PDA

View Full Version : Does Roy's whining/excuses make him any less of a player?

Chronz
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/22828/roy-looking-for-better-fit-than-miller

Do you allow his opinion on the game affect what you think of him as a player? Is he a quitter for saying couldnt work alongside another player? One who quite easily, is having the superior year.

Itís no secret that playing alongside Andre Miller frustrates Brandon Roy. Miller keeps Roy from handling the ball as much as he wants and doesnít spread the floor enough for Royís liking.

After Mondayís loss to Memphis, Roy all but blamed his struggles this season on Miller, saying ďI wasn't that slow until you put a guy who is kind of slow next to me. I've always been kind of slow. Not to be controversial at all, but I was slow my rookie year, and now it's ....

While Roy did not issue a trade demand or request, Iím told he said something to this effect:

This is not going to work, so you should trade one of us. Whether itís him or whether itís me, somebody needs to be traded because this is not going to work.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
saying it publically? Yep, I don't like it. Roy is killing his trade value by the day.

Cool007
12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I have been losing respect for Roy for a while but this is the last straw.

Miller is making him slow??? Really??? Nothing to do with your knees???

The sad part is that no team would trade for him either - knowing that his bad knees and now bad attitude.

I am sorry but Roy, you disappoint.

Hawkeye15
12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I have been losing respect for Roy for a while but this is the last straw.

Miller is making him slow??? Really??? Nothing to do with your knees???

The sad part is that no team would trade for him either - knowing that his bad knees and now bad attitude.

I am sorry but Roy, you disappoint.

not to mention he just entered his 1st year of a 5/$83 million deal.

whitemamba33
12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not a drama queen. I couldn't care less about what a player says. It all goes down on the floor. If you shove microphones into a man's face long enough then some things are going to be said.

And a HUGE facepalm to you sir for picking Magic Johnson of all players to say "would never have done that". Magic was feuding with his coach in only his second season in the league, and went so far as to demand a trade if the coach wasn't removed.

If there is a way to edit the options in polls, you should probably do that.

Chronz
12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
saying it publically? Yep, I don't like it. Roy is killing his trade value by the day.
Im talking morally, even if he had never said a word of this to anyone, would it be something worth holding against him?

PhillyFaninLA
12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
He's a whiney bi....does TO, OchoCinco, Randy Moss, or Lebron lesser in game competitors because of there personalities.

They are 2 completely seperate issues.

Its like saying he's a good basketball player but can he make a good grilled cheese.

DLeeicious
12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Fast don't lie Roy, get some Adidas my man.

And yes, this is terrible to read, especially from a guy who a few years ago I would have said is one of the class acts of the league and very mature for his age. It's clear that he has let his struggles get to him and Miller is the scapegoat. I feel bad for Portland.

Chronz
I'm not a drama queen. I couldn't care less about what a player says. It all goes down on the floor. If you shove microphones into a man's face long enough then some things are going to be said.

If there is a way to edit the options in polls, you should probably do that.
Edit your post to write that bit off, your going to kill the point of it for me

Draco
And a HUGE facepalm to you sir for picking Magic Johnson of all players to say "would never have done that". Magic was feuding with his coach in only his second season in the league, and went so far as to demand a trade if the coach wasn't removed.

YES, Derrick Rose would never do this ;)

Chronz
12-17-2010, 02:29 PM
**** you guys are killing it

Rivera
12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
well i know a team down in florida who can run up n down the floor....they also spread the floor and shoot a lot of 3s (not the heat lol)....that team is missing a go to scorer down the strech as well

if only his knees werent ****ed

i would trade carter for roy....but i may want a 1st round pick or 2 just because of his knee issues

Hawkeye15
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Im talking morally, even if he had never said a word of this to anyone, would it be something worth holding against him?

nah. The dude is frustrated about his health, and the fact that his team is suffering so bad. I don't think he should have said it, but things get said in frustration sometimes

ttam68
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Wth does this have to do with Magic?

But, yes. At a time like this when you're playing poorly and injuries might absolutely devastate the franchise that owes you $80 million you don't whine about teammates.

Sadds The Gr8
12-17-2010, 02:46 PM
wow i thought he was a classy guy. This is pretty gay of him to say.

whitemamba33
12-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Edit your post to write that bit off, your going to kill the point of it for me

lol I won't edit..but I voted for Magic in the poll.

jim51990
12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
excuse have nothing to do with it. injuries have made him nothing more then a average player even when he is "healthy"

zn23
12-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Even in his "best" years, he was far from elite talent. This maneuver is just going to hurt him down the line. He was a good player that now is turning into an awful player, his Ts% is getting worse every year. To top it all off he is calling teammates out that are doing a lot more for the team than he is...

So yes the excuses do make him less of a player.

DaBUU
12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
didnt Portland just sign him long term for big money?

thekmp211
12-17-2010, 04:42 PM
before this info on his knee came out he probably had a point. but, now...it's just more proof that the guy is falling apart physically. his mind can't rationalize how his body has changed and so the excuses and finger-pointing starts.

didn't think he was that type, but understand that the guy is pretty much staring the end of his career in the face.

D Roses Bulls
12-17-2010, 04:44 PM
If you have been paying attention this season, then you would have noticed that the Portland Trail Blazers have started the season with a 12-14 record. Needless to say, they aren’t playing as well as we all assumed they would.

According to ESPN‘s NBA Insider Chris Broussard, Blazers franchise player, Brandon Roy has asked the Blazers front office for a trade. He wants them to either trade his talents or what’s left of veteran point guard, Andre Miller’s.

After Monday’s loss to Memphis, Roy all but blamed his struggles this season on Miller, saying “I wasn’t that slow until you put a guy who is kind of slow next to me. I’ve always been kind of slow. Not to be controversial at all, but I was slow my rookie year, and now it’s …”

Roy, who’s lacked the explosiveness we’ve seen from him in the past, apologized for his comments two days later, but his frustration remains — and Wednesday’s four-point performance in another L at Dallas certainly didn’t improve his mindset.

But is Roy frustrated enough to leave Portland?

Depends on who you ask.

One plugged-in person with knowledge of Portland’s inner workings told me Roy spoke with Blazers management less than two weeks ago about the need for Miller and him to part ways. While Roy did not issue a trade demand or request, I’m told he said something to this effect:

This is not going to work, so you should trade one of us. Whether it’s him or whether it’s me, somebody needs to be traded because this is not going to work.

Portland general manager Rich Cho, as well as Roy’s agent, Bob Myers, denied that such a discussion ever happened.

“It’s not true,’’ Cho said on Thursday.

If there’s any truth to this rumor, we all know who Portland will look to trade. There’s no way they’re going to trade their young All-Star/franchise player. Andre Miller, and his veteran(slow) skill set would definitely be sent packing.

In his article, Chris Broussard also mentioned that Roy wants to handle the ball more so he can play more like Dwyane Wade or Kobe Bryant instead of sitting back and watching Miller dominate the ball. If the team doesn’t handle this situation carefully, this could get ugly real quick.

http://balljunkie.com/2010/12/17/rumor-brandon-roy-tells-blazers-%E2%80%9Ctrade-me-or-andre-miller%E2%80%9D/

http://www.onlinebasketballbetting.net/report-brandon-roy-asks-blazers-to-trade-him-or-miller/

Knicks Fire Dog
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Wow...but Roy has an ugly contract plus his knees give him constant pain and I heard there are no more surgieries to be done except microscopic or something to that effect. I could be wrong, anyone know the deal with his knees and is he going to be worth a trade?

Sly Guy
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I for one, would cut him a little slack. Dude is bound to lash out while his body falls apart underneath him. It's gotta be killing him inside knowing what a competitor he is and have things deteriorate so quickly.

Carey
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM
If true it basically says trade Miller because nobody will take on that contract with the knee issues he has even tho he's a fantastic player, i know he knows that.

goblazers7
12-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I like what Roy is doing. A lot of you don't watch the blazers on a regular basis. I would love to see Brandon Roy play with a guy like Rodney stuckey/Raymond Felton who are both fast and would push us up tempo. We have a bunch of athletic guys like aldridge,batum,Matthews,Rudy, and camby. Andre Is done in Portland. And is years away from being done with the NBA

Sadds The Gr8
12-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Chronz already made this thread.

DoMeFavors
12-17-2010, 04:59 PM
as a net fan I would take him anyday

0nekhmer
12-17-2010, 05:00 PM
how the hell does another PG make you slower? if he means andre doesn't push the ball enough or runs enough, then yeah in a way roy is slower.

Gators123
12-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Magic should trade for him

masalex1205
12-17-2010, 05:06 PM
not sure if anybody woudl actually take on his contract (aside from people on PSD who think they're a GM)

Sixxpack
12-17-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't care who the player is, if you are on a horribly underachieving team, year after year you're gonna be frustrated, no one can keep that bottled up forever/......

sep11ie
12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
He'll be like McGrady soon.

Chronz
12-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Wth does this have to do with Magic?

But, yes. At a time like this when you're playing poorly and injuries might absolutely devastate the franchise that owes you $80 million you don't whine about teammates.

Magic ousted his teams PG much the same way

Sactown
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
I can't hate on the guy for his complaints and I'll tell you why. He's been struggling with injuries and fears he will no longer perform at the level he use to.. he also probably realizes playing on his knees the way he does is going to cripple him for life.. along with the losing the guy is frustrated. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an apology to Andre whether it be public or not.

faze38
12-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Give it time he will just like all the good players do when things aren't going their way! So No it doesn't make me lose respect it happens all the time some times players do it to get better players around them. I mean it's a common tactic used by players so people shouldn't be so surprised!

Missing56&33
12-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Brandon Roy let Andre Miller take his job. :pity:

John Walls Era
12-17-2010, 05:55 PM
No it doesn't make him less of a player. I don't want to be mean: but it makes him less of a MAN.