PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wrong to trade your superstar player if he led your franchise to titles?

JordansBulls
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Would it be wrong to trade your superstar player when he gets older (w/o his consent of course) even if he led your franchise to titles?

For instance, if the Spurs decided to trade Tim Duncan w/o his consent or something of that nature. Would the Spurs be wrong for trying to do something like that?

On a side note, the Rockets traded Hakeem in 2001 to the Raptors.

August 2, 2001: Traded by the Houston Rockets to the Toronto Raptors for a 2002 1st round draft pick (Bostjan Nachbar) and a 2002 2nd round draft pick (Tito Maddox).

NOTE: I am talking about a player once he is older like his 30's. 34-38 years of age or something like that.

tdunk21
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
yes it is.....

if the superstar player led the team to multiple titles, it doesnt make any sense to trade a proven guy for an unknown player

JordansBulls
12-20-2010, 08:46 PM
yes it is.....

if the superstar player led the team to multiple titles, it doesnt make any sense to trade a proven guy for an unknown player

Just remember I am talking about a player once he is older like his 30's. 34-38 years of age or something like that.

tdunk21
12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Just remember I am talking about a player once he is older like his 30's. 34-38 years of age or something like that.

spurs wouldnt trade duncan, lakers will not trade kobe coz both these guys helped their franchises to multiple titles......will u accept that?

JordansBulls
12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
spurs wouldnt trade duncan, lakers will not trade kobe coz both these guys helped their franchises to multiple titles......will u accept that?

That's my point. Like had the Pistons decided to trade Isiah Thomas back in the day or the Celtics Bird when he was having back problems, etc.

Hustla23
12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
No. It's a business.

Sure, the player brought you titles and what not. In return, he's gotten the fame, money, and rings for himself.

People are so sentimental nowadays.

JWO35
12-20-2010, 09:02 PM
If like Tim Duncan was up and traded to the bottomless pit of no return, it would be somewhat wrong...Like 4yrs from now if the OKC GM drunk-calls the Lakers and offer Durant 4 Kobe, what's going to happen? IMO it depends on what your getting in return, you may get teams that will give young talent up for a washed-up somebody just to get a few more seats filled

braveniler58
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
It depends on what the player wants. If he's brought so much to the franchise, and he wants to retire with that franchise, then respect that and don't trade him. If he doesn't mind being traded or wants one, then trade him.

cooters22
12-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Joe Montana, Brett Favre got traded, yes I know thats football, but it certainly does happen for whatever reasons.

JordansBulls
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Joe Montana, Brett Favre got traded, yes I know thats football, but it certainly does happen for whatever reasons.

Damn, Joe Montana got traded?

arkanian215
12-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Would it be wrong to trade your superstar player when he gets older (w/o his consent of course) even if he led your franchise to titles?

For instance, if the Spurs decided to trade Tim Duncan w/o his consent or something of that nature. Would the Spurs be wrong for trying to do something like that?

NOTE: I am talking about a player once he is older like his 30's. 34-38 years of age or something like that.

No it's a business. If it's gonna take the franchise in the right direction, do it.

KnicksorBust
12-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes it would be wrong because you taint a legacy. Also these players are often on the end of huge contracts so it would be better to just let them expire rather than take on terrible long-term deals. Not that I'm thinking of any specific situation when I type that. :laugh:

knicksfan42
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Normally no, but when the opportunity to get Tito Maddox arises, how can you not?

NYKalltheway
12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Shaq?

Hellcrooner
12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
it deppends.

if the superstar has been a good unselfish person that once he started geting old has decided to sign for less than HALF of what he could ahve signed in order to allow you to bring new pieces to contend then NO you dont trade him you have to be loyal to him.

on the other side if the dude knowing that he is 30+ and on decline has insisted in signgin for max or close to the max handcuffing your cap, then yeah if you see a good chance send him to count his dollars somwhere else.

PC
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Yes it would be wrong because you taint a legacy. Also these players are often on the end of huge contracts so it would be better to just let them expire rather than take on terrible long-term deals. Not that I'm thinking of any specific situation when I type that. :laugh:

The beginning of a disastrous decade:sigh:

SeekTheTruth
12-20-2010, 10:48 PM
****in wayne gretzky got traded, anyone can and should be traded if you get substantial value back, Its a business plain and simple. I mean in some cases its legitimate such as a team thats now depleted that won rings before will trade veteran guys for prsopects, when they know they are in a clear rebuilding phase.

Avenged
12-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Depends if your franchise is loyal and the circumstances..

For example: lets say a player in his prime is putting up MJ like numbers and was interested to play for the Lakers, and they're asking for Kobe [in his late 30's], I find it hard to believe that the Lakers wouldn't do that trade.

dangrant75
12-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Ray Bourque anyone....

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2010, 11:48 PM
If he was a respectable guy who always put the organization first over individuality then it would be wrong.(example: Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, etc)

If it was some guy who looked out for himself, then I don't mind if they trade him.(example: Shaq, etc)

dtmagnet
12-21-2010, 12:00 AM
It would be disrespectful to the player, this is more than a business you form relationships between organization and player.

kobe24>lebron23
12-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Yes but in a sense no... If kobe would be traded away I would be torn cuz he brought so much to the lakers more then any other laker maby besides magic(even though I think Kobe is the G.L.O.A.T)... But I would also understand if the lakers got greater talent for him if he was traded

Joshtd1
12-21-2010, 01:18 AM

Can't think back that far..who are you referring to? Or is it more then 1 player.

Joshtd1
12-21-2010, 01:19 AM
I would hate for the Spurs to trade TD, specially if it wasnt for anything worth it. I highly doubt at 34, when the player is declining and probably close to the end of his career, the franchise will get a whole lot back. It would be kind of a slap in the face as well IMO.

Giraffes Rule
12-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Yes, if you trade a player like Tim Duncan without his consent it would be wrong.

But, is it possible to trade a player, then have that player immediately retire? Is there a rule against that? I could see a player who is about to retire rather than play out his contract be traded to another team that desires cap space.

MGB
12-21-2010, 01:49 AM
well, in the case of the Olajuwon trade, the Rockets did get the draft pick that ended up being the greatest player in the history of players (Nachbar).

Robbw241
12-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Who would have thought that Keem would ever be the second best player in a trade?

NYKalltheway
12-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Can't think back that far..who are you referring to? Or is it more then 1 player.

Patrick Ewing :/

Bos_Sports4Life
12-21-2010, 02:02 AM
In RARE situations, sure, its prob not right. But im talking a player not only winning titles for the city, but also several yrs there and showing loyalty. This is only a select few though Russell,Magic,Bird,MJ,Duncan ect

Persnoally, id be pretty upset if one of my teams trade a guy like that. It would be like the Patriots trading away Tom Brady or teddy bruschii a few yrs back. I wouldnt be happy

Bornknick73
12-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I feel championship players should have the honor of retiring with the championship franchise they put on the map.

Although we didnt win the title I thought the trading of Ewing was a disgrace to sports. The man wasnt the best quote and could be down right surly but he was a warrior and should have played his last game as a Knick not a Sonic.

BUT.......

If said older players were unrealistic in thier contract desires and wanted a large amount of money which didnt match thier declining output then I would say as a business you are forced to trade them away. As much as I love Jeter if he never came down from his 25mil per contract demand I guess I would have had to understand the position of the Yankees to let him walk. Part of being a older player is knowing when to take a back seat and help the organization rebuild around them in thier older years so when they retire the team is not in shambles talent/financial wise.

JordansBulls
12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
well, in the case of the Olajuwon trade, the Rockets did get the draft pick that ended up being the greatest player in the history of players (Nachbar).

Rockets should have just given Hakeem whatever he wanted. He gave that franchise their only titles.

thesparky33
12-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Damn, Joe Montana got traded?
:speechless:

Ray Bourque anyone....
This would almost be the opposite... Bourque didnt win any Titles with Boston, and they gave him a courtesy trade to win a title with a different team. Completely self-less act by the Bruins IMO.

You know better than that, Josh... :p

Joshtd1
12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
^^I figured it was probably Ewing, I just can't remember who he was traded for.

PhillyFaninLA
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
The only people that need to be loyal to a team are its fans.

The front office needs to look long term and do what is best both today and tomorrow if the front office wouldn't trade a superstar that won you a championship if it makes your team better then they should fired.

thunderforce
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
The amounts of money these guys are making the team should be able to trade them anytime and to anywhere and the players should not say a word either . They are more than compensated fifty times over .

sep11ie
12-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Hakeem was the best Rocket ever, but he was complaining there at the end and wanted a huge contract. He had to go. C'Mon guys, we got BoNach!

zambo4president
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I'd say it's wrong in the sense that your tarnishing the guys legacy. Guys like TD and Kobe have to retire with their respective teams or else it's just not gonna look right.

ManRam
12-21-2010, 05:26 PM
No one player is bigger than the franchise. It is a business, and if the team thinks it will help them win, I don't think it's an injustice.

JordansBulls
12-21-2010, 06:07 PM
^^I figured it was probably Ewing, I just can't remember who he was traded for.

He was traded as well, but Hakeem is the one guy that won titles with his franchise and was traded for a pick or so.

SteveNash
12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Hakeem asked to be traded. It boils down to how the player handles his depreciating skills. He can either accept it and take a smaller role in the team or live in denial were a team should have every right to trade or release him. Let him go suck over in Turkey or some other crappy basketball league if his ego is still too big.

dangrant75
12-21-2010, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=thesparky33;16022952]:speechless:

This would almost be the opposite... Bourque didnt win any Titles with Boston, and they gave him a courtesy trade to win a title with a different team. Completely self-less act by the Bruins IMO.

Thats what i mean, there are ways for both sides to get what they want. In that case it was Bourque got to play for a winner and Bruins got cap space and a 1st rounder.

If a guy wants to play for his hometown and you can work out a reasonable return, perfect. For some guys though, 2-3 titles with reasonable contracts to end their career, should stay until they're done, unless your Brett Favre...

GSRaider
12-21-2010, 11:35 PM
From a players prospective I would say yes, it's wrong...

From an owner and/or gm's prospective, I would say no... You always look to get better.

JordansBulls
12-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Hakeem asked to be traded. It boils down to how the player handles his depreciating skills. He can either accept it and take a smaller role in the team or live in denial were a team should have every right to trade or release him. Let him go suck over in Turkey or some other crappy basketball league if his ego is still too big.

Why would Hakeem had want to be traded though?

AIRMAR72
12-22-2010, 02:27 AM
its wrong on all level trading any superstar but hakeem his A rare breed like jordan never i saw a bigman even til this day played the game the way hakeem da dream did multiple breathtaking moves after moves..he protect da rim rebound steals dish out dimes he his da jordan of centers dude will guard pointguards from top of key and shut them down without fouling very quick footed (soccer background offcourse) hakeem and jordan had the best footwork in the post than any player that i witness to ever played in da NBA hakeem is top 3-5 alltime greatest ever in my book

ClipperfanKevin
12-22-2010, 03:32 AM
If he was a respectable guy who always put the organization first over individuality then it would be wrong.(example: Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, etc)

If it was some guy who looked out for himself, then I don't mind if they trade him.(example: Shaq, etc)

As I recall, Kobe made a big ruckus about wanting to be THE guy (breaking up what could have been an incredible dynasty), then almost left the Lakers for the Clippers in FA, and demanded trades multiple times in the wake of HIS screw up. I've come to terms with the fact that he's an incredible talent, but to call him a stand up guy who puts the team first? HA HA

Blazers#1Fan
12-22-2010, 03:49 AM
depends on the player,situation,cap,attitude,age

tim duncan traded no
kobe no

mrblisterdundee
12-22-2010, 03:56 AM
I said yes, simply because you wrote the name Tim Duncan. Yes; the greatest power forward in NBA history is untrade-able, but he'll know his value come next contract session and take a lower contract. Shaquille O'Neal doesn't even make a $1 million, and he's the greatest power-center of all time. Allen Iverson made a lot less money later in his career. My point is, it's not wrong if you're being forced to pay too much money for a shell of your superstar player.

Ty Fast
12-22-2010, 04:11 AM

didnt the spurs off duncan for oden?

JasonJohnHorn
12-22-2010, 07:58 AM
I opted not to answer because I think it depends.
Looking at teams like Boston, Detroit, Chicago... they didnt trade their superstar player, but in the case of Chi-town they saw them leave for other teams.

The way I would handle it is this: Ask them what they want. If they want to be traded because the team is in rebuilding mode, I would honour that request and try to move them to a contender. If they said they wanted to retire having only worn one jersey, I would honour that request as well.

Essentially, I'd leave it up to the player.

Joshtd1
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Apparently the player was unnamed big man, but was a for sure first ballot hall of famer.

IMO that could have either been Garnett/Duncan/Dirk. I would think Duncan would be the least likely one based on his success with the Spurs already, but I could be wrong.

Rentzias
12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't see why not, especially with the advent of the "sign a contract with your former team and retire" thing that athletes do nowadays. A player shouldn't handcuff a team if his skills are in decline and someone else is willing to take those declining skills on.

pebloemer
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Shaq?

Thats my impulse response too.

Depends on the player and the situation. I would definitely NOT trade Duncan.

But if your future franchise player (Kobe), and your current franchise player who led you to multiple titles (Shaq), can't get along. The situation could be right for a trade.

There is no absolute answer to this question. Depends on situation.

SteveNash
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Why would Hakeem had want to be traded though?

Because Rockets had to rebuild and Hakeem wanted a bigger role and a bigger salary than he deserved.

John Walls Era
12-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Yes football is 100% different. You have to be at your best no matter the position. In NBA, you can get by with shooting (something you don't lose), knowledge (knowing where to position yourself) and name power (Superstars will always get calls).

I'd vote yes. If a guy got 3 titles, trading him would be a slap in the face.

John Walls Era
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
But then again, I saw nothing wrong with the Lakers trading Shaq...

SteBO
12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
^this. One of them had to go

SteBO
12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
^this. KOBE or Shaq had to go

JordansBulls
12-23-2010, 11:07 AM

When was this?

Gators123
12-23-2010, 03:38 PM