PDA

View Full Version : Melo says, "Wherever I go, I'm going to sign the extension"

VinceCarter
12-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Was there a scenario where would sign the extension to play for the Nets? he was asked.

"Wherever I go, I'm going to sign the extension," he replied.

But then he was asked, "If they come to you and say, 'We have a deal to send you to the Nets,' would you sign?"

"I don't know," Anthony said. "I don't know. I'd have to deal with that when it comes."

As has been reported, the likely scenario would be for the Nets and Nuggets to agree to a deal, then the Nuggets would grant the Nets permission to talk with Anthony about an extension. Meanwhile, Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post looks at what 'Melo does best: win games.

Interesting. Seems like stuffs heating up! (http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/19/1886138/melo-im-going-to-sign-extension)

RayRay
12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
He won't be a Net. Just let it go and save yourself the disappointment.

lvlheaded
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
He said Ill sign an extension wherever he goes, and then says he doesnt know if hed sign with the Nets? Classic

Mudvayne91
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I suppose it's really not that big of news. He is going to leave a lot of money on the table if he doesn't sign before the CBA. Personally, I'd almost rather have him walk at the end of the season and have the extra money off the cap instead of getting a bunch of filler players from NY. He's just trying to play the game of chicken with the Nugs FO. Thing is, if the Nugs don't want the players the Knicks have, what do they have to lose if he is already gone in his mind?

Avenged
12-19-2010, 10:29 PM
All this really says is that he really wants out of Denver.

BigBlueCrew
12-19-2010, 10:30 PM
If this was the least bit true he would have been gone a long time ago.

I think he is talking out of both sides of his mouth just to avoid the collusion fine in the NBA.

NYtilIdie
12-19-2010, 10:35 PM
But then he was asked, "If they come to you and say, 'We have a deal to send you to the Nets,' would you sign?"

"I don't know," Anthony said. "I don't know. I'd have to deal with that when it comes."

That is a key part right there. Title is really mis-leading after you read the article.

Giraffes Rule
12-19-2010, 10:35 PM
He said he'll sign an extension with wherever he goes because nobody wants to give up picks and trade assets for him if he won't.

thedfactor
12-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Melo...hmmm this will be going on up til the 24th

D Roses Bulls
12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
anyone else kind of losing respect for melo?

JordansBulls
12-19-2010, 10:47 PM

Pretty much.

Htownballa1622
12-19-2010, 10:48 PM

+1

It just gets to me how ppl can hate on a guy who finishes his contract and goes as a free agent rather than make it obvious you want out.

jeter 2
12-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Netsdaily.com... is this a legitimate source?

jeter 2
12-19-2010, 10:49 PM
also the author is net income......

CB29
12-19-2010, 10:49 PM
will he sign an extension if we get him here in toronto? we have a lot of tradeable assets lol... i doubt it melo...

Gators123
12-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm sick of this guy already. I'm sure Denver fans can't wait until this is over.

PC
12-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Things aren't going to really "heat up" anytime soon. This craps going to go on for another two months until the trade deadline

Blazers#1Fan
12-19-2010, 10:56 PM

yep! not as much as lebron but he's losing it i prefer he goes to the nets he can have the knicks build around him better then the knicks! they will lose out on alot of there player in NYC if nets trade they lose favors and some picks and murphy! and since nyc has felton/ cp3 can go to BK and maybe get jr smith too and harrington for 3 picks Murphy,favors,morrow,outlaw for melo harrington jr smith

Lopez
Harrington
Melo
Smith
Cp3

goose14741
12-19-2010, 10:57 PM
how can the nuggets say no to gallo, fields, curry's expiring contract and a 1st rounder
and why is the nets offer so much better?!
Gallo>Favors
Fields>Favors
fields might win ROY
why would the nuggets want to gamble and add 3 first rounders? they might all be scrubs. Just take curry's 12 mil and use it to buy someone who already proved themselves in the league.
Gallo and fields are young and experienced and both extremely succesful. the knicks are dumb for offering them both.

i just dont get it.

also why do the nets want someone who almost obv doesnt want any part of them and just wants to be on their rivals team?

xbrackattackx
12-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Things aren't going to really "heat up" anytime soon. This craps going to go on for another two months until the trade deadline

AI4MVP
12-19-2010, 11:04 PM
He said Ill sign an extension wherever he goes, and then says he doesnt know if hed sign with the Nets? Classic

yeah dude i was gunna say just the same thing. carmelo is kindof a ****ing dumbass

jimm120
12-19-2010, 11:09 PM

All I want people in this topic to understand is CONTEXT!

Depending on the types of questions he was getting, that was a logical response.

Then, after a slew of other questions, he mentioned that second response, which was logical for that series of questions.

I take that first line as saying, " there is a possibility of signing wherever I go".

RangersMets
12-19-2010, 11:11 PM
yep! not as much as lebron but he's losing it i prefer he goes to the nets he can have the knicks build around him better then the knicks! they will lose out on alot of there player in NYC if nets trade they lose favors and some picks and murphy! and since nyc has felton/ cp3 can go to BK and maybe get jr smith too and harrington for 3 picks Murphy,favors,morrow,outlaw for melo harrington jr smith

Lopez
Harrington
Melo
Smith
Cp3

This isn't the fantasy basketball forum.

xbrackattackx
12-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Carmello is making him self look silly. Please stop I like your game.

VinceCarter
12-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Netsdaily.com... is this a legitimate source?

also the author is net income......

:facepalm:

They don't make this **** up lol.

They report things relating to the Nets through other sources.

For example Ken Berger or NBA.com

VinceCarter
12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
He won't be a Net. Just let it go and save yourself the disappointment.

When did I say he was going to be a Net?

When did I get excited about him becoming a Net?

Stop coming into a forum to bash the topic creator's favorite team.

justinnum1
12-19-2010, 11:23 PM
+1

It just gets to me how ppl can hate on a guy who finishes his contract and goes as a free agent rather than make it obvious you want out.

This.

jimm120
12-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Carmello is making him self look silly. Please stop I like your game.

I really hate this thinking.

Melo has NEVER said that he "wants to get traded".

He didn't sign the extension.

So, instead of playing him all year long, the Nuggets want to trade him.

They ask him for a preference: he says a few teams (I'm guessing Knicks and Bulls). THIS IS NORMAL.

Nuggets ask for too much because teams want an extension from Anthony.

Who are the Nuggets to force Melo to play the next 3 1/2 years in a place just because THEY wanted to send him to that team.

Its the player's right to choose where he goes in the off-season.

Its during the season. Nuggets can choose to trade him wherever they want. They aren't.

Why? Because they're asking for too much for what would be a rental.

THAT is why this drama is being played out. Its not Melo's fault, unless you consider that he SHOULD just readily forgo his free agency period and sign for 3 1/2 years to whichever team takes him...just cause the Nuggets say so.

Mudvayne91
12-19-2010, 11:27 PM
^ He never said he wanted to get traded publically; Whatever happens behind the scenes is completely different. If he wanted to be in Denver, he would've signed by now. Stop acting like the Nugs are holding a gun to his head. It is their right as an organization to trade ANY player to whoever they want to if they don't have a no clause trade. It's just smart business. The Nuggets can't force him to sign any extension that he doesn't want to, so please stop making it out like the Nugs are going to make him play somewhere he doesn't want to for the next 3 years.

how can the nuggets say no to gallo, fields, curry's expiring contract and a 1st rounder
Gallo>Favors
Fields>Favors
fields might win ROY
why would the nuggets want to gamble and add 3 first rounders? they might all be scrubs. Just take curry's 12 mil and use it to buy someone who already proved themselves in the league.
Gallo and fields are young and experienced and both extremely succesful. the knicks are dumb for offering them both.

i just dont get it.

also why do the nets want someone who almost obv doesnt want any part of them and just wants to be on their rivals team?

Well, I don't get why New York fans think their offer is seriously that good. I guess there's obviously some sort of misunderstanding somewhere between Denver and NY.

Chill_Will_24
12-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Gallo>Favors
Fields>Favors
fields might win ROY

i just dont get it.

Ok first of all Fields is NOT gonna be ROY. Not hating on him cuz the kid plays hard but he would need a serious explosion to even sniff Griffin.

Second. There is a growing belief around the league that Fields is merely benefiting from a system thats tailored beautifully for his talents and that on another team he would be no more than a role player. They say he's just a fantasy league stud. That being said, even if he were to keep up what he's doing somewhere else he has no upside. What you see is what you get. Favors is a teenager. He's still growing and is being compared to Dwight, Amare, McDyess, Garnett, and Duncan. That type of potent is mouth watering for a team lookin to rebuild.

Third. The picks in question are most likely lottery picks so getting scrubs that high up is kinda hard if you do your hw.

Fourth. Denver doesnt like Gallo at all. They feel he would struggle outside of DAntonis system. Although I personally hate Gallo, this isn't opinion but fact. Denver is not awed by Gallos occasional 20pt bursts and even less by his far more occasional 6pt games.

Fifth. I haven't heard any report saying the Knicks offered all that. I believe I read that the Knicks want to keep Fields and dont even feel a pressing need for Melo.

Hope that helps you understand a bit more

Chill_Will_24
12-19-2010, 11:56 PM
^ He never said he wanted to get traded publically; Whatever happens behind the scenes is completely different. If he wanted to be in Denver, he would've signed by now. Stop acting like the Nugs are holding a gun to his head. It is their right as an organization to trade ANY player to whoever they want to if they don't have a no clause trade. It's just smart business. The Nuggets can't force him to sign any extension that he doesn't want to, so please stop making it out like the Nugs are going to make him play somewhere he doesn't want to for the next 3 years.

Well, I don't get why New York fans think their offer is seriously that good. I guess there's obviously some sort of misunderstanding somewhere between Denver and NY.

The problem is that Denver is for whatever reasons, really high on Favors. They are more focused on his potential than anything the Knicks have. Knicks wanna keep Fields which is a problem cuz Denver doesn't like Gallo at all. Their not even that high on Fields but with the Knicks not wanting to sacrafise their current success for Melo by gutting the team it becomes difficult. The Nets suck so they don't feel bad about trading major pieces. Desperation is setting in for them so its Melo or bust. They are so desperate to not let Melo go to the Knicks that imo I think they would even facilitate a trade for him to go elsewhere like the Bulls

elizur
12-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Yea, I think he means that he will sign an extention wherever he goes. In his mind, the only team he is going to go to is the Knicks.

THE GIPPER
12-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Gallo>Favors
Fields>Favors
fields might win ROY

i just dont get it.

K well first of all favors is 19 years old...and in 4 years when he's the same age as those other guys are now he'll be way better. And fields wont win roy.

jeter 2
12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Ok first of all Fields is NOT gonna be ROY. Not hating on him cuz the kid plays hard but he would need a serious explosion to even sniff Griffin.

Second. There is a growing belief around the league that Fields is merely benefiting from a system thats tailored beautifully for his talents and that on another team he would be no more than a role player. They say he's just a fantasy league stud. That being said, even if he were to keep up what he's doing somewhere else he has no upside. What you see is what you get. Favors is a teenager. He's still growing and is being compared to Dwight, Amare, McDyess, Garnett, and Duncan. That type of potent is mouth watering for a team lookin to rebuild.

Third. The picks in question are most likely lottery picks so getting scrubs that high up is kinda hard if you do your hw.

Fourth. Denver doesnt like Gallo at all. They feel he would struggle outside of DAntonis system. Although I personally hate Gallo, this isn't opinion but fact. Denver is not awed by Gallos occasional 20pt bursts and even less by his far more occasional 6pt games.

Fifth. I haven't heard any report saying the Knicks offered all that. I believe I read that the Knicks want to keep Fields and dont even feel a pressing need for Melo.

I finally agree with you. I've heard the same things, but without some of your opinions thrown in. I don't think he is going to the Nets or it makes sense for the Nets to give their young players for 1 player.

I think the Knicks try to hardball the Nuggets and get him for cheap(just my opinion) because its only 1 of the few places if not the only place where he will sign the extension.

koreancabbage
12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
he's going to sign whereever he gets traded to cuz that's where he'll make the MOST money. with the new CBA coming up, he'll definitely make less money signing with another team after the season is done. it could be a reason.

NYKNYGNYY
12-20-2010, 12:21 AM
so sick of this

topdog
12-20-2010, 12:22 AM

i.e. "wherever he goes" will be the Knicks.

THE GIPPER
12-20-2010, 12:24 AM
so sick of this

Wont end till feb 24th

jimm120
12-20-2010, 12:28 AM

Well, there have been reports that "melo has shot down trades". Its not Melo that has shot down the trades. Its the trading partners, because Denver is asking for too much for what would be a rental.

baghdadbob
12-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Nugget are upset b/c they think the Knicks are interfering indirectly with Melo.

They keep saying Knicks have no pieces but fact is they do have some pretty good wing players.

Problem is that is they if they do the deal NOW with the Knicks and it turns the Knick guys don't perform then it is perceived by the league GM that Donnie Walsh just gave Uriji anal in the bathroom stall without a jimmy.

If the Knicks guys got to Denver and they perform Uriji is still viewed as a jail house b*t*h b/c the entire league knows the Nets are beyond stupid promising Favors and 3 more #1s.

Uriji needs to hold Mel till the trade deadline in order to SAVE FACE and not be punked. He will send him to the Knicks, take what he can get, Melo gets his money and Uriji can always say "I did the best I could but what was I going to do, lose him for nothing?"

If Uriji is so stupid as to trade Melo now to the Knicks he deserves to be fired the night before Christmas for not letting things play out and giving time a chance to alter Melo's stance. Not only that, if he does it now he also loses face.

Politically, much better for Uriji's job status to take a worse Knick deal February then do a deal now b/c his personal upside does not exist right now but later on.

But MAIN point is the Knick guys being mentioned are better then the trash traded around the NBA yesterday. And lots of uneducated dopes in the NBA think that trash is going to take the Magic to the finals. Gallo, Chandler and Fields are starters on most teams -- not All Stars but starters..

NYKNYGNYY
12-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Well, there have been reports that "melo has shot down trades". Its not Melo that has shot down the trades. Its the trading partners, because Denver is asking for too much for what would be a rental.

are you serious with ur sig :facepalm:

avrpatsfan
12-20-2010, 12:55 AM
This is exactly what I thought.

iamsteel
12-20-2010, 12:57 AM
this whole d-bag thing should make the lebron thing look like a player just signing somewhere else, which is what it was.

Mudvayne91
12-20-2010, 01:15 AM

I suppose his value is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just saying Melo controls his destiny in the future. Maybe not for the rest of the year, but certainly at the end of the year. The Nugs cannot tell him where to sign that 3 year deal or tell him where to sign next year in general (barring some sort of franchise tag upcoming in the CBA). Truthfully, I think the Nets offering Favors, Murphy and 2 picks is giving up too much for him.

Mudvayne91
12-20-2010, 01:27 AM
The problem is that Denver is for whatever reasons, really high on Favors. They are more focused on his potential than anything the Knicks have. Knicks wanna keep Fields which is a problem cuz Denver doesn't like Gallo at all. Their not even that high on Fields but with the Knicks not wanting to sacrafise their current success for Melo by gutting the team it becomes difficult. The Nets suck so they don't feel bad about trading major pieces. Desperation is setting in for them so its Melo or bust. They are so desperate to not let Melo go to the Knicks that imo I think they would even facilitate a trade for him to go elsewhere like the Bulls

I could be a bit off on this, but this is just my opinion. The Knicks team is built to score a bunch of points, but they don't play that great of D. I think Gallo certainly fitting of that category, I can only assume (possibly wrongfully) that for Chandler and Fields based on the system they're in.

Unfortunately, Denver fits that bill too. We don't try to stop you; we just try to outscore you. I think Karl is going to sign a 3 year extension eventually, which shows he is invested to our future. He loves our team running up the court, but I guarantee he'd sacrifice scoring for better defense. I mean, if we could adopt the Spurs philosophy and drop our style of play, I guarantee Karl would. Problem is we have too many "chuckers" that don't play defense like Melo, JR, Harrington, and Chauncey to a degree. If we attempt to get rid of those types of players, it doesn't make sense picking them up for players that fit that same category, at least Gallo. Does that make sense?

topdog
12-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Denver needs to hurry up and tell New York what it's going to take to get Melo (i.e. which of their players and who/what else from another team) before they lose him for nothing and NY signs him outright this summer.

Mudvayne91
12-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Like I've said, if Melo will only sign with the Knicks, I think the Nugs would rather trade him to a team that is willing to do it w/o a guarantee of an extension or just lose his salary at the end of the year. If they don't want the Knicks players, why would they take their salaries?

baghdadbob
12-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Denver needs to hurry up and tell New York what it's going to take to get Melo (i.e. which of their players and who/what else from another team) before they lose him for nothing and NY signs him outright this summer.

Uriji would rather wait and get less on Feb 24 than do the deal now.

So long as Melo only want NY, any trade Uriji does now makes him look bad.

By waiting, Uriji has a remote chance Melo caves. If he does, take the NJ deal in a heart beat.

If on Feb 24 he trades him anyway he can say -- "I got the same deal from NY today as I would have gotten 3 months earlier."

baghdadbob
12-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Like I've said, if Melo will only sign with the Knicks, I think the Nugs would rather trade him to a team that is willing to do it w/o a guarantee of an extension or just lose his salary at the end of the year. If they don't want the Knicks players, why would they take their salaries?

This position that Uriji does not want Knick players is over blown and mis-represented.

I think point is Uriji wants Favors and 2#1s plus the Murphy salary.

But if he needs to take Wilson Chandler, A Randolph (or #1), and Curry ... not so bad.

BklynKnicks3
12-20-2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2AZwd8NsiQ Melo face when he hears Nets answers every question u cant fake that. The man wants to throw up

BklynKnicks3
12-20-2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2AZwd8NsiQ

DeyAce
12-20-2010, 01:43 AM
I think he ends up in Charlotte

hugepatsfan
12-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Jermaine O'Neil, Marquie Daniels, and Perkins for Melo. Get it done Danny!!! lol

CLASSOF72
12-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Right, Melo is an expiring for the Nugs or whoever gets him. NYN's want a dynasty piece(which I as a Lakers fan hope they get), but there's got to be a team out there who could afford the trades and use Melo to make a run. Regardless, the receiving team could use the cap space to recoupe their trade losses or talk Melo into resigning and still reep the bennifit of having Melo down the stretch for 2010/11. Either way you look at it - trade or no trade - Melo is an asset simply in regaurds to numbers in terms of points and dollars.

Sadds The Gr8
12-20-2010, 03:16 AM
if he wants that ring, he should come to the Raps.

zambo4president
12-20-2010, 03:28 AM
I think Melo wants a big city. He'll end up in New York or Chicago.

sargon21
12-20-2010, 04:25 AM
he's going to NY... set up perfectly

sep11ie
12-20-2010, 04:51 AM

Lopez
Harrington
Melo
Smith
Cp3

Wow, that post hurt my brain to read. I nominate that for "worst post of 2010".

WickedBadMan
12-20-2010, 05:05 AM
If he thinks he is going to get the extension signed how is it fair he also picks the team?

Pretty one sided. He's has a lot of money to lose if he Nuggets decide to tell him to **** off, hopefully they hold out as long as possible.

Jarvo
12-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Melo used to be one of my fav players and now iCant stand him after pulling this ****** move with how he doing the nuggets, I really dont see why he wants to go to tbe knicks to me they are just the same as the nuggets if you look into it. Only thing is in the East its a good chance they can go to the finals. Where ever he goes Im rooting against him. Ahh the irony iDidnt really like Lebron Til he Jetted out and went to the Heat and now I do and Dont like Melo

StrandedCub
12-20-2010, 05:57 AM
I suppose his value is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just saying Melo controls his destiny in the future. Maybe not for the rest of the year, but certainly at the end of the year. The Nugs cannot tell him where to sign that 3 year deal or tell him where to sign next year in general (barring some sort of franchise tag upcoming in the CBA). Truthfully, I think the Nets offering Favors, Murphy and 2 picks is giving up too much for him.

The point some people are making is that Melo is looking horrible simply because he wants to test FA market. All Melo has ever said is that he won't sign the extension. Now this obviously means he probably will leave if he reaches Free Agency. But this is his choice, just like it was Lebron's. However, instead of leaving his team in the dark like Lebron did, he is telling Denver that he basically will not be back and letting them decide what to do from there.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WHAT HE IS DOING. I'm sure Cleveland and Toronto would have loved to know that their stars were basically for sure not coming back. Melo didn't want the bad spotlight like those two got, so he took the opposite route and is communicating his intentions with his team.

Unfortunately, their is nothing he can do to make the masses happy. If he did what Lebron did, people would think he's a douche. If he does what he is doing, people think he's a douche. If he gets traded but won't sign an extension, he is a douche because he isn't giving Denver viable options.

No matter what he does, the majority of you will think he was a dick to Denver and a douche overall.

StrandedCub
12-20-2010, 05:59 AM
this whole d-bag thing should make the lebron thing look like a player just signing somewhere else, which is what it was.

Isn't that what Melo is trying to do? But he actually has the courtesy of telling his team that he will not be coming back next year instead of giving all the fans false hope.

StrandedCub
12-20-2010, 06:00 AM

They ask him for a preference: he says a few teams (I'm guessing Knicks and Bulls). THIS IS NORMAL.

Who are the Nuggets to force Melo to play the next 3 1/2 years in a place just because THEY wanted to send him to that team.

Its during the season. Nuggets can choose to trade him wherever they want. They aren't.

THAT is why this drama is being played out. Its not Melo's fault, unless you consider that he SHOULD just readily forgo his free agency period and sign for 3 1/2 years to whichever team takes him...just cause the Nuggets say so.

Couldn't agree more. No matter what Melo does though, the drama is his fault.

JB0B0
12-20-2010, 06:29 AM
He would resign with the Bulls 100%

JB0B0
12-20-2010, 06:29 AM
He would sign the extension with the Knicks, Bulls, and probably Mavs. Orlando is probably out of the picture now.

skiflyer
12-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Mello to Orlando or NY or Bulls. Then that team will be a Beast. Nets No Way!IMO The Heat and Laker Clash is looking like they will have same records next Saturday for the 1/3 season assessment Game ;)

jimm120
12-20-2010, 06:54 AM
are you serious with ur sig :facepalm:

no. I'm not serious.

This is a conversation that two people had. One person started a thread with the first line. the 3rd person answered with the 2nd line. It was funny. So, its sigged.

Its more about how stupid that topic was

jimm120
12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
The point some people are making is that Melo is looking horrible simply because he wants to test FA market. All Melo has ever said is that he won't sign the extension. Now this obviously means he probably will leave if he reaches Free Agency. But this is his choice, just like it was Lebron's. However, instead of leaving his team in the dark like Lebron did, he is telling Denver that he basically will not be back and letting them decide what to do from there.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WHAT HE IS DOING. I'm sure Cleveland and Toronto would have loved to know that their stars were basically for sure not coming back. Melo didn't want the bad spotlight like those two got, so he took the opposite route and is communicating his intentions with his team.

Unfortunately, their is nothing he can do to make the masses happy. If he did what Lebron did, people would think he's a douche. If he does what he is doing, people think he's a douche. If he gets traded but won't sign an extension, he is a douche because he isn't giving Denver viable options.

No matter what he does, the majority of you will think he was a dick to Denver and a douche overall.

These two quotes tell EVERYTHING about this thread. This is nothing more, nothing less.

If I were Denver, I'd keep him. Just because he might not be back doesn't mean you should give up. Look at Pheonix. They kept Amare. They had a good run. Did they win? No, but to me, that showed that they did not give up. Denver should just keep him and make a run with him...unless they are near .500 or something. But if they're still considered a top 4 seed, they should just roll with it.

But they're opting to trade him, even though it'll hurt them in the short term. Its their right. But don't put this on Melo.

DenButsu
12-20-2010, 07:35 AM
But don't put this on Melo.

I'll stop "putting this on Melo" when and if he signs the extension with Denver. But please, let's not pretend that this is not a mess of his own creation.

Beyond that, the most favorable thing I have to say about Melo are that he is at least not phoning it in on the court, which is respectable (under the circumstances, in which I don't respect him very much). And I guess I could add that I'm grateful for his greed, which gives the Nuggets leverage.

airronijordan
12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
This isnt Melos fault...Blame it on the Nuggets FO

Melo very simply stated in the summer that he wants the Nuggets to sign a Big Man....the Nuggets failed to do that (they got Al Harrington)

The whole Nuggets organization was a mess in the summer (The owner left, the GM was dismissed, and it took forever for them to get a new GM)

Since they failed to get a big man and since the organization was a mess, Melo didnt like the direction of the team and therefore wasnt going to sign the extension

Can you really blame that on him? And you can also blame the media for coming up with a Melo rumor 24/7

Blazers#1Fan
12-20-2010, 08:29 AM

thank you i was gonna put pretty much the exact same thing people are buying into dantoni system anybody can score in that system!

fields ROY :facepalm:

Blazers#1Fan
12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Wow, that post hurt my brain to read. I nominate that for "worst post of 2010".

well then dont think because i just smoked 3 swishers & my volcano i got my medical card so my high messed it up

Blazers#1Fan
12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
This isn't the fantasy basketball forum.

how is that fantasy nets can easily get JR SMITH,HARRINGTON WITH MELO FROM DENVER they got the picks and they got the money and players

CP3 would rather go to a team with good players and not products of the D'ANTONI SYSTEM! CP3 PLAYS DEFENSE and is better friends with melo then with amare cp3 and melo hang out alot during the offseason

Confusious
12-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Lmao, forreal. Just come out and say it Melo. Christ. It's SO obvious.

sintaks12
12-20-2010, 08:58 AM
A couple of thoughts...

First, no one mentions him playing out the entire season and then leaving in a S&T. If the Nugs are in the thick of a playoff hunt, why would they trade away their best player and squash that? Isn't there money to be lost there? Has a top player EVER been traded mid-season? Will they really get THAT much less if they wait and complete a S&T? Perhaps.

Second, everyone mentions what a d-bag he is being and that it's worse than Lebron just "signing somewhere in the off season." While I agree that this drama is annoying as hell and that he brought it on himself, I have a HARD time believing that Melo will get boo'd anywhere but in Denver. He won't become the most hated player in the NBA overnight. And I doubt he'll televise his decision. Just sayin.

cooters22
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Why doesn't the guy just play basketball and let his agent discuss his future and contracts behind closed doors? I mean seriously him holding Denver fans hostage at the moment really isn't any better than what LeBron did by holding Cleveland hostage and then rubbing there noses in it with a show. Ok, not quite as bad as that. But right now the fans of Denver don't know if they should cheer or boo for the guy and quite frankly he has a big mouth and should just play bb. Why have an agent Melo if you are doing all the talking?

cooters22
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Melo very simply stated in the summer that he wants the Nuggets to sign a Big Man....the Nuggets failed to do that (they got Al Harrington)

The whole Nuggets organization was a mess in the summer (The owner left, the GM was dismissed, and it took forever for them to get a new GM)

Since they failed to get a big man and since the organization was a mess, Melo didnt like the direction of the team and therefore wasnt going to sign the extension

Can you really blame that on him? And you can also blame the media for coming up with a Melo rumor 24/7

You can't just snap your fingers and get a big man. There are only so many of them, especially good ones.

StrandedCub
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Why doesn't the guy just play basketball and let his agent discuss his future and contracts behind closed doors? I mean seriously him holding Denver fans hostage at the moment really isn't any better than what LeBron did by holding Cleveland hostage and then rubbing there noses in it with a show. Ok, not quite as bad as that. But right now the fans of Denver don't know if they should cheer or boo for the guy and quite frankly he has a big mouth and should just play bb. Why have an agent Melo if you are doing all the talking?

How is he holding Denver fans hostage? I don't quite get what you think he is doing here? And he has a big mouth? What did he say that was so bad? Every single day the media follows him around and asks him continuously about his future. He answers the questions. People continually are going to do their absolute best to make him the bad guy.

BklynKnicks3
12-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Lmao it feels like people in Ny are only ones that Know Nets dont matter, Lucky Melo is a New yorker

Flash3
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
+1

Remeber he never said he wants out. Denver said sign the extention or we're trading your ***.

DenButsu
12-20-2010, 10:42 AM

It's Melo's fault. The Nuggets organization has bent over backwards over the course of his career to bring in talent to compliment him. K-Mart, AI, Billups, J.R., Lawson, and a host of diamond in the rough role players. It says more about Melo, unfortunately, that he couldn't lead the Nuggets out of the first round more than once in spite of all that assistance, than it does about the job the Nuggs FO did at bringing in talent to support him.

Also, Stan Kroenke didn't "leave". He was unable to continue his ownership of the Nuggets once he became majority owner of the Rams. So the ownership was turned over to his son Josh Kroenke, but it's pretty much understood all around that Stan is probably behind the curtain with a hand in the decision making.

And the personnel changes in the front office, if anything, were designed to make Melo happy. If he felt that the FO had not done enough (which apparently he did), those responsible for that (Mark Warkentien, Rex Chapman, and Bret Bearup) were made to pay the price for that. And by all accounts, Melo seemed to be happy with that course of action, and also happy with their replacement, Masai Ujiri, with whom he has a very good rapport.

I'm sure those who want to be apologists for Melo will continue to absolve him of responsibility in this. But the fact will nevertheless remain that he made this damn mess.

king4day
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
If that were true than I'd hope the Suns try or put together a deal of sorts to try and snag him.

DenButsu
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
One more point to add to my post above:

If Melo had actually wanted to help the FO surround him with better talent last summer, the one thing he could have done would have been to sign that extension. "Forcing them to make a move by holding out" might sound good on paper, but the reality was that it made their job of recruiting free agents much, much more difficult, because naturally the top FAs are going to be very reluctant to sign with a team whose franchise player has not committed to staying with them for a while. So at best, at the same time Melo was demanding that the FO make a move to keep him happy, he was simultaneously undermining their ability to make such a move.

----

Or in other words, yes, he has a douchebag throughout this process.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
"Wherever I go, I'm going to sign the extension," he replied.

:confused:

Chill_Will_24
12-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Lmao it feels like people in Ny are only ones that Know Nets dont matter, Lucky Melo is a New yorker

Why you gotta start ****? Smh Knicks fans can keep telling themselves that but fa real ppl in here are just followers. Sociology 101: people follow the majority. Knicks far outnumber the rest of the fans in here by a large margin and most of them love to call the Nets irrelevant, so everyone else follows suit because they don't wanna go against the majority. So therefore mostly everyone calls the Nets irrelevant cuz it's the cool thing to say. Its like a girl in high school when you make fun of the geek cuz everyone else does but you dont really have a problem with him; its just the way things work. The Nets are the "geek". If ppl actually stopped to think, the Nets have more winning records in the last decade than the Knicks. They have a better coach. They also look better built for long term success. The Nets at their worst last year won only 12. That's bad but how many wins did the Nuggets have the season before Melo? How many wins did Miami have the season before Beasley? Not THAT much worse than the Nets. Of course none of this is ever brought up cuz it's going against the "popular kids" (Knicks fans and ESPN who is metaphorically the "popular kids' d**k boy"). How bout ppl actually develop an original mind instead of repeating what other idiots say. Fact: the Nets are NOT a bad team. The last two years have been a product of rebuilding. Class dismissed...

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I wonder how long it will take Melo to figure out there is such a thing as "Im not answering any more Free Agent/Trade questions any more?"

Who knows? It only took Lebron like 2 years to figure it out......

dtmagnet
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM

I lost respect for him in the summer when he started this crap, the whiny baby saw everyone teaming up in Miami and felt left out of the douchebaggery.

Hustla23
12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Why you gotta start ****? Smh Knicks fans can keep telling themselves that but fa real ppl in here are just followers. Sociology 101: people follow the majority. Knicks far outnumber the rest of the fans in here by a large margin and most of them love to call the Nets irrelevant, so everyone else follows suit because they don't wanna go against the majority. So therefore mostly everyone calls the Nets irrelevant cuz it's the cool thing to say. Its like a girl in high school when you make fun of the geek cuz everyone else does but you dont really have a problem with him; its just the way things work. The Nets are the "geek". If ppl actually stopped to think, the Nets have more winning records in the last decade than the Knicks. They have a better coach. They also look better built for long term success. The Nets at their worst last year won only 12. That's bad but how many wins did the Nuggets have the season before Melo? How many wins did Miami have the season before Beasley? Not THAT much worse than the Nets. Of course none of this is ever brought up cuz it's going against the "popular kids" (Knicks fans). How bout ppl actually develop an original mind instead of repeating what other idiots say. Fact: the Nets are NOT a bad team. The last two years have been a product of rebuilding. Class dismissed...
Come on bro. Why'd you have to pop out the sociology on a brotha?

Not fair, man.

sintaks12
12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
I wonder how long it will take Melo to figure out there is such a thing as "Im not answering any more Free Agent/Trade questions any more?"

Who knows? It only took Lebron like 2 years to figure it out......

IMO, because they enjoy the attention. All of these guys are egomaniacs on some level... get real. A simple "no comment" would silence the media. Not with these clowns. Ambiguity abound. Smh. :facepalm:

BklynKnicks3
12-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Why you gotta start ****? Smh Knicks fans can keep telling themselves that but fa real ppl in here are just followers. Sociology 101: people follow the majority. Knicks far outnumber the rest of the fans in here by a large margin and most of them love to call the Nets irrelevant, so everyone else follows suit because they don't wanna go against the majority. So therefore mostly everyone calls the Nets irrelevant cuz it's the cool thing to say. Its like a girl in high school when you make fun of the geek cuz everyone else does but you dont really have a problem with him; its just the way things work. The Nets are the "geek". If ppl actually stopped to think, the Nets have more winning records in the last decade than the Knicks. They have a better coach. They also look better built for long term success. The Nets at their worst last year won only 12. That's bad but how many wins did the Nuggets have the season before Melo? How many wins did Miami have the season before Beasley? Not THAT much worse than the Nets. Of course none of this is ever brought up cuz it's going against the "popular kids" (Knicks fans and ESPN who is metaphorically the "popular kids' d**k boy"). How bout ppl actually develop an original mind instead of repeating what other idiots say. Fact: the Nets are NOT a bad team. The last two years have been a product of rebuilding. Class dismissed...

u are right they are not bad they are horrible i went to a game fake crowd noise to how does it feel to be pathetic and chase a player who wants to play for the poplular kids?

Weezy
12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
u are right they are not bad they are horrible i went to a game fake crowd noise to how does it feel to be pathetic and chase a player who wants to play for the poplular kids?

damn what a post...

Slimsim
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Don't be a douche bag. Can't make fun of a team when We sucked for a decade

AI4MVP
12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
If that were true than I'd hope the Suns try or put together a deal of sorts to try and snag him.

Robin Lopez ,Vince Carters expiring contract, Josh Childress, 2011 first round pick(from Magic), 2011 first round pick(from Phoenix)

Nash/Dragic
Hill/Dudley
Carmelo/Pietrus
Frye/Warrick
Gortat/Frye

where do i sign?

Chill_Will_24
12-20-2010, 05:03 PM
damn what a post...

Love the sig! Need some villains in it. Kid Buu is the best but Vegeta is a bad*** too!

Chill_Will_24
12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Come on bro. Why'd you have to pop out the sociology on a brotha?

Not fair, man.

Lol sorry man. I don't mind when ppl call my team bad or pathetic cuz we ARE right now. Won't lie. However being called irrelevant is the ultimate disrespect to me.

Weezy
12-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Love the sig! Need some villains in it. Kid Buu is the best but Vegeta is a bad*** too!

yea Got another pic.. gonna do another sig with more of the characters.

Denva4Life
12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Interesting. Seems like stuffs heating up! (http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/19/1886138/melo-im-going-to-sign-extension)

cept denver

Chill_Will_24
12-20-2010, 05:13 PM

I feels bad actually. Im very ashamed. I honestly don't want Melo and I truly mean that. I however would rather give up Favors and have him than see him go build a contender in NY that will push the Nets into deep irrelevance once more. My deepest desire is not for the Knicks to do bad but for both our teams do well and both be treated with respect. Yea the artificial crowd noise and reversible jerseys are embarrassing but what can a fan do but push thru it and keep cheering for our childhood team. We all been there

Chill_Will_24
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't be a douche bag. Can't make fun of a team when We sucked for a decade

Thanks bro. I dont hate the Knicks. I dont hate all Knicks fans either. There's just some that don't show the class that you just did. Fans that look at things in perspective and don't put labels on teams based on what the media wants them to believe get all respect from me.

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
IMO, because they enjoy the attention. All of these guys are egomaniacs on some level... get real. A simple "no comment" would silence the media. Not with these clowns. Ambiguity abound. Smh. :facepalm:

Haha! Its like the pretty girl in highschool thats always shutting guys down but revels in the attention!

What really trips me out was last year when Lebron was doing the free agent world tour Melo was the first one to say "I don't need that attention. I had all that courting when I went to college.....blah blah blah....."

D-Leethal
12-20-2010, 06:41 PM
It's Melo's fault. The Nuggets organization has bent over backwards over the course of his career to bring in talent to compliment him. K-Mart, AI, Billups, J.R., Lawson, and a host of diamond in the rough role players. It says more about Melo, unfortunately, that he couldn't lead the Nuggets out of the first round more than once in spite of all that assistance, than it does about the job the Nuggs FO did at bringing in talent to support him.

Also, Stan Kroenke didn't "leave". He was unable to continue his ownership of the Nuggets once he became majority owner of the Rams. So the ownership was turned over to his son Josh Kroenke, but it's pretty much understood all around that Stan is probably behind the curtain with a hand in the decision making.

And the personnel changes in the front office, if anything, were designed to make Melo happy. If he felt that the FO had not done enough (which apparently he did), those responsible for that (Mark Warkentien, Rex Chapman, and Bret Bearup) were made to pay the price for that. And by all accounts, Melo seemed to be happy with that course of action, and also happy with their replacement, Masai Ujiri, with whom he has a very good rapport.

I'm sure those who want to be apologists for Melo will continue to absolve him of responsibility in this. But the fact will nevertheless remain that he made this damn mess.

K-Mart was a product of Kidd and has been an injured mess over the course of his Nuggets career. They signed him to a ridiculous deal and traded 3 picks for him.......the reason NJ traded him is because:

"This was an extremely difficult decision for our franchise, but I felt that the magnitude of the contract, both in its first year due to the signing bonus as well as over its duration, would seriously impair our ability to sign enough quality players,"--Thorn

Nuggets got him to be a big time producer for them and it ended up being a horrible trade, thats supposed to make Melo happy?

Iverson was a horrible fit with Melo and has had chemistry issues throughout his career........adding a me first scorer to compliment Melo was a horrible idea

JR Smith is supposed to help Melo get to the promised land? He is a 6th man me first scorer once again

Lawson is nice, and Nuggets are good at finding nice role players, but thats supposed to keep your superstar happy?

Billups is a great great PG and a champion, but what was we like 34 by the time they got him? He is obviously over the hill at this point in his career and why would Melo sign an extension to play with a PG way way past his prime for the next 3 years?

Fact is, Nuggets have done a horrible job trying to build a championship team around Melo. They have given out horrible contracts to guys that don't deserve them and while doing so they hindered there ability to bring in top level talent to compliment Melo. I see no reason for him to want to sign an extension there.

JerseysFinest
12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Robin Lopez ,Vince Carters expiring contract, Josh Childress, 2011 first round pick(from Magic), 2011 first round pick(from Phoenix)

Nash/Dragic
Hill/Dudley
Carmelo/Pietrus
Frye/Warrick
Gortat/Frye

where do i sign?
that's actually not bad of an offer, i think denver would seriously consider it.

PlezPlayDKnicks
12-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks bro. I dont hate the Knicks. I dont hate all Knicks fans either. There's just some that don't show the class that you just did. Fans that look at things in perspective and don't put labels on teams based on what the media wants them to believe get all respect from me.

Getting rid of ur Sig would help... That instantly gets people worked up... I dislike the Nets but I dont attack Nets fans unless provoked. Im too worried about my own team to pick a fight. Especially when we've been bad for a decade.

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
K-Mart was a product of Kidd and has been an injured mess over the course of his Nuggets career. They signed him to a ridiculous deal and traded 3 picks for him.......the reason NJ traded him is because:

"This was an extremely difficult decision for our franchise, but I felt that the magnitude of the contract, both in its first year due to the signing bonus as well as over its duration, would seriously impair our ability to sign enough quality players,"--Thorn

Nuggets got him to be a big time producer for them and it ended up being a horrible trade, thats supposed to make Melo happy?

Iverson was a horrible fit with Melo and has had chemistry issues throughout his career........adding a me first scorer to compliment Melo was a horrible idea

JR Smith is supposed to help Melo get to the promised land? He is a 6th man me first scorer once again

Lawson is nice, and Nuggets are good at finding nice role players, but thats supposed to keep your superstar happy?

Billups is a great great PG and a champion, but what was we like 34 by the time they got him? He is obviously over the hill at this point in his career and why would Melo sign an extension to play with a PG way way past his prime for the next 3 years?

Fact is, Nuggets have done a horrible job trying to build a championship team around Melo. They have given out horrible contracts to guys that don't deserve them and while doing so they hindered there ability to bring in top level talent to compliment Melo. I see no reason for him to want to sign an extension there.

I don't know if I would say they've done a horrible job. When healthy all of those pieces fit pretty well and they're a damn fine team. With George Karl on the bench last year and a healthy KMart who is to say what would've happened? Iverson also had a damn fine year when he had a full season with them, I believe a career high in assist and the team did well.

Really they're not that far away but you can't blame them for not being able to beat the Lakers, nobody can.

If you look at their roster 1-12 right now it is very good. Some may even argue if Melo was a better player and not just a scorer he could get them to the next level.....

DoMeFavors
12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Part of me thinks Carmelo stays in Denver, Anderson and Martin arent even playing and they have a good record. Kmart expires this year huges contract, they can buy out Billups huge contract, Nenes with all that cap they can sign a lot of talent around Melo.

The_Mac22
12-20-2010, 07:28 PM
He wants to go to Golden State.

/jk

D-Leethal
12-20-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't know if I would say they've done a horrible job. When healthy all of those pieces fit pretty well and they're a damn fine team. With George Karl on the bench last year and a healthy KMart who is to say what would've happened? Iverson also had a damn fine year when he had a full season with them, I believe a career high in assist and the team did well.

Really they're not that far away but you can't blame them for not being able to beat the Lakers, nobody can.

If you look at their roster 1-12 right now it is very good. Some may even argue if Melo was a better player and not just a scorer he could get them to the next level.....

Thing is KMart is not healthy, and has rarely been after the Nuggets made a huge investment in him.....AI was a great scorer and statistically had some very good seasons in DEN but that does not mean he was a good fit........putting a me first scorer to compliment a me first scorer is a bad move no matter how you slice it............GMs are supposed to know these things.

08-09 Chauncey was the only time Melo had a legit #2 option that actually complimented his game and he took them to the WCF and went toe to toe with the champs......Chauncey has fallen off big time since then and Melo is left once again without a legit side kick......

I don't think there roster is very good outside of Melo and Nene and they handed out horrible contracts to guys like Harrington, Birdman, and KMart which prevented and will continue to prevent them them from bringing in a legit #2 option.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
He wants to go to Golden State.

/jk

I would go to Golden State if I was a free agent, great fans and the bay area is beatiful.

DenButsu
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM

There are probably few Nuggets fans at PSD who have been more critical of AI than me. But the fact of the matter is that at the time he was brought in to Denver, he was one of Melo's best friends and Melo was absolutely ecstatic about the move. I soured on it after the first season, when it obviously wasn't panning out as they'd hoped, but there probably is not a single move the FO has made while Melo has been a player w/ the Nuggets which made him happier. It's crazy to suggest that the FO should be faulted for picking up a "two birds with one stone" player, who would both (on the surface, at least) make the team better and make Melo happier.

You really don't understand how valuable K-Mart (defense), J.R. Smith (spreads the floor) and Lawson (spreads the floor and gets Melo the ball in great spots) are as complimentary players to Melo, then you don't understand Melo's game and/or Nuggets basketball in general, and I don't have time to explain it to you right now.

And when you're trying to bash the Billups acquisition, which was the single biggest change in the Nuggs roster which enable them to reach the WCF and damn near beat the Lakeers, then you're obviously just going way out of your way to hate on it, without any real justification.

A "horrible" job? LeBron might well have won a title with the team the Nuggs FO built around Melo.

People who have posted in the NBA forum a long time know that I've long been one of Melo's biggest supporters, defending him through times when he was taking a ****load of criticism around here (also joining in that criticism when appropriate, as it was in the case of the DUI, for example).

And I'll still be a fan if he re-signs in Denver, although my enjoyment of it will be tarnished a bit.

But yes, he is being a total douchebag and taking a course of action which will set back by 3-5 years, quite probably, the team who had his back after the brawl in New York, the team that had his back after the bronze medal fiasco, the team that had his back after stop snitching, the team that had his back after the marijuana possession, the team that had his back after the DUI, the organization that has shown him 100% support and loyalty from day one - and also built a pretty damn great team around him to boot - he's turning his back on them, and ****ing them over. So yeah, pretty much **** him, his ego, and LaLa's "career".

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Well you get no argument from me about Chauncey falling off. IMO letting him play this summer was insane considering his age, I think that has a lot to do with his steady decline this year.

The role players serve a purpose though. It's just like LA when you look at guys like D Fish, individually and statistically not that great but a awesome role player that fits. Also I think you're sleeping on my boy Afflalo he is really nice, used properly he could be you're defensive stopper.

My whole thing with Melo is where is he going to go that really gives him a chance to win? He goes to New York, they still can't beat Boston and probably not even Orlando now. He goes to New Jersey and he's worse off than he is now. With Yao out, Houston aint beating LA with him. Only team I see that gives him a legit shot is Chicago but Im going out on a limb and saying you guys don't want Luo Deng..... I'd do it, but I don't think they will.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Well you get no argument from me about Chauncey falling off. IMO letting him play this summer was insane considering his age, I think that has a lot to do with his steady decline this year.

The role players serve a purpose though. It's just like LA when you look at guys like D Fish, individually and statistically not that great but a awesome role player that fits. Also I think you're sleeping on my boy Afflalo he is really nice, used properly he could be you're defensive stopper.

My whole thing with Melo is where is he going to go that really gives him a chance to win? He goes to New York, they still can't beat Boston and probably not even Orlando now. He goes to New Jersey and he's worse off than he is now. With Yao out, Houston aint beating LA with him. Only team I see that gives him a legit shot is Chicago but Im going out on a limb and saying you guys don't want Luo Deng..... I'd do it, but I don't think they will.

WHY? They trade for him they have 20 million still in cap space this summer to sign another good player with him. Plus they have a former All Star in Devin Harris and decent big in Brook Lopez.

D-Leethal
12-20-2010, 07:47 PM
There are probably few Nuggets fans at PSD who have been more critical of AI than me. But the fact of the matter is that at the time he was brought in to Denver, he was one of Melo's best friends and Melo was absolutely ecstatic about the move. I soured on it after the first season, when it obviously wasn't panning out as they'd hoped, but there probably is not a single move the FO has made while Melo has been a player w/ the Nuggets which made him happier. It's crazy to suggest that the FO should be faulted for picking up a "two birds with one stone" player, who would both (on the surface, at least) make the team better and make Melo happier.

You really don't understand how valuable K-Mart (defense), J.R. Smith (spreads the floor) and Lawson (spreads the floor and gets Melo the ball in great spots) are as complimentary players to Melo, then you don't understand Melo's game and/or Nuggets basketball in general, and I don't have time to explain it to you right now.

And when you're trying to bash the Billups acquisition, which was the single biggest change in the Nuggs roster which enable them to reach the WCF and damn near beat the Lakeers, then you're obviously just going way out of your way to hate on it, without any real justification.

A "horrible" job? LeBron might well have won a title with the team the Nuggs FO built around Melo.

People who have posted in the NBA forum a long time know that I've long been one of Melo's biggest supporters, defending him through times when he was taking a ****load of criticism around here (also joining in that criticism when appropriate, as it was in the case of the DUI, for example).

And I'll still be a fan if he re-signs in Denver, although my enjoyment of it will be tarnished a bit.

But yes, he is being a total douchebag and taking a course of action which will set back by 3-5 years, quite probably, the team who had his back after the brawl in New York, the team that had his back after the bronze medal fiasco, the team that had his back after stop snitching, the team that had his back after the marijuana possession, the team that had his back after the DUI, the organization that has shown him 100% support and loyalty from day one - and also built a pretty damn great team around him to boot - he's turning his back on them, and ****ing them over. So yeah, pretty much **** him, his ego, and LaLa's "career".

I guess you can say it was smart to bring in Melo's friend and a guy he wanted to play with in AI, but GMs aren't really supposed to make huge acquisitions based on that.......its one thing like TOR did to sign a guy like Jarret Jack to appease Bosh (best friends and college teammates) because its a low risk move and he fit chemistry wise with the team but smart management would not be adding a guy like AI with a huge contract to compliment Melo because they don't compliment each other at all.

IMO the most integral part to a winning team is making sure the #2 option is a great fit next to #1 option, their games MUST compliment each other to be successful, role players can be found after you have the #1 and the #2 set....JR and Lawson may be nice role players, but the Nugs failed in bringing in that second guy to help Melo get over the hump (Chauncey worked for a year, but has fallen off big time since and is only getting older)......saying he should stay because the Nugs found a few role players that fit is like saying Lebron should have stayed because of Anthony Parker and Mo Williams

K-Mart brings good defense but that acquisition backfired on them big time. Whenever you hand a guy with severe injury history a huge long term deal and he ends up being crippled for the majority of his contract, that is a bad deal. If KMart overcame his injuries and remained healthy for the majority of his contract things might be different, but the fact is he hasn't

I didn't bash the Chauncey acquisition, but the fact is he was already past his prime when they got him and only had 1 good year with them, Nuggets fans seem to already want him gone........thats supposed to be enough to convince Melo to have faith that this team will compete for years to come?

They may not have done a horrible job, but they IMO did not do enough for Melo to justify signing an extension with the team.......the Harrington signing would be the icing on the cake for me.......

That last part I completely agree with, outside of personnel acquisitions, the Nuggets organization has done everything to back their star, but sadly sometimes that is not enough to keep them from leaving

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
WHY? They trade for him they have 20 million still in cap space this summer to sign another good player with him. Plus they have a former All Star in Devin Harris and decent big in Brook Lopez.

Im talking win now, like winning a championship. He goes there now and they're not getting a ring. Maybe they sign someone in the summer, maybe they don't, but its not a gaurantee. Supposedly his whole reason for leaving is he wants to win right now and that aint happening in Jersey.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Im talking win now, like winning a championship. He goes there now and they're not getting a ring. Maybe they sign someone in the summer, maybe they don't, but its not a gaurantee. Supposedly his whole reason for leaving is he wants to win right now and that aint happening in Jersey.

I think he just wants that extension. In terms of winning this year ofcourse the Nets cant.

NiteRider1667
12-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Couldn't agree more, DenButsu.

Denver has developed this guy and turned him into the professional he is today. They stood by him and provided him with the support and guidance necessary to turn his career around. Melo is making a huge mistake, especially, if it's to provide Lala an opportunity to have a career outside of hosting the occasional lame *** reality TV show reunion.

Flash3
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
why do new jersey and new york have beef between each other ?

Knicks Fire Dog
12-20-2010, 08:55 PM
why do new jersey and new york have beef between each other ?

why is the sky blue? how high is up? why do people like Dragon Ball Z? Why are the people from Jersey Shore getting paid more money in a month than I will ever see in my life time when I know I am smarter than all of them combined intellect wise? Things that can not be answered my friend.

New Jerzey and New York will always hate each other. Started way back when the Statue of Liberty was a gift to us. Whose is it? Jerz or NY?

PS.....whats up with Dragon Ball Z? Is it me or do they look like really small steroid people that cry alot?

oak2455
12-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I think he just wants that extension. In terms of winning this year ofcourse the Nets cant.

Im not being a DICK but they arent winning anytime soon, this is why hes not coming:eyebrow:

ManningToTyree
12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
He will sign an extension where ever he goes because he won't go anywhere with out agreeing to an extension. No one is gunna trade for him as a rental. this means nothing.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
why is the sky blue? how high is up? why do people like Dragon Ball Z? Why are the people from Jersey Shore getting paid more money in a month than I will ever see in my life time when I know I am smarter than all of them combined intellect wise? Things that can not be answered my friend.

New Jerzey and New York will always hate each other. Started way back when the Statue of Liberty was a gift to us. Whose is it? Jerz or NY?

PS.....whats up with Dragon Ball Z? Is it me or do they look like really small steroid people that cry alot?

I dont know anyone that lives in NY that hates New Jersey or vice versa. I live in the tri state and see no hatred at all. Maybe online talking about sports. I go to NYC all the time its like 5 minutes away.

DoMeFavors
12-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Im not being a DICK but they arent winning anytime soon, this is why hes not coming:eyebrow:

Five 1st rounders in 2 years can make great trades. Have a lot of money to spend I think around 25 million in cap space. If they sign Carmelo and sign another free agent. Then they will be in a win now mode which would result in trading picks for veterans and capable players. See Celtics in 2007 they had a lot of picks, money to spend and young talent.

Kinglorious
12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Why is he so dead-set on leaving Denver? Problems with management? Does the city itself smell or something? Denver (to me) seems like a great place to play and live, or am I missing something? :confused:

I know it's wrong to make general assumptions like this, but if I was a successful player in the NBA (like Melo) I'd care more about my image, and also creating a legacy and reputation for being a loyal player - kind of like Reggie Miller or Kevin Garnett (who initially refused to leave Minnesota).

I'm not going to lie, I am losing a bit of respect for him. What I do respect is that he is at least giving Denver a heads up. That being my two cents, I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, wherever they might be.

But to be honest, I don't really give a ****. I wish all this uncertainty would be over - sooner rather than later.

masalex1205
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM

great post

goose14741
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM

im not even going to waste my time, that was all your opinion and your a nets fan...obv your going to say that

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Why is he so dead-set on leaving Denver? Problems with management? Does the city itself smell or something? Denver (to me) seems like a great place to play and live, or am I missing something? :confused:

I know it's wrong to make general assumptions like this, but if I was a successful player in the NBA (like Melo) I'd care more about my image, and also creating a legacy and reputation for being a loyal player - kind of like Reggie Miller or Kevin Garnett (who initially refused to leave Minnesota).

I'm not going to lie, I am losing a bit of respect for him. What I do respect is that he is at least giving Denver a heads up. That being my two cents, I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, wherever they might be.

But to be honest, I don't really give a ****. I wish all this uncertainty would be over - sooner rather than later.

Well for what its worth he claims he's still not totally opposed to re-signing with them but on their end its definitely not worth the gamble to wait and see. But him leaving is all under the guise of winning which I am not buying because unless he goes to a contender already anyteam thats just on the fringes of contending would have to give up so much to get him it'd just be a lateral move.....

At the end of the day if he were to keep it real his wife is probably just tired of Denver. Before he got hitched he used to say he wanted to be a Nugget for life. Then he gets his better half and all the sudden all of this trepedation. You already know what he's being told......

Flash3
12-20-2010, 10:52 PM

no, denver is dead set in trading him, mello wants to keep his options open but denver already came out and said sign or you will be traded.

Chill_Will_24
12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
im not even going to waste my time, that was all your opinion and your a nets fan...obv your going to say that

:sigh: ok...

DenButsu
12-21-2010, 05:25 AM
no, denver is dead set in trading him, mello wants to keep his options open but denver already came out and said sign or you will be traded.

You could not have missed the bullseye with this post any wider if you had shot in the exact opposite direction of the target. This is simply completely false.

sintaks12
12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Well for what its worth he claims he's still not totally opposed to re-signing with them but on their end its definitely not worth the gamble to wait and see. But him leaving is all under the guise of winning which I am not buying because unless he goes to a contender already anyteam thats just on the fringes of contending would have to give up so much to get him it'd just be a lateral move.....

At the end of the day if he were to keep it real his wife is probably just tired of Denver. Before he got hitched he used to say he wanted to be a Nugget for life. Then he gets his better half and all the sudden all of this trepedation. You already know what he's being told......

Well, if he stays he's gonna need a real estate agent. Didn't dude sell his house months ago in preparation to skip town? I mean... I know it's not basketball-related and it's not a public declaration that says "I'm leaving"... but damn. Sure doesn't look like he's gonna join the PTA anytime soon.

(of course, the sale coulda been a Bleacher Report BS article... can't remember and don't feel like looking it up.)

Flash3
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
You could not have missed the bullseye with this post any wider if you had shot in the exact opposite direction of the target. This is simply completely false.

really ? how so. Did or did'nt the nuggets come out and say sign the extention or you'll be traded cause they didnt want another "bosh, lebron" situation where they hold their team captive and leave at the end. If i'm wrong can you please tell me what the real situation is.

IBleedPurple
12-21-2010, 06:26 PM

It seems to be mostly about marketability IMO. He wants to be more of a media icon, has started directing movies, etc. Honestly there was a change when LaLa came into the picture. I think he has a lot of voices in his ear, and his own doubts about which city is correct for him, not necessarily what team.

Like many have said, if this was all about winning, it wouldn't include teams such as the Nets. Yes, they are better this season, but the Melo trade would cripple their roster once again, and likely would leave Melo, Lopez, and some fillers.

Sly Guy
12-21-2010, 07:12 PM

was thinking the same thing....haha....oh the poor nets.

Chill_Will_24
12-21-2010, 07:42 PM
It seems to be mostly about marketability IMO. He wants to be more of a media icon, has started directing movies, etc. Honestly there was a change when LaLa came into the picture. I think he has a lot of voices in his ear, and his own doubts about which city is correct for him, not necessarily what team.

Like many have said, if this was all about winning, it wouldn't include teams such as the Nets. Yes, they are better this season, but the Melo trade would cripple their roster once again, and likely would leave Melo, Lopez, and some fillers.

Exactly....

Melos Priorities:

1. Extension- he wants that money. Plain and simple. Hell teams like Dallas that trade for what they THINK is a rental might even be pleasantly surprised to find he's willing to stay.

2. New York. He wants to move to the NY area where his roots are. His wife is from there too and her non existent career will blossom there. He specifically wants to play for the Knicks. However i think he would take a compromise and settle for the Nets. Brooklyn vs Manhattan is not a bout he's interested in. He just wants his money.

3. Winning. He wants to get to a team and win. He sees his friends in MIA and wants to compete but not at the expense of playing where he doesn't feel happy.

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 04:39 AM
really ? how so. Did or did'nt the nuggets come out and say sign the extention or you'll be traded cause they didnt want another "bosh, lebron" situation where they hold their team captive and leave at the end. If i'm wrong can you please tell me what the real situation is.

The short version is that Melo is forcing the trade by not signing the extension with Denver, and that the Nuggets want nothing more than for him to sign it, and another after that, and retire as a career-long Nugget, without ever again giving them cause to think they might need to trade him in order not to lose him for nothing.

You twisted it around to be exactly the opposite of that, that the Nuggets are initiating this by wanting to trade him, which couldn't be further from the truth.

The truth of what the Nuggets want is the extension they put on the table to get signed.

kblo247
12-22-2010, 06:49 AM
The short version is that Melo is forcing the trade by not signing the extension with Denver, and that the Nuggets want nothing more than for him to sign it, and another after that, and retire as a career-long Nugget, without ever again giving them cause to think they might need to trade him in order not to lose him for nothing.

You twisted it around to be exactly the opposite of that, that the Nuggets are initiating this by wanting to trade him, which couldn't be further from the truth.

The truth of what the Nuggets want is the extension they put on the table to get signed.

Why would he sign the extension before they prove to him that they can bring in actual talent and make smart contender type moves?

They were forced into the Iverson because of the MSG fight, but no one made them give Kenyon Martin close to max money, throw away Camby for nothing, and let Kleiza walk when they had the option to match

The Billups trade was a 1 year stopgap as his play has diminished quickly. Besides that all he ever has had to really count on as consistent contributors is Nene who is often injured and JR who has one of the wort IQs of most players.

Then this summer when LA was going out and getting the Killers B's, The Jazz were getting Al and vets, Boston were bringing in Oneal's, Booz went to chicago, New York was retooling, and Miami scored a coup they brought the man Al ****ing Harrington and Shelden Williams to win with.

They haven't even made a trade to try and say look we are trying to win and keep you because we know what we have isn't enough, like the Cavs did for Lebron in the past and Orlando just did for Dwight.

They have given him no reason to reasonably think they are interested in contending and are willing to improve their team. Any player who signs a extension in that situation is after the cash and not winning, like Joe Johnson and would be laughed at and scrutinized if he did so by outside fans and analysts.

So, lets not act like Melo is doing a franchise who never had a winning or consistent history of playoff relevance before him an injustice.

KALI4ORNIA
12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Why would he sign the extension before they prove to him that they can bring in actual talent and make smart contender type moves?

They were forced into the Iverson because of the MSG fight, but no one made them give Kenyon Martin close to max money, throw away Camby for nothing, and let Kleiza walk when they had the option to match

The Billups trade was a 1 year stopgap as his play has diminished quickly. Besides that all he ever has had to really count on as consistent contributors is Nene who is often injured and JR who has one of the wort IQs of most players.

Then this summer when LA was going out and getting the Killers B's, The Jazz were getting Al and vets, Boston were bringing in Oneal's, Booz went to chicago, New York was retooling, and Miami scored a coup they brought the man Al ****ing Harrington and Shelden Williams to win with.

They haven't even made a trade to try and say look we are trying to win and keep you because we know what we have isn't enough, like the Cavs did for Lebron in the past and Orlando just did for Dwight.

They have given him no reason to reasonably think they are interested in contending and are willing to improve their team. Any player who signs a extension in that situation is after the cash and not winning, like Joe Johnson and would be laughed at and scrutinized if he did so by outside fans and analysts.

So, lets not act like Melo is doing a franchise who never had a winning or consistent history of playoff relevance before him an injustice.

HAHA are you serious? I guess by next year the GARNETT deal that was HANDED over to them won't be as meaningful since he'll be old and slow like billups. Are you saying with this team now? That the nuggets could not contend? If so then by all means you are the one with a low I.Q. Or maybe you just can't read and dont have a television. Ha anways man.They've made moves like any other team has to keep their stars. Most of the players they got became injury prone or flat never panned out. Iverson, and billups. I bet you were one of the people hyped up and on denver's **** when those trades happened. Easy to look back and say how stupid getting iverson was. But at that time it wasnt. Not every team gets handed PAU GASOLS and so on for KWAME ****** BROWN so that their superstar will stick around. Come back down to reality already and stop living in NBA2kLand there player!

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Dude, did you really just put "they let Kleiza walk" in your 2nd paragraph? You should at least try to bury that one deeper if you need to fluff up your argument...

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
And you don't understand free agency very well. If Deron was communicating that he wouldn't be around (by not signing a Jazz extension offer with one year left on his contractual obligation), Al Jeff wouldn't have signed with Utah, either.

Melo basically stole the Nuggets' lunch money, and then demanded they buy him lunch.

tangent12
12-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Translation..

Melo says: "**** the Nuggets in the ***".

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 12:48 PM
BTW, I absolutely love Broussard's backpedaling today. Classic. Dude has zero credibility.

And how about "Incarcerated Bob"? Wasn't he one of the most supposedly reliable rumor sources? All of a sudden, he's Melo to NJ.

I've said it a zillion times: Nobody knows what really will happen or what Melo really will or won't accept until it happens. But man, these guys who are supposed to be in the know sure as hell do their own credibility a disservice by shifting course every 3 or 4 days or so. C'mon, Chris Boussard! Tell us what's really happening, man! :rolleyes:

Hustla23
12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
BTW, I absolutely love Broussard's backpedaling today. Classic. Dude has zero credibility.

And how about "Incarcerated Bob"? Wasn't he one of the most supposedly reliable rumor sources? All of a sudden, he's Melo to NJ.

I've said it a zillion times: Nobody knows what really will happen or what Melo really will or won't accept until it happens. But man, these guys who are supposed to be in the know sure as hell do their own credibility a disservice by shifting course every 3 or 4 days or so. C'mon, Chris Boussard! Tell us what's really happening, man! :rolleyes:
Dude, don't **** with Bob.

He has people you know.... :hide:

pebloemer
12-22-2010, 01:18 PM

You have a very strange emphasis in making your arguments.

You compare the Nuggets' off-season like this?

Jazz, Chicago, Miami and New York were in completely different situations than Denver and the comparison is totally non-linear.

New York and Chicago have been rebuilding franchise and as such had cap space to make a huge splash in free agency. If Denver ran the franchise to try and get tons of cap space in free agency, they would have wasted the past few years, trying to clear cap.... Using them as an example shows no understanding of the reality of NBA business...

Miami would be a rebuilding franchise if it weren't for Wade keeping them afloat, but they sacrificed their ability to be competitive to prepare for this off-season.

The Jazz had space to take on additional salary in a deal allowing them attain Jefferson. The reason they had that space is by letting Boozer go. Is getting Jefferson really a significant improvement over Boozer? Actually it does nothing more than partially fill the void left by Boozer.

Boston and Lakers are fine comparisons, because their franchises are in similar situations. Looking to compete NOW and have to follow CBA rules for acquiring players through free agency. But I have to ask... are over the hill Oneals, or Blake and Barnes really more impacting players than Harrington? Just because you emphasize "****ing" in his name doesn't negate his impact as a player.

I'll ignore the fact that the Lakers only got Barnes because another deal fell through and he was left with no where to sign for significant money. Either way, the Lakers don't look too much better than they were last year and Boston's resurgence is primarily a result of Garnett's health. The Oneal's have played less than 30 games combined...

You make very odd points and use hindsight in an incredible biased way in this post...

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Dude, don't **** with Bob.

He has people you know.... :hide:

Why the hell does ANYBODY believe a single word of what that random-*** mofo says anyhow?

Hi, I'm Bob. "Incarcerated" gives me street cred. So believe me.

Mm-kaaayy...

educator06
12-22-2010, 02:07 PM
might be better off just staying in denver.....would love to see him with the bulls though.

SteBO
12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
You have a very strange emphasis in making your arguments.

You compare the Nuggets' off-season like this?

Jazz, Chicago, Miami and New York were in completely different situations than Denver and the comparison is totally non-linear.

New York and Chicago have been rebuilding franchise and as such had cap space to make a huge splash in free agency. If Denver ran the franchise to try and get tons of cap space in free agency, they would have wasted the past few years, trying to clear cap.... Using them as an example shows no understanding of the reality of NBA business...

Miami would be a rebuilding franchise if it weren't for Wade keeping them afloat, but they sacrificed their ability to be competitive to prepare for this off-season.

The Jazz had space to take on additional salary in a deal allowing them attain Jefferson. The reason they had that space is by letting Boozer go. Is getting Jefferson really a significant improvement over Boozer? Actually it does nothing more than partially fill the void left by Boozer.

Boston and Lakers are fine comparisons, because their franchises are in similar situations. Looking to compete NOW and have to follow CBA rules for acquiring players through free agency. But I have to ask... are over the hill Oneals, or Blake and Barnes really more impacting players than Harrington? Just because you emphasize "****ing" in his name doesn't negate his impact as a player.

I'll ignore the fact that the Lakers only got Barnes because another deal fell through and he was left with no where to sign for significant money. Either way, the Lakers don't look too much better than they were last year and Boston's resurgence is primarily a result of Garnett's health. The Oneal's have played less than 30 games combined...

You make very odd points and use hindsight in an incredible biased way in this post...

What are you talking about? He's telling the truth of the situation. Denver was dumb making impact players like Dahntay Jones and Linas Klieza walk in free agency. That team made it to the Western Conference Finals and with a couple of subtle additions could have probably gotten over the hump because they played phsically and was a huge matchup problem for the Lakers. They've needed a big man for years and they didn't make any strong attempts to make that happen.

Your mentioning of Matt Barnes is completely irrelevant. You do know that Kobe Bryant recruited this guy the minute he opted out of his contract. He did the same thing with Raja Bell, and heck, he even spoke to Mike Miller when the free agency period opened. In short, L.A. made an effort to improve their team in the areas they were weakest and they accomplished that mightely. I haven't seen that push from Denver to try to keep Carmelo feeling like he still has a chance to win. Cleveland tried to keep LeBron feling he could win. Kobe Bryant asked out of a contract when he was losing in 06-07 and what happened the following year? They got Pau Gasol. kblo isn't being biased. It's reality.

pebloemer
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
What are you talking about? I am talking about broad arguments that show no insight to the reality of Denver's situation being used as a reasoning to defend Carmelo.

He's telling the truth of the situation. Denver was dumb making impact players like Dahntay Jones and Linas Klieza walk in free agency. That team made it to the Western Conference Finals and with a couple of subtle additions could have probably gotten over the hump because they played phsically and was a huge matchup problem for the Lakers. They've needed a big man for years and they didn't make any strong attempts to make that happen. I really don't see the significant difference between Harrington and Afflala over Kleiza and Jones. In fact, Harrington and Afflalo are arguably more reliable.

Your mentioning of Matt Barnes is completely irrelevant. You do know that Kobe Bryant recruited this guy the minute he opted out of his contract. Actually Matt Barnes had an agreement signed to go the Toronto Raptor's this off-season. The two general managers' error in understanding the CBA made the sign and trade deal impossible, and it fell through. The Lakers getting lucky for other GM's incompetence does not fall as a good example for the Laker's doing more to build around their star.

He did the same thing with Raja Bell, and heck, he even spoke to Mike Miller when the free agency period opened. In short, L.A. made an effort to improve their team in the areas they were weakest and they accomplished that mightely. I did not realize Kobe was a general manager. Are you comparing Kobe reaching out to his peers, to a general manager's inability to acquire a star big man? I don't see the correlation in logic at all. Actually I could even turn it around for a better use of your example... was Melo reaching out to his peers to have them sign in Denver? That would be a direct way to use that example in an argument.

I haven't seen that push from Denver to try to keep Carmelo feeling like he still has a chance to win. Cleveland tried to keep LeBron feling he could win. Kobe Bryant asked out of a contract when he was losing in 06-07 and what happened the following year? They got Pau Gasol.

Denver has brought in players like Afflalo, Harrington, Billups, Iverson and Martin and a hall of fame coach in Karl. As you put it, the groups that Denver has put around Melo, "made it to the Western Conference Finals; played phsically and was a huge matchup problem for the Lakers." Now your claim is; "I haven't seen that push from Denver to try to keep Carmelo feeling like he still has a chance to win."

You using Cleveland as an example for your argument is hysterical by the way. Cleveland is a disaster at the moment because their approach failed.

Although the Pau Gasol transaction happened in reality, you trying to sell it off as the expectation for what Denver should do, is not based at all in reality. It was a rare situation of opportunity that 29 NBA general managers wish would present itself. Perrenial all star big men are very difficult to acquire. If you want to use that as an example, you should probably point to possible deals that can be available or have been available for Denver management. Otherwise it really doesn't fit into the context of this Denver team over the years.

kblo isn't being biased. It's reality. Using hyperbole and 20/20 hindsight to aid your point is exactly what it means to be biased. It is the arguments used that baffle me and show bias. I can accept the sentiment that the grass may be greener for Carmelo elsewhere, but why the need to complicate it and bash Denver management? Also, then why the need to speak publicly about all this and strap the hands of management to get a good deal done? He can put pressure on management privately. The NBA is a business and that would be the professional way to respond.

SteBO
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I am talking about broad arguments that show no insight to the reality of Denver's situation being used as a reasoning to defend Carmelo.

I really don't see the significant difference between Harrington and Afflala over Kleiza and Jones. In fact, Harrington and Afflalo are arguably more reliable.

Actually Matt Barnes had an agreement signed to go the Toronto Raptor's this off-season. The two general managers' error in understanding the CBA made the sign and trade deal impossible, and it fell through. The Lakers getting lucky for other GM's incompetence does not fall as a good example for the Laker's doing more to build around their star.

I did not realize Kobe was a general manager. Are you comparing Kobe reaching out to his peers, to a general manager's inability to acquire a star big man? I don't see the correlation in logic at all. Actually I could even turn it around for a better use of your example... was Melo reaching out to his peers to have them sign in Denver? That would be a direct way to use that example in an argument.

Denver has brought in players like Afflalo, Harrington, Billups, Iverson and Martin and a hall of fame coach in Karl. As you put it, the groups that Denver has put around Melo, "made it to the Western Conference Finals; played phsically and was a huge matchup problem for the Lakers." Now your claim is; "I haven't seen that push from Denver to try to keep Carmelo feeling like he still has a chance to win."

You using Cleveland as an example for your argument is hysterical by the way. Cleveland is a disaster at the moment because their approach failed.

Although the Pau Gasol transaction happened in reality, you trying to sell it off as the expectation for what Denver should do, is not based at all in reality. It was a rare situation of opportunity that 29 NBA general managers wish would present itself. Perrenial all star big men are very difficult to acquire. If you want to use that as an example, you should probably point to possible deals that can be available or have been available for Denver management. Otherwise it really doesn't fit into the context of this Denver team over the years.

Using hyperbole and 20/20 hindsight to aid your point is exactly what it means to be biased. It is the arguments used that baffle me and show bias. I can accept the sentiment that the grass may be greener for Carmelo elsewhere, but why the need to complicate it and bash Denver management? Also, then why the need to speak publicly about all this and strap the hands of management to get a good deal done? He can put pressure on management privately. The NBA is a business and that would be the professional way to respond.

1) I can give Afflalo, bt Harrington isn't reliable. That's rediculous. BTW, Jones is better defensively than Afflalo, at least that year.

2) You are right on Barnes, but regardless, Kobe and the FO went out to try and sign him and IMPROVE their team. Your mentioning of Kobe being a general manager doesn't help your argument.

3) My Cleveland example isn't laughable. They failed, but they at least tried. It was too late, unfortunately. BTW it was disaster because LeBron made it that way.

4) I understand what you're saying about Pau Gasol. But the Lakers searched for help instead of waiting for it to fall in their laps. Denver hit home on Chauncey that year, bt before that they shuld have known that Iverson would be a disaster. Kenyon Martin's injuries were his downfall.

pebloemer
12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
1) I can give Afflalo, bt Harrington isn't reliable. That's rediculous. BTW, Jones is better defensively than Afflalo, at least that year.

2) You are right on Barnes, but regardless, Kobe and the FO went out to try and sign him and IMPROVE their team. Your mentioning of Kobe being a general manager doesn't help your argument.

3) My Cleveland example isn't laughable. They failed, but they at least tried. It was too late, unfortunately. BTW it was disaster because LeBron made it that way.

4) I understand what you're saying about Pau Gasol. But the Lakers searched for help instead of waiting for it to fall in their laps. Denver hit home on Chauncey that year, bt before that they shuld have known that Iverson would be a disaster. Kenyon Martin's injuries were his downfall.

1) My point is that Harrington has been about as reliable as any of the alternatives mentioned (JO, Shaq, Barnes, Blake, Kleiza) that were mentioned. With the exception of a 4 game slump early November, Harrington has been quite consistent for them.

2) The Kobe comment may not help my argument, it was used more for to show the irony in your statement.

3) The assumption I am arguing is that Denver hasn't been trying. I think history proves they have.

4) Injuries as a whole have crippled Denver over the years. You can even stretch the term "injury" to the coach. But they came very close with the core around Melo. Now the business end of basketball needs to take over. I personally just wish so much of it stayed out of the public. It ends up hurting the GM's ability to bargain.

SteBO
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
1) My point is that Harrington has been about as reliable as any of the alternatives mentioned (JO, Shaq, Barnes, Blake, Kleiza) that were mentioned. With the exception of a 4 game slump early November, Harrington has been quite consistent for them.

2) The Kobe comment may not help my argument, it was used more for to show the irony in your statement.

3) The assumption I am arguing is that Denver hasn't been trying. I think history proves they have.

4) Injuries as a whole have crippled Denver over the years. You can even stretch the term "injury" to the coach. But they came very close with the core around Melo. Now the business end of basketball needs to take over. I personally just wish so much of it stayed out of the public. It ends up hurting the GM's ability to bargain.

OK. Glad we can come to agreement :clap:

OC Knights #11
12-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Carmelo is such a class act. Humble and selfless....god i wish i was like him. Screw him, James, Wade, Bosh, basically anyone that started playing in this selfish era of basketball.

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Dude, Dahntay is (/was) SOOOOoooooo NOT better than AA defensively, offensively, or in any way imaginable (except perhaps toughness).

SteBO
12-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Dude, Dahntay is (/was) SOOOOoooooo NOT better than AA defensively, offensively, or in any way imaginable (except perhaps toughness).
Yes, he is. Trust me, his toughness contributes to stingy defense. AA is way better offensively, though. I'd rather have afflalo because he's the better overall player.

DenButsu
12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes, he is. Trust me, his toughness contributes to stingy defense. AA is way better offensively, though. I'd rather have afflalo because he's the better overall player.

If you honestly think Dahntay was a better defender than Afflalo, then you haven't spent enough time watching either of them to understand how good or bad they are at it. It's really not even close.

Dahntay Jones 2008-09 (as SG):

PER: 10.0
Opponent PER: 19.0
Net: -9.0

Arron Afflalo 2009-10:

PER 12.2
Opponent PER: 14.7
Net: -2.5