PDA

View Full Version : Should a head coach know every player on his team? Or is that the assistant's job

LTBaByyy
12-26-2010, 05:47 PM
http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/benchwarmer_mason_spreading_christmas_TDAjunLuRreB ozHtSg2C4J

With Douglas hurt there isnt another back up point guard on the Knicks

Roger Mason feels like he hasnt got his chance yet and always finds his shot during the season not the pre season where coaches evaluate, Mason has been playing PG in practice but D'antoni doesmt play him

A reporter asked D'antoni about Mason and he replied "Who?"

Hahahahaha I mean Mason does have a point he always finds his shot in the middle of the season then goes off and makes everything the rest of the season like his good years in Washington and a couple in San Antonio

Should the Head Coach know his players or is it the assistants responsibilities and the head coach just coaches whoever is on the floor?

P.s. I dont think D'antoni knows how to use his players, he plays Shawne Williams over Randolph

Doesnt play Mosgov

And if he knew how to execute Mason, he could be a deadly shooter on your team

knicks4life33
12-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Dude put this in the knicks forumn

LTBaByyy
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Dude put this in the knicks forumn

If it was for the Knicks I wouldve put Dantoni

Im talking about how he didnt even know his player was on his team

Im saying should a NBA coach not the knicks, km now the players on his team

29$JerZ
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/benchwarmer_mason_spreading_christmas_TDAjunLuRreB ozHtSg2C4J

Roger Mason feels like he hasnt got his chance yet and always finds his shot during the season not the pre season where coaches evaluate, Mason has been playing PG in practice but D'antoni doesmt play him

Hahahahaha I mean Mason does have a point he always finds his shot in the middle of the season then goes off and makes everything the rest of the season like his good years in Washington and a couple in San Antonio

Should the Head Coach know his players or is it the assistants responsibilities and the head coach just coaches whoever is on the floor?

P.s. I dont think D'antoni knows how to use his players, he plays Shawne Williams over Randolph

Doesnt play Mosgov

Look at Mason's shooting percentage this season, its atrocious. He played himself out of the rotation. Mike gave him a lot of chances early on and he failed.

Williams outplayed Randolph in practice, he hits his shots and rebounds/defends like Randolph was suppose too.

Mike does know every player...

nyanks79
12-26-2010, 06:04 PM
You really think the coach dosent know the players on his team? Like he dosent know the guys name. im pretty sure Mason made those comments a week or 2 ago and then the Knicks won 2 in a row so Berman had to find something negative to write.

Byronicle
12-26-2010, 06:07 PM
i think that YES they should and every coach knows their player, they all go out together to events and have dinner.

in this case D'Antoni is probably just pissed off at Mason's lack of production, you are reading it the wrong way

thekmp211
12-26-2010, 06:08 PM
im pretty sure d'antoni knows who roger mason is...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Who cares??

Mason sucks, he's nobody that's why D'Antoni said"who".

LTBaByyy
12-26-2010, 06:27 PM
You really think the coach dosent know the players on his team? Like he dosent know the guys name. im pretty sure Mason made those comments a week or 2 ago and then the Knicks won 2 in a row so Berman had to find something negative to write.

Then why would he say who is that? To a reporter, knowing he would put it in the paper

Head Coaches should know their players

29$JerZ
12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Then why would he say who is that? To a reporter, knowing he would put it in the paper

Mike is known for his bad jokes.
He does stuff like this often actually.

ewing
12-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Doesnt play Mosgov

Come on man, really. First yes a coach should know his players. Secondly, I'm pretty sure Mike D'antoni know who Roger Mason is. As for Randolph- the Knicks are 15-4 since he left the rotation and he was terrible when he played. On the other hand, Williams is 15-22 from downtown this year, can play multiple positions and doesn't make mistakes on the floor. Mike knows his players its why the knicks have an excellent record with decent talant.

Mozgov also had huge difficulties when he played and Amare has been a dominate force since being moved to the 5 and being surrounded by more shooters. Mike knows he players and he knows his team's weak spots. He is also smart enough to play to his strenghts instead of tring to plug holes by putting lesser players on the floor.

Btw the 15-22 from downtown is not a misprint for Williams. He also doesn't have a game with more then 1 turnover since entering the rotation.

Sorry to turn this into a Knicks forum but i just think the example is such a bad one that I had to respond

Iodine
12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Look, I love Roger, I might tatoo his face on my scrotum, but he has sucked *** this year

thekmp211
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM

when he said who? he meant -- "yeah, no. that guy is terrible, we tried it already,and honestly im upset that you were even dumb enough to suggest him as an alternative."

Hawkeye15
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM
If a coach honestly can't recite his roster (unless its 2 minutes after the Orlando mega trade for example), he should be fired.
I think Mike D was joking around. Of course he knows who Roger Mason is

Hawkize31
12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Lou Piniella did this all the time with the Cubs. He took out Mike Fontenot once after he hit a HR because Lou forgot he hit the HR. And there was a pitcher we used to have that Lou only knew as "the rule 5 kid." Very embarassing.

SchyGuy11
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
absolutely the head coach should know all of his players

Sixerlover
12-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Are you serious? Of course a coach should know his entire roster. It's less than 15 people, and you have to know how to utilize everyone of them specifically. The randomest basketball-related question I've ever seen.

td0tsfinest
12-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I would think the Head Coach knows every player on his roster. Its not that difficult to know the names of 14 guys on your team.

But I do remember when Sam Mitchell was the coach of the Raptors. He would call Calderon "Young Rook" and when Bargnani came over, he was known as "Big Rook". And I remember Triano saying something the line of "I don't know if he actually didn't know their names at start or if it was part of his you're a nobody in this league, until you make a name for yourself "

masalex1205
12-26-2010, 07:53 PM
we must be struggling to come up w/ thread ideas on PSD

Crackadalic
12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Mason has suck so much this year. i would forget who he was too

LTBaByyy
12-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Are you serious? Of course a coach should know his entire roster. It's less than 15 people, and you have to know how to utilize everyone of them specifically. The randomest basketball-related question I've ever seen.

You might wanna read the opening post before you comment

D'antoni didnt know who Roger Mason was

ink
12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
You might wanna read the opening post before you comment

D'antoni didnt know who Roger Mason was

And you might want to take things a little less literally. Here's the quote:

When asked whether he'd play Mason because of his Christmas heroics against his former team, D'Antoni responded: "Who?"

It was the end of the article about Mason and D'Antoni was making the point that he is freezing him out.

This is a pretty lame thread and it's not the first you've started. Please think about whether something is thread-worthy before starting new threads. There are already lots of other threads for you to comment in.