PDA

View Full Version : Great Expectations; Incandescent, Burning

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Life is a forum, amorphous and unpredictable. Our veering ideals and per diem philosophies, our very raison d’etre are always changing. They are entities of contingency and though they are internal and abstractly fabricated, they mostly abide by our regional environments. We are products of our respective enclaves, influencing effigies of our surroundings. Life is a journey meant to close that gap, between who we want to be and who we really are. But most times that gap never reaches closure, and there is no comparable moment where one feels as existentially-weighted when that realization reaches its fruition.

This is why I have a burning affinity for the sports world, particularly basketball. We have all witnessed the tragedies, have inter-experienced the broken hearts, have shared the universal struggles of players and fans alike. And in the midst of this past time, where we endure the continuum of disappointment by grabbing the throat of faith, for the sake of experiencing the iridescent feeling of victory for just one summer, we have learned that predestiny is a farce, a sham preached to us by unbrushed mouths of the defeatists from their apprehensive minds. Because predictability is unpredictability, and unpredictability is just as intermittent and random, like those moments where your shoulders shiver, or when you lose or gain a friend in oddly timed circumstances, or those rare in-game moments when Chauncey Billups decides to live up to his nickname.

Yes, expectations are constantly being convoluted, sometimes shifting like a pendulum (Kobe is going to challenge the GOAT, Kobe will never challenge the GOAT, Kobe may challenge the GOAT). So in light of this, during this year which players have taken 180 leaps in our concept of them as athletes. What became promising talent turned into inevitably unrealized potential, or what started off as a bench-warming 13th player turned into a bonafide leader of a team? From the 2009-10 to now, amongst the NBA which players have turned the tides most vehemently…for better or worse.

BirdIsTheWord
12-27-2010, 09:37 AM
wow.

SteBO
12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
i used to think Amare was a whining ***** that cares only for money and can't be a leader. Man I coudn't have been more wrong.

thekmp211
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
i chose gay. he has been a stud this year. wasn't sure he had it in him.

bctgg27
12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Spelled Stoudemire wrong.... I went with Westbrook. He has really developed into an excellent second option on the Thunder. It may be hurting Durant's numbers, but the team as a whole definitely benefits from his increased production.

NYKalltheway
12-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Amare or Westbrook, made a homer pick :)

Young and Stupid
12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Has to be Stat.

You know for an English major, this memoir was poorly written. Seriously. You might want to ponder changing your major.

tredigs
12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
From mental midget to literary juggernaut (well, let's call it that) and parter of the thread seas, look at you go! But personally, I like the other shtick more.

--------------

I'd like to say Greg Oden, but his fall to the depths of "Could've-Been, but Never Was!" almost seemed so depressing and at a point, expected, that we can't really say it was a tidal wave of emotion that crashed on our heads.

I don't think any of the poll choices are fitting when take into account their per-minute increase or natural progression in the teams offense. Some are impressive, but nothing out of this world. I'll take Raymond Felton. He's been absolutely incredible this season, maintaining efficiency with an increased role in the offense, and is the engine of that teams offense on most nights between his 18+ points and 9+ assists night in/night out. Says a lot that even with Amare's monster production, the leader of the team in Offensive Ratings and WinShares is Felton. He hasn't gotten much respect throughout the league, or even too much from most Knicks fans (as it has all fallen to Amare), but he's been incredible; color me impressed.

Raph12
12-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Amare and Darko FINALLY playing defense has been nice...

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Has to be Stat.

You know for an English major, this memoir was poorly written. Seriously. You might want to ponder changing your major.

Relative to what? Poorly written under the purview of snobbish literary critics and haughty, de facto pedagogic Ivy Leaguers? Had I known one would read it, I would have considered reviewing and editing the context to give solace to their inferiority complex. I'll try better next time.

thekmp211
12-27-2010, 04:24 PM
" i guess it's "see no ban, speak no ban" on PSD these days

edit: im also changing my vote. i knew K. Love was gonna be good with minutes, but I can honestly say that I did not expect him to average 15 rebounds per game AND shoot 40% from three. His ceiling for me went from borderline all-star to potential top 20 player (which he may be close to now)

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Where's Rondo? I would of definitely picked him.

I chose Amare out of that list though, not close imo.

KingPosey
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
was this just to show everyone how well you know the dictionary in English?

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Where's Rondo? I would of definitely picked him.

I chose Amare out of that list though, not close imo.

The Rondo-coming-out-party's inception developed during the 2009 playoffs. Throughout the 2009-10 after his thrifty (only in the professional sports world is $55 million considered thrifty) contract extension he was not just lauded for his arduous display and world-class speed, he became an all-star candidate and the vanguard of the quintessential point guard. The trajectory of his importance to his team further inclined this year with his incremental assists numbers, but he was already generally understood as a top talent point guard in the league last year. The omission was not accidental.

PhillyFaninLA
12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I chose other.

Gilbert Arenas. When you confront someone, anyone, with 3 loaded guns and talk trash you are asking to get killed or to murder someone. By far Gilbert and his method of confronting a teammate bar far effected my opinion of him more than any other.

Basketash
12-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I chose Stat, but Love is right there

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 04:56 PM
was this just to show everyone how well you know the dictionary in English?

You have me cornered Sir Posey. However, regardless of my underlying motives or sexually-deprived thought processes, I did offer legitimate inquiry on the subject of unexpected play from this year's athletes. If this garners any curmudgeon feelings, I shall stop. I am a doting follower of PSD, and refuse to compromise its patriarchal and energetic (mostly patriarchal) ethos in any way, shape, or form. I do not write in this verbose, gratuitous manner as a trickling effect of my pretension, I write in this manner to avoid electronic extradition from this site. But I will not further digress on the subject.

Who hast thine vote for?

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I chose other.

Gilbert Arenas. When you confront someone, anyone, with 3 loaded guns and talk trash you are asking to get killed or to murder someone. By far Gilbert and his method of confronting a teammate bar far effected my opinion of him more than any other.

Perhaps the specificity of the topic was clouded by my ego-tripping tangent but again, I am referring to our altered perceptions of players over the transition from last season to this season. Gilbert's incident - and overall decline from both an image and player standpoint -occurred last season. Nothing has really changed since, although he has ostensibly ambulated down the path of rekindled acceptance by the NBA world, but that seems to be mostly a product of passing time, as there is no greater source that stimulates forgiveness than time.

PhillyFaninLA
12-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Perhaps the specificity of the topic was clouded by my ego-tripping tangent but again, I am referring to our altered perceptions of players over the transition from last season to this season. Gilbert's incident - and overall decline from both an image and player standpoint -occurred last season. Nothing has really changed since, although he has ostensibly ambulated down the path of rekindled acceptance by the NBA world, but that seems to be mostly a product of passing time, as there is no greater source that stimulates forgiveness than time.

Sorry about that I misunderstood.

I'd have to say Rudy Gay then.

DaBUU
12-27-2010, 05:06 PM

why do i keep reading these posts in an English accent, weird say I

magichatnumber9
12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
WTF. Couldn't you have stated your question without jerking me off.

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Sorry about that I misunderstood.

I'd have to say Rudy Gay then.

A valiant choice, and the one that I chose. Of course, just to be clear and avoid any escalation of my perceived-narcissism, I am not dubbing its excellence based off of my own choosing because that would be petty, as my opinion is of no more significance than any other man's. The valiance of your choice is ruled by....no, wait I was wrong. It is entirely due to my choosing of it. Carry on ol' chap.

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 05:19 PM
WTF. Couldn't you have stated your question without jerking me off.

Are you questioning the orientation of my sexuality, or are you implying that my writing has made you climax? I do pray it's the latter ol' sport.

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 05:24 PM
why do i keep reading these posts in an English accent, weird say I

Is the omnibus, pop cultural icon Yoda of British decent? And for the record, I am not English you tallywacker! (insert friendly emoticon to evade infraction for insulting) :p

CityofTreez
12-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Great Expectations and Burning in the same thread title?

Whatever. I picked Westbrook.

Young and Stupid
12-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Relative to what? Poorly written under the purview of snobbish literary critics and haughty, de facto pedagogic Ivy Leaguers? Had I known one would read it, I would have considered reviewing and editing the context to give solace to their inferiority complex. I'll try better next time.

Relative to the output of an average to below-average individual who happened to take on the challenging task of going forward in this world with an English major.

I'm aware that you are worried about your life-chances (sociology) after graduation considering the fact that your major of choice has become all but obsolete in today's world. After today's outburst, I'm also aware that you possess below-average writing skills. That, my friend, could lead you into the treacherous field of Starbucks serving.

I do however, respect your basketball knowledge and it's sad that it has been wasted for so long within a tired -- yet funny -- act.

tredigs
12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Other than Felton, the other write-ins (see: non-sexy picks) I have are Lamar Odom, Nick Young and Big Baby. The jumps in their usage+efficiency (in turn, production) are more drastic than just about anyone in the league at this point.

As for those listed, it has to be K. Love. Actually getting his deserved minutes aside, his rebounds/rebound% are at levels we haven't seen outside of prime Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman in the past two decades. Throw in a newly found elite 3pt shot to nestle with his 87% foul shooting en route to 20 a game, and you have yourself an amazing upgrade in the early going. I knew he'd be good in his new role, but I did not think he could maintain this efficiency with such dominant rebounding.

For those saying Amare, his per-36 production is no better or worse than it has ever been. He's had seasons just like this before, and his defense is still just as poor as always (a couple nice blocks a game aside, but again this is nothing new). The hype of NY actually playing fairly well this year along with the sheer size of their fanbase has mounted him to the top of MVP talks, but he really doesn't deserve it. Felton has been hugely crucial to their success (a MUCH bigger upgrade over Duhon than Amare was to D. Lee), and Landry Fields stepping in and doing a little of everything has also been big for them. I still don't think they'll finish much better than .500, but the praise Amare is getting for their early success is clearly overboard at this point.

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Relative to the output of an average to below-average individual who happened to take on the challenging task of going forward in this world with an English major.

I'm aware that you are worried about your life-chances (sociology) after graduation considering the fact that your major of choice has become all but obsolete in today's world. After today's outburst, I'm also aware that you possess below-average writing skills. That, my friend, could lead you into the treacherous field of Starbucks serving.

I do however, respect your basketball knowledge and it's sad that it has been wasted for so long within a tired -- yet funny -- act.

Apparently you lack the ability to distinguish the differences between submitting a paper and submitting a post on an internet sports forum. These unmerited diatribes are based only off of visceral displays of my writing. There's only room for one intellectual in this forum, and you've clearly made your mark. I challenge thee to a duel with the weapon of your choosing!

p.s. If I ever catch you ordering a latte at the register, I'm spitting in your drink

MoBASS
12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Life is a forum, amorphous and unpredictable. Our veering ideals and per diem philosophies, our very raison d’etre are always changing. They are entities of contingency and though they are internal and abstractly fabricated, they mostly abide by our regional environments. We are products of our respective enclaves, influencing effigies of our surroundings. Life is a journey meant to close that gap, between who we want to be and who we really are. But most times that gap never reaches closure, and there is no comparable moment where one feels as existentially-weighted when that realization reaches its fruition.

This is why I have a burning affinity for the sports world, particularly basketball. We have all witnessed the tragedies, have inter-experienced the broken hearts, have shared the universal struggles of players and fans alike. And in the midst of this past time, where we endure the continuum of disappointment by grabbing the throat of faith, for the sake of experiencing the iridescent feeling of victory for just one summer, we have learned that predestiny is a farce, a sham preached to us by unbrushed mouths of the defeatists from their apprehensive minds. Because predictability is unpredictability, and unpredictability is just as intermittent and random, like those moments where your shoulders shiver, or when you lose or gain a friend in oddly timed circumstances, or those rare in-game moments when Chauncey Billups decides to live up to his nickname.

Yes, expectations are constantly being convoluted, sometimes shifting like a pendulum (Kobe is going to challenge the GOAT, Kobe will never challenge the GOAT, Kobe may challenge the GOAT). So in light of this, during this year which players have taken 180 leaps in our concept of them as athletes. What became promising talent turned into inevitably unrealized potential, or what started off as a bench-warming 13th player turned into a bonafide leader of a team? From the 2009-10 to now, amongst the NBA which players have turned the tides most vehemently…for better or worse.

This is the greatest post in PSD history.

Young and Stupid
12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
This is the greatest post in PSD history.

It's funny because it's true.

Apparently you lack the ability to distinguish the differences between submitting a paper and submitting a post on an internet sports forum. These unmerited diatribes are based only off of visceral displays of my writing. There's only room for one intellectual in this forum, and you've clearly made your mark. I challenge thee to a duel with the weapon of your choosing!

Nah all kidding aside, I do respect your knowledge of the game and I would appreciate it if you would contribute posts such as the ones seen in this thread more often. Respect.

boozdawg
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
brb, gotta go take a peak in the old thesaurus so i can find some sweet words to impress the douchebag who made this thread

tredigs
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Also, pray tell why my cut KD is on the list? He had his standard slow start, but as of late he's been thrashing the league as per 09/10 usual (including the 44pt dismantling of Denver in the X-mas game). Leads the league in scoring, has entered the MVP discussion, and has just been generally dominant over the past month (28+/6+/3+ 1st 1blk on 49%fg, 37%3pt).

He back.

Tony_Starks
12-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Westbrook. Its one thing to play well when you're a sleeper team and no one is paying attention. This year they're actually on peoples radar, he's received attention because of his summer play, and he' still doing his thing. In fact playing better with the added pressure.

Im tempted to say Love with his video game numbers but they have so many garbage time games its hard for me to really judge him. I'd have to see him on a real team in games that really matter.

Also why Darko is up there I will never know......

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Nah all kidding aside, I do respect your knowledge of the game and I would appreciate it if you would contribute posts such as the ones seen in this thread more often. Respect.

So the weapon has been chosen. Moral fortitude it is.

KingPosey
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
You have me cornered Sir Posey. However, regardless of my underlying motives or sexually-deprived thought processes, I did offer legitimate inquiry on the subject of unexpected play from this year's athletes. If this garners any curmudgeon feelings, I shall stop. I am a doting follower of PSD, and refuse to compromise its patriarchal and energetic (mostly patriarchal) ethos in any way, shape, or form. I do not write in this verbose, gratuitous manner as a trickling effect of my pretension, I write in this manner to avoid electronic extradition from this site. But I will not further digress on the subject.

Who hast thine vote for?

That's a noun.

TheHoopsProphet
12-27-2010, 06:43 PM
That's a noun.

Insert the hyphen, and it remains compatible. Hyphens make the world a better place, as do you ol' chap.

ink
12-27-2010, 08:27 PM
From mental midget to literary juggernaut (well, let's call it that) and parter of the thread seas, look at you go! But personally, I like the other shtick more.

This isn't the first time he's tried the "literary juggernaut" schtick. That's how the OP started out, then switched to complete illiteracy, then switched back to this schtick. This thread is going nowhere.