PDA

View Full Version : Biggest bust of Millennium

Mishmin
12-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Self-explanatory.

Think about elements of hype around them before the league, roles on team, injuries, players that were passed over for them, etc.

Kwame Brown- #1, 2001

Darko Milicic- #2, 2003

Adam Morrison- #3, 2006

Greg Oden- #1, 2007

Hasheem Thabeet- #2, 2009

Hawkeye15
12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
how can this not be Adam Morrison?? Thabeet is in year 2. Darko is playing ok finally (though not for a #2 pick, but in general). Brown has become a capable role player at times. Oden would be awesome if his body cooperated.

Morrison has absolutely stunk, and hasn't even played a game this year because of it

CityofChaos
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
depends on how you define bust.

OneTuzSea
12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
depends on how you define bust.

Bust (buhst) adj - Adam Morrison

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Oden in the time he has been healthy and gotten time he had MAJOR impact and IF he ever gets it going can be a defensive anchor for whatever team he plays for, so IMO he should be taken off that list as well as Thabeet he is only in his second season. Darko though having been a total waste his first five or so seasons in the league is showing that his career may not be riddled by extreme mediocrity and can be a serviceable role player on a good team. The only two who should be there honestly are Morrison and Brown. There is NO chance at them rejuvenating their careers. They are through.

JordansBulls
12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Morrison. At least the other players brought something to the team. Kwame at least could play some defense.

Rentzias
12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Millennium? C'mon man, that's gotta be LaRue Martin. I bought his rookie card 6 years ago for $1.25 on eBay. #1, played 4 years, averaged single digits pts and boards, drafted over Dr. J. Even Morrison had a better one season peak than this guy.

Iron24th
12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
It's between kwame and morrison,sad they were both Lakers at times lol.

Sadds The Gr8
12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
lol @ "millenium".

I think it's Morrison. He was so nasty in college and people compared him to Bird n ****. He's been absolutely dog **** since he's been in the NBA. He can't even make a roster. He's the definition of BUST.

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Millennium? C'mon man, that's gotta be LaRue Martin. I bought his rookie card 6 years ago for $1.25 on eBay. #1, played 4 years, averaged single digits pts and boards, drafted over Dr. J. Even Morrison had a better one season peak than this guy.

You do understand what he means by Millennium right?

nycericanguy
Morrison hands down. Kwame & Milicic at least were 6-7ppg 4-5rpg a game guys most of their careers. And they are still playing.

Thabeet though, has had ZERO impact but because its only been 2 years he gets a pass, but in 2 years he could pass Morrison.

Oden was a beast WHEN he played.

The thing with Milicic is that he was taken dead smack in the middle of a bunch of superstars... which really makes it look 10x worse.

Turtle55
If you combine hype with level of production to date then I have to say Oden. If you compare it to the players drafted after the guy compared to the guy himself then I would say Darko (Wade, Melo, Bosh). But if it's just straight draft pick compared to how good the player actually turned out to be then it was Kwame.

Overall I would vote Oden just because the hype around him was so overwhelming and Portland may end up getting no long term value from that pick. The worst draft pick of the century had to be Darko though. They could have picked anyone else on the list that year and ended up with an all star.

levignjw
12-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I say Milicic simply because of the immense amount of talent Joey D passed on for him. Probably not the biggest bust out of them all though, I'm just biased.

Double_R
12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Morrison is definitely the worst, but when I think of "bust", I think of a player who was taken high in the draft, but also ahead of players that are far superior in what they have become. I think it has to be Darko, because of what was passed on to take him. When you pass on Melo, Wade, and Bosh to take a guy, he has way more riding on him than an Adam Morrison or someone like him. Also you can think of bust as a guy looking like the best player on the court when he was in college, but then going to the NBA and doing absolutely nothing, which is Adam Morrison. I think Oden is a bust because he has been hurt the whole time and they passed on Durant to take him. Kwame is also a big bust, but doesn't compare to Darko since they have had a similar career and Kwame was taken before Melo and Wade. I Say Darko!

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I got a question for you guys

Who was more hyped? Kwame Brown or Greg Oden?

Hawkeye15
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Not sure why Milicic gets his bust label multiplied by what was taken around him. You should evaluate all these high picks individual careers, and what they have brought (or not brought in this case), to their respective teams. Who cares who else was in their draft?

bigsams50
12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
http://mapsoftheproblematic.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/adam-morrison.jpg

^ This guy

JIDsanity
12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Adam Morrison

otwisted
12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Len Bias, busted his entire life from stupidity.

Mishmin
12-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Funny that Morrison has multiple championship rings... Or maybe he pawned those *****es already.

Flash3
12-14-2010, 04:13 PM
was Morrison pegged to be a superstar ?

Khalifa21
12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
If we're talking about worst player out of those options.. Morrison.

In context to who was taken in the draft after them, I would say Darko Milicic. To pass on Melo, Bosh and Wade for him is almost unforgivable. The guy has developed into a solid player, but when you're taken ahead of those guys you gotta develop into an all-star calibre, MVP candidate.

dnewguy
12-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Adam "And when I get to the NBA, more people will cry" Morrison.

YankeeClipper5
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Jordan drafted both Morrison and Brown. I guess there is something he sucks @

NYKNYGNYY
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
http://mapsoftheproblematic.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/adam-morrison.jpg

^ This guy

he looks like one of the beatles :laugh:

Double_R
12-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Not sure why Milicic gets his bust label multiplied by what was taken around him. You should evaluate all these high picks individual careers, and what they have brought (or not brought in this case), to their respective teams. Who cares who else was in their draft?

That is just how it goes...

The only reason you act like it doesn't matter is because you are a TWolves fan
... I mean come on, to say it doesn't matter, seems stupid to me; When you take a player because you think he is going to be better than Melo, Wade, and Bosh(who were all considered to be a better pick at the time), then his expectations are going to be a lot higher dependent on what those players become. Since those players have all become stars/superstars, his expectations have been elevated thus leaving a larger gap between what he should be for getting drafted ahead of them and what he has become. So in my mind, the bigger the gap of expectations, the bigger the bust. Since his gap between Wade/Melo/Bosh and himself is bigger than what any of the others gap of what I thought they would become and what they actually are, that makes him the biggest bust in my opinion.

Crackadalic
12-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Adam Morrison wth does he even do? is he even a basketball player? Kwame Brown is a decent below average role player. Oden is hurt but when he did play he had impact,Darko is called a bust because their exceptions on him were too high but he has been a serviceable nba player, Thabeet is just raw so ill let him pass but Adam Morrison? the guy is a straight bum

The only reason the guy is still being talked about is because he has two rings:facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Adam "The Stache" Morrison by far

Hawkeye15
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
That is just how it goes...

The only reason you act like it doesn't matter is because you are a TWolves fan... I mean come on, to say it doesn't matter, seems stupid to me; When you take a player because you think he is going to be better than Melo, Wade, and Bosh(who were all considered to be a better pick at the time), then his expectations are going to be a lot higher dependent on what those players become. Since those players have all become stars/superstars, his expectations have been elevated thus leaving a larger gap between what he should be for getting drafted ahead of them and what he has become. So in my mind, the bigger the gap of expectations, the bigger the bust. Since his gap between Wade/Melo/Bosh and himself is bigger than what any of the others gap of what I thought they would become and what they actually are, that makes him the biggest bust in my opinion.

totally false. Its flawed logic like what I said, that tells us Bowie was the biggest bust ever, when he actually was a career 11/7.5 player, far from a bust.
And I understand your argument. I really do. But I think a player taken top 5 per say, should be judged as an individual, not for what was picked around him, or because of the strength of the draft.

Its also this line of reasoning that would technically make Hakeem a slight bust. Afterall, Michael Jordan was taken after him. While this is an extreme statement, you get my point.

Btw, go back to the draft talk in 2003. There were a ton of GM's that had Milicic slated at #2.

yankkiller
12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Self-explanatory.

Think about elements of hype around them before the league, roles on team, injuries, players that were passed over for them, etc.

Kwame Brown- #1, 2001

Darko Milicic- #2, 2003

Adam Morrison- #3, 2006

Greg Oden- #1, 2007

Hasheem Thabeet- #2, 2009

Kwame Brown: other then being a big body down low he has done nothin in all his years.

Adam Morrison: great player in college never translated to the NBA, hopefully this isn't going to be the same outcome that tim tebow will end up having.

Greg Oden: this guy was banned up in college and has yet been able to stay healthy yet hopefully he can turn it around.

Hasheem Thabeet: still very young can't say he has been a bust until he gets a shot to start.

Darko: he is getting his chance with the wolves, even thou he is not an all star he is a key to that team right now.

ManOnFire
12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Adam Morrison wth does he even do? is he even a basketball player? Kwame Brown is a decent below average role player. Oden is hurt but when he did play he had impact,Darko is called a bust because their exceptions on him were too high but he has been a serviceable nba player, Thabeet is just raw so ill let him pass but Adam Morrison? the guy is a straight bum
The only reason the guy is still being talked about is because he has two rings:facepalm:

haha yea cause youve done so much more with your life, havent you? He's definitely a bust...but to call him a bum is a bit of a stretch.

alencp3
12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Rafael Araujo, Yaroslav Korolev, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Stromile Swift should be considered too

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 05:45 PM
totally false. Its flawed logic like what I said, that tells us Bowie was the biggest bust ever, when he actually was a career 11/7.5 player, far from a bust.
And I understand your argument. I really do. But I think a player taken top 5 per say, should be judged as an individual, not for what was picked around him, or because of the strength of the draft.

Its also this line of reasoning that would technically make Hakeem a slight bust. Afterall, Michael Jordan was taken after him. While this is an extreme statement, you get my point.

Btw, go back to the draft talk in 2003. There were a ton of GM's that had Milicic slated at #2.

for that reasoning right there Hawkeye is why I would emphatically say that to this point (including this season) in Darko's career he has to be labeled a bust. He was viewed league wide as the top PF/C prospect and was going to change the league in ways not even Dirk could. The only way I see him salvaging his career and losing that label is if he continues to improve on his play of this season.

Kahn gave him a chance to redeem himself and that he did, remember just last season he said he was ready to leave the NBA and go back to Europe but showed the kind of promise those said GMs saw in him and was given a second chance at his career.

I'm sorry but Darko is a bust until proven otherwise.

m26555
12-14-2010, 05:47 PM
How the hell is Thabeet on this list? It's only his second season...

Hawkeye15
12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
for that reasoning right there Hawkeye is why I would emphatically say that to this point (including this season) in Darko's career he has to be labeled a bust. He was viewed league wide as the top PF/C prospect and was going to change the league in ways not even Dirk could. The only way I see him salvaging his career and losing that label is if he continues to improve on his play of this season.

Kahn gave him a chance to redeem himself and that he did, remember just last season he said he was ready to leave the NBA and go back to Europe but showed the kind of promise those said GMs saw in him and was given a second chance at his career.

I'm sorry but Darko is a bust until proven otherwise.

oh I couldn't agree more. My logic was that to rate him a bigger bust than Morrison, simply because Milicic's draft produced studs, and Morrison's produced Durant and nothing else, does not make sense.

The only way he salvages his career is if he becomes a force on a playoff team, and gets all star numbers. Aint happening

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 06:08 PM
oh I couldn't agree more. My logic was that to rate him a bigger bust than Morrison, simply because Milicic's draft produced studs, and Morrison's produced Durant and nothing else, does not make sense.

The only way he salvages his career is if he becomes a force on a playoff team, and gets all star numbers. Aint happening

O well I must say I misinterpreted what you said. I agree with you though. He shouldn't suffer because of the draft class he was a part of.

Korman12
12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Morrison. How can it not be when he's the only one whose so bad that he's not even in the league anymore?

Milicic, despite being picked in the wrong spot in the draft, is the only one of the five in the poll starting right now.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
O well I must say I misinterpreted what you said. I agree with you though. He shouldn't suffer because of the draft class he was a part of.

I mean, Milicic is starting, and near the top of the league in blocks, and actually plays a lot of minutes and contributes. Morrison is a ghost. How is it even a debate? haha

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I think you mean decade...

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-14-2010, 06:38 PM
What about "The Kandi Man"?

netsgiantsyanks
12-14-2010, 06:43 PM
michael olawakandi defientely should be on this list. its not even funny how terrible he was.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-14-2010, 06:46 PM
michael olawakandi defientely should be on this list. its not even funny how terrible he was.

Or I guess Clippers' picks don't count even if they are busts :laugh2:

At least they got lucky with Griffin, people will fill those seats to watch him play. Must See TV.

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I mean, Milicic is starting, and near the top of the league in blocks, and actually plays a lot of minutes and contributes. Morrison is a ghost. How is it even a debate? haha

I fully agree with you there.

GIANTKNICK
12-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Has to greg oden. Look at it the pick right after him is going to be a all time great. the debate was Durant or Oden now we know. At least those other guys can contribute, give you something even trade value. Oden, well hope he gets back on the court.

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
What about "The Kandi Man"?

Biggest Bust of the Millennium! Kandi was drafted in 98.

Swashcuff
12-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Has to greg oden. Look at it the pick right after him is going to be a all time great. the debate was Durant or Oden now we know. At least those other guys can contribute, give you something even trade value. Oden, well hope he gets back on the court.

Thats has NOTHING to do with him being a bust. The mere fact that you are actually think like that is laughable :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
And also, the Bulls in 2001 could've traded Elton Brand to Atlanta for Pau Gasol instead of to the Clippers for Tyson Chandler who was the #2 pick over Gasol who went 3rd. But I'm not gonna play coulda shoulda with whatever the Bulls did because their decision making prior to 2008 led to us winning the lottery and having Rose fall in our laps, who's the best player we've had since Jordan.

Mplsman
12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Amo or Kwame. I think Micheal Olowakandi should be on the list too. He went #1 overall.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Amo or Kwame. I think Micheal Olowakandi should be on the list too. He went #1 overall.

Ya but I forgot the thread was about this millennium as in 2000 and later, ****in got me confused.

Sactown
12-14-2010, 07:16 PM

because if all the talent in the draft was **** and he still ended up as the best of the draft and was drafted number 1 he isn't a bust... he was the best player in the draft and was selected so.

killbumdeluxe13
12-14-2010, 07:29 PM
kwame brown. morrison is close but the expectations for a #1 overall outride the expectations for a #3 overall pick. Plus Kwame is approaching 10 years in the league and has done absolutely nothing! Morrison at least gave us some laughs with that 'stache. Oden looks good when hes healthy but can never stay healthy, Darko is at least putting up respectable numbers for the wolves, especially considering the amount of minutes he plays. Thabeet still has some time but another season or two and he will be the biggest bust of the bunch unless he accidentally finds some skill.

RenegadeRiot36
12-14-2010, 07:30 PM
This video explains it in full detail, ending what little speculation may have existed at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f11JJKEskKw

Gators123
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
This video explains it in full detail, ending what little speculation may have existed at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f11JJKEskKw

:laugh:

Daze9900
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Answer is Adam Morrison. How many big games did he have in college? I think he even score 50 if im not mistaken. He was so hyped. Kwame Brown is what you can serviceable and the jury has to be out on Oden. Amare had microfracture and he didn't have a drop off. Oden is snake bitten but let's wait and see if he can get back on the court. There is no doctor that said he couldn't. Darko seems to have found a place in Minnesota.

jerz89
12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
adam 2 rings just sayin LOL

monty77
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
add stromile swift nš2

8kobe24
12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Morrison, he was supposed to be a mini dirk.

StevenU2009
12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I like this thread; it's interesting. Oden is incomplete and really sad that his feet may not allow him to play. Certainly he seemed to have the talent and we've never been shown that he does not. I am rooting for that guy to salvage a career and I think it's too early to label him a bust.
Darko is a good player. I honestly think he has been judged very harshly due to the guys picked after him and that he never really got a proper chance to play till now.
Kwame is pretty f ing bad; To be picked number 1 and produce NOTHING over like 7 years-OUCH-he is certainly a huge bust.
Thabeet looks lost and immobile, but I guess it is too soon to say. He, too, has not really gotten a chance yet, so I do not think ti's fair to call hima bust-even though I think he may well be the "winner" eventually of this "contest".
Right now, here, today, I think Adam Morrison has to be the biggest bust (of *this* millenium-not to be confused with the last millenium). He literally had all the tools-at least on offense, he even had sloppy hair like Bird and wow has he really been awful. When you can shoot that well you really oughtta be able to find a way to at least contribute...something (see JR Reddick...Korver....hell, Gallinari-these guys all blow him away and they seem to have not much else but a shot. Hmmmm.

StevenU2009
12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
adam 2 rings just sayin LOL
you just made the case that rings should NOT be considered
see: barkley, ewing, malone, stockton, reggie miller
morrison is not nearly as good as will perdue
or wennington...or stacey king for that matter
(it was kinda funny tho)

THE MTL
12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
At least Darko and Kwame have remained in the NBA and been able to crave out minor roles with their team. Now, Adam Morrision (where is he btw?), is he still in the league? He never had a role with any team. Just horrible.

MIKE&IKE's
12-14-2010, 08:56 PM
oden has the ability, but cant stay on the floor. plus, he drew comparisons to russell. so i gotta go with oden

shep33
12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't even know if we can call Oden a bust yet because of his injuries... he's still young and if he gets healthy next year say and aveages 15 and 10 with a couple of blocks for a few years without missing many games I don't think he'd be a bust... sad situation.

Storch
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Morrison can't even shoot

JWalk126
12-14-2010, 10:39 PM
To avoid confusion between the past 1,000 years and the current millennium, you should have just said decade... Not to mention that the NBA hasn't been around for that long.

Anywho, I went with Brown.

Valkyrie
12-15-2010, 12:49 AM
inb4lebron

brandonwarne52
12-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Jordan drafted both Morrison and Brown. I guess there is something he sucks @

Also: Baseball.

ChiSox219
12-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Yaroslav Korolev
#12 pick by the LA Clippers in 2005
34 games played
5.6 PER
.283 FG%, .368 TS%
-.024 WS/48
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/korolya01.html

Time2Dieeee
12-15-2010, 04:11 AM
i dunno about the biggest bust of the millennium, but i do know the biggest bust of the night was by me after i saw my sig

ssprimetime
12-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Its funny how Darko has more votes than Gregory and the beat. Darko shouldnt even be on the list anymore he has actually played decently when given the chance...

JDMVP
12-15-2010, 04:19 AM
THE "BIGGEST BUST" OF THE MILLENNIUM HAS 2 CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS
thats all i gotta say

hyb152
12-15-2010, 04:40 AM
how can this not be Adam Morrison?? Thabeet is in year 2. Darko is playing ok finally (though not for a #2 pick, but in general). Brown has become a capable role player at times. Oden would be awesome if his body cooperated.

Morrison has absolutely stunk, and hasn't even played a game this year because of it

Morrison tore his knee up during his rookie year. That obviously derailed his career and confidence. Kwame never got hurt. I say Kwame.

tdunk21
12-15-2010, 04:45 AM
darko shouldnt even be in that list considering the way he is playing lately...

kwame brown
haseem thabeet
adam morrison

ssprimetime
12-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Morrison tore his knee up during his rookie year. That obviously derailed his career and confidence. Kwame never got hurt. I say Kwame.

Why does it matter if a player is always hurt if you think a player is gonna be that great but is always hurt he isnt considered a bust just because you didnt get to see him play but the next guy doesnt get hurt but just sucks so he is more of a bust? That doesnt make much sense because they both didnt perform. Its the same because they both didnt do anything to make a difference.

Blazers#1Fan
12-15-2010, 04:55 AM
its funny how darko has more votes than gregory and the beat. Darko shouldnt even be on the list anymore he has actually played decently when given the chance...

darko sucks!

Greg has a chance to be good and when he did play he was beasting it he was gettin 15-10-2blk but got injured

oden put on 60pounds out of college why do you think he keeps getting injured he needs to lose weight portland told him to gain weight now he needs to lose it! If he stayed lower weight he dominate

B.JenningsMVP
12-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Couple weeks ago i was watching some hard core stuff n i busted n it was pretty krazy, so that's mossst def for me..

ssprimetime
12-15-2010, 05:11 AM
darko sucks!

Greg has a chance to be good and when he did play he was beasting it he was gettin 15-10-2blk but got injured

oden put on 60pounds out of college why do you think he keeps getting injured he needs to lose weight portland told him to gain weight now he needs to lose it! If he stayed lower weight he dominate

Nice big IF on that and how does Darko suck I guess you never watched him play yet I know I havent seen Oden play because he hasnt play any games in his career!

Supa
12-15-2010, 05:52 AM
I was deciding between Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison, but then I realized the biggest bust is MJ as team manager.

---

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Darko last night, 25/11

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Darko last night, 25/11

In a loss ;)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200403170WAS.html

and in the very next game he had 27 and 11 both wins. Let's see Darko tho that.... lol

king4day
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
While Darko is getting better, I still pick him. He was supposed to be a star. He's just a good player now and that's it. And it took a loooong time before that happend.

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 09:40 AM
While Darko is getting better, I still pick him. He was supposed to be a star. He's just a good player now and that's it. And it took a loooong time before that happend.

With the exclusion of Thabeet they all were.... hell Morrison was supposed to be the next Larry Bird :speechless:

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Besides Thabeet, they were all supposed to be really good NBA players.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 09:43 AM
In a loss ;)
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200403170WAS.html

and in the very next game he had 27 and 11 both wins. Let's see Darko tho that.... lol

um, he plays for my Timberwolves....

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 09:45 AM
um, he plays for my Timberwolves....

That season the Wizards finish at 25-57 I don't think your wolves are THAT much worst than that.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 09:49 AM
That season the Wizards finish at 25-57 I don't think your wolves are THAT much worst than that.

well, the Wolves will end up winning some games this year, believe me. They have had the 3rd toughest schedule, and literally just got back Webster and Flynn last night. After this road trip, they have a schedule over the next 7-10 games where they could win a good amount of them.

We shall see...

My point was, is it never going to be ok to post anything positive about a Wolves player, knowing the one thing coming right back at you is, "Yeah, but they lost", or, "Yeah, but its easy to get stats on a bad team"?

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
well, the Wolves will end up winning some games this year, believe me. They have had the 3rd toughest schedule, and literally just got back Webster and Flynn last night. After this road trip, they have a schedule over the next 7-10 games where they could win a good amount of them.

We shall see...

My point was, is it never going to be ok to post anything positive about a Wolves player, knowing the one thing coming right back at you is, "Yeah, but they lost", or, "Yeah, but its easy to get stats on a bad team"?

Why are you getting so defensive there is a reason I winked after that comment dude. I was just pulling your leg.

koLohe2133
12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
The kandi man??? Think about that years draft class n the clippers pick him???

CavsYanksDuke
12-15-2010, 10:00 AM
When talking about busts, I have to compare their choice with other possible choices at that time with their pick. Considering the Pistons could have taken Wade or Anthony and become a dynasty in the East immediately basically, Darko's pick has to be one of the worst of all time, simply because they were one pick away from multiple championships.

And it's not even like they took the only big man in the draft because they needed it. I don't blame the Blazers really because Oden was the only legit big man of the year. Chris Bosh would have won two championships by now paired with Ben Wallace, Chauncey, Rip and all the other pieces they had at the time.

CavsYanksDuke
12-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh and the TWolves are TERRIBLE.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Why are you getting so defensive there is a reason I winked after that comment dude. I was just pulling your leg.

oh, no. I just meant in general here, not to you in the slightest. My b

I only meant, any time somebody brings up a Wolves player, they get crapped on because its a bad team currently. At least for the most part.

And the very fact that Morrison is basically out of the league makes this a no brainer. The dude hasn't played a minute this year.

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 10:11 AM
oh, no. I just meant in general here, not to you in the slightest. My b

I only meant, any time somebody brings up a Wolves player, they get crapped on because its a bad team currently. At least for the most part.

And the very fact that Morrison is basically out of the league makes this a no brainer. The dude hasn't played a minute this year.

I see I fully understand what you're saying.

Please don't respond to that CavsYanksDuke fellow please. You'd be wasting your talents on such a un-smart fellow. Save your expertise for the real posters.

Rentzias
12-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Darko's just happy he stepped his game up this year before this PSD poll came out.

matthollabak
12-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I voted for Kwame but after further review it is not him. After looking at that year's draft Kwame was as boom or bust as everyone in that draft. Yes Pau was in there but Euro players are always a roll of the dice especially as the #1 overall. Kwame is a bust at #1 overall, but at the time there really was no clear cut #1 they passed on or great player they should have taken....pretty much same situation for Morrison. Look at the 06 draft as a whole and it is a big steamy pile with Roy really the only star potential player, Rondo was taken late in the first but really was not a great PG in college. The number one pick is a decent player....but really as a #1 overall somewhat of a bust himself.

I would have to say there is a very strong case for Darko....In a year where you could throw darts at the top 5 and still get an all star and a good shot at a HOFer, the Pistons managed to screw up. They wanted a big man they could have gotten Bosh or even Kaman, Melo was the no brainer at that spot but I understand they already had Prince and Rip so they really didn't need another starting wing....so going big made did make sense at the time for them, they just threw the dice on one of the best drafts in NBA history and lost horribly.

Oden may be looked at the same as Sam Bowie is even if he gets past the injuries and has a productive career with Durant going right after so he could make a strong case.....but it's too early to tell.

Gators123
12-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I voted for Kwame but after further review it is not him. After looking at that year's draft Kwame was as boom or bust as everyone in that draft. Yes Pau was in there but Euro players are always a roll of the dice especially as the #1 overall. Kwame is a bust at #1 overall, but at the time there really was no clear cut #1 they passed on or great player they should have taken....pretty much same situation for Morrison. Look at the 06 draft as a whole and it is a big steamy pile with Roy really the only star potential player, Rondo was taken late in the first but really was not a great PG in college. The number one pick is a decent player....but really as a #1 overall somewhat of a bust himself.

I would have to say there is a very strong case for Darko....In a year where you could throw darts at the top 5 and still get an all star the Pistons managed to screw up. They wanted a big man they could have gotten Bosh or even Kaman, Melo was the no brainer at that spot but I understand they already had Prince and Rip so they really didn't need another starting wing....so going big made did make sense at the time for them, they just threw the dice on one of the best drafts in NBA history.

Oden may be looked at as Sam Bowie is even if he has a productive career with Durant going right after so he could make a strong case.....but it's too early to tell.

Not true, Darko was the consensus #2 pick.

matthollabak
12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Not true, Darko was the consensus #2 pick.

Consensus by who?......Darko was a roll of the dice. I remember people talking about Melo possibly going number 1 if anyone but Cleveland won the lottery that year....though it was a small chance.

Gators123
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Consensus by whom......Darko was a roll of the dice. Melo was even talked about as possibly going number 1 if anyone but Cleveland won the lottery that year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028152/index.htm

"He has the makings of the most dominant center in Europe since Arvydas Sabonis," says an NBA scout who isn't sure that James should be picked ahead of Milicic.

Gators123
12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I like this quote I read on another site a few months ago

Blame chance for the Pistons getting stuck with the No. 2 pick in a 1-3-4-5 draft. But don’t use hindsight to blame them for picking Darko.

matthollabak
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028152/index.htm

"He has the makings of the most dominant center in Europe since Arvydas Sabonis," says an NBA scout who isn't sure that James should be picked ahead of Milicic.

After doing some research you are more right than I thought...I was just remembering having conversations about how much of a gamble taking a Euro big man at #2 over a national hero in and proven winner in Melo was, there was the argument for that but much more support for Darko than I remembered....I will also be honest and say that I didn't think Wade or Bosh would be much more than pretty decent players at the time....I thought Kaman was the best big man in that group and possibly one of the top 2 or 3 players since I was attending Ball State at the time and saw him kill us in 2 games dropping 43 and 39 respectively...and generally destroying our entire conference that year.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
It HAS to be Greg Oden.

Being a bust has nothing to do with your talents. It has to do with what you were expected to be and what you became.

Greg Oden was suppose to be the Lebron of centers. The next great big, the Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal of his time. Even when healthy he never showed that potential, and now that his knees are complete crap he will probably never be anything more than a role player if he finds a way to play.

Plus, lets not forget that the impact of a bust not only comes from who you took, but who you passed up to take that player.... When you pass up Kevin Durant (barring injuries, a sure HOF player one day) to take a guy, you hurt yourself more than just taking a player and it not working out. Similar to Bowie/Jordan, the Blazers will now always hear the Oden/Durant talk. It will haunt them forever.

Adam Morrison is awful, but in the end he is just another college player whose game didn't translate to the NBA. That happens every year, and nobody is shocked.

Kwame had potential, but he wasn't the "can't miss" prospect that Greg Oden was.

Thabeet could never play a minute in the NBA again and wouldn't rival Oden as a bust, but it's only his second season and this is far too premature.

Darko was always a mystery. He was suppose to be good, but at the same time there is always a risk with foreign big men and nobody was exactly surprised he didn't become a great player. He falls into the same category as Oden when it comes to who the Pistons passed up to get him (Mainly Melo, Bosh and Wade) but because he was never hyped like Oden and because at this point he can at least stay healthy and contribute, he is behind Oden.

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Consensus by who?......Darko was a roll of the dice. I remember people talking about Melo possibly going number 1 if anyone but Cleveland won the lottery that year....though it was a small chance.

Excuse me sir but what NBA were you paying attention to? There was even talk of Darko being picked AHEAD of LeBron James until Cleveland won the lottery. He was the consensus #2 overall pick.

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
It HAS to be Greg Oden.

Being a bust has nothing to do with your talents. It has to do with what you were expected to be and what you became.

Greg Oden was suppose to be the Lebron of centers. The next great big, the Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal of his time. Even when healthy he never showed that potential, and now that his knees are complete crap he will probably never be anything more than a role player if he finds a way to play.

Plus, lets not forget that the impact of a bust not only comes from who you took, but who you passed up to take that player.... When you pass up Kevin Durant (barring injuries, a sure HOF player one day) to take a guy, you hurt yourself more than just taking a player and it not working out. Similar to Bowie/Jordan, the Blazers will now always hear the Oden/Durant talk. It will haunt them forever.

Adam Morrison is awful, but in the end he is just another college player whose game didn't translate to the NBA. That happens every year, and nobody is shocked.

Kwame had potential, but he wasn't the "can't miss" prospect that Greg Oden was.

Thabeet could never play a minute in the NBA again and wouldn't rival Oden as a bust, but it's only his second season and this is far too premature.

Darko was always a mystery. He was suppose to be good, but at the same time there is always a risk with foreign big men and nobody was exactly surprised he didn't become a great player. He falls into the same category as Oden when it comes to who the Pistons passed up to get him (mainly Bosh and Wade) but because he was never hyped like Oden and because at this point he can at least stay healthy and contribute, he is behind Oden.

The only thing bust about Oden is his knees. The guy still hasn't gotten a full season under his belt to prove whether or not he deserves to be called a bust.

mikealike305
12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
id say brown, and i think its to early to call oden a bust

Double_R
12-15-2010, 11:39 AM

Yea, but you do hear everyone calling Sam Bowie a bust and his career numbers are a lot better than Darkos'(actually double his), so yea I would say when people talk about the biggest draft mistakes ever, I would assume that Darko and Sam Bowie will both be there. ...I mean you are taking the extreme way like you pointed out, but you didn't see me calling Melo or Bosh a bust and wade is better than both.

I think if Oden were healthy, he would be way better than the rest of the pack... Number 2 as in play is Darko and Kwame(he did have a 30 20 game, since Darko had 27 and 11 last night), then Thabeet(I am not really sure why the hype in the 1st place, I watched a lot of him in college and he never overly impressed me(he was just tall and he played soccer, so everyone was saying what good footwork he would have)... the Adam Mo, who did have a really bad injury at the beginning of his career, not sure if he would of been good anyway(once I saw him cry, I knew he wasn't a good pick), so back to my main point which is that you are only as big as the hype around you and if you are so hype worthy that some scouts are saying they don't know if James should be picked before you then the expectations are extremely high. His expectations were so high that he is the furtherest from them.

This is what I mean, when Morrison was drafted, did you truly believe he was gonna be an absolute star? I know I didn't and I know I wasn't alone(and don't tell me about the Bird comps because they were completely unwarranted)... When the Pistons passed on Melo, Wade, & Bosh to take Milicic you had to think he was going to be a superstar if they were willing to pass on those 3 proven players coming off huge performances in college(Melo won it all, Bosh and Jack had GT close, Wade took Marquette to what the elite 8 and had a triple double in a losing effort), but yet they drafted the guy they thought would be the best.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Yea, but you do hear everyone calling Sam Bowie a bust and his career numbers are a lot better than Darkos'(actually double his), so yea I would say when people talk about the biggest draft mistakes ever, I would assume that Darko and Sam Bowie will both be there. ...I mean you are taking the extreme way like you pointed out, but you didn't see me calling Melo or Bosh a bust and wade is better than both.

I think if Oden were healthy, he would be way better than the rest of the pack... Number 2 as in play is Darko and Kwame(he did have a 30 20 game, since Darko had 27 and 11 last night), then Thabeet(I am not really sure why the hype in the 1st place, I watched a lot of him in college and he never overly impressed me(he was just tall and he played soccer, so everyone was saying what good footwork he would have)... the Adam Mo, who did have a really bad injury at the beginning of his career, not sure if he would of been good anyway(once I saw him cry, I knew he wasn't a good pick), so back to my main point which is that you are only as big as the hype around you and if you are so hype worthy that some scouts are saying they don't know if James should be picked before you then the expectations are extremely high. His expectations were so high that he is the furtherest from them.

This is what I mean, when Morrison was drafted, did you truly believe he was gonna be an absolute star? I know I didn't and I know I wasn't alone(and don't tell me about the Bird comps because they were completely unwarranted)... When the Pistons passed on Melo, Wade, & Bosh to take Milicic you had to think he was going to be a superstar if they were willing to pass on those 3 proven players coming off huge performances in college(Melo won it all, Bosh and Jack had GT close, Wade took Marquette to what the elite 8 and had a triple double in a losing effort), but yet they drafted the guy they thought would be the best.

fair enough. We just view the term, "bust" differently. I have a tendency to view a player individually, and not care what is around him. Whether that is a roster, draft position, whatever. My way is far from perfect obviously. I just look at that list, and see Adam Morrison, who doesn't even play anymore. That has got to be considered the biggest waste of a top 3 pick I can think of.
Trust me, I am not defending the Darko pick because he is with the Wolves. It was a horrendous pick. But I guess all I can offer for my opinion is, at least the dude is starting, playing, and showing up in the league leaders in a category or two. Morrison is sitting on his couch

Jay22Redd
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
It has to be out of Kwame Brown & Morrison. But since Kwame was number 1 overall, I went with him.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I just look at that list, and see Adam Morrison, who doesn't even play anymore. That has got to be considered the biggest waste of a top 3 pick I can think of.

With the #2 pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, the Chicago Bulls select Jay Williams, PG, Duke.

In fact, he should be on this list for sure.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
With the #2 pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, the Chicago Bulls select Jay Williams, PG, Duke.

In fact, he should be on this list for sure.

um, for sure.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Why is Jay Williams a bust?

A motorcycle accident forced him out of the league. You can't say he was a bust because we simply don't know. It was more bad luck than it was Jay being a bust.

Korman12
12-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't know if anyone said it, but I vehemently disagree with the person who said that being a bust has nothing to do with the player's talents, just their expectations.

Players like Jay Williams and Len Bias (if anyone seriously suggested him) should never be considered busts - disappointments, yes, but not busts. Everyone knows what happened to Bias and Jay Williams suffered a freak accident outside of a game. They weren't knocked off the court because they couldn't play (Jay Williams had a pretty good rookie season), but insane circumstances. How does that make them bad?

Morrison. Can't. Play. He was in the league for four years, was a consensus top 5 pick, and flat out sucked. The others, when healthy, could play to some extent.

I think there has to be a clearly defined difference between a bust, a disappointment, and a bad management decision.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't know if anyone said it, but I vehemently disagree with the person who said that being a bust has nothing to do with the player's talents, just their expectations.

Players like Jay Williams and Len Bias (if anyone seriously suggested him) should never be considered busts - disappointments, yes, but not busts. Everyone knows what happened to Bias and Jay Williams suffered a freak accident outside of a game. They weren't knocked off the court because they couldn't play (Jay Williams had a pretty good rookie season), but insane circumstances. How does that make them bad?

Morrison. Can't. Play. He was in the league for four years, was a consensus top 5 pick, and flat out sucked. The others, when healthy, could play to some extent.

I think there has to be a clearly defined difference between a bust, a disappointment, and a bad management decision.

Being a bust absolutely has to do with expectations. If you are a "sure thing" and are expected to become Tim Duncan or Shaq and you become Brendan Haywood you most certainly are a bust. More so than a guy who many doubted would ever work in the NBA like Morrison.

Jay Williams was able to make it back to playing shape and no team would even give him their 15th roster spot... you dont go from #2 overall pick talent to not being able to make an NBA roster if you were ever really that good. Tracy McGrady has been decimated by injuries and can still make a roster and get it done. Jay Williams himself said he was close to 100% and still couldnt make a team.

He didnt have a great or even good rookie season. 10/5 on 40% shooting is very average. Any player playing 27 minutes a game with the green light like him could put up those numbers.

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh and btw to the original poster, a Millennium is 1,000 years. I think the word you were looking for is decade.

Swashcuff
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh and btw to the original poster, a Millennium is 1,000 years. I think the word you were looking for is decade.

I think he meant THIS millennium as is 2000 onwards.

uprightciti
12-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Kwame at least put up some numbers and is still in the league

DEF. ADAM MORRISON

BlondeBomber41
12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I think he meant THIS millennium as is 2000 onwards.

Well thats dumb. The millennium is just starting. Thats like having a poll that says "best play of the season?" 2 days into it.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Well thats dumb. The millennium is just starting. Thats like having a poll that says "best play of the season?" 2 days into it.

I would bet anything we did haha

ttam68
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
fair enough. We just view the term, "bust" differently. I have a tendency to view a player individually, and not care what is around him. Whether that is a roster, draft position, whatever. My way is far from perfect obviously. I just look at that list, and see Adam Morrison, who doesn't even play anymore. That has got to be considered the biggest waste of a top 3 pick I can think of.
Trust me, I am not defending the Darko pick because he is with the Wolves. It was a horrendous pick. But I guess all I can offer for my opinion is, at least the dude is starting, playing, and showing up in the league leaders in a category or two. Morrison is sitting on his couch

While I typically agree with you, the problem is not all drafts are created equal. The Pistons had the #2 pick in one of the greatest drafts ever and walked away with a few awful years of Darko. Atleast Morrison was taken third in a down year. Even Kwame was taken for upside when there weren't many sure picks.

In 2003 there were a number of guys everyone knew would be very good (at the time Darko was in that list), and a bunch more that everyone knew would atleast be good. But Darko went #2.

Lets pretend you, me, Darko, and Willie Green are in a draft. Darko should go #1. Theres no reason to call him a bust because he's number one, he's the best pick. But if Lebron, Wade, Darko, and Melo are in a draft and Darko goes #2, thats a bust.

----------------------

As for Jay Williams and Oden, I think severe injuries kind of exclude you from this discussion, atleast to a degree. Though Jay Williams rookie year wasn't spectacular, I'm sure a horrible motorcycle accident could've easily derailed MJ or Kobe's career too. Oden has shown tremendous promise (top 5-10 potential) when on the floor. He's young enough, maybe he'll turn it around.

For now, its definitely Darko for me.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2010, 04:32 PM
While I typically agree with you, the problem is not all drafts are created equal. The Pistons had the #2 pick in one of the greatest drafts ever and walked away with a few awful years of Darko. Atleast Morrison was taken third in a down year. Even Kwame was taken for upside when there weren't many sure picks.

In 2003 there were a number of guys everyone knew would be very good (at the time Darko was in that list), and a bunch more that everyone knew would atleast be good. But Darko went #2.

Lets pretend you, me, Darko, and Willie Green are in a draft. Darko should go #1. Theres no reason to call him a bust because he's number one, he's the best pick. But if Lebron, Wade, Darko, and Melo are in a draft and Darko goes #2, thats a bust.

----------------------

As for Jay Williams and Oden, I think severe injuries kind of exclude you from this discussion, atleast to a degree. Though Jay Williams rookie year wasn't spectacular, I'm sure a horrible motorcycle accident could've easily derailed MJ or Kobe's career too. Oden has shown tremendous promise (top 5-10 potential) when on the floor. He's young enough, maybe he'll turn it around.

For now, its definitely Darko for me.

all fair points, for sure. As I said in another post, sometimes I evaluate things differently. Not that my way is better, I guarantee sometimes its not. I just see Darko going for 10/6/2.5 currently, and Adam Morrison sitting at home eating cheetos, and make my selection.
You give a good explanation here, and they are very valid points. 2003 is an odd example, because there was so much talent in the top 4/5 picks. Most drafts are not that top heavy. So by that rational, then sure, you may very well choose Darko. But "bust" can mean a lot of things I guess. Just depends on how you view it.

Man, I really wish Darko would not have been drafted by a team coached by Larry Brown. Things may very well have been different. Oh well.

And you should ALWAYS agree with me :)

Mishmin
12-16-2010, 11:42 PM

It's true I could have said decade, but in the spirit of this thread, the worst of the millennium (so far) just sounds more epic. And these were epic busts of the new millenium.. not necessarily Thabeet but I was curious to hear arguments for and against him.

cle12152433
12-17-2010, 12:55 AM
I went with Darko. The amount of talent in that draft was phenominal, and for the Pistons to get him was gross. 7 of the first 8 picks have actually been significant, with Darko being the only one who sucked.

1. LeBron James
2. Darko Milicic
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Chris Bosh
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Chris Kaman
7. Kirk Hinrich
8. TJ Ford

How do you NOT get anyone serviceable? I mean Morrison was huge, but DANG. How do you miss soo badly?

Thats hy I like Danilo Gallinari. I want to see a European player succeed. Andrea Bargnani has been ehh....okay. But not for the first overall. I hope Ricky Rubio comes over.

SA5195
12-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Morrison

MilwaukeeBAller
12-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, with the time Oden has seen on the floor, he has actually been pretty good, and Thabeet can't be considered a bust yet considering he's starting just his 2nd season in the NBA. That leaves Darko, Kwame and Morrison. Considering how good Morrison was in college, I expected much more and atleast Kwame and Darko have showed some signs of what could have been. Haven't really seen anything from Morrison once so ever.

Geargo Wallace
12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Nina Mercedez has one of the biggest busts that I've seen this millennium.

el_primo_nano
12-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Sam Bowie. Darko never gets burn, so i will go with Kwame Brown. He sucked big time.

brandonwarne52
12-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Darko never gets burn? What does that even mean?

John408
12-17-2010, 01:48 AM
darko was a bust...he's starting to come into his own over there in minny....oden..let me tell you after watching durant...LOL.......its like how they skipped jordan and drafted a chump named sam bowie...LOLOLOLOL

uptownfan
12-17-2010, 02:10 AM
If you put all these guys in the same draft, then I would have to say Morrison

But considering that the Pistons passed up D-Wade, Bosh and Carmelo, I'm going with Darko

Ebbs
12-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Oden for me. . . I personally don't even believe he would be that good if healthy. I said the day of the draft Portland would regret taking Durant foreva!

Raps18-19 Champ
12-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Morrison because people actually compared him to an all-time great.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/adam-morrison

Gators123
12-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Morrison because people actually compared him to an all-time great.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/adam-morrison

:speechless:

Sixerlover
12-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Adam Morrison easy. The man is out of the league in 3 years, and never got time in those 3 years. At least the other players are having careers / getting 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Nwsports22
12-17-2010, 03:15 AM
Adam Morrison easy. The man is out of the league in 3 years, and never got time in those 3 years. At least the other players are having careers / getting 2nd and 3rd contracts.

But he's the only one with a championship ring :facepalm:

cle12152433
12-17-2010, 03:19 AM
LMAO @ realizing Michael Jordan, one of the greatest basketball players ever, picked Kwame Browns 1st overall and Adam Morrison 3rd overall. Damn.

Sixerlover
12-17-2010, 03:28 AM
But he's the only one with a championship ring :facepalm:

Adam Morrison has 2 count em 2 rings. More than LeBron, Wade, Melo, Stoudemire, Paul, Williams, Rose, Bosh and Howard combined :pity:

Fnom11
12-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Darko because of who was picked behind him easily.

ugadawgsfan17
12-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Bust (buhst) adj - Adam Morrison
Thats not an adjective...