PDA

View Full Version : Nash for MVP?

poleandreel
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
If Nash can get the Suns the 5th seed in the playoffs, he should win it.

The guy is putting up some of the better numbers of his career:

17 PPG 10.5 RPG 52% FG 116 defensive rating (highest of career)

The guy is doing this without stoudamire, and only has a collection of role players. With the exception of grant hill, barely anyone on this team could actually start on another team.

He wills them to wins night in and night out. His defense looks much better this year and this team is in the west. They are trading away all of his teammates and making him work with this stuff mid season while trying to make the playoffs.

If you take him off of the suns this year, they probably get 10-15 wins.

knicks4life33
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Is this thread from 3 years ago

Khalifa21
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
The Suns are 13-15... No.

m26555
12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
The Suns are going to have enough trouble making the playoffs; no way they get the fifth seed. Because of that, I don't think there's any way Nash wins it.

abe_froman
12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
wtf?

poleandreel
12-26-2010, 06:14 PM
The Suns are 13-15... No.

apparently you can't read

bholly
12-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Nash has 10 RPG? Think you mean assists.

Also, there's pretty much no way. I think a lot of the voters look at the big picture with this sort of thing now, and few think Nash should be a 3-time MVP.
Even if your premise was right, them getting to the 5th seed would be super tough. I can't really see it happening.
And by the way, CP3 is currently doing pretty much what you described. Team were bad without him (.451 last year), but now he's got them back up to the 6th seed, on the back of similar stats. He'd get it ahead of Nash.

Khalifa21
12-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Apparently you can't comprehend the fact that a team that will struggle to finish over .500 will never produce an MVP...

black1605
12-26-2010, 06:21 PM

The guy is doing this without stoudamire, and only has a collection of role players. With the exception of grant hill, barely anyone on this team could actually start on another team.

He wills them to wins night in and night out. His defense looks much better this year and this team is in the west. They are trading away all of his teammates and making him work with this stuff mid season while trying to make the playoffs.

You want a LOW defensive rating, so in other words, he is having the worst defensive year of his career.

Not even a top ten MVP candidate.

abe_froman
12-26-2010, 06:24 PM
players on losing or even .500 teams never win the award under any circumstance,and there to many players that are putting up equal or better offerings on good teams for him to be considered

also higher the d rtg=the worse you are,you want lower numbers not higher...also you mean 10 apg,not rpg

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-26-2010, 06:26 PM
not a chance

Byronicle
12-26-2010, 06:29 PM
no he wont win, there are plenty of worthy candidates for the award. i love nash though

bholly
12-26-2010, 06:35 PM
lol, I didn't even notice the defensive rating.

Guess that's that.

29$JerZ
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Wouldn't this apply for Amar'e instead who has no Nash and is putting up insane numbers across the board while giving the Knicks an 18-12 record?

DeyAce
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
No way!

Supa
12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Stoudamire is having a better season without him.

---

ElMarroAfamado
12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
if The Suns even make the Playoffs I think Nash should be in the conversation. This team is horrible and they have nobody and are never getting to the level of years passed. Steve Nash is great and maybe Grant Hill besides that the Suns have nobody and they pretty much consist of a bunch of chuckers buying into Alvins system that is not going to take them anywhere...i think its about time it catches up to em...

llemon
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
For that to be remotely possible, Stevie has to seriously pick up his game.

So far this season, he hasn't ben playing so well, and has obviously lost at least a step since his MVP days.

And Nash is my favorite player in the league.

gcoll
12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Stoudamire is having a better season without him.

---
Not really.

About the same. Shooting a bit lower of a percentage overall from what he usually does, but his scoring is up a bit due to being the focal point of the offense.

In the second half of last season, Stoudemire played MVP caliber basketball. Too bad the Suns didn't resign him, but our owner is a ********.

llemon
12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Not really.

About the same. Shooting a bit lower of a percentage overall from what he usually does, but his scoring is up a bit due to being the focal point of the offense.

Assists up, as are his TOs

gcoll
12-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Assists up, as are his TOs

Well...without Nash, he is going to see more of the ball.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2010, 07:16 PM
simple answer-No way

gcoll
12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh. And never answered the thread.

Nash will not, and shouldn't win MVP. He's having a good year. He's not quite where he was at skill-wise in his MVP years, but he is still a fantastic point guard.

With the Suns struggles, and quality of other players in the league, Nash is not in the MVP conversation.

thekmp211
12-26-2010, 07:21 PM
he won't win it, nor should he. but he deserves even more credit than ever if he carries this team to the playoffs. it would be one of his finer accomplishments.

the more i think about it, the vc/gortat/pietrus trade was a great pickup for them. those guys could all really help.

llemon
12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
he won't win it, nor should he. but he deserves even more credit than ever if he carries this team to the playoffs. it would be one of his finer accomplishments.

the more i think about it, the vc/gortat/pietrus trade was a great pickup for them. those guys could all really help.

They need Robin Lopez to get back into top shape.

Also, Nash seems to be overdribbling a lot.

Mishmin
12-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I can think of dozens of players ahead of steve nash. Come on now, is this for real?

Mcnabb_vision
12-26-2010, 07:43 PM
****** no

Mishmin
12-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Also, his squad just lost to the clippers..

masalex1205
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Na

poleandreel
12-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I can think of dozens of players ahead of steve nash. Come on now, is this for real?

HOLY **** READ THE ****ING THREAD. I SAID "IF" HE GETS THEM TO THE 5TH SEED...

i KNOW THEY ARE A BAD TEAM. THATS WHY I SAID IF HE CAN DO THAT...WILL HE BE MVP?

i dont undertsand how people cant read

Mishmin
12-26-2010, 07:55 PM

i KNOW THEY ARE A BAD TEAM. THATS WHY I SAID IF HE CAN DO THAT...WILL HE BE MVP?

The answer is no, my friend.

abe_froman
12-26-2010, 07:57 PM

BECAUSE PLAYERS ON BAD TEAMS DONT WIN MVP lol

how is it hard,if your great on a 5th seeded team you dont get the mvp because voters would rather reward good players on better teams.nash himself has benefited from this by getting his mvps over better/more deserving players just because phx was a top 3 team in the west in those years and they werent

Iron24th
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Nash has 10 RPG? Think you mean assists.

Also, there's pretty much no way. I think a lot of the voters look at the big picture with this sort of thing now, and few think Nash should be a 3-time MVP.
Even if your premise was right, them getting to the 5th seed would be super tough. I can't really see it happening.
And by the way, CP3 is currently doing pretty much what you described. Team were bad without him (.451 last year), but now he's got them back up to the 6th seed, on the back of similar stats. He'd get it ahead of Nash.

Loool I was about to scream when I saw the "10.5 RPG" too.

thekmp211
12-26-2010, 08:02 PM
They need Robin Lopez to get back into top shape.

Also, Nash seems to be overdribbling a lot.

id consider starting lopez and gortat together. have frye come off the bench for some threes.

i dont watch the suns enough, but if i had to guess the over dribbling might have to do with having no other ball handlers on the roster.

Crackadalic
12-26-2010, 08:05 PM
lol at this thread you have to win 50 games or more to be at least in the convo for mvp so no

Bruno
12-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Even if he deserved it, even if the Suns had one of the best records in the west, the league would never hand Nash a third MVP. Not while the other great players from his era like KG, Shaq, Dirk, and Bryant only have one.

ClayMatthews
12-26-2010, 08:19 PM
No he shouldnt.

llemon
12-26-2010, 08:19 PM
id consider starting lopez and gortat together. have frye come off the bench for some threes.

i dont watch the suns enough, but if i had to guess the over dribbling might have to do with having no other ball handlers on the roster.

Nash is the guy that is supposed to have the ball in his hands.

But where that dribbling was once creating shots taken in 7 seconds or less, it is now dribbling that is running down the clock aimlessly.

You rarely see him drive the baseline through the lane to cause some mismatches.

And Steve's 3-point shot has been off somewhat.

I think Steve and his coach need to take a serious look at what's going on.

And again, Steve Nash is my favorite player in the NBA. Spunky little white boy with a big heart and a huge cajones.

Kashmir13579
12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Not really.

In the second half of last season, Stoudemire played MVP caliber basketball. Too bad the Suns didn't resign him, but our owner is a ********.

His stats are almost exactly the same. thats not a bad thing. your right that his PPG is up a little bit due to his higher USG%; but more importantly, his eFG%, PER, and TS% are all where they should be and none of those stats would be inflated from higher USG%. Amar'e is doing what everyone said he couldn't do (play at an extremely high level without Nash)

Kashmir13579
12-26-2010, 08:25 PM
simple answer-No way

lol

i felt like i was tripping when i saw this thread.

king4day
12-26-2010, 08:32 PM
The Suns are going to have enough trouble making the playoffs; no way they get the fifth seed. Because of that, I don't think there's any way Nash wins it.

This. Gonna take hell to get in let alone make the 5th seed.

NYKnickFanatic
12-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Nash is averaging 10 rebounds a game?

yoseppii12
12-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't this apply for Amar'e instead who has no Nash and is putting up insane numbers across the board while giving the Knicks an 18-12 record?

this. how could you give it to nash when amare is counterpart is killing it. Some people said Amare made Nash better others the other way around. Until Nash has a better record and better numbers then no. And Amare's team was **** before he came. Now they're 18-12, let alone theyve had one of the easier schedules thus far but at this point, no way NAsh.

llemon
12-26-2010, 08:56 PM
this. how could you give it to nash when amare is counterpart is killing it. Some people said Amare made Nash better others the other way around. Until Nash has a better record and better numbers then no. And Amare's team was **** before he came. Now they're 18-12, let alone theyve had one of the easier schedules thus far but at this point, no way NAsh.

You are ignoring the season when Amare, as a Sun, missed the entire season, and the Suns played incredibly.

Got as close to the Finals as they ever did with Amare.

cargobox
12-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Kevin Durant should win MVP, oh wait he's not better than LeBron or Kobe.
But going back to the topic, Steve can't win MVP... I don't know who should

Raph12
12-26-2010, 10:37 PM

No chance and your arguement is too flawed for me to even want to breakdown...

dodie53
12-26-2010, 11:24 PM
if nash dunks in a game,
he'll win his 3rd mvp
hehe

gcoll
12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
His stats are almost exactly the same. thats not a bad thing. your right that his PPG is up a little bit due to his higher USG%; but more importantly, his eFG%, PER, and TS% are all where they should be and none of those stats would be inflated from higher USG%. Amar'e is doing what everyone said he couldn't do (play at an extremely high level without Nash)
Just as many people who said Amare couldn't play without Nash, said that Nash is made by the players around him. Both are wrong.

Amare and Nash can do it without one another, but together they compliment each other extremely well.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Isn't defensive rating better the lower the number is?

NetsPaint
12-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Sadly their record doesn't give him the recognition he deserves. Him and Paul are the top 2 PGs in the league imo. Yeah, these guards in their 20s score 20+ and are fast, but none lead a team through passing like him except maybe Paul, and please don't even bring Rondo into this. Nash is also a better shooter than any guard in the league.