PDA

View Full Version : Iggy is Plan B for Knicks if Melo isn't acquired

MagicBucsSox
12-22-2010, 03:50 AM
While the New York Knicks remain confident in their chances of acquiring Carmelo Anthony this season, they are preparing backup plans in case he winds up in New Jersey or elsewhere.

After Anthony declared how important signing the three-year, $64.47 million contract extension is to him during last week's visit to Madison Square Garden, the Knicks realized they may have trouble signing him as a free agent next summer.

More and more, the thinking at Knicks headquarters is that Anthony will sign the extension with some club -- be it New York, New Jersey or whomever -- rather than become a free agent with a lockout looming.

So if the Knicks can't trade for Anthony by the Feb. 24 trade deadline, they've got two other potential Plan Bs in mind.

In one, they may go after Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, who would seem to fit nicely in Mike D'Antoni's system. Eddy Curry's expiring contract and one other player might be enough to pry Iguodala away from the Sixers, though Philadelphia doesn't want to give away its top player in a mere salary dump.

The Knicks' other scenario would potentially bring Cleveland's proven role players Anderson Varejao and Daniel "Boobie" Gibson to Madison Square Garden. The Knicks are aware of their need for more toughness inside and Varejao would provide that. And Gibson could fill the backup point guard spot the Knicks have been looking to upgrade.

The Knicks are weighing whether those two options are better than what they could get on next summer's free agent market.

Of course, Anthony remains the most coveted prize, and the Knicks still believe they can get him. Denver would rather deal with New Jersey, though, since the Nets have more to offer.

The Nets have several potential trades for Anthony on the table and are merely waiting for Denver to choose one, according to sources. That doesn't mean a deal could be completed immediately; just that the Nets would then begin getting agreements from the various parties involved.

The Nets have trade scenarios based on two-team deals between them and the Nuggets, as well as three- and four-team deals on the table.

The two clubs have stayed in periodic contact over the past few months, but haven't spoken since Saturday, according to one source.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23017/if-no-melo-knicks-have-potential-plan-bs

29$JerZ
12-22-2010, 03:52 AM
I believe it's just Donnie exploring all other options. You can't let the Melo hype derail you from fixing the weaknesses of the team.

With that said any of those deals are not happening this year at least. NY is going to go into the Summer either with an already traded for Melo or signing him outright. Getting Iggy or Andy kills the CAP we have left for for a long time so don't expect any legs on these rumors.

xabial
12-22-2010, 04:01 AM
knicks becoming more active

Hope to god we dont get iggy though. Terrible Contract, Poor stats on a bad Team, and shot selection can get ugly sometimes (Not a True Shooter)

hugepatsfan
12-22-2010, 04:02 AM
I like Andy V for the Knicks. They need more toughness/defense/rebounding inside.

NYK_kidd77
12-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Andy v would be nice along side Amare.

Switch
12-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Iggy would be fit in perfectly in New York. They need a defensive minded player and he would fit in nicely with them.

LeBroom
12-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Honestly, If we can't get Melo. DO BOTH DEALS if possible.

We won't need the cap space anymore.. What we'll need is the MLE and Bi-Annual Exception. Unfortunately, we'd have to go to war with this roster + those guys, and bank on the chance that Gallinari and Chandler develop into Stars. Now, assuming Chandler goes into a deal for Iguodala, a roster consisting of:

Felton/Gibson/Douglas
Iguodala/Douglas
Gallinari/Fields
Stoudemire/Williams
Varejao/Mozgov/Turiaf

Hmm... Not too flashy; but... what else can we do? Just add players yearly, like the Lakers using the MLE.

More-Than-Most
12-22-2010, 05:46 AM
The sixers are not going to give up iggy for an expiring as the main part. They are way to far over the cap and his money coming off would be pointless. Me personally I want him gone no matter what but I highly doubt they trade him to the knicks if that would be the package they would put on the table.

GivenGrace
12-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Neither trade sounds like something Walsh would do. They are both WAY overpaid. Donnie will find something better (I hope).

zambo4president
12-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Iggy and Varejao would both be great fits with the Knicks. That being said, go ahead and just get Melo and leave Iggy for the Bulls.

blahblahyoutoo
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
knicks becoming more active

Hope to god we dont get iggy though. Terrible Contract, Poor stats on a bad Team, and shot selection can get ugly sometimes (Not a True Shooter)

agreed.
if they get iggy, i will take back all the nice things i said about walsh.
unless he pulls an amare and proves everyone wrong. ;)

Sixerlover
12-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Right. Because we'll help NY create another top tier team in the division by giving them our best player for an Expiring contract and some "young players". :laugh2:

John Walls Era
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
If they trade for Iggy this year, they won't be able to get Melo in the summer. I would rather wait it out.

Young and Stupid
12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Honestly -- although the deal that is being mentioned wouldn't get it done -- I think Iggy is actually a better fit for the Knicks than Melo. I think there are some serious questions about Melo's ability to not only play alongside Amare, but also to fit in D'Antoni's offense.

Iguodala showed during the summer that he can be a great second-option on the offensive end and a versatile-player who can bring defense, toughness and athleticism. I really think it would behoove the Knicks to pursue Iguodala in the event that they need to give up significant pieces to acquire Melo. Then after getting Iggy they could use the remaining cap-space to get a quality-big. A team with Felton, Iggy, Gallo, Stat and a quality big, with all the talent the Knicks have coming off the bench, could really compete.

pebloemer
12-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Honestly, If we can't get Melo. DO BOTH DEALS if possible.

We won't need the cap space anymore.. What we'll need is the MLE and Bi-Annual Exception. Unfortunately, we'd have to go to war with this roster + those guys, and bank on the chance that Gallinari and Chandler develop into Stars. Now, assuming Chandler goes into a deal for Iguodala, a roster consisting of:

Felton/Gibson/Douglas
Iguodala/Douglas
Gallinari/Fields
Stoudemire/Williams
Varejao/Mozgov/Turiaf

Hmm... Not too flashy; but... what else can we do? Just add players yearly, like the Lakers using the MLE.

What players did you trade for Iggy, Varejao and Gibson?

Chandler and Curry? I suspect Cleveland would be look for something in return too...

Da Knicks
12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Oooooh knicks need to stay away from Iggy at all cost. Now Varejao is a player that i want, he would be perfect next to Amare. What would Cleveland want for him though, my guess and trade would have to be Ronnie Turiaf to replace Varejao in the starting lineup for the cheap. Roger Mason and Bill Walker to get the cavs a sg and sf they lack would be included and adding Tony Douglas or trading him for a first round pick would get it done imo.

SNYmets86
12-22-2010, 02:05 PM
smoke screen

allday823
12-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Honestly -- although the deal that is being mentioned wouldn't get it done -- I think Iggy is actually a better fit for the Knicks than Melo. I think there are some serious questions about Melo's ability to not only play alongside Amare, but also to fit in D'Antoni's offense.

Iguodala showed during the summer that he can be a great second-option on the offensive end and a versatile-player who can bring defense, toughness and athleticism. I really think it would behoove the Knicks to pursue Iguodala in the event that they need to give up significant pieces to acquire Melo. Then after getting Iggy they could use the remaining cap-space to get a quality-big. A team with Felton, Iggy, Gallo, Stat and a quality big, with all the talent the Knicks have coming off the bench, could really compete.

I think your right...Iggy would fit in perfectly. hes only 26 and he's in a horrible situation in philly. He is not a number 1 option and in New York he wouldnt have to be. I think him and Gallo would compliment each other perfectly. He's proven that he can be a very affective player I love the move. Varejao and a back up would make the knicks really good. Chandler Curry and Douglas gets it done.

Rivera
12-22-2010, 02:08 PM
i hope the knicks wouldnt do this....i hope they dont do this just because they cant get melo...

29$JerZ
12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Iggy is a bad fit in NY, can't shoot.
Not to mention giving a SG 13.5 million that isn't an elite wing is beyond bad.

farsouthside
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I think Iggy would not be a good fit there

cbreezy34
12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Has anyone been watching the Sixers lately? Minus last nights debacle at the Bulls who literally could not miss they have actually look very formidable. Over an 11 game span they lost twice... one against the Lakers were they blew an 8 point lead and the Celtics who they lost to at the buzzer. As much as I absolutely hate Iggy he has gotten back to what makes him valuable. He is getting his teammates involved... shutting down the other opponents number one option... and taking it to the rim and drawing fouls. His playing to his strengths and only his strengths.

I have always thought he would be a good fit with Amare... he can run the court... and make up for the Knicks defensive problems. It's laughable how overrated the Knicks have become by the way..... how many good teams have they beat during this "hot stretch" They don't touch the Celtics... Heat....Bulls

Hustla23
12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
There isn't a single quote in that article that suggests any sort of thing.

Oh... wait there's this:

In one, they may go after Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, who would seem to fit nicely in Mike D'Antoni's system.

Yeah, a lot of things sure may happen. I'm not sure this is one of them.

Sports Illustrator
12-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I much rather have Varejao and Boobie as oppose to Andre Iguodala. Both Boobie and Varejao would fit nicely into this team. Although they aren't complimentary scoring options to Amare Stoudemire, having them on the team would make us a much better team. Everything also depends on who we would have to trade as well.

Young and Stupid
12-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I much rather have Varejao and Boobie as oppose to Andre Iguodala. Both Boobie and Varejao would fit nicely into this team. Although they aren't complimentary scoring options to Amare Stoudemire, having them on the team would make us a much better team. Everything also depends on who we would have to trade as well.

Really, SI? As I stated earlier, I think Iggy is a great-fit on that Knicks team. Yes his contract is significantly oversized, but he gives that team exactly what they need aside from an inside presence. I think the Knicks can find a banger inside who can do what Varejao can do for a much cheaper price.

thekmp211
12-22-2010, 04:32 PM

those two would add great depth to new york. andy would be great alongside amar'e and gibson can rain threes off the bench.

iguodala is a good player and might fit, but between fields chandler and gallo i think they are alright on the wing right now. they should only break that up if it yields a stud like melo.

add one more big guy to that rotation and it could be very good.

joeboow90
12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
this would be a horrible move for the Knicks. Iggy is exactly the type of player the knicks dont need, hes not an elite player at all. It would just be the old mediocre knicks of the past ten years.

IndyRealist
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Am I the only thinking that they don't need Melo if they start Chandler and Fields on the wing? They're amazingly cheap for their production, and NYK could use all that money they were going to tie up in Melo to snag a big to take the pressure off of Amare. Marc Gasol? Nene? They could make a run at Josh Smith or LaMarcus Aldridge.

Khalifa21
12-22-2010, 05:08 PM
I'd rather keep our team free from horribly overpaid contracts (waits for someone to claim 26/9 Amar'e is horribly overpaid).

Save the cap space and use it to try and sign a big name if we don't get Melo.

S-Dot
12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I think we should just stick to Plan A

Corey
12-22-2010, 06:49 PM

I agree, but Varejao's contract is a bit of a handcuff long term. Having him and Amare is basically tying up 27-30 million each season in your 4/5 slots. I guess that isn't TOO bad considering the productivity you'd get.

Gibson's only on the books for one more season before the team option comes into effect, so his salary isn't too bad. Still think 4+ million is too much for a player like him, but D'Antoni could probably make him look REALLY good.

Evolution23
12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I'll take Andy if worst comes to worst but not Iggy. He can't even shoot.

Sixerlover
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Random, but this is kind of getting out of hand. Do people even know that for the last two years Iguodala has been better than 80% of the league in catch and shoot situations. He's not this horrible shooter people make him out to be, his struggles come in off the dribble shooting situations.

el_primo_nano
12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Hell no!! I rather stay put.. The Knicks have Chandler who is better than him. No need for Iguodala..