PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson doesn't like Christmas Day Games

shep33
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5945183

Gotta agree... I understand the NBA wants to make money, but it must suck for the players. I think Phil said that there use to be only 2 games on Christmas and now there are what 6 that day?

ManRam
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't like it probably if I were a player, coach, or most certainly an usher at the arena, a concession stand worker, a trainer etc. I love it as a fan, but I think Christmas is probably the one day that there should be no basketball.

tangent12
12-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Well I like it for me, screw the players. They need to entertain me!! :D

jimbobjarree
12-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't like it probably if I were a player, coach, or most certainly an usher at the arena, a concession stand worker, a trainer etc. I love it as a fan, but I think Christmas is probably the one day that there should be no basketball.

Yeah I wouldnt like being paid millions of dollars to bounce a ball either

I'm sure Phil wont be crying when he returns home to his mansion

JordansBulls
12-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Why??? Most people have family over so they may want to watch something and basketball is a good thing to watch.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
^with the time difference over here in england, I will return home from the family stuff and tune into the Lakers-Heat game around 10pm. Perfect.

I agree with you though, if it was at 5pm my time, I more than likely wouldn't be watching.

ManRam
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah I wouldnt like being paid millions of dollars to bounce a ball either

I'm sure Phil wont be crying when he returns home to his mansion

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't feel bad for them...but these people have families too...and Christmas, for a lot of families, is the biggest holiday of the year. It's not like these people are robots...and it's not like money cures everything.

I made it clear that I feel worse for the non-coaches and non-players who have to take part in this. For all I know, the janitors and concession stand workers don't mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them would rather have the day off.

I don't know what the majority of the people involved in it think, but I'd like to think that they had some say in this. Maybe they do, but if they don't, then I could understand the gripe. The NBA does it because they see dollar signs...and that's it.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
surely its like any job, they ask people if they want to work that day. I dont know about America, but here they usually 'reward' the better workers with hours on christmas day, when the pay is usually triple. If thats not the case though, it sucks for those guys you mentioned.

for the players...no sympathy whatsoever. I'd trade 10 christmas days for a decade playing basketball for millions, in front of millions. Surely the players are allowed to join their familys afterwards/before anyway, right?

do you think its a big enough problem to be brought up in the bargaining agreement talks?

mjt20mik
12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
No one likes to work on Christmas, that's a given. However, if your being paid as much as they are to play a game, they surely shouldn't complain about anything.

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Boo ****ing hoo. Cry me a river, gazillionaire.

Da Knicks
12-22-2010, 12:41 PM
they dont mind the big salaries, i dont care if they play on christmas.

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Exactly. How about this - I'll work on Xmas (oh yeah, I am anyhow, actually...) and take Phil's paycheck for that day, and he can stay home and stuff his face with turkey.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-22-2010, 12:59 PM
^with the time difference over here in england, I will return home from the family stuff and tune into the Lakers-Heat game around 10pm. Perfect.

I agree with you though, if it was at 5pm my time, I more than likely wouldn't be watching.

same here

It should be at midnight exactly, perfect time

slickg
12-22-2010, 01:01 PM

I agree with this 100%. They are in the Entertainment business so they need to make sacrifices to keep us entertained and earn their paychecks. Let's put it this way we need to work until we are in our 60's to retire...these guys can retire in their 30's with millions of dollars and they can have plenty of time to spend with their families every Christmas for the rest of their lives.

If Phil doesn't like it Phil should have stayed retired instead of coming back.

sep11ie
12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Guess what, I'm doing Christmas by myself this year due to work. I'm not complaining. My family and I can celebrate it when everyone gets down here in Jan. Does it really matter if you do your Christmas on 25th as long as you do one?

Avenged
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Plenty of people all over will work on Christmas and not even earn 1% that they will on 1 game alone.. Heck, more teams should play, nothing better than watching a basketball game with your family. :nod:

Giraffes Rule
12-22-2010, 01:51 PM
The thing I hate the most about Christmas day games is when they send the defending champs on a road game on Christmas. I would think they should have earned the right to either not play or at the very least play at home after winning it all.

Missing56&33
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't know why Phil Jackson even made that comment. A lot of people have to work on Christmas day, leave their children while they play with their toys. So should the convenience stores close, should the businesses close down because they want to spend time with their children? If anything I thing the NBA should play every christmas to give those people that have to work 40+hrs a week something to cheer about.

Those huge contracts NBA players and coaches make should give them the incentive to go out and focus on the game and on winning the game, since Phil Jackson seem to think the players can't give it their best because its Christmas.

magichatnumber9
12-22-2010, 02:48 PM
If I could ball on an indoor court.... **** I would do it every day of my life.

RZZZA
12-22-2010, 02:48 PM
*shrug*

I always check "Willing to work weekends and Holidays" On my application forms for jobs. And I definitely don't get paid millions.

J4KOP99
12-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I understand your arguments against Phil but the guy does have a point...

NBA players and coaches work extremely hard for their paycheck... is it an incredible amount of money? Absolutely, but the only reason they are paid that is because of us the fans. If we didn't care so much about their sport, they wouldn't make the money they do. With that said, just because we love their sport does not mean they should have to play on holidays every single year. The reason they do these games is because 85% of people are home and can tune into watch, which means more money for the NBA.

Think about how much time players and coaches put into their job. Much more than any of us when you take into account traveling and other things. Do they really need to work on the holidays as well? I'm sorry for those of you who work at the gas stations, drug stores and grocery stores that must be opened on most holidays, but just because they make a lot of money does not mean that they should have to come out and entertain us one very holiday. You may have to work on Christmas day, but that sucks for you. However, they're are plenty of jobs(the majority of jobs) that do not work on christmas day.

What about the vendors, security guards and all the other people it takes to make an nba game come together?

I think Phil's point is more to the fact that, on a day like Christmas, most players minds are elsewhere... So why schedule these big-time match ups when the teams clearly won't be 100% ready?

WHODAT8o8
12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
wait, but isn't that what you signed up for????:p