PDA

View Full Version : Is A Continuing Euro Invasion Going To Save The NBA?

JimmyCarter
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
The number of international (especially European) players in the NBA is on a steady incline. My question is, are these Europeans gonna save the NBA? I sure hope so, the conduct of the NBA European players always seems very professional and classy. The conduct of NBA players from right here in America, is worrisome and outright scary sometimes. I know it's not their fault, our society is failing our lower class (which a lot of NBA players come from) so one can't blame them if they have no idea to act professionally because they grew up with a drug dealer for an older brother and a crackhead for a mother. I'm just hoping the European players from totally different backgrounds can teach the American players about class and professionalism.

statquo
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
sounds like the real jimmy carter.

TheHoopsProphet
12-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Well Mr President,

I think the more euros the better. But maybe thats me being bias. What really is going to save the NBA is two things.

1) Lakers championships!!!!!!!!!!!

and 2) Thundersticks! We need more Thundersticks!

king4day
12-23-2010, 05:24 PM
The reason I say no is simply due to what Milicic said earlier this year. When with the Pistons, his lack of PT made him not try as hard.
People are people, no matter what country they come from.

m26555
12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
There are plenty of scumbag European athletes.

jaysfan46
12-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Absolutely, I question the OP's intentions.

An influx of European talent will help the NBA because simply it will grow the game meaning more talent from more diverse areas of the world. The conduct of these players as a group has very little to do with it IMO.

TheHoopsProphet
12-23-2010, 05:33 PM

If being a scumbag means using north-south lateral footwork like Manuel "the hawk" Ginobe, making clutch fade away shots like Dirk "strawberry groovin' since 78" Nowitzki, bringing fiesty defense to get under players skins like Sasha "macaroni without the cheese" Vujacic, having a pass-first mentality like Paul "the great wall of china" Gasol, then bring in the scumbags I say!

end world hunger, vote for manuel ginobe into the allstar game. dont cry for me argentina.

TheHoopsProphet
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Absolutely, I question the OP's intentions.

An influx of European talent will help the NBA because simply it will grow the game meaning more talent from more diverse areas of the world. The conduct of these players as a group has very little to do with it IMO.

xenophobic rhetoric has never ended without someone having to lose blood over it.

CityofTreez
12-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Cause this Spanish team is the definition of classy & professional (http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2008/08/this_undated_photo_provided_by_seur_taken_in_madri _3224029104.JPG)

TheHoopsProphet
12-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Cause this Spanish team is the definition of classy & professional (http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2008/08/this_undated_photo_provided_by_seur_taken_in_madri _3224029104.JPG)

ure mind is so dirty that you are not able to see that we normal humanoids dont think like yourself, clearly they are saying we dont have athleticism of USA but we have brains, and we will outsmart them with our thinking!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
end world hunger, vote for manuel ginobe into the allstar game. dont cry for me argentina.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

jaysfan46
12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
ure mind is so dirty that you are not able to see that we normal humanoids dont think like yourself, clearly they are saying we dont have athleticism of USA but we have brains, and we will outsmart them with our thinking!

Let's just say that's what I hope they mean.

PAOboston
12-23-2010, 05:45 PM

or nenad krstic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9O9FjX5ewM&feature=related

abe_froman
12-23-2010, 05:47 PM
i wasnt aware that the nba was in need of saving,guess you learn something new everyday

ULT WARRIOR408
12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but heres my answer to the thread.I don't know if the influx of Euros in the NBA is saving them but it dose not hurt them.Its not just Euros coming to the NBA either.You've got players that are coming from all of kind places like various latin countries.I have no problem with Euros or any other group of people in the NBA.If you can play than you can play.It can help worldwide viewing.

xILLN355
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I didnt know every NBA player not from Europe had a crack dealer for a brother and a crackhead for a mother?

Bruno
12-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Save the NBA from what?

Hellcrooner
12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Id better not get to intense into this thread.........

And to the one talking bout the "chinese pic" You know here in 1950 there werent separate w.c or some people had to go behind in the bus.

We didnt have a kkk-.

O wait kkk still exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do i judge ALL americans for some morons that enjoy dressing like gay phantoms?
NO.

Btw there are european idiotic athlets too that crash their expensive cars when they are driving drunk in the night .

Most of them play soccer tough.-

Tony_Starks
12-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Im guessing threadstarter is a big Dukes of Hazard fan.... just guessing.

John Walls Era
12-23-2010, 07:46 PM
IDC where they are from as long as they're good.

Evolution23
12-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I see what you are saying but no

John Walls Era
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
If being a scumbag means using north-south lateral footwork like Manuel "the hawk" Ginobe, making clutch fade away shots like Dirk "strawberry groovin' since 78" Nowitzki, bringing fiesty defense to get under players skins like Sasha "macaroni without the cheese" Vujacic, having a pass-first mentality like Paul "the great wall of china" Gasol, then bring in the scumbags I say!

:confused:

John Walls Era
12-23-2010, 07:49 PM

And to the one talking bout the "chinese pic" You know here in 1950 there werent separate w.c or some people had to go behind in the bus.

We didnt have a kkk-.

NO.

Btw there are european idiotic athlets too that crash their expensive cars when they are driving drunk in the night .

:speechless:

Evolution23
12-23-2010, 07:50 PM
All I know is Darco is gona be my kids roll model

Evolution23
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
This is going to get closed becasue people are going to throw out some racist ****

J_M_B
12-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Since when was the NBA in need of saving?

Bruno
12-23-2010, 07:59 PM

We didnt have a kkk-.

NO.

What does that have to do with european players saving the NBA?

What does the NBA need to be saved from?

Tony_Starks
12-23-2010, 08:01 PM
This is going to get closed becasue people are going to throw out some racist ****

I hope it doesn't get closed. It both amazes and entertains me to hear stereotypical rhetoric like this. Its a very good reminder of the mindset thats still out there. I can't even call it racist, to me its more just plain ignorant.

edit*

I also would be interested to know if threadstarter is really this foolish enough to believe his own bs or is he just getting his David Duke on just for kicks to stir the pot? Something tells me its the latter.....

heatking
12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
The 3 kings saved the nba.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Since when was the NBA in need of saving?

Since Larry and Magic Retired and it became a Muscles , jumping and fitness Contest of hyped up to the max ballhogging and chuking Mj clones┐?

Evolution23
12-23-2010, 08:31 PM
I hope it doesn't get closed. It both amazes and entertains me to hear stereotypical rhetoric like this. Its a very good reminder of the mindset thats still out there. I can't even call it racist, to me its more just plain ignorant.

edit*

I also would be interested to know if threadstarter is really this foolish enough to believe his own bs or is he just getting his David Duke on just for kicks to stir the pot? Something tells me its the latter.....

Yeah ignorance leads to racism because people are just so far isolated from whats going on.

CityofTreez
12-23-2010, 08:51 PM

wtf kind of rebuttal is this?

magichatnumber9
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Nature Boy

Bruno
12-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Since Larry and Magic Retired and it became a Muscles , jumping and fitness Contest of hyped up to the max ballhogging and chuking Mj clones┐?

Then don't watch Crooner. The players in the NBA today are in there because they are better than everybody else, period.

Sox72
12-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Save the NBA how? By introducing the "soccer flop". Europeans are such pu****s

Mudvayne91
12-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Save the NBA? I'd rather have a league full of Rodmans over a bunch of soft sissy *ss flopping players. Flopping is the most classless thing a player can do. It's fair to say not every euro flops, but there are enough flopping Euros in the league already that give the rest a bad name.

I do want to say we tend to classify Argentina as a European country when they're a South American team. That place is by far the worst place when it comes to flopping. I watch a lot of EPL soccer and that country is by far the worst when it comes to breeding floppers. Honestly, a lot of the Spanish influenced places are the hot spots for flopping, but Portugal and Argentina are the worst.

SchyGuy11
12-23-2010, 09:57 PM
**** them they can stay in Europe!

Hellcrooner
12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Save the NBA? I'd rather have a league full of Rodmans over a bunch of soft sissy *ss flopping players. Flopping is the most classless thing a player can do. It's fair to say not every euro flops, but there are enough flopping Euros in the league already that give the rest a bad name.

I do want to say we tend to classify Argentina as a European country when they're a South American team. That place is by far the worst place when it comes to flopping. I watch a lot of EPL soccer and that country is by far the worst when it comes to breeding floppers. Honestly, a lot of the Spanish influenced places are the hot spots for flopping, but Portugal and Argentina are the worst.

Save the NBA how? By introducing the "soccer flop". Europeans are such pu****s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Laimbeer

Laimbeer was despised by opposing players and fans for committing hard fouls himself, while seeming to bait officials into calling fouls on opponents by flopping to the ground after slight contact

we brought nothing.

Bornknick73
12-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I thought this thread was about fundamentals. Euro players are fundamentally sound if not a bit on the soft side

jim51990
12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
no need to be saved and how the hell are they scary what does that even mean. I just want the best players if some euros can ball bring em over if there a bunch of soft players that can't compete on the highest level keep them out

el_primo_nano
12-24-2010, 12:40 PM
The NBA could do without Euro's. Yes there are some great players, but the league wont die out if they stop coming here..

Bullsfan22
12-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Lmao leave Kobe alone.

el_primo_nano
12-24-2010, 12:56 PM

Spaniards have been known to be the one of the racist Euro's.. I wasnt surprised by that. There is no place in the league for that kind of b.s...

PHX2daDEATH
12-24-2010, 06:06 PM
if the european players can assassinate David Stern then yes.. they will save the NBA, but leave that to the American players since they are the gun toting, weed smoking gangsters right..

Hellcrooner
12-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Lmao leave Kobe alone.

I wasnt thinking bout kobe , he has fundamentals.

mrblisterdundee
12-24-2010, 06:30 PM
It will bolster the overall talent level in the NBA. All teams will be better, even if not compared to their rivals. Ultimately, though, the NBA is a luxury item and dependent on what happens to the parts of the economy that actually effects the lives of people who might or might not buy tickets.
Ending the wars, for example, would help NBA teams financially. People would get disposable income back from the taxes no longer spent on the wars and would thus have a higher likelihood of buying tickets, if they had been thinking about whether or not to buy those tickets.

Hellcrooner
12-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Spaniards have been known to be the one of the racist Euro's.. I wasnt surprised by that. There is no place in the league for that kind of b.s...

Innacurate biased racist post.

godolphins
12-24-2010, 11:43 PM
or nenad krstic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9O9FjX5ewM&feature=related

You can't judge all of them by the action of one euro player

Sixerlover
12-25-2010, 01:02 AM

What do you expect in an inaccurate, biased, racist thread?

I mean seriously? Most NBA players mothers were crackheads and older brothers were drug dealers? Are you serious?

The conduct is scary in the NBA, but everything in the NHL, MLB and NFL is just peachy huh? We're scared of the big bad black NBA players? This thread is a joke. David Stern has done a lot of restructuring from the Jailblazers / Brawl at the Palace days of the league and they might have the least legal problems off the court / field, yet this sterotype is still there. Horrible.

Korman12
12-25-2010, 01:42 AM
I won't get into how horrible put together that opening to the thread was, nor how stereotyped it could be, but the NBA isn't in need of "saving." Could it be better? Sure. Saving happens before something dies a horrible death, and other than a possible lockout, that's not happening.

But, it doesn't matter if more Euro/World talent comes, as long as their good. Good players anywhere are good for the league.

thekmp211
12-25-2010, 02:30 AM
....yeah, this is bad.

Nate David+ Co.
12-25-2010, 03:24 AM
What do you expect in an inaccurate, biased, racist thread?

I mean seriously? Most NBA players mothers were crackheads and older brothers were drug dealers? Are you serious?

The conduct is scary in the NBA, but everything in the NHL, MLB and NFL is just peachy huh? We're scared of the big bad black NBA players? This thread is a joke. David Stern has done a lot of restructuring from the Jailblazers / Brawl at the Palace days of the league and they might have the least legal problems off the court / field, yet this sterotype is still there. Horrible.

I agree totally man. i mean everyones scared of the big black players but yet hockey can fight all they want :facepalm:
how are europeans gonna save the nba? the american players bring the intensity they bring because:
a) they strive to be the best ever
b) they realize the nba is a way out, a way of making money get out of the ghetto
c) both a and b

tons of nba players come from the ghetto and its make or break with them

this thread is ********. no disrespect but it truly is.

Mudvayne91
12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Laimbeer

we brought nothing.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get at. Edit - nevermind, you're tryin to say Laimbeer was a mean mofo and he flopped, I think. Would you compare Laimbeer's play/mentality to a Manu though or any European for that matter?
And anyone that flop plays like a sissy.

I'm just saying there are a lot of Euros that think it is acceptable to flop and they try to perfect it. That's why you see many of Europeans in the NBA flopping at a high percent in comparison to a very large majority of Americans not flopping.

And I'll be the first to tell you ALL players that flop are pieces of.... it isn't just Euro floppers. Idk his first name, but Neil(American) from SA was flopping all over last Wednesday. He was falling over even before contact was made. I lost all respect for him.

Ok, I'm assuming you are a fan of soccer or futbol being from or living in Spain. How do you feel when the opposing player phantomly goes down and is acting like he's never been in worse pain just so he can try to convince the ref to give a card? Also, how do you feel when it is your player that is doing the acting and trying to draw a card? Be honest.

AIRMAR72
12-25-2010, 02:02 PM
euro guys play da game like they used to play it in the 70s-80s pure skills required

BHF
12-25-2010, 02:38 PM
this is like reading yahoo comments holly **** some of u are ignorant and racist

Mudvayne91
12-25-2010, 03:07 PM
^ if you're referring to me

A. Europeans aren't a race
B. I said I hate all floppers. The problem is with the small % of non Americans in the NBA, a lot of them flop or fall down phantomly.

Jaji
12-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Save the NBA from what? :confused:

Hellcrooner
12-25-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get at. Edit - nevermind, you're tryin to say Laimbeer was a mean mofo and he flopped, I think. Would you compare Laimbeer's play/mentality to a Manu though or any European for that matter?
And anyone that flop plays like a sissy.

I'm just saying there are a lot of Euros that think it is acceptable to flop and they try to perfect it. That's why you see many of Europeans in the NBA flopping at a high percent in comparison to a very large majority of Americans not flopping.

And I'll be the first to tell you ALL players that flop are pieces of.... it isn't just Euro floppers. Idk his first name, but Neil(American) from SA was flopping all over last Wednesday. He was falling over even before contact was made. I lost all respect for him.

Ok, I'm assuming you are a fan of soccer or futbol being from or living in Spain. How do you feel when the opposing player phantomly goes down and is acting like he's never been in worse pain just so he can try to convince the ref to give a card? Also, how do you feel when it is your player that is doing the acting and trying to draw a card? Be honest.

In soccer you just assume it, it has been that way forever.

In Nba theres a REASOn for "flopping" and its the diference of bodys, strenght and athleticism.

If Shaq crashes with Dwight in a fast break they both have massive amounts of muscle that allow them to somehow not fall to the floor, now take one of the, taking a charge on Dirk or Pau who weight significantly less and its obvious the collision is going to send them to the floor.-

Stuckey#3
12-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I think Stern was banking on the NBA becoming as big as soccer in Europe... which it could have expanded a great deal but won't any time soon do to the state of the European economy.

NYKalltheway
12-25-2010, 09:44 PM
I think Stern was banking on the NBA becoming as big as soccer in Europe... which it could have expanded a great deal but won't any time soon do to the state of the European economy.

NBA had its chance to become big in Europe in the mid90s. The collapse of the league after Jordan retired (2nd time) ensured that the NBA will never grow any bigger than that. And with the rise of European basketball in countries like Germany and the promotions starting next month with live broadcasts in China... I think the NBA is in trouble and more people will elect to go to Europe to play basketball, just as it happens with every other sport in the world besides ice hockey (NFL and MLB are not international. Japan and a few caribbean countries do not make a sport international...)

This year's lockout might see the end of the NBA=top league and might cause a hard collision between the two worlds. Who says that Melo and Duncan will not sign for a year at a European team? Duncan might even elect to retire in Europe and with the new marketing European basketball has, it might cause a lot of international interest. You may think this is crap talk etc, but those who feel like that have no knowledge of the situation. You'd think that Europe is suffering financially, but sports and the people behind them do not.
And even if Europe will never emerge as the top continent for basketball in the coming years, it will definitely lose interest and respect towards the NBA. And that will be a huge blow for Stern. Because so far the only countries that are more into NBA than their own leagues is England and Germany. And England has the worse league possible, even worse than countries with less than 1m population, and Germany has started developing basketball more recently, after 2005 with their 2nd spot in EuroBasket...

So for those who say that there is nothing the NBA should be worried about. It has Europe to worry about. And with a lockout it might cause a new status quo in basketball.

Just imagine: Melo in Turkey, Duncan in Italy, Jamal Crawford to Spain, Caron Butler to Serbia, Nene to Spain, Barea to Spain, Battier to Italy, Zach Randolph to Russia, Arroyo to Israel, Vujacic to Spain, Belinelli to Italy, Marc Gasol to Spain, Stojakovic to Greece, Dragic to Greece, Kirilenko to Russia, David West to Poland, Krstic to Greece, Landry to Spain, Barbosa to Russia....

and many other free agents moving over since there's no reason to stay without income in 2011/12 season. And Europe will give them exactly that if they see the opportunity to overcome the NBA in popularity. And given that there'll be no pro basketball in the States, what stops ESPN or NBC or I don't know who else in the USA from buying the rights of European basketball leagues? If fans can't see their teams play, they may as well just watch Melo vs Duncan in Italian or Turkish league...

So to really answer the topic's question, the more European players SUCCEED in the NBA, the better it is for the league. As long as more Europeans want to go to the NBA because there's more publicity, the better it is for the NBA. Europe loses talent, NBA gains more European fans (example with Gallinari and NY fans in Italy, and many Spanish people might like the Timberwolves with Rubio and follow them in the long run)

el_primo_nano
12-26-2010, 05:13 PM

my greatgrandfather is Basque, so dont call me racist. You remember what Aragones told Reyes about Henry a couple of years ago? yea ok. That picture wasnt racist? ok. what about Eto'o and him almost walking out because of Racist fans in Barca, AND Kameni IN HIS OWN STADIUM. Just stating the facts..

Hellcrooner
12-26-2010, 08:28 PM
my greatgrandfather is Basque, so dont call me racist. You remember what Aragones told Reyes about Henry a couple of years ago? yea ok. That picture wasnt racist? ok. what about Eto'o and him almost walking out because of Racist fans in Barca, AND Kameni IN HIS OWN STADIUM. Just stating the facts..

1 What an old grumpy ignorant uneducated bastard says does not picture the WHOLE of a countrys people, sorry but Luis Aragones is pretty much the lowest kinda scum of people it exits here, btw this kind of people exist everywhere i mean do i have to judge every german for what Hitler did? do i have to judge evey american basing on Charles Manson? Maybe judge all americans on the Cop that beat Rodney King?
Thats B.S

2 Etoo was mocked in ZARAGOZA ( where i live) , its not uncommon that soccer hooligans from EVERYWHERE in europe boo the oposing teams playing and mock them on wahtever thing they can i mean if you are a bald player they will attack your baldness if you look like a horse they will make horse noises, if you look a bit afeminate they will mock you for it etc etc.
Its not right but it happens everywhere where soccer is played.
Btw Soccer hooligans tend to be Uncultured , stupid people that do not represent their countrys societys.

So dont give me that ****.

Of course i understand that you grandfather may be fond of ETA and have some funny/strange/unnacurates ideas on the "Spanish" becaus eof the fact of being Basque and maybe heavily influenced by Sabino Arana or simply crossed the pound when Spain was indeed a different country filled of horror because of the stupid Moron that was a dictator from 1938-1976.

thekmp211
12-26-2010, 09:44 PM
1 What an old grumpy ignorant uneducated bastard says does not picture the WHOLE of a countrys people, sorry but Luis Aragones is pretty much the lowest kinda scum of people it exits here, btw this kind of people exist everywhere i mean do i have to judge every german for what Hitler did? do i have to judge evey american basing on Charles Manson? Maybe judge all americans on the Cop that beat Rodney King?
Thats B.S

2 Etoo was mocked in ZARAGOZA ( where i live) , its not uncommon that soccer hooligans from EVERYWHERE in europe boo the oposing teams playing and mock them on wahtever thing they can i mean if you are a bald player they will attack your baldness if you look like a horse they will make horse noises, if you look a bit afeminate they will mock you for it etc etc.
Its not right but it happens everywhere where soccer is played.
Btw Soccer hooligans tend to be Uncultured , stupid people that do not represent their countrys societys.

So dont give me that ****.

Of course i understand that you grandfather may be fond of ETA and have some funny/strange/unnacurates ideas on the "Spanish" becaus eof the fact of being Basque and maybe heavily influenced by Sabino Arana or simply crossed the pound when Spain was indeed a different country filled of horror because of the stupid Moron that was a dictator from 1938-1976.

crooner, you got a keyboard! congrats man :clap: :D