PDA

View Full Version : Is Gilbert Arenas Still Capable of Taking Over a Playoff Game/Series?

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
To me this is the whole essence of the trade. If he can get back to his days when him and Lebron were going shot for shot in the playoffs then its all good. Really if he can get close to that its all good.

You think thats a realistic expectation? Do you think he's still got something left in the tank? Having someone who is a big shot taker and maker in the playoffs is a pretty big deal, if he can still do it......

nitric
12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, the Bulls have first hand experience.

Ragun
12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
playing with howard will make life a lot easier for him and will help him get back into form.

i dont think he'll be as good as he used to be but i think he can be a 20 ppg scorer.

twoearl
12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
There is really no way of knowing if he can. But I think we all know how Orlando feels about this question. lol

LTBaByyy
12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Hes more than capable of getting back and even.playing better since he has never had a elite center with him

But will he? Idk

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I have to learn toward yes for the fact that I've seen few players who can literally just take over a game like that. He's shown flashes of it in his limited roll this year. I think he still has it......

Slimsim
12-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Gilbert is happy he went from Wash to a contending team. He can start over he will be motivated and you will see the old Agent 0.

Rivera
12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
i wouldnt call a 28 yr old bball player washed up yet

hes got somethin left...

well i hope :pray:

John Walls Era
12-20-2010, 04:39 PM
playing with howard will make life a lot easier for him and will help him get back into form.

i dont think he'll be as good as he used to be but i think he can be a 20 ppg scorer.

this

Raps18-19 Champ
12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
The thing I have a problem with is that he will still be off the bench and will not get as much minutes as he should be in order to be deadly. He needs about +34 minutes.

The starting lineup will probably be

C-Howard
PF-Bass
SF-Turkoglu
SG-J-Rich
PG-Nelson

But they will probably slide everyone over to utilize their best players.

C-Howard
PF-Turkoglu
SF-J-Rich
SG-Arenas
PG-Nelson

But I think they need should trade Nelson for a PF or at least a tweener so they can still have a player outside of Howard who can play some defense.

EricU812
12-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I loved having Gil in Washington, but as mentioned before, he never had the surrounding talent like he does now. He had talented players in Butler, Jamison, and even Heywood...but Dwight Howard is Dwight Howard.

Gilbert wasn't jacking up shots at first in Washington, until he was asked by the coaching staff (Eddie Jordan) to step up. My guess in Orlando, he'll be asked to feed Dwight, and later on be allowed to shoot freely.

The real question is, can Gilbert stay healthy enough to make it to the playoffs, or to have a major effect on the team. Even as a Wiz fan, I hope he can.

ManRam
12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I've never been a big Gil fan. He has shown in the past he can make some huge shots. If nothing else, it will help Dwight out. Before Gil (and J-Rich and Hedo, who have all been clutch players), there wasn't anyone besides really Jameer who could create their own shot and take some of the pressure off Dwight. Defenses would just swarm Dwight, and make him a complete non-factor. We've struggled late in games because of that. I think Gil and company will help open up the rest of the offense. If nothing else, he'll allow Dwight to get some more touches in the 4th...something he has never been able to get. Defenses won't be able to dictate our offense as much.

I think he'll help out. Will he be an absolute assassin? No, but with him, Jameer and Hedo, at least we have three guys who can create...instead of just one.

As long as he's better than Vince...and I don't think that will be difficult. Vince did hit some big shots, but he had very few games where he took over games.

MickeyMgl
12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Did he EVER take over a playoff series?

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah he's definitely an upgrade over Vince. Like others said I think they'll probably bring him off the bench at first to kinda break him in. By playoff time though I can see Stan just surrounding Dwight with their best players and spacing the floor.

Where you really will see the difference is when they face Boston. I've watched all their playoff games and Nelson and Rashard wanted no part of Boston. Those dudes were scared. Dwight actually grew up a lot and really manned up that series but the rest of those guys were shook.

Having somone with the stones like Arenas will be major help for Dwight. Not to mention Turk and J Rich who have played nice in the playoffs as well.....

serrano275
12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
The thing I have a problem with is that he will still be off the bench and will not get as much minutes as he should be in order to be deadly. He needs about +34 minutes.

The starting lineup will probably be

C-Howard
PF-Bass
SF-Turkoglu
SG-J-Rich
PG-Nelson

But they will probably slide everyone over to utilize their best players.

C-Howard
PF-Turkoglu
SF-J-Rich
SG-Arenas
PG-Nelson

But I think they need should trade Nelson for a PF or at least a tweener so they can still have a player outside of Howard who can play some defense.

I'm a life long Magic fan. I can promise you Turk will not play PF for us. He is strickly a SF in this system. This is why Lewis was switched to PF originally, because the SF spot is Turks here.

C-Howard
PF- Bass
SF- Turk
SG- J Rich
PG- Nelson

C- Howard
PF- Bass
SF- Turk
SG- Arenas
PG- Nelson

C- Howards
PF- Bass
SF- Turk
SG- J Rich
PG- Arenas

Those are the three starting line up that the magic will use. I don't know which is most likely.

We still have

RadiantShot
12-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah. I still think he has the juice left in him. Then again, J-Rich, Hedo, and Dwight are capable too. Snap. Crackle. Pop. Flop. <3

Chronz
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm a life long Magic fan. I can promise you Turk will not play PF for us. He is strickly a SF in this system. This is why Lewis was switched to PF originally, because the SF spot is Turks here.

C-Howard
PF- Bass
SF- Turk
SG- J Rich
PG- Nelson

C- Howard
PF- Bass
SF- Turk
SG- Arenas
PG- Nelson

C- Howards
PF- Bass
SF- Turk
SG- J Rich
PG- Arenas

Those are the three starting line up that the magic will use. I don't know which is most likely.

We still have

Turk will start at the 3 (maybe) but he will get some time at the 4 especially if Anderson isnt ready

RadiantShot
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Turk will start at the 3 (maybe) but he will get some time at the 4 especially if Anderson isnt ready

Agreed.
I'm sure Anderson will be fine, but if anything, Turk will see some rare minutes.

ManRam
12-20-2010, 05:47 PM

When/if the team is fully healthy, he shouldn't see time at PF at all. I don't see why people think he should or could be successful there.

RadiantShot
12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
When/if the team is fully healthy, he shouldn't see time at PF at all. I don't see why people think he should or could be successful there.

ManRam...
*Cough* No homo. *Cough.*
I had a dream about you.
I was supposedly at my school running to the bus, because...I was in the car line instead...But I was like, 'whoops...I gotta catch the bus,' so...I ran MAD fast, like speedy Gonzalez, and I looked for a bus, and for some reason, I saw mini-van painted Gators colors so I get in and go, "HEY! WHAT'S UP MANRAM?" LMFAO. :laugh: Then...You stuck some squirty thing to the ceiling, and it kept spraying me, so I aimed it back at you and you go, "You're going to get the van wet!" Then you just looked like an ***-hat from there on out. But it was cool. I woke up like, ":confused:"

jim51990
12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
gilbert is trash you people are crazy. was never a great player sure isnt now