PDA

View Full Version : LeBron: Contraction good for the league

newbs001
12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
LeBron James seemingly weighs merits of contraction

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun Sentinel
9:45 p.m. EST, December 23, 2010

PHOENIX — To LeBron James, the attraction of Saturday's Christmas Day game at Staples Center is not as much Miami Heat vs. Los Angeles Lakers as it is having so much star power in one place.

He said that's what made the NBA such a special place in the '80s, when just about every roster was loaded.

"You look back at it in the '80s," he said before Thursday night's game at US Airways Center against the Phoenix Suns, "you had probably 10 teams that had two or three All-Stars on one team, at least. You go from Portland, you go of course to the Bulls, the Lakers, Detroit, Boston, Houston."

James then offered an inventory of stars on each of those teams, before adding, "but it only happens every now and then now."

Text alerts: Get Miami Heat news on your phone

The Heat, of course, have that, with James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, as do the Lakers, with Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

Others? No so much.

It was then pointed out to James that the league had far fewer teams back then.

"That's why it was great," he said. "That's what I'm saying."

Asked if he was suggesting contraction, as has been offered as a possibility from Commissioner David Stern amid the league's contentious negotiations for a new collective-bargaining agreement, James said, "That's not my job as a player, but that's why the league was so great."

He then essentially headed down that path in front of the assembled pregame media.

"Just imagine if you could take Kevin Love off Minnesota and add him to another team," he said. "Or, looking at some of the teams that's not that great, you take Brook Lopez or you take Devin Harris off these teams that's not that good right now and add 'em to a team that could be really good.

"I'm not saying, 'Let's take New Jersey, let's take Minnesota out of the league.' But, hey you guys are not stupid. I'm not stupid. I know what would be great for the league."

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@SunSentinel.com and can be followed at http://twitter.com/iraheatbeat.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-lebron-james-s122310,0,2104141.story

heatking
12-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Lets get ready to rumble! Lebron hate coming in 3, 2, 1.

Jonathan2323
12-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Good for competition, not financially.

avrpatsfan
12-23-2010, 11:43 PM
I actually agree with Lebron.

Master Mind
12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
LeDouchebag. now he wants Cavaliers to not exist

And he comes out swinging :box:

bholly
12-23-2010, 11:50 PM
This is extremely standard. It's almost a truism now that the league would be more competitive and have better teams if there were less teams. LBJ doesn't deserve hate just for saying what is obvious, and has been said by dozens before him.

Bruno
12-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Bold comment by LeBron. Takes a lot of ****s to come out and say that.

Flash3
12-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Lebron should stop talking to the media. This will probably be taken way ! out of context.

edit: interesting choice of teams by lebron.

AntiG
12-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I was just saying this about New Orleans the other day.

BaustinSali08
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
What are his views on North Korea?........

Why do we care what he thinks the league should do.

Khri
12-24-2010, 12:12 AM
He's right, why would you want teams like the Clippers to even play?

sep11ie
12-24-2010, 12:13 AM
LeBron was like four in the 80s

m26555
12-24-2010, 12:15 AM
I like how he singles out the Timberwolves and Nets and then says he isn't saying to take Minnesota and New Jersey out of the league. :laugh2:

AntiG
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Good for competition, not financially.

Actually it would be good for the league financially. The operations and personnel costs themselves for several of these teams are higher than the weak profits they bring in.

black1605
12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Every fan SHOULD want contraction, but no one wants their team to be contracted.

kozelkid
12-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I like how he singles out the Timberwolves and Nets and then says he isn't saying to take Minnesota and New Jersey out of the league. :laugh2:

No kidding. Very douchebag, but not surprising from him. I mean, in reality, I agree with him. Contraction is good, but he needs to shut the **** up. It's comments like these that make so many people hate him. It's not his business. And then to specifically point out those 2 teams is just such a dick move.

sep11ie
12-24-2010, 12:18 AM
And what he meant to say was, "yea, if u take Devin Harris off the Nets and Kevin Love off the Wolves and put them on the Heat, that would be great for the league!".

Sox72
12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I agree with him. However, his statements just have this feel of "quit picking on me for going to Miami" to them.

x45x
12-24-2010, 12:23 AM
and what he meant to say was, "yea, if u take devin harris off the nets and kevin love off the wolves and put them on the heat, that would be great for the league!".

lol:)

x45x
12-24-2010, 12:25 AM
seriously tho good if my team can get better players bad if my team dissappears

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
I dont agree with him, but I like his point though. Imagine every single game being competitive and every team having a few stars.

But i think eventually the talent will spread out to every team with the draft. Like if the Clippers get a high pick they will be not only an extremely fun team to watch, but they would be a very competitive team after a year (like the Thunder). Same goes for the T Wolves, Warriors, Wizards, Nets, 76ers, and a few more. They just need to draft correctly and not throw money at every possible player (like the knicks a few years back)

MTar786
12-24-2010, 12:28 AM
lebron speaks of the 80's like he was there. i dont remember every team having 4 superstars/HOFs back then either. the lakers and celtics were the top two teams of the 80's and the lakers had magic, and old kareem and an up and coming james worthy. if lebrons considers that 3 super stars then the celtics of today have 6 super stars on their team and 4 HOF's

kozelkid
12-24-2010, 12:31 AM
I dont agree with him, but I like his point though. Imagine every single game being competitive and every team having a few stars.

But i think eventually the talent will spread out to every team with the draft. Like if the Clippers get a high pick they will be not only an extremely fun team to watch, but they would be a very competitive team after a year (like the Thunder). Same goes for the T Wolves, Warriors, Wizards, Nets, 76ers, and a few more. They just need to draft correctly and not throw money at every possible player (like the knicks a few years back)

That's just not realistic.
In reality, cutting some of the teams in the league is a great thing imo. There are just teams out there that really haven't done anything and there are owners out there that have no desire to improve their teams. I think cutting the league down 4 teams or so is not such a bad idea.
My only problem with what Lebron said is after specifically mentioning teams that needed to be cut. It was kinda obvious and very douchebag and even stupid on his part. I'm really starting to wonder how idiotic his publicist must be.

Stuckey#3
12-24-2010, 12:35 AM
LeBron James seemingly weighs merits of contraction

"I'm not saying, 'Let's take New Jersey, let's take Minnesota out of the league.' But, hey you guys are not stupid. I'm not stupid. I know what would be great for the league."Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@SunSentinel.com and can be followed at http://twitter.com/iraheatbeat.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-lebron-james-s122310,0,2104141.story

I do not agree with this statement. Maybe you should have spent some time in college Bron.

F*(&"Next Year"
12-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Well, if superstars didn't all go to the same team to play together, every team could have a superstar or two. I personally would rather see a league with all good teams, than a handful of great teams.
Contraction is difficult, because who do you eliminate? I guess the teams that produce the least revenue...

homestarunner93
12-24-2010, 12:36 AM
He's just looking out for the heat's future, he figures that they won't be able to sign bench players 3 or 4 years down the road unless the NBA puts players on the team for them.

godolphins
I totally agree, who would want to see the Pacers vs the Nets or a bunch of different teams that are watered down, the league would way better of there were 2 or 3 top players on each team.

NYKalltheway
He is kinda right though...

But how will this work? Remove teams by their history? Least succesful out?
Teams that currently are not good? Teams that don't draw many fans?

I'd say it has to be the least successful through NBA history, even if I'm against contraction. It would make better competition indeed.

Imagine a contraction draft consisting of Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, Blake Griffin, Devin Harris etc...

As a Knicks fan I find it sad that not every player gets to play in every game and we have some 4 DNPs some nights. Sad because the NBA is supposed to feature the best players in the world (which is not the case for the past 10 years at least). If you're on the bench, you should get to play. Not because it's a must, but because you get a big fat salary and you don't get to show the world you're worth it.

I'm pretty sure if I count the total # of DNPs in the NBA in the last 10 seasons I'll find a figure of around 2 or 3 NBA team rosters. Unfortunately, it's the teams that will pay the most for this. (might actually try and find this figure, but just for last season)

godolphins
12-24-2010, 12:37 AM
And what he meant to say was, "yea, if u take Devin Harris off the Nets and Kevin Love off the Wolves and put them on the Heat, that would be great for the league!". :laugh2:
That would be great

BaustinSali08
12-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I totally agree, who would want to see the Pacers vs the Nets or a bunch of different teams that are watered down, the league would way better of there were 2 or 3 top players on each team.

A Pacers team that beat the Heat and the Lakers this year are sure watered down and not an upcoming team :rolleyes:

Dade County
12-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I think cutting the league down 4 teams or so is not such a bad idea.

Thank you.............. I have been saying this for so long now. Two from the west and east. I could put down names, but I can smell the hate through the web lol Cry babies :cry:

masalex1205
12-24-2010, 12:49 AM
What does Lebron think about the federal reserve? I honestly don't give a **** what Lebron thinks; especially when I don't consider him a good businessman

Stuckey#3
12-24-2010, 12:55 AM
What does Lebron think about the federal reserve? I honestly don't give a **** what Lebron thinks; especially when I don't consider him a good businessman

What are you talking about? Thoughs vitamin water commercials are awesome!

D-Leethal
12-24-2010, 12:57 AM
he is right, whats the point of having crappy teams in markets where no one even gives a **** about the sport anyway? A bad team in a bad market = horrible franchise. When the small market teams are good it works, but when they are bad the owners lose a TON of money, and that prevents them from spending the money required for a great team.....its a revolving cycle ....... Too many situations like that in today's NBA

CityofChaos
12-24-2010, 12:59 AM
The league needs to contract at least one of the Cali teams. If I had to choose it would be between the Kings and Clippers.

A contraction would definitely help the league. I mean, its already a joke that more teams make the playoffs than don't.

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Lebron never said the Nets and T Wolves should be contracted, in fact he clearly said thats not what he meant. Kevin Love is just a good example of a player thats on a bad team, but would dramatically improve a decent/good team.

Way to take it out of context people.... Holy **** you people are annoying, everything he says you guys hate him for it.

kjoke
12-24-2010, 01:01 AM
i agree with lebron, the man gave examples he even said he didnt particulaty mean those teams, people need to chill

abe_froman
12-24-2010, 01:04 AM
i dunno,it'd make rosters/quality better...but the poor fans of the contracted teams..,

kozelkid
12-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Lebron never said the Nets and T Wolves should be contracted, in fact he clearly said thats not what he meant. Kevin Love is just a good example of a player thats on a bad team, but would dramatically improve a decent/good team.

Way to take it out of context people.... Holy **** you people are annoying, everything he says you guys hate him for it.

Oh cmon, you can't be that naive. He just "happened" to give example of two of the most struggling teams.
Hell if Joakim Noah said that, I'd think of no different. Once he started including those teams, he went too far. Even if he claimed after that that not specfically those two teams. It was stupid of him. He needs to shut up or find a new publicist. Hell it's a touchy subject for fans of such teams in the first place. Stupid, controversial subject that he shouldn't be talking about in the first place. Especially someone who appears to be trying really hard to recover his image.

Stuckey#3
12-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Here is how this came about:

(Phone rings... Bron takes time from watching his own highlights and answers.)

BRON: Oh hey fatman what's up?
STERN: Your majesty... we are thinking about dropping a few teams from the league after this CBA mess is straightened out. Do you think you could possibly weaken the blow.
BRON: Let's see... maybe... hey can you call thoughs fools up at ESPN and have them say I am more clutch than Kobe?
STERN: Done your majesty.
BRON: I'll see what I can do. I am the best.

godolphins
12-24-2010, 01:31 AM
A Pacers team that beat the Heat and the Lakers this year are sure watered down and not an upcoming team :rolleyes:
Here's a question: Who besides Pacers fans would want to see them play?

I don't mean to bash the Pacers but it's the truth

When the Heat, Boston, Magic, Lakers, OKC and Mavs play people watch even if they are not fans of that team but when teams like the Pacers, Nets, Grizzlies, Washington and Charlotte play whose watching besides they're fans.

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Oh cmon, you can't be that naive. He just "happened" to give example of two of the most struggling teams.
Hell if Joakim Noah said that, I'd think of no different. Once he started including those teams, he went too far. Even if he claimed after that that not specfically those two teams. It was stupid of him. He needs to shut up or find a new publicist. Hell it's a touchy subject for fans of such teams in the first place. Stupid, controversial subject that he shouldn't be talking about in the first place. Especially someone who appears to be trying really hard to recover his image.

No **** thats the whole point. His point is that the league is watered down with good players stuck on bad teams. He wants those good players to get on better teams to make the league more competitive. The Heat, Knicks, Celtics, Spurs, Mavs have gone on enormous winning streaks because more times then not the team they play against are gonna be a lot worse. The way its looking, the 72 record by the Bulls will eventually be broken if these owners dont smarten up.

But i think there is too much talent in high school/college every single year for this to go on much longer. This struggle has to do with money more than anything so these owners need to stop throwing **** loads of money to just good/decent players.

Mudvayne91
12-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Double post, sorry

Mudvayne91
12-24-2010, 01:44 AM
I hate the way the NBA is ran. I don't care if people disagree, the NBA continually pushes these major market teams to win over these smaller, less revenue making teams. That is why you see the same teams winning.

That being said, I'm all for cutting down on teams IF there were another league like the old ABA. I know it's probably impossible, but I'd actually be all in favor of this. Stern wouldn't have to worry about not having the Celtics and Lakers in the finals and these smaller market teams aren't continually getting crapped on.

I know I'd be pretty excited if Denver was allowed to leave. There might not be as great talent in the league, but there's enough great players for it would to still be an entertaining league. I mean the ABA seemed to do alright. Like I said, it's probably impossible due to contracts and I'm also sure there's some sort of restrictions/regulations preventing this, but hey, a man can dream.

hyb152
12-24-2010, 01:52 AM
LeDouchebag. now he wants Cavaliers to not exist

Shut up.

BaustinSali08
12-24-2010, 01:53 AM

When the Heat, Boston, Magic, Lakers, OKC and Mavs play people watch even if they are not fans of that team but when teams like the Pacers, Nets, Grizzlies, Washington and Charlotte play whose watching besides they're fans.

I understand what your saying, but should we punish teams because they don't have superstars on them? Because Indiana, New Jersey, Memphis, Washington, and Charlotte aren't Miami, Boston, Orlando, Los Angeles, and OKC they should be disregarded by the league?

Boston, OKC, and Miami all suffered the same type of downturn before the landed their "big guys", so to contract the teams that are going through what every NBA team does is stupid. What happens to Detroit, should they be up for contraction because they aren't good these past few seasons?

Do you see what I am getting at? The NBA shouldn't contract teams just because they aren't fun to watch or because people think they aren't relevant.

Stuckey#3
12-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I understand what your saying, but should we punish teams because they don't have superstars on them? Because Indiana, New Jersey, Memphis, Washington, and Charlotte aren't Miami, Boston, Orlando, Los Angeles, and OKC they should be disregarded by the league?

Boston, OKC, and Miami all suffered the same type of downturn before the landed their big "guys", so to contract the teams that are going through what every NBA team does is stupid. What happens to Detroit, should they be up for contraction because they aren't good these past few seasons?

Do you see what I am getting at? The NBA shouldn't contract teams just because they aren't fun to watch or because they aren't relevant.

I agree... and just because some of the teams are going through the ringer it doesn't mean they do not have devote fans. The sonics were never consistently good, but a lot of hearts were broken when they left seattle. Speaking of Detroit... they won a championship in '04 without any superstars which I think was good for the competetiveness of the game. Stern and his cronies are sacrificing the competetive edge of the game for financial gain. I agree that the NBA has to make money; it's a business. But if the league does contract it will be terrible for the sport and many of the fans.

kozelkid
12-24-2010, 02:03 AM
I hate the way the NBA is ran. I don't care if people disagree, the NBA continually pushes these major market teams to win over these smaller, less revenue making teams. That is why you see the same teams winning.

That being said, I'm all for cutting down on teams IF there were another league like the old ABA. I know it's probably impossible, but I'd actually be all in favor of this. Stern wouldn't have to worry about not having the Celtics and Lakers in the finals and these smaller market teams aren't continually getting crapped on.

I know I'd be pretty excited if Denver was allowed to leave. There might not be as great talent in the league, but there's enough great players for it would to still be an entertaining league. I mean the ABA seemed to do alright. Like I said, it's probably impossible due to contracts and I'm also sure there's some sort of restrictions/regulations preventing this, but hey, a man can dream.

Ultimately what I'd like to see is a much more competitive league and a much better minor league (D-league).

godolphins
12-24-2010, 02:04 AM

Boston, OKC, and Miami all suffered the same type of downturn before the landed their big "guys", so to contract the teams that are going through what every NBA team does is stupid. What happens to Detroit, should they be up for contraction because they aren't good these past few seasons?

Do you see what I am getting at? The NBA shouldn't contract teams just because they aren't fun to watch or because they aren't relevant.
Yeah I see where you getting at, but I think the NBA need to do something to make every game watchable I don't know if contraction is the answer but the NBA needs to do something about it. Just look at the NFL any games they put on TV will gain viewership, EX: Jaguars VS. Titans on monday night football had more ratings than the Yankees Vs. Texas playoff game. The NBA have to do something

Stuckey#3
12-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Yeah I see where you getting at, but I think the NBA need to do something to make every game watchable I don't know if contraction is the answer but the NBA needs to do something about it. Just look at the NFL any games they put on TV will gain viewership, EX: Jaguars VS. Titans on monday night football had more ratings than the Yankees Vs. Texas playoff game. The NBA have to do something

They could start by letting the boys play instead of calling a technical foul every time a player opens his mouth, or a flagrant anytime someone falls down. Stern has made the entire league too soft. Basketball is a contact sport... that's what people want to see.

BaustinSali08
12-24-2010, 02:14 AM

I agree they need to do something, but you can't compare the NFL to the NBA. The reason the NFL is more successful than the NBA is, imo, simple supply and demand. Each NFL team has 16 regular season games, the fewer number of games the more relevant each is, the more relevant the game is the more viewers you will have. Because NFL teams play once a week, that one day can be hyped up by the media for each preceding day. An NFL playoff game might be more exciting to an audience because it is just one game, while an NBA series could go on to 7.

I don't know what the answer is, but maybe shortening the number of games played during the season, shortening playoff series, number of teams eligible for the post-season, etc.... need to be looked at before cutting teams from the league.

king4day
12-24-2010, 02:15 AM
I can understand what he's saying. He is right to an extent. Thin out the talent pool so you have the best players playing in the league.
Problem is, you'd need to take away 5 or 6 teams for people to really see its impact.

yshNYK
12-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Oh man, imagine if contraction really became a legit issue? It would be Semi-Pro come to life...some team owner is gonna have to wrestle a bear to stay in the NBA

blueplanet
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
LeBron was like four in the 80s

yeah, my dad even didn't exist during the first world war...so I should not know the history of the war :rolleyes:

BALLER R
12-24-2010, 02:43 AM
And what he meant to say was, "yea, if u take Devin Harris off the Nets and Kevin Love off the Wolves and put them on the Heat, that would be great for the league!".

exactly what i was thinking lol...weird that he used a point gaurd and big man to make his point...two area miami needs help in...lebron you smart guy not smart enough for us

topdog
12-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Screw you, Lebron! Maybe if our superstars were better they wouldn't have to be on the same team.

NYKalltheway
12-24-2010, 02:46 AM
I agree they need to do something, but you can't compare the NFL to the NBA. The reason the NFL is more successful than the NBA is, imo, simple supply and demand. Each NFL team has 16 regular season games, the fewer number of games the more relevant each is, the more relevant the game is the more viewers you will have. Because NFL teams play once a week, that one day can be hyped up by the media for each preceding day. An NFL playoff game might be more exciting to an audience because it is just one game, while an NBA series could go on to 7.

I don't know what the answer is, but maybe shortening the number of games played during the season, shortening playoff series, number of teams eligible for the post-season, etc.... need to be looked at before cutting teams from the league.

true ;)

Each team should face the other twice. Once at home and once away. 82 games is too much and too congested.

But then people will complain that "it will not be possible to break the 72-10 record so it would make the regular season less interesting" or whatever :p

BlondeBomber41
12-24-2010, 02:48 AM
This is just his half assed way of defending himself for being a ***** and turning his back on his entire city and franchise in Cleveland.

If you don't wanna be the man on your team Lebron, just say so.

I can tell you this.... Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant wouldn't feel the need to throw all the good players together and load their teams up.

Kenny
12-24-2010, 02:53 AM
This is just his half assed way of defending himself for being a ***** and turning his back on his entire city and franchise in Cleveland.

If you don't wanna be the man on your team Lebron, just say so.

I can tell you this.... Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant wouldn't feel the need to throw all the good players together and load their teams up.

Kobe wanted out before he got handed another superstar. Lberon played with garbage which is being proven this year.

justinnum1
12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Kobe wanted out before he got handed another superstar. Lberon played with garbage which is being proven this year.

This.

BlondeBomber41
12-24-2010, 02:58 AM
No **** thats the whole point. His point is that the league is watered down with good players stuck on bad teams. He wants those good players to get on better teams to make the league more competitive. The Heat, Knicks, Celtics, Spurs, Mavs have gone on enormous winning streaks because more times then not the team they play against are gonna be a lot worse. The way its looking, the 72 record by the Bulls will eventually be broken if these owners dont smarten up.

But i think there is too much talent in high school/college every single year for this to go on much longer. This struggle has to do with money more than anything so these owners need to stop throwing **** loads of money to just good/decent players.

Do you even realize what you are saying though?

You claim because teams like Miami, New York, Dallas, Boston and the Spurs have gone on huge winning streaks its because they are playing horrible teams, and its bad for the league.

You realize at one point all of those teams were among the worst in the league as well also right? What if contraction would of happened then? Would you be arguing that because they suck, they should be taken from the league?

The Mavs couldn't win a game in the 90's. The Celtics were the worst team in the league like 4 years ago. The Heat were awful before drafting Dwyane Wade, and even had a lottery season in there with Wade. The Spurs got lucky with the #1 pick to get Duncan, but they had to be awful in order to get that pick. The Knicks are finally decent this year, but they have sucked for soooo long.

You can't just assume that bad now means bad forever. Thats ridiculous. Some of the worst teams in the league right now have a rich history and will rise again. Tell a Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings or Philadelphia 76ers fan that you're taking their team away because they aren't any good right now. See how well that goes for you, NBA...

blueplanet
12-24-2010, 03:00 AM
LeBron James = KING. Whatever he says makes a news unlike anyone else. When people hate you, it's a good thing; they do it because you are by far the greatest.

BlondeBomber41
12-24-2010, 03:02 AM

Kobe wanted out for a brief stretch that summer, but then retracted his trade demand and led the Lakers to a 27-11 record before Pau Gasol ever arrived in Los Angeles.

Those pieces around Lebron worked, and he had a owner who was willing to do anything possible to put more talent around him. He took the easy way out. The Bulls and Lakers went through crappy spells as well, and MJ/Kobe stuck it out. Whats funny is the bad spells for MJ and Kobe weren't 60 win seasons, Lebron's were..... yet MJ/Kobe stuck around.

Mudvayne91
12-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Ultimately what I'd like to see is a much more competitive league and a much better minor league (D-league).

I'd really like to see competition as a whole league where it doesn't matter if you are a LA or a Milwaukee. More like the NHL. I get why it's not. The NBA is a business and it needs to make money.

But here's the thing for me. Watching my NBA team is really hollow. I've pretty much given up on the NBA. Based on past experiences, I truly don't believe I'll ever be able to see the Nuggets when a championship. At least in another league, I wouldn't feel like the league is purposely trying to set up the team to lose when they're playing a more lucrative market.

Side note - I'd like to see a much more meaningful d-league as well. In the NHL and the MLB, your team's success can depend on your minor league prospects. In the NBA, the d league very rarely serves its purpose.

Bruno
12-24-2010, 03:35 AM

Why? There aren't enough channels or time-spots on cable (where they make their advertising money) to warrant airing 10 games on an active night in the NBA. Which channels will drop all their evening programing to provide three hours for an NBA game? Not many.

For obsessive NBA fans like us you will watch no matter what, just because you love the game. Fans like the people on PSD don't make up the majority of viewers who will actually tune in and watch Heat v. Lakers on Christmas. The league makes its real advertising money because of all the casual fans who like basketball, but who don't obsess over it; that's what league pass is for.

Bruno
12-24-2010, 03:57 AM

Right, and he let his team and the media know about it publicly. He gave them an opportunity to make a change. The Lakers front-office got lucky and they did.

Did LeBron ever voice frustration with his Cleveland roster? (Not a rhetorical question, did he?) Or did he believe like many fans and analysts (John Hollinger, stat guru) that he and his Cavs were so good that they didn't need to bring in another super-star to win a championship. After-all, were' talking about a Cavs team that went the the 2007 Finals, and went 45-37, 66-16, and 61-21 the three seasons after that finals appearance.

IMO LeBron learned the hard way (over the 08, 09, 10 playoffs) that the post-season is a different beast. Over those three seasons the Cavs lost 4-3 to the eventual champs, Boston, (The Cavs won more games against Boston than the Lakers did that post-season) 4-2 to the eventual ECC Magic in '09, and 4-2 to Boston in '10. IMO he realized after the 2010 playoffs that he couldn't do it alone, a part of his wanted to be a part of a real team, not a team completely built around him, and his strengths- there's a lot of pressure in that. Pat Riley pulled off a miracle and cleared enough cap space, and the three of the signed, IMO it was a totally lucky situation, everything went perfectly. I believe LeBron when he says he made his decision earlier that day; by that time the whole situation was prepared to explode in his face, he angered his city but actually showed some humbleness in what was naturally a self-serving situation. I say it was humble, because it was LeBron admitting he couldn't do it alone. That's a bold action from a guy who's been called "the chosen one" and "King" his whole his life.

Anyways, Kobes 2007 trade request and LeBrons 2010 decision are apples and oranges if you ask me.

I like this comment by LeBron because he has a point and he's being honest about how he feels, plus what else does he have to lose? He knows the sporting world won't forgive him and move on until he wins a ring. As long as he doesn't pull a Kobe in 2003 he can pretty much say whatever and his net perception won't really change.

KDM1986
12-24-2010, 04:24 AM
4 to 6 teams should be contracted if this is the road they end up going down. No point in getting rid of 2 or 3. And it should be the teams who bring in the least money. End of story. It would be better in the long run. Also only 6 teams from each conference should make the playoffs.

kozelkid
12-24-2010, 04:48 AM
4 to 6 teams should be contracted if this is the road they end up going down. No point in getting rid of 2 or 3. And it should be the teams who bring in the least money. End of story. It would be better in the long run. Also only 6 teams from each conference should make the playoffs.

Will not work in a playoff format unless you want to give 2 teams in each conference a bye. Which would be ridiculous for a playoffs with a 7 game series.

Confusious
12-24-2010, 06:54 AM
No ****, LeBron.

truplayer199
12-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Who cares what lebron thinks. He needs to stick to playing ball and shut up. The only think contraction would be good for is competition. How many players and coaches would be unemployed if they get rid of like 6 teams. And i really doubt he would want to play a really good team every single night; i dont look at him as that ultra competitive type who likes challenges.

daboywonder2002
12-24-2010, 09:13 AM
yea it would make the league more competitive if we got rid of the dead weight. but think about fans who live in those cities. why should they have to suffer losing their team. we need to find a way to make the league more competitive without contraction and to me, thats spreading the talent around more. it seems like the teams that aren't big market aren't able to land key free agents. so the only way to build a team is through the draft. which can take years to do. everyone doesn't have the money to OVERPAY these free agents. we need parity like the nfl. shoot, you see teams going from worst to first like its nothing.

Bornknick73
12-24-2010, 09:49 AM
He's right, why would you want teams like the Clippers to even play?

x2

Fmaranesi
12-24-2010, 09:58 AM
HECK YEAH ! Get rid of these trash teams out there that barely get 20 wins a year......eliminate 3-6 teams and have a two round draft with their players with the remaining teams.

That's how you create a competitive and fun league. Every team would have a couple or more stars.

Bornknick73
12-24-2010, 09:58 AM
yea it would make the league more competitive if we got rid of the dead weight. but think about fans who live in those cities. why should they have to suffer losing their team. we need to find a way to make the league more competitive without contraction and to me, thats spreading the talent around more. it seems like the teams that aren't big market aren't able to land key free agents. so the only way to build a team is through the draft. which can take years to do. everyone doesn't have the money to OVERPAY these free agents. we need parity like the nfl. shoot, you see teams going from worst to first like its nothing.

Teams make money from fans, fans dont put butts in the seats or buy merchandise...team doesnt make money. Financially it would seem the fanbase cant sustain the team.

so yeah, i think its fair to them if they lose the team.

icon1914
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Kobe wanted out for a brief stretch that summer, but then retracted his trade demand and led the Lakers to a 27-11 record before Pau Gasol ever arrived in Los Angeles.

Those pieces around Lebron worked, and he had a owner who was willing to do anything possible to put more talent around him. He took the easy way out. The Bulls and Lakers went through crappy spells as well, and MJ/Kobe stuck it out. Whats funny is the bad spells for MJ and Kobe weren't 60 win seasons, Lebron's were..... yet MJ/Kobe stuck around.

Kobe, post Shaq, also never got out of the first round before Gasol got there... You can quote records, but one year The Lakers were the 2nd seed and lost to the 7th seed in the first round, so a solid record means nothing without the ability to contend in the post season.

LeBron stuck it out with the Cavs for years. The front office did what they could to surround him with talent, but that is their job... But in the end they did not have the pieces to make them a serious contender. Some of that may lie upon James performances at times, but without him Cleveland is a high lottery team. It's hard to win when you are the only person on the team that can put up 20 ppg on a nightly basis.

Unruly Fan
12-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Understandable notion. You could pretty much count the fans in Charlotte when the Bobcats hosted the Raps a few weeks back. Looked terrible.

PrettyBoyJ
12-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Lebron is just looking for the world to hate him more.. Singling out the Nets and T-Wolves was not a good move..

JWO35
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
They can start by eliminating every team in California not named the Lakers...

cooters22
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Personally I think the reason that NFL is much more successful than the NBA is because the NFL for the most part is a team driven league and the NBA is a star driven league. Before the season starts you know in the NBA whom the 2 or 3 favorites are and maybe a handful of other teams that have a shot. But in football, that simply is not the case. You have some good ideas who is going to be good, but every year you have some very good surprise teams. In the NBA the player is bigger than the team ala Kobe Bryant forcing Shaq out of town. But in the NFL a player like Brett Favre wasn't bigger than the Packers, so he was given a ticket out of town. The NBA forces the larger markets to be good, LA Lakers will always be good, players want to play there, league for ratings needs it this way. In the NFL, the smallest market in the league is Green Bay and they probably have the best record in the league since 1990.

cooters22
12-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Lebron is just looking for the world to hate him more.. Singling out the Nets and T-Wolves was not a good move..

What was he suppose to do single out Cleveland again?

Flash3
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
HECK YEAH ! Get rid of these trash teams out there that barely get 20 wins a year......eliminate 3-6 teams and have a two round draft with their players with the remaining teams.

That's how you create a competitive and fun league. Every team would have a couple or more stars.

you would base it off teams who make the league the most money not by winning.

cooters22
12-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Kobe did get out, he got drafted by Charlotte and fell in the draft because he let it known from day 1 he would only play for LA, Chicago and Philly. So they were forced to trade him. Classy, the exact reason I REFUSE to be a Kobe fan.

cooters22
12-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd really like to see competition as a whole league where it doesn't matter if you are a LA or a Milwaukee. More like the NHL. I get why it's not. The NBA is a business and it needs to make money.

But here's the thing for me. Watching my NBA team is really hollow. I've pretty much given up on the NBA. Based on past experiences, I truly don't believe I'll ever be able to see the Nuggets when a championship. At least in another league, I wouldn't feel like the league is purposely trying to set up the team to lose when they're playing a more lucrative market.

Side note - I'd like to see a much more meaningful d-league as well. In the NHL and the MLB, your team's success can depend on your minor league prospects. In the NBA, the d league very rarely serves its purpose.

What he said! There are only two sports that I'm dang near positive have had things fixed in them. Boxing, where I have seen fights without a doubt rigged or a guy whip butt and lose on a draw. And basketball is totally rigged. Michael Jordan could give any oppenant a shoulder in the final minute of any close game and get a call. We all shake it off by saying thats the NBA, but sorry thats rigged. Two, Cleveland and New York getting Lebron and Patrick Ewing on draft night has been set up, or atleast some like myself totatlly think. The Milwaukee Bucks in the 2001 East Championship got hosed like no other team against the Sixers, never in my life have I seen a series that one sided by the refs. I remember San Antonio getting hosed in a series some years back that was a close second. The NBA is big market and star rigged.

Unruly Fan
12-24-2010, 11:18 AM

I agree with the latter statement but I can't say the world hates him. Seems to me the only ppl that truly hate him are the ones who felt that he was obliged to sign with their team.

Kobe did get out, he got drafted by Charlotte and fell in the draft because he let it known from day 1 he would only play for LA, Chicago and Philly. So they were forced to trade him. Classy, the exact reason I REFUSE to be a Kobe fan.On point.

Also his rise to "glory" wasn't exactly the smoothest. i.e. Kobe wasn't exactly a dominating force when he entered the league (unlike others I know of). That, coupled with his selective arrogant attitude (while only out of HS) was the icing on the cake.

I can only imagine what people would be saying now if LeBron had DEMANDED to be drafted to a certain team. Yet another excuse to hate and hate some more.

m26555
12-24-2010, 11:18 AM

You're apparently blinded by your fandom.

LeBron said that if you take Love off Minnesota and put him on another team and Harris and Lopez off New Jersey and put them on another team, it would be better for the league. How is that NOT indirectly saying that those two teams should be contracted?

SteBO
12-24-2010, 11:25 AM

LeBron said that if you take Love off Minnesota and put him on another team and Harris and Lopez off New Jersey and put them on another team, it would be better for the league. How is that NOT indirectly saying that those two teams should be contracted?
He did indirectly say Minnesota and New Jersey should be contracted. But there isn't anything false about what he said.

Unruly Fan
12-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Nothing but assumptions. Could be argued either way really. That being said, people will manipulate it to how they want to see it.

kjoke
12-24-2010, 11:28 AM
i think we can all say that if the league does contract, then the games become more exiting and more competative. If the games are more competitive it'll be like chrismas day games throughout the whole year. Ratings will boost, stronger teams, those fans of the other cities, like the ones in seattle can root for someone else and i agree with lebron that if the league does contract, it would be beneficial

kjoke
12-24-2010, 11:29 AM

and what examples should have lebron givin then?

sammid21
12-24-2010, 11:32 AM
What i find funny is that Lebron wants competition now. shouldve thought about that before he joined the Heat. He doesnt want to compete, he wants to win a ring, if he wanted to compete, he should have stayed in cleveland or go to a team that needed a superstar, not to a team that has 2 other top 5-10 playeris in Wade and Bosh.

Not every team in the 80s had more than 2 super stars, it was either 1-2 stars and an old past his peak star

daboywonder2002
12-24-2010, 11:32 AM
the thing about the nfl is that you can find those late round gems in the draft. those 6th round guys like tom brady. or grocery store baggers like kurt warner. in the nba you either have to completely suck and get a top 5 pick. or you have to overpay and get a star free agent. there's no middle ground. unless your're the clippers of course. who have had number one picks and still cant win.

Foye
12-24-2010, 11:48 AM
LeDecision is a joke.

First he joins the Heat with Bosh. Then he wonders that the league has gotten less competitive (which is only logical if you've got that many stacked teams around the league like Lakers, Boston, now Heat, too) and says teams should be contracted. He's a freakin joke. His actions led to a less competitive league and then he wonders and says you need more talent on teams. Now if him and Bosh wouldn't have left CLE and TOR the nba would be more competitive.

The nba is fine with 30 teams - as long as every superstar does what he should do - stay with his team and try to win it with them. If you've got douches who team up together then the league is going to get uncompetitive really soon. That's no real surprise.

h2r09
12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
it is unbelievable how much people hate lebron. he said nthing besides what everyone else in the entire ****ing world knows. there are to many teams in the league. there is so much "nothingness" in 1/3 of the cities. these teams consistently suck and dont sell out the arena.

the league would be 10x better with 25 teams.

h2r09
12-24-2010, 12:07 PM
and what do you want lebron to do? he was asked a question and he answered it. basically he did everything we always ask an athlete to do.

and he didnt say those teams should be contracted, he just gave examples of teams with very good players that suck.

i would love for all of you criticizing him to think about people hearing everything you say and disecting it and reading between the lines when you didnt mean anything else. just once imagine that.

el_primo_nano
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
He has to keep his mouth shut. Its bad already 90% of the league hate him, and he just keeps on. He's asking for it.

knicks_champ
12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I agree with him...the league this year has more spice to it. I like it. You can hate on him all you want but you gotta agree he has made this season very suspenseful.

h2r09
12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
He has to keep his mouth shut. Its bad already 90% of the league hate him, and he just keeps on. He's asking for it.

by answering question in a mandatory pregame press conference or media session?

how dare he

el_primo_nano
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
by answering question in a mandatory pregame press conference or media session?

how dare he

yes, you can say you dont want to answer the question.

fendera7x
12-24-2010, 02:00 PM
i agree completely with what hes saying. Though it is the players faults, with everyone demanding trades and creating lists of acceptable teams to go, too. Their making a mockery of the NBA. How about we just play with 8 super stacked teams in the eight major cities, and the fans of the former teams can just sit and wonder what couldve been.

Some great teams are not drawing high attendance and that's not really their faults, and I don't think the loyal fans should have to suffer. Should we disassemble a young, rising Grizzlies or Pacers team because they don't draw high attendance marks?

Also, what I don't like most about Lebrons comments is he's throwing other NBA players, or his "colleagues," under the bus. By dismantling 5-6 teams like you guys are saying, thats at least about 75 players losing jobs. Being apart of the players union, Lebron should not be publicly declaring that he thinks its okay that they eliminate jobs. He's supposed to be the face of the NBA but he won't even back the players?

Lebron is just selfdestructing his public image. Be a team player.

Lakerfan8032
12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
As a member of the players union he shouldn't say this. He basically is saying let's cut 60+ jobs of his fellow employees. If I were a player (and especially not a good one) I'd be pissed at him. I think he's just trying to justify to either himself or the public why he went to Miami by throwing some ******** out there of what his reasoning was behind his decision.

But from my viewpoint I do agree with him and do think that the league would be much more competitive if four to six teams were contracted. But LeBron should never say anything like that while part of a labor union that would be affected by this.

sep11ie
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM

Before the brawl The Pacers were a very popular team and always contending. Just cause your in rebuild mode, doesn't mean you should be contracted.

Sixerlover
12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
yes, you can say you dont want to answer the question.

And be seen as the douchebag NBA superstar that is too good for the media. You know PSD would take it that way.

As for what he said, I agree. The league should take a look at the 3 teams with the least success in the smallest markets, and contract, and expansion draft the players. I know it sounds crazy, but we'll get over it when the season starts.

knicks4life33
12-24-2010, 02:20 PM
what does lebron know ???seriously he has other people make DECSIONS for himself and for the others who actually agree with him how would you feel if your team wiped off the map lol and he mentions the 80s how all the teams had multiple stars but those stars all stayed on there team and never left lol never pulled a lebron and joined forces in there prime lol

Lakerfan8032
12-24-2010, 02:20 PM
LeDecision is a joke.

First he joins the Heat with Bosh. Then he wonders that the league has gotten less competitive (which is only logical if you've got that many stacked teams around the league like Lakers, Boston, now Heat, too) and says teams should be contracted. He's a freakin joke. His actions led to a less competitive league and then he wonders and says you need more talent on teams. Now if him and Bosh wouldn't have left CLE and TOR the nba would be more competitive.

The nba is fine with 30 teams - as long as every superstar does what he should do - stay with his team and try to win it with them. If you've got douches who team up together then the league is going to get uncompetitive really soon. That's no real surprise.

I agree with you but to an extent. It would be nice if players had more loyalty and integrity but the times were in now and free agency have made that harder to expect. Players make too much money and have been given too much power. They can basically refuse to play and force their team to get rid of them for pennies on the dollar. Also, teams don't have the loyalty either that the players are expected to have.

I don't think it is every star's responsibility to have to stay with his original team. There are many extenuating circumstances to expect that. If a team has poor management and fan support I can't blame someone for wanting to go play somewhere else. Also family situations and sometimes just needing a fresh start.

In LeBron's case that isn't what happened. He was universally loved and adored in Cleveland and management tried really hard to accomadate him and make deals to improve the team (though many were poor decisions but their hearts were at least in the right place). He wanted to hang out in Miami with some good friends and have an easier time to try and win a championship. His choice and he was free to make it (he just handled it poorly, obviously).

But I do agree with you that players loading up on a select few teams does contribute to the watering down of the other franchises.

Bramaca
12-24-2010, 02:42 PM
People like to throw out things about the past, in this case the NBA in the 80's, and talk about how much more competitive it was with only 23 teams compared to now with the watered down talent. The reality is that it is completely false.

In the 80's there were 23 teams and each year 16 would make the playoffs. Teams were making the playoffs with 30 wins. You basically always knew who was going to be in the finals. In ten seasons in the 80's only 5 teams ever made the finals (Boston, Lakers, Philadelphia, Houston, Detroit). In the last decade 10 or 11 different teams have made the finals. How spread out was the talent back then compared to now?

Then there is the argument about how the talent level is spread out among more teams. The 23 teams back then were drawing their talent for the most part only from the US which had 80 million less people then compared to now plus with basketball being bigger worldwide there are a lot more players from other countries to add to the talent pool. Overall the talent in the NBA now is much better now as compared to the 80's. I remember big men in the 80's who only made teams because they were 7' tall and could barely catch the ball.

I think the NBA needs to do something but contraction isn't it. I think a two teir level similar to some euro soccer leagues might be better. Something along the lines of 24 teams in a premier league and 24 in the lower division with the winner of the lower division moving up. It would keep the best talent in the upper league but would give the lower teams something to cheer for also.

njnets
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
he's dumb for talking to the media. he just keeps digging his hole deeper because more people will continue to hate him

however

i agree with him on this notion. will it ever happen? i dont see it happening. saw this in the nets forum to and said this...over expansion can kill a business. that is what most sports have done and now regret it. there is no going back. the owners will not agree to it, the players will not agree with it because there will be less jobs...so nothing can be done about this situation.

Daze9900
12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Contraction is not the issue, the age limit is the real problem in the NBA. Having less teams doesn't necessarily mean that there would be more all-stars on a single team. Who is to say that the owners would want to pay those all-stars the ridiculous max money they demand? Bad owners will still want to pocket most of the revenue that they are getting in. Good owners that care about winning will spend. Remember when the bucks had a big 3? They almost got to the finals. The Spurs are not in my mind a large market team. Toronto is competetive; New Jersey hasn't yet recovered from rebuilding after trading Jason Kidd. Minnesota would be competetive if they drafted better; and they still had a good run when they had K.G Cassell. Stop with the small market teams they have a smaller margin for error when it comes to upgrading their teams but the teams that do it well have just as must as an opportunity to do well. The lottery system can help these teams as well.

Sly Guy
12-24-2010, 03:19 PM
I would love it if LeBron talked about contraction, and Cleveland were the first team to fold. That would be the irony of all ironies.

Gram
12-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Contract the Heat. lol.

JWO35
12-24-2010, 03:31 PM
And with the 1st pick in the 2011 Contraction Draft, The Detroit Pistons select Blake Griffin former Clippers PF :drool:

godolphins
12-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Who cares what lebron thinks. He needs to stick to playing ball and shut up. The only think contraction would be good for is competition. How many players and coaches would be unemployed if they get rid of like 6 teams. And i really doubt he would want to play a really good team every single night; i dont look at him as that ultra competitive type who likes challenges.
If you don't care about what Lebron think than why are you in this thread?

godolphins
12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Contract the Heat. lol.
Than the NBA would lose most of it's viewers :laugh2:

ElMarroAfamado
12-24-2010, 05:26 PM
contraction is not good for the NBA..I agree with someone said that he is just saying this so other teams get more "talent" and they are on par with the HEAT so people will stop hating the Heat for what they did....with that said its funny he mentioned those teams...

he should worry about having a consistent J (not one that he only shoots when the team is up 20, or on a fast break, or his streak shooting *** jackin up 3s) a consistent mid range jumper ala Carmelo, Kobe, etc...even when lebrick makes a J it rattles in its really funny all his followers think he is going to win a title without having a J its amaziiing

ElMarroAfamado
12-24-2010, 05:26 PM
and yeah teh league should contract the Heat cause their games are always pathetically empty

thekmp211
12-24-2010, 05:33 PM
sort of agree. it would make teams more competitive sure, but i'm not sure if it's actually good for the league itself. the NBA is all about expanding markets and bringing in new fans. getting rid of teams would not help achieve that.

all this said, there's almost a 0% chance that contraction ever happens and a far greater chance that we'll see MORE teams in the future. oh well.

kdman77
12-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Whether he is right or not, I just want to see him sitting at the next player's union reunion. He's openly vying for dozens of players (depending on the number of contracted teams) to lose their jobs? Way to make friends in the league.

Mrphilly
12-24-2010, 06:01 PM
No kidding. very douchebag, but not surprising from him. I mean, in reality, I agree with him. Contraction is good, but he needs to shut the **** up. It's comments like these that make so many people hate him. It's not his business. And then to specifically point out those 2 teams is just such a dick move.

Do you see what you wrote? You called him a douchebag for what he said, but in the very next line you said you completely agree. So doesnt that mean you have to shut the **** up too?

Its not comments like this that make you hate Lebron. You hate Lebron because he doesnt play for your team.

How is it not his business that there are a lot of crappy teams in the League is a star in? Who's Business is it then?

justinnum1
12-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Do you see what you wrote? You called him a douchebag for what he said, but in the very next line you said you completely agree. So doesnt that mean you have to shut the **** up too?

Its not comments like this that make you hate Lebron. You hate Lebron because he doesnt play for your team.

How is it not his business that there are a lot of crappy teams in the League is a star in? Who's Business is it then?

:burn:

VRP723
12-24-2010, 06:12 PM
He's right

PHX2daDEATH
12-24-2010, 06:15 PM
you either need contraction or a hard salary cap...the more i think of it..the hard salary cap is the way to go..

RZZZA
12-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't know if I agree with him. Yesterdays crappy teams could easily become the superpower teams of tomorrow and vice versa. contraction seems like a quick-fix solution that is hurtful long term.

C-ross12
12-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I dont like LeBron, but hes 100% right on this. Props to him for saying it too. NBA needs to contract. Not enough talent for the amount of teams.

BkOriginalOne
12-24-2010, 06:23 PM
There were less teams, Lebron.
Raptors, Bobcats, Hornets and Grizzlies were not teams back then so...

Bargnani, Gerald Wallace, Stephen Jackson, Chris Paul, David West, Rudy Gay, and Zach Randolph would be playing on other teams..

Barg on the Lakers, Spurs, Magic
Gerald Wallace on the Lakers, Knicks, Jazz, OKC
Jack on the Lakers, Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, OKC
Chris Paul on the Knicks, Lakers, Magic
David West... Spurs, Jazz, Magic, Lakers

Maybe the NBA will dismantle the Hornets since they own them and get this trend started.

Dnovakovic099
12-24-2010, 06:25 PM
If LeBron wanted competition he should have stayed in Clevland and not ran like a *****. Plus, why should the die-hard Timberwolve's fans be punished and forced to root for a team that dosen't even play in their state? LeBron does not give a **** about his state or his team. Many players, see Carmelo, leave the team they are drafted to go to their homestate. That is because these players love their state. You can't possibly tell me that Carmelo thinks he is going to win more games with the Nets, and yet he is willing to sign an extension. LeBron should have stayed in Clevland and defended Ohio.

thekmp211
12-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Whether he is right or not, I just want to see him sitting at the next player's union reunion. He's openly vying for dozens of players (depending on the number of contracted teams) to lose their jobs? Way to make friends in the league.

not to mention calling them out as less than adequately talented players. he just slapped two franchises in the mouth with his comments, that actually bothers me more than anything.

IBleedPurple
12-24-2010, 06:29 PM
you either need contraction or a hard salary cap...the more i think of it..the hard salary cap is the way to go..

Agreed.

kdman77
12-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Although, it would have been funny if he said, along with Twolves and Nets, that the Cavs should be contracted. I don't think he can p*ss them off more than he already did.

Sixerlover
12-24-2010, 06:36 PM
If LeBron wanted competition he should have stayed in Clevland and not ran like a *****. Plus, why should the die-hard Timberwolve's fans be punished and forced to root for a team that dosen't even play in their state? LeBron does not give a **** about his state or his team. Many players, see Carmelo, leave the team they are drafted to go to their homestate. That is because these players love their state. You can't possibly tell me that Carmelo thinks he is going to win more games with the Nets, and yet he is willing to sign an extension. LeBron should have stayed in Clevland and defended Ohio.

1st off Melo doesn't consider himself to be from NY he was really raised in B-More. And his move is a lot about Melo the "brand" and how East coast players normally get much more publicity off the court except Kobe of course. At least LeBron's deal had a lot to do with winning games on the court, and being on an improved team. It's been obvious from day 1 if Melo wanted to win games 20 mil a year on a contender every year like Denver is a damn good option.

RCarlson85
12-24-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think Lebron is that far off in saying this. I don't really want to contract any teams even though I'm not a fan of any team in danger of being contracted. It does seem like there are some teams that will never compete because they just make dumb decisions and make stupid personnel moves with trades/drafting/signing. The wolves seem like they will never be what they were when they had Garnett. Then there's a team like the Clippers who haven't been competitive in I don't even know how long. Then there's teams that are losing money. So I really don't see how giving a few teams the axe wouldn't help the league be more competitive and profitable.

heattiltheend94
12-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Every fan SHOULD want contraction, but no one wants their team to be contracted.

agreed

ziglur
12-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Lebron doesnt matter. He wants a third of the NBA to lose their jobs, He cares about himself and nobody else. He also doesnt want to play on Christmas, But its ok for fireman and policemen and Doctors who work for crumbs to work on Christmas and Christmas Eve too. But someone who doesnt really contribute to anything but himself its a shame he has to work at all, for millions. Use to like Lebron but lately he proven to me that hes a uncaring, greety, ignorant person. And its not because he signed with Miami I dont care who he plays for.

heattiltheend94
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Do you even realize what you are saying though?

You claim because teams like Miami, New York, Dallas, Boston and the Spurs have gone on huge winning streaks its because they are playing horrible teams, and its bad for the league.

You realize at one point all of those teams were among the worst in the league as well also right? What if contraction would of happened then? Would you be arguing that because they suck, they should be taken from the league?

The Mavs couldn't win a game in the 90's. The Celtics were the worst team in the league like 4 years ago. The Heat were awful before drafting Dwyane Wade, and even had a lottery season in there with Wade. The Spurs got lucky with the #1 pick to get Duncan, but they had to be awful in order to get that pick. The Knicks are finally decent this year, but they have sucked for soooo long.

You can't just assume that bad now means bad forever. Thats ridiculous. Some of the worst teams in the league right now have a rich history and will rise again. Tell a Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings or Philadelphia 76ers fan that you're taking their team away because they aren't any good right now. See how well that goes for you, NBA...

It wouldn't just be based on winning, but revenue and location. Crappy teams that no one watches is costing the NBA lots of money. If it wasn't for those teams, there wouldn't be a potential lockout

heattiltheend94
12-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Lebron doesnt matter. He wants a third of the NBA to lose their jobs, He cares about himself and nobody else. He also doesnt want to play on Christmas, But its ok for fireman and policemen and Doctors who work for crumbs to work on Christmas and Christmas Eve too. But someone who doesnt really contribute to anything but himself its a shame he has to work at all, for millions. Use to like Lebron but lately he proven to me that hes a uncaring, greety, ignorant person. And its not because he signed with Miami I dont care who he plays for.

Well you lost me with the poor doctors. State jobs are paid overtime on Christmas, and are not mandatory if I am not mistaken. What person (no matter the job) would want to play on the holidays even if it is the infamous LeBron?

Bravo95
12-24-2010, 07:33 PM
If anything, scrap the divisions altogether. Two conferences, six playoff teams each, playing 5-game series' until the NBA Finals (7 games).

As far as the other issue: The league or whomever needs to force out some of these terrible owners who are punishing good fans with their nonsense. Then after a few years, if nothing improves financially, do what you have to do.

blacknell
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
i agree with Lebron because the NBA is so boring right now. Sometimes i would rather watch a tennis game than NBA basketball. And he is right especially in the 90's thats when basketball was at its best. if you think he lying just go back and look at the teams/
seattle- Kemp, Payton, Hawkins, Schrempf, Perkins
Jazz- Malone, Stockton, hornacek
bulls- jordan, pippen, rodman
knicks- ewing, starks,mason,
pacers- miller, smits, daniels
lakers- magic, worthy, perkins, cooper
hawks-wilkins, malone, webb, rivers
celtics- bird, parish, mcChale, johnson, ainge, lewis
those are just to name a few now look at the teams now
Kings-No stars
Warriors- no stars
nets- no stars
raptors- no stars
wizards- no stars
And as of right now curry and wall are not stars or house hold names

RZZZA
12-24-2010, 08:26 PM
i dont understand, you expect every team to have a household name star on it? thats just unrealistic expectations

DetroitRipCity
12-25-2010, 03:15 AM
I agree with him...the league this year has more spice to it. I like it. You can hate on him all you want but you gotta agree he has made this season very suspenseful.

????

how is this season suspenseful... the teams that were supposed to suck do suck and the teams that are supposed to be winning are winning.

Kyle N.
12-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Yes LeBron, you are stupid.

WickedBadMan
12-25-2010, 06:12 AM
I would be interested to know the criteria for Leborn's "contraction" plan.

Teams that aren't good? So I guess the Bulls before Rose, Orlando before Dwight, NO before Chris Paul, OKC/SS before Durant etc etc. Attendance? Pistons are up there every year blah blah blah. Talent on teams is cyclical, even the "historic" teams (Celtics) have down years. I guess they should have been contracted before the KG RA trade.

Never could be worked out and of course a jack *** who teamed up with two other top players would use this ruse that he was trying to make the league "more exciting like it was" and to cover up the fact that he was just a coward.

MTar786
12-25-2010, 07:03 AM
i agree with Lebron because the NBA is so boring right now. Sometimes i would rather watch a tennis game than NBA basketball. And he is right especially in the 90's thats when basketball was at its best. if you think he lying just go back and look at the teams/
seattle- Kemp, Payton, Hawkins, Schrempf, Perkins
Jazz- Malone, Stockton, hornacek
bulls- jordan, pippen, rodman
knicks- ewing, starks,mason,
pacers- miller, smits, daniels
lakers- magic, worthy, perkins, cooper
hawks-wilkins, malone, webb, rivers
celtics- bird, parish, mcChale, johnson, ainge, lewis
those are just to name a few now look at the teams now
Kings-No stars
Warriors- no stars
nets- no stars
raptors- no stars
wizards- no stars
And as of right now curry and wall are not stars or house hold names

you make no sense. you are speaking of the 90's as a decade to make teams look good. you're picking teams from 1991 and then from 1996 i could do the same for the 00's.

lakers: gasol, odom, bynum, kobe, artest
boston: kg, allen, pierce, rondo, shaq
orlando: dwight, lewis, vince
sixers: iverson, mutombo
kings: webber, peja, bibby
spurs: duncan ginobli, parker
pistons: sheed, ben, hamilton, billups
bulls: d rose, boozer, noah
heat: wade, bosh, lebron
minnestota: kg, cassel, latrell
suns: nash, amare, marion
pacers: jermaine, artest, reggie
jazz: williams, boozer, okur, ak47
wizards: agent 0, butler, jamison
mavs: dirk, kidd, butler, marion, terry
houston: yao, tmac
new jersey: kidd, carter, jefferson

Ace23
12-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Teams that aren't good? So I guess the Bulls before Rose, Orlando before Dwight, NO before Chris Paul, OKC/SS before Durant etc etc. Attendance? Pistons are up there every year blah blah blah. Talent on teams is cyclical, even the "historic" teams (Celtics) have down years. I guess they should have been contracted before the KG RA trade.

Never could be worked out and of course a jack *** who teamed up with two other top players would use this ruse that he was trying to make the league "more exciting like it was" and to cover up the fact that he was just a coward.

I'm not sure if contraction is actually the best thing for the league-- since the 80's there has been an explosion in the attention basketball has received in the global marketplace. Put simply: there are more people in the world playing basketball now than ever before.

In China alone it is estimated that 300 MILLION people play basketball. The Chinese government is building 800,000 courts-- 1 per village across the entire nation. The statistics say that out of some of those hundreds of millions of people, at least some will end up being very good. That's just in China. There are literally dozens of other countries that have begun developing basketball programs and cranking out talented young players.

Does it strike anyone as odd that the only major sports league talking about contraction is the one with a two-round draft? If what everyone wants is a more competitive league, then expand the draft and develop a minor league system. Give teams an opportunity to develop players somewhere other than on the end of an NBA bench.

Make the draft 5-7 rounds, and give each major league team a minor league "feeder" team--not this NBA Europe or a Summer League nonsense--I'm talking about a dedicated minor league that focuses solely on developing talent for NBA franchises. Focus more attention on the College game, work with the NCAA to keep players in school longer, and work with College coaches to run more Pro-Style offenses.

Explore international markets--NBA China was a good step, but there are many more that need to be made. Expanding markets, not contracting markets, is the best way to continue to expand the number of people interested in basketball generally and the NBA specifically. LeBron, quite simply, is wrong. He's got the right intention, but the wrong solution.

Mell413
12-25-2010, 10:17 AM
He is right. There isn't enough talent in the NBA to support 30 teams. They should get rid of some teams. It's determining which teams to get rid of is the issue. Toronto would probably be one of the teams I would consider.

jfree31
12-25-2010, 12:22 PM
um what i meant to say was "GET ME SOME FREAKING TALENT AROUND ME" and by contracting the league it would raise the cap so better ballers could be on my team and i wouldnt have to sign for less than the max. owners are the same in every sport. they want money in their pockets too. heres an idea LEBRON, how about you play this game ou love so much for less, so us poor folks can afford to come put our broke ***** in your arenas and see these great talents you took to south beach.

JWO35
12-25-2010, 12:25 PM
The easiest thing to do is just get rid of the age limit, more stars will enter the league at an earlier rate.

If the NBA was to contract they would most likely remove teams with little or no historic background(Grizzlies, Clippers, Bobcats, etc)

jetsfan28
12-25-2010, 12:46 PM
I love that people are acting like every team was great in the past. League's in the past were just like they are now. A few great teams (like today's Heat, Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Bulls, which all have multiple great players), and then a lot of ****** teams. Let's just look at 1985-1986, middle of the 80's:

Knicks: Had a rookie Patrick Ewing and nothing else. So basically, the only thing they had going for them was that they were from New York and had a good center. The Nets are moving to Brooklyn and have Brook Lopez, Derrick Favors, and Devin Harris.
Nets: Michael Ray, Buck, and a way over the hill Chocolate Thunder. What a fantastic collection of talent.
Cavs: Basically World and no one else. I guess Hinson was decent, but nothing worth watching.
Pacers: Had a constantly injured Clark Kellogg, Herb, Tisdale, and... nothing else. Which of those guys do fans want to see?
Bullets: You might pay to see the gigantic Manute Bol (HFITG), but other than that it's Jeff Malone, Cliff Robinson, and a bunch of scrubs.
Dallas: Reminds me a lot of Minnesota now. You have Aguirre, Blackman, and Perkins, a few fun players, none of them stars, and no chance of winning.
Nuggets: Alex English, Alex English, and more Alex English. Basically, they had one guy who was fun to watch.
Kings: I honestly don't know who on that team you go to watch. Mike Woodson? Eddie Johnson? Reggie Theus? I'd much rather watch any team currently in the NBA that could be contracted, including this years Kings with Evans and Cousins.
Spurs: Not much there when you remember that Artis Gilmore was already 873 years old.
Blazers: Once Bowie gets hurt, the only thing to watch is Kiki and Clyde, which sounds more like a bromantic comedy than a basketball lineup.
Suns: The great Larry Nance and Walter Davis combo?
Clippers: I hate hating on Cedric Maxwell, Marques Johnson, and Norm Nixon, but that looks like one of the least watchable teams of all time.
Sonics: A surprisingly watchable team with Sikma, Chambers, and McDaniel, unfortunately they were awful, and coached by a guy who still can't find or keep a coaching job 25 years later in Bernie Bickerstaff.
Warriors: OK, I have to admit, Mullin, Floyd, Joe Barry Carroll, and Purvis Short sounds like one of the top 10 most entertaining bad teams ever, but they were atrocious.

The league has always had great teams and sucky teams. They still have the great teams, and they actually have LESS terrible teams now. That 23 team league had more unwatchable teams than this 30 team league.

The easiest thing to do is just get rid of the age limit, more stars will enter the league at an earlier rate.

If the NBA was to contract they would most likely remove teams with little or no historic background(Grizzlies, Clippers, Bobcats, etc)

No, suggesting that they get rid of jobs for 30 players makes a lot more sense than adding the 5-7 interesting players per year that are in the NCAA when they can be making the lower level pro teams interesting.

Giantwarrior
12-25-2010, 01:01 PM
he is pathetic and needs to stop listening to his friends.

ccugrad1
12-25-2010, 01:27 PM

You could make that comment about all professional sports, doesn't mean all the teams need to be contracted.

Mrphilly
12-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Yo do realize you called a Lebron a ******* after you put those words in his mouth. Those are your words not Lebrons.

Im sure you know a coube of bads seasons wouldnt get your team contracted, So your examples are silly. Teams like the Clippers and T Wolves would be 2 good teams to contract.

Vidball
12-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm SHOCKED (as I bet most NBA Players are) that a member of the NBAPA would be an advocate of other members of his association losing jobs...every team that would get cut off would mean over a 3% layoff for the NBAPA. You cut off 3 teams and 10% of the NBAPA would be unemployed (including a couple of his own teammates). Either he is completely selfish or he just doesn't think very clearly.

TylerSL
12-25-2010, 04:06 PM
everybody is taking this way out of context....... I would not be suprised if the people who just say "**** you Lebron" or "Lebron is stupid" even know what contraction is, they just heard that he wants something so they dont want it, its pathetic and shows what kind of a society that we have. Personally I think we need to at least entertain the idea (IDK if I would do it but I would consider it). I mean really what has anybody else came up with??? not very much that is why the NBAPA and the owners are getting nowhere. I mean it is a lockout that could happen and the NBAPA and the owners only meet like 1 time every 2 or 3 months. They should meet every ****ing day until they have an agreement. At least Lebron gave an idea............

knicks4life33
12-25-2010, 04:38 PM
So lebron pretty much wants to have 1000s of people get layed off and lose there jobs and im not just talking about the players im talking about everyone who works for the team and anything associated. Easy to say when you get a 100 million dollar contract lol

TO to the CHI
12-25-2010, 05:01 PM
everybody is taking this way out of context....... I would not be suprised if the people who just say "**** you Lebron" or "Lebron is stupid" even know what contraction is, they just heard that he wants something so they dont want it, its pathetic and shows what kind of a society that we have. .

I don't follow comments like this. I will be up front and say that I think LeBron is the best basketball player on the planet, but I don't like how he handled the situation this summer and will be rooting for the Heat experiment to fail. That being said, why do people take umbrage with anyone questioning LeBron's intelligence? His dominance as a basketball player doesn't make him intelligent (though admittedly it also assuredly does not mean he is stupid). However, LeBron never attended college (albeit for admittedly understandable reasons), focused on basketball not education his whole life, has surrounded himself with friends and sycophants rather than with more seasoned or savvy advisors, quarrelled with one of the true veteran advisors he had (World Wide Wes), made the ill advised Decision which will cost him money and respect, has made preposterous comments on Twitter, and now suggested contraction which is spitting in the face of the NBPA (whether it is a good suggestion or not).

I guess this post is a tangent to the thread, but really, why would anyone be offended by LeBron's intelligence being questioned. What has he done to suggest otherwise. Unlike many of his peers (Shaq and Chuck come to mind) he isn't quotable in a witty or intelligent way. I guess I just don't see the outrage over someone questioning the comment.

kdman77
12-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm SHOCKED (as I bet most NBA Players are) that a member of the NBAPA would be an advocate of other members of his association losing jobs...every team that would get cut off would mean over a 3% layoff for the NBAPA. You cut off 3 teams and 10% of the NBAPA would be unemployed (including a couple of his own teammates). Either he is completely selfish or he just doesn't think very clearly.

Can't we choose both?

shep33
12-25-2010, 05:22 PM
probably shouldn't have said it... I mean all those "other" cities that he goes to for away games actually benefit Lebron's income, so that didn't make much sense, but whatever not a big deal at all.

pippsux
12-25-2010, 05:25 PM
I agree with Lebron. Too many teams that are NEVER relevant or competing for a ring. Reduce the league to 16 teams and 4 seeded teams in the playoffs. So essentially skip the 1st round.

ccugrad1
12-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I agree with Lebron. Too many teams that are NEVER relevant or competing for a ring. Reduce the league to 16 teams and 4 seeded teams in the playoffs. So essentially skip the 1st round.

I am curious as to whom you think should stay? You could argue that the Knicks, Clippers, and Nets have been irrelevant for many years. Do you suggest getting rid of them? That would be three teams from some of the biggest areas in the entire United States!

streetballa
12-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I am curious as to whom you think should stay? You could argue that the Knicks, Clippers, and Nets have been irrelevant for many years. Do you suggest getting rid of them? That would be three teams from some of the biggest areas in the entire United States!

How about teams that cannot draw a crowd, even when their team is winning. Hawks and Hornets come to mind, winning records but 25th and 28th in attendance respectively. Imagine if the talent from those teams was spread around the league to teams like Detroit (yes I am a Pistons fan) who have relatively low attendance (but still higher than the Hawks and Hornets) because their teams suck, but will show up if their teams are competitive.

ccugrad1
12-25-2010, 09:27 PM
How about teams that cannot draw a crowd, even when their team is winning. Hawks and Hornets come to mind, winning records but 25th and 28th in attendance respectively. Imagine if the talent from those teams was spread around the league to teams like Detroit (yes I am a Pistons fan) who have relatively low attendance (but still higher than the Hawks and Hornets) because their teams suck, but will show up if their teams are competitive.

How do you get rid of teams that are winning, even despite attendance? That makes no sense!

MiamiWadeCounty
12-25-2010, 09:30 PM
teams cut:
nets - lebron said so...worst team in nba too
wolves - well they suck
hornets - nba owns them so its all good
bobcats (sorry jordan)
kings - dont worry you still got the lakers and GS
clippers - same as kings

league goes to 24 teams. 12 in each conference. 4 in each division. 6 make playoffs. 1st and 2nd see get byes.

streetballa
12-25-2010, 09:32 PM
How do you get rid of teams that are winning, even despite attendance? That makes no sense!

If you get why Lebron even said he favors contraction it makes even more sense. You move the talent to teams and spread it around, and those teams are struggling financially right now anyways. If people are not showing up then there is no point to keep a team in that market, it is a business if you have an amazing business it will fail if no one comes to spend money at it. Spread the talent, weak markets should be eliminated to help strong markets grow.

jetsfan28
12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
If you get why Lebron even said he favors contraction it makes even more sense. You move the talent to teams and spread it around, and those teams are struggling financially right now anyways. If people are not showing up then there is no point to keep a team in that market, it is a business if you have an amazing business it will fail if no one comes to spend money at it. Spread the talent, weak markets should be eliminated to help strong markets grow.

He said he favors contraction because teams in the past had multiple superstars, making the league better. Which, as I already pointed out, is a ludicrous argument, because just as many teams now have superstars as in the 80's, and there were a lot more bad teams then than there are now.

knicks4life33
12-27-2010, 05:03 PM
get rid of the heat no fans show up to the games and send there players to other markets with better fan bases like sacremento ,atlanta charlotte lol theres contraction for ya lebron

WeBallin
12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
All this Contarction talk jus goes to show its too many players in the league claimin there stars an really they not, but you bottom feeders BANKIN a ton, all this contraction talk in my opinion is exposin all these players an why a LOCKOUT is very near an prolly well deserved!!!!

td0tsfinest
12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
So now Lebron is saying he doesn't support contraction. Even saying he doesn't know what the word contraction means.

Tony_Starks
12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
The problem isn't the amount of teams its a combination of the salary cap and moronic owners and gms. When you have guys that are constantly drafting poorly, trading poorly, and signing foolish contracts for horrible players then who's fault is that?

BALLER R
12-27-2010, 07:48 PM
lebrons a dumbass point blank period

JPHX
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
So now Lebron is saying he doesn't support contraction. Even saying he doesn't know what the word contraction means.

wow. you would think he would rather look guilty than incompetent.

Ace23
12-28-2010, 01:10 AM

You are really confused and really bad at economics. When you eliminate weak market segments you are removing potential consumers from your total market, that's called bad business.

If parity and competitiveness are a concern, then you need to look at the policies and procedures in place designed to encourage them (which is the real source of the problem), not merely address the symptoms ("bad" teams and low attendance in certain markets). Likewise, if you're having attendance problems, you need to look at the underlying problems: ineffective marketing, high ticket prices, lack of a competitive product, etc and address those in an appropriate manner.

Ace23
12-28-2010, 01:11 AM
wow. you would think he would rather look guilty than incompetent.

Hasn't LeBron proven that he isn't adept at marketing and public relations?

Dade County
12-28-2010, 02:22 AM
get rid of the heat no fans show up to the games and send there players to other markets with better fan bases like sacremento ,atlanta charlotte lol theres contraction for ya lebron

Crake is a hell of a drug :D I am a HEAT fan so I had to, but I do think that Sacremento has a very good fan bass, when their team is wining of course.

I'm surprise no one has talked about this but, sooner then later we will be seeing World Champions instead of NBA Champions. A league with no borders.

Jaji
12-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't think he was talking about contraction. He was talking about HIS situation. Good players leaving crappy teams and going to good teams. Why should Kevin Love waste his career in Minnesooohhhta? It took Garnett over a decade to figure that out. One year in Bahstin... ship.

That's what he was saying. Keep the bottom feeders. Keep the Cavs. But make more super teams. More Big 3s. Man people LOVE to criticize this guy lol.

SteBO
12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
lebrons a dumbass point blank period

:facepalm:

h2r09
12-28-2010, 11:33 AM
You are really confused and really bad at economics. When you eliminate weak market segments you are removing potential consumers from your total market, that's called bad business.

If parity and competitiveness are a concern, then you need to look at the policies and procedures in place designed to encourage them (which is the real source of the problem), not merely address the symptoms ("bad" teams and low attendance in certain markets). Likewise, if you're having attendance problems, you need to look at the underlying problems: ineffective marketing, high ticket prices, lack of a competitive product, etc and address those in an appropriate manner.

ummmm... isnt that what lebron is talking about?

its plain and simple, the league would be a lot better with less teams from a competitive standpoint.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
:facepalm:

So would you call a 25 year old male (who also happens to be a mega millionaire and global icon) that doesn't know what the word "contraction" means an intelligent person?

Or do you :facepalm: because someone insulted LBJ, and lord knows every heat fan has to :facepalm:anyone that doesn't praise LBJ.

SteBO
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
So would you call a 25 year old male (who also happens to be a mega millionaire and global icon) that doesn't know what the word "contraction" means an intelligent person?

Or do you :facepalm: because someone insulted LBJ, and lord knows every heat fan has to :facepalm:anyone that doesn't praise LBJ.

I :facepalm: at anyone who calls players a dumbass because he doesn't know something. That's why I :facepalm:ed you. Just because he doesn't know what a word means doesn't make him a dumbass. If you read my posts you wouldn't be posting foolish things like this. I also suggest you stop generalizing heat fans because you clearly don't all of them. No offense to you, but I'm just sick of the LeBron bashing in almost every NBA thread. As a heat fan, it's easy to get defensive about your team when every other fanbase rips them unecessarily over silly things. It's really annoying, but we got to accept it. It's who we are now.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I :facepalm: at anyone who calls players a dumbass because he doesn't know something. That's why I :facepalm:ed you. Just because he doesn't know what a word means doesn't make him a dumbass. If you read my posts you wouldn't be posting foolish things like this. I also suggest you stop generalizing heat fans because you clearly don't all of them. No offense to you, but I'm just sick of the LeBron bashing in almost every NBA thread. As a heat fan, it's easy to get defensive about your team when every other fanbase rips them unecessarily over silly things. It's really annoying, but we got to accept it. It's who we are now.

Actually it wasn't me you quoted, but that doesn't matter. And your post here has 2 directions, 1 of which has nothing to do with the subject.

Not knowing the meaning of a word such as "contraction" may not mean a person is a complete dumbass, but it doesn't mean that the person is actually very intelligent either. Works both ways there. Being 25 and a global icon, to not know the meaning of that word, especially when the day before you do an interview talking about it, to me seems like a person that is not too intelligent, especially when they say it to the media who will report it to the whole world.

As for your 2nd point, I take your :facepalm: as a simple defense mechanism whenever someone insults LBJ or the heat in general. It happens. But your facepalming back to someone who says something bad about the heat is no better than the actual person who says something about the heat. Its their opinion, and you are insulting it with your :facepalm: , when that person did nothing to you except give their opinion to a sports forum.

So say what you want, that people attack the heat, but half the time when you try to fight back with the people and just facepalm them with no text after, your only making the matters worse for the heat fanbase.

SteBO
12-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Actually it wasn't me you quoted, but that doesn't matter. And your post here has 2 directions, 1 of which has nothing to do with the subject.

Not knowing the meaning of a word such as "contraction" may not mean a person is a complete dumbass, but it doesn't mean that the person is actually very intelligent either. Works both ways there. Being 25 and a global icon, to not know the meaning of that word, especially when the day before you do an interview talking about it, to me seems like a person that is not too intelligent, especially when they say it to the media who will report it to the whole world.

As for your 2nd point, I take your :facepalm: as a simple defense mechanism whenever someone insults LBJ or the heat in general. It happens. But your facepalming back to someone who says something bad about the heat is no better than the actual person who says something about the heat. Its their opinion, and you are insulting it with your :facepalm: , when that person did nothing to you except give their opinion to a sports forum.

So say what you want, that people attack the heat, but half the time when you try to fight back with the people, your only making the matters worse for the heat fanbase.

You're right, i quoted the wrong guy. I apologize for that, my bad :o My facepalm wasn't intended to offend anyone, bt not knowing a word doesn't mean you aren't intelligent. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. BTW, calling him a dumbass may be an opinion, but it's also a personal attack that isn't necessary. I'm sticking up for my fanbase. Whether you accept that or not is your choice