PDA

View Full Version : Have the Bulls and Knicks renewed a rivary?

camador22
12-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Have the Bulls and Knicks developed a rivary once again? Based on the two games this year it seems like they're at it once again like the Jordan days. This year the Knicks beat them twice in the regular season but who wins in a playoff series?

Kashmir13579
12-26-2010, 09:31 PM
A once heated rivalry could warm up the frigid east coast this Christmas.

The stocking-stuffer game between the Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks has the makings of a glimpse at future battles amongst these once bitter rivals.

As you finish opening gifts and get out of those footy pajamas, give the booyah network a look-see as the Bulls and Knicks start off the five-game Christmas schedule. A day normally serving up only two to three games, Christmas boasts some heavy hitting games, but the early game is usually a game between teams that appear to be on the rise in the NBA.

Today is no different.

Each team is led by stars who have supporting casts that would make any Christmas season bright. The combos of Derrick Rose-Carlos Boozer and Raymond Felton-Amare Stoudemire are the focal points for each team. Not only are the supporting casts good, but they are young and good.

The Bulls boast Joakim Noah (injured, but still a young stud), Taj Gibson, Omer Asik and C.J. Watson, while the Knicks young corps includes Toney Douglas, Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields and Wilson Chandler, among others.

With all the positives the two teams bring to the Christmas table, there is the hope of getting the rivalry to what it once was back in the 1990's.

The future could be now for Felton, Rose.
Epic battles between guards John Starks and Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen posterizings of Patrick Ewing and raucous crowds were just a few of the many highlights of an almost decade-long rivalry that disappeared as quickly as Derrick Rose on a fast break.

The guard battle is set to be a good one. Rose and Felton are two of the better guards in the league today, and show no signs of slowing down. Rose continues to show his elite status, and Felton is flourishing in a non-Larry Brown ran offense.

Both teams boast major scorers in the paint, as well. Amare Stoudemire has been a scoring machine, showing many analysts and fans that he was not a product of the Phoenix Suns' run-and-gun, no defense system. Playing in a very familiar system with head coach Mike D'Antoni helps, but the talent that the Suns had was arguably better than what Stoudemire is surrounded by now. Any way you slice it, Amare has made New York relevant again.

Carlos Boozer has been an offensive lightning rod since coming back from an injury that benched him through Thanksgiving. The pick-and-pop partner of D-Rose has been playing well in every facet of the game (minus the defensive lapses), and has given Noah a lot of breathing room under the rim.

The one negative that those two have is their lack of interior defense. Rebounds are nice, but so is preventing shots.

That is where the Bulls are clearly better. The Knicks have a young project in Andy Rautins, who could potentially blossom with Stoudemire, but is nowhere on the level of a healthy Noah.

A match-up that should stick out to most is at the small forward position, where Gallinari and Bulls forward Luol Deng do their business. Deng has had a revival of his own this year, as scoring and health have been on his side. Galli is still having his growing pains—his scoring and other stats have plateaued—but should continue to get the opportunity to show his extended shooting range.

A lot still needs to happen for both of these teams to come even close to attaining the respectability that their forebears had, but a glimpse into the future, like today's game, will hopefully make the Christmas season, in a sports aspect, a bit brighter.

IMO, Knicks have their number thus far. bulls fans will say different.

NYKalltheway
12-26-2010, 09:41 PM
"Rivalries" never end so there's no need to 'renew' it. It's just that this year it might start to matter to various people other than the fans of either ;)

So yes, the rivalry will soon become important again in the NBA, but don't say about rivalry renewals etc. Rivalries are on forever once they get started ;)

lvlheaded
12-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Right now, Id say the Knicks beat them in a playoff series, due to the fact that in the 2 games they have played this year, the Knicks have won and been able to play good defense against them. But you never know once the playoffs start. As of now? Advantage NY

ewing
12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
The Knicks started over this year. So dont the bulls actually have to beat the Knicks before they can be considered rivals?:)

JordansBulls
12-26-2010, 09:58 PM
The Knicks started over this year. So dont the bulls actually have to beat the Knicks before they can be considered rivals?:)

Well it was the same in the 90's as well, Knicks never beat the bulls but yet it was considered a rivalry.

I would say this much, I think a Bulls vs Knicks rivalry now isn't of course going to be like the 90's but it will be more like the Rockets vs Jazz rivalry in 2007 and 2008 where they met in round 1.

hawkeyefootball
12-26-2010, 10:07 PM

It all depends on if the Bulls are healthy. Joakim Noah plays much better defense on Amare than any of Kurt Thomas, Taj Gibson, and Carlos Boozer. And in the first game Carlos Boozer didn't play.

If both teams were totally healthy in a 7 games series I'd probably take the Bulls in 6 or 7.

ewing
12-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Well it was the same in the 90's as well, Knicks never beat the bulls but yet it was considered a rivalry.

I would say this much, I think a Bulls vs Knicks rivalry now isn't of course going to be like the 90's but it will be more like the Rockets vs Jazz rivalry in 2007 and 2008 where they met in round 1.

I got ya. I was being a bit of a wise-*** more then anthing. I dont really dislike the Bulls yet (Noah's has really grown on me- i hated that guys at FL). So i dont think it is a rivalary yet. Just 2 interesting teams looking to establish themselves

KINGBAIZE
12-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I think it is gonna come back around to be a rivalry, but the Knicks still aren't better than our team even though they've beat us twice.

They beat us the first game without Boozer, who is a 20/10 player, and they beat us Christmas without Noah who is our defensive anchor, and top rebounder, and also our backup PF Taj Gibson. K. Thomas guarding A. Stoudemire for 4 quarters proved absolutely nothing! I still think Chicago is the superior team, and I don't think they could beat us in a 7 game series.

It all depends on if the Bulls are healthy. Joakim Noah plays much better defense on Amare than any of Kurt Thomas, Taj Gibson, and Carlos Boozer. And in the first game Carlos Boozer didn't play.

If both teams were totally healthy in a 7 games series I'd probably take the Bulls in 6 or 7.

You took my thoughts right out of my mind.

Right now, Id say the Knicks beat them in a playoff series, due to the fact that in the 2 games they have played this year, the Knicks have won and been able to play good defense against them. But you never know once the playoffs start. As of now? Advantage NY

They still haven't beat us with our complete team on the floor.

Playing without Boozer 1 game...and playing without Noah and T. Gibson makes a big difference on both sides of the ball. The Knicks can't beat us with everyone healthy.

Not to mention if we can find a SG...or just get K. Bogans out of our starting lineup.

lvlheaded
12-26-2010, 10:39 PM
They still haven't beat us with our complete team on the floor.

Playing without Boozer 1 game...and playing without Noah and T. Gibson makes a big difference on both sides of the ball. The Knicks can't beat us with everyone healthy.

You cant make that statement because they havent played each other with both at full strength. Im saying that if things were the way the were yesterday, the Knicks win. Injuries happen to everyone. Its how you over come them that matters. You cant make excuses cause this person is hurt or that person is hurt. The Celtics are riddle with injuries and are still the best team in the east.

As of right now, this second, Id give the Knicks the advantage

NYtilIdie
12-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Injuries are just another excuse. Its part of the game and its something you gotta overcome when they approach.

Sactown
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Knicks suck.. pretenders

KINGBAIZE
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
You cant make that statement because they havent played each other with both at full strength. Im saying that if things were the way the were yesterday, the Knicks win. Injuries happen to everyone. Its how you over come them that matters. You cant make excuses cause this person is hurt or that person is hurt. The Celtics are riddle with injuries and are still the best team in the east.

As of right now, this second, Id give the Knicks the advantage

Who has the Knicks been missing from injury in our 2 meetings? NOBODY.

So I think its fair to say that if anybody has had an advantage when we have played it has been NY. When Kurt Thomas is guarding Amare Stoudemire...thats a major advantage. And when Boozer didn't play, thats a major chunk of scoring missing when you consider he has been avg about 25ppg since returning.

If they beat us with Rose, Brewer, Deng, Boozer, Noah and Taj healthy I'll shut up. Those are the key pieces to our team at the moment.

d00d
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
to renew a rivalry means that there was once one. the Bulls destroyed and dominated the Knicks in every playoff series in the supposed "rivalry" years.

even after Jordan retired, it took a rogue referee to keep Pippen out of the Finals at the Knicks expense

DaSox_05
12-26-2010, 11:21 PM
There was never really a "rivalry" in the 90's. Because that would of meant that the Knicks would actually of had to have won series. Which MJ never let happen. Anyway IF both teams are at full strength the Bulls easily win a 7 game series.

TO Rapz
12-26-2010, 11:23 PM
You cant just renew a rivalry that quickly. The only reason this is being mentioned is cuz of the rivalry on PSD rather then the real life sport.

NYKnicks4511
12-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I think it is gonna come back around to be a rivalry, but the Knicks still aren't better than our team even though they've beat us twice.

They beat us the first game without Boozer, who is a 20/10 player, and they beat us Christmas without Noah who is our defensive anchor, and top rebounder, and also our backup PF Taj Gibson. K. Thomas guarding A. Stoudemire for 4 quarters proved absolutely nothing! I still think Chicago is the superior team, and I don't think they could beat us in a 7 game series.

Pffft, ya'll need to tighten up your D before we even talk about there being a game 5.

The Bulls and Knicks are evenly matched with the two teams being superior to each other in different facets of the game. Our three point shooting isn't an aberration, the Bulls just didn't contest them.

And just as you can make the injury excuse, notice we don't have Azubuike (another 15 and 7 guy) who shot above 40% from 3PT range last year, and if healthy is our best on ball defender, so that gives us another option to put on D-Rose (even though Felton and Douglas played nice D on him, 25 pts on 28 shots).

Anyway all this talk is meaningless, the Knicks have beaten the Bulls twice this year. If Chi town nut huggers want to pull that crystal ball out of your *** and call a 4 game sweep in the playoffs so be it, but you have no grounds to speak on as of now, Bulls are 0-2 .

ewing
12-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Who has the Knicks been missing from injury in our 2 meetings? NOBODY.

So I think its fair to say that if anybody has had an advantage when we have played it has been NY. When Kurt Thomas is guarding Amare Stoudemire...thats a major advantage. And when Boozer didn't play, thats a major chunk of scoring missing when you consider he has been avg about 25ppg since returning.

If they beat us with Rose, Brewer, Deng, Boozer, Noah and Taj healthy I'll shut up. Those are the key pieces to our team at the moment.

No had an advantage. The score at the begining was 0-0 and the Knicks finsihed both games in front. You can think your team has more potential then the Knicks but your team was still handled by the Knicks twice

nitric
12-27-2010, 12:04 AM

By beating us when we had a 20/10 All Star PF or a top 3 center missing?

ramsizzle
12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
No had an advantage. The score at the begining was 0-0 and the Knicks finsihed both games in front. You can think your team has more potential then the Knicks but your team was still handled by the Knicks twice

he was stating fact...mainly that the bulls missed a all star caliber player in both games. Something the knicks have had over the bulls is a mixture of luck and playing out of control good basketball...Knicks fans panties will probably be in a bunch for me saying this but 60%+ and 55%+ is luck no matter how you swing it. It isnt bad defense it isnt anything. Amare has been held in check and id love to see this knicks team try and keep up with a complete bulls team. An 8 point win twice isnt handled BY ANY means.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
The rivalry will be renewed when the Knicks actually make the playoffs and play the Bulls in a crazy *** series like Bulls/Celtics 2 years ago. Regular season games don't mean ****.

Hustla23
12-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Maybe it'd be a rivalry if one of the teams actually got a win so far. :p

Khalifa21
12-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Why is it that the team that loses the regular season games say they "don't mean ****"?

I'm sure if it was the other way round they'd mean a lot more... :rolleyes:

northsider
12-27-2010, 12:32 AM
I personally think this year is just a good year cause there are more up and coming teams trying to earn there spot with the bigs and the Bulls and Knicks happen to be 2 of those teams so when they battle each other of course it is going to be good.

Knicks so far have out played us in both games I think the one that stands out is that they beat us at home. I mean people discrediting the Bulls for losing to the Knicks in the garden are also discrediting the Knicks cause they aren't a bad team nothing shameful on the Bulls side for making it a battle and a couple things go our way and we have a win.

_KB24_
12-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Harro, but sorry, it is not a rivary right now. Maybe tommowow, but it is too earry.

:) Just trying out the Chinese accent.

Not a "rivalry" yet, maybe in due time.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Why is it that the team that loses the regular season games say they "don't mean ****"?

No it wouldn't. We beat the Lakers, you know, the team that has won the last 2 titles? We sure didn't go around gloating all over them saying the Bulls/Lakers rivalry is back and we can take them in a 7 game series. It was 1 regular season game. A W for the Bulls and an L for the Lakers.

Unlike you Knicks fans who were in here acting like you won the NBA title after 2 regular season wins :laugh2:

Its ok, I understand you guys haven't had much to cheer for or celebrate over the last 3+ decades. You can do whatever you want.

CityofTreez
12-27-2010, 12:56 AM
It's always a rivalry when both teams are playing well (which they are right now). But, it will never develop into a NY/BOS matchup i bet.

JordansBulls
12-27-2010, 12:57 AM

A lot of times it matters, but certain times it does not. Example: Cavs in 1989 were 6-0 against the Bulls in the regular season and met us in round 1 and the Cavs had HCA and we upset them in that series. Knicks were 3-1 against the Bulls in 1993 in the Regular Season and the Bulls beat them in the playoffs without HCA.
Orlando last year IIRC were 3-1 against Boston in the Regular season and Boston beat them in the playoffs.

AddiX
12-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Has to happen in the playoffs.

Kashmir13579
12-27-2010, 01:27 AM
By beating us when we had a 20/10 All Star PF or a top 3 center missing?

Bulls beat plenty of good teams this season with important players in street clothes. and i'm pretty confident Noah wasn't the answer to the 9 min scoring drought they had in the 4th quarter.

Its not even like they have competed with the Knicks. Rose sat out the 4th quarter in the first game (at your house) and i think yesterdays game is still fresh in your memory. Neither Noah or Boozer can stop Knicks from shooting lights out from 3. And while its true that Noah can help on Amar'e, he didnt even have a great game.. 20 and 10 (i think), thats about about as bad of a game as he's had all season.

Kashmir13579
12-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Has to happen in the playoffs.

would be amazing

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-27-2010, 01:32 AM
2 Regular season losses...OMGG I'M SO SCURRREDD!

Crackadalic
12-27-2010, 01:32 AM
idk about you guys but despite the bulls missing boozer in game 1 and noah in game 2 does not give them an excuse why the bulls allowed the knicks the shoot over 50% from 3 in both games. we had other teams that defended us better at the 3 point line yet you guys let us shoot that well beyond the arc. the bulls defense is good but defending the 3 is horrendous so until they can do that bulls fans need to stop using the injury excuse and defend better next time

RZZZA
12-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Knicks certainly kicked our butts twice. And to answer the OP, yes, I am glad there is a renewed rivalry; and I am glad that both the Knicks and the Bulls are on the rise and looking to be great teams again.

Cheers! I like the Knicks and wish only the best for you

I mean...what cities deserve good basketball teams more than New York & Chicago?

Kashmir13579
12-27-2010, 01:50 AM
2 Regular season losses...OMGG I'M SO SCURRREDD!

you certainly sound scared :ohno:

Fireworld
12-27-2010, 02:11 AM
No. Just because both teams are good now doesn't mean it's a rivalry. They need to both beat eachother at least one in the Playoffs to be a rivalry.

Evolution23
12-27-2010, 03:03 AM
It is a rivalry. Bulls would lose any other game than the ones they lost against the Knicks, just because of the hatred they have. U guys can't even deny that fact.

D-Leethal
12-27-2010, 04:02 AM
to renew a rivalry means that there was once one. the Bulls destroyed and dominated the Knicks in every playoff series in the supposed "rivalry" years.

even after Jordan retired, it took a rogue referee to keep Pippen out of the Finals at the Knicks expense

Phil Jackson and MJ have both said the Knicks were by fair their toughest opponent in the 90s during the Bulls title years.......you don't need to win the series for it to be a rivalry......people talk about the Heat Knicks as one of the top rivalrys and we whooped them nearly every year in the playoffs

TopsyTurvy
12-27-2010, 04:41 AM
There's no rivalry there. The Knicks are playing well and so are the Bulls. The games were important regular season tests and both players and fans recognized that and acted accordingly.

abe_froman
12-27-2010, 04:58 AM
have they? if so,its news to me

ewing
12-27-2010, 05:11 AM
he was stating fact...mainly that the bulls missed a all star caliber player in both games. Something the knicks have had over the bulls is a mixture of luck and playing out of control good basketball...Knicks fans panties will probably be in a bunch for me saying this but 60%+ and 55%+ is luck no matter how you swing it. It isnt bad defense it isnt anything. Amare has been held in check and id love to see this knicks team try and keep up with a complete bulls team. An 8 point win twice isnt handled BY ANY means.

You know someone is full of **** when they try to quantify luck with a % range.

ChiSox219
12-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Noah shut down Amare in the first match up.

38 year old Kurt Thomas contained Amare in their second match up.

If the Knicks shoot 50%+ from beyond the arc in a 7 game series it will be a fantastic watch.

If not, a healthy Bulls team should cruise.

D-Leethal
12-27-2010, 05:29 AM

If the Knicks shoot 50%+ from beyond the arc in a 7 game series it will be a fantastic watch.

thats the beauty if having a star that owns the paint on offense, you can't contain him and the shooters, pick your poison, and there is no reason to think our shooters can't beat you when you leave them wide open

ChiSox219
12-27-2010, 05:33 AM
thats the beauty if having a star that owns the paint on offense, you can't contain him and the shooters, pick your poison, and there is no reason to think our shooters can't beat you when you leave them wide open

Bulls have had no trouble containing Amare, like I said, Kurt Thomas was able to do so by himself.

The Bulls are decent when it comes to defending the three, they gave up some good looks to the Knicks in both games though.

So, like I said, if the Knicks shoot 50% or better from 3 and the Bulls are healthy, it should be a great series.

29$JerZ
12-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Well Chicago's problem hasn't been the paint, it's the perimeter defense.
I don't see how Rose/Brewer/Korver/Bogans/Deng who are all solid defenders have such a terrible time guarding the 3.

NY is just a bad matchup for Chicago, not to mention Mike uses our 3 guys off the bench better than Tim has shown in Chicago. Would be a fun series nonetheless.

blams
12-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I think the bulls win a series in 6 if they have boozer and noah.
that said, the knicks definitely have our number so far.

lvlheaded
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Excuses are like *******s, everyones got one and they all stink. Injuries are a part of the game, as of now, the Knicks have beat the Bulls twice. Maybe when both teams have everyone healthy that will change, but at this second, the Knicks have had the Bulls number this season.

In a seven game series, anything can happen and it would definitely be a great series to watch. But lets stop making excuses and give credit where its due, the Knicks have played the Bulls well 2 times this year and got 2 wins out of it. Just give them credit for it and move on

chitownbulls
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
No it wouldn't. We beat the Lakers, you know, the team that has won the last 2 titles? We sure didn't go around gloating all over them saying the Bulls/Lakers rivalry is back and we can take them in a 7 game series. It was 1 regular season game. A W for the Bulls and an L for the Lakers.

Unlike you Knicks fans who were in here acting like you won the NBA title after 2 regular season wins :laugh2:

Its ok, I understand you guys haven't had much to cheer for or celebrate over the last 3+ decades. You can do whatever you want.

this, we've beaten top teams this year and we don't go around gloating like some lil *****. some of us actually came to recognize your victory and congratulated you. But half of you guys are acting like you just won an NBA title. Comeon...have some dignity, you guys can be excited but not jackasses

c smooth1810
12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Knicks fans amaze me.... the knicks HAVEN'T beaten the bulls healthy yet and bulls have had the harder schedule yet still better record. If healthy and thats a big if ( i know injuries happen) but in a playoff series with noah back bulls win hands down in 6

Knicks fans aren't used to even having a winning season (10 years?)so when they get an average team at best they run their mouths..... stop talking **** and just enjoy that you guys have a decent squad

nycericanguy
12-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I've lost some respect for SOME Bulls fans, before the games its all about how good the games will be, and how CHI is going to win and is on another level than NY. Fine, confidence is great, but then when they lose, then its "well NY shot the 3 too well"...lol. Like really? How about you not leave our shooters wide open then?...

Reminds me of a kid that I played with when i was little, he lost a game and threw the ball onto the street in a Sissy fit instead of just saying "good game".

SteBO
12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Knicks fans amaze me.... the knicks HAVEN'T beaten the bulls healthy yet and bulls have had the harder schedule yet still better record. If healthy and thats a big if ( i know injuries happen) but in a playoff series with noah back bulls win hands down in 6

Knicks fans aren't used to even having a winning season (10 years?)so when they get an average team at best they run their mouths..... stop talking **** and just enjoy that you guys have a decent squad

A win is a win. Injuries are part of the game as you mentioned in parenthesis. So give credit when credit is due.

Hustla23
12-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I like how everyone assumes that Noah would guarantee a Bulls victory.

It's not like there isn't the possibility that he could have played super ****** and made the Bulls lose by even more. :laugh2:

Hustla23
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Also, if we're gonna throw out the normalization excuse, the Bulls offensively rebounded at a way high rate. If that normalizes, then the Knicks win by 20.

So easy, isn't it?

Excuses are lame.

blahblahyoutoo
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
no rivalry unless either:

1. a fight breaks out in a game, or a very hard foul that causes tempers to flare
2. a playoff series that's close in every game that leads to a game 7

Slimsim
12-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I've lost some respect for SOME Bulls fans, before the games its all about how good the games will be, and how CHI is going to win and is on another level than NY. Fine, confidence is great, but then when they lose, then its "well NY shot the 3 too well"...lol. Like really? How about you not leave our shooters wide open then?...

Reminds me of a kid that I played with when i was little, he lost a game and threw the ball onto the street in a Sissy fit instead of just saying "good game".

I agree Losing much respect for Bulls fan. to much Excuses they beat good teams without boozer or Noah but when we beat them oh We didn't have our team healthy that's why we lost. :facepalm:

Cool007
12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Knicks vs Bulls is always a rivalry. It hasn't been big last decade coz of atleast 1 of thsese 2 teams being bad and haven't faced each other in playoffs in a LONG LONG time.

I give HUGE props to Knicks for winning both games. Even though Bulls were missing their 2nd best player in the first game and 3rd best player in the 2nd game, it still doesn't matter.

Knicks won both games so gotta give them all the credit. I still think Bulls win the series in a 7-game series if Both teams are healthy.

nycericanguy
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Knicks vs Bulls is always a rivalry. It hasn't been big last decade coz of atleast 1 of thsese 2 teams being bad and haven't faced each other in playoffs in a LONG LONG time.

I give HUGE props to Knicks for winning both games. Even though Bulls were missing their 2nd best player in the first game and 3rd best player in the 2nd game, it still doesn't matter.

Knicks won both games so gotta give them all the credit. I still think Bulls win the series in a 7-game series if Both teams are healthy.

you might be right, I do think CHI is slightly better than NY, although NY seems to cause matchup problems for CHI so it would def be a very good 7 game series. I think CHI might be better off just letting Amare get 40 and trying to slow down NY's perimeter players instead.

Of course if NY gets Melo then that changes everything =)

HOZ THE KNICK
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
knicks suck.. Pretenders

yeah and the kings is all that right?

HOZ THE KNICK
12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
i think the bulls win a series in 6 if they have boozer and noah.
That said, the knicks definitely have our number so far.

wouldn't you like to see what both rosters looks like heading into the playoffs before you make a bold prediction like that? Shitt happens.

DaBUU
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
imo there is no rivalry yet. The Knicks have only been good for about a month or so, while we've been a playoff squad. Knicks have had our number first couple meetings, this is true, but its only the first 2 games of the regular season. The seeds are being planted tho, especially like DRose jawing at Stat. Lets get through the season and hopefully meet for a series in the playoffs, then maybe we can start calling it a rivalry. And all the talk about Felton vs. Rose, seems to me Toney Douglas gives DRose the most problems.

knicks4life33
12-27-2010, 02:29 PM
See this is what makes having nyc basketball back

RZZZA
12-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Just because our teams have a rivalry doesnt mean the fans have to be jerks to eachother imo

NYKnicks4511
12-27-2010, 02:56 PM
no rivalry unless either:

1. a fight breaks out in a game, or a very hard foul that causes tempers to flare
2. a playoff series that's close in every game that leads to a game 7

Well Amar'e made Derrick Rose cry ... :p

pd1dish
12-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Injuries are just another excuse. Its part of the game and its something you gotta overcome when they approach.

so if you guys lost amare and then bulls the beat you, you wouldnt make the excuse and say that you didnt have your best player? give me a break

finalverse
12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The rivalry is nowhere close to what it use to be, but it's nice to see some emotion during the games now. The last 5ish years while the Knicks were dreadful that stadium was a bore. Now it has life in it and so does the games. I will give the Knicks credit (no excuses here). They beat the Bulls both games. Injuries happen but it's a part of the game. They could just have our number, with bad matchups. A win is a win. It was fun nonetheless.

Tony_Starks
12-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Nope. Rivalries are made in the playoffs. Maybe Chicago and Boston, but New York... nah.

kyubi256
12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
This is closer to a rivalry than the Knicks and Celtics or Heat. I can consider this to be a rivalry

ChiSox219
12-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Well Chicago's problem hasn't been the paint, it's the perimeter defense.
I don't see how Rose/Brewer/Korver/Bogans/Deng who are all solid defenders have such a terrible time guarding the 3.

NY is just a bad matchup for Chicago, not to mention Mike uses our 3 guys off the bench better than Tim has shown in Chicago. Would be a fun series nonetheless.

The Bulls aren't bad at defending the three, 9th in the league at .342 allowed. The Knicks have gotten a lot of good looks in their two games and knocked them down, but also made contested threes that they typically won't make.

I like how everyone assumes that Noah would guarantee a Bulls victory.

It's not like there isn't the possibility that he could have played super ****** and made the Bulls lose by even more. :laugh2:

With Noah, Amare would've played even worse (as seen in the first game) and we'd have more of offense attack. I don't think it guarantees a win in that second game but Noah brings a lot more to the table than Kurt Thomas.

And you saw first hand the kind of impact Boozer makes, so who knows how that first game turns out if he's in the lineup.

Also, if we're gonna throw out the normalization excuse, the Bulls offensively rebounded at a way high rate. If that normalizes, then the Knicks win by 20.

So easy, isn't it?

Excuses are lame.

The Knicks shoot .374 on 3PA (9th in the NBA), the Bulls allow .342 (9th in the NBA)

Knicks have shot .608 on 3PA in the two games against Chicago.

The Knicks give up offensive rebounds 27.8% of the time (22nd in the league), Bulls grab offensive rebounds at 29.6% clip. (5th in the league)

The Bulls offensive rebound rate was 30.9% in game 2, slightly above their season average and against a team that is well below the league average. How do you expect that to "normalize"? Based on the numbers the result was exactly what it should have been.

jtsunami
12-27-2010, 03:50 PM
It could be a rivalry, but not yet. Rivalries aren't just two teams playing each other. There needs to be nastiness between the two teams. Like '02 Kings-Lakers. Or '96 Knicks-Bulls.

We saw a glimpse of what it could be with the altercation between Rose and Amare. But as of now, no. What would probably make it a rivalry is if they faced each other in the playoffs.

The Bulls biggest rivalry right now if probably the Celtics. Just because Noah and Garnett hate each other. The '08 series. The Bulls always seem to play the Celtics tough, but can't quite overcome them. That's what makes it a rivalry. And one year, the Bulls will get the best of the Celtics, be it this year or the future.

knicks4life33
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
this will always be a rival between the fans

nycericanguy
12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
The Bulls aren't bad at defending the three, 9th in the league at .342 allowed. The Knicks have gotten a lot of good looks in their two games and knocked them down, but also made contested threes that they typically won't make.

With Noah, Amare would've played even worse (as seen in the first game) and we'd have more of offense attack. I don't think it guarantees a win in that second game but Noah brings a lot more to the table than Kurt Thomas.

And you saw first hand the kind of impact Boozer makes, so who knows how that first game turns out if he's in the lineup.

The Knicks shoot .374 on 3PA (9th in the NBA), the Bulls allow .342 (9th in the NBA)

Knicks have shot .608 on 3PA in the two games against Chicago.

The Knicks give up offensive rebounds 27.8% of the time (22nd in the league), Bulls grab offensive rebounds at 29.6% clip. (5th in the league)

The Bulls offensive rebound rate was 30.9% in game 2, slightly above their season average and against a team that is well below the league average. How do you expect that to "normalize"? Based on the numbers the result was exactly what it should have been.

so both teams have to play their averages games at 100% full strength or it doesn't count?...lol

gimme a break. Fine NY promises to shoot 37% from 3 the next time we play, any 3 we make after that won't count ok? would that make u feel better or make it more fair?

we'll also make sure all the CHI players get 5 star treatment at a 5 star hotel and spa the night before and that CHI has ZERO injuries, and that they have 3 days off before they play NY, o and of course the game will be in CHI.

ChiSox219
12-27-2010, 03:58 PM
so both teams have to play their averages games at 100% full strength or it doesn't count?...lol

gimme a break. Fine NY promises to shoot 37% from 3 the next time we play, any 3 we make after that won't count ok?

I'm not saying that at all.

I'm merely pointing out that the Knicks 3p% is far more likely to decline than the Bulls Oreb%.

The games counted, the Knicks won both. Hurray for regular season wins!

mikantsass
12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Nope. Rivalries are made in the playoffs. Maybe Chicago and Boston, but New York... nah.

So let me get this straight. The majority of Chicago fans are saying that the only reason NY has beat the Bulls twice this year is because of their injuries. Yet KG's injury two years ago had nothing to do with the Boston/Chicago playoff series?

And FYI... ask any Celtics fan and they will tell you. There is no rivalry between the Celtics and Bulls

jtsunami
12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
So let me get this straight. The majority of Chicago fans are saying that the only reason NY has beat the Bulls twice this year is because of their injuries. Yet KG's injury two years ago had nothing to do with the Boston/Chicago playoff series?

And FYI... ask any Celtics fan and they will tell you. There is no rivalry between the Celtics and Bulls

Cool.

SteBO
12-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Bulls-Celtics Celtics-Knicks and Bulls-Knicks
These are all not rivalries. The Bulls wouldn't even be in that series two years ago had KG been healthy, and the Knicks have stunk for a decade. No rivalries here.

Tony_Starks
12-27-2010, 05:29 PM

I don't make excuses for losses, the Knicks won. No excuses for the Bulls, no excuses for the Celtics in the playoffs. Im saying rivalry in the sense that the Bulls and Celtics have actually met in the playoffs and had an epic series. Whatever the Knicks are doing in the regular season is awesome but IMO regular season meetings do not constitute a rivalry.

Cool007
12-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Yeah and Bulls were missing Luol Deng in that series as well. I can say the same that if Deng was playing in that series, Bulls would have won against Celtics in that series.

It goes both ways.

If you didn't know, almost everyone picked Celtics to win the series and pretty sure 70%-80% of them thought it would be over in 6 games.

So when you look at the context, yes.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Do you ever post where you don't bash the bulls? Like ever? I mean your hate is very clear, based upon your recent ban and the usernames you made after, but why do you still continue to just bash anything about the bulls, as opposed to actually adding something meaningful to a discussion? Over half of your posts this month that are NBA related are aimed directly at the Bulls. You can't have a single discussion on basketball without letting the world know how much you hate the bulls, seriously it gets real old with you. Grow up and learn how to converse with people.

goose14741
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
ya they renewed it obv, both teams made giant steps this year, not going to say whose better or anything but this rivalry is def back

goose14741
12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Do you ever post where you don't bash the bulls? Like ever? I mean your hate is very clear, based upon your recent ban and the usernames you made after, but why do you still continue to just bash anything about the bulls, as opposed to actually adding something meaningful to a discussion? You can't have a single discussion on basketball without letting the world know how much you hate the bulls, seriously it gets real old with you.

ya thats annoying, i hate the bulls for 100000000000 reasons and i keep them to myself, i just got dont getting ridiculed in my last forum for no reason, i dont bring down other teams i just bring my own team up. some ppl dont understand that. nut you need to chill you knoo

Pierzynski4Prez
12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
ya thats annoying, i hate the bulls for 100000000000 reasons and i keep them to myself, i just got dont getting ridiculed in my last forum for no reason, i dont bring down other teams i just bring my own team up. some ppl dont understand that. nut you need to chill you knoo

yea he got banned, and kept creating new profiles with names like bullsfansrgay or bullsfansrhomos

There's some immature people on this site, and then there's people like that

DaBear
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Regardless of the last two meetings, I still think the Bulls are a better team. They played us once without Boozer, and once without Noah. A healthy Bulls team is better.

kingkenny01
12-27-2010, 06:44 PM
no one factored in the c-melo factor

kyleh1987
12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
question-is the rivalry re-newed
answer- yes. two young devoloping teams who will compete and get better over the next decade. guarentee it will be an epic series over the coming years.

mikantsass
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
yea he got banned, and kept creating new profiles with names like bullsfansrgay or bullsfansrhomos

There's some immature people on this site, and then there's people like that

Well it was a bulls guy who banned me. It was only appropriate...

Im not bashing the Bulls. My point was that 95% of the Bulls supporters in this discussion are saying that the only reason the Knicks are 2-0 vs the Bulls this year is because of Bull injuries. And also that a rivalry stems from postseason meetings.

So I was simply pointing out the contradiction that all of you encounter within many many many of all of your (Bulls fans) posts.

You guys love to go back aand talk about the playoffs 2 years ago where you took the Celtics to 7. Completely ignored was the fact that the Celtics were missing their best player at the time. But to you guys, it doesnt matter. All that mattered was the Bulls took them to 7...

Fast forward to this season. Knicks are 2-0 against CHI. But the first thing that gets brought up is the Bulls injuries. You cant argue one way on one issue and the other way on the other issue

I really truely had no intention of bashing the Bulls TEAM. I just was pointing out the contradiction of 90% of the posts here in this discussion.

Kashmir13579
12-27-2010, 07:26 PM

So easy, isn't it?

Excuses are lame.

:box: get em!

RZZZA
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not making any excuses at all: We should have had better perimeter defense and played more disciplined basketball, maybe then we would have won.

Noah doesn't factor too much into it for me because we should have done the aforementioned things whether Noah is there or not, anyway.

I mean, 21 turnovers? That's the definition of un-disciplined basketball. That alone killed us; and it had nothing to do with injuries.

Kashmir13579
12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not making any excuses at all: We should have had better perimeter defense and played more disciplined basketball, maybe then we would have won.

Noah doesn't factor too much into it for me because we should have done the aforementioned things whether Noah is there or not, anyway.

I mean, 21 turnovers? That's the definition of un-disciplined basketball. That alone killed us; and it had nothing to do with injuries.

Thank you :clap:

Sox72
12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Do you ever post where you don't bash the bulls? Like ever? I mean your hate is very clear, based upon your recent ban and the usernames you made after, but why do you still continue to just bash anything about the bulls, as opposed to actually adding something meaningful to a discussion? Over half of your posts this month that are NBA related are aimed directly at the Bulls. You can't have a single discussion on basketball without letting the world know how much you hate the bulls, seriously it gets real old with you. Grow up and learn how to converse with people.

:clap:

Well it was a bulls guy who banned me. It was only appropriate...

You are a child.

Sox72
12-27-2010, 07:47 PM
It'd be great for the NBA if the rivalry was back. And while I do feel like it's getting there, it will probably take a playoff series or two to make it a true rivalry. Though, the way we've played against them this year, I'm not sure I'd want to play them in the playoffs.

lvlheaded
12-27-2010, 08:28 PM
I dont get the people saying things like congrats you won in the regular season? Everyone remembers that its regular season wins that get you into the playoffs right? I know that once you are there the regular season games mean nothing, but I dont think you can say "oh we dont care about losing in the regular season." because these are games you have to win to MAKE the playoffs.

That said, it seems like at the very least the fans of the two teams have a rivalry going on. And I stand by what I have said in my few posts in this thread, as of now, as things are today and based off the two games these teams have played against each other, I give the Knicks the edge. But come playoff time, all of that may change

chicago lulz
12-27-2010, 09:09 PM
arguing why one's team lost is like arguing why one has died. Regardless, what's done is done, and we have to L's added to our standing because of it.

you can make mention of injuries and such, but it's comparing a common cold to cancer (depending on who's injured) as far as extent.

regardless, they beat us two times. Two times we had our 'chances' to get back in or take the game (especially the Christmas game, if they ended it after the third quarter.)

both are competitive and capable teams. neither is elite yet.

is there a renewal of a rivalry? i don't think it ever died. rivalry between teams should last, and they should last based on the history that was laid down before them. So yeah, the rivalry/idea of a rivalry in a history sense is still there, and if games between the two teams get more physical, and there's more jawing at each other, crowd interaction, etc, then yeah I would say they're fueling the rivalry.

I believe my Bulls team is capable of beating the Knicks, and my expectations is that they should (please note that expectations and actuality don't neccesarily go hand in hand). That's not to say the Knicks suck or take away from the fact that they put together a playoff contending team over the summer even when missing out on Lebron. Amare was a great signing (regardless of his contract) and has proven so.

If i had to throw out an excuse as to why we lost the two times, I would say the Bulls were outplayed, and I know the Bulls can play better than that.

ManningToTyree
12-27-2010, 09:32 PM
It never stoped being a rivalry.

Apophis
12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
arguing why one's team lost is like arguing why one has died. Regardless, what's done is done, and we have to L's added to our standing because of it.

you can make mention of injuries and such, but it's comparing a common cold to cancer (depending on who's injured) as far as extent.

regardless, they beat us two times. Two times we had our 'chances' to get back in or take the game (especially the Christmas game, if they ended it after the third quarter.)

is there a renewal of a rivalry? i don't think it ever died. rivalry between teams should last, and they should last based on the history that was laid down before them. So yeah, the rivalry/idea of a rivalry in a history sense is still there, and if games between the two teams get more physical, and there's more jawing at each other, crowd interaction, etc, then yeah I would say they're fueling the rivalry.

I believe my Bulls team is capable of beating the Knicks, and my expectations is that they should (please note that expectations and actuality don't neccesarily go hand in hand). That's not to say the Knicks suck or take away from the fact that they put together a playoff contending team over the summer even when missing out on Lebron. Amare was a great signing (regardless of his contract) and has proven so.

If i had to throw out an excuse as to why we lost the two times, I would say the Bulls were outplayed, and I know the Bulls can play better than that.

Very good post man...

pd1dish
12-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I dont get the people saying things like congrats you won in the regular season? Everyone remembers that its regular season wins that get you into the playoffs right? I know that once you are there the regular season games mean nothing, but I dont think you can say "oh we dont care about losing in the regular season." because these are games you have to win to MAKE the playoffs.

That said, it seems like at the very least the fans of the two teams have a rivalry going on. And I stand by what I have said in my few posts in this thread, as of now, as things are today and based off the two games these teams have played against each other, I give the Knicks the edge. But come playoff time, all of that may change

thats obviously true, but for those that are saying it (not me btw), i think theyre under the assumption that the bulls are going to win the division anyways, so that means the bulls will at worst have a 4 seed

Kashmir13579
12-28-2010, 12:45 AM
It'd be great for the NBA if the rivalry was back. And while I do feel like it's getting there, it will probably take a playoff series or two to make it a true rivalry. Though, the way we've played against them this year, I'm not sure I'd want to play them in the playoffs.

lol. your the first bulls fan IN THE WORLD to say that. :confused:

way to be logical bro, thats frowned upon here.

mikantsass
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Bingo!

nycericanguy
12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
thats obviously true, but for those that are saying it (not me btw), i think theyre under the assumption that the bulls are going to win the division anyways, so that means the bulls will at worst have a 4 seed

yea CHI is basically guaranteed home court in the first round and at worst a 4 seed, they play in, by far the worst division in the NBA. 40 wins would probably get them the 4 seed so if NY gets the 5 NY will have to win in CHI.

S-Dot
12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
rivalries can't be renewed in the regular season. Best of 7 series rebuilds rivalries.

DaBUU
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM

well said. injuries happen to everyone and the Knicks are a good 3 point shooting team, no fluke. Bulls need to play better next game, plain and simple.