PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown stepping down

justinnum1
12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Alex Kennedy
Larry Brown has stepped down as head coach of the Bobcats, according to release.

Not surprised.

SteBO
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Big surprise

charlsdq7
12-22-2010, 04:56 PM
damn wish he had done this last season...deff 76ers would have welcomed him

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/release_brown_101222.html

Tony_Starks
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow. He's been talking that woe is me, this is all my fault talk this season but I just thought that was typical Larry Brown. Guess he just gave up....

Gators123
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Come back to the Pistons!

S-Dot
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of teams tanking the season to get a high draft pick, but this team needs to do something. They keep doing just good enough to where they get a 13th or 14th draft pick that won't have a huge impact on their team. I'm not sure what direction they're going in; hopefully MJ can work things out.

210Don
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
not surprising he always jumps ship...
he would be great for the heat if they were serious about winning a championship

reffahead
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Man what is the asking price for g. wallace. Surely they need to garner assets for him before it's too late.

ttam68
12-22-2010, 05:03 PM
He never stays long. Its usually an initial jump then a pretty steadily fall followed by his exit. All in like 3 years

Weezy
12-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Wow it looks like Bobcats will start rebuilding.

KingPosey
12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
what LB quitting midseason on a team? Shocker....

D1JM
12-22-2010, 05:08 PM
That bobcats pick we have is starting to look better and better

sep11ie
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Same story every year for Brown. He takes over a team with "potential" screws them up, then bounces.

redsox0717
12-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I have no respect for coaches like Brown who quit on their team mid-season, even if he is one of the most successful coaches in history in terms of W's.

Badluck33
12-22-2010, 05:13 PM
i'm not surprised at all. i dont even know why he took that job in the first place. he coulda waited for better opportunities.

ManRam
12-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't think he really screwed them up, the team just made no moves. They were a great defensive team before he came, and that's his specialty. They just never addressed the offense. Larry isn't the problem, it's the personnel.

They're kind of like the Hawks, just a bit worse. The roster they have now is good, but they seem too content with what they have....which makes no sense.

And let's not call him a quitter. I think this was as much of the FO's decision as it was Larry's. It seemed very mutual.

Weezy
12-22-2010, 05:14 PM

There is no protection on that pick?

redsox0717
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
MJ should coach

ttam68
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
i'm not surprised at all. i dont even know why he took that job in the first place. he coulda waited for better opportunities.

Lets not forget how awful he looked in NY

Carey
12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Probably felt the team was no longer responding to him, they play hard i just think they need a little more talent on offense, also losing Chandler and Felton and not adequately replacing them hurts as well.

SteveNash
12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Same story every year for Brown. He takes over a team with "potential" screws them up, then bounces.

He bounces whether he's having success or not. Certainly isn't one to leave a bad situation.

It really probably shouldn't have been a big surprise that they've fallen since Jordan has taken over. He's made some of the worst moves possible and doesn't have enough money to support a good team.

SteBO
12-22-2010, 05:22 PM
If Spo gets fired. Brown might be comin

ttam68
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Larrys not known to handle egos well. That'd actually be hilarious to see it turned out

PV2nice
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I see Portland firing Nate McMillan and Larry joining them.

kozelkid
12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
There is no protection on that pick?

There is. However, with Charlotte's bleak future there is a pretty good chance it may become a pretty damn good pick within 4 years or so. Similar to the case where Detroit got the #2 overall pick from Memphis (well they were Vancouver then) in the 03 draft from the 96 season.

Disagree. Brown is a huge reason for making that franchise have as bleak of a future as they appear to be having. He was behind awful trades like Radmonovic's awful contract or J-rich for Diaw and Bell.

GreatMustachio1
12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't think he really screwed them up, the team just made no moves. They were a great defensive team before he came, and that's his specialty. They just never addressed the offense. Larry isn't the problem, it's the personnel.

They're kind of like the Hawks, just a bit worse. The roster they have now is good, but they seem too content with what they have....which makes no sense.

And let's not call him a quitter. I think this was as much of the FO's decision as it was Larry's. It seemed very mutual.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You obviously dont follow the Bobcats so I don't know why you are spewing out this non sense. It became more and mor eclear that Larry Brown was the problem. The Bobcats have a pretty decent roster, capable of having a winning record. Larry does not utilize his players in the right way and he constantly puts all of his players down. I have seen very little out of him to really honestlytry to make this team better.

And what are you talking about with them seeming content with their roster and not wanting to make moves? That makes no sense, seeing as how they are currently shopping all of their players including Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson.

Please be a little informed before you say stuff.

KNIXX46
12-22-2010, 05:41 PM
LB is lame...he did the same trash in nyc...sorry bastard.

GreatMustachio1
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
i don't understand why you guys want larry to coach your team. Trust me, you dont want that.

As for the Bobcats this move had to be made. I have been expecting this for a couple weeks. It is time to start rebuilding

GreatMustachio1
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
LB is lame...he did the same trash in nyc...sorry bastard.

agree.

Knicks21
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I cant see Larry coaching again. He was hesitant about coaching at the start of the year, and after a 9-19 start, i would be very surprised at 70 we will see him coaching any team again.

ManRam
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about. You obviously dont follow the Bobcats so I don't know why you are spewing out this non sense. It became more and mor eclear that Larry Brown was the problem. The Bobcats have a pretty decent roster, capable of having a winning record. Larry does not utilize his players in the right way and he constantly puts all of his players down. I have seen very little out of him to really honestlytry to make this team better.

And what are you talking about with them seeming content with their roster and not wanting to make moves? That makes no sense, seeing as how they are currently shopping all of their players including Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson.

Please be a little informed before you say stuff.

First off, I'm seen the Cats play a few times this year...

Yes, the roster should be winning more than it is, but no, it isn't as good of a team as it was last year. Between that, and a the fact that a bunch of teams in the East are better than last year, a worse record should have been expected. Should they be 9-19? No. But he was the coach last year and this year, so putting all the blame on him is crazy. It can't just be that all of a sudden he made this team into a losing team? There's gotta be more to just him. The team just isn't as good. There is no front court offensive presence at all...hell, there is hardly an offense PERIOD. Losing Felton has hurt, that's undeniable and Wallace has regressed a lot.

"Content" isn't the right word. They have expressed interest in making moves, but much like Atlanta, again, I see this as a team that is just going to tread water for a long time, and I think they'll grow into a feeling of content with that.

He deserves a lot of blame, I'm not trying to defend him absolutely, but using him as a scapegoat is not fair. The team lacks the talent needed to be a top 6-7 team in the East. A lot of the players aren't playing half as well as they did last year. They've seemingly lost some defensive intensity. A change should help, but I can't see this team really getting much better...

TopsyTurvy
12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Tyrus Thomas strikes again!

king4day
12-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Apparently it was a mutual decision. I don't think he simply quit. But if I'm a 'Cats fan, I'd be happy. They need change. Maybe Silas (if that's who they really do hire) can help get the players meeing expectations again. Losing Felton really did hurt them.

D1JM
12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
There is. However, with Charlotte's bleak future there is a pretty good chance it may become a pretty damn good pick within 4 years or so. Similar to the case where Detroit got the #2 overall pick from Memphis (well they were Vancouver then) in the 03 draft from the 96 season.

Disagree. Brown is a huge reason for making that franchise have as bleak of a future as they appear to be having. He was behind awful trades like Radmonovic's awful contract or J-rich for Diaw and Bell.

as long as MJ is there, they will misread talent

king4day
12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Bobcats should have tried doing a deal that the Suns got with Orlando. Maybe trade off Jackson and Diaw instead of Richardson and Hedo. That way Orlando still has a big man distributor in Diaw and a scorer in Jack.

If the Cats got Carter and Gortat, they still have good D, they have Carter who will draw, and they have a young good big to play alongside Thomas. I wonder if anyone even thought to do this from either side.

black1605
12-22-2010, 06:02 PM
As Charlotte's discussions stand now with Paul Silas, he would take over as coach for the balance of the regular season, sources tell Y!

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/17699514504716288#

nykobe24
12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
hmmmm wondering who gonna be the next coach

nykobe24
12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/17699514504716288#

well that answers my question

arkanian215
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for Lopez, Larry.

Happy Holidays,
Nets fans

Mplsman
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
It was only a matter of time for LB.

GreatMustachio1
12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Bobcats should have tried doing a deal that the Suns got with Orlando. Maybe trade off Jackson and Diaw instead of Richardson and Hedo. That way Orlando still has a big man distributor in Diaw and a scorer in Jack.

If the Cats got Carter and Gortat, they still have good D, they have Carter who will draw, and they have a young good big to play alongside Thomas. I wonder if anyone even thought to do this from either side.

we dont want old guys even though I think that would work. But we are going to try to start rebuilding. We want to trade for picks and young players

bigsams50
12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
This move had to be done. He wasn't the coach of the future, and we are worse this year than last year. Time to trade Diaw and Jackson, and start over. We have to draft well though, we havn't so far, and thats why we're aren't a legit playoff team. We could've had Roy, but we chose Morrison. We coulda had Lopez, but we chose Augustin. Brandon Wright over Joakim. SMH, we can't expect to have a respectable organization if we can't establish ourselves in the draft.

Corey
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for Lopez, Larry.

Happy Holidays,
Nets fans

How is that necessary?

The Nets don't even have a better record than the Bobcats..

Da Knicks
12-22-2010, 06:57 PM
How is that necessary?

Speak the truth:)

black1605
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
How is that necessary?

Seriously.

Dear Prokhorov,

Thanks for striking out during free agency in hilarious fashion.

Love,

The Rest of the NBA

PV2nice
12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
How is that necessary?

I believe he's referring to the Bobcats picking DJ Augustine ahead of Brook Lopez in the 2008 Draft. #9 DJ #10 Lopez... That being said I'm sure that was 90% MJ's pick not Larry Brown's.

BkOriginalOne
12-22-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/12/22/bobcats-brown.ap/index.html#?ls=iref:nbahpt1

If you watched him during some of the games, he couldn't believed what he was seeing and getting from his players.
I think this is actually good for both parties.

JLynn943
12-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Can't blame him

BkOriginalOne
12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I think Sacramento should give him a call.
They have the right tools to be a great Larry Brown Defensive team.

JLynn943
12-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I think Sacramento should give him a call.
They have the right tools to be a great Larry Brown Defensive team.

Having a real coach? That would be a dream come true...

Still, I don't know if he'd want to come to Sacramento. There's a lot of work to be done before we go anywhere

king4day
12-22-2010, 08:25 PM
we dont want old guys even though I think that would work. But we are going to try to start rebuilding. We want to trade for picks and young players

I'm saying for the short term and long though. For the Suns, the big thing about that deal we got is, it helps with the expiring, and it fixes a big man need. Charlotte is in the same spot. But with Gortat they have a younger Center. Carter will expire (or they trade his contract for someone else later this year. That allows them to continue rebuilding. They'd have a good choice there.

bigsams50
12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
I believe he's referring to the Bobcats picking DJ Augustine ahead of Brook Lopez in the 2008 Draft. #9 DJ #10 Lopez... That being said I'm sure that was 90% MJ's pick not Larry Brown's.

Actually Brown was really pushing for DJ, not MJ

kozelkid
12-22-2010, 11:44 PM
i don't understand why you guys want larry to coach your team. Trust me, you dont want that.

As for the Bobcats this move had to be made. I have been expecting this for a couple weeks. It is time to start rebuilding

Agreed.
He's a stubborn, old fart that refuses to upgrade his philosophy as times changed. He's stuck in 70s mode. He was a good coach then, but his refusal to increase tempo and his ridiculous discouragement of 3pt shooting is what made him a rather overrated coach for awhile now.

masalex1205
12-23-2010, 12:19 AM

except its protected; have fun w/ that thing in 2064

masalex1205
12-23-2010, 12:23 AM

I'm 100% your wrong; MJ wanted Lopez.

homestarunner93
12-23-2010, 12:46 AM

Don't jizz your pants just yet:

Chicago Bulls: Receives 2012 first-round pick (lottery-protected in 2012, top-12 protected in 2013, top-10 in 2014, top-8 in 2015, unprotected in 2016) from the Charlotte Bobcats via the Tyrus Thomas trade on 2/18/10.

bholly
12-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to a front office role pretty quickly. He was in Philly for a year before the Cats hired him, and his family live here, so maybe he'll be back. New Jersey wouldn't surprise me either, as I think him and Billy King are close (it was King that he worked with here).

reffahead
12-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Man they have to rebuild after reaching a whopping single playoff appearance at the 7th seed, lol. Poor little kitties, purrrr.

masalex1205
12-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to a front office role pretty quickly. He was in Philly for a year before the Cats hired him, and his family live here, so maybe he'll be back. New Jersey wouldn't surprise me either, as I think him and Billy King are close (it was King that he worked with here).

blahh I hope LB doesn't come to Charlotte's FO

JayW_1023
12-23-2010, 05:22 AM
I would too with just an inept franchise.