PDA

View Full Version : the death of the true center

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 04:17 PM
im a young nba fan but i have to be put thru the flashback of older fans talking about true big men from the past stories of bill walton, oscar, kareem, wilt, the decline of shaq. now a days we have hybrid pf/c also known as big man the stars now a days are all power forwards who are the biggest on their team so they are put at center howard, gasol, stoudamire, bosh, dirk, duncan all of them are hybrid pf/c can anyone explain to me how is it that the true centers of the past are no longer out here

nygiants242
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
They are all (well, mostly) soft and it's really sad to see.

210Don
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
howard is a center he will never play pf lol and roy hibbert could be a good center

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 04:26 PM
i could only think of some like bynum,oden, and maybe bogut

drama1386
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I also think that bogut is a good example of a true center.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Bynum is a true center for sure

Avenged
12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
What about Dwight? true center to me.

drama1386
12-23-2010, 04:34 PM
What about Dwight? true center to me.

yup. howard is def. a true center. so is bynum.

Iodine
12-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Cool story bro

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 04:35 PM
cris kaman :( unfortunately he fits the bill as a center

THE GIPPER
12-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I would say Kendrick Perkins is a true center also

Iodine
12-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Also who the hell is oscar?
If your referring to the big O you might want to recheck his position

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 04:40 PM
i dnt see how perkins is a center plz explain

joeboow90
12-23-2010, 04:41 PM
^^lmao word i know youre not referring to Oscar Robertson 1 of the best pg's of all time as a center...SMH..

THE GIPPER
12-23-2010, 04:46 PM
i dnt see how perkins is a center plz explain

Ok if you dont think he's a center then what is he???

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
my bad mistake

abe_froman
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
-there are still a ton around-perk,bogut,yao,oden to name a few

versatility isnt a bad thing,its the price of progress..why have a guy that can only play one position for you when you can train a guy who you can mix and match with.

and who the3 hell is oscar???

Gators123
12-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Kwame Brown is a true center.....Just not a very good one.

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 04:52 PM
perkins looks and plays like a power forward he plays like kevin love and al jefferson

Gators123
12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
perkins looks and plays like a power forward he plays like kevin love and al jefferson

uhh, no.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Kwame Brown is a true center.....Just not a very good one.

no he played PF with Mihm/bynum as a center when he was on the lakers if I remember correctly

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
then who does kendrick perkins play like he plays more like jefferson than a young shaq

Shammyguy3
12-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Perkins plays nothing like Jefferson. Jefferson is a poor rebounder and a bad defender, and he's been known to shoot jumper after jumper. Perkins plays within 10 feet of the basket and plays very good defense and rebounds well.

Perkins is most definitely the 'traditional' center.

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
perkins cannot play with his back to the basket

yankeesown69
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Well now people might say that Dwight is a true center but when he was drafted he was thought to be a hybrid garnett type. He was considered a power forward that most likely would play center.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d05/tracker/player?playerId=18627

Gilly1254
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Dwight, Bynum, Bogut, Yao, Marc Gasol, Oden, Idk was gonna say al Jefferson but not sure bout him, Tyson Chandler, Perkins is for sure a C. Those are all true centers IMO.

Gilly1254
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Dirk, Pau, duncan all play well with their back to baskets but are all better suited at PF... Invalid point.

dannyh1469
12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
yao i cannot consider him a center anymore due to the fact tha he got injured and is now probably ready to retire

Corey
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Says who?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Perkins plays nothing like Jefferson. Jefferson is a poor rebounder and a bad defender, and he's been known to shoot jumper after jumper. Perkins plays within 10 feet of the basket and plays very good defense and rebounds well.

Perkins is most definitely the 'traditional' center.

nope

Corey
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
nope

....Oh?

Perk's averaged 8 rebounds per game the last two seasons on a team that has Garnett, Pierce and Rondo who are all good rebounders for their position.

How is Perk NOT a good rebounder? I'd love to hear.

tredigs
12-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Don't think I've seen Joakim Noah's name mentioned, but he's a true center.

But it's true, they're few and far between. Both the center and PF spots have altered significantly over the past decade. That said, the championship squads almost always have great/"traditional" bigs.

I just wish that more of the young guys here got to see more of what Robinson/Hakeem in their prime were capable of, so they could see what a truly dominant two-way center looks like (I know a lot of you have, and it's the reason why you're scratching your heads at todays league). It's not as if GM's aren't dying for them (see: Oden), they just haven't come about for one reason or another. I wish we had that in the NBA right now, though Tim is a good representation of what it looks like.

210Don
12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
this is a over reaction there will always be true centers. right now is the era pf the pgs.there was a big man era also . it just changes every now and again

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2010, 05:53 PM
....Oh?

Perk's averaged 8 rebounds per game the last two seasons on a team that has Garnett, Pierce and Rondo who are all good rebounders for their position.

How is Perk NOT a good rebounder? I'd love to hear.

Why everyone thinks that Rondo is a good rebounder??
4.6 rpg??CP3 gets the same amount in 4 lesser minutes and hes 1 inch shorter.

I don't consider 8 rpg for perkins a good rebounding performance.

and you cant use that excuse about Perkins, cause garnett was injured and was averaging only 8rpg.KG didn't affect his rebounding that much.

The same excuse could be said about bynum though, cause he has Odom and Pau in front of him who are both 10+ rebounders.Might as well throw in Bryant with 6 rpg.

Corey
12-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Why everyone thinks that Rondo is a good rebounder??
4.6 rpg??CP3 gets the same amount in 4 lesser minutes and hes 1 inch shorter.

I don't consider 8 rpg for perkins a good rebounding performance.

you cant use that excuse about Perkins, cause garnett was injured and was averaging only 8rpg.KG didn't affect his rebounding that much.

The same excuse could be said about bynum though, cause he has Odom and Pau in front of him who are both 10+ rebounders.Might as well throw in Bryant as well with 6 rpg.

Last I checked, 4.6 RPG for a point guard IS good.

It's funny that you don't think KG affects his rebounding numbers as well, but whatever.

PS: Perk's per 36 rebounding averages the past two seasons? 10 per game.

ewing
12-23-2010, 05:59 PM

and he is worse facing it. Dude is defensive center. Was Chris Dudley not a center b/c he couldn't score?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Last I checked, 4.6 RPG for a point guard IS good.

It's funny that you don't think KG affects his rebounding numbers as well, but whatever.

PS: Perk's per 36 rebounding averages the past two seasons? 10 per game.

I'm not saying he's a bad one either but he's just an average one.

A good rebounding center should get 10+ boards per game
(Gasol, Dwight, Horford, Biedrins, Noah, Bogut and few others)

Bruno
12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Howard-Yao-Bogut-Bynum-Marc Gasol-Perkins--Noah-Horford-Brook-Hibbert.

You could argue that these guys are all true centers who play mostly within the paint.

smith&wesson
12-23-2010, 06:44 PM
depends on your definition of a true center.

you have to understand that the rules in the nba were different in the past,
the ruff and rugged centres of the past were ideal to those times where the rules werent structured to compliment wing players as they are now.

the game is more of an offensive today then it was in the old days where it the rules were made to be suited for more of a defensive game and less scoring.

Noah
Varagao
perkins
biedrins
greg oden

are the type of scrappy 5's in the leauge who are there to provide an interior pressence on D, rebound, set screens, and do all the little things.

pau gasol
dwight howard
yao ming(maybe not anymore)
andrew bogut

are all star 5's who are depended on to do a bit of everything, score, defend, set screens, rebound, and just are pretty much all star players who are made first or second options on a team.

ALSO you have to consider the compition back then, bull russle dominated the game for years but consider the height of the majority of the players in his time. he was sky hooking all day because no one could defend that shot back then. I would like to see a young bill russle atempt a sky hook on a young shaq in his prime. he would get swatted to the other side of the world.

MacFitz92
12-23-2010, 06:51 PM
There are a lot of "true centers".

I just think there is more size and athleticism nowadays so nobody can dominate as much as they use to in the paint.

Jets012
12-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Yea i have not seen Lopez's name yet either. He is a true center. I do not think I have ever seen him play Power Forward. The only problem is he can not rebound at all.

heatking
12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
The new era of centers is here. Expect compact athletic beasts like Joel Anthony to be the next type of centers in the league.

A Nut Da 1
12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
howard is a center he will never play pf lol and roy hibbert could be a good center

im sorry Howard is a pf forced to play center

Bruno
12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
im sorry Howard is a pf forced to play center

How so? He doesn't have an effective 15-18 foot jump shot, he dominates the glass and anchors his teams defense.

He many not have the best back to the basket post game we've ever seen, but its developing and its not like he has an outside jumper that keeps him from developing his post game. Dwight gets all his points right under the basket, or at the line, where he shoots horribly. Sounds like a Center to me.

A Nut Da 1
12-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Okay howard was forced to play center because is the type of offense his coach runs ....but howard was project as a power forward and there are a few centers who could face up and hit the open jumper he just started working on that part of his game...if orlando was smart they would have kept gortat who is actually a center and played them together more often when they had both of them on the floor together howard played the 4 spot even though is wasn't that often...they have all these pf playing center now because there are alot of sf playing the 4 spot in order to spread the floor which to me doesn't make sense because when you have a beast like howard on the floor with a true center your make the other team have to match up with your size kinda like the lakers...

how good could orlando have been if they let everyone play their natural position?

when you put someone it a postion and say okay well we know you don't play here but this is where we need you to play ....it makes sense for you to learn how to play that postion but if when he came into the league and orlando would have had a decent c howard would have already developed a jump shot

PrettyBoyJ
12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Yea i have not seen Lopez's name yet either. He is a true center. I do not think I have ever seen him play Power Forward. The only problem is he can not rebound at all.

Idk about Lopez.. he may have the height and some offensive skills but He avg. 6 rpg.. Landry Fields avg more reb then him and he's a guard

xxxplicit69
12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
yup. howard is def. a true center. so is bynum.

Howard is a center, but a true center to me has to be 7'0. Something about 6'11 just doesn't have the presence of a 7footer. That inch seems to be a big one. Plus Howard isn't a long 6'11, he's more stout. Believe it or not, there were PFs his size with his style of play. If the center was a 7footer like Smits or Ewing, one that was more of a shooter, then the PFs that played with them were Brusiers. In the 90s and back, Howard would have played PF.

tr3ymill3r
12-23-2010, 09:24 PM
A majority of it is based on rule changes, back in the day you could clobber guys and get away with it as opposed to now where they call way too many away from the ball fouls or silly hand checking that has to relevance to the play. MJ recently said that if he played today he'd score a 100 the only issue is that with the way he plays defense he would constantly be in foul trouble.

Khalifa21
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM
The funny thing is Dwight wasn't even listed as a center when he came into the league. Check out all the mock drafts.. They all have him as a PF.

http://preps.scout.com/2/269725.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004/news/story?id=1826621
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/specials/draft/2004/06/15/mock.draft.1/index.html
http://gothamist.com/2004/06/17/gothamist_2004_nba_mock_draft_version_1.php

dodie53
12-23-2010, 09:50 PM
howard,
bogut,
perkins,
bynum,
mcgee,
gortat (hehe)

JasonJohnHorn
12-23-2010, 10:06 PM
In terms of size, there are as many guys (or close) who are the same size. I mean, 7 feet is a good size, but not every center in the league has been that big.

Dwight Howard would have been a center matching up with Hakeem and Robinson (though I dont think he would have performed as well). An Gasol would be a great center in any generation, he has a great skill set and he is a seven footer.

Part of the reason is that a lot of the tall bigs, like Garnett, Dirk, they have games more suited to forward and/or dont have the bulk to defend centers. I mean, seriously, Dirk is what? 7 feet? And he plays power forward and small forward? Every coach on the league would have pushed him into the center spot in 1990! But as the 90's went a long, you'd get some European players like Toni Kukoc, who like 6'10 playing small forward. For real? We got guys today who are 6'8 playing center! But that trend continued, and not just with European players, Odom, Turkaglu, these guys are 6'10 and playing a lot of minutes at SF. No way 20 years ago that would have happend, so now, because big guys are developing more well rounded skill sets, GMs, coaches, they are putting tall guys on the wing, either by choice or because they have to match up with guys like Odom (just ask LBJ how well his small back court matched up with Orlando in 09).

Twenty years ago, guys who had a solid back-to-the-basket game and could back their @$$E$ up (Barkley) could get by with limited offensive skills as long as they could grabbed ten boards a game and pass out of the double team (and Barkley had more than the backtothebasket game, that is just an example). But with the three second rule (no longer than three seconds with your back to the basket below the free throw line when you have possesion of the ball), centers and power forwards dont get the same kind of looks as they use to, and guys like Garnett and Amare that can face the basket and hit jump shots are the norm, and centers are more about rebounds and defence and dont have to have much offensive skills as long as their point and wing guys do most of the scoring. And because teams dont have to match up defensively with highly productive scorers at C (there are exceptions of course), they can afford to put a guy in there who is only 6'8-610, since he's just boxing out and making sure there are no opening in defence to let the guy driving with the ball to drop it in for a dunk.

Its sad, but its just the evolution of the game... and we were a little spoiled between 85-95... there were a crazy number of VERY talented Cs retiring and starting: Mourning, Shaq, Kareem, Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Mutumbo, and guys like Perkins, Laimbeer and lots of second tier Cs that were great! It was a bit of an anomaly as we are now seeing. We were spoiled and now we have high standards. The position has just changed a lot because of rules and the influx of multi-facteted bigs who can step away from the paint to be effective on offence.

heatking
12-23-2010, 10:32 PM
The whole concept of being a center is overrated. In basketball you have wings, bigs, and a point guard. Classifying players as C, or PF is for fantasy geeks. Go watch a game and it doesnt matter if hes 6'11 or 7'0 your either a big man or a wing.

THE GIPPER
12-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Howard-Yao-Bogut-Bynum-Marc Gasol-Perkins--Noah-Horford-Brook-Hibbert.

You could argue that these guys are all true centers who play mostly within the paint.

I think you got them all right except i wouldn't consider horford a true center. I think hes naturally a pf

HouRealCoach
12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Howard was a PF when he got to the league...

Yao, Bogut, Bynum, Kaman, Oden are all piled with injuries

Marc Gasol, Lopez, Hibbert, Okur are inconsistent and show many weaknesses

Pau, Duncan, Horford, Jefferson, Bargnani, Lee, Nene Okafor, Amare, Camby are PF's

Shaq, Wallace, Miller are all old

Eddy Curry, Thabeet sucks

Noah, Perkins, Dalembert, Chandler, Biedrins, Robin Lopez are mostly defensive

There are true centers(Not many) but having them like the 90s with Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Mourning, etc.... The league is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR from having Centers like that again

Hawkeye15
12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
the strength of the center position is as weak as I can remember. Hopefully with Bogut, Bynum, Gasol, Lopez, Hibbert, and Noah for example, we have a bunch of young players who will bring the position back.
But yes, we are in the weakest era of C I can think of. Send Dwight back to anywhere between 1980-1998, and he is not the best center in the league

dannyh1469
12-24-2010, 12:27 AM
the way i see it is if you put bynum or another true center pau is listed as a forward so would howard and so would lopez and horford like i have said before the only reason they are put at center is because they are the biggest of their team not because they got the true center ability and perkins is not a center when he is 6'8 and u have a talented 7 foot big man he would either be relagated to the bench or at forward

ryder78c
12-24-2010, 12:53 AM
^^lmao word i know youre not referring to Oscar Robertson 1 of the best pg's of all time as a center...SMH..

can somebody tell me what SMH is i been wondering for awhile!

Gators123
12-24-2010, 12:55 AM
can somebody tell me what SMH is i been wondering for awhile!

Shake my head or shaking my head.

ryder78c
12-24-2010, 12:56 AM
the way i see it is if you put bynum or another true center pau is listed as a forward so would howard and so would lopez and horford like i have said before the only reason they are put at center is because they are the biggest of their team not because they got the true center ability and perkins is not a center when he is 6'8 and u have a talented 7 foot big man he would either be relagated to the bench or at forward

kendrick is 6'10"

and ben wallace is a center and he's 6'9" and wasnt the biggest guy on his teams! but when you can defend centers better then other players and got height and weight your a center!

ryder78c
12-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Shake my head or shaking my head.

thanks man i been wondering that for like a year!

Minimal
12-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Kendrick Perkins - definition of true center

Margie
12-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Saw all the greats Bynum is the only true young center. The rest are power fowards. During the Wilt and Russel era most of todays center will be power fowards. Andrew Bynum is the only one besides Shaq strong enough to play center with Wilt, Jabbar and Nate Thurmond.

Margie
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Also Oscar Robinson was a big and tall point guard. Doing that time was the greatest Point guard in the NBA. Oscar use to get 38 points 12 rebounds and 13 assits per game most games. The Big O was a smooth player. If you can ever get some film of Oscar he would be a joy to watch.

heattiltheend94
12-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Dwight, Bynum, Bogut, Yao, Marc Gasol, Oden, Idk was gonna say al Jefferson but not sure bout him, Tyson Chandler, Perkins is for sure a C. Those are all true centers IMO.

Nice, I forgot about Chandler. He is for sure a center

NBA-GMaster
12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I think YAO was the last best true center in nba..

Lil Rhody
12-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Ahhhh perk also

thekmp211
12-24-2010, 05:48 PM
i think this is overplayed, honestly.

there are lots of true centers in the league, just not a lot of great ones.

the game has changed. being a plodding enforcer in the middle has its place, but against new-age bigs and with new rules athletic big men have carved out a niche.

that being said...

howard, yao (when healthy), chandler, nene, bynum, oden (when healthy), bogut, kaman, marc gasol, tim duncan (he's not a pf), camby, lopez...there are plenty of true centers.

tangent12
12-24-2010, 06:46 PM
LOL @ Howard being a "true center". :laugh2: :laugh2:

He would've gotten pushed around in the 80's, even 90's. Dwight is as soft as they come.

Iodine
12-24-2010, 07:11 PM

He would've gotten pushed around in the 80's, even 90's. Dwight is as soft as they come.

Oh **** you used emoticons, how can we beat that?

I mean, it's not like Kareem, Parish, Prime Walton, Bob McAdoo, or Artis Gilmore were Willis Reed or anything

And gawsh it's not like the game let players be more physical back then is it?

tangent12
12-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Iodine
This message is hidden because Iodine is on your ignore list.

Iodine
12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Iodine

So, in other words you have no argument other than Lol's, hyperbole, and blanket statements that can't be proved but sound good right?

tangent12
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Iodine

Sixerlover
12-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Oh **** you used emoticons, how can we beat that?

I mean, it's not like Kareem, Parish, Prime Walton, Bob McAdoo, or Artis Gilmore were Willis Reed or anything

And gawsh it's not like the game let players be more physical back then is it?

here you go :D

Iodine
12-24-2010, 07:25 PM
here you go :D

:laugh: I was not expecting that

Gilly1254
12-24-2010, 07:31 PM

:facepalm: How is Dwight soft? It's not like it used to be where you can bang downlow and not get a foul... I'm not saying he was as good but defensively he would still be a force with his shot blocking ability. Don't be dumb.

Master Mind
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Dexter Pittman...Mark it down

dannyh1469
12-24-2010, 07:41 PM
howard isnt a true center he is soft and his athleticism is what makes him so great and i have seen howard get pushed around by a true center when he came to southern california he was suffocationg for air because bynum was pushing him around

thekmp211
12-24-2010, 07:49 PM

you know, the constant cynicism is not cool its just annoying. if dwight isnt a center then there are no centers in this league.

Gilly1254
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM
howard isnt a true center he is soft and his athleticism is what makes him so great and i have seen howard get pushed around by a true center when he came to southern california he was suffocationg for air because bynum was pushing him around

Please look at the head to head matchups... dwight just murders him so try again...

albertc86
12-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Bynum and Yao are the only true centers I can think of. Unfortunately, they're both injury proned and I think that's the problem with the position. The game has changed to where true centers can't keep up with the pace. I don't consider Howard a true center because of his freakish, athletic ability and his lack of post-moves. His offensive game doesn't look fluid but he has good footwork at times.

Bulls_fan90
12-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Dexter Pittman...Mark it down

Mark what down? Pittman will be lucky to play an NBA game.

tredigs
12-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Bynum and Yao are the only true centers I can think of. Unfortunately, they're both injury proned and I think that's the problem with the position. The game has changed to where true centers can't keep up with the pace. I don't consider Howard a true center because of his freakish, athletic ability and his lack of post-moves. His offensive game doesn't look fluid but he has good footwork at times.

Hahah... what exactly is your criteria for a "true center"?

So many ridiculous posts on this thread. D. Howard's in the upper echelon of centers to come through this league. He is a dominant paint presence and his post-d single handedly changes other teams offenses to become more perimeter orientated. If that's not the truth of what a center is supposed to be, then I've been mistaken all along.

albertc86
12-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Hahah... what exactly is your criteria for a "true center"?

So many ridiculous posts on this thread. D. Howard's in the upper echelon of centers to come through this league. He is a dominant paint presence and his post-d single handedly changes other teams offenses to become more perimeter orientated. If that's not the truth of what a center is supposed to be, then I've been mistaken all along.

He's a dominant force in the paint because of his jumping ability and his strength, of course. But mostly because of his jumping ability. When I think of an athletic center, I think of someone like Hakeem, who was not only fluid but had real post moves. Shaq despite his size also had great footwork but Howard is a different kind of beast. I just don't consider him a true center and you can't label him a center simply because he's so dominant in the paint. We'll see if he's a true center once he starts reaching his thirties and begins to slow down.

Tony_Starks
12-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Thank goodness for Dwight Howard! Holding it down....

blacknell
12-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Howard is not a true center back in the day he would be a PF. He is a Shawn Kemp type of player just not as good. A real center was Hakeen the Dream, Shaq, David Robinson, Kareem,Parsih. Howard would get his lunch ate by the true centers of the past and by all the supersstar PF's that were in the 90's. Kemp, Barkley, Rodman and so on would have a soap dropped in the prison shower day with Howard

netsgiantsyanks
12-24-2010, 11:53 PM

:laugh2: then whos a "true center" in this league? joakim noah??

thekmp211
12-24-2010, 11:56 PM
okay folks lets clear up TRUE center versus GOOD center. there is some confusion.

lets say that a TRUE CENTER roughly meets the following criteria:

basically tallest starter
provides interior defense, scoring and rebounding
may have outside game but stays in the paint/back to basket

just because you think Dwight and Co. would get waxed by the "true" centers from the past, or whatever, doesn't mean he isn't a "true" center either. it just means you think they were better than him, and when referring to hakeem, robinson, young shaq...you're probably right. still doesn't mean he isn't a "true" center.

hell, kwame brown is a "true" center. he just sucks balls.

blacknell
12-25-2010, 12:07 AM
okay folks lets clear up TRUE center versus GOOD center. there is some confusion.

just because you think Dwight and Co. would get waxed by the "true" centers from the past, or whatever, doesn't mean he isn't a "true" center either. it just means you think they were better than him, and when referring to hakeem, robinson, young shaq...you're probably right. still doesn't mean he isn't a "true" center.

a true center is above 7'0 tall put it that way.. Not 6'11 but over 7'0

Sixerlover
12-25-2010, 12:08 AM
I think some people are knocking Dwight for not being as physically dominant in the post as the bigs of the 90's and 80's without thinking about the rule changes, and the difference in the style of play. By the time Dwight was in HS the league became a lot more strict on the aggressive play of years prior, so of course kids growing up with tangible NBA ambitions didn't play like that.

If Dwight grew up playing like Rodman, Oak, Barkley etc played obviously he'd be just as imposing or aggressive as they were. And probably be the better player because of his immense athletic advantage to players like those.

Sixerlover
12-25-2010, 12:11 AM

So Robert Parish being 7'0 240, Rik Smits being 7'4 250, Hakeem Olajuwon being 7'0 255, Patrick Ewing being 7'0 240 and Dwight Howard being 6'11 265 makes Dwight a PF and those players centers?

And Alonzo Mourning was 6'10 240 was he a Center?

thekmp211
12-25-2010, 12:14 AM

you're really nitpicking over ONE INCH?

what would you call bill russell? bill walton? willis reed? moses malone?

imposter centers, i guess. :rolleyes:

tredigs
12-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Ding Ding. Knowledge on PSD, what a novel concept.

TheWaterboy
12-25-2010, 12:38 AM
It only seems that way because of Oden's injuries... If he was healthy, he could have been one of those Centers

Iodine
12-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Ding Ding. Knowledge on PSD, what a novel concept.

Shhhhh

G-Menfan4lyfe
12-25-2010, 02:08 AM
So Robert Parish being 7'0 240, Rik Smits being 7'4 250, Hakeem Olajuwon being 7'0 255, Patrick Ewing being 7'0 240 and Dwight Howard being 6'11 265 makes Dwight a PF and those players centers?

And Alonzo Mourning was 6'10 240 was he a Center?

Hakeem Olajuwon by his own admissions was closer to 6'10". Look at old photos of him next to Ewing you can tell he is shorter. But he was a true center wasn't he? Or does the fact that he really isn't a 7 footer take that away from him? Back in the day alot of teams listed guys being taller than they really were. It still happens in the NBA today at times. It always happens in high school basketball.

Oh, and btw, Zo was 6'10" 260 lbs. Beast.

tredigs
12-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Shhhhh

Our little secret? Okay, okay.

dannyh1469
12-25-2010, 02:21 AM
i cnt see howard as a center because if he was playing with bynum or and of the above listed true centers he would go down as a pf

Gilly1254
12-25-2010, 03:18 AM
i cnt see howard as a center because if he was playing with bynum or and of the above listed true centers he would go down as a pf

No if they played together bynum would be on the bench.

dannyh1469
12-25-2010, 03:34 AM
how could bynum be on the bench the thing people dont understand about bynum that if he played for any team that could give him more touches he could be an allstar like say if he played for a team like bobcats or a team that has little bit of talent he could go 23+ ppg and 10+ rpg with 2.5+ blocks

ragee
12-25-2010, 03:56 AM
I think it is because they grow so tall that in high school, they don't have any competition and they spend most of their time just dunking over people... They don't spend time to develop the fundamental skills needed to become a true center...

raidersrock99
12-25-2010, 04:06 AM
/thread for wrong names and op has lack of knowledege

raidersrock99
12-25-2010, 04:08 AM

what are you trying to prove?

RangersMets
12-25-2010, 04:12 AM
I read through this entire thread and the one conclusion that I kept coming back to is that Dwight Howard really should be playing Shooting Guard and Shaq has big feet.

JasonJohnHorn
12-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Of course he would be a power forward if he was on the same team another another big center! Just like Shaq played power forward his first season at LSU because Stanely Roberts was already playing center and was even bigger! Just like Duncan got moved to power forward when he played with Robinson.

You put Hakeem on a team with Shaq, and he'd be playing power forward to!

AIRMAR72
12-25-2010, 01:59 PM
i know for fact back in the days they were more legit centers in da league with skillz every team had atleast 2-3 legit 7footers on there team 6/11 and 6/9ners were common heights than today these 6/9 guys today plays center back than they were PF da league had more taller players yess they were much taller meaner uglier funny looking players in da league vs now but these new center like bynum and other are pretty good