PDA

View Full Version : Contenders and Pretenders

Gators123
12-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Who do you think are the Contenders and the Pretenders?

FlashTastic One
12-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Contenders
West: Lakers, Mavs, Spurs
East: Celtics, Magic, Heat

Cano4prez
12-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Contenders

This

greek miami hea
12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Contenders

yes

Hustlenomics
12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
contenders
celtics,magic,heat,lakers,spurs

pretenders
Twolves,Pistons,Kings,Nets etc.

Khalifa21
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Contenders

This.

Kashmir13579
12-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Contenders

+1

pretenders = everybody else

Avenged
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I wanted to add the Bulls as well, but as of right now and most likely this season, no.

Hopefully they can be contenders by next season though.

Hawkeye15
12-18-2010, 06:01 PM
contenders

pretenders

I think pretenders means teams that some may view as contenders, but probably aren't.

ElMarroAfamado
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Contenders
West: Lakers, Thunder
East: Celtics, Magic

Pretenders
West: Mavs, Spurs
East: Heat

Furymaker
12-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I wanted to add the Bulls as well, but as of right now and most likely this season, no.

Hopefully they can be contenders by next season though.

if they pull trade or two they will be contenders , right now they are not , probably because Noah is injured and Bogans as SG :facepalm:

Avenged
12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
if they pull trade or two they will be contenders , right now they are not , probably because Noah is injured and Bogans as SG :facepalm:

Yeah, Bogans really sets them back a bit.. I think they're good enough to put a scare and upset any of the top 3 teams out East.. But they aren't good enough to win it all.

210Don
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Contenders

Pretenders

lol have you watched this year the thunder are pretenders

Furymaker
12-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, Bogans really sets them back a bit.. I think they're good enough to put a scare and upset any of the top 3 teams out East.. But they aren't good enough to win it all.

I'm feeling the same way .

Contenders : Celtics , Heat , Lakers , Spurs .
Pretenders : Bulls , Mavs .
it's my opinion , am not thinking Dallas is good enough to win it all :eyebrow:

BIG worm
12-18-2010, 06:45 PM
ditto....bulls f.o. never does ****!

hestar
12-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Contenders

Pretenders

Seems you hate the heat and LBJ alot..Enjoy watching the heat in the Nba finals this year ;).

beasted86
12-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Seems you hate the heat and LBJ alot..Enjoy watching the heat in the Nba finals this year ;).

Wurd. :cool:

_KB24_
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Contenders: LA, Spurs, and Boston

Those are the only three I think that could go into a series head-to-head and their not be a clear favorite. I have Boston penciled in coming out of the East as of now because the Heat still are much to weak and fragile in the front-court, and Orlando just had some major swaps and I'm curious to see how they pan out. They finally have a closer they always lacked in Gilbert and retain Hedo who was a HUGE reason why they made it to the Finals a couple years back.

Evolution23
12-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Contenders

Pretenders

How can you rule out the Spurs? They have championship experience and are playing extremely well.

JordansBulls
12-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Contenders

This unless Chicago can get a decent SG.

210Don
12-18-2010, 07:46 PM
This unless Chicago can get a decent SG.

you know if they can get another sg it be great but man they are good now

Giraffes Rule
12-18-2010, 07:51 PM
How can you rule out the Spurs? They have championship experience and are playing extremely well.

He's a massive Spurs hater, he doesn't have any real reasons.

Contenders: Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs
Pretenders: Knicks, Heat, Thunder, Bulls (If they get a good SG, they're my choice from the East)

I can't say where Orlando fits after the trades. I would say before, they were pretenders.

DoJoTheSlasher
12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
How anyone can call the Heat contenders.....

Mavs pull the same stuff yearin year out but this year is different. For the first time in a million years we are a top 5 defensive team in the NBA, maybe top 3. Chandler is the key and has made us a team who can defend anyone. Dirk will beast up in the playoffs no matter what and for some reason Caron Butler looks like he has it going for him this year. Marion and Chandler both know their roles as defensive anchors who pitch in points as well. Kidd and Terry hit 3's and Terry is the 4th quarter guy (along with Dirk). ROle players such as Stevenson, Mahinmi and Barea can step up and Stevenson is a VERY important role player. All this and Haywood still might step his game up. If he does, he is the best backup big in the game but we have to see. Roddy Beaubois who is our X factor hasn't played a game yet. He can score 20 on any given night and him, Dirk and Chandler will be our important 3 guys come playoff time. Butler, Kidd, Terry and Marion will be our next group that needs to maintian their play.

Baller1
12-18-2010, 09:02 PM
So much hate for the Jazz, Heat, and Thunder.

210Don
12-18-2010, 09:17 PM
How anyone can call the Heat contenders.....

Mavs pull the same stuff yearin year out but this year is different. For the first time in a million years we are a top 5 defensive team in the NBA, maybe top 3. Chandler is the key and has made us a team who can defend anyone. Dirk will beast up in the playoffs no matter what and for some reason Caron Butler looks like he has it going for him this year. Marion and Chandler both know their roles as defensive anchors who pitch in points as well. Kidd and Terry hit 3's and Terry is the 4th quarter guy (along with Dirk). ROle players such as Stevenson, Mahinmi and Barea can step up and Stevenson is a VERY important role player. All this and Haywood still might step his game up. If he does, he is the best backup big in the game but we have to see. Roddy Beaubois who is our X factor hasn't played a game yet. He can score 20 on any given night and him, Dirk and Chandler will be our important 3 guys come playoff time. Butler, Kidd, Terry and Marion will be our next group that needs to maintian their play.

a zebra doesn't change its stripes as long as dirk is there come playoff time they will revert to their old ways. what can you do not your fault. they cant stop any guards to be honest.

Pack_Attack6
12-18-2010, 09:19 PM
How can the Heat not be considered contenders? LeBron by himself in Cleveland was a contender. so add in some talent and hes not a contender? give me a break. Come playoff time Joel Anthony is gonna be a dominant post defender we saw what he could do against Amare last night. I think the problem for them is gonna be a great PG like Rondo who can get into the lane and cause problems. So Boston is the team that concerns me but to say they won't contend is ridiculous.

AirCanada15ORL
12-18-2010, 09:29 PM
EAST Contenders: Celtics Heat
WEST Contenders: Lakers Spurs

Pretenders: Magic, Mavs

I'm being picky. And yes I thought Magic were pretenders before my boy got traded away today. Magic have the talent..did last year too. but they dont have what it takes.
Mavs I'm sorry, they could go 70 wins and still be pretenders to me..or get knocked out in the first round by like Golden state or some team like that..this team doesnt have the championship edge either. Like them both tho.

eXpLiiCt
12-18-2010, 09:35 PM
contenders

pretenders

... Pretenders are teams that are doing good but eventaully will implode... or your saying they suck and will do good later?

eXpLiiCt
12-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Contenders - Heat , Lakers , Magic

Pretenders - Spurs , Mavs , Knicks

krest213
12-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Contenders

Pretenders

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/bekkiglittz/GIFs/XFactor/98185c8a.gif

Duncan = Donkey
12-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Contenders: Lakers, Spurs
Pretenders: Mavs, Thunder

Contenders: Celtics, Heat
Pretenders: Magic

Giraffes Rule
12-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Contenders - Heat , Lakers , Magic

Pretenders - Spurs , Mavs , Knicks

Lol how do you have the Magic on your contenders when they just blew up their team today? And where are the Celtics?

Baller1
12-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Contenders: Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs
Pretenders: Mavs, Magic, Hawks
On The Fence: Thunder, Bulls, Jazz

Evolution23
12-18-2010, 11:19 PM
He's a massive Spurs hater, he doesn't have any real reasons.

Contenders: Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs
Pretenders: Knicks, Heat, Thunder, Bulls (If they get a good SG, they're my choice from the East)

I can't say where Orlando fits after the trades. I would say before, they were pretenders.

Knicks were never contenders so they can't be pretenders.

drobe86
12-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Contenders : Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Jazz
Celtics, Heat,

Pretenders: Bulls, Knicks, Magic, Thunder

DetroitBadBoy
12-19-2010, 04:49 AM
lol Dirk and the Mavs will never win a championship. He shouldn't have resigned.

Raph12
12-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Contenders: Lakers and Celtics - Teams that are proven winners, favs of their respective conferences
Pretenders: Mavs, Thunder, Bulls and Knicks - Good regular season teams, but struggle in the postseason
Question Marks: Magic, Heat and Spurs - Teams that have played well at times, but are still unproven

MikefromMars
12-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Contenders
West: Lakers, Jazz, Spurs
East: Celtics, Heat, Bulls

Pretenders
Magic- They just blew up their roster and I don't see how they are going to cover the big SF they are going to play against (Pierce, Lebron). I don't see them making it out of the East...no chance.

Mavs- I know they put together a win streak, but every year they string together a good regular season just to be outmatched in the playoffs. Unless they make some roster moves, they're strictly pretenders. I'm sure Dallas fans will say otherwise, but anyone who follows Dallas sports knows that city is either cursed or experts at the choke.

Baller1
12-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Contenders: Lakers and Celtics - Teams that are proven winners, favs of their respective conferences
Pretenders: Mavs, Thunder, Bulls and Knicks - Good regular season teams, but struggle in the postseason
Question Marks: Magic, Heat and Spurs - Teams that have played well at times, but are still unproven

How do the Thunder and Knicks struggle in the postseason? They haven't even had a fair chance to prove themselves.

And how are the Spurs unproven?

Hawkeye15
12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
How do the Thunder and Knicks struggle in the postseason? They haven't even had a fair chance to prove themselves.

And how are the Spurs unproven?

I was thinking something similar. If OKC is a team that "struggles" in the playoffs, after only being there once, then hasn't every team in the NBA had playoff struggles the last 2 seasons, seeing as the champs are the ones who knocked OKC out?

sacramentosking
12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
haha contender la spurs dallas
boston miami orlando

pretenders suns, okc hawks new york chicago denver..

WadeCounty
12-19-2010, 01:51 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/bekkiglittz/GIFs/XFactor/98185c8a.gif

your sig pic of the whole spurs team is pretty scary... A LOT of big bodies

Heater4life
12-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Contenders

Pretenders

When any team leads the league in defensive PPG allowed, defensive FG %, and defensive 3-pt % i think its safe to say that there a gifted an highly competitive team. Add in the offensive capabilities of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh and weigh in the fact that their on a 12 game win streak playing cohesive basketball without two of their major pieces Miller and Haslem to provide a decent bench.

Id say they can be considered a contender.

blueplanet
12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
West: Lakers and Spurs.
East: Heat and Celtics.

javsvt
12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
I love how people are picking the Knicks as pretenders, they just started playing together and haven't been in the playoffs in years. Knicks were never picked to go to the finals, or even the playoffs for that matter.
Contenders: Spurs, Boston, Lakers
Pretenders: Heat, Magic, Mavs

Chacarron
12-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Heat.

SteBO
12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Here are mine.....

Contenders: Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs, Mavs(I know that Dallas hasn't had much playoff success, but this is first Dallas team that has real size and can play some D)

Pretenders: Magic(No perimeter D), Hawks, Bulls(Can become contender with quality 2-guard), Thunder(Defense from last year disappeared), Knicks

TylerSL
12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
anybody who says the Heat are pretenders are either A.Haters B.Idiots or C.Both. Because the Heat are on a 12 game winning streak while having their top 2 bench players out. They are also #1 in Opponents PPG, #1 in Opponents FG%, and #1 in Opponents 3 point%. They also have the offensive fire power with Lebron, Bosh, and Wade. They are #1 in defense, and have a great offense with those 3 players. They are definatly serious contenders. The only team in the East that really scares me is Boston. IMO the only teams that can contend with us is Boston, LA, SA, and Dallas....

TylerSL
12-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Contenders-Boston, LA, SA, Dallas, Miami
Pretenders-Orlando, OKC, New York, Milwaukee, Chicago, Atlanta

FaM0us Skins
12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
no way the Knicks are pretenders they haven't been a contender in years

TylerSL
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
no way the Knicks are pretenders they haven't been a contender in years

remember how bad they were hyped up during their 8 game winning streak? ESPN acted as if they a top 3 team in the East. So yes, they are pretenders....

1_Bulls_1
12-19-2010, 08:40 PM
EAST

Contenders: Celtics, Magic(pretender before the trade), Heat, Bulls
Pretenders: Hawks, Knicks

WEST
Contenders: Lakers, Mavs, Spurs
Pretenders: Jazz, Nuggets, Blazers, Hornets

Giraffes Rule
12-19-2010, 09:08 PM
remember how bad they were hyped up during their 8 game winning streak? ESPN acted as if they a top 3 team in the East. So yes, they are pretenders....

That's pretty much the only reason I mentioned them. They beat up weak teams and all of a sudden the Knicks are back OMG.

TylerSL
12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
That's pretty much the only reason I mentioned them. They beat up weak teams and all of a sudden the Knicks are back OMG.

this, its because ESPN has to hype up all New York, Boston, and LA teams...... :pity:

omdigga
12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
contenders: lakers, spurs, celtics, heat, mavs, magic ..
pretenders: everyone else

SteBO
12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I love how people are picking the Knicks as pretenders, they just started playing together and haven't been in the playoffs in years. Knicks were never picked to go to the finals, or even the playoffs for that matter.
Contenders: Spurs, Boston, Lakers
Pretenders: Heat, Magic, Mavs

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

xbrackattackx
12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Lakers,Mavs,Spurs

Heat,Boston,Orlando

Drewlius
12-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Contenders - Celtics, Spurs, Lakers, Mavericks

SteBO
12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
contenders - celtics, spurs, lakers, mavericks

and?

Tony_Starks
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Contenders:

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs
Orlando (based largely on Arenas playoff clutch play in the past)

all teams that are very comfortable, well coached and built for the playoffs
Pretenders:

Dallas
Utah

Will have nice regular seasons but without home court advantage no way they can win the west.

Unknown

Miami- I really can't say either way. They're on a win streak but mostly against no comp. Probably won't know until allstar break.

HiphopRelated
12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Contenders:

Lakers
Celtics
Spurs
Orlando (based largely on Arenas playoff clutch play in the past)

all teams that are very comfortable, well coached and built for the playoffs
Pretenders:

Dallas
Utah

Will have nice regular seasons but without home court advantage no way they can win the west.

Unknown

Miami- I really can't say either way. They're on a win streak but mostly against no comp. Probably won't know until allstar break.
your reason for including the Magic is funny to me

Last time Arenas faced Wade in the playoffs, he was swept with Shaq watching in a suit.

and we know one whisper at the line from Lebron was enough

astrotown
12-20-2010, 03:35 PM
East
Contenders: Boston, Miami, Orlando, Chicago
Pretenders: Atlanta, New York
West
Contenders: Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, OKC, Utah
Pretenders: New Orleans, Denver, Portland

javsvt
12-21-2010, 12:31 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: