PDA

View Full Version : Why we view the Cliff Lee and LeBron James decisions differently

AlexTmz2
12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
By: Duk'
Yahoo Sports

In the time that has passed since Cliff Lee(notes) spurned his two main suitors to return to the Philadelphia Phillies, more than a few people have asked the question: What makes the ace pitcher's free agency story so different from the one written by LeBron James?

TrueHoop's Henry Abbott wrote about it. So did Philly2Philly. It was reportedly a topic on Philadelphia talk radio on Tuesday afternoon and there were more than a few references to the similarities on Twitter. Maybe someone at your office wanted to know why Lee is viewed as a hero for taking less money than his old team (and others) were offering to go play with his pals while LeBron was transformed into sports' biggest villain for doing the same.

Of course, the obvious answer is the best one in this situation.

With Lee, his decision wasn't rammed and crammed down our throats for more than a year by ESPN. He didn't consent to a gigantic television special, didn't wear a weird picnic-table shirt and didn't engage in ridiculous banter with Jim Gray before saying something dumb like "I'm going to take my talents to Reading Terminal."

More importantly, he didn't go through the whole charade while knowing that the choice of his next team wasn't going to be swayed and he also wasn't leaving behind a team where he had played for years.
(LeBron played 619 total games over seven seasons with a Cleveland Cavaliers team he grew up 30 miles away from while Lee made 20 starts over the span of a couple months for what was his fourth team in two seasons.)
Add the sea change difference in the sports' dynamics — a NBA franchise is crippled with the departure of one star player, but that isn't the case in baseball — and it's easy to answer before getting dragged into the question's very visible subtext of race.

If I may go a bit deeper, though, I also think the difference in our reactions are heavily dictated by how the player's decisions affected the storylines we selfishly want to see as sports fans.

Personally, I felt disappointment with LeBron's decision because I had become invested in watching him eventually help lift Cleveland to its first sports title since 1964. I have no real ties to that area, but it was one of the themes compelling enough to get me to watch the NBA — something I normally don't do.

Would the national reception for LeBron have been different had he bolted Cleveland for the New York Knicks or Chicago Bulls? I believe it would have been as watching him try to resurrect the basketball experience at Madison Square Garden or follow in Michael Jordan's footsteps would also have been a worthwhile experience for me as a casual consumer.

Needless to say, we don't view his decision to pursue the easy path to a title with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh — in a city with few diehard fans and very little basketball history — in the same way. Our disappointment with losing the storylines we preferred has resulted in us creating a juicy storyline we can live with — Miami Heat, universally hated team.

As for Lee, he basically just did the opposite of what LeBron did. Instead of easily signing with the Miami Heat of baseball (the New York Yankees) or a team most of the nation is generally apathetic toward (the Texas Rangers), Lee manufactured one of 2011's best plots by heading to Philly where he and three others will try and form one of the best rotations of all time. Unless you're a Yankees fan or a hitter in the NL East, that's something you can look forward to watching next season.

Whether it's fair or not, our perceptions of Cliff Lee and LeBron James are just as much about us as it is about them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-we-view-the-Cliff-Lee-and-LeBron-James-decis;_ylt=AujLvCpOA_2aRO5NLjGj9sAHU84F?urn=mlb-295980

AlexTmz2
12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Thought this was a nice article. Check it out.

ewing
12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
he really should have stopped after this:

"With Lee, his decision wasn't rammed and crammed down our throats for more than a year by ESPN. He didn't consent to a gigantic television special, didn't wear a weird picnic-table shirt and didn't engage in ridiculous banter with Jim Gray before saying something dumb like "I'm going to take my talents to Reading Terminal."

More importantly, he didn't go through the whole charade while knowing that the choice of his next team wasn't going to be swayed and he also wasn't leaving behind a team where he had played for years."

Byronicle
12-15-2010, 02:36 PM
cliff lee? who's that?

its because of the media and lebron agreeing to do this stupid things to fuel drama

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Because he wasn't named Alex Rodriguez or Barry Bonds.

Oh and the whole taking the talents to south beach thing as well among a million other things.

Slimsim
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
The Decision was Exciting. Everyone watched.

Sly Guy
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM

no, it wasn't. And no, I didn't. SVG summed it up best, he got an hour long show to say something he could have said in 15 seconds.

Good on Cliff Lee. LeBron should take notes, it's not always what you say, it's how you say it.

iggypop123
12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
lee wasnt born in texas

beasted86
12-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Actually the big difference is LeBron is a brand, he's a media mogul that has been crammed down our throat for the past 7 years as the chosen one and "King" by Nike, ESPN, Gatorade, and all other sports related advertising. He's a two time MVP and 6 time all-star.

Cliff Lee by comparison is a nobody. Literally, nobody outside of hardcore baseball fans even knew who this guy was outside of the past 6 months. Guy has only been to 2 all-star games, has only realistically been in CY award running a handful of times. He's a nobody in the general scheme of things.

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Cliff Lee by comparison is a nobody. Literally, nobody outside of hardcore baseball fans even knew who this guy was outside of the past 6 months. Guy has only been to 2 all-star games, has only realistically been in CY award running a handful of times. He's a nobody in the general scheme of things.
Cliff Lee won the Cy Young like 3 years ago, pretty sure most people know who he is. This "nobody" has the same amount of rings as your "King". Lebron has only won a couple MVPs, that's all. He's a nobody in the general scheme of NBA history.

whitemamba33
12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I just made the decision to take a crap instead of show up to work on time...why don't you guys talk about that for 6 months straight?

beasted86
12-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Lebron has only won a couple MVPs. He's a nobody in the general scheme on NBA history.

Why does it seem you are maddened by my statement. You know it's the truth. Cliff Lee has no advertising, he's probably not even regarded as a top 1000 talent in the history of baseball, while LeBron is undoubtedly in everybody's top 100. There is no real comparing the two. Non basketball fans know who LeBron James is or have heard the name. Go ask a random girl on the street or in a college class if she knows who LeBron James is and who Cliff Lee is.... matter of fact, just ask them what sport they play.

This topic's original article is kind of like asking why Jason Kidd was more vilified for beating on his wife than Matt Barnes was.

BcEuAbRsS
12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Cliff Lee won the Cy Young like 3 years ago, pretty sure most people know who he is. This "nobody" has the same amount of rings as your "King". Lebron has only won a couple MVPs, that's all. He's a nobody in the general scheme of NBA history.

This x 100000000

JordansBulls
12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Because Cliff Lee doesn't play basketball.

beasted86
12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
This "nobody" has the same amount of rings as your "King".

:ouch: you hurt my feelings....

No but seriously, you are taking this personal as though I think he's the king or he's my favorite player now just because he's on the Heat. I hated the media backing of LeBron as much as anyone else, I even hate it now that when Wade has a great game, LeBron is still the headline on ESPN.

But I and you should just accept LeBron is a rockstar in basketball, sports in general, and advertising. He's a way bigger headline and story than Cliff Lee ever will be.

BcEuAbRsS
12-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Why does it seem you are maddened by my statement. You know it's the truth. Cliff Lee has no advertising, he's probably not even regarded as a top 1000 talent in the history of baseball, while LeBron is undoubtedly in everybody's top 100. There is no real comparing the two. Non basketball fans know who LeBron James is or have heard the name. Go ask a random girl on the street or in a college class if she knows who LeBron James is and who Cliff Lee is.... matter of fact, just ask them what sport they play.

This topic's original article is kind of like asking why Jason Kidd was more vilified for beating on his wife than Matt Barnes was.

There are vast differences in the Cliff Lee and Lebron James free agent decisions... fame aside, if u in anyway think that they compare u sir are a fool...

Cliff Lee was traded twice last year... he didn't have a full year with the Rangers... he actually has no affiliation with the state of Texas other than a couple months of baseball... He chose between Ranger, Phillies, and Yankees... all pretty good teams...

Lebron James was associated with Ohio his entire life and career... how did the Cavs find out he was leaving? The same way u and I did, with a lot of class... Lebron went to miami to chase rings and chicks with nice *****... Lebron quit on his team last year then didn't even give them the respect of telling them he was leaving...

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
:ouch: you hurt my feelings....

No but seriously, you are taking this personal as though I think he's the king or he's my favorite player now just because he's on the Heat. I hated the media backing of LeBron as much as anyone else, I even hate it now that when Wade has a great game, LeBron is still the headline on ESPN.

But I and you should just accept LeBron is a rockstar in basketball, sports in general, and advertising. He's a way bigger headline and story than Cliff Lee ever will be.

Na it's because it has NOTHING to do with popularity. I love LeBron as a player. You're arguing that all the backlash is because he's popular and a brand, mogul etc. The ONLY reason people hate LeBron is because of "the decision". It was a d*** move. That's all. Nothing against you, Heat fans, or LeBron. It's just everyone hates him because of the show and his failure to realize it was a d*** move.

Forte22
12-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Am I missing something here? Cliff Lee was born in ARKANSAS....not Texas, why is everyone comparing this to James?

Jonathan2323
12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Na it's because it has NOTHING to do with popularity. I love LeBron as a player. You're arguing that all the backlash is because he's popular and a brand, mogul etc. The ONLY reason people hate LeBron is because of the decision. It was a d*** move. That's all.

Reasons why people hate LeBron

1)He didn't go to your team

2)The way he made the decision
3)Celebration party after they got all 3.
4)The HEAT formed a dynasty type team and people want to see them fail
5) people think they made this decision 3 years ago

Cliff Lee Who? He's not a household name, but that has nothing to do with it.

beasted86
12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Na it's because it has NOTHING to do with popularity. I love LeBron as a player. You're arguing that all the backlash is because he's popular and a brand, mogul etc. The ONLY reason people hate LeBron is because of "the decision". It was a d*** move. That's all. Nothing against you, Heat fans, or LeBron. It's just everyone hates him because of the show and his failure to realize it was a d*** move.

Well I guess that's the difference in opinion. You think the the backlash was worse because it was a worse thing he did.

I think the backlash was worse because there was simply MORE of a backlash. Everyone and their grandma had an opinion on where LeBron should sign before the decision, and similarly everyone and their grandma had a take on whether his decision and how he went about it was right or wrong.

People who had talk shows or twitter accounts or blogs or any source of giving out their opinions were giving out their opinions whether they followed sports or not, or whether their talk show, radio show, or whatever was sports related or not. It was just a bigger story and that's why there was more people who cared about what team he signed with.

Even to this very second, barely anyone supporting it/against it cares really about where Cliff Lee signed other than baseball or sports related media outlets. Think about it this way also, there were fan bases of basically 3 teams who wanted/had a shot at Cliff Lee (Yankees, Phillies, Rangers). There was conversely 7 different fan bases who wanted/had a shot at LeBron and may/may not have been spurned (Knicks, Nets, Bulls, Cavs, Clippers, Mavericks, Heat).

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Well I guess that's the difference in opinion. You think the the backlash was worse because it was a worse thing he did.

I think the backlash was worse because there was simply MORE of a backlash. Everyone and their grandma had an opinion on where LeBron should sign before the decision, and similarly everyone and their grandma had a take on whether his decision and how he went about it was right or wrong.

People who had talk shows or twitter accounts or blogs or any source of giving out their opinions were giving out their opinions whether they followed sports or not, or whether their talk show, radio show, or whatever was sports related or not. It was just a bigger story and that's why there was more people who cared about what team he signed with.

Even to this very second, barely anyone good or bad cares really about where Cliff Lee signed other than baseball or sports related media outlets.

Partially because of all the hype and the fact that he had a primetime show to announce his decision.

NYKNYGNYY
12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
what is this a race thing...okay heres why its different:
1. Lebron James is the face of the sport next to kobe
2. Lebron had his own show on where he was gonna go basically
3. Lebron was Cleveland made

in my opinion...**** em both!

beasted86
12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Partially because of all the hype and the fact that he had a primetime show to announce his decision.

Do you really think anyone who doesn't follow sports would automagically tune into ESPN at 8 PM? More people cared or were interested in finding out where he signed. It was a bigger story and I think that's mainly why there was more backlash.

But I honestly don't feel either LeBron or Lee did any bad at all. I really don't know why anyone would have any negative backlash because of what a player does during free agency. The only guys that deserve a negative backlash are the guys who force trades while under contract.

Shareeb_omac2
12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
LeBron James
-Supposed to be a rival to "greatest ever"
-Had secret meetings with Wade and Bosh to scheme their way to a championship(All three signed at the same time)
-Made the "decision" a spectacle and thought it would be a marvelous thing.
-Had a little dance performance to rub it into the peoples faces that already were pissed off at him
-Talked about winning 7 championships before even playing a game with the Heat

Cliff Lee
-A great pitcher but not really considered an all time great
-Made the decision based on family and HE HAS ALREADY PLAYED ON THE PHILLIES BEFORE(and he was also the lone signing)
-Made his decision behind closed doors without the running to the media
-Even after his decision went public he has barely talked to about it publically
-Has kept his mouth fairly quite since

No comparison

Shareeb_omac2
12-15-2010, 04:00 PM
If Cliff Lee would have called Werth, Crawford, and Gonzales to agree upon signing on one team... Then, announced his decision live on T.V.(awkwardly)... Then, come on stage with his fellow signings to do the dougie... Then, announce they were going to win 7 championships...

I would hate him too.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Its because Cliff Lee did what was best for his family, and wasn't a jerk about it.

Lebron just did what made it easiest for him to win, and was a complete ******* about the entire thing.

Plus, in baseball its quite common for big named players to switch teams. Cliff Lee leaving doesn't kill the Rangers for the next ten years, Lebron leaving does... and Lebron did it to his home, where he grew up and where he played 7 seasons. He was worshipped in Cleveland.

He could of at the very least done it with some respect towards the city. Instead he **** all over them on the way out.

Kenny Powders
12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Actually the big difference is LeBron is a brand, he's a media mogul that has been crammed down our throat for the past 7 years as the chosen one and "King" by Nike, ESPN, Gatorade, and all other sports related advertising. He's a two time MVP and 6 time all-star.

Did he not give him self that self proclaimed title?

Unruly Fan
12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
"As for Lee, he basically just did the opposite of what LeBron did. Instead of easily signing with the Miami Heat of baseball (the New York Yankees) or a team most of the nation is generally apathetic toward (the Texas Rangers), Lee manufactured one of 2011's best plots by heading to Philly where he and three others will try and form one of the best rotations of all time. Unless you're a Yankees fan or a hitter in the NL East, that's something you can look forward to watching next season."

hmmm....

Jonathan2323
12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Its because Cliff Lee did what was best for his family, and wasn't a jerk about it.

Lebron just did what made it easiest for him to win, and was a complete ******* about the entire thing.

Plus, in baseball its quite common for big named players to switch teams. Cliff Lee leaving doesn't kill the Rangers for the next ten years, Lebron leaving does... and Lebron did it to his home, where he grew up and where he played 7 seasons. He was worshipped in Cleveland.

He could of at the very least done it with some respect towards the city. Instead he **** all over them on the way out.

BS this is why some Maverick fans are mad. they thought they had a chance. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44-6VBIe6k&feature=related

Are you from Cleveland?

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Do you really think anyone who doesn't follow sports would automagically tune into ESPN at 8 PM? More people cared or were interested in finding out where he signed. It was a bigger story and I think that's mainly why there was more backlash.

He was from Cleveland and took a dump on them on national TV. Totally embarrassed a city (close to where he grew up) on NATIONAL TV. If he said he wasn't going back to Cleveland, he should have let 1) the Cavs and 2) everyone else know he wasn't returning. Check Bill Simmons' article the day before the decision. He says that he thought there would be no way LBJ would embarrass Cleveland like that on national TV, because it would totally ruin his reputation (which it did).

Shareeb_omac2
12-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Are you from Cleveland?

You do realize that the guy you are talking about is a Texas Rangers fan. Cliff Lee left the Rangers...

He has even more of a right to be pissed off at Cliff Lee. Your dumb.

NYKNYGNYY
12-15-2010, 04:14 PM
LeBron James
-Had secret meetings with Wade and Bosh to scheme their way to a championship(All three signed at the same time)
-Had a little dance performance to rub it into the peoples faces that already were pissed off at him

Cliff Lee
-Made the decision based on family and HE HAS ALREADY PLAYED ON THE PHILLIES BEFORE(and he was also the lone signing)
-Even after his decision went public he has barely talked to about it publically

No comparison

:mad:

pebloemer
12-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Reasons why people hate LeBron

1)He didn't go to your team

2)The way he made the decision
3)Celebration party after they got all 3.
4)The HEAT formed a dynasty type team and people want to see them fail
5) people think they made this decision 3 years ago

Cliff Lee Who? He's not a household name, but that has nothing to do with it.

Considering (1) really only applies to fans of Chicago, NY or Cleveland (possibly Nets), I think it is given unnecessary weight here.

I think 2,3,4 would classify my desire to see them fail. I would add that I feel 3 players with the resumes they have, joining during the same free agency creates too much parity between teams and is bad for 80% of the franchises out there. It also takes too much control out of owners' hands. We've seen enough small market teams struggle to create competitive teams and lose their franchises, and a powerhouse hurts that.

LeBron James

Cliff Lee

No comparison

Agreed. Although the article was an interesting read, there are far too many factors that make each case significantly different.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
If Cliff Lee would have called Werth, Crawford, and Gonzales to agree upon signing on one team... Then, announced his decision live on T.V.(awkwardly)... Then, come on stage with his fellow signings to do the dougie... Then, announce they were going to win 7 championships...

I would hate him too.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't of said it better myself.

BigBlueCrew
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM

x1000000000

I dont know how many of you saw first take this morning, but they had this same discussion. While Cliff Lee is a great player he is not a superstar, there is a difference. Like beasted86 said outside of hardcore baseball fans no-one will know or care who cliff lee is.

J4KOP99
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
The main difference is the popularity of the two...

You can't even compare LeBron to Lee in that regard. Lee is a great pitcher, but hardly a well-known name when it comes to sports stars. LeBron on the other hand is quite possibly the most well-known name in sports. If he isn't then the list before him is pretty short.

With that said, obviously people are going to care more about LeBron's situation than Lee's. Also, basketball and baseball are completely different sports... Baseball needs hitters and pitchers, it is so hard to make one big move that will immediatly turn you into a title contender. So much more goes into it. A basketball team can change in an instant though. If LeBron signed onto any team in the NBA, all the way from the Nets to the Wizards to the Clippers... this team is automatically in the top 5 discussion. If Lee signed with, let's say, the Diamondbacks or the Royals or the Orioles, those teams still aren't good.

Lee's situation can't possibly be compared with Lebron's... I don't know why it has been. If this was A-Rod or someone of that stature, with a name that draws even the casual fans in, then it would have been comparable. But the only name drawing in the casual fan with this situation was the Yankees...not Lee himself.

Forget what the two actually decided on... the pre-decision wasn't nearly the same.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Are you from Cleveland?

You're obviously not very bright. I would think that the "Arlington, TX" in my location and the fact that all four of my teams are DFW based teams that you could figure out I have no ties to Cleveland.

No doubt, there was a glimmer of hope that the Mavs could pull something off but it has nothing to do with my hate for him. It was the the million reasons everyone else in this thread mentioned that makes me hate the guy.

giants73756
12-15-2010, 04:27 PM
The Cliff Lee signing is nothing like signing LeBron. LeBron is the best player in basketball, while Cliff Lee is barely a top ten pitcher. Wherever LeBron went that team would suddenly be one of the best teams in basketball, even if they weren't any good before. Cliff Lee will add about 5-6 wins to a baseball team's total. Then in the postseason LeBron will be even more significant than Lee. In the NBA the top seeds always win and in baseball it's a crapshoot.

Basically wherever LeBron went he's bringing multiple championships with him. Cliff Lee would be lucky to win one.

Whoever hates LeBron hates him because he's not on your team, not The Decision. All the revenue generated from that was donated, so why the hate? I was disappointed he didn't come to Chicago but whatever.

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Forget what the two actually decided on... the pre-decision wasn't nearly the same.

It's not about "what" they decided on, it's "how" they decided. One took a dump on his home state on national TV, one didn't. Big difference.

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Basically wherever LeBron went he's bringing multiple championships with him. Cliff Lee would be lucky to win one.

Whoever hates LeBron hates him because he's not on your team, not The Decision. All the revenue generated from that was donated, so why the hate? I was disappointed he didn't come to Chicago but whatever.

He brought the Cavs a bunch of championships, o wait. I'd be willing to bet Cliff Lee wins more championships during both of their current contracts.

Explain why fans of teams that weren't even in the running hate him, then, if thats why you think everyone hates him.

giants73756
12-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Cliff Lee was the biggest free agent of the year. LeBron was the biggest free agent in as long as I can remember

Unruly Fan
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM

LOLLLLL

I know Cliff Lee has done some good things but LeBron is easily one of the biggest if not the biggest name in the game of basket-ball right now. There's also no way one can toss "a couple MVPs" (which happens to be one of the more prestigious awards in the NBA) around like a pair of old underwear.

And yeah, the 1 hr or however long decision thing was pretty stupid but I think people have been looking into it wayyyyy too much.

Unruly Fan
12-15-2010, 04:34 PM

This is true. But there no other way he could've left. What VC did to Toronto was way worse imo.

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
LOLLLLL

I know Cliff Lee has done some good things but LeBron is easily one of the biggest if not the biggest name in the game of basket-ball right now. There's also no way one can toss "a couple MVPs" (which happens to be one of the more prestigious awards in the NBA) around like a pair of old underwear.

And yeah, the 1 hr or however long decision thing was pretty stupid but I think people have been looking into it wayyyyy too much.

Look at the end of my post. I said in NBA history.

J4KOP99
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
It's not about "what" they decided on, it's "how" they decided. One took a dump on his home state on national TV, one didn't. Big difference.

But before you even get to that point, the LeBron situation completely dwarfs the Lee situation...

The way that LeBron went about his actual decision is the obvious reason as to why we view the two differently...

But even before that people were viewing them differently. Cliff Lee means jack **** to most people while LeBron James is a well-known name that even non sports fans care about.

giants73756
12-15-2010, 04:40 PM
He brought the Cavs a bunch of championships, o wait. I'd be willing to bet Cliff Lee wins more championships during both of their current contracts.

Explain why fans of teams that weren't even in the running hate him, then, if thats why you think everyone hates him.

:laugh: I wish I could take you up on that bet. I'd put my life savings on that.

obcha22
12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
No it wasn't. And no I didn't.
It was egotistical, absurd and self promotional. It exemplified the problem with sports figures and their own self importance. He showed himself to be a complete fool as a person.
Exciting? no.
Ridiculous? yes

Lee was all class. I give him credit for going where he wanted to play and for doing it in the most respectful way possible to all parties.

Bigbadmoffo
12-15-2010, 05:13 PM

This

Bigbadmoffo
12-15-2010, 05:15 PM
The phillies are much better then the heat in my opinion.

pebloemer
12-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Lol. I was laughing hysterically through the entire thing...

It was a sad portrayal of how pathetic our media obsessed culture has become.

People don't watch Plan 9 From Outer Space because it is a quality film, they marvel at the train wreck of poor filmmaking... and laugh hysterically.

Gootie42
12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
But before you even get to that point, the LeBron situation completely dwarfs the Lee situation...

The way that LeBron went about his actual decision is the obvious reason as to why we view the two differently...

But even before that people were viewing them differently. Cliff Lee means jack **** to most people while LeBron James is a well-known name that even non sports fans care about.

If LeBron just signed with the Heat like Wade and Bosh I doubt we would be having this thread. Also, Lee didn't make his "courting" a big scene like LeBron did with the hotel and all those presentations, which probably is a result of how big the situation was allowed to become.

jezzyman05
12-15-2010, 05:28 PM

LeBron with respect......the guy as a tattoo "CHOOSEN 1 " on his back and KING JAMES l on his arm.... LeBron can't spell the word respect let alone define it.

Unruly Fan
12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
It was egotistical, absurd and self promotional. It exemplified the problem with sports figures and their own self importance. He showed himself to be a complete fool as a person.
Exciting? no.
Ridiculous? yes

Lee was all class. I give him credit for going where he wanted to play and for doing it in the most respectful way possible to all parties.

LeBron's TV spectacle aside.
He doesn't get credit for going where he wanted to play? I don't think it was fair for him to have felt obligated to stay in Cleveland. What was the respectful thing to do? Stay until they got better players so Cleveland isn't too crappy when he ultimately does leave? Doesn't make sense.

Roy Halladay did the same thing to Toronto. Both him and LeBron gave all, playing extremely well while they were with their respective clubs. Both opted not to Sign an extension. Both signed with other teams.

The only difference is the extremely overblown issue of LeBrons decision on TV - lol, so what? Seems like just an excuse to hate imo.

epumpers21
12-15-2010, 05:34 PM
If you blame Lebron for "The Decison" blame espn for airing it and blame the cavs for being some s**t lol Its hilarious to me how some of you actually hate Lebron, like seriously get over it there are more important things to be bothered by lol

Unruly Fan
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Look at the end of my post. I said in NBA history.

In that case where does Cliff Lee fit in the general scheme of MLB History?

hgtiger32
12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
skip bayless took the opposite side of views. he basically is saying that Lee took easy way out. Didnt go to NYY to be under pressure to deliver them a World Series (Knicks), didn't stay with the team he had played on, didn't want to be THE man and put Rangers on back (Cavs), so instead he teams up with three other good pitchers in Philly (Heat).

Slimsim
12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Lol. I was laughing hysterically through the entire thing...

It was a sad portrayal of how pathetic our media obsessed culture has become.

People don't watch Plan 9 From Outer Space because it is a quality film, they marvel at the train wreck of poor filmmaking... and laugh hysterically.

Honest to god I was hoping to see a Riot in Cleveland.

J4KOP99
12-15-2010, 05:50 PM
skip bayless took the opposite side of views. he basically is saying that Lee took easy way out. Didnt go to NYY to be under pressure to deliver them a World Series (Knicks), didn't stay with the team he had played on, didn't want to be THE man and put Rangers on back (Cavs), so instead he teams up with three other good pitchers in Philly (Heat).

Yeah it's hard to argue that as well.
But then people give you these reasons about Lee and his son, which none of us really know anything about... But the hospital that his son got treated at, is in philidelphia so people automatically say he had to play in philly or that's what justifies his reason to choose philly. But, I don't think we need a lesson in geography to know how close NYC is to Philly.

People also give him the benefit of the doubt for taxes or whatever reason... but just because you play for the Yankees does not mean you have to live in New York.

I agree with Bayless and think he makes a great point.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm a Rangers fan, and I completely disagree. If it was about winning, sticking around in TX would of been the best move, or at least just as good as going to Philly. He had just made the World Series with the Rangers, and the team is loaded with talent. There is no reason to think he couldnt contend for years as a Ranger.

He went to Philly because he loved the team and the city, and so did his wife. Both of them were "heartbroken" to leave Philly when he was traded, he had talked about finishing his career there. When he got the chance to do so again, he jumped on it.

Once again, Skip Bayless is wrong.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 05:58 PM
People also give him the benefit of the doubt for taxes or whatever reason... but just because you play for the Yankees does not mean you have to live in New York.

Regardless of whether he lived in New York or not, he would still be a New York state employee. If he worked at McDonalds in New York but commuted in from Rhode Island for some insane reason, he would still get state taxes taken out of his check because the work place is in New York... no difference playing in the MLB.

J4KOP99
12-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm a Rangers fan, and I completely disagree. If it was about winning, sticking around in TX would of been the best move, or at least just as good as going to Philly. He had just made the World Series with the Rangers, and the team is loaded with talent. There is no reason to think he couldnt contend for years as a Ranger.

He went to Philly because he loved the team and the city, and so did his wife. Both of them were "heartbroken" to leave Philly when he was traded, he had talked about finishing his career there. When he got the chance to do so again, he jumped on it.

Once again, Skip Bayless is wrong.

I understand the love for Texas but I still think that last year was somewhat of a fluke. Their pitching stepped up huge in the playoffs, I doubt the majority of those guys pitch like that again. It isn't crazy to think some guys got "hot" as the playoffs went on.

I think the AL got better this year, even if Lee went back to Texas I don't think they would have had as much success. I do think they are a solid team but if it was about winning(which I think weighed heavily in his decison) he would have went to the Yanks or Phillies. Yankees have money to contend every year and Philly has a great team in place... the Phillies have proved they can compete and have done so over the last few years.

If Lee went back to Texas for all that money I would have a hard time believing they could keep their core intact... Hamilton's contract is coming up and so are a few other guys.

I think Bayless does make a solid point but the majority of people are going to disagree with everything negative that is said about Lee because he seems like a really good guy. I don't mean to say that in jest either, I agree that Lee is a good guy.

J4KOP99
12-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Regardless of whether he lived in New York or not, he would still be a New York state employee. If he worked at McDonalds in New York but commuted in from Rhode Island for some insane reason, he would still get state taxes taken out of his check because the work place is in New York... no difference playing in the MLB.

Yes, but living in New York is also very costly... and he would not have had to do that.

RollinDeep
12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
The NY fans also kinda spit on Lee's wife...may have in the back of his mind.

He also seemed really upset when he got dealt away from Philly in the first place.

J4KOP99
12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
The NY fans also kinda spit on Lee's wife...may have in the back of his mind.

He also seemed really upset when he got dealt away from Philly in the first place.

Didn't he turn down their contract extension offer?

RollinDeep
12-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Didn't he turn down their contract extension offer?

You may be right, I don't remember what their offer was though. On the same note, the original reason they dealt him was because they thought they couldn't afford him. Oh how things change.

Mrphilly
12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Lebron cant do "The Decision" without ESPN. Blame them not Lebron. Why be mad at Lebron, its not his fault that he so great of a player that he is the only player ESPN cared enough about to do a special on. He also raised 3mil for the boys and girls club, but he gets no credit for that.

What is the point of Free Agency if you people feel Lebron should have stayed in Cleveland because he played there for 7 years. So what!!! Cleveland should be thankful, Lebron doesnt owe them anything.

People say Cleveland fans had to find out Lebron was leaving by watching it on tv. How the hell do they normally find out a player is leaving? Was Lebron suppose to go door to door to tell Cleveland fans he was leaving? Those fans expect a lot.

Lebron is from Akron, and last time I checked, the Akron Cavaliers do not exist.

Lebron is a great player, why does this other stuff even matter? I know why, cuz you guys are gay for Lebron. everything he does makes you guys angry.

DwayneMVPwade
12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Because cliff lee is not a 2 time MVP. Plus Cliff Lee has played for many teams in his career, so moving to a new team is not as big

The Flash
12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Lebron cant do "The Decision" without ESPN. Blame them not Lebron. Why be mad at Lebron, its not his fault that he so great of a player that he is the only player ESPN cared enough about to do a special on. He also raised 3mil for the boys and girls club, but he gets no credit for that.

What is the point of Free Agency if you people feel Lebron should have stayed in Cleveland because he played there for 7 years. So what!!! Cleveland should be thankful, Lebron doesnt owe them anything.

People say Cleveland fans had to find out Lebron was leaving by watching it on tv. How the hell do they normally find out a player is leaving? Was Lebron suppose to go door to door to tell Cleveland fans he was leaving? Those fans expect a lot.

Lebron is from Akron, and last time I checked, the Akron Cavaliers do not exist.

Lebron is a great player, why does this other stuff even matter? I know why, cuz you guys are gay for Lebron. everything he does makes you guys angry.

THis

Allstar21
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Over and over again people are saying that what Cliff Lee did was good for his family, therefore it can't be compared to what lebron james did. Has anyone ever been to Cleveland and Akron? If you think this is a great place for Lebron to raise his children you are mistaken. I am sure rich Miami suburbs have much, much better schools and a much better QOL for Lebron and his kids. Of course Lebron is black...so according to most of you and the media his children shouldn't matter to him.

Lebron is black, Cliff Lee is white. Its easy to make a villain out of a black athlete but ask most Yankee fans what they think of Cliff Lee now and he will be made out to be a villain too (its awesome to click on some users post history when they post a comment like "we don't need cliff lee for so many years, he is scum" after lee signed with Philly. Most have posts praising him and hoping he comes to the Yankees several weeks/days earlier).

Lebron underestimated how bad people really wanted him to come to their teams. Ask any NY fan or Chicago fan what they would think of the decision if he had chosen their team (well, not here, cuz most will lie and say that their perception wouldn't change). Most of them would be defending Lebron if he came to their team.

As for the overall hate on Lebron, only in 2010 can an athlete raise 3 million for charity and be criticized so harshly for it. I really do think that race is an important factor in the perception of the Cliff lee signing vs lebron signing....not the only factor, but an important one.
Lee took less money to go play with his buddies....HERO!
Lebron took less money to go play with his buddies....Villain! He is black, wth is he doing not going for as much money as possible....this breaks my stereotype of the rich black selfish athlete. Ah ha!! Well he took less money but he destroyed a large part of Clevelands economy that depended on him. Good now we can hate him for that! Doesn't this black athlete know that without our 100% approval he can't move his family or his career to somewhere he views as being better! He's a black athlete, we require he conform to our preception of how his career should play out! He must be the savior of Cleveland and their franchise.

Anyone denying that race was a factor here is naive.

btw...i was born in cleveland

All you need to know about cleveland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Allstar21
12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Exciting? no.
Ridiculous? yes

I watched. I was at a bar with tons of people who were watching...way more people than usual. When the decision came on quite a few people came over from the resturate side of the place to see what Lebron would say....ive been there many, many times and have never seen this happen. You say it wasn't exciting but you didn't watch it.....how do you know it wasn't exciting?

BlondeBomber41
12-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Over and over again people are saying that what Cliff Lee did was good for his family, therefore it can't be compared to what lebron james did. Has anyone ever been to Cleveland and Akron? If you think this is a great place for Lebron to raise his children you are mistaken. I am sure rich Miami suburbs have much, much better schools and a much better QOL for Lebron and his kids. Of course Lebron is black...so according to most of you and the media his children shouldn't matter to him.

Lebron is black, Cliff Lee is white. Its easy to make a villain out of a black athlete but ask most Yankee fans what they think of Cliff Lee now and he will be made out to be a villain too (its awesome to click on some users post history when they post a comment like "we don't need cliff lee for so many years, he is scum" after lee signed with Philly. Most have posts praising him and hoping he comes to the Yankees several weeks/days earlier).

Lebron underestimated how bad people really wanted him to come to their teams. Ask any NY fan or Chicago fan what they would think of the decision if he had chosen their team (well, not here, cuz most will lie and say that their perception wouldn't change). Most of them would be defending Lebron if he came to their team.

As for the overall hate on Lebron, only in 2010 can an athlete raise 3 million for charity and be criticized so harshly for it. I really do think that race is an important factor in the perception of the Cliff lee signing vs lebron signing....not the only factor, but an important one.
Lee took less money to go play with his buddies....HERO!
Lebron took less money to go play with his buddies....Villain! He is black, wth is he doing not going for as much money as possible....this breaks my stereotype of the rich black selfish athlete. Ah ha!! Well he took less money but he destroyed a large part of Clevelands economy that depended on him. Good now we can hate him for that! Doesn't this black athlete know that without our 100% approval he can't move his family or his career to somewhere he views as being better! He's a black athlete, we require he conform to our preception of how his career should play out! He must be the savior of Cleveland and their franchise.

Anyone denying that race was a factor here is naive.

btw...i was born in cleveland

All you need to know about cleveland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Bull ****, Bull ****, Bull ****.

I dont give a damn that he is black. I guarantee you that most people don't.

If Dirk was a Maverick for 7 years after us sucking for FOREVER, lead us back in the prominence, dragged us along all summer, had a 1 hour television show to rub it into our faces on the way out, did the stanky leg with his new teammates, and then proceeded to talk about how he was gonna win 7 championships.... I would hate him also.

Another reason why people hate him is because its not like he was in his early 30's and was getting desperate to win.... he was in his mid 20's and had a franchise that worshipped him and was literally willing to do anything to make him happy and put as good a team around him as possible. If he couldn't be happy with that, then it shows what a **** sucker he really is.

What makes it worse is Dirk didn't grow up in Dallas.... Lebron did grow up in Ohio. To do that to your hometeam makes it about 100 times worse.

Notice how Chris Bosh, another All Star black man who made the same decision, doesn't get all this hate? Its because Bosh just did it, didn't make a fool of himself, and didn't drag Toronto on. Lebron was saying stuff like "I'm not leaving Cleveland" last season and what did he do.... he left Cleveland.

Race has nothing to do with it, but of course there always has to be someone like you that pulls the race card. Typical.

Jaji
12-16-2010, 01:39 AM
:yawn:

Jaji
12-16-2010, 01:42 AM
The Miami Heat are the New York Yankees of basketball? 1 title vs a million? What a horrible and tired article. That "easy way out" argument is so lame and inaccurate. If LeBron went to the Knicks, one title would have made him the GOAT. In Miami, he has to create a dynasty. No less than 3 ships will be acceptable. Anyone still hating on LeBron needs to get a life.

ink
12-16-2010, 02:01 AM
By: Duk'
Yahoo Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-we-view-the-Cliff-Lee-and-LeBron-James-decis;_ylt=AujLvCpOA_2aRO5NLjGj9sAHU84F?urn=mlb-295980

The two athletes took two such different approaches this is the first time I even put them together. They have nothing in common. One did free agency with dignity, the other is Lebron. :shrug: The article is completely right.

Sixerlover
12-16-2010, 02:04 AM
The only people that say race wasn't a factor are in denial. Flame my post all you want, it's true.

Did the entire nation really turn on LeBron simply because he changed teams and had a 1 hour special about it? Come on, did that one hour of your life really make the general population HATE a player? I've done a lot of research and polling on the topic at my school (A small sample size, but properly diverse) and race is a factor for sure.

ink
12-16-2010, 02:05 AM
The Miami Heat are the New York Yankees of basketball? 1 title vs a million? What a horrible and tired article. That "easy way out" argument is so lame and inaccurate. If LeBron went to the Knicks, one title would have made him the GOAT. In Miami, he has to create a dynasty. No less than 3 ships will be acceptable. Anyone still hating on LeBron needs to get a life.

This kind of comment is not needed. If we're going to have threads like this, we don't need the insults. Face it, Lebron the player is good, Lebron the person is going to have to make up for the free agency fiasco for a long time, possibly the rest of his career. Depends on how he does in the post-season from here on.

ink
12-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Bull ****, Bull ****, Bull ****.

I dont give a damn that he is black. I guarantee you that most people don't.

Totally agree. The "race card" is a total non-issue and we don't need it in this thread. People can't stand Brett Favre either. Is that racial? :eyebrow:

ChiSox219
12-16-2010, 02:20 AM
The only people that say race wasn't a factor are in denial. Flame my post all you want, it's true.

Did the entire nation really turn on LeBron simply because he changed teams and had a 1 hour special about it? Come on, did that one hour of your life really make the general population HATE a player? I've done a lot of research and polling on the topic at my school (A small sample size, but properly diverse) and race is a factor for sure.

Millions of people were fans of Lebron before the decision and then after they were not.

Did his skin change color during that time?

tredigs
12-16-2010, 02:24 AM

The sample size undeniably shows that blacks have less of a problem with the decision than non-blacks, but how do you jump to the conclusion that the reason for this is racism? Was he not one of the most loved athletes in the world (by everyone) before this decision? Same for Tiger Woods, and Michael Vick? Maybe blacks just simply tend to care less about a persons actions outside of their sport, while others tend to hold them in contempt more so if they feel like they are projecting serious character flaws. I'm not sure if that's true, but to me it's just as logical a leap to make from yours (and other similar polls) results.

With Lee, his decision wasn't rammed and crammed down our throats for more than a year by ESPN. He didn't consent to a gigantic television special, didn't wear a weird picnic-table shirt and didn't engage in ridiculous banter with Jim Gray before saying something dumb like "I'm going to take my talents to Reading Terminal."

^Minus the dumb wardrobe comment by the author, this is the bottom line as to why Lebron was hated so much. But the fact of the matter is that the 1st point here (how ESPN + every other outlet was cramming it down peoples throats - although as we can see by the sheer popularity of his PSD threads - it's exactly what the people wanted...) is why the decision came with such a visceral response to people.

He gave a LOT of different fanbases at least a slight bit of hope by not leading on with what his decision would be, and with it being followed literally every day for over a year, that was a lot of built up tension. Throw in the fact that he joined another superstars team while not showing much love for his prior franchise, and you've got yourself a huge fire for haters to throw their frustration into.

I personally could care less about this decision (and I'm a white dude - gasp!), and I'd imagine that nobody else will after this season is over as well (given he plays well, people only forget if you play well), but to leap to the fact that it's rooted in racism and not these other factors is both ignorant and disrespectful. There's a lot to it.

As to why the Cliff Lee decision wasn't met with as much hate? Easy, nobody cared. Not to 1/10th the level that they cared about the Lebron decision, at least. I will 100% agree that he handled the free agency in a better way than Lebron, but he also had a MUCH easier situation to deal with, and no matter who he chose (Yankees, Rangers, Phils), the backlash would've been minimal at worst given the fact that there was so little emotion involved in it from the regular fan.

BlondeBomber41
12-16-2010, 03:11 AM

It wasn't only the changing of the teams and the One hour special. It was the million other things, that have been listed in this thread over and over again btw, that lead to everyone hating him.

Shaq was a dominant BLACK NBA player who changed teams from the team that picked him #1 overall and nobody hated Shaq because of it.

Elton Brand at the time was a BLACK All Star Power Forward who left the team he was with suddenly for another team. Nobody hated him for it.

On another note, Steve Nash was a WHITE All Star PG who left his team for another in FA, yet nobody hates him because of it.

To say that because people hate Lebron because he is black is truly ignorant, and the easy way out. Chris Bosh left his team as well if you dont remember, and he is just as black as Lebron James.

The difference is how they did it, the level of respect he showed the city on his way out, and the overall level of arrogance that just beams off the man in everything he did and said at the time.

The race card is something people wanna pull out any time a black athlete or movie star or musician gets in trouble, and I'm tired of it. If there is no evidence to back up the claim, other than paranoia, then people shouldn't bring it up.

ninerrider80
12-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Lets face it theres not a right or wrong answer, Lebron went about changing teams the wrong way and should have did it on the sly and more respectful but didnt realize how many people he would hurt, but at the same time cleveland sucks and didnt have the knowhow or the draw to get someone to help him win so by the time the playoffs came around, every year it was lebron vs a whole other team and that gets tiring imo he gave his all to them and they used him to make money waaaaaaaaay more then he used them.

Now when it comes to cliff lee, hes a douch too imo. He had no respect for the giants and put them down even after getting beat down and instead of going to a team to be an ace, he decided to take "the easy way" to a title and team up with other aces, same as lebron. Now he is not a big enough star of the sport to be half as important as lebron is to the public so people simply dont care as much. People were waiting on lebron to be a free agent for 3 years and some teams cleared cap room and bombed multiple seasons just to have a chance to sign him, philly grabbed him because they lost jason werth, totally different circumstances.

Now yaull can talk about how race doesnt matter and all that but it is a factor in the level of hate he has gotton. He is not from cleveland he is from akron, thats a totally different place, yes its near but he felt hate his whole childhood from people in the city.....until he became a basketball star.

Skip bayless is right Cliff Lee did the same thing as Lebron, but the way Lebron should have done it....lowkey

Now leave the man alone, jesus

123piecrust
12-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Cliff Lee had been traded and bounced around between a few different teams…LeBron had not.

Cliff Lee has not professed his love for one team and city of the course of his career…Lebron has.

Cliff Lee will not attend a 76ers game wearing a Kicks hat….Lebron would and did wear a Yankees hat at an Indians game.

Not race, just ego.

This decision was not for his family, Allstar21 is mistaken. He is leaving his girlfriend and two children in arguably the most affluent suburb of Akron along with the newly finished 35, 000 sq/ft Casa LeBron.