up on West teams. What r u talking about? Why is it that the East wins All-Star games and world championships?

S-Dot
12-29-2010, 09:42 AM
The average fan is enamored with the Western Conference; a conference that produces multiple 50 win teams but never a team that can seriously compete for a championship, let alone the Lakers.

:clap::clap::clap:This

With Miami, Orlando, Boston, and Chicago along with other huge improvements in the offseason for the Eastern Conference, I actually think the power is shifting its way East.

SteBO
12-29-2010, 09:58 AM
:clap::clap::clap:This

With Miami, Orlando, Boston, and Chicago along with other huge improvements in the offseason for the Eastern Conference, I actually think the power is shifting its way East.

Couldn't agree with this more. For as bad L.A. has been playing, at the end of the day, i don't think anyone in the west can beat them 4 times in a playoff series despite the records. It's very tiring and they way too much size and versatility. The East is so competitive at the top now. Think about it, Miami's won now 15 of their last 16 games and they haven't even gained a full game on Boston for #1 in the east. Orlando's played well too and Miami still has a 3.5 game lead over them for first in Southeast Division. It's going to be a fun race to the finish in the standings, that's for sure.

king4day
12-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Seems like everyone is forgetting the Spurs. Aren't they the best team in the league right now? They are deep enough to turn over any of the top teams in the east.
The defensive stats above are also a bit misleading. Even if you play good defense, those teams still can't score enough to win consistently.

The balance is getting closer but just because the East has 3 powerhouses doesn't mean they're the deeper conference. Technically the West does too.

S-Dot
12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Seems like everyone is forgetting the Spurs. Aren't they the best team in the league right now? They are deep enough to turn over any of the top teams in the east.
The defensive stats above are also a bit misleading. Even if you play good defense, those teams still can't score enough to win consistently.

The balance is getting closer but just because the East has 3 powerhouses doesn't mean they're the deeper conference. Technically the West does too.

I think there's parity more than anything. I defintely don't think the East has to catch up at this point...catch up to who?

Jahari Kavi
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM

this...title contenders is all that matters at the end of the day

Mr.ATLHawks
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Well you say defensive stats are misleading but so are offensive stats. Golden stat, Im sure, is probably near the top of the league in scoring but yet they sit at 12-18 and why is that? Because they cant defend worth a ****. The Spurs, Lakers and now Dallas are excellent Defensive Teams hence why they are dominating that conference right now. The Knicks are an excellent offensive team (best in the league, but they are near the bottom of the league in Points Against. After NY, 2-9 are all Western conference teams until you get to Toronto at #10. So technically they are the 2nd best offensive team in the East but yet they are 11-20. Why? Because they dont play effin defense.

ShakeN'Bake
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes. These things fluctuate.

bootsy
12-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Agreed. The East has already caught up with the West. As you said people get so enamored with the Western Conference having 6,7,8 teams win 50 games and when the playoffs get going those fraudulent 50 wins teams usually get swept out or win 1 game and there is usually one team that sweeps through everyone else on the way to the Finals. Occasionally you'll get a 6 or 7 game series. Meanwhile the East seems to always have competitive, exciting series throughout the playoffs. Give the East some credit please.

KnicksorBust
12-29-2010, 11:14 AM

This was the best post in the thread. The East isn't as deep but it's just as strong at the top. West isn't looking as deep these days with the Suns and Blazers falling off.

mttwlsn16
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Couldn't agree with this more. For as bad L.A. has been playing, at the end of the day, i don't think anyone in the west can beat them 4 times in a playoff series despite the records. It's very tiring and they way too much size and versatility. The East is so competitive at the top now. Think about it, Miami's won now 15 of their last 16 games and they haven't even gained a full game on Boston for #1 in the east. Orlando's played well too and Miami still has a 3.5 game lead over them for first in Southeast Division. It's going to be a fun race to the finish in the standings, that's for sure.

heat will NEVER beat the celtics. or magic

thri've
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
The west does have some powerhouse teams, teams that control the pace of the game. But the east is becoming that, there are some strong young teams (bulls, magic, heat, hawks). But the west does seem to have more teams above .500 at the end of the season the past several years, meaning that the East is getting better draft picks and slowly solidifying their rosters. Its only a matter of time. Ideally both conferences would be equal, but for dramatic and entertainment purposes (which to me is what the NBA is all about) its nice to have an "underdog" conference

Big Zo
12-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Realistically there's only 3 teams in each conference that can win it all anyway.

SteBO
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM

:rolleyes: Sure

More-Than-Most
12-29-2010, 12:11 PM
dammit wrong thread.

SouthSideRookie
12-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Well you say defensive stats are misleading but so are offensive stats. Golden stat, Im sure, is probably near the top of the league in scoring but yet they sit at 12-18 and why is that? Because they cant defend worth a ****. The Spurs, Lakers and now Dallas are excellent Defensive Teams hence why they are dominating that conference right now. The Knicks are an excellent offensive team (best in the league, but they are near the bottom of the league in Points Against. After NY, 2-9 are all Western conference teams until you get to Toronto at #10. So technically they are the 2nd best offensive team in the East but yet they are 11-20. Why? Because they dont play effin defense.

Im sure if your team was in the western conference and had to play the schedule a west team has you would have a different opinion, trust me.

In the west, it is not un-common to have to play 3 great teams in a week or a longer stretch of games, there are times where you literally can't catch a break. There is a huge difference in having to play the Thunder 3 times vs the Raptors for the first quarter of the season.

S-Dot
12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Im sure if your team was in the western conference and had to play the schedule a west team has you would have a different opinion, trust me.

In the west, it is not un-common to have to play 3 great teams in a week or a longer stretch of games, there are times where you literally can't catch a break. There is a huge difference in having to play the Thunder 3 times vs the Raptors for the first quarter of the season.

Thats not a fair comparison.

heattiltheend94
12-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Pretty sure Heat already beat the Magic this year already.

heattiltheend94
12-29-2010, 12:39 PM

There are crap teams in the west also. The Kings are the worse team in the league, and also factor in Minny, GS, and Clippers.

heattiltheend94
12-29-2010, 12:41 PM
If you look at Hollinger's rankings, 4 of the top 6 teams in the league are from the east. Heat (1), Celtics (2), Bulls (3), and Magic (6).

Rivera
12-29-2010, 12:41 PM
yes the east will catch up with the west....IMO theres only 3 teams from each conference that can realistically win the nba finals lakers/spurs/mavs/celtics/magic/heat

as far as sub .500 records the east will eventually be like the west and the west will b like the east cause the same teams are not gonna b good forever and the bad teams arent gonna b bad forever either the tides will turn in time the east has gotten alot better

S-Dot
12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
If you look at Hollinger's rankings, 4 of the top 6 teams in the league are from the east. Heat (1), Celtics (2), Bulls (3), and Magic (6).

It seems to me that people who say the west is still better than the East are judging it by the bottom teams, and how there's not much of a difference between the #7 and #8 seed with the the number #9 or #10 seed. Is that really the way to judge it though? Or is it by how many legitimate teams can compete for a title?

SouthSideRookie
12-29-2010, 12:53 PM
dammit wrong thread.

There are no Giants' fans here:D

Thats not a fair comparison.

Care to explain?

yes the east will catch up with the west....IMO theres only 3 teams from each conference that can realistically win the nba finals lakers/spurs/mavs/celtics/magic/heat

as far as sub .500 records the east will eventually be like the west and the west will b like the east cause the same teams are not gonna b good forever and the bad teams arent gonna b bad forever either the tides will turn in time the east has gotten alot better

I agree.

S-Dot
12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
There are no Giants' fans here:D

Care to explain?

I agree.

Toronto isnt the #4 seed in the East liek OKC is; I think the Magic are.

pd1dish
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
this offseason shifted to the east. maimi has become a powerhouse, the celtics remain dominant, the magic will always be in discussion for title contenders, the bulls are relevant again and are a piece or two away from being serious contenders, the knicks are a piece or two away from being title contenders (both bulls and knicks will be teams that the top seeds will be scared to play in the playoffs).

the west has the lakers, who have been struggling and kobe isnt getting any younger, the spurs have been spectacular (we will see if they can keep it up...they have some young talent but the majority of their best players are getting old), dallas is playing great but theyre notorious for crashing in the playoffs, oklahoma city is a scary underdog team much like the knicks and bulls.

id say that the two conferences are about even as of now. as miami gets better and gets more role players, they will improve. when carmelo leaves the west to join and eastern team (whoever it may be...bulls, knicks, nets), those teams will improve vastly. while the west has many star players aging, the east seems to have all the current stars in their prime with exception to durant. the east is up and coming and in the near future, its going to be the west who is the inferior conference, especially since the east plays much better defense.

Giants-49ers-Ws
12-29-2010, 01:17 PM
yes..its catching up..Kobe, Duncan, Ginobli, Nowitki..will keep their teams up top the next 3 years or so..but after that the power shift will go to the east

miami, orlando, atlanta, new york (assuming they acquire another elite player, i.e: CP3 or Carmelo), Chicago are all going to be good for a long time..and Boston has Rondo

in the west once those guys i mentioned retire or really decline, the elite teams as of now look like they'll be utah, okc, maybe port (if roy's healthy) and N.O (depends on if CP3 stays)..upcoming teams could include GSW and LAC but East forsure would be better

Weeks
12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Yes, many of the elite west teams are getting older (Spurs, Lakers, Mavs). Most of the elite are still pretty young aside from Boston.

The thing though is that the West have many young promising teams, so much so that if some of the top tier teams start to fall off they'll fill in (Thunder, Kings, Warriors, T'Wolves, Grizzlies)

Tony_Starks
12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Nope never. I can never imagine a time when the east will have eight 50+ win teams. Besides Boston, Orlando, Miami, now Chicago and maybe ATL the rest of the teams are very shaky.

heattiltheend94
12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Nope never. I can never imagine a time when the east will have eight 50+ win teams. Besides Boston, Orlando, Miami, now Chicago and maybe ATL the rest of the teams are very shaky.

I can't see the west doing that again either. If playoffs started today, you would have a .500 team, Portland or Houston

Mr.ATLHawks
12-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Well I think my team would love being in the Center Absent Western Conference....The Hawks would be a Top 5 Seed in the West as well. we do very well against Western conference teams. The 2 teams the Hawks have trouble with are the Spurs and Mavs. LA we can play against competively...other then those Teams, who would give the Hawks consistant problems? OKC...maybe, Utah...no, Portland...no, Phoenix....no, Houston...no, Denver...no, N.O....no... so i am not really getting the point. Put your team in the East where every night they batter and bruise you to death and lets see how those 50 wins pan out for you...

boolish
12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
bos and mia are the bully boys of the league. who cares about reg season.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2010, 07:15 PM
east is very top heavy, but after team #5, they fall off a cliff when comparing to the west middle teams. The depth of the west will probably keep them the top conference for a while, but it always swings.
Or does it? Maybe the best GM's in basketball just happen to be out west.

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-30-2010, 12:09 AM
The West vs East records always favor the west. Including this year where the West is 23 games over .500

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-30-2010, 01:40 AM
When is the last time Hollingers number 1 ranked team, actually won the championship? Serious question. I know the Lakers were not even top 5 last year in his rankings. That's how much respect I give to him and his made up formula rankings

BALLER71
12-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Once the Spurs nucleuss and Kobe Bryant retires, it seems like the East could become better.

D1JM
12-30-2010, 02:09 AM
during the 90's the east was the most dominate conference, 00's the west and the 10's seem to be even

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2010, 02:28 AM
That's why Melo and Paul is coming to the East.

tredigs
12-30-2010, 02:38 AM

Do you mean "Not including" the Lakers? Because those are your back to back champs...

And then you have the Spurs who have won multiple titles in the 00's, and have a serious chance to compete for another this year. Then there are the Mavs this year, who also have a legitimate case for the title (as good as anyone not named Boston). Highly competitive squads in Utah + Denver (falling clearly, but were right there with most top teams in the East up until this point) along with emerging elite talent in OKC.

From the top, all the way to the bottom, they are immensely superior to the East. It's been that way for over a decade.

The West vs East records always favor the west. Including this year where the West is 23 games over .500

Exactly. 48 game winners don't make it on occasion in the West. This year, we may have a 50 game loser make it in the East. It's embarrassing.

ManOnFire
12-30-2010, 03:02 AM
I can't see the west doing that again either. If playoffs started today, you would have a .500 team, Portland or Houston

Just imagine if both those teams had their stars at full strength...the fact that they're able to maintain a .500 record is a testament to how good they are and can be with their stars.

Even though elite players in the west are getting old, many of the teams in the west have good management and coaching staffs that generally draft wisely and have good scouts. Not saying teams in the east don't have quality management and coaching staffs, but they are obviously lacking something that the west had been able to thrive on for many years now.

Raph12
12-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Short answer... No.

SouthSideRookie
12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Well I think my team would love being in the Center Absent Western Conference....The Hawks would be a Top 5 Seed in the West as well. we do very well against Western conference teams. The 2 teams the Hawks have trouble with are the Spurs and Mavs. LA we can play against competively...other then those Teams, who would give the Hawks consistant problems? OKC...maybe, Utah...no, Portland...no, Phoenix....no, Houston...no, Denver...no, N.O....no... so i am not really getting the point. Put your team in the East where every night they batter and bruise you to death and lets see how those 50 wins pan out for you...

LOL. you sure do have a very high opinion of your team. I would take your comment alot more serious if you were a Boston, Miami, Orlando or even Chicago fan.

Mr.ATLHawks
12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
LOL. you sure do have a very high opinion of your team. I would take your comment alot more serious if you were a Boston, Miami, Orlando or even Chicago fan.

LOL...and being a Houston Rockets fan makes your opinion that more credible??? A little confused there...Last time I checked The Hawks have been better then the Bulls last couple of years, and they had a better record then Boston last year so....I think my team has earned the right to be considered in the Boston, Miami, Orlando talk. Not saying we are primed for a NBA Championship run, but we deserve the same respect you are giving middle of the run teams like Denver, Utah, OKC, Dallas....none of the teams have proved anything...

SteBO
12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
LOL...and being a Houston Rockets fan makes your opinion that more credible??? A little confused there...Last time I checked The Hawks have been better then the Bulls last couple of years, and they had a better record then Boston last year so....I think my team has earned the right to be considered in the Boston, Miami, Orlando talk. Not saying we are primed for a NBA Championship run, but we deserve the same respect you are giving middle of the run teams like Denver, Utah, OKC, Dallas....none of the teams have proved anything...

Nothing against the Hawks here, but i think southsiderookie's point here is that the middle of the pack teams in the West are better than those in the east. OKC, Utah, and Dallas isn't middle of the pack by any stretch. They're all better than ATL, regardless what they proved or haven't proved. And for you to say that ATL in the same talk as Boston, Miami, and Orlando is kinda silly if you ask me.

ChaseHamels
12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Not sure what is worse... The actual thread question itself or how it is phrased.

blueplanet
12-30-2010, 11:39 AM
This is a joke. I understand West is deeper but East is top heavy with 3 LEGIT contenders where West has only ONE legit and clear contender.

SteBO
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
This is a joke. I understand West is deeper but East is top heavy with 3 LEGIT contenders where West has only ONE legit and clear contender.

This x10000000000

Mr.ATLHawks
12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Nothing against the Hawks here, but i think southsiderookie's point here is that the middle of the pack teams in the West are better than those in the east. OKC, Utah, and Dallas isn't middle of the pack by any stretch. They're all better than ATL, regardless what they proved or haven't proved. And for you to say that ATL in the same talk as Boston, Miami, and Orlando is kinda silly if you ask me.

OKC was an 8th Seed last year....Did I miss something? Utah is a good team but elite? Really? Dallas I wont speak on because I havent watch much of their games, but their record looks good. What makes Utah and OKC superior to Atlanta? Just curious... BOS, MIA, LAL, SA are on a different level right now then all the other teams. So yes, if you are going to talk about Utah, Dallas, OKC then you have to talk about the Hawks as none of those teams are BETTER then the Hawks. OKC has a better, younger core then ATL but at this point they are not better then the Hawks. They also need that big man to get them to the ELITE status. Hence all the Chris Kaman mumbo jumbo...So if me putting ATL on the same level as Utah, Dallas, and OKC is silly then my friend you are a little to easily amused...

THE MTL
12-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Every year the East steals quite a few ppl from the West, but the story never changes though.

Over the past few years we have gotten: KG, Ray Allen, Shaq, Amare, Boozer, etc.

The East has more title contenders though. The West only has Spurs (recently) & Lakers. (Mavs have yet to prove anything in the postseason). The East has Boston, Orlando, & Miami.

SteBO
12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
OKC was an 8th Seed last year....Did I miss something? Utah is a good team but elite? Really? Dallas I wont speak on because I havent watch much of their games, but their record looks good. What makes Utah and OKC superior to Atlanta? Just curious... BOS, MIA, LAL, SA are on a different level right now then all the other teams. So yes, if you are going to talk about Utah, Dallas, OKC then you have to talk about the Hawks as none of those teams are BETTER then the Hawks. OKC has a better, younger core then ATL but at this point they are not better then the Hawks. They also need that big man to get them to the ELITE status. Hence all the Chris Kaman mumbo jumbo...So if me putting ATL on the same level as Utah, Dallas, and OKC is silly then my friend you are a little to easily amused...

I don't look into the records and standings too much. I'm not saying ATL isn't as good as those teams. I'm talking about the middle-of-the-pack teams as a whole. The west's teams are better than the bucks, sixers, pacers of the world.

Mr.ATLHawks
12-30-2010, 01:27 PM
at this point its going to be a dead arguement as everyone will have their own synopsis on why (A) Conference is better then (B) Conference. To me each conference has their own unique brand of ball and when the 2 collide its almost always magical.

The same goes for any sport PAC-10 vs SEC in football, ACC vs Big East in B-Ball, AFC vs NFC, NL vs AL....

ManOnFire
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Of course there's going to be more title contenders in the east. Other than the top 3 seeds, no other team will seriously contend. Not saying they aren't elite (because they obviously are) but all teams other than Boston, Miami, and Orlando, make them look elite and like title contenders.

beasted86
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Aside from this everyone knows teams in the West don't play defense.

If I recall correctly, 8 out of the top 12 defensive teams last season were from the East... meaning every single playoff team in the East had a top 12 defense.

Baller1
12-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Of course they'll catch up one day, but I don't see it happening for a couple years.

Baller1
12-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Atlanta has the 4th easiest schedule so far this season. They're a good team, but they are a tier below OKC, Dallas, Utah, and Chicago.

Tier 1:
Boston
Miami
San Antonio

Tier 2:
Orlando
LA
Dallas

Tier 3:
Chicago
OKC
Utah

Tier 4:
Atlanta
Denver
Knicks

Subject to change as the season progresses obviously.

blahblahyoutoo
12-30-2010, 03:33 PM
I dont get why everyone is still making these East vs West threads. Its not that the West is Heads and Tails above the East at all.

the expression is "head and shoulders".

heads [or] tails is for a coin fliip.

SouthSideRookie
12-30-2010, 03:57 PM

You said the East competition between the teams is much closer to what it is in the West, well why is it that last year in the playoffs the Magic totally dismantled the Hawks, and that's putting it mildly. The only team you beat in the playoffs(Bucks) was a team who only had 4 more wins than the Rockets and Houston was without two of their stars for the whole season, in the West. About the Rockets, check what happened the last time we made the playoffs when we didn't have injuries, I think we more than competed vs the eventual Champions

This is exactly my point.