PDA

View Full Version : Are You Ok With the Current Image/Direction of the League?

Tony_Starks
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Was just thinking back to when AI came in the league and how big a deal it was that he was a very popular player bringing a blatant hiphop influenced image to the NBA. I remember at the time my Dad lamenting "they should've never let him get away with all those tattoo's and that hair, pretty soon everyone will be doing it." Up until that time the faces of the NBA were for the most part clean cut, "non threatening" looking guys. That all changed.

Fast forward years later and tatts are commonplace, hiphop music is played routinely in many different arenas, and so on and so forth. All these things are perfectly great with me but then again I don't respresent every fan, every culture. It seems like David Stern has always tried to maintain a balance of connecting with the younger generation, while at the same time trying not to isolate the older generation (the parents) which are the majority of the season ticket holders. I can even remember one allstar game he had the Beach Boys performing and people were like what in the sam hell?

All that being said are you ok with the current image of the league and the direction its going? If not what would you like to see changed? Keep in mind its not a race debate, just curious to hear other perpectives from fellow fans....

ink
12-28-2010, 08:43 PM
The problems in the league aren't cultural. Music and hair aren't stopping players from playing sound, fundamental team basketball. The problem is that too many fans would rather see highlights than the game itself. And too many players get attention for supplying it. The Raptors have two perfect examples: a player like DeMar DeRozan (not to single him out) represents the problems with the league. Complete lack of fundamental skills but he can dunk. Jerryd Bayless is another. Great crossover moves but hasn't got a ****ing clue how to run a team. So many players with badly incomplete skills sets.

Hawkeye15
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
The problems in the league aren't cultural. Music and hair aren't stopping players from playing sound, fundamental team basketball. The problem is that too many fans would rather see highlights than the game itself. And too many players get attention for supplying it. The Raptors have two perfect examples: a player like DeMar DeRozan (not to single him out) represents the problems with the league. Complete lack of fundamental skills but he can dunk. Jerryd Bayless is another. Great crossover moves but hasn't got a ****ing clue how to run a team. So many players with badly incomplete skills sets.

why do you think I defend Kevin Love like he is my sister on this site?

ink
12-28-2010, 08:54 PM

:laugh2: Great player. EVERY team would want him on their roster.

Tony_Starks
12-28-2010, 08:54 PM

Well yeah I agree but I think we're talking about two different things. Im focusing more specifically on the image itself. I've heard people talk about how they don't like hearing all the music at the games, get sick of seeing all the tattoo's, things like that. Could be more of a generation gap I guess but I was curious to see the general thoughts about the image....

but yeah I agree, the fundamentals are totally screwed up and missing from todays game. Take me back to the 90's.

ink
12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Well yeah I agree but I think we're talking about two different things. Im focusing more specifically on the image itself. I've heard people talk about how they don't like hearing all the music at the games, get sick of seeing all the tattoo's, things like that. Could be more of a generation gap I guess but I was curious to see the general thoughts about the image....

but yeah I agree, the fundamentals are totally screwed up and missing from todays game. Take me back to the 90's.

Nothing wrong with the culture IMO. It's personal choice at a certain point and you can't limit that too much. I understand the need for a dress code and I think that goes far enough. The league wants to be professional. Other leagues have done that before. What else would you change?

Sactown
12-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Problem with the league is it's become soft...

Tony_Starks
12-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Haha! I was starting to think you guys were actually related!!

Flash3
12-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Watched Derozan against the heat this year. He was definitely showing the whole repertoire, don't get to watch him much he must be really inconsistent.

i agree with you everything you say here, excellent post.

Hawkeye15
12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Haha! I was starting to think you guys were actually related!!

sadly, I am not related to anyone who is famous. Because I would love to mooch

Sixerlover
12-28-2010, 09:57 PM
The image of the league is fine. The new problem will be the people who talk down on the league using the "Star players all want to leave" argument.

Weeks
12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm fine with it how it is.

I am more worried that players pumping their fist can result in a technical.

Weeks
12-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Yo stark, who's the chick in your avatar? lmao

KnicksorBust
12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
The league is great and this years conference finals will be the most exciting series in years. There are no new image issues.