PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Compares Chandler's Defensive Impact To Garnett's

JordansBulls
12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5939497)

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki compared Tyson Chandler's defensive impact on the team to how Kevin Garnett instantly transformed the Boston Celtics into a defensive machine, and the stats bear him out.

"I don't think Ray [Allen] or Paul Pierce were great defenders before K.G. got there," Nowitzki said. "But, K.G., with his energy, his defense, his mentality and his high-octane self, he kind of changed the whole momentum on the defense. I think that's what Tyson did here."

In 2006-07, the season before Boston made the landmark deal to acquire Garnett from the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Celtics ranked in the bottom half of the league in two key defensive categories: 18th in scoring defense (99.2), and 24th in opponent field-goal percentage (46.8). Boston finished the season 24-58, last in the Eastern Conference.

Garnett and Allen then joined Pierce to form the Big 3. The 6-foot-11 Garnett challenged Boston's commitment and intensity and catapulted the Celtics up the defensive rankings, finishing No. 2 in scoring defense (90.3) and No. 1 in opponent field-goal percentage (41.9). The Celtics went on to win the NBA title.

The Mavericks started last season on a defensive hot streak, but by mid-December they had tapered off and were a middling defensive club the rest of the way, finishing 15th in scoring defense (99.3) and 15th in opponent field-goal percentage (41.9). That team won 55 games and claimed the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference, but fizzled in a first-round loss to San Antonio.

And although the Mavs have slipped some defensively over the past two weeks, there is no denying that Chandler has delivered a physical and psychological presence to a re-committed Dallas defense.

The Mavs are holding teams to six fewer points than a year ago (93.2) to rank tied for fifth in the league, and they're fourth in opponent field-goal percentage (43.5).

When the Celts came to Dallas on Nov. 8, the Mavs' 89-87 win proved to be a defensive test of wills. Dallas held the Celtics to 41.8 percent shooting and to 18 fourth-quarter points.

Dallas acquired the energetic, 7-1 Chandler in an offseason trade that sent Erick Dampier and his large, expiring contract to the Charlotte Bobcats. Chandler won the starting job over Brendan Haywood during the preseason and is averaging 8.6 points on a team-best 63.2 percent shooting, 9.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.

"It's just his overall willingness to defend," Nowitzki said. "He talks out there. He's always a loud communicator, pushing everybody in the right spots. I think that's what Tyson brings to our team.

LTBaByyy
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah I never seen Chandler play like this, even in his NOH days

I heard were about to trade Haywood for Kevin Martin so hopefully we extend Chandler to a contract if were gonna do that

John Walls Era
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I agree to an extent. Different defenders, but huge impacts.

tdunk21
12-20-2010, 08:40 PM
KG is much better defender than tyson .....why is dirk even comparing KG's defense to tyson.....ray allen and pierce might not be good defenders but boston's defense as a team is what makes them the best...

John Walls Era
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
KG is much better defender than tyson .....why is dirk even comparing KG's defense to tyson.....ray allen and pierce might not be good defenders but boston's defense as a team is what makes them the best...

You didn't get what Dirk meant.

drobe86
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Makes sense to me...

Rivera
12-20-2010, 08:46 PM
i think pierce n ray allen were n still are better defenders than ppl give them credit for in my opinion

i know what hes tryin to say n it makes sense

but i do think KG was/is a better defender than tyson

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-20-2010, 08:57 PM
We have been still slighty better defensive team than Dallas even without bynum.

dodie53
12-20-2010, 09:12 PM
i hope they bring that defensive intensity against miami

HoopsDrive
12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, some of you... he's not comparing Chandler with KG straight up, just the impact they had on the defensive mentality of their team.

SA5195
12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
He was so close of being a Raptor :cry:

210Don
12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
lmao

dtmagnet
12-20-2010, 09:54 PM

I know, he's exactly what we need too.

Da Knicks
12-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I AGREE! Tyson is a hell of a player!

DoJoTheSlasher
12-20-2010, 10:04 PM
lmao

First off, no one listen to this guy. He is the ultimate Mavs hater and he would tell you Bonner is better than Dirk and be serious about it.

Second off, Dirk said his IMPACT meaning his defense rubbing off on other players. KG is in no doubt a better defensive player but it does make sense. We are a top 5 defensive team across the board after being top 20 the past 20 years.

general33
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
dirk is just hoping that his team will mimick the 08 celtics

general33
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
celtics all the way

JJ_JKidd
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Its defensive IMPACT not necessarily individual defense that Dirk was referring to, just so u understand.

210Don
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM
First off, no one listen to this guy. He is the ultimate Mavs hater and he would tell you Bonner is better than Dirk and be serious about it.

Second off, Dirk said his IMPACT meaning his defense rubbing off on other players. KG is in no doubt a better defensive player but it does make sense. We are a top 5 defensive team across the board after being top 20 the past 20 years.

??? what lol i hat ethe mavs but i pay my respect but comparing a journey man to a hof :facepalm:
terry is so clutch wish teh spurs had him

Swashcuff
12-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I see nothing wrong in what he said. That statement certainly has merit and it has been prover thus far this season.

DoJoTheSlasher
12-20-2010, 11:29 PM
??? what lol i hat ethe mavs but i pay my respect but comparing a journey man to a hof :facepalm:
terry is so clutch wish teh spurs had him

What part of IMPACT do you not understand?? IMPACT IMPACT IMPACT

soonabooma
12-21-2010, 01:03 AM
When healthy, Chandler is a heck of a player and he makes a big impact. We knew this back when he played here in OKC with the Hornets. He's never been known as a great scorer, but he can do a lot of things that not many other big men can do. He's the perfect size to do anything you need, he's 7-1, 235 lbs and he's got a very athletic build. He's strong, he can run the floor, and he's an enforcer type of player. He's had some injury problems, but what player doesn't? I'm still pissed that Sam Presti didn't make a strong push get him when it was pretty clearcut that he was not gonna be back in Charlotte. I guarantee he would have come here in a heartbeat. His daughter was born here and he always said he liked living in this city. Dallas knew he was worth getting and they got him. That's one bonehead move that I'm gonna have to hold against Presti because TC would have fit great on this team. He's drafted some pretty special players for us but so far he hasn't had the guts to bring in any top notch players to help make this young team better. There are plenty of good players out there that could help us, guys like Chandler and Haywood, but he's just happy sitting around and drafting I guess. But that kind of philosophy will eventually catch up to him.

NYKnicks4511
12-21-2010, 01:12 AM
For all the people who think Dirk meant that Tyson is as good defensively as KG, you need some reading comprehension work.

I think we can all agree that the Celtics are top 3 in the NBA in terms of team defense, (personally I think they're the best).

Chandler is filling in a Garnett-esque role by talking and being vocal on the defensive side of the ball, which is new because the Mavs weren't ever really talked about as a defensive team, Erick Dampier never talked, Haywood wasn't as vocal, and it looks like Chandler has been a really good pickup for Dallas (and my fantasy team)

Chronz
12-21-2010, 01:32 AM
What makes you think hes not talking about impact?

thedfactor
12-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Yeah I never seen Chandler play like this, even in his NOH days

I heard were about to trade Haywood for Kevin Martin so hopefully we extend Chandler to a contract if were gonna do thatNo one has commented about this yet I noticed.

Anyway, Dallas AND Houston ARE NOT about to do a deal involving Kevin Martin and Brendan Haywood. That is false.

Writers were only speculating that the Rockets have been eyeing Haywood due to losing Yao once again. The Mavericks side has "coveted" Martin for some time now, dating back to at least last season before landing Butler. Two different matters without any connection.

DAL and HOU haven't had any direct discussions about the two players in a swap deal. From what I've heard and read, Houston has no intent to deal their leading scorer.

tredigs
12-21-2010, 03:00 AM
dood compareing Chandler two KG a 4 time HOFer what an idyot?!

John Walls Era
12-21-2010, 03:17 AM
We have been still slighty better defensive team than Dallas even without bynum.

Its always about the Lakers :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I noticed it.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-21-2010, 03:28 AM

I rather have Bayless.

Bayless will pay off in the long run.

Bruno
12-21-2010, 03:37 AM

:laugh::laugh:

Evolution23
12-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Im a huge fan of Chandler, hope he stays healthy

Evolution23
12-21-2010, 03:41 AM

because people only read what they want to read without thinking.

MacFitz92
12-21-2010, 04:01 AM
The haters will take it as Chandler=Garnett, when in realityDirk is trying to say: The impact Chandler has made on the defensive end for the Mavericks is very similiar. The Mavs are winning with defense.

DoJoTheSlasher
12-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Just think, what if Chandler had passed his physical and stayed with OKC.

JordansBulls
12-21-2010, 01:49 PM

When was this?

Sadds The Gr8
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
When was this?

last season when OKC tried to trade for him but it got canceled because of Chandler's injury.

Carey
12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
KG was and still is a more versatile and disciplined defender but Tyson has been great, he's stronger and whats underrated about him is he's always had that physical temperment, he takes pride in defending the paint, sometimes thats just as important as physical tools.

SteBO
12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I hate Dallas, but Dirk's got a legit case.
KG and Tysons impact is very similar, not just the defense though.
The similarity between the two is the emotion and energy they display on the floor at all times. He was a great pickup for them, no doubt.

sep11ie
12-21-2010, 02:30 PM

You win this thread.

Carey
12-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Dont remind me! lol

When was this?

Year before last at the trade deadline, they rescinded the deal because they felt he had chronic toes problems that could threaten his career, they were very cautious and in this case it didnt work out

JordansBulls
12-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Mavs have been rolling this year.

tredigs
12-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Mavs have been rolling this year.

?

When's the last time the Mavs haven't been rolling in the regular season? The 90's?

That said, Chandler is indeed a very good piece for them. They have a better chance this year than most, so as always with them, we'll see...

SteBO
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Dallas got to re-sign him and try to trade Brendan Haywood. I don't think mark wants to invest so much money in 2 centers.

JordansBulls
12-24-2010, 11:09 PM
?

When's the last time the Mavs haven't been rolling in the regular season? The 90's?

That said, Chandler is indeed a very good piece for them. They have a better chance this year than most, so as always with them, we'll see...

But not this good except 2007.

Mavrix
12-25-2010, 02:08 PM

That's cute.

Dallas is 5th in the league in opponent PPG at 93.46 PPG.

LA is 15th in the league at 97.86 PPG.

Dallas is 3rd in the league in opponent FG% at .434%.

LA is 6th in the league at .436%.